PDA

View Full Version : Seeds?

4th and What?
November 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
With App finally getting things together in the second half today, and Weber St losing, what do the seeds look like?

1 - JMU
2 - App
3 - Montana
4 - Cal Poly if they hold on against Wisconson?

If Cal Poly loses, does SIU take the 4th seed? Does Villanova still have a shot for #4 even with weak showings against Northeastern, Towson, and Penn? Does Weber St still have a shot at a seed?

gbhmt
November 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
If CP wins, switch them and Montana.

Edge316007
November 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
If CP loses, it's between them SIU and Nova. I'd still be inclined to give it to them.

If they win, they could jump App

gbhmt
November 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
If CP loses, it's between them SIU and Nova. I'd still be inclined to give it to them.

Yeah if they don't win they still proved a very good point. I'd say a win gets them #3, a loss gets them #4.

clenz
November 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
SIU does not get a seed.

gbhmt
November 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
SIU does not get a seed.

Yeah definitely not after today.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
I think NOVA is more deserving of seed if Cal Poly loses. They have three big wins (Richmond, W&M and UNH) and barely lost to the #1 team. 2 almost big wins and a win over a 1-10 BCS team should not be enough to earn a seed.

clenz
November 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah definitely not after today.
That is the way almost all of their games have gone. They have escaped with so many wins this year. They won't get a seed, and we be playing in the dome come the quarterfinals.

skinny_uncle
November 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
That is the way almost all of their games have gone. They have escaped with so many wins this year. They won't get a seed, and we be playing in the dome come the quarterfinals.
The Salukis keep finding ways to win close games. There is something to be said for that.

clenz
November 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
The Salukis keep finding ways to win close games. There is something to be said for that.There is, but that can only last so long. It is getting harder and harder for SIU to win the close ones too. I see it ending soon

veinup
November 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Do we know at what time seedings will be announced?

clenz
November 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Do we know at what time seedings will be announced?
7PM EST on ESPNU

RabidRabbit
November 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Poly wins at WIS, then #2, if not #1.

Taking down a BCS bowl eligible team, and a botched FG VS another seed for a 2 pt loss.....

Better than a FBS loss, but run the FCS gauntlet?

Tough choice!

Edge316007
November 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
JMU is unquestionably #1, even if CP wins. Debatable with App for #2.

mlbowl
November 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
JMU is unquestionably #1, even if CP wins. Debatable with App for #2.

JMU #1 & ASU #2...that shouldn't change #3 & #4 definitely debatable

crunifan
November 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
So, for the #3 and #4 seeds we have Montana, UNI, Villanova, and Cal Poly fighting for the two spots. Is this right?

gbhmt
November 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
So, for the #3 and #4 seeds we have Montana, UNI, Villanova, and Cal Poly fighting for the two spots. Is this right?

Yep.

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM

Sounds about right.

GRZZ
November 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Any internet broadcast of the ESPNU show?

asknoquarter21
November 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Imagine a ASU vs Montana Semifinal in Boone

a lot of money there

CharlestonAppFan
November 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
#1 - JMU
#2 - ASU
#3 - Montana
#4 - Villanova/CP

GRZZ
Fair or not, I think the loss today (and the Head to Head Griz win) takes away the possibility of Cal Polly getting a seed over MT. We'll see, I'm no expert.

GrizFanIRAQ
When was the last time a non-conference champ was seeded?

tingly
I have 1-JMU, 2-App, 3-'nova, and either Cal Poly or Montana depending on what weighs more
1. an early season head-to-head Montana winning at Poly
2. Weber d. Montana/Poly OT at Wisconsin.

If it's about budget, it's Montana, crowds twice the size of Poly's.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM

a lot of money there

Think ASU and Montana will be the 2 and 3 seeds so they will face each other in the Semis if they make it that far.

uofmman1122

a lot of money thereI hope it happens! xnodx

GRZZ
Think ASU and Montana will be the 2 and 3 seeds so they will face each other in the Semis if they make it that far.

I tend to agree, I think it would be a dream matchup for the committee and that is how the bracket will look.

asknoquarter21
November 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I tend to agree, I think it would be a dream matchup for the committee and that is how the bracket will look.

