PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win: Richmond at Appalachian State

Pages : 1 [2]

CamelCityAppFan
December 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
IMO, Richmond will need to be +2 in the turnover margin with at least 10 points from those turnovers to have a shot.

Should be a great game.

That sounds about right to me...

DukeBluDevils09
December 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
As much as I want to see our CAA friends do well and as much as I want Richmond to win, I just can't bring myself to say they will win after the success App St has had in the playoffs recently. I do not, however, think they are unstoppable and Richmond is MORE than capable of beating the Mountaineers. I'll pick App by a few, but prove me wrong Spiders! Prove me wrong!

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
As much as I want to see our CAA friends do well and as much as I want Richmond to win, I just can't bring myself to say they will win after the success App St has had in the playoffs recently. I do not, however, think they are unstoppable and Richmond is MORE than capable of beating the Mountaineers. I'll pick App by a few, but prove me wrong Spiders! Prove me wrong!

Duke?!?!? Just because you guys should play FCS football doesn't mean you do. Duke?!?!? xsmhx

:D

Pitbull
December 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
The boys from Boone will beat dat ass like a drum on Saturday....xsmiley_wix

Yosef and the Crew - 37
Spiderman and His Amazing Friends - 17

SideLine Shooter
December 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
We are the underdog in this one. If we click on all cylinders who knows what may happen. Look forward to the trip and game. No matter the outcome I am sure it will all be left on the field. I do hope that at game's end this year we get the opportunity to shake hands with App State players. They have our respect for everything that they have accomplished in recent years.

If App clicks on all cylinders (Wofford Game). Look out!

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
If App clicks on all cylinders (Wofford Game). Look out!

Now what happens if both teams lose cylinders? ... or say it ends up being a Restrictor-Plate game. What happens then? xeyebrowx

MaxASU'81
December 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Now what happens if both teams lose cylinders? ... or say it ends up being a Restrictor-Plate game. What happens then? xeyebrowx

Regardless, I think there is no way we beat the mighty Spiders...because...."The nickname of Richmond’s “Stonewall Defense,” coined by Bruce Dowd of the College Sporting News, has been true-to-form this season, especially in the last five games, helping lift the Spiders to a 10-win season and the team’s second-consecutive Quarterfinals berth.
Richmond currently leads the CAA and is fifth in the FCS in total defense (251.0 yards/game) after holding 10 opponents this season -- six-straight -- to less than 100 yards rushing."

They have given up more than 100 yards rushing only 3 times...(two times in loses) 226 to Villanova, 267 to VMI, and 226 to JMU. (They beat VMI

They gave up 200 + yards passing in 6 games, Elon, UVa, Towson, Maine, Hofstra, and Bill and Mary.

They only gave up 300 yards total offense twice...both losses, Villanova and JMU.

They have given up only 16 touchdowns this year. Only 1 from outside the redzone! (They have not given up the big play)

I think i remember they have scored 3 or so defensive touchdowns!

ON the offensive side of the ball they ran the ball 550 times for 2412 yards and threw the ball 293 times for 2357 yards. They like to run the football and inside the red zone they WILL run the football, 61 trips, 52 scores, 38 TD's 33 of them running the ball!

They do average one fumble lost per game and nearly 1 interception per game.

They did not circle this one on the schedule because they could not have anticipated a rematch...but it got circled in the playoff bracket. xwhistlex

It is Great to be a Mountaineer!

TCisMYhero
December 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Yosef sniffs his sister's panties. Go UR.

MacThor
December 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Good news for local Richmond Spider fans....

Local TV Broadcast on CW 65 and student bus (http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120208aaa.html)

apppackdad
December 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
The Armanti nightmare continues for UR. THIS TIME Edwards throws for 250+ runs for about 100. I'm serious , this young man always rises to the occasion. Pick your poison Richmond. This will be a close game for 3 quarters

Armanti Edwards: We have him, YOU DON'T. xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
December 2nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Appalachian State
I have a feeling Richmond will put up a much better fight this time around than they did last year. Still, I'm not sure it'll be enough to stop the Mountaineers this year. They're still deep, still talented, and still at home

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
The Armanti nightmare continues for UR. THIS TIME Edwards throws for 250+ runs for about 100. I'm serious , this young man always rises to the occasion. Pick your poison Richmond. This will be a close game for 3 quarters

Armanti Edwards: We have him, YOU DON'T. xthumbsupx

I have to admit that it's posts like this that would make me dance a jig around my living room on Saturday if at any influential point in the game Armanti got broken in half by Logan/Sidbury, etc. Him and The Cart would make a nice couple.

Edge316007
December 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Cheering for an injury? Nice.

MountaineerGuy
December 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
I have to admit that it's posts like this that would make me dance a jig around my living room on Saturday if at any influential point in the game Armanti got broken in half by Logan/Sidbury, etc. Him and The Cart would make a nice couple.

It's posts like this that reassure me that Appalachian does NOT have the most classless fans ever.

Although we must have the dumbest. I mean what are our posters thinking? Naming a Walter Payton finalist with a laundry list of record-breaking performances and 2 rings in 2 years of college play as a gamebreaking factor...what ignorance!

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Yes, it's a physical game. Everyone does, otherwise why do you cheer when the QB gets sacked?

"The QB must go down and must go down hard" was not invented by me.

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
It's posts like this that reassure me that Appalachian does NOT have the most classless fans ever.

Although we must have the dumbest. I mean what are our posters thinking? Naming a Walter Payton finalist with a laundry list of record-breaking performances and 2 rings in 2 years of college play as a gamebreaking factor...what ignorance!

Of course he's a game breaking factor, you idiot. But lording him over people with "We have Armanti and you don't" is why very few in FCs will shed a tear if he takes the Golf Cart Express.

gofurman
December 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Duke?!?!? Just because you guys should play FCS football doesn't mean you do. Duke?!?!? xsmhx

:D

you have a point historically but Duke w/ Cutcliffe is different:
August 30 , 2008
DUKE 31 - JMU 7 ... I think that is JMUs worst loss???

I thought this was a given win for FCS over FBS and when I saw the score thought JMU must stink.

Turns out Duke was just instantly improved by a new coach. - They would almost certainly win the FCS Title as odd as that sounds...

THey just lost their QB and RB and ... or they might have made it to 6 wins in FBS...wonders never cease.

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM

And there is a big difference between pointing out the onfield obvious (A QB that exposes himself to hits just one day might get too big of one) and keying cars.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
And there is a big difference between pointing out the onfield obvious (A QB that exposes himself to hits just one day might get too big of one) and keying cars.

I don't believe any App posters on AGS have keyed anyone's car.

YOU said you would be jumping around in your living room if Armanti is injured. xnonono2x

CamelCityAppFan
December 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM

There's also a HUGE difference between pointing out the onfield obvious (A QB that exposes himself to hits just one day might get too big of one) and actually hoping for it...xnonono2x

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
If Edwards throws for 250 and runs for 100, I think we win the game. I would sign up for those stats right now, to be honest. I don't think they equal 5 TDs, and it is probably going to take 5 TDs to win this game.

Black and Gold Express
December 3rd, 2008, 07:32 AM

I'm hoping to see the 16 car (Radford) back out there with the 14 car in the backfield. The two of them will then start drafting with the 6 (Hillary), the 84 (Jorden), and the 8 (Quick) and watch out once they hit the straightaway.

