OLDMAIN80
December 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Picked Montana. Best fans in FCSxbowx (well maybe second best)xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
off the first page? THE HORROR! xrotatehx

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
So JMU beat Richmond at their place, I saw UR's game yesterday and their team looks a lot like um's only more talented

How big was Richmonds O-line and what kind of yards did they put on your D.

Don't be lazy. You can go to JMU's website and look up any stats you want.
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/teamstat.htm?ATCLID=791903&SPSID=71033&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
You sure about that?

Weber State -- 12th ranked scoring offense, 7th ranked total offense

Montana held them to 13 points

Texas State -- 7th ranked scoring offense, 8th ranked total offense

Montana held them to 13 points

And look at Weber's and Tx State's schedules, then look at JMU's. JMU's #s came against BCS Duke, and the then #3, #1, #5, #7, #12, #8, and #6 teams. Thats 7 top 12 and a BCS, with no Div II in there.

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Montana will NOT hold JMU to 13 points. You can take that one to the bank. Montana will be lucky to hold JMU to less than 28 points.

Unless its snowing or raining, JMU will score over 30.

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
JMU will not be overlooking anyone. But if you expect a team with the offense of JMU to be held to 13 points at home, I think you will be disappointed.

JMU has the 2nd ranked scoring offense in the country. This came with over half (maybe more depending on your view of the rankings) of our competition being top 25 teams, and with atleast UR, App State, Villanova x2, and Wofford being top 10 competition.

Furthermore, let's go down the list of teams that have held us under 30 points this year.

Duke (FBS) - held us to 7 points at Duke.
Maine - held us to 24 points in Maine in crappy weather.
Villanova - held us to 23 points in Philly in crappy weather.

Still think Montana will hold us to 13? Cause I don't. Do I think Montana is a bad team, absolutely not. I think they are a great team. But I don't think they will hold us to 13 points.... I also don't think we will hold them to 13 points either.

Make that top 12 including BCS Duke.

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I agree with your logic..... but I went with the more conservative approach since most people make the argument that the UMASS game wasn't a real top 25 (or top 12) win since they ended up being horrible.

But hey, we are barking up the same tree. JMU got held under 30 three times this year. Once against an FBS opponent, twice on the road, in the conference, in bad weather. We will score more than 13.

DuckDuckGriz
December 8th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I think JMU is a great team. That said, I hope some of the extremely confident Duke fans will be here if we pull the upset Friday xnodx. I have a feeling, however, they will be gone just as fast as they came if that's the case.

Down with the Foe!
December 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Isn't JMU like a 5 TD favorite?

;)

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I think JMU is a great team. That said, I hope some of the extremely confident Duke fans will be here if we pull the upset Friday xnodx. I have a feeling, however, they will be gone just as fast as they came if that's the case.

You know I'll be here. I don't know how confident you have to be to be EXTREME though. :D

We should win, but it's not like we're playing St. Mary's School for the Deaf and Blind (by the way, those ESPN commercials with the Deaf football team are incredible!!).

If we lose, we lose. It's the playoffs.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure how to say this without it sounding like smack, but here goes...

I think the difference in this game is each team's strength of schedule. Week after week, JMU has faced the biggest, toughest fastest teams in the country and beaten the top teams from the top two conferences. Montana hasn't really seen anyone outside the Big Sky.

I take nothing away from Montana, I know they have a lot of talent, but it's all relative to the other teams in the Big Sky. JMU has size and speed relative to the CAA and SoCon.

We saw this last year with Wofford, the year before with UMass and with JMU in '04. I wouldn't be surprised if JMU wins by double-digits, and I have been VERY conservative in my picks to date.

Well, we did play Cal Poly outside the Big Sky...

As far as the games against UMass, JMU, and Wofford, I think its ridiculous to say we lost because our talent was only relative to other Big Sky teams. I mean any of those games could (or should) have gone the other way. Not to mention we completely destroyed some damn good teams in the playoffs during those 2004 and 2006 runs. I think JMU wins this upcoming game the majority of the time, but I do think it will be close.

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Isn't JMU like a 5 TD favorite?

;)

I'm waiting to see the official line on the game. We were only a TD favorite against a team we had already beaten on the road. Against Montana, I doubt we will be any more than a 3 point favorite. AND, everyone's favorite sportswriter will pick us to lose... again... for like the 10th straight week.

CFallsGriz
December 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Wasn't that Corey Proctor?

But I agree. Horrible display which is nothing like what Griz Nation represents.

Let's make it a good, clean game. xthumbsupx

It was Kerry Mullan.

You won't be seeing any punches, other than the legal ones of course;)

CFallsGriz
December 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm waiting to see the official line on the game. We were only a TD favorite against a team we had already beaten on the road. Against Montana, I doubt we will be any more than a 3 point favorite. AND, everyone's favorite sportswriter will pick us to lose... again... for like the 10th straight week.

No, he hates us more...

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
JMU is averaging over 44 points a game at home.. unless bad weather is a factor.. Montana will likely have to score 30+ points to win. Not saying the Griz can't do it.. I just think they will have to score a lot to win.

th0m
December 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Oh I'll be here. I'm not gonna like it, and probably won't post as much as I would when victorious, but I'll be here.

Proud Griz Man
December 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Wrong !

http://www.docsports.com/college-bowl-game-odds.html

JMU minus 7. I am surprised the line wasn't more like 10 or 11.

Mr. Coulson will predict JMU to win. You can count on that.

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Wrong !

The odds makers must just be looking at the 1 by JMU's name when making their line. All of our lines have seemed way too large.

Wofford -11
Villanova -8.5 (I think)
and now
Montana -7

At least they've gotten smaller.

bandl
December 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Wrong !

We should place bets on what Coulson will actually predict. His two most hated programs in the country going at it in the semi-finals.... xrotatehx He can't win xlolx

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Wrong !

Gotta admit... I am a little surprised to see that. Thanks for looking that up though.

Still don't think Montana can hold us to 13 points.

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Gotta admit... I am a little surprised to see that. Thanks for looking that up though.

I really doubt we can/will either, but I think there's a chance we could win even if we don't. xpeacex

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I really doubt we can/will either, but I think there's a chance we could win even if we don't. xpeacex

No doubt. I don't think that you all can hold us to 13 points, but I don't think we can hold you all to 13 points.

Both teams will be in the 20s to 30s probably.

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
No doubt. I don't think that you all can hold us to 13 points, but I don't think we can hold you all to 13 points.

Both teams will be in the 20s to 30s probably.

Agreed.

I honestly would not be surprised to see both teams score 30. JMU by 3 again.... let's say 38 - 35 for now... may change later in the week. I want to see what Coulson says first.

GrizRchattybound
December 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM

How many do you think you can score on Montana?

Let's see where this goes xeyebrowx

I say you can't score of 28 on the Griz -

Do any of you think your D can hold our 2000lbs of Beef?

I say they tear away early on that weak middle of JMU that I have heard about by the end expect a heavy dose of Mr. Reynolds late int he game. YOu may get a lot of yards..but we don't give up much in points.

Say hello to 8 Man Football Montana Style! His name is Chase.

DuckDuckGriz
December 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
My prediction - more of a heart one than a head one I'll be honest.

Griz 24
Dukes 21

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM

I say they tear away early on that weak middle of JMU that I have heard about by the end expect a heavy dose of Mr. Reynolds late int he game. YOu may get a lot of yards..but we don't give up much in points.

Has Montana faced a spread option team like ours this year? I think it's hard to prepare for on film because the play might develop exactly like you watched on film but a different guy will get the ball.

As far as the weak middle. Our LBs are young, but not weak and our DTs are part of our strength on defense. You aren't the only team we've faced with a big offensive line.

StrikeJMU
December 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Gas prices are down Montana fans, you should be happy. You're still going to leave Harrisonburg disappointed but at least it won't hurt your wallet. xthumbsupx

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Has Montana faced a spread option team like ours this year? I think it's hard to prepare for on film because the play might develop exactly like you watched on film but a different guy will get the ball.

As far as the weak middle. Our LBs are young, but not weak and our DTs are part of our strength on defense. You aren't the only team we've faced with a big offensive line.

Caly Poly is the closet thing that we've faced, and we managed to hold the eventual #1 scoring offense in the country to 28 points at their place.

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Gas prices are down Montana fans, you should be happy. You're still going to leave Harrisonburg disappointed but at least it won't hurt your wallet. xthumbsupx

xlolx This kind of thing is only going to make a win that much sweeter if we get it. xnodx

JMU DJ
December 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
We should place bets on what Coulson will actually predict. His two most hated programs in the country going at it in the semi-finals.... xrotatehx He can't win xlolx

I'll put twenty on a brain aneurysm from not being able to compute.

srgrizizen
December 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure how to say this without it sounding like smack, but here goes...

I think the difference in this game is each team's strength of schedule. Week after week, JMU has faced the biggest, toughest fastest teams in the country and beaten the top teams from the top two conferences. Montana hasn't really seen anyone outside the Big Sky.

I take nothing away from Montana, I know they have a lot of talent, but it's all relative to the other teams in the Big Sky. JMU has size and speed relative to the CAA and SoCon.

We saw this last year with Wofford, the year before with UMass and with JMU in '04. I wouldn't be surprised if JMU wins by double-digits, and I have been VERY conservative in my picks to date.