I agree this is a game they would love to see

FCS Go!
November 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
I think it'll be
1-JMU
2-App St
3-Griz
4-UNI

I think it should be
1-JMU
2-Cal Poly
3-App St
4-Villanova

I hope Cal Poly has a monster bid for a first round game otherwise I think they get the Griz in Missoula.

4th and What?
November 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
I can't see Villanova getting a seed over Cal Poly (though I may be on a Cal Poly high right now after that game). Villanova has not looked impressive after the JMU game. Maybe they just play to their opponents level though.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
When was the last time a non-conference champ was seeded?

last year NIU was seeded #1 and SIU was #4

Edge316007
November 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
And Cal Poly deserves the #2 over App why?

asknoquarter21
November 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM

that wasn't long ago...

GRZZ
November 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I think it'll be
1-JMU
2-App St
3-Griz
4-UNI

I think it should be
1-JMU
2-Cal Poly
3-App St
4-Villanova

I hope Cal Poly has a monster bid for a first round game otherwise I think they get the Griz in Missoula.

You don't think we deserve a seed at 11-1 with a win over Cal Polly?

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
#2 for going OT with Wisconsin, but I'm not of a mind to put Poly #2, either.

nmatsen
November 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
And Cal Poly deserves the #2 over App why?

Well, they don't now. But since your "comparing resumes" what does your resume say other than 3 time defending champs.

asknoquarter21
November 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Well, they don't now. But since your "comparing resumes" what does your resume say other than 3 time defending champs.

is that a serious question....

crunifan
November 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM

Northern Illinois doesn't play in our division.

CharlestonAppFan
November 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM

a loss to LSU, albeit they have gone down hill now, but it was the 1st game of the year, and the only other loss to JMU who is the #1 team in FCS right now....undefeated in conference play....how's that? and, 8 straight wins

Stang Fever
November 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
I don't think we will be seeded... We lost and that's that...So lets see if we can get a home game... Montana is 11-1 with one loss. There only loss is to Cal Poly... So yes they should get a seed

2nd I wonder what we will be ranked now that we lost??? Of course we dont stay #3 but do we go to #5???

GRZZ
November 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
I don't think we will be seeded... We lost and that's that...So lets see if we can get a home game... Montana is 11-1 with one loss. There only loss is to Cal Poly... So yes they should get a seed

2nd I wonder what we will be ranked now that we lost??? Of course we dont stay #3 but do we go to #5???

You mean Weber...

asknoquarter21
November 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Take away 3 national championships and our resume is #2 in the country

no argument to be #1 over a team that beat us

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Northern Illinois doesn't play in our division.
oops, make that UNI.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM

I think there's still a decent chance Poly will get a seed. A OT loss to a legit BCS team will definitely get noticed.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
I suppose an unseeded Poly would go to a seeded Montana if the seeds go that way. Weber could end up at UNI or Texas State or somewhere.

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
I could see Weber at Cal Poly.

nwFL Griz
November 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Take away 3 national championships and our resume is #2 in the country

no argument to be #1 over a team that beat us

Actually, I don't believe your resume is a with-out-a-doubt #2. IF you think based solely on going undefeated in the SoCon, that makes you #2... well, I'll concede. But your OOC wins are very pedestrian. Presby and J'ville? I think alot of your ranking is based on reputation.

I don't think there's anyway App does not get the #2, though. So all this is just fun speculation.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
They pair up Montana before Weber if Montana is seeded and Weber isn't. Cal Poly is closer than UNI, but some have said beyond 300 miles, geography doesn't matter.

If mileage is king and Montana is the only seeded west team, it would be Poly at Montana, Weber at UNI. 2nd round would look like Montana hosts the Weber-UNI winner/Poly goes to UNI/not sure about Poly vs. Weber.

JMUNJ08
Cal Poly is worthy of a seed after their performance today but the kicker HAS to be factored in as a loss is still a loss

With Weber losing, it should come down to who bids higher for the home game between Weber and Cal Poly and Montana gets a seed and the SLC winner

Ronbo
They better not send the best frikin' team (my opinion) in the country to the Griz this year. Cal Poly is tough, tough, tough. We got screwed last year drawing the Southern Conference champ while schools out east get MEAC, OVC, and Patriot schools. There's no way the 3rd or 4th ranked team should face a 4th or 5th ranked team in the 1st round. That sucks.