AlphaSigMD
December 3rd, 2008, 07:35 AM

Really? What has armanti ever done to you personally? Other than the mental anguish you must have experienced associaited with the 55 point beatdown last year in the national semifinals, probably not a whole heck of a lot. It's not really appropriate to displace your anger at a post by wishing injury upon another semi-unrelated party. Displacement is one of the most immature defense mechanisms. Next time when trying to block the dystonic thoughts associated with Armanti, try Sublimation, Altruism or Humor (or atleast a better attempt at humor)

From a medical ethics point of view, its really no different than me saying that I hope your best friend gets into a car accident because you made a post riddled with douchebaggery on AGS. (P.S. I don't really hope that)

PPS: could you send me your address so I can send you a bill for the Psych consult?

UNHFan
December 3rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
App state!!! All the way!! Then can go back to making there pottery to complete there Degrees!

Sorry just trying to get all these App state threads sent to smack!!

CamelCityAppFan
December 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
App state!!! All the way!! Then can go back to making there pottery to complete there Degrees!

Sorry just trying to get all these App state threads sent to smack!!

Umm, I don't know how it is North of the Mason-Dixon, but down here in WalMart country "there" <> "their". xcoffeex

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
If Edwards throws for 250 and runs for 100, I think we win the game. I would sign up for those stats right now, to be honest. I don't think they equal 5 TDs, and it is probably going to take 5 TDs to win this game.

AE averages 293 yards of total offense a game (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IAA_playertotoff&site=org)(granted that is with a couple of injury games factored in). I realize that that would be about 150 yards less than what he put up on you guys last year, but it's still probably worth at least three passing TDs and a rushing TD. You don't think anyone else is going to produce some points for us?xeyebrowx

If five TDs wins it and AE puts up those kinds of numbers, I like our chances.

UNHFan
December 3rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
Umm, I don't know how it is North of the Mason-Dixon, but down here in WalMart country "there" <> "their". xcoffeex

Never could figure it out so I use there everywhere

Gotta run... Working the lunch shift at Micky D's

B&G
December 3rd, 2008, 08:10 AM
Boy, talk about an overreaction. Why are the ASU fans getting their panties in a wad because a Spiders fan says he'd like to see Armanti on a cart? I'm sure he isn't wishing for a career ending injury or anything. Maybe he just thinks that might be the only way Richmond wins. What's wrong with wanting to see your own team win?

I have to admit that I've wished an opponent's star player would tweak an ankle on numerous occasions. Don't be so sensitive.

ASUMountaineer
December 3rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
August 30 , 2008

I thought this was a given win for FCS over FBS and when I saw the score thought JMU must stink.

Turns out Duke was just instantly improved by a new coach. - They would almost certainly win the FCS Title as odd as that sounds...

THey just lost their QB and RB and ... or they might have made it to 6 wins in FBS...wonders never cease.

It was a joke...Duke is better, not good [yet], but better. Again, it was a joke...try to keep up.

ASUMountaineer
December 3rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
August 30 , 2008

It was a joke...Duke is better, not good [yet], but better. Again, it was a joke...try to keep up.

ASUMountaineer
December 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Of course he's a game breaking factor, you idiot. But lording him over people with "We have Armanti and you don't" is why very few in FCs will shed a tear if he takes the Golf Cart Express.

xlolx

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Boy, talk about an overreaction. Why are the ASU fans getting their panties in a wad because a Spiders fan says he'd like to see Armanti on a cart? I'm sure he isn't wishing for a career ending injury or anything. Maybe he just thinks that might be the only way Richmond wins. What's wrong with wanting to see your own team win?

I have to admit that I've wished an opponent's star player would tweak an ankle on numerous occasions. Don't be so sensitive.

Thank you. Though I don't think it's the only way they win, the more big hits he takes, the better "our" chance of winning.

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
AE averages 293 yards of total offense a game (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IAA_playertotoff&site=org)(granted that is with a couple of injury games factored in). I realize that that would be about 150 yards less than what he put up on you guys last year, but it's still probably worth at least three passing TDs and a rushing TD. You don't think anyone else is going to produce some points for us?xeyebrowx

If five TDs wins it and AE puts up those kinds of numbers, I like our chances.

I'm assuming if he throws for 250 yards that your receivers will also have 250 yards of receiving. Unless you are planning to have someone else throwing passes, I will still take those numbers. I'm not terribly worried that your RBs are going to pile up yardage on us. Edwards is the sole reason we lost the game last year.

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 3rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Unless you are planning to have someone else throwing passes, I will still take those numbers.

Actually, I've been thinking that we ought to run a play where AE runs to the wide side of the field and hands off to Coco Hillary on the reverse. Then AE continues with the route while Coco (who was a HS QB) pulls up and throws back to him.

Heh, maybe we ought to account for some recieving yardage for AE as well xlolx .

After all, most of the commenters here seem to think he will only make the NFL as a reciever, why not let him show his chops xnodx .

UNHFan
December 3rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
UNH 93
APP 65

Oh wait thats graduation rate sorry!

dasjamin
December 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
I want Richmond next round in the DOME! But I would also like to get revenge for our 2005 nat'l Championship loss to Appy, especially in Boone. But UNI has to win first.

Rekdiver
December 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
If we had a degree in making maple syrup our graduation rate would be great.

Edge316007
December 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
UNH 93
APP 65

What does that have to do with a RICHMOND vs. Appalachian thread?

Yes, it's a physical game. Everyone does, otherwise why do you cheer when the QB gets sacked?

"The QB must go down and must go down hard" was not invented by me.

Not exactly. Most people hope their team wins the game with the opponents best shot.

Mntneer
December 3rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
UNH 93
APP 65

I thought we were playing Richmond Saturday. Oh well, sucks to be you guys.

Apps03
December 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
UNH 93
APP 65

These are the kind of posts that normally come out when they know they have no other argument. This is football. Take it to anygivengraduationrate.com if you want to talk about academics.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
What does that have to do with a RICHMOND vs. Appalachian thread?

Not exactly. Most people hope their team wins the game with the opponents best shot.

Right, I'm sure you were distraught when Mike Hart left the game (albeit returning quite well) when you guys beat Michigan.

CamelCityAppFan
December 3rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Right, I'm sure you were distraught when Mike Hart left the game (albeit returning quite well) when you guys beat Michigan.

While I wasn't too busted up when he left the game, I also was not actively hoping that one of our linebackers would break him in half. xrolleyesx

Edge316007
December 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
While I wasn't too busted up when he left the game, I also was not actively hoping that one of our linebackers would break him in half. xrolleyesx

This.

apppackdad
December 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM

Bettina, You are flippin' kidding me right? How many references have been on this topic about Logan and Sidbury. Even I' m starting to believe they are the second comings of Lawrence Taylor and Mean Joe Greene.

First you cry about injuries, this year and last, then you tell us that UR's defense will be the greatest thing we have ever seen or felt. Throw in a massive physical RB with a great O-Line that will smash APP's defense to dust. Southern Illinois, UMass, Delaware, Youngstown, Richmond this song has been sung before.

Richmond was good last year and probably will be Sat., but to wish injury upon any player is just senseless. I hope all of Richmond's players are healthy and play Saturday. I hope physically they leave the same way.

You would give your left testicle to have a player like Armanti at UR! Let's line up and play. Betcha ol' number 14 makes a difference for APP.

MacThor
December 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM

I'm also sure they were distraught when Tim Hightower had to be helped off the field in the Wofford quarterfinal last season......

B&G
December 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
And I'm distraught reading all of this whining.