I think JMU will win a close game, but this strength of schedule/conference argument has the status of an urban legend among east coast provincials, and you simply have no idea what you're talking about. It's just narcissistic self-gratification. The all time playoff record of BSC teams against teams now in the CAA is 5-4. Yeah, I know, but the BSC is a one team show. Well Montana is 2 - 3 in those games so the rest of the conference is 3-1. And oh yeah, UMs conference dominance proves everyone else in the BSC is weak, whereas the CAA actually rotates champions because they are so well balanced. Another equally valid explanation is that no one in the CAA has succeeded like UM in building and sustaining a dominant program. You guys repeat this bogus argument to each other so often I think you actually believe it. And Obama is really a Muslim? xlolx xlolx

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Caly Poly is the closet thing that we've faced, and we managed to hold the eventual #1 scoring offense in the country to 28 points at their place.

I'm assuming theirs is more pass heavy than ours. You definitely won't have to worry about that. I just think the Montana D, while good, will take some time to adjust to our offense. That could result in some big plays for Landers or Holloman.

blitz4
December 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
JMU-34
Montana-21

Landers runs wild and proves to be the difference maker.

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I think JMU will win a close game, but this strength of schedule/conference argument has the status of an urban legend among east coast provincials, and you simply have no idea what you're talking about. It's just narcissistic self-gratification. The all time playoff record of BSC teams against teams now in the CAA is 5-4. Yeah, I know, but the BSC is a one team show. Well Montana is 2 - 3 in those games so the rest of the conference is 3-1. And oh yeah, UMs conference dominance proves everyone else in the BSC is weak, whereas the CAA actually rotates champions because they are so well balanced. Another equally valid explanation is that no one in the CAA has succeeded like UM in building and sustaining a dominant program. You guys repeat this bogus argument to each other so often I think you actually believe it. And Obama is really a Muslim? xlolx xlolx

There's that and the fact that strength of conference means absolutely nothing when two teams are playing...

I do like the idea of being a provincial though.

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
This game will mean a little extra for Bobby. After his team got physically embarrassed four years ago, Hauck has slowly made his teams more and more physical. This game will be the test to see how much his team has changed since 04.

One question I have for JMU is how much has your offense changed in four years, or is it the same?

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
This game will mean a little extra for Bobby. After his team got physically embarrassed four years ago, Hauck has slowly made his teams more and more physical. This game will be the test to see how much his team has changed since 04.

One question I have for JMU is how much has your offense changed in four years, or is it the same?

Completely different to me. Almost everything is run out of the shotgun and is even more run oriented than in '04. A lot more option too (like, every play).

We have more athletes on this team that spread out over the field. They'll be in motion and at different spots on the field. It's a much faster team, I think, but maybe not as physical.

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm assuming theirs is more pass heavy than ours. You definitely won't have to worry about that. I just think the Montana D, while good, will take some time to adjust to our offense. That could result in some big plays for Landers or Holloman.

I hope we will be able to take care of some of the adjustments in practice this week. Granted I realize you cannot match team speed and whatnot, but I hope we don't give up many big plays early.

Possessions will be key in this game. Both teams are ball control teams. Expect about 8 possessions for each team. What each team will do with them will be critical. No room for a slow start for either team.

srgrizizen
December 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
JMU-34
Montana-21

Landers runs wild and proves to be the difference maker.

Montana does give up big yardage plays, but they have been very good lately at not giving up points. They'll probably have to do it again to win this game, i.e. "Landers runs wild between the 10 yard lines, but JMU loses a close one." May be wishful thinking, but it's going to be fun.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Completely different to me. Almost everything is run out of the shotgun and is even more run oriented than in '04. A lot more option too (like, every play).

We have more athletes on this team that spread out over the field. They'll be in motion and at different spots on the field. It's a much faster team, I think, but maybe not as physical.

Sounds like our offensive roles have reversed then. We were fast on offense and liked to spread the field out with short crossing patterns. This year we are definitely alot more physical upfront and like to pound on teams for 3 quarters and see if they are still standing in the fourth. The last nine weeks, the opposition hasn't been able to hold up. This will be our toughest challenge, but I'd like to think our big uglies can go about their business.

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Montana does give up big yardage plays, but they have been very good lately at not giving up points. They'll probably have to do it again to win this game, i.e. "Landers runs wild between the 10 yard lines, but JMU loses a close one." May be wishful thinking, but it's going to be fun.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

My X-factor for this game will be UM's redzone defense. If we can continue to stiffen and give up field goal attempts I like our chances in this game.

Dukie95
December 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I think our offese in '04 was the type of offense Mickey likes to run. A run-based offense with a big QB with escapability that can get some yards with his feet, but is an accurate thrower. Smash-mouth, run out the cock type offenses with a strong defense. That's the kind of offense we ran with Justin Rascati in '04 and will likely return to next year after Landers leaves.

However, his game plan has changed with Landers. Landers is quicker and more athletic than Rascati and the offense has been (temporarily) altered to leverage that. It's still run-based with the option, but Landers himself is the best runner with the ball. Landers' rushing numbers aren't there because he has had to escape blitzes, they're there because he's our best RB. He leads the CAA in rushing and pass eff (all players, not just QBs).

Our defense probably isn't as strong as it was in '04, but the defense has proven that it can rise to that next level when necessary in big situations (see UR, App St. and both Nova games)

Here's a video with some Landers hilights. (just try to ignore the crappy "walk this way" cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7o0t_dHI4

19Duke97
December 8th, 2008, 03:41 PM

JMU can score 30 on any FCS team in the nation, whether or not they will is left to be determined. Contrary to popular belief, if you stack the box, Landers can throw the ball and make you pay. We shall see what happens, I agree with my fellow JMU posters in that we have played a superior schedule, but all that matter this weekend is one game. May the best team win. FWIW, I think JMU wins by 7.

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Has Hauck said whether he'll kick it to McGee?

Villanova kicked off to him and had good success on coverage. I think the plan was to kick to him on punts but try to keep it away too (I confuse myself). Their punter usually put it in a perfect spot.

th0m
December 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
My X-factor for this game will be UM's redzone defense. If we can continue to stiffen and give up field goal attempts I like our chances in this game.

You may very well be right. JMU is 2nd in the nation in red-zone offense, scoring on 92% of their possessions, getting 43 TD's and 6 FG's in 53 trips.

One of the keys for JMU is keeping the ball. We've done this very well so far, but I noticed in the Montana-Weber playoff game that you guys got 14 points off of Weber State fumbles in the first quarter. That's definitely something to avoid.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 8th, 2008, 03:46 PM
You may very well be right. JMU is 2nd in the nation in red-zone offense, scoring on 92% of their possessions, getting 43 TD's and 6 FG's in 53 trips.

One of the keys for JMU is keeping the ball. We've done this very well so far, but I noticed in the Montana-Weber playoff game that you guys got 14 points off of Weber State fumbles in the first quarter. That's definitely something to avoid.

Montanans hit hard... good luck! xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Whenever we have played option offenses in the past we have been able to force turnovers. That includes the title game four years ago. If we can win the turnover battle, I think we will win. How does your defense do at forcing turnovers?

Screamin_Eagle174
December 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Griz play on the East coast since they don't travel that far much (or East at all except for maybe UNC).

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Whenever we have played option offenses in the past we have been able to force turnovers. That includes the title game four years ago. If we can win the turnover battle, I think we will win. How does your defense do at forcing turnovers?

Without looking, I think we were +10 coming into the playoffs and are probably there right now (-1 vs.Wofford and +1 vs. Nova).

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Without looking, I think we were +10 coming into the playoffs and are probably there right now (-1 vs.Wofford and +1 vs. Nova).
Thats pretty strong. We are +14 coming into this game. That +14 includes a -3 vs. Weber and a -4 vs. Central Washington. Not only do we do very well in the turnover battle, but we also force turnovers at critical moments.

th0m
December 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Both our offense and defense don't really create a lot of turnovers. As a result, we have a respectable turnover margin. In total 9 fumbles and 12 INT's gained to 8 fumbles lost and 4 INT's (last one in the Wofford game, before that it was all the way back to the ASU game in September).

Villanova's QB was sacked 5 times though.

Dukie95
December 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
There's that and the fact that strength of conference means absolutely nothing when two teams are playing...

You're right except when it comes to preparing the athletes for this game. I think Montana's been used to operating at a slower speed this season (since EWU) and JMU has had to play at 11 week after week.

It happens when conferences as a whole adjust to playing at the pace of the other conference members. A UNI poster said UNH was the fastest team they've played this season. I think Montana will have a similar experience with JMU...just as they did with Wofford and UMass and JMU in years past.

I'm sure they can adjust in the game, but I would imagine it's hard to prepare for speed. JMU's team isn't as physical as it was in '04, but it's more athletic and faster.

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
You're right except when it comes to preparing the athletes for this game. I think Montana's been used to operating at a slower speed this season (since EWU) and JMU has had to play at 11 week after week.

It happens when conferences as a whole adjust to playing at the pace of the other conference members. A UNI poster said UNH was the fastest team they've played this season. I think Montana will have a similar experience with JMU...just as they did with Wofford and UMass and JMU in years past.

I'm sure they can adjust in the game, but I would imagine it's hard to prepare for speed. JMU's team isn't as physical as it was in '04, but it's more athletic and faster.

You may be right considering speed, but we lost those playoffs game because we got physically beat up. Definately in 04, and again in 06. Wofford didn't so much beat us up, rather they out schemed us. A speed problem is alot easier to deal with than a team being too physical for you.

putter
December 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM
IMO speed won't be an issue. Poly had good team speed as did Texas State. The playoff losses to Umass and Wofford were due to scheme and coaching.

Wofford runs that option that the Griz almost never see. It is difficult to defend that option in less than a weeks time yet the Griz held Wofford to 23 points and 100 yards below their average. Our O could not take advantage of turnovers which left the defense hung out to dry. Hats off to the Terriers.

The UMass game was a game, IMO, of coaching. Brown and co. called all the right plays. Swing passes to Baylark when the Griz were in man coverage, tough running up the middle and yet it was a safety that made the difference.

