PDA

View Full Version : Elon v. Liberty: The Fighting Christians at The Fighting Falwells

ToTheLeft
November 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Considering this is probably the biggest game in terms of playoff implications this weekend, I figured someone should start an official game thread. I won't be here to talk during the game because I will be in the front row a few feet away from my buddy's Scott and T-Mobile, but I figure this game will be watched closely, since an LU win opens the floodgates of possible at-large playoff teams, including LU.

That being said... predictions?

All I know is that Riddle will pass for at least 350, and Hudgins will probably catch about 175-200 of those. Our pass D is still pretty loose, and so the short stuff to Hudgins will be there all day if Scott can handle the pressure of the blitz.

I refuse to predict the score, but I am sure a lot of people out there have thoughts and ideas...

catamount man
November 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Elon by a field goal.

19Duke97
November 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Elon by 21.

Mntneer
November 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Elon by 14.

ElonPride
November 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm not saying that Liberty won't be ready, but I know a lot of the Elon players will be fired up for the game. This was the 2nd year in a row Elon could have at least a share of the conference title, and it once again came down to the last conference game of the season......and couldn't pull through.

I'm planning on making the trip over for the game. Not too bad of a drive from Richmond.

ToTheLeft
November 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, teams usually don't forget a 42-14 beat down. They usually wanna get some revenge after an attack like that.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Does the winner play The Fighting Irish?

asucrutch23
November 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Does the winner play The Fighting Irish?

No, they should get the Fighting Quakers. xthumbsupx

elon77
Considering this is probably the biggest game in terms of playoff implications this weekend, I figured someone should start an official game thread. I won't be here to talk during the game because I will be in the front row a few feet away from my buddy's Scott and T-Mobile, but I figure this game will be watched closely, since an LU win opens the floodgates of possible at-large playoff teams, including LU.

All I know is that Riddle will pass for at least 350, and Hudgins will probably catch about 175-200 of those. Our pass D is still pretty loose, and so the short stuff to Hudgins will be there all day if Scott can handle the pressure of the blitz.

I refuse to predict the score, but I am sure a lot of people out there have thoughts and ideas...

Better not pay to much attention to the pass, if you do Brandon Newsome will run past you for 150 + yards. Just ask ASU, he can go.

appstate38
Elon by 10!!!!

The Phoenix running game was better than advertised. Should be a good one though.

ElonPride
November 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
No, they should get the Fighting Quakers. xthumbsupx

Good lord you're all over the map with teams you pull for!!!!

From Arizona to Detriot.......

I thought I was weird that growing up in North Carolina, my brother was a Toronto Blue Jays fan, and I a Phillies fan!

Rekdiver
November 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
A must win for validation of the progress made by Elon and a spot in the playoffs.

Elon by 9.

Go...gate
November 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Can Pete Lembo win a big game? xeyebrowx

The Fightin' Falwells by a TD.

PhoenixPhan06
November 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
A must win for validation of the progress made by Elon and a spot in the playoffs.

Elon by 9.

We get the monkey off our backs in this one and roll into the playoffs by 24

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Christians 37-13.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM

That is the big question i suppose although he win his fair share of "Big Games" with Lehigh. Certaintly more than the current guy. Lembo did have a tendacy to struggle the Sat. before Thanksgiving the most however.

ngineer
November 19th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I'll go with Elon in a comfortable win, 41-17. I don't see Liberty holding Elon's offense in check and Pete will have the players psyched about making a bold statement for the playoffs.

SoCon48
November 19th, 2008, 10:56 PM

Elon >40
Libby <20

If your secondary is week, the only prayer you have is to blitz all day. Still won't work enough of the time to make up for the "burnings."

Phoenixrising
November 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Lembo won't allow this team to let another playoff spot slip their fingers.
If B.New can move the markers and keep Liberty honest (which he definitely can) Riddle, Hudgins, and Williamson are going put on a show.
Phoenix by 17.

luflame15
November 20th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Liberty will win by 7 in very close ball game. Its at home and being marketed as the biggest football game in the schools history. The players arent bound to let a game like this slip throught the cracks. Liberty wins a close one, 21-14.