I am curious though... if ASU beats Richmond this year what the excuse will be. Because these Spiders sound like world beaters.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM

I am curious though... if ASU beats Richmond this year what the excuse will be. Because these Spiders sound like world beaters.

Probably injuries, officiating ... or just luck.

What will be your excuse if Goliath gets slayed on Saturday?xchinscratchx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM

Also take note that 2/3's of posters have voted that App will win. What, exactly, are you looking for? Just for the remaining 1/3 to roll over and say that we're about to get hammered?

appirishmen
December 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Also take note that 2/3's of posters have voted that App will win. What, exactly, are you looking for? Just for the remaining 1/3 to roll over and say that we're about to get hammered?

i dont think you will get hammered. i think it will be a good game and if App doesn't play like they can....or only a half....Richmond could pull the upset. best of luck to both teams. i enjoyed talking to some Richmond fans last year and hope to meet some more this year.

DTSpider
December 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

Too much talk about stuff that doesn't matter.

Honestly, all I want is to watch these two teams, who I consider 2 of the better teams in the country, to line it up for 60 minutes because I think it could be a heck of a game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

Too much talk about stuff that doesn't matter.

Honestly, all I want is to watch these two teams, who I consider 2 of the better teams in the country, to line it up for 60 minutes because I think it could be a heck of a game.

I agree DT. I really think the winner of our game plays the winner of the JMU/Villanova game in Chattanooga. I know that is a 'no duh' type statement, considering JMU and App are the #1 and #2 seeds ... but should Villanova and/or Richmond win Saturday, I think they should be considered the favorite in the Semi-final ... even if they are on the road. xtwocentsx

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Bettina, You are flippin' kidding me right? How many references have been on this topic about Logan and Sidbury. Even I' m starting to believe they are the second comings of Lawrence Taylor and Mean Joe Greene.

First you cry about injuries, this year and last, then you tell us that UR's defense will be the greatest thing we have ever seen or felt. Throw in a massive physical RB with a great O-Line that will smash APP's defense to dust. Southern Illinois, UMass, Delaware, Youngstown, Richmond this song has been sung before.

Richmond was good last year and probably will be Sat., but to wish injury upon any player is just senseless. I hope all of Richmond's players are healthy and play Saturday. I hope physically they leave the same way.

You would give your left testicle to have a player like Armanti at UR! Let's line up and play. Betcha ol' number 14 makes a difference for APP.

How many falsehoods can you put in one post?

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Bettina, You are flippin' kidding me right? Even I' m starting to believe they are the second comings of Lawrence Taylor and Mean Joe Greene.

"How many references have been on this topic about Logan and Sidbury."

I don't know but it seems most if not all have mentioned any impact in the game they might have vs. not being available last year. As opposed do "we have them and you don't".

"First you cry about injuries, this year and last,"

Never cried, mentioned it would be nice to be full strength, when is that a bad thing?

"then you tell us that UR's defense will be the greatest thing we have ever seen or felt"

Please post that quote or at least reference the paraphrase.

"Throw in a massive physical RB with a great O-Line that will smash APP's defense to dust."

Ditto.

"You would give your left testicle to have a player like Armanti at UR!"

No, really, I wouldn't. What I would give perhaps the left tip of my pinkie for is to see Armanti's application hit the admissions office at Richmond.

"Betcha ol' number 14 makes a difference for APP"

You think? Why don't you parlay that with the sun rising tomorrow and then retire?

This is why your kid goes to a safety school for a safety school for a safety school.

MountaineerGuy
December 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
This is why your kid goes to a safety school for a safety school for a safety school.

I'll take a school that no one cares much about outside of the state with 3 championships than a a school that no one cares much about outside of the state with none.

Mntneer
December 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
No, really, I wouldn't. What I would give perhaps the left tip of my pinkie for is to see Armanti's application hit the admissions office at Richmond.

I won't make a prediction on whether AE would be accepted to Richmond, but insinuating that ASU academics are weak is both a low blow and demonstrably false. But hey, if I paid almost $50k/yr for school, I might feel a little elitist too xrolleyesx

psc2445
December 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
"How many references have been on this topic about Logan and Sidbury."

I don't know but it seems most if not all have mentioned any impact in the game they might have vs. not being available last year. As opposed do "we have them and you don't".

"First you cry about injuries, this year and last,"

Never cried, mentioned it would be nice to be full strength, when is that a bad thing?

"then you tell us that UR's defense will be the greatest thing we have ever seen or felt"

Please post that quote or at least reference the paraphrase.

"Throw in a massive physical RB with a great O-Line that will smash APP's defense to dust."

Ditto.

"You would give your left testicle to have a player like Armanti at UR!"

"Betcha ol' number 14 makes a difference for APP"

You think? Why don't you parlay that with the sun rising tomorrow and then retire?

I love it when a dandy like this comes out. We get that you have a higher standard but lets give most college kids the benefit of the doubt, that they aren't idiots.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Actually, the point really is, whether or not he would get accepted to play there. No, really. I mean it. I have no idea, but the it was implied that I would give my left testicle to have him on the team. I am not sure if that's a possibility that can be discussed.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Actually, the point really is, whether or not he would get accepted to play there. No, really. I mean it. I have no idea, but the it was implied that I would give my left testicle to have him on the team. I am not sure if that's a possibility that can be discussed.

I snuck in and out when it was only about 15K. Just living the dream of your alma mater's SAT going through the roof (that's a joke, BTW, Oh, so serious ASU'er's).

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Ugh, meant to quote the thing about paying 50K and therefore being elitist.

Mntneer
December 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
Ugh, meant to quote the thing about paying 50K and therefore being elitist.

Yeah I figured as much. No worries. And yeah, $15k is just a wee bit more reasonable. ;)

Edge316007
December 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM

Safety school implies it's easy to get in. Richmond has a 40% admission rate. App has a 65%. Not that different. Certainly not a safety of a safety of a safety.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Well, that's an interesting take. But let's talk football.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Safety school implies it's easy to get in. Richmond has a 40% admission rate. App has a 65%. Not that different. Certainly not a safety of a safety of a safety.

Sorry, can't resist (despite the obvious shortcomings of the debate). So, if a .400 hitter in baseball is GOOD, a .650 hitter would be just a little bit better, but not statistically significant?

Mntneer
December 3rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
He didn't say whether or not it was "statistically significant". He said "not that different". Objective vs subjective. Neither number is out of line with their peer averages.

GreatAppSt
December 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Yada yada yada yada yada yada yada xrolleyesx

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
You guys spin arguments quite well.

Again, let's talk football (yes, I started with otherwise but I think it will help you if we don't continue in that direction). This is like saying zero FCS NC's vs. 3 in the last 3 years is "not that different". But Richmond's is not out of line with their "peer averages".

Mntneer
December 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
You guys spin arguments quite well.

Again, let's talk football (yes, I started with otherwise but I think it will help you if we don't continue in that direction). This is like saying zero FCS NC's vs. 3 in the last 3 years is "not that different". But Richmond's is not out of line with their "peer averages".

Yeah, I was clearly off base with that elitist remark...but by all means, back to football.

1appfan
December 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
May be mistaken, but pretty sure I read that Edwards has 3.2ish gpa.

KiddBrewer
December 3rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
why i think we win a close one......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0DUU_Hvlg&feature=related

AppIAA
December 3rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Just wondering.. why do FOOTBALL discussions always end up with "my school is a better academic institution!!!" ???

The thread is who will win the football game.. not who will win the academic decathlon..