Two different opponents and a 1 and 2 point loss where our O struggled with virtually no ground game. I think this game will be close as well.

mlbowl
December 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
but I would imagine it's hard to prepare for speed.

We heard the same thing from the Texas State fans.xwhistlex

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
IMO speed won't be an issue. Poly had good team speed as did Texas State. The playoff losses to Umass and Wofford were due to scheme and coaching.

Wofford runs that option that the Griz almost never see. It is difficult to defend that option in less than a weeks time yet the Griz held Wofford to 23 points and 100 yards below their average. Our O could not take advantage of turnovers which left the defense hung out to dry. Hats off to the Terriers.

The UMass game was a game, IMO, of coaching. Brown and co. called all the right plays. Swing passes to Baylark when the Griz were in man coverage, tough running up the middle and yet it was a safety that made the difference.

Two different opponents and a 1 and 2 point loss where our O struggled with virtually no ground game. I think this game will be close as well.

I think it will be close too, but our option is not like Wofford's (I don't know if that's what you were implying or not), it's more like the spread that West Virginia runs/ran. I guess it would be a similar comparison though (an option attack they've not seen) which might've been what you were saying.

I'm just glad we're at home...

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 04:10 PM

We're not Texas State xwhistlex xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

mlbowl
December 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
We're not Texas State xwhistlex xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

Agreed!...You guys are the #1 team for a reason...I'm just saying I don't think speed will be that much of a factor.xpeacex

Grizaholic17
December 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM
This game will come down to who comes out in the first few possessions and makes the statement. In most games, a team can recover from a TD, but this one will be different. Momentum in this game will keep a team up and the other one way down. Expect hard hitting first possessions with a lot of ground game. I'm excited to see how it unfolds. I haven't made a prediction on this game yet, so here it goes...

Griz: 31
JMU: 27

putter
December 8th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I think it will be close too, but our option is not like Wofford's (I don't know if that's what you were implying or not), it's more like the spread that West Virginia runs/ran. I guess it would be a similar comparison though (an option attack they've not seen) which might've been what you were saying.

I'm just glad we're at home...

No I was not really comparing JMU and Wofford. More responding to the above post about Woffords speed and losing to them. The closest thing to JMU, at least in my opinion, that the Griz have seen was Northern Arizona. They run a version of the spread and they had a good QB in Lance Kreisen. Kreisen is 6'3" and weighs 240lbs and ran very well. I don't think he is in the class of Landers but they are of the same cloth and you don't arm tackle him so the Griz have at least one game dealing with a large, athletic QB.

DX Man
December 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Montana will open up the playbook on this one.

gbhmt
December 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Yes, they will have to.

Eh not really. We've always been a base, balanced offense. Teams that play us have been preparing for the same thing all year and we haven't slowed down, don't see why we'd need to change it now.

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM

I think that you will find that Texas St is no JMU...

unigriff
December 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Montana will win :) UNI said so :)

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Montana needs a ball control offense.. long drives finished off with some type of score. You will neeed to keep the JMU offense off the field as much as possible as they are very explosive and Landers is a big play QB. I know most Montana fans have a lot of well deserved confidence in their defense.. but I do believe that JMU's offense is going to be very difficult to control. I expect a pretty high scoring game say..

JMU 34 Montana 24

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM
One thing JMU and Montana fans have in common. Their love for Coulson:
http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87255
http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87253
http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87264
http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87245
and most recent:
http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87346

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35058
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35120
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35171
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35212
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35227&sid=77141c40dcf73cb733231be21e4dcc8b

And these are all from just the past 5 days or so.

nmatsen
December 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM
GO GRIZ!

CAA'S elitist party ends Saturday!

DukeBluDevils09
December 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM
JMU by 14

polecat
December 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Well Grizzies, I have just finished watching the highlight videos of JMU and I have to say...You have no idea about what's about to hit you. You have been warned!

FCS Go!
December 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks polecat! xhurrayx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I think it will come down to Montana's monsterous Oline vs. JMU's fast blitzing style of defense. This game is a lot like Florida-Alabama IMO. JMU is the Gators and the Griz is Alabama. Both teams have speed and size but each one creates their own identity with each characteristic.

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I think it will come down to Montana's monsterous Oline vs. JMU's fast blitzing style of defense. This game is a lot like Florida-Alabama IMO. JMU is the Gators and the Griz is Alabama. Both teams have speed and size but each one creates their own identity with each characteristic.

JMU usually plays an 8 man front, but rarely blitzes. Over the years its been put 8 men in the box to try to stop the run, force the other team to pass a lot, don't blitz and hope their usually good (with this yr as 06' very) front four can generate enough heat on the QB to get some sacks & hurries and force him into some bad throws. At the same time, play the corners soft and don't give up the big play, which JMU doesn't often do through the air (although did several times vs UR I remember). Sczur's 59 reception for Nova last sat was caught only a few yards from the line of scrimmage and was a catch and run). bet that the other QB can't dink and dunk his team all the way down the field without some bad passes, drops, penalties, sacks. If a team has a good o-line, good receivers, and an accurate quick release QB, they can often dink and dunk JMU with much success. So more often than not, JMU's formula works, at least well enough to win, and sometimes it doesn't.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
JMU usually plays an 8 man front, but rarely blitzes. Over the years its been put 8 men in the box to try to stop the run, force the other team to pass a lot, don't blitz and hope their usually good (with this yr as 06' very) front four can generate enough heat on the QB to get some sacks & hurries and force him into some bad throws. At the same time, play the corners soft and don't give up the big play, which JMU rarely does through the air. Sczur's 59 reception for Nova last sat was caught only a few yards from the line of scrimmage and was a catch and run). bet that the other QB can't dink and dunk his team all the way down the field without some bad passes, drops, penalties, sacks. If a team has a good o-line, good receivers, and an accurate quick release QB, they can often dink and dunk JMU with much success. So more often than not, JMU's formula works, at least well enough to win, and sometimes it doesn't.

For some reason i remember JMU blitzing Lehigh alot in the '04 playoff game. JMU won that year because of their speed on defense and well a lil help from a personal foul call. Lehigh that year was able to control JMU's offense with great team speed on D themselves. With that said that's 4 years ago and i have to believe JMU's athletic ability has increased quite a bit since then. That being the case i just don't see Montana having the athletes to win this game.

Grizaholic17
December 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I talked to Blake LeBeaugh, a redshirt freshman who told me that the team thinks they have a pretty good shot. They know they have a big task in front of them, but their hopes are definitely not low.

JmuSkinsfan
December 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I talked to Blake LeBeaugh, a redshirt freshman who told me that the team thinks they have a pretty good shot. They know they have a big task in front of them, but their hopes are definitely not low.

Well I'd sure as hell hope they would think they'd have a shot. I'd be a bit concerned if they didn't ... wouldn't you?

JMU has a lot of team speed. Defense as well. Our DL is small but very quick. DT Sam Daniels is a stud. Wouldn't be shocked to see him get drafted. Reminds me a lot of Darnell Dockett at FSU back in the day. Undersized DT who uses speed to rush the gaps. Also, Jr. Arthur Moates has been breaking out recently. He had 3.5 sacks against 'Nova last week. And Abdul-Wahid, the vet on the line, is a stud as well. Linebackers are suspect. Have great speed and can really hit, but they have a hard time wrapping up. They have progressed nicely though.

Secondary is stout. We give up some big plays, but thats usually more an effect of QBs getting out of the pocket and being able to throw on the run. However, we have never given up a HUGE play. Usually we only give up medium length passes (10-20 yards) at most. We really have a bend, but don't break defense.

We play excellent against the rush (nova 30 carries 80 yards). We force a lot of 3rd and longs. That is usually when we get a pass rush and, a mobile qb like Whitney of 'Nova can roll out and find the seams in broken coverage 10-15 yards downfield (usually over the middle). I understand Montana's QB has the ability to throw on the run. That could help a lot for you guys. However, we have tremendous speed on the DL and we really get there quick. If he isn't prepared, look out. Whitney for 'Nova is damn mobile and we got to him a LOT last week. Also, earlier in the year, in the 2nd half against ASU, we stuffed AE and completely eliminated his rushing abilities.

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Well I'd sure as hell hope they would think they'd have a shot. I'd be a bit concerned if they didn't ... wouldn't you?

JMU has a lot of team speed. Defense as well. Our DL is small but very quick. DT Sam Daniels is a stud. Wouldn't be shocked to see him get drafted. Reminds me a lot of Darnell Dockett at FSU back in the day. Undersized DT who uses speed to rush the gaps. Also, Jr. Arthur Moates has been breaking out recently. He had 3.5 sacks against 'Nova last week. And Abdul-Wahid, the vet on the line, is a stud as well. Linebackers are suspect. Have great speed and can really hit, but they have a hard time wrapping up. They have progressed nicely though.

Secondary is stout. We give up some big plays, but thats usually more an effect of QBs getting out of the pocket and being able to throw on the run. However, we have never given up a HUGE play. Usually we only give up medium length passes (10-20 yards) at most. We really have a bend, but don't break defense.

We play excellent against the rush (nova 30 carries 80 yards). We force a lot of 3rd and longs. That is usually when we get a pass rush and, a mobile qb like Whitney of 'Nova can roll out and find the seams in broken coverage 10-15 yards downfield (usually over the middle). I understand Montana's QB has the ability to throw on the run. That could help a lot for you guys. However, we have tremendous speed on the DL and we really get there quick. If he isn't prepared, look out. Whitney for 'Nova is damn mobile and we got to him a LOT last week. Also, earlier in the year, in the 2nd half against ASU, we stuffed AE and completely eliminated his rushing abilities.