JMUNJ08
November 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
JMU was ranked 5th in 2006 and was sent to Youngstown St. who was ranked 4th. It is possible

B&G
November 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Actually, I don't believe your resume is a with-out-a-doubt #2. IF you think based solely on going undefeated in the SoCon, that makes you #2... well, I'll concede. But your OOC wins are very pedestrian. Presby and J'ville? I think alot of your ranking is based on reputation.

I don't think there's anyway App does not get the #2, though. So all this is just fun speculation.

The only losses were to a ranked (for now) BCS team and a 3 point loss to the #1 FCS team. Not sure how you could downgrade them. But I agree the OOC wins aren't the greatest.

Ronbo
November 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
JMU was ranked 5th in 2006 and was sent to Youngstown St. who was ranked 4th. It is possible

I remember that but if they start doing it to us year after year Montana will scream bloody murder. I say we get the Southland Champ in the 1st round, hopefully.

BDKJMU
November 22nd, 2008, 06:57 PM

JMU was ranked 6th. 5th ranked NDSU was playoff ineligible.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
I see #1 JMU, #2 App St., #3 Montana and #4 Villanova. I don't see UNI or Cal Poly getting a seed. The committee has a different view of the top 5 than the polls right now.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
I see #1 JMU, #2 App St., #3 Montana and #4 Villanova. I don't see UNI or Cal Poly getting a seed. The committee has a different view of the top 5 than the polls right now.

I agree.

Appguy
November 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
of course thats how you see it....
*insert homer remark here*
vill has its arguments but I think Cal poly should get it...and a new kicker

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
of course thats how you see it....
*insert homer remark here*
vill has its arguments but I think Cal poly should get it...and a new kicker

Semantics, and it is not a homer call at all. I am just putting out my prediction just like everyone else, jeez. This is what I predict, and I do not predict Cal Poly getting a seed.

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
If Cal Poly was in a real conference they might get a seed.. but Villanova's only losses are a last second hail mary to #1 JMU and West Virginia

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Villanova hasn't been beating teams like a seed should, but I gave them the seed over Poly, anyway.

malibudude
November 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Villanova hasn't been beating teams like a seed should, but I gave them the seed over Poly, anyway.

Are you really a Poly fan?, going to games for forty years?xeyebrowx

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM

It doesn't matter if it's by an inch or a mile.. winning's winning

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I think Nova might have best case for a seed. Might come down to Montana or Cal Poly for the last.

I don't know that they'll get it,but they've got a better resume.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
It doesn't matter if it's by an inch or a mile.. winning's winning

Nova's resume is the exact same as App St., lost to JMU and a FBS team; and Nova had JMU beat. Wins are wins, style points don't count.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
My heart has Poly winning the championship. My head has them 5th.

malibudude
November 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Fair comment.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I could argue them up to 3rd, too. I had them 7th before today. Watching Poly-BYU basketball on tv at the moment. See if they can manage not to lose in OT.

Khan4Cats
November 22nd, 2008, 10:29 PM

I see this as likely. Though it's possible, if the committee wants to add a 5th CAA team, that they might sacrifice the seed for Nova for a 5th entry.

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 10:41 PM

I'm not sure Nova wouldn't be #3.... Tougher sched, 3-1 vs ranked/playoff teams,one FBS loss & no DII wins.xeyebrowx

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure Nova wouldn't be #3.... Tougher sched, 3-1 vs ranked/playoff teams,one FBS loss & no DII wins.xeyebrowx

Montana is 10-1, I think based on number of wins they get the 3 seed. I also think they want a JMU vs App St. final. Putting Nova as the 3 seed would give the chance of an all CAA final and I think they want to avoid that. With Nova as the 4 seed they would have to go to JMU and knock each other off. Call me a conspiracy theorist.

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Montana actually is 11-1, most wins in FCS.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Montana actually is 11-1, most wins in FCS.

Even more reason for the 3 seed, thanks for the correction, and have fun with ASU if you get there. xlolx

smcwildcat
November 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Nova's resume is the exact same as App St., lost to JMU and a FBS team; and Nova had JMU beat. Wins are wins, style points don't count.

a ha but not win a loss is a loss

T-Dog
November 23rd, 2008, 02:40 AM

We'll if you're going to count that, might as well count in that we had JMU beat at halftime.