Of course Richmond's admission standards are going to be higher -- its a PRIVATE school.

Of course App's current football team is the team to beat -- they are 3 time national champions.

Of course it will be a good game -- crappy teams dont get in the playoffs.

Lets get back to football now..

JMU Newbill
December 4th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Richmond better have the best academics... it costs over $40K a year to go there.

APPStrongNC
December 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM
FYI..
Per goasu
Locally, the game can be seen on Charter Cable channel 2. In the Richmond area, the broadcast will be carried by WUPV-TV. Additional networks carrying the game include Brighthouse Catch 47 (Tampa/Orlando, Fla. — live), the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (N.C./Va./Md./Del./Pa./W. Va./D.C. — tape delayed at 11 p.m. Saturday) and Cox Sports Television (Metairie, La. — tape delayed at 1 p.m. Sunday). The game will also be broadcast nationally as part of ESPN’s GamePlan pay-per-view package and online at ESPN360.com.

However, I will not be able to make to game. All day Birthing Class with my 7 month pregent wife. But, I was going to tape it watch it later. But NO. I have dish, live 1 hour and 25 mins from Boone. I do not get MASN and to other any of the other above stations.
I thought WMYA, or CW or some local station, WLOS, would pick it up. Bunch of Damn Crap...

jonmac
December 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Richmond better have the best academics... it costs over $40K a year to go there.

And I bet if you can afford to pay it out of pocket that could trump not quite having the grades to get in. And I also bet that if Richmond or another private school recruited a player like Armanti that is a good student but maybe a little below the average student that that private school normally persues they would make accomodations for him. Notice I didn't say it would be a player who would have no chance academically to get into said school. Bettina, it's kind of hard to get the horse back in the stable after you turn him loose and you're the one who started it running. But I do agree, let's get back to football.xthumbsupx

boonegoon
December 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
University of Richmond Appalachian State University Boone , NC
Univ. of Richmond , VA

Year founded: 1830 1899
Religious affiliation: N/A N/A
Total number of undergraduates: 2,794 13,997
Setting suburban rural
Costs: 2008-2009 Tuition and Fees: $38,850 2008-2009 In-state: $4,508; Out-of-state: $14,567
Room and board: $8,200 $6,160
Selectivity: more selective selective
Website http://www.richmond.edu http://www.appstate.edu
Overall score: 74 75
Tier 1 1
U.S. News rank: 33 9
City: Univ. of Richmond Boone
School name: University of Richmond Appalachian State University
State VA NC

App is on the right. Lets talk football

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM
How tall are the starting Richmond corners?

Bettina90
December 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM
And I bet if you can afford to pay it out of pocket that could trump not quite having the grades to get in. And I also bet that if Richmond or another private school recruited a player like Armanti that is a good student but maybe a little below the average student that that private school normally persues they would make accomodations for him. Notice I didn't say it would be a player who would have no chance academically to get into said school. Bettina, it's kind of hard to get the horse back in the stable after you turn him loose and you're the one who started it running. But I do agree, let's get back to football.xthumbsupx

Actually the first line is 100% not true, big campaign about a "needs blind" admissions system or something and lot of aid tossed at those that get in but can't afford it. And it's Ok, horses need to run free every once in a while, it's good for them.

We are approaching the 48 hours mark, I officially declare it "Football Only Talk" time.

biggie
December 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
How tall are the starting Richmond corners?

Corners and Safeties look to be between 5-9 to 6-1.

Edge316007
December 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
My school can beat up your school.

B&G
December 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Probably injuries, officiating ... or just luck.

What will be your excuse if Goliath gets slayed on Saturday?xchinscratchx

Depends on how the game goes... probably those same excuses. Or we could always use "it had to happen eventually". There will be some bitter App fans but also some congratulatory ones. Just like some Richmond fans will be pricks in winning while some will be gracious winners.

You'll notice there are many ASU fans who are posting that they're not very confident about this game. I'm on record as saying I think that ASU will get all of the bounces in this game and win by 12. A lot of the 3rd party posters seem to be the ones saying we win comfortably. But Richmond fans are making their team out to be studs and that this incarnation doesn't suffer from the problems that last year's Spiders did. It just seems like a lot of your fans are disregarding that you might have any weaknesses.

Bettina90
December 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I think you would seriously benefit from a re-read of this thread.

B&G
December 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I think you would seriously benefit from a re-read of this thread.

Only if I can skip the portion about the schools' academics. xlolx

Rekdiver
December 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM
If we get beat then we get beat. At this point 6 of the 8 teams are fairly equal IMO with Texas State and UNH being the exception. I was leary of UR last year and more so this year.

No whinning if we get beat, I just want the other team to do it, not lose as a result of a self inflicted mistake.

We've had a lot of breaks in our title runs...good teams make breaks too...A win against Richmond will not happen without a struggle.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
But Richmond fans are making their team out to be studs and that this incarnation doesn't suffer from the problems that last year's Spiders did. It just seems like a lot of your fans are disregarding that you might have any weaknesses.

Where are the posts from Richmond fans saying they don't have any weaknesses?

Where are the posts from the App State fans saying that App State DOES have weaknesses?

Show me.

Bettina90
December 4th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Exactly, BHCE. Definitely the first part.

B&G
December 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Richmond is peaking at the right time and APP is holding together with rubber bands and gum. No lack of spider confidence either with a very physical defense.

The Spiders have all of the motivation.
APP has to play the perfect game to win.

For Richmond to win they have to get a rush on Armanti. For App to win, Armanti needs to have another career passing day and special teams have to cover kicks..and the kicker needs to perfect. ANd the ASU defense has to find a way to stop the run.

On paper right now Richmond is the favorite.......

I picked a random page. Lo and behold there's an App fan saying UR is the favorite. xcoffeex

Bettina90
December 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Ok, so then you are reading an App fan's remarks and kind of juxtaposing the source in your head then?

B&G
December 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Where are the posts from the App State fans saying that App State DOES have weaknesses?

Show me.

That one I can show you many times.

I take back what I said about Richmond fans saying they have no weaknesses. My memory failed me on that one. xpeacex

Rekdiver
December 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
" You want the truth? You can"t handle the truth!"

Apps run d has been a weakness all year. Special teams coverage has been a weakness all year. The kicking game has been a weakness all year.

Injuries to the 4 top running backs is a weakness. Armanti is wearing a knee brace and hip pointers don't go away in a week.

Two starting DB's out for the year is an issue.

Of the last 4 teams fielded by ASU this one is the weakest.

Appinator
December 4th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Show me.

Not looking through rose colored glasses here. The Apps' beginning of the year strength is now our weakness; depth. We have been able to weather an extremely tough SoCon slate without a loss, but boy are we banged up.

I have a job, and haven't been able to read all of the posts on this thread, but doesn't any one realize that when we line up Josh Jackson and Matt Cline in our back field, we are down to our 4th and 5th string running backs?!?! We won a playoff game with kids that normally only get PT against the west carolina mountain kitties!!!

Armanti was CLEARLY not up to full speed running the ball last week, and from someone who has had a hip pointer from playing football, that stuff does not go away quickly at all. Its one of those injuries where you can do everything a 100% until someone puts the slightest pressure on it, and then you are in TONS of pain. DeAndre is a phenomenal runner, but I believe his passing skills are sub-par at best. I am surprised that we aren't rotating him in on option plays more. And all of this is just on Offense.