I would rather you guys be smaller and quicker on defense. Our running game won't need many homeruns, just six yards a pop. Right now our offense reminds me alot of yours 4 years ago. Decent passing game with some big play receivers, but a physical O-line with horses behind them that don't stop. This is gonna be a long week till Friday night.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 8th, 2008, 11:10 PM
CAA = Can't Advance Again :D

Proud Griz Man
December 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Well Grizzies, I have just finished watching the highlight videos of JMU and I have to say...You have no idea about what's about to hit you. You have been warned!

Re: Who will win: Weber or Monana (Part Dos) - 12-01-2008, 07:53 PM

Grizzies, after watching highlights of both teams, I don't think you have any idea of about what's about to hit you.

Re: Who will win? Texas St at Montana - 11-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Well Grizzies, I just finished watching every highlight film of your season. All I can say is that you have no idea about what's about to hit you. I would be shocked if the Bobcats don't put up 45 on you. You may put up 50 on us, but I don't think you can stop us after seeing what I just saw.

You're like a broken record. Seven posts and at least 3 of them say the same thing.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM
For some reason i remember JMU blitzing Lehigh alot in the '04 playoff game. JMU won that year because of their speed on defense and well a lil help from a personal foul call. Lehigh that year was able to control JMU's offense with great team speed on D themselves. With that said that's 4 years ago and i have to believe JMU's athletic ability has increased quite a bit since then. That being the case i just don't see Montana having the athletes to win this game.

Lehigh, I think you might be right about JMU blitzing in that 04' 1st round game vs Lehigh- Looking at the stats 11 sacks for -63 yards. And half/5.5 of those sacks weren't by the down 4 lineman.
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2004/lehigh.htm
I was at that game, and now that you mention it, remember JMU blitzing a lot that game. Maybe they blitzed more in 04', (I don't remember) or maybe it was just that game with Lehigh for some reason. But I don't remember them blitzing that much in most games 05'-this year.

Bottom line is I doubt you'll see JMU blitz much against Montana.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Yeah, Daniels may be the best DT in the CAA, but he was only 3rd team All CAA (which I think was a crock), as the 8 DLs on 1st & 2nd team were all defensive ends in a league that was loaded with talent at the defensive end.
DNR article from early Nov:
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=32996&CHID=3

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 12:42 AM
DNR: One More Chance To Salute Landers
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=33834&CHID=3

Grizaholic17
December 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM
You're like a broken record. Seven posts and at least 3 of them say the same thing.

that's utterly ridiculous

For everyone who thinks that WE THINK we're going to beat the crap out of JMU, it would be nice to see some evidence. If we win, it will be by single digits.

JMU Newbill
December 9th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Villanova did a pretty good job of containing McGee.... do you Griz fans think that will give your team some confidence to kick to him? (I hope so)

GOODY26
December 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
xthumbsupx James Madison........31 Montana.........28

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2007/10/10/rp_primary_Hansen_SCSU_1.jpg

uofmman1122
December 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM
http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2007/10/10/rp_primary_Hansen_SCSU_1.jpg.....That's neither UM, nor JMU....xeyebrowx

Green26
December 9th, 2008, 08:11 AM
UM is a very physical team and has an excellent strength program. The strength coach was the strength coach at Syracuse. Is JMU a physical team and how's its strength program?

UM's o-line is very good (as well as big), altho a bit banged up. The o-line is fairly mobile and there are many running plays with one or more pulling lineman. UM has given up alot of sacks, especially before the running game blossomed, but most of those were not around the tackles. They were often individual mistakes by lineman, TE's, rb's or qb. UM has given up 5 sacks in the last 3 games.

The 3 senior o-lineman are all being looked at by the NFL. The 3 juniors will likely get NFL evaluation next year. 3 of the o-lineman are I-A transfers. Quinn started 4 games as a frosh at Oklahoma, and would have been a starter there this year. Russum would have been a 3-yr. starter at Arizona St. He transfered after a minor freshman incident. Horn transferred from Oregon after his redshirt year. Assume he'd be a starter now at Oregon, but don't know for sure. Hauck has said he wouldn't trade his o-line for most of the players in the Pac-10. Two of the taller/bigger guys were very good high school basketball players.

The run blocking has not had problems with mobile d-lineman. Mobile defenses and hard-to-read blitzes resulted in too many sacks earlier in the season. UM gave up 7 sacks to Weber in the first game, but only 1 last week (and that was a coverage sack).

UM's run and pass game may be able exploit weak or inexperienced linebackers. UM's pass game usually does well against softer zone defenses.

UM has decent speed, and has faced a number of teams with very good speed. Besides CP and Texas St., conference teams like Sac St have very good speed, as do others.

The all-american safety runs a 4.44 40. The receivers have good speed, including 4.37 and 4.54 by the 2 top receivers. They have terrific hands, and are excellent blockers. UM has 3 d-ends with very good speed. One was a high school sprinter, and recruited as a safety. The other 2 are among the faster players on the team. One, whose brother played d-end at Miami and was a high round draft choice, ran a 4.49 this summer. The running back has good speed, and I don't believe anyone has caught him this year.

I believe UM can win this game. However, it will take a very good effort on both sides of the ball and good special teams. If UM can't slow down JMU's offense and the game is high-scoring, I doubt that UM will win. UM has the capability of scoring some points, but the offense has not always been consistent and sometimes needs alot of drives. With JMU's running offense and UM's emerged running offense, there probably won't be time for lots of drives.

UM's defense has been surprisingly good in the past two months, and has given up very points. It looks like JMU is very good in the red zone and on 3rd down efficiency. UM will have to find a way to reduce those percentages.

I feel more comfortable about playing JMU because our coaches have played JMU previously and know a decent amount about JMU. While the JMU offense must be difficult to defend, it's not like Wofford's unique offense, which UM had trouble preparing for, and stopping in the 4th quarter last year. The UM coaches spent considerable time in the off season going on the road to learn more about improving their defense agaist the option, and made some improvements to the option defense schemes.

It should be a good battle. I will be there. I enjoyed reading the comments in this thread. Thx.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM
that's utterly ridiculous

For everyone who thinks that WE THINK we're going to beat the crap out of JMU, it would be nice to see some evidence. If we win, it will be by single digits.

Go to e-griz. Lots of Montana fans think Montana will win by double digits.

jmufan999
December 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM
take all the emotion that Montana plays with at Wa-Griz, and then picture how our guys are going to play on Friday. not making a prediction just yet, but in the last 2 games, the defense especially FEEDS off of the crowd. the noise (as you know, Wa-Griz is probably the loudest FCS stadium) really negates the tackles' ability to hear the snap count, therefore giving our D-ends an advantage. i know you're used to seeing crowd noise affect a game, but this time it will be when you are on offense. but even besides the noise, the emotion is what's evident on the field. that sounds corny, but you can see it.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
UM is a very physical team and has an excellent strength program. The strength coach was the strength coach at Syracuse. Is JMU a physical team and how's its strength program?

UM's o-line is very good (as well as big), altho a bit banged up. The o-line is fairly mobile and there are many running plays with one or more pulling lineman. UM has given up alot of sacks, especially before the running game blossomed, but most of those were not around the tackles. They were often individual mistakes by lineman, TE's, rb's or qb. UM has given up 5 sacks in the last 3 games.

The 3 senior o-lineman are all being looked at by the NFL. The 3 juniors will likely get NFL evaluation next year. 3 of the o-lineman are I-A transfers. Quinn started 4 games as a frosh at Oklahoma, and would have been a starter there this year. Russum would have been a 3-yr. starter at Arizona St. He transfered after a minor freshman incident. Horn transferred from Oregon after his redshirt year. Assume he'd be a starter now at Oregon, but don't know for sure. Hauck has said he wouldn't trade his o-line for most of the players in the Pac-10. Two of the taller/bigger guys were very good high school basketball players.

The run blocking has not had problems with mobile d-lineman. Mobile defenses and hard-to-read blitzes resulted in too many sacks earlier in the season. UM gave up 7 sacks to Weber in the first game, but only 1 last week (and that was a coverage sack).

UM's run and pass game may be able exploit weak or inexperienced linebackers. UM's pass game usually does well against softer zone defenses.

UM has decent speed, and has faced a number of teams with very good speed. Besides CP and Texas St., conference teams like Sac St have very good speed, as do others.

The all-american safety runs a 4.44 40. The receivers have good speed, including 4.37 and 4.54 by the 2 top receivers. They have terrific hands, and are excellent blockers. UM has 3 d-ends with very good speed. One was a high school sprinter, and recruited as a safety. The other 2 are among the faster players on the team. One, whose brother played d-end at Miami and was a high round draft choice, ran a 4.49 this summer. The running back has good speed, and I don't believe anyone has caught him this year.

I believe UM can win this game. However, it will take a very good effort on both sides of the ball and good special teams. If UM can't slow down JMU's offense and the game is high-scoring, I doubt that UM will win. UM has the capability of scoring some points, but the offense has not always been consistent and sometimes needs alot of drives. With JMU's running offense and UM's emerged running offense, there probably won't be time for lots of drives.

UM's defense has been surprisingly good in the past two months, and has given up very points. It looks like JMU is very good in the red zone and on 3rd down efficiency. UM will have to find a way to reduce those percentages.

I feel more comfortable about playing JMU because our coaches have played JMU previously and know a decent amount about JMU. While the JMU offense must be difficult to defend, it's not like Wofford's unique offense, which UM had trouble preparing for, and stopping in the 4th quarter last year. The UM coaches spent considerable time in the off season going on the road to learn more about improving their defense agaist the option, and made some improvements to the option defense schemes.