Tribe4SF
November 20th, 2008, 06:10 AM

The question should be "can Danny Rocco win a big game". Last year the key games were W&M and Elon. Lost a tough one to a struggling W&M squad, and got smoked by Elon. This years first key went badly against Lafayette (now an unranked team), and now he's got Elon. Throw in an ugly loss to Presbyterian, and Danny has yet to produce like a top 20 coach. How much ground has Liberty made up from the 42-14 shellacking that was the last meeting?

whoanellie
November 20th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I did not see any news that ASU's Armani Edwards has transferred to Liberty.
Weather is good.
Elon's D is very good.
Special teams special.
Running game is in gear.
oh and We can pass & catch too.

We are motivated to win and We are in!!!!!

W-Elon W-elon? BELONg in play-offs!!!

gophoenix
November 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I predict a good game. Both teams are going to be fired up for different reasons.

appstate1998
November 20th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Liberty scores the first 10, Elon scores the next 42

elon77
November 20th, 2008, 07:35 AM
xsmhx
Liberty will win by 7 in very close ball game. Its at home and being marketed as the biggest football game in the schools history. The players arent bound to let a game like this slip throught the cracks. Liberty wins a close one, 21-14.

Your defense gave up 27 points to Glenville, 16 to WCU, 28 to Youngstown, 38 to Coastal, 35 to Laffey, 31 to Pres., and 26 to VMI and you think you will hold Elon to 14. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx . Excuse me I had to pick myself up off the floor. If you can hold Elon to 14 points in each quarter you will be lucky. But, who knows I quess anything is possible. Sorry I just don't think with this years history you will hold them to 14 points.xnonox

jcmanson
November 20th, 2008, 07:51 AM
The question should be "can Danny Rocco win a big game". Last year the key games were W&M and Elon. Lost a tough one to a struggling W&M squad, and got smoked by Elon. This years first key went badly against Lafayette (now an unranked team), and now he's got Elon. Throw in an ugly loss to Presbyterian, and Danny has yet to produce like a top 20 coach. How much ground has Liberty made up from the 42-14 shellacking that was the last meeting?

On a national stage you are correct, but you have to remember where Liberty came from. In 2005, the year before Rocco, we were 1-10. We weren't even close to being competitive to anyone other than D2's and lower. Our "key" games last were not W&M and Elon, they were Coastal and Gardner Webb and we torched each of them. Our sole goal last year was to win the conference, and we did so convincingly. Coming into this year, our team and coaching staff had our early 3 game road trip circled on the calendar (@ Western, @ YSU, & @ CCU). Those were our "key" games coming into the year and we won those. Looking back on them they don't look "big" but coming into the season and into the games they were. In Liberty's eyes coach Rocco has won some "key" games. To the national stage he hasn't won anything yet, but has a chance starting Saturday to prove our program on a national level.

T-Dogg
November 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I Just can not see Elon loosing to this Liberty team. Elon had a screamer agianst Wofford but that is no indication of how good Elon is. Looking at liberty's schedule and Elon's shows a huge difference is quality (this year)!

I hope it is a good game but I see this as a comfortable Elon victory by 3 TD's or more. liberty will likely have their day (playoffs) but it will not be this year. I can not see Elon throwing their playoff chance away.......

Drblankstare
November 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Elon wins by 2 scores. Liberty blames Jesus for the loss. xsmiley_wix

elon77
November 20th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I Just can not see Elon loosing to this Liberty team. Elon had a screamer agianst Wofford but that is no indication of how good Elon is. Looking at liberty's schedule and Elon's shows a huge difference is quality (this year)!

I hope it is a good game but I see this as a comfortable Elon victory by 3 TD's or more. liberty will likely have their day (playoffs) but it will not be this year. I can not see Elon throwing their playoff chance away.......