On Defense, we started the year losing Tharington, and now we are down two other starting DLinemen. Our stud freshman CB blew out his ACL the third week in practice, and we haven't started the same back 4 in any game since then. (Love, Dowda, LeGree, Gulibert, and McGee all rotating throughout the line-up)

I am extremely worried about this game, and hope that JM has a solid game plan. However, if you are not worried about any playoff game, I really have to question your fanhood. Our weaknesses are quite evident.

Bettina90
December 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Ugh. And now based on that I am getting optimistic. Dang you, Appinator.

Appinator
December 4th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Ugh. And now based on that I am getting optimistic. Dang you, Appinator.

Ha, well with all that being said, I am sure there are some bruises on your side of the line of scrimmage too. If anyone wanted to take off their homer hat and discuss, I'm sure it would be more relevant than the "We're better than you!" vs. "Well we're smarter than you!" argument that has evolved.

Eight Legger
December 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
After reading 35 pages of this, I am confident of only one thing: I would bet the over in this game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Ha, well with all that being said, I am sure there are some bruises on your side of the line of scrimmage too. If anyone wanted to take off their homer hat and discuss, I'm sure it would be more relevant than the "We're better than you!" vs. "Well we're smarter than you!" argument that has evolved.

OK, I'll bite.

On offense, we have had some very conservative play calling of late (see second half vs WM and 1st half vs EKU). We had a hard time running the ball in both games. Missing our Fullback, John Crone, was a big part of that. Supposedly, he will play Saturday ... but if you see #3 come off the field ... you will see that we'll have a harder time running the ball.

Our offensive line has been off and on all year, particularly in run blocking. Having Crone in there really helps them.

On defense, you will see largely the same linebackers that you saw #14 run away from all last year. Our nickel back got crushed on a special teams play last week and is questionable at best.

We have given up a couple punt returns for touchdowns.

How's that?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Also, we are 'pass the ball to open up the run' type team. I would expect to see us come out throwing to soften up the middle.

I hope our staff knows that if they come out conservatively, we will probably spot you guys 2 scores before we are able to open things up.

GOODY26
December 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
xpeacex Richmond in an upset..............24-21

file:///J:/Los_Angeles_Memorial_Coliseum_20070920131906_galle ry_600.jpeg

GOODY26
December 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM
xpeacex Richmond in an upset...............24-21

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/2/20/rp_primary_NSUAthltcscolor.jpg

biggie
December 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Also, we are 'pass the ball to open up the run' type team. I would expect to see us come out throwing to soften up the middle.

I hope our staff knows that if they come out conservatively, we will probably spot you guys 2 scores before we are able to open things up.
The issue is if you come out throwing given the stats of your QB there's a good chance we'll have the ball before you get a chance to run it. There is no softening our defense, its already soft against the run.

And if the TOs happen early and you are down and forced to throw, this could look like the Wofford game. Your best bet is to run, then throw only when needed.

Appinator
December 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
OK, I'll bite.

On offense, we have had some very conservative play calling of late (see second half vs WM and 1st half vs EKU). We had a hard time running the ball in both games. Missing our Fullback, John Crone, was a big part of that. Supposedly, he will play Saturday ... but if you see #3 come off the field ... you will see that we'll have a harder time running the ball.

Our offensive line has been off and on all year, particularly in run blocking. Having Crone in there really helps them.

On defense, you will see largely the same linebackers that you saw #14 run away from all last year. Our nickel back got crushed on a special teams play last week and is questionable at best.

We have given up a couple punt returns for touchdowns.

How's that?

Pretty good. It is hard to peg this game from one side or another without sounding homerish. I think any OL issues that you have might be negated with our DL injuries. Our LB corps can really be a bunch of ball-hawks, and if your lead blocker is having some problems, we might have a chance to stop the run.

In my honest opinion, I think it will come down to our offense against UR's defense for the victory. Those same linebackers will be hungry for revenge and with AE not up to 100%, they might be able to get it. The real wild card here is that Robert Welton and Devin Radford are both listed as probable this week for the first time in forever. They are our #2 and #3 guys at RB.

It will be a great game to watch for sure.

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Edwards is the difference for ASU.. Richmond's QB (Ward) is a nice player.. but Edwards is a great player and more important a great 'playmaker'. If the QBs were even.. I 'd go with Richmond.. but Edwards is a huge difference maker and he certainly gives ASU the big edge.

jaxstatealum
December 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Gotta go with App. Richmond has a good "D" but it just won't be enough.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
The issue is if you come out throwing given the stats of your QB there's a good chance we'll have the ball before you get a chance to run it. There is no softening our defense, its already soft against the run.

And if the TOs happen early and you are down and forced to throw, this could look like the Wofford game. Your best bet is to run, then throw only when needed.

I see your points but disagree. We had our best offensive game plan of the year against JMU. Ward threw a great deep balls to Tre Grey and Jordan Mitchell early. It opened up the running and the passing over the middle.

We ran too much early against EKU last week and got stoned. We threw the 45 yard PA pass for a TD to Grayson in the 2nd quarter and the whole offense opened up.

Eric Ward will be ready. He has played his best games on the big stages ... @UD, @ASU last year ... vs. JMU this year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
In my honest opinion, I think it will come down to our offense against UR's defense for the victory. Those same linebackers will be hungry for revenge and with AE not up to 100%, they might be able to get it. The real wild card here is that Robert Welton and Devin Radford are both listed as probable this week for the first time in forever. They are our #2 and #3 guys at RB.

It will be a great game to watch for sure.

I agree that it is going to come down to our D against your O. I am more concerned about your throwing than running (especially after hearing Edwards tele-conference). If Edwards isn't running at 100%, I don't think your spread option run game is much better than JMU's. xtwocentsx We played well against JMU's run game until Landers wore us out late.

How are the App State kick/punt returns and kick/punt return coverage?

biggie
December 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I agree that it is going to come down to our D against your O. I am more concerned about your throwing than running (especially after hearing Edwards tele-conference). If Edwards isn't running at 100%, I don't think your spread option run game is much better than JMU's. xtwocentsx We played well against JMU's run game until Landers wore us out late.

Our run should, hopefully, be much better this game due to Welton/Radford back.

Special teams coverage was bad early, but much better the last few weeks, due to a lot of changes after the GSU game. Coco has been pretty solid at returning kickoffs in the last few games (over the 50 a few times). Frasier is shaky in bad weather catching punts it seems, but had good returns last week.

ericsaid
December 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I think having the two backs that App's needs most out of, Devin Radford and Robert Welton, back that they will be able to take pressure off Armanti and let the coaches open up the playbook more.

Watch the screen passes to #16, if he actually does play. If there is a hole then he will already be through it before anyone see's it and then it's off to the races. Just watch.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=ericsaid;1242913]I think having the two backs that App's needs most out of, Devin Radford and Robert Welton, back that they will be able to take pressure off Armanti and let the coaches open up the playbook more.QUOTE]

I'm not discounting that you have some excellent running backs. That said, if Edwards, Radford and Welton run for 100 yards each ... it would still be a huge improvement over last year for us!

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Our run should, hopefully, be much better this game due to Welton/Radford back.

When is the last time either played? If I were an ASU fan, I would be worried that they would come out a little rusty. Not the type of game you want to start out slow in.

2xspyder
December 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Hey, all you App. St. Guys!

Suggest a good place in Boone to go for a beer and a sandwich after the game, where we won't be harmed if we have on Richmond gear.

Look forward to seeing you all again.