It should be a good battle. I will be there. I enjoyed reading the comments in this thread. Thx.

Oh yeah, Quinn, thats the guy with the drinking problem, who got kick off the Sooners and has gotten arrested what, 4 times for DUI?
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0508/522414.html
But he doesn't sound as bad as some of the other outstanding citizens that have been on the Montana team. Sounds like Montana is bringing in a lot of rotten apples, esp the transfers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=3105863
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2912733&type=story

Whats that, 7 players arrested in the last year and a half? Montana has got JMU beat 7-1 in that department:
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=11452&CHID=2

jmufan999
December 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
forgot to add this. that emotion is HUGE when the weather is so incredibly cold. i realize both teams are used to the cold, that's not what i'm saying at all. i'm saying that in the 4th quarter, when both teams feel like *****, the crowd is what gets our guys over the hump and allows them to play fast.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/JMUN09_20081208-210853/145906/

terrierbob
December 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Good against the run and with the run on offense, iffy on pass offense and bad on passing defense. McGee makes our special teams a huge plus. How bout Montana?

Wofford was led by Mike Rucker with 107 yards and a touchdown, Dane Romero with 87 yards and four touchdowns, and Ben Widmyer with 98 rushing yards. And don't discount the final drive. We won a nailbiter at GSU with less time. xcoffeex

KNUTS
December 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM
forgot to add this. that emotion is HUGE when the weather is so incredibly cold. i realize both teams are used to the cold, that's not what i'm saying at all. i'm saying that in the 4th quarter, when both teams feel like *****, the crowd is what gets our guys over the hump and allows them to play fast.

You're right the team will be so demoralized at the crowd noise and all the hostility being froth their way that they will have to throw in the towel.xnonono2x

I don't know how they will react to the "Block that kick" chant and if you guys break out the "we got spirit yes we do" we're screwed!

Just saying the crowd will have little effect on us.

uofmman1122
December 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Oh yeah, Quinn, thats the guy with the drinking problem, who got kick off the Sooners and has gotten arrested what, 4 times for DUI?
But he doesn't sound as bad as some of the other outstanding citizens that have been on the Montana team. Sounds like Montana is bringing in a lot of rotten apples, esp the transfers.

Whats that, 7 players arrested in the last year and a half? Montana has got JMU beat 7-1 in that department:
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=11452&CHID=2WTF does this have to do with anything?

I guess if you're simply looking for things to make you feel better, that's fine, but you're kind of reaching with this one. Also, welcome to over a year ago. Last I heard, there's a semifinal game this weekend. Maybe you should refocus your attention on the team that's actually playing you. xrolleyesx

mlbowl
December 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Wow, how original!xrolleyesx Feel free to talk smack about our program but try to pick a topic that hasn't been discussed ad nauseumxdeadhorsex

LacesOut
December 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
JMU!
JMU!
JMU!

Dignan
December 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/JMUN09_20081208-210853/145906/

A bit of a scare that Landers is on crutches, even if they do say that it's no big deal. If he were to miss the game or be less that 100% it would change the complexion of the game completely. As it is, however, I believe that JMU wins this friday and it will be a little bit less of a nail biter than the last two games (not saying a blowout by any means, just that I don't think it'll go down to the wire so much).

Also interesting to see that Villanova's coach is doing Mickey's smack talking for him:

"I think it's a slam dunk for them here," Talley said. "They'll beat Montana. We would have beat Montana. JMU is an outstanding team. Richmond is an outstanding team.

"We're an outstanding team. The league is so strong. I'd be willing to take all our guys [vs. Montana]."

Just remember, it wasn't Mickey who said it! xcoffeex

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wofford was led by Mike Rucker with 107 yards and a touchdown, Dane Romero with 87 yards and four touchdowns, and Ben Widmyer with 98 rushing yards. And don't discount the final drive. We won a nailbiter at GSU with less time. xcoffeex

JMU held Wofford to their 3rd lowest rushing output of the yr. The 301 yards rushing Wofford got against JMU was Wofford's 3rd lowest rushing output behind only SC (185) and Citadel (279) Coming into the game Wofford avg 343 on the ground to lead the nation, and ended up rushing for over 300 in 10 of their 12 games.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Wow, how original!xrolleyesx Feel free to talk smack about our program but try to pick a topic that hasn't been discussed ad nauseumxdeadhorsex

I haven't read about it ad nauseum. I maybe click on 5% of the threads on here, if that. And most people on here its the same way- they only read select threads concerning their team or other teams in their conference, on their schedule, from their state, etc. So a lot of people on this thread, esp the JMU ones, probably haven't even heard about these arrests. So there's nothing wrong with me bringing it up.

mlbowl
December 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I haven't read about it ad nauseum. I maybe click on 5% of the threads on here, if that. And most people on here its the same way- they only read select threads concerning their team or other teams in their conference, on their schedule, from their state, etc. So a lot of people on this thread, esp the JMU ones, probably haven't even heard about these arrests. So there's nothing wrong with me bringing it up.

First of all...it was obviously intended as smack and has no business in a "discussion" thread. And secondly, I can guarantee you that "most people on here" have, at the very least, seen, if not participated in, one of the NUMEROUS threads concerning the topic.....but, whatever helps you sleep at nightxrolleyesx

HLNgriz
December 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Finally finished reading the whole thread. One thing that has not been mentioned (or I missed) is that most of our big plays this year have come not from a speedy RB or long pass to WR but because of very good down field blocking from our WR's. I see the key for the Griz is if they can pick it up in the passing game. We have WR's that are not affraid to go over the middle and block like mad-men.

The Griz have had three playoff games in a row. Griz-cat is a playoff game! Bobby mentioned on his TV show after the Brawl how hard it is for the First round because of having the Brawl the last week of the season.

I was at the Griz-cat game as well as the Weber game. WoW, I would not have believed that our D-could play this well. I think our D steps up and "slows" Landers down. Cole picks up his pass game, Griz win 31-27

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
First of all...it was obviously intended as smack and has no business in a "discussion" thread. And secondly, I can guarantee you that "most people on here" have, at the very least, seen, if not participated in, one of the NUMEROUS threads concerning the topic.....but, whatever helps you sleep at nightxrolleyesx

I call BS on that. I can guarantee you most people haven't. Probably 90% of the people on here, other than the hardcore ones, esp at this time of the yr, don't click on at least 95% of the threads.

mlbowl
December 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I call BS on that. I can guarantee you most people haven't. Probably 90% of the people on here, other than the hardcore ones, esp at this time of the yr, don't click on at least 95% of the threads.

Wow...I'm glad you are the voice for 90% of the people on herexrolleyesx

Silenoz
December 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Go to e-griz. Lots of Montana fans think Montana will win by double digits.
That is the nature of e-griz xlolx

JMU 31 Montana 24

Silenoz
December 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Random smack?
xeyebrowx

griz8791
December 9th, 2008, 11:21 AM
So they must all be thugs, right BDKJMU?

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Griz O-line catches Matthews' eye
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/12/09/sports/sports02.txt

But Montana (avg about 6'5 1/2, 302) isn't nearly the biggest O-line JMU has faced this season, at least in terms of weight. A couple have avg heavier.

Going back to the game notes, Duke and UMass were actually about as tall (avg about 6'5 1/2" also).

UMass (6'5", 6'8", 6'5", 6'3", 6'6") totaled the exact same as Montana in the # of inches and avg 303 to Montana's listed 302. So basically UMass and Montana have the same size lo-lines.

Duke (6'6", 6'6", 6'3", 6'5", 6'8") actually totaled one more inch in height than Montana's o-line, but was much lighter, only avg 270, which might be the lightest in all of I-A, certainly all of BCS.

But weight wise, NO ONE compared to NCCU, who avg over 6'4", 323:
6'6", 305
6'2", 323
6'2", 316
6'5", 347
6'6", 325

And they had a backup OT listed at 6'6", 394 xeekx

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Another shot: Griz remember last time team squared off with the Dukes
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/12/09/sports/sports01.txt

DuckDuckGriz
December 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
This has so many votes? Where the eff did all these Dukes fans come from? Seriously.

terrierbob
December 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
JMU held Wofford to their 3rd lowest rushing output of the yr. The 301 yards rushing Wofford got against JMU was Wofford's 3rd lowest rushing output behind only SC (185) and Citadel (279) Coming into the game Wofford avg 343 on the ground to lead the nation, and ended up rushing for over 300 in 10 of their 12 games.

FCS: averaged over 300, Citadel held us to < 300, JMU did not. Look, y'all won. My point is that to say you're "good against the run" when we got 301 yards, which isn't exactly Steel Curtain territory, is stretching it.

th0m
December 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
The Griz have had three playoff games in a row. Griz-cat is a playoff game! Bobby mentioned on his TV show after the Brawl how hard it is for the First round because of having the Brawl the last week of the season.

I know this will feed all the CAA haters, but JMU has already played the equivalent of a Championship run during the regular season (4 playoff teams, 3 on the road)

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
FCS: averaged over 300, Citadel held us to < 300, JMU did not. Look, y'all won. My point is that to say you're "good against the run" when we got 301 yards, which isn't exactly Steel Curtain territory, is stretching it.

JMU gave up to Wofford by far the most they had given up on the ground to anyone. Next closest was Nova with 229. And JMU just held Nova to 81 on the ground in the rematch. In the 12 team CAA, JMU was #3 against the run this yr either way you look at it: all games (132 yards per game) or conference only (103 yards per game). In my book, 3rd in a 12 team conference that is the best in I-AA is good.
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2008/confldrs.htm
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2008/confonly.htm

ChickenMan
December 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Another factor that may or may not come into play is JMU's ability to pressure the QB and Montana's apparent problems in protecting their QB. According to NCAA stats.. JMU averages 2.54 sacks per game (19th) while Montana is giving up 3.36 per game (111th). If Montana can establish their running game this apparent liability may not be significant. However.. if JMU can force the Griz to pass more than they would like.. QB pressure could become a factor.