Knowing Citdogs love for Liberty, I wonder who he thinks will win? xeyebrowx

ToTheLeft
November 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I am pretty sick of Liberty fans thinking we are going to hold Elon under 30 points. If LU is going to win, we're going to have to score 40-50 or more, because Elon WILL score. Their offense is going to put up numbers against us.

ElonPride
November 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I am pretty sick of Liberty fans thinking we are going to hold Elon under 30 points. If LU is going to win, we're going to have to score 40-50 or more, because Elon WILL score. Their offense is going to put up numbers against us.

I saw a fan on your board was predicting a 42-14 Liberty win xeekx

jus10asu
November 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Elon will win this one easy, if they bring what they did to App they have this one by 2-3 scores. Elon just needs to play penalty free ball and capitalize on turnovers and the rest will take its course. Elon 41 Liberty 17.

If liberty can't hold Youngstown, Coastal, Presby, or VMI down then they're surely not gonna do it to Elon.

phoenixphanatic21
November 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Well at least they are being positive. I'm sorry but they obviously haven't paid that much attention to us this year then. Nothing against Liberty, but if we played the same way we played against App and just finish this time, there's no way we can lose. Elon makes a statement and wins 42-14 again, giving themselves a playoff birth to go take on JMU.

ToTheLeft
November 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Yeah, our board tends to bring out some of our more... special fans.

Honestly, I don't think we can win this. I want to, and I see a way we can, but I don't we can win. If we played this game 10 times, Elon would win 7 or 8 of them. The only way we can win is with Riddle on his back and the running game shut down.

fantheflames71
November 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Read a little lower, he wasnt serious "I really don't think we are going to win by that much. That is what they beat us by last year. I just think it would be the ultimate revenge to get the back with the same score. And no one expected them to beat us that badly last year."

AppAlum2003
November 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Is this game on MASN?

ElonPride
November 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Read a little lower, he wasnt serious "I really don't think we are going to win by that much. That is what they beat us by last year. I just think it would be the ultimate revenge to get the back with the same score. And no one expected them to beat us that badly last year."

My apologies, the guy did have a follow up post on down the line.....

ToTheLeft
November 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Is this game on MASN?

Somehow it is not.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 20th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Somehow it is not.

Is there any TV or video webcast for this game? The ELON website only says "live audio".

ToTheLeft
November 20th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Big South Edge offers video feed, but it's not really worth what you pay. You can try it tho.

IaaScribe
November 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
There's no way this game is going to be 42-14 either way. I anticipate a dogfight between a couple of good, up-and-coming FCS programs.

jcmanson
November 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
The game is televised nationally on Family Net

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 21st, 2008, 04:39 AM
Big South Edge offers video feed, but it's not really worth what you pay. You can try it tho.

Thanks. I 'll check that out.

JMU Newbill
November 21st, 2008, 09:02 AM

Elon by atleast 3 touchdowns.... would not surprise me if its more.

And in terms of this being the game with the biggest playoff implications.... I think W&M vs. Richmond is def a play-in game. Winner is in, loser goes home.

If Liberty wins this game, I still don't think they are guaranteed a bid in the field of 16, but it certainly would hurt, if not kill, Elon's chances.

luflame15
November 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Liberty will be playing with heavy hearts after losing a former teammate today. RIP Shay, may angels lead you in the gates.

PhoenixSupreme
November 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
I really wanted to go to the game, but I decided to stay in Richmond to hang out with my cousin who was supposed to come up but bailed out at the last minute. Too late to plan to go to the game for me though. I know I'm gonna miss a good one there.

phoenix3
November 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
I really wanted to go to the game, but I decided to stay in Richmond to hang out with my cousin who was supposed to come up but bailed out at the last minute. Too late to plan to go to the game for me though. I know I'm gonna miss a good one there.

Wow, sorry you're not going to make the 30 min. trip to Lynchtown. We need more dedicated