Appinator
December 4th, 2008, 04:30 PM

We have managed lately to solve the abomination that was called our kickoff/punt coverage team. At one point, even our radio team was debating whether or not to put starters on this squad to get some more speed/better tacklers out on the field. I know that a lot of fans want to mark this off as a totally addressed issue, but it is not. SCSU proved that by running one back themselves, we were just saved by a holding penalty.

CoCo Hillary is our KR specialist and does an OK job of returning kicks. I don't think he has brought any back this year, but he hasn't muffed any either. BJ Frazier has been returning punts as of late, but he is not a game breaker a la Scotty McGee and the like.

Our kicking game is the most suspect though. Vitaris consistently will miss at least one PAT a game. I really believe that we only ran the fake kick last week because the coaches really have little faith in him. I have been to, or listened on the radio, to pretty much every ASU game since 2002, and I can't recall another time that we have ever done a fake punt or FG.

What about Richmond's ST units?

EDIT: I am not trying to cut down App by any means with my last few posts, I just think a few posters want to leave drive-by posts like "we are going to dominate" and "ASU by 21", which really don't add anything to the conversation at all.

proasu89
December 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Suggest a good place in Boone to go for a beer and a sandwich after the game, where we won't be harmed if we have on Richmond gear.

Mellow Mushroom - Located on the west end on Rivers St. Walk down stadium drive and left on Rivers. Great pizza and sandwiches, w/ a good beer selection.

Cafe Portifino - Located on the West End of Rivers St. also. Just accross from the Mushroom. Haven't been there in a while, but others seem to like it alot.

Peppers - Good entrees and great sandwiches. Located off of 321 (the main drag headed to Blowing Rock) in the Shoppes at Shadowline behind Backyard Burger. Not a bad beer selection either.

Our Daily Bread - Located on King St across from the Mast General Store. Love the sandwiches. I've always eaten there for lunch so I haven't notice the beer selection.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Our kicking and punting is not great but solid. Our kicker doesn't have a huge leg, but he is very accurate. Likewise, our punter doesn't have a huge leg, but he is pretty good at killing punts inside the Opponent's 20.

Our return games are pretty good. They had been a huge advantage for us last year under Clawson, but have only been decent this year under London. (We have the same guys returning kicks this year.)

Kick and punt coverages have been decent ... with two glaring exclusions ... The McGee return at the end of the JMU game and a PR TD in the WM game a couple weeks back.

Also want to point out that I'm not trying to throw our team under the bus. I just prefer somewhat objective game analysis over this 'my school is smarter than your school' crapola.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2008, 05:09 PM
We have managed lately to solve the abomination that was called our kickoff/punt coverage team. At one point, even our radio team was debating whether or not to put starters on this squad to get some more speed/better tacklers out on the field. I know that a lot of fans want to mark this off as a totally addressed issue, but it is not. SCSU proved that by running one back themselves, we were just saved by a holding penalty.

CoCo Hillary is our KR specialist and does an OK job of returning kicks. I don't think he has brought any back this year, but he hasn't muffed any either. BJ Frazier has been returning punts as of late, but he is not a game breaker a la Scotty McGee and the like.

Our kicking game is the most suspect though. Vitaris consistently will miss at least one PAT a game. I really believe that we only ran the fake kick last week because the coaches really have little faith in him. I have been to, or listened on the radio, to pretty much every ASU game since 2002, and I can't recall another time that we have ever done a fake punt or FG.

EDIT: I am not trying to cut down App by any means with my last few posts, I just think a few posters want to leave drive-by posts like "we are going to dominate" and "ASU by 21", which really don't add anything to the conversation at all.

Pretty negative, aren't we? The fake punt was guided primarily by the fact that if it was good, we would only be up by 13. So, we had nothing to lose & everything to gain by such a risky play. It had NOTHING to do with the coaches' faith in Vitaris. The ball was on the 10, so it basically was an extra point play anyway.

spdram
December 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Finally we're getting away from this "my Dad can beat your Dad" bravado. My heart says Richmond, my head says App St. We are coming to your house where you seldom lose, you are 3 x defending NC, you have AE who has to be getting stronger by the day (more healthy). But having said that I will be at the Rock cheering for the Spiders to pull the upset because I think we have a decent chance of doing it. Heck we knocked Indiana out of the field of 64 after they won the NC, so why not knock ASU out of the field of 16 after they won an NC. This team has it's strengths and weaknesses (see the last several pages) but it has heart. I do think you will see a much better D than you saw last year (healthier, not totally, missing 2 LB's and probably a DB, and maybe a back up DE, with one DE playing on a bad shoulder) and I do think (assuming our OC does not go conservative on us again) you will see a very solid O. We are called a running team, but we can throw short or long on you. #1 is a hoss and can catch anything, you'll recognize him from last year. #5 is one of the best corners I have seen at this level. If #32 runs with the power he is capable of showing he will drag tacklers, if he dances he will have an average day. Our QB Ward is not Edwards or Landers but he can make you pay with his running, and he seldom makes mistakes. Very seldom fumbles and very few INTs (mostly tipped passes or the like).

From reading your stats it looks to me your key offensive players are Hillary, Quick, Edwards, Radford and Welton. You key defensive players are D J Smith, LeGree and Roman. Am I right, did I miss anybody to watch closely?

Touchdown Yosef
December 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM

I also like Cafe Portafino, can't go wrong there. Woodlands is even better out in Blowing Rock if you don't mind waiting 45 minutes at the bar.

CamelCityAppFan
December 4th, 2008, 05:27 PM
From reading your stats it looks to me your key offensive players are Hillary, Quick, Edwards, Radford and Welton. You key defensive players are D J Smith, LeGree and Roman. Am I right, did I miss anybody to watch closely?

Banks on Defense.

Touchdown Yosef
December 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Pretty negative, aren't we? The fake punt was guided primarily by the fact that if it was good, we would only be up by 13. So, we had nothing to lose & everything to gain by such a risky play. It had NOTHING to do with the coaches' faith in Vitaris. The ball was on the 10, so it basically was an extra point play anyway.

I liked the call but I also think that Vitaris's inconsistency this year played into the decision. I would really like to see him put a few kickoffs in the end zone or at least inside the 20.

ChubbyCherub
December 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
they ran it because vitaris is a great athlete and wanted to take a chance, he was an allstate receiver and soccer player...yeah he has been a little shaky on PAT's but he hasnt missed one in the playoffs which is a new season in itself with more meaning in each kick. As far as letting him kick a ball deep, the coverage is like a seive, any one with a head of steam is liable to break one or make vitarus save a touchdown as he has done a few time already this year which balances out the whole missed pat thing for me

jonmac
December 4th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I liked the call but I also think that Vitaris's inconsistency this year played into the decision. I would really like to see him put a few kickoffs in the end zone or at least inside the 20.

According to the article in the WS Journal, which I hope you read, the fake had nothing to do with Vitaris' ability. It was something Vitaris and Hunter had been practicing all year according to Coach Moore. And we've mentioned it many times, not sure about here, but it's been hashed out over and over on the MMB that the short kicks are by design not necessarily because Vitaris can't kick it in the endzone. With our coverage problems I'd hate to see what would happen if he did kick it to the endzone or inside the 10 consistently. Personally I'd love to see every kickoff go out of the endzone but it is obvious that JV doesn't have that kind of leg, nor do many others. Now the out of bounds kick I could certainly do without but when the strategy is to kick toward the sideline some are going to go out.