Sounds ridiculous right? It doesn't matter that you had JMU beat. You lost to JMU. We lost to JMU. xsmhx

The only difference in our resumes is that our JMU loss was @ JMU and we went undefeated in our conference and won it outright, both of which is to our advantage. xrulesx

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
a loss to LSU, albeit they have gone down hill now, but it was the 1st game of the year, and the only other loss to JMU who is the #1 team in FCS right now....undefeated in conference play....how's that? and, 8 straight wins

We have a loss to BYU (about the same margin / type game of yours with LSU) and a last second field goal loss on the road to a conference foe that many are arguing should be a top four team / seed. As well as many wins over teams that were ranked top 12-25 at the time we beat them (much like yourselves) yet App is all but guaranteed a 2 seed and some people are predicting UNI doesn't even get a home game, it must be nice to be able to live off of success of years past.

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM

Did you have coffee with the committee this morning or something? Or are you just guessing?

uofmman1122
November 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Did you have coffee with the committee this morning or something? Or are you just guessing?They use their own ranking system very different from any of the polls or rankings. He could be right, and he could be way off. Everyone could be way off.

For all we know, they could have
1. Montana
2. Cal Poly
3. ASU
4. South Carolina State

(I'm sure they don't, but we won't know who they think is the 1-4 until tomorrow)

Pantherpower
November 23rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Did you have coffee with the committee this morning or something? Or are you just guessing?

You're growing on me, Matsen. If nothing else, you speak your mind, and I respect that!xthumbsupx

charliej
November 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM

According to the interview with committee chair John McCutcheon:

Question #2: I wanted to make sure that what they did each week was to come up with their own national ranking and here was his reply; “The national committee will take the regional advisory lists from their area and each national committee member kind of puts them together in a national ranking and we discuss that in the Tuesday call.” This thereby confirms that they do have their own “secret” ranking if you will, which is great news considering the insanity of the current polls, but more about that later.

The entire interveiw is here http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-caa-today-playoff-facts-review-and-i&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

clenz
November 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
We have a loss to BYU (about the same margin / type game of yours with LSU) and a last second field goal loss on the road to a conference foe that many are arguing should be a top four team / seed. As well as many wins over teams that were ranked top 12-25 at the time we beat them (much like yourselves) yet App is all but guaranteed a 2 seed and some people are predicting UNI doesn't even get a home game, it must be nice to be able to live off of success of years past.

xoutofrepx

Edge316007
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM

Please.

LSU is a much better team than BYU.

App won it's conference outright, UNI did not (IMO, shouldn't even be Co-champs due to the head to head loss just like App last year, but it is what it is).

App's only FCS loss was an OOC loss at the beginning of the year to the likely #1 overall team. UNI loss to a team that is likely to not even be seeded.

SoCon is a tougher conference than MVC.

Where are the quality wins?

"Sorry I ruined your UNI Panther party"

Anovafan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
We'll if you're going to count that, might as well count in that we had JMU beat at halftime.

Sounds ridiculous right? It doesn't matter that you had JMU beat. You lost to JMU. We lost to JMU. xsmhx

The only difference in our resumes is that our JMU loss was @ JMU and we went undefeated in our conference and won it outright, both of which is to our advantage. xrulesx

My point is really for Nova getting a seed over UNI, Cal Poly or SIU. Everyone has App. St. as a slam dunk for a seed and has been #1 or #2 in the polls all year (as they should). Nova has a very similar resume as App. St. and Nova has not cracked the top 4 in any of the human polls, which I think is wrong based on results and SOS.

ChickenMan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Looks pretty obvious to me:

1 - JMU
2 - ASU
3 - Montana
4 - Villanova

if it comes down to Nova/SIU it's a no brainer.. Nova FCS loss was to #1 JMU.. UNI lost to unranked NDST

if it comes down to Nova/UNI again it's Nova.. UNI has zero quality FCS wins.. Nova has two or three

if it's between Nova/Cal Poly.. Nova wins again.. Poly has no quality FCS wins.. it's best win was over a very poor FBS San Diego St (2-10)

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
ChickenMan, your logic is flawless, and hopefully next year you can take the paper bag off xthumbsupx

AlphaSigMD
November 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
JMU
ASU
Montana
UNI

AlphaSigMD
November 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Or to quote Vasily Borodin from The Hunt for the Red October: "I would have liked to have seen Montana".