DuckDuckGriz
December 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Another factor that may or may not come into play is JMU's ability to pressure the QB and Montana's apparent problems in protecting their QB. According to NCAA stats.. JMU averages 2.54 sacks per game (19th) while Montana is giving up 3.36 per game (111th). If Montana can establish their running game this apparent liability may not be significant. However.. if JMU can force the Griz to pass more than they would like.. QB pressure could become a factor.

That's a good point. Bergquist is good on the run but he has trouble backing into pressure out of the pocket. I hope the line can hold up and he holds his composure against a stout Duke D.

Silenoz
December 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
We don't really have any protection problems. Its mostly Bergquist hanging on to the ball waaaay too long, or trying to scramble and running right into a tangle of guys.

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I haven't looked at game to game, but my understanding was that the protection was getting better as the games progressed, is that just Berquist making better choices or the line suring up?

JMU Newbill
December 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Moats is a beast... hopefully he can atleast sneak through for one or two sacks

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I like the athleticism of our line to sprint through the legs of those behemoths they bred in Montana to sack their QB, say 5 times.

I also think said behemoths will create good running lanes for Chase.

gbhmt
December 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I haven't looked at game to game, but my understanding was that the protection was getting better as the games progressed, is that just Berquist making better choices or the line suring up?

Both. And we've just been passing less overall recently. The O-line is hitting its stride but Bergquist doesn't seem as comfortable in the pocket, so he's quicker to bail out and scramble than he was before. Less sacks, but more blown plays.

gbhmt
December 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Where'd all the MSU fans go??

I need a new quote for my sig.

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Where'd all the MSU fans go??

I need a new quote for my sig.

Howza bout this gem from cats2506?

you said Idaho State!

Some of your players were on the sidelines at Iowa (2006) and Oregon (2005)

At many of your BSC away games you have more fans than the home team. um does not do OOC road games.

Probabley the only hostile game that any of your players have played in was at MSU (2007)

gbhmt
December 9th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Howza bout this gem from cats2506?

(2007)

Meh. Incorrect but not as overall embarrassing as what I've got currently.

CrazyCat
December 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
"You are a smelly pirate hooker."

placidlakegriz
December 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM
"You are a smelly pirate hooker."
are you one in the same??

crazywelch wrote:
Montana Grizzly Football: A Century of Dominance!!!

jmufan999
December 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM
[Montana has] twice played against one of the top rushers in the nation in Weber's Smith.

did you play against him? yes. did you play WELL against him? well...

Before Montana played Weber State/Trevyn Smith the first time, here were his total offensive numbers against FCS or lower opponents at the time:
-Montana-Western (Div. II): 157 yds
-Dixie State (Div. II): 146 yds
-@ Sacramento State (FCS): 162 yds

I’m not counting FBS teams, since it’s apples/oranges. Different FBS teams approach FCS games differently (it actually would have helped my argument by adding them anyway). Prior to playing Montana the first time, he was averaging 155 (even) yards/game. Then he played Montana:

212 yds, his 4th best output of the entire year (8.15 yds/touch)

Maybe that was a fluke, right? I mean, it was a road game. Before this past Saturday, he was at 180.45 ypg on the season. So here are the numbers from last Saturday in Missoula:

233 yards, his BEST output of the season (8.96 yds/touch)

So not only did he do better in Missoula, but he did better against Montana than he did against TWO D-II teams. Far better, actually.

One last stat that jumps out at me:
TEAM YARDS/CARRY (so, we're not looking at attempts, just what happened when you DID run)

Montana: 3.88 yards/carry
JMU: 5.74 yards/carry

i'm sure there are plenty of stats in Montana's favor as well, but obviously, i'm not looking those up. :) both teams will be playing their hardest on friday, without question.

CrazyCat
December 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM
are you one in the same??

crazywelch wrote:
Montana Grizzly Football: A Century of Dominance!!!

No. Are you eastcoast?

HLNgriz
December 9th, 2008, 03:30 PM
"

So not only did he do better in Missoula, but he did better against Montana than he did against TWO D-II teams. Far better, actually."

63 came on one play. Weber ran it to perfection, great execution. We had a blitz setup and the screen pass was perfect. Take those yards away and he had a average day.

grizband
December 9th, 2008, 03:48 PM
"

So not only did he do better in Missoula, but he did better against Montana than he did against TWO D-II teams. Far better, actually."

63 came on one play. Weber ran it to perfection, great execution. We had a blitz setup and the screen pass was perfect. Take those yards away and he had a average day.
The ref also missed a blatant hold on that screen play. xlolx

GOKATS
December 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM
No. Are you eastcoast?

He's lied about it before...............xnodx xliarx

ViennaSpider
December 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Although I'd like to see Montana upset the Dukes for purely selfish reasons, I don't think that's going to happen. Too much offensive talent, e.g., Landers, Griff Yancey, and Scotty McGee.

GrizNation93
December 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Griz don't stand a chance in this game. I don't know why they are even bothering making that long flight across country.

jmufan999
December 9th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Griz don't stand a chance in this game. I don't know why they are even bothering making that long flight across country.

hey jmu fans, let's start counting the number of times a montana fan says something like this. i've already seen at LEAST 10 in the past two days, from AGS and CAA Zone. i'll start.

one!

GrizNation93
December 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
hey jmu fans, let's start counting the number of times a montana fan says something like this. i've already seen at LEAST 10 in the past two days, from AGS and CAA Zone. i'll start.

one!

Well, its true. CAA is the best conference in the country. The Griz haven't seen a team like them all year. The Griz won't know how to handle the noise. The Griz got lucky that the NCAA screwed Weber and made them play in Missoula. The Griz record is a fluke because they play in a weak conference. All these things are true.

SeattleGriz
December 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Well, its true. CAA is the best conference in the country. The Griz haven't seen a team like them all year. The Griz won't know how to handle the noise. The Griz got lucky that the NCAA screwed Weber and made them play in Missoula. The Griz record is a fluke because they play in a weak conference. All these things are true.

What he said.

Tubby Raymond
December 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Landers is too much for any defense I've seen this year

GOKATS
December 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM

one!

You JMU folks just don't know the typical griz fan. If you're not blowing smoke up their ass 24/7 telling them how great they are they go into this faux 'woe is me' routine. It means nothing...............xwhistlex xwhistlex

GrizNation93
December 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
You JMU folks just don't know the typical griz fan. If you're not blowing smoke up their ass 24/7 telling them how great they are they go into this faux 'woe is me' routine. It means nothing...............xwhistlex xwhistlex

Now THAT'S comedy! Poor Bobcat fan. :(

Green26
December 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM
999, while you're at it, why don't you count the number of times JMU or CAA posters say or imply that Montana doesn't stand a chance?

Screamin_Eagle174
December 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Why is this thread still continuing? Everybody knows that the Griz have no chance in this game. It was over before it started. xwhistlex

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
All I can say with my east coast bias is... well...

Welcome to the east coast where the real college football is played!

Green26
December 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Some miscellaneous corrections and comments.

JMU999, UM averages 4.4 yards per carry, not 3.9 (3.9 is what UM's opponents have averaged). The large number of sacks have caused our qb to lose 306 yards. Backing out the sacks, yards per carry is 5.05.

Yes, sacks have been a problem. However, only 5 sacks in past 3 games.

Smith is a very good back. I think he'll make an all-american team. In addition to his 63 yard run, he also got something like 28 on the last play of the game. His running killed UM in the first game, but wasn't a big factor in the second game.

fencer24
December 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM

By the way, best of luck with whoever the Bobcats are playing this weekend. Uh, who are they playing again?

Screamin_Eagle174
December 9th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Eastern Washington was wine country, not Eastern Montana?

Just seems like there's a lot of sour grapes over there in Bozeman. xwhistlex

Silenoz
December 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Must be the whole "little sister" thing :D

MTGrizzFan
December 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
By the way, best of luck with whoever the Bobcats are playing this weekend. Uh, who are they playing again?

Awww...Take it easy on the poor kitties. This is their only form of entertainment this time of year.

GOKATS
December 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Eastern Washington was wine country, not Eastern Montana?

Just seems like there's a lot of sour grapes over there in Bozeman. xwhistlex

No sour grapes, you don't live in Montana- we hate each other and that's life. It's real easy right now for the griz fans to piss & moan because we don't support them, but it doesn't make any difference tomorrow when the sun comes up (well, when the sky turns a lighter grey in Missoula's case).xsmiley_wix

BTW, the last couple games I supported WSU and last year I supported the Eagles. I'll readily support any Big Sky team except for one, simple fact of life.