DOME
December 4th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hey Richmond,
I'll buy you a beer if you come to Cedar Falls, IA in a week. Maybe even a shot or something too :)

jonmac
December 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Hey Richmond,
I'll buy you a beer if you come to Cedar Falls, IA in a week. Maybe even a shot or something too :)

Why would he want to come to Iowa this time of ye...OHH, I get itxmadx why I oughta...:p

B&G
December 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Vitaris has been shaky on extra points. There is no denying that nor is there any excuse for that. The snapper, holder and kicker have to be a well-oiled machine and for some reason there are some kinks. The short kickoffs are definitely by design. I forget which game it was but ASU had a personal foul and had to kickoff from deep in their territory. When they gave Viatris the green light to boot it he kicked it inside the 5.

Neil Young is solid at punter. I have no complaints with him.

The coverage teams have been shaky and it worries me to hear that Richmond has returned a couple to the house this season. I will agree that the team has improved as the has progressed but it still makes me nervous.

But nothing on the entire team makes me as nervous as when B.J. Frazier goes back to return a punt. His decision making has been questionable at best. CoCo is solid returning kickoffs. While he hasn't broken one open this season, he has in the past.

AlphaSigMD
December 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Vitaris has been shaky on extra points. There is no denying that nor is there any excuse for that. The snapper, holder and kicker have to be a well-oiled machine and for some reason there are some kinks. The short kickoffs are definitely by design. I forget which game it was but ASU had a personal foul and had to kickoff from deep in their territory. When they gave Viatris the green light to boot it he kicked it inside the 5.

Neil Young is solid at punter. I have no complaints with him.

The coverage teams have been shaky and it worries me to hear that Richmond has returned a couple to the house this season. I will agree that the team has improved as the has progressed but it still makes me nervous.

But nothing on the entire team makes me as nervous as when B.J. Frazier goes back to return a punt. His decision making has been questionable at best. CoCo is solid returning kickoffs. While he hasn't broken one open this season, he has in the past.

Wow, if that's true, then there really is no reason we shouldn't be bombing it out of back on the endzone on every kickoff. Our special teams haven't exactly been spectacular this year.

I'd wager that its more than likely that he had a rather good kick on that one incident, but has difficulty with accuracy+power -i.e keeping the long kickoffs between the lines. The 40 yard line is not really that bad of a field position if you are kicking off the 15.

B&G
December 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Wow, if that's true, then there really is no reason we shouldn't be bombing it out of back on the endzone on every kickoff. Our special teams haven't exactly been spectacular this year.

I'd wager that its more than likely that he had a rather good kick on that one incident, but has difficulty with accuracy+power -i.e keeping the long kickoffs between the lines. The 40 yard line is not really that bad of a field position if you are kicking off the 15.

You might be on to something.

phillyAPP
December 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Why would he want to come to Iowa this time of ye...OHH, I get itxmadx why I oughta...:p

Hey Moe Hey Larry.......... You oughta WHAT ???????xoopsx xoopsx

MountaineerGuy
December 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I think the Vitaris problem seems to be solved, at least for extra points. I probably still wouldn't risk a long field goal late in the game, but I think since Wofford he hasn't missed an extra point.

B&G
December 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I think the Vitaris problem seems to be solved, at least for extra points. I probably still wouldn't risk a long field goal late in the game, but I think since Wofford he hasn't missed an extra point.

He missed one last week. Granted it was after a 15 yard penalty... but still. It's weird though, for some reason I get the feeling that he is going to come up big at some point in the playoffs and be a hero. xchinscratchx

MountaineerGuy
December 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM
He missed one last week. Granted it was after a 15 yard penalty... but still. It's weird though, for some reason I get the feeling that he is going to come up big at some point in the playoffs and be a hero. xchinscratchx

I dunno. Rauch wasn't the greatest when he started here but he's hit a few that really mattered (one in particular in some damn place...starts with an A...ends with a......-nn Arbor? or something like that).

Makes me nervous. I'm all for a game you have to watch every second of, but there's nothing fun about missing extra points.

On the other hand...maybe I can talk to Jerry and get me a scholarship

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I dunno. Rauch wasn't the greatest when he started here but he's hit a few that really mattered (one in particular in some damn place...starts with an A...ends with a......-nn Arbor? or something like that).

Makes me nervous. I'm all for a game you have to watch every second of, but there's nothing fun about missing extra points.

On the other hand...maybe I can talk to Jerry and get me a scholarship

I'll re-enroll at App and get a second degree. Trust me, I've used up NO years of eligibility. xlolx

petethepenguin15
December 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Lot of App guys posting, I meen i would expect a little more richmond guys to defend their team but I guess not. I take app in this game but I am not going to take Richmond out of this game right away. Edwards has gotta have a good day and come out fighting.

ur2k
December 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Lot of App guys posting, I meen i would expect a little more richmond guys to defend their team but I guess not. I take app in this game but I am not going to take Richmond out of this game right away. Edwards has gotta have a good day and come out fighting.

It's not a secret that App outnumbers us around here. :)

I think the keys to Richmond possibly winning at the Rock (which is tough to do) is - force a turnover or 2 and convert these to points, play well on special teams (a TD by this unit would be huge) and hope to hit #14 a whole lot (easier said than done). I don't think our O can win this game in a shoot-out.

I think one difference between this year's D and last year's D is that everyone flys to the ball and seems to play faster (even though it's mostly the same personnel). This is a mentality brought by Mike London to the squad. They need to do that in this game and get after the ball carriers and try and force some TOs.

blackNgold93
December 4th, 2008, 10:55 PM

This being the case, We need to be even more diciplined after touchdowns to avoid putting ourselves in a bad kicking situation as a result of a penalty.

MountainMan
December 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I don't see why everyone is so down on Vitaris... Until the kick Saturday (which was after a 15 yard penalty and I don't think he was really focused after that TD) he hadn't missed one since The Citadel. I just looked at his stats and he has made 63 of 68 this season. That is a lot of extra points in one season. He is also 8-11 on field goals, and one of those misses was from 56 yards. Not too bad for a first year starter. As someone else pointed out the kickoffs are short by design.

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I don't see why everyone is so down on Vitaris... Until the kick Saturday (which was after a 15 yard penalty and I don't think he was really focused after that TD) he hadn't missed one since The Citadel. I just looked at his stats and he has made 63 of 68 this season. That is a lot of extra points in one season. He is also 8-11 on field goals, and one of those misses was from 56 yards. Not too bad for a first year starter. As someone else pointed out the kickoffs are short by design.

I agree. He's doing what he is being asked to do. Given the situation, I think he is doing well.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM

If thats the kid that was doing kickoffs in the Appstate vs JMU game you guys shouldn't be whining about him at all. 1) for his stats 2) the guy almost ran Scotty down on his return play. Pretty fast for a punter maybe just needs to work on tackling a bit. Still young though.

Touchdown Yosef
December 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Good point, I just miss the ability that Rouch had to kick it out the back of the endzone and I believe he only missed one kick in his playoff career, extra point or field goal.

Griswold
December 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I think the kickoffs and coverage have really improved from the start of the year. They're not long but Vitaris has done a great job of putting the ball between the numbers and the sideline taking away half the field.

Appaholic69
December 5th, 2008, 09:31 AM
The core problem with special teams is coverage not kicking. The sole purpose for the shorter kicks by Vitaris, and I learned this from the head ball coach, is the coverage. App wants to ensure that we get the players down field fast to stop a big return.

I don't make predictions but special teams and turnovers will be the biggest factors in this game.