That could be a beautiful semi-final matchup!

RationalGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
I think it will be JMU, App, UM, and SIU/UNI.

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Looks pretty obvious to me:

1 - JMU
2 - ASU
3 - Montana
4 - Villanova

if it comes down to Nova/SIU it's a no brainer.. Nova FCS loss was to #1 JMU.. UNI lost to unranked NDST

if it comes down to Nova/UNI again it's Nova.. UNI has zero quality FCS wins.. Nova has two or three

if it's between Nova/Cal Poly.. Nova wins again.. Poly has no quality FCS wins.. it's best win was over a very poor FBS San Diego St (2-10)

UNI beat NDSU. Only loss was to SIU.(other than BYU)

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Please.

App won it's conference outright, UNI did not (IMO, shouldn't even be Co-champs due to the head to head loss just like App last year, but it is what it is).

App's only FCS loss was an OOC loss at the beginning of the year to the likely #1 overall team. UNI loss to a team that is likely to not even be seeded.

Hahahah you're kidding right?

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM

Villanova beat Richmond, W&M and UNH only losses were to JMU (on a last second hail mary) and WVU..
Your Point?

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Please.

You say that like LSU would demolish BYU. Not even close my friend. Had I not watched (and lost a crap load of money yesterday) watching LSU get EMBARRASSED at home I might have agreed with you. LSU may beat BYU but I don't know anyone who would throw dough on it.

BYU is good football team in a very, very, very, underated conference.

I agree, we should not be co-champs, I hate that.

Socon is tougher than the MVC in your opinion, and probably others, and a computer. Have any Socon teams played MVC teams this year?

Quality wins? Western Illinois was #15, we played them on the road, and won by 30. Thats quality in my book. Not to mention beating two teams that were ranked in the top 25 when we played them (SDSU, NDSU) and beating them handily. Much like the quality wins that Appy has, they aren't as quality after you beat them.

Sure, App is probably a better team than UNI. I am not too proud to admit that. I just don't get the lack of love for UNI.

Sorry I am such a homer.

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Villanova beat Richmond, W&M and UNH only losses were to JMU (on a last second hail mary) and WVU..
Your Point?

If you go back and look at where I stated that you would see it is in response to a poster saying we lost to NDSU. There was not Nova comparrison going on.

Edge316007
November 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
You say that like LSU would demolish BYU. Not even close my friend. Had I not watched (and lost a crap load of money yesterday) watching LSU get EMBARRASSED at home I might have agreed with you. LSU may beat BYU but I don't know anyone who would throw dough on it.

BYU is good football team in a very, very, very, underated conference.

I agree, we should not be co-champs, I hate that.

Socon is tougher than the MVC in your opinion, and probably others, and a computer. Have any Socon teams played MVC teams this year?

Quality wins? Western Illinois was #15, we played them on the road, and won by 30. Thats quality in my book. Not to mention beating two teams that were ranked in the top 25 when we played them (SDSU, NDSU) and beating them handily. Much like the quality wins that Appy has, they aren't as quality after you beat them.

Sure, App is probably a better team than UNI. I am not too proud to admit that. I just don't get the lack of love for UNI.

Sorry I am such a homer.

Don't get me wrong, I think UNI is in the mix for a seed along with Villanova and Cal Poly and SIU (I think Montana has a lock on one though), but I'm tired of people saying App is only the #2 because of their history.

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think UNI is in the mix for a seed along with Villanova and Cal Poly and SIU (I think Montana has a lock on one though), but I'm tired of people saying App is only the #2 because of their history.

I can see how that would get old, my bad. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

tingly
November 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
NCAA's GPI has Cal Poly out of the seeds by 4 spots, give or take, but I don't know that it has much if any weight in the decision.

charliej
November 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I think that was a typo on chickenmans part...I'm sure he meant SIU lost to unranked NDSU

StrikeJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Your Point?

...there was actually 4.3 seconds left. ;)

ChickenMan
November 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I think that was a typo on chickenmans part...I'm sure he meant SIU lost to unranked NDSU

your are correct sir.. a typo.. should have been SIU