CrazyCat
December 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
"It's kinda fun to go and play on the road, you got the whole crowd booing you.. the student section is screaming profanities at you.. I mean one of the funnest games I've ever played in was last year down in Bozeman and that's about as hostile as it gets...I think it's going to be alot like Bozeman." UM QB Cole Bergquist on plaing JMU on the road

JMU DJ
December 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Oh stop it you! You're making me blush! You Montana fans are just the kindest, most generous fans I've ever met in my life! Your team is just to powerful on both sides of the ball, there's no way our streamer throwing fans will be able to generate enough noise to scare that mean ol' grizzly bear. I salute the powerhouse of football. I mean, come on, you guys have been to the playoffs every year since 1993 and have won two national championships!xeekx xrotatehx xeekx We just can't compete.. Congratulations on your victory. xbowx xbowx xbowx

Hellgate60
December 9th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Oh stop it you! You're making me blush! You Montana fans are just the kindest, most generous fans I've ever met in my life! Your team is just to powerful on both sides of the ball, there's no way our streamer throwing fans will be able to generate enough noise to scare that mean ol' grizzly bear. I salute the powerhouse of football. I mean, come on, you guys have been to the playoffs every year since 1993 and have won two national championships!xeekx xrotatehx xeekx We just can't compete.. Congratulations on your victory. xbowx xbowx xbowx

Good but I think you need a little bit more practice. Go on to egriz and see how the experts play the disrepect card. xlolx

BCS Sucks
December 9th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Speaking of egriz did anyone see the Rodney Landers/chuck norris jokes they are hilarious

JMU DJ
December 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Good but I think you need a little bit more practice. Go on to egriz and see how the experts play the disrepect card. xlolx

HOLY COW! All hail the mighty Grizz nation! They are even the masters of disrespect! There's no way JMU wins this game.

Montana.... xbandwagonx .... here I come!

Hellgate60
December 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
HOLY COW! All hail the mighty Grizz nation! They are even the masters of disrespect! There's no way JMU wins this game.

Montana.... xbandwagonx .... here I come!

Wow! I was actually making fun of egriz. Glad you caught the sarcasm

griz8791
December 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Apparently you didn't get the memo disqualifying CAA teams and fans from the underdog/disrespect routine.xreadx

Peems
December 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
This one was my favorite from eGriz:

Rodney Landers is the real father of James Madison and proof read and edited the constitution before he would let him sign it. Because of Rodney we have the right to bear arms.

JMU DJ
December 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Apparently you didn't get the memo disqualifying CAA teams and fans from the underdog/disrespect routine.xreadx

Sorry, didn't get that memo... bad case of the Tuesdays.

TheValleyRaider
December 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM
James Madison
I'm picking the Dukes because I think they're the best team in the country this year. Add that to the fact that Montana has to travel out to Harrisonburg on a short week, and another great season from the Grizzlies ends at the hands of the Dukes

Native
December 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
agreed. But losing still hurts, my hopes have slowly started to rise with the team, and I want nothing more than for this sweet ride to continue. By far the biggest test will be Landers, the Griz have not seen a QB like him at all, the closet would probably be Dalley and even he isn't that close.

Have you watched Landers? ...live? ...on tape? What makes him so good?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM

He is the second coming of Tony Romo, do not question your god Native. No earthly man can tackle him nor stand in his presence, unless you are Jessica Simpson xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx :D

mlbowl
December 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM

If you weren't losing to us every year....your smackhanded comment wouldn't mean anythingxnodx

mlbowl
December 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM

What BCS bowl game is "BCS" Duke going to?

putter
December 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM

one!

Actually, on the CAAZone board, most JMU fans are saying this for us. What wrong with a little smack between friends???? xrotatehx

Peems
December 10th, 2008, 02:37 AM

what makes him so good/difficult for the Griz is his running. After watching more of him, he's more like Kriesen from NAU, but better and he has better talent around him too. But apart from NAU and Cal Poly kinda, the Griz have not seen a rushing QB at all. And as JMU fans will attest to Landers is more like a RB who can throw. He's powerful, shifty and controls the entire offense. This will be a test

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM
University of Montana - 24
The State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg - 21

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
University of Montana - 24
The State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg - 21

At least as The State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg we have some good lookin cheerleaders xcoolx

griz8791
December 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
At least as The State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg we have some good lookin cheerleaders xcoolx

The JMU hotties thread on egriz this week is outstanding. xbowx

th0m
December 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM

xlolx Just found that thread on eGriz. Indeed there are some nice specimen. Too bad they won't be as scarcely clad due to the temperature xsmhx

GolfingGriz
December 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM
xlolx Just found that thread on eGriz. Indeed there are some nice specimen. Too bad they won't be as scarcely clad due to the temperature xsmhx

Thats never stopped our Montana girls before.

bandl
December 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Thats never stopped our Montana girls before.

That's because they have a thick layer of fur all over their bodies.

griz8791
December 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
[Rimshot]xrotatehx

JMU Newbill
December 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
That's because they have a thick layer of fur all over their bodies.

ROTFL at work!

srgrizizen
December 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I was really worried about UM's chances in this game because JMU is a very good program and this year has a truly exceptional player in RL. But now I find out they're also in the CAA. Oh my God! It's understandable why JMU's great fans would show confidence in their team, but now even Villanova coaches weigh in with boasts about how they would manhandle the Griz', because, well, because any CAA team would. So let's hear it from the other ten schools. Jump in and tell us how, regardless of where you finished in the CAA, you would cruise past the Griz. Has ther ever been a year when the FCS Champion was not from the CAA? What? ASU? Couldn't be.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I should neg rep you for not posting a link! How inconsiderate!!! xnonox

GrizNation93
December 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Here you go: http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35198

UncleSam
December 10th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I was just checking on Montana's W/L record away from the friendly confines of Missoula and it seems that the nasty Griz are much more like docile Teddys when playing a road playoff game. Since 1996 Montana is 1-6 away from their home field advantage. Playing JMU in Harrisonburg, VA won't improve that awful road record.... the Griz will be 1-7 by about 11pm Friday.

griz8791
December 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM

I beg your pardon. That really was rude of me.

griz8791
December 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I was just checking on Montana's W/L record away from the friendly confines of Missoula and it seems that the nasty Griz are much more like docile Teddys when playing a road playoff game. Since 1996 Montana is 1-6 away from their home field advantage. Playing JMU in Harrisonburg, VA won't improve that awful road record.. the Griz will be 1-7 by about 11pm Friday.

Our crappy road playoff record isn't exactly news. On the other hand, think how mortifying it would be to be to lose a home playoff game to us. Especially if you are a CAA team. That goes double if you are JMU and have the 1 seed. I mean, if we lose, the crappy 1-6 road record goes to a crappy 1-7 road record which incrementally isn't that much worse than it already is, plus the inevitable additional year of being the target of all AGS ridicule and the designated conversational ice-breaker for newbies who can't think of anything else to say. Been there, done that.

But if we beat a CAA team at their place? Ouch. That would be good for hundreds of pages of smack.

GolfingGriz
December 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I was just checking on Montana's W/L record away from the friendly confines of Missoula and it seems that the nasty Griz are much more like docile Teddys when playing a road playoff game. Since 1996 Montana is 1-6 away from their home field advantage. Playing JMU in Harrisonburg, VA won't improve that awful road record.... the Griz will be 1-7 by about 11pm Friday.

1-6? When did we win a road playoff game?

We are 0-7 on the road alltime on the road in the playoffs. You're right about one thing though. We will be 1-7 after Friday night.xsmiley_wix

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM
1-6? When did we win a road playoff game?

We are 0-7 on the road alltime on the road in the playoffs. You're right about one thing though. We will be 1-7 after Friday night.xsmiley_wix

Must be counting the 95 win vs. Marshall at their field.

GolfingGriz
December 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Must be counting the 95 win vs. Marshall at their field.

Well he said since 96, so I have no idea what he is trying to say.

Live4Griz
December 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Well he said since 96, so I have no idea what he is trying to say.

Or 2001 Chipper. Neutral site...on the road nevertheless.

jmufan999
December 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Some miscellaneous corrections and comments.

JMU999, UM averages 4.4 yards per carry, not 3.9 (3.9 is what UM's opponents have averaged). The large number of sacks have caused our qb to lose 306 yards. Backing out the sacks, yards per carry is 5.05.

Yes, sacks have been a problem. However, only 5 sacks in past 3 games.

Smith is a very good back. I think he'll make an all-american team. In addition to his 63 yard run, he also got something like 28 on the last play of the game. His running killed UM in the first game, but wasn't a big factor in the second game.

but they DO count. just like the guy that said "one of those runs was a 60 yarder". does it matter? that means your DB's lack the closing speed on the guy! that's really not something to be proud of, that's letting up big plays. you'll see more than a few on friday.

jmufan999
December 10th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Our crappy road playoff record isn't exactly news. On the other hand, think how mortifying it would be to be to lose a home playoff game to us.

i think what would be mortifying is if it was proved AGAIN to the entire country that Montana tends to lose when they leave Missoula (do you really see 0-7 as a fluke? SEVEN flukes? that's a trend). you're an optimistic bunch, i'll give you that.

Grizaholic17
December 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
i think what would be mortifying is if it was proved AGAIN to the entire country that Montana tends to lose when they leave Missoula (do you really see 0-7 as a fluke? SEVEN flukes? that's a trend). you're an optimistic bunch, i'll give you that.

I just don't think that the argument of losing in playoffs should be used. I don't know, I think we get the raw deal with it a lot of times...It's the playoffs...Anyone can win...we just happen to lose on the road...but it's not like we don't lose at home either.

griz8791
December 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
(do you really see 0-7 as a fluke? SEVEN flukes? that's a trend). you're an optimistic bunch, i'll give you that.

Nowhere to go from here but up, 999.

GolfingGriz
December 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I don't know where in this thread, but I pointed out that eventhough we have yet to win on the road we have been very close. It is just a matter of time and I think the trend ends on Friday night.

Peems
December 11th, 2008, 01:04 AM
None of the guys on the team now were on the team during our last road playoff game, hell not even the coach was!!!

Grizaholic17
December 11th, 2008, 01:17 AM
None of the guys on the team now were on the team during our last road playoff game, hell not even the coach was!!!

exactly. hahaha. that's why i think it's funny we still fume over things of the past. I guess they are a setting stone though. Whatever floats your boat.

cvbison1
December 11th, 2008, 01:35 AM
this is going to be a great game, no doubt about it. i think JM has the advantage but i want to see the Griz playing in Chat. I wish it was at wash-griz stadium though. it'd be a fun one to go to.

Dignan
December 11th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I could see why it would be difficult for Montana on the road. Once the playoffs come around it's almost guaranteed that wherever they have to travel to is going to be really far away, so the travel sucks. Add to that the substantial difference between the very strong home field advantage they have in their own stadium and playing in a hyped up playoff atmosphere in another stadium and I could see it making a bigger difference to them than to other teams. They say that a normal home field advantage is a 3 point advantage for the home team, but my guess is that the swing between playing at home and on the road for Montana is larger than that.

mvemjsunpx
December 11th, 2008, 02:01 AM
but they DO count. just like the guy that said "one of those runs was a 60 yarder". does it matter? that means your DB's lack the closing speed on the guy! that's really not something to be proud of, that's letting up big plays. you'll see more than a few on friday.

You're not serious, are you? xeyebrowx

Sacks count as negative rushing yards, but are really about the passing game. Losing rushing yards on sacks doesn't say much about your running game at all.

The whole NCAA policy of counting sacks as negative rushing yards is stupid. They should do what the NFL does & take away passing yards instead.

GrizFamily
December 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I could see why it would be difficult for Montana on the road. Once the playoffs come around it's almost guaranteed that wherever they have to travel to is going to be really far away, so the travel sucks. Add to that the substantial difference between the very strong home field advantage they have in their own stadium and playing in a hyped up playoff atmosphere in another stadium and I could see it making a bigger difference to them than to other teams. They say that a normal home field advantage is a 3 point advantage for the home team, but my guess is that the swing between playing at home and on the road for Montana is larger than that.

Nice post. Well thought out and well said. I had a bad taste of the JMU fans in 04 but that was mostly my dissappointment in the outcome of the game, not to mention some of the things that happened in the game that were uncharacteristic of our program. But since then I have found your fans to be very knowledgable and fair. Wish I could come to Harrisonburg tomorrow. Maybe some of you will still make it up to Nooga to suupport the Griz in the chipper ;-)

veinup
December 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Definitely on point. Wish we were playing this one at wa-griz..

gbhmt
December 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM

The lone DB that was in the area that wasn't blitzing was being (obviously illegally) tackled by a lineman. And I'd say they do have the closing speed considering they brought him down down the field, he didn't get into the endzone.

jmufan999
December 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM
my only point is that the argument "well, ____ yards came on 1 run." it means NOTHING. yards are yards, however you get them. that's all i'm saying. i do like stats, but no one is saying that stats will win the game. the better team will.

Monarch History
December 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
JMU 17-14 in a squeaker this week against Montana. To be honest what do I know?

GrizFamily
December 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
JMU 17-14 in a squeaker this week against Montana. To be honest what do I know?

About as much as anyone else on this board and way more than a few. xeyebrowx

JMU_Fan_2007
December 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know where ticket sales are at for this game?

GrizFamily
December 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM

The JMU ticket office?xsmiley_wix

BCS Sucks
December 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM
The JMU ticket office?xsmiley_wix

Good Call xlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
my only point is that the argument "well, ____ yards came on 1 run." it means NOTHING. yards are yards, however you get them. that's all i'm saying. i do like stats, but no one is saying that stats will win the game. the better team will.

The point would be that, it wouldn't matter if you ran for 99 yards every time you touched the ball if you don't get into the endzone. Your stats may look good, but if you don't get points, it does't make a difference in the game.

Mark Twain once said: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." xreadx

GrizRchattybound
December 11th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Good Call xlolx

Puhhhhlease tell me that game is sold out.

xnonono2x

madisonfan87
December 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Your a JMU fan? xoopsx

blur2005
December 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Puhhhhlease tell me that game is sold out.

xnonono2x
I heard something about 5,500 student tickets sold.

JMU2004
December 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
15k as of this evening is a safe bet.

A few hundred walk up crowd tommorrow, and there you go.

madisonfan87
December 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I hope the game sells out as it will be a huge bummer if its not, but then again the game is on national t.v. that just about everyone in Harrisonburg and on campus can watch. CN8 is not available at my townhouse as we are stuck with NTC.

Grizaholic17
December 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM
The game will sell out...i'm not worried. Wonder what our grizzlies are thinking right about now?

GrizNation93
December 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
The game will sell out...i'm not worried. Wonder what our grizzlies are thinking right about now?

Let's get it on!!!

petethepenguin15
December 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I was hoping these teams would meet sometime. This is going to
be an AMAZING GAME. i gotta take Jmu but it could go either way.
congrats to who ever wins this one.

placidlakegriz
December 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Only 22,785 views on this thread. What's the deal?

Peems
December 12th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Coulson picked JMU. Let's go Griz!!!!

DB_Atlantic10
December 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
JMU 17-14 in a squeaker this week against Montana. To be honest what do I know? JMU at home this year....

NCCU - 56
UMass - 52
App St - 35
Hofstra - 56
Delaware - 41
W&M - 48
Wofford - 35
Villanova - 31

You may want to raise your score some...even if you up Montana's score....

Screamin_Eagle174
December 12th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I was hoping these teams would meet sometime.

Yeah, 2004 doesn't count or anything. xwhistlex

JmuSkinsfan
December 12th, 2008, 03:00 AM
6,500 student tickets. absolutely absurd. especially considering that Appy game earlier this year only had about 5,500 students and that game had been built up and the tickets were free AND students were still here. The freshman are mostly gone...yet we still sold 6,500 student tickets. We are the loudest anyway, so that's all that matters to me

Dignan
December 12th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Yeah, 2004 doesn't count or anything. xwhistlex

They played in 2004? What was it, an exhibition game?

xrolleyesx

bandl
December 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Let me see if I’ve got this right… xcoffeex

A) If you say that JMU is going to win, then you are wrong and simply an idiot according to Montana supporters
B) If you say that Montana is going to win, then you wrong and a simple idiot according to JMU supporters

With me so far? xcoolx

With that said, it’s also safe to assume that:

The game does not actually need to be played on the football field, based on said supporter opinions and votes on this thread, and supported by the extremely thorough and unwavering statistical analysis presented by both sides. We can simply employ a simple idiot to plug in said statistics into a BCS computer system and simulate the game in a virtual world. The end result being that neither team will win (a ‘tie’ due to 15 overtimes resulting in extreme team fatigue) and that Appy State will still receive at least one #1 vote in the final TSN poll.

Sound about right? xeyebrowx xthumbsupx

GaSouthern
December 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Not wanting to read back over 40+ pages, what is the vegas line on this game?

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Not wanting to read back over 40+ pages, what is the vegas line on this game?

Last I seen was -7 JMU.

th0m
December 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I think JMU is a 7 point favorite.

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Article in the DNR about Montana's program:

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=33967&CHID=3

Thought it was pretty good.

uofmman1122
December 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Article in the DNR about Montana's program:

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=33967&CHID=3

Thought it was pretty good.I don't know who this Coach "Houck" is....I sure it's Bobby coaching today, and not some imposter. xlolx

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I don't know who this Coach "Houck" is....I sure it's Bobby coaching today, and not some imposter. xlolx

I think the writer's done that all week. xoopsx xoopsx

DB_Atlantic10
December 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I would rather you guys be smaller and quicker on defense. Our running game won't need many homeruns, just six yards a pop. Right now our offense reminds me alot of yours 4 years ago. Decent passing game with some big play receivers, but a physical O-line with horses behind them that don't stop. This is gonna be a long week till Friday night.
You do realize that JMU's offensive line is just as big....so how will your defensive front hold up...are they equal to the JMU's size and speed wise? This has to be taken into account....

GrizNation93
December 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
You do realize that JMU's offensive line is just as big....so how will your defensive front hold up...are they equal to the JMU's size and speed wise? This has to be taken into account....

I think these teams are VERY similar other than at QB (where you have the advantage) and RB (where we have the advantage). Should be a great game!!

Peems
December 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I like how the article called it the "North End Zone Culture" xlolx. Great article though, very nice of them to do that xnodx

Peems
December 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM
BTW, I've had two dreams about the game so far.

1st dream: The Griz are in it till the end, down by 7 and they fumble JMU recovers and then landers runs in for another score and JMU wins by 14.

2nd Dream: It's a shootout and the Griz end up winning 84-79.

I'm nervous about both dreams

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
BTW, I've had two dreams about the game so far.

1st dream: The Griz are in it till the end, down by 7 and they fumble JMU recovers and then landers runs in for another score and JMU wins by 14.

2nd Dream: It's a shootout and the Griz end up winning 84-79.

I'm nervous about both dreams

30-13 Griz winning was mine. Somthing odd about that 13 xsmiley_wix The JMU fans were not happy in my dream either, hope it works out, but it won't be the first dream of mine crushed if it doesn't :D

SeattleGriz
December 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
JMU's fairy tale season ends with the one team that started the karma wagon.

Hate to quote myself, but I called it.

Rep points welcome.

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hate to quote myself, but I called it.

Rep points welcome.

Never on request.:D

Mountain Panther
December 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Can I vote again? xconfusedx

Screamin_Eagle174
December 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Well, I don't know about 233 of you, but I voted correctly! xthumbsupx

GrizRchattybound
December 12th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Amazing considering we were at least 50 point dogs going into it...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:66CYQfBZ_2l90M:http://www.numisgems.com/images/ALIMPHS016056.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Wellington
December 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM
My pred was like 31-28 or something, not too far off xrotatehx

mlbowl
December 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well, I don't know about 233 of you, but I voted correctly! xthumbsupx

As did I!!!

mlbowl
December 13th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Coulson picked JMU. Let's go Griz!!!!

PLEASE Mr. C.....pick against us next weekxnodx