AE and the entire team is ready to play this one. I've spoken to a couple of the players and they know what is front of them. Their aren't going to go in to this game with ideas of grandeur.

Appinator
December 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I was just saying if I was a coach for App, and I had to pick out the few things I wanted to work on with the ST units, it would be kick coverage and FG kicking.

Again, I'm not trying to be a downer, but check your stats again. Not only did he miss two PATs against The Citadel, but he also missed one against GaSo and FU. After that, he did have a stretch of 4 games where he didn't miss any, including a 10-10 performance against Wofford.

Rekdiver
December 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I didn't see a game all year where the opposing kicker missed PAT's.

The 32 yard PAT was kicked from dead in the middle and he mi**** and hooked it. It's all his focus.

Rekdiver
December 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
that's funny, I typed Mis hit as one word and the *** censor got it.

CamelCityAppFan
December 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM
After that, he did have a stretch of 4 games where he didn't miss any, including a 10-10 performance against Wofford.

Well, he had a lot of practice in the Wofford game...xsmiley_wix

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM
that's funny, I typed Mis hit as one word and the *** censor got it.

That happened to me in another thread.

Also, ****ake mushrooms is a no-no.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 5th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Total Defense:

4. South Carolina State
5. Richmond

I hope you're kidding ... comparing stats for a MEAC team to a CAA. xeyebrowx

CamelCityAppFan
December 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
That happened to me in another thread.

Also, ****ake mushrooms is a no-no.

It's a good thing that Wofford is the Terriers and not the ****zus...

B&G
December 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Here is a comparable stat...

Would you predict the over or under versus Richmond?

ASU 37 pts, 550 yards passing & rushing

Skjellyfetti
December 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Read the whole thread. I've already said this two or three times...

SC State's defense is legit... I don't care what conference they are from. Other than LSU they are the best defense we have played this year. They were better than JMU's (OMG I just compared a MEAC team to a CAA team again xeekx FOR SHAME).

Are they better than Richmond's? I don't know... very likely they aren't. But, I was responding to a post that said we haven't faced a defense nearly as good. I believe we have.

james_lawfirm
December 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Read the whole thread. I've already said this two or three times...

SC State's defense is legit... I don't care what conference they are from. Other than LSU they are the best defense we have played this year. They were better than JMU's (OMG I just compared a MEAC team to a CAA team again xeekx FOR SHAME).

Are they better than Richmond's? I don't know... very likely they aren't. But, I was responding to a post that said we haven't faced a defense nearly as good. I believe we have.

I agree. Their DEs were the best we've seen (except at LSU). There was speed just all over the D in general & they could play. I would imagine that the CAA teams would have said the same if they played SCSU.

Touchdown Yosef
December 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Well I'm packing the car and getting ready for an early start in the morning (be on the road at 6:00am) and I cannot wait for this game. Hope everyone has a safe trip and that we all get to watch a great game. Good luck Richmond.

Anyone else going to be there when the lots open at 8:00 cooking breakfast on the grill?

mtnman
December 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
just seen on local tv chalk talk with steve white, and if ur plays the kind of defence were they leave the middle open like they did against eku we will have a field day moving the ball.they play their lb and safeties wide leaving one lb in the middle.thats puts five ol and a back to block and they are out numbered having six blockers on five if we use two rb. look for the running game to have a big day and,going deep with the wr.

Ivytalk
December 5th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Edwards, Edwards, nothing but the Edwards, so help me Edwards!xnodx

1appfan
December 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM

Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock. 8 miles south on us321. At Blowing Rock light go straight on bypass. On right beside Outback Steakhouse. Live music, Cold beer, great BBQ, and the best wings around. It'll be packed and chaos, but you will have a blast.

appstate08
December 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I was looking at some stats and although Richmond has one of the top scoring defenses, 7 of their opponents this season were ranked 52 or lower in ppg this season. Against the four teams they played in the top 35ppg they gave up an average of 25 ppg.

Touchdown Yosef
December 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I was looking at some stats and although Richmond has one of the top scoring defenses, 7 of their opponents this season were ranked 52 or lower in ppg this season. Against the four teams they played in the top 35ppg they gave up an average of 25 ppg.

bringing the stats on the first post, I like it. Welcome to AGS and keep up the fact based discussion!

jonmac
December 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM
bringing the stats on the first post, I like it. Welcome to AGS and keep up the fact based discussion!

blah, blah...facts are for wussies and will be completely ignored by most.xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx And yes, welcome 08.

apps3x2009
December 6th, 2008, 07:45 AM
its gameday baby ready to go see a great game just a warning for any app or richmond fans its going to be a cold windy possibly snowy day go apps

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM

I will spot App 5 more than that and take our chances with getting 31.

Tod
December 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I am just damn excited that I get to see this game on TV!! Thank you Altitude! Now, if I can just stay sober and awake...xlolx

Ivytalk
December 6th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I am just damn excited that I get to see this game on TV!! Thank you Altitude! Now, if I can just stay sober and awake...xlolx

Tod! You've surfaced! Welcome back!:p xazzx

bigchocolate
December 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Armanti is the real deal, I never said it but going into the SC State game I never thought he would make it the entire game last week knowing the type of defensive pressure he would see during the game. Well, we all know what his numbers were. App you will be fine today....Get after their runners like you did last week 4th quarter and this one will not be as close as most people anticipate.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Eh, what the heck, I'll throw out heart-based prediction:

8 Legs and Fangs: 34. 2 Legs and a Banjo: 29.

bobbythekidd
December 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I want someone to knock off Appy but I just don't see it here. App is on course to set a new record of consecutive playoff wins this year. (15 Youngstown St)

AppMAN04
December 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
LETS GO APPS...not today spiders

paward
December 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Can I vote now?

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM
This game is not going to even be close... (App. by 21) Mark my words

~

Say what?

bandl
December 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I voted for Richmond in this one. :)

Can I have a cookie? xlolx

UNHWildCats
December 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
34.33% of us were right.

bandl
December 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
34.33% of us were right.

Thanks for stating the obvious for us there, teach...

NovaHater
December 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Armanti is the real deal, I never said it but going into the SC State game I never thought he would make it the entire game last week knowing the type of defensive pressure he would see during the game. Well, we all know what his numbers were. App you will be fine today....Get after their runners like you did last week 4th quarter and this one will not be as close as most people anticipate.

Come back bigchocolate and tell us againxlolx

I will give you kudos when you said it won't be close, it. sure wasn't

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM
NTFF! Where is bigchocolate? This just in, the Meac SUCKS.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Semifinals
Appalachian State - 55
Richmond - 35

Armanti Edwards 313 yards rushing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQQONgG3Y4

Wait, what happened?

bandl
December 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
As I mentioned, we'll see what difference 2 All-CAA DEs can make, neither played in last year's contest.

xrulesx

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I was reminded recently of a litany of posts last year about how Richmond was the most complete defense we were going to face and how their awesome ground game was going to destroy us. How they were in fact clicking on all cylinders coming into the semifinals. Now it's that you were all banged up last year and you were in fact a shell of the team you were earlier in the year?

Please at least be consistent with your stories, or try to keep Revisionist History to a minimum this week when explaining away the beating you took at The Rock last year. As for this year, do please try and focus on Edwards running again. He's no real threat passing the ball.

Another one that should be put out there again.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
xrulesx

I love you.

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Ok, so in retrospect, he passed for 313 yards and ran for 3...I was off by 34 total yards. But I think the score validates my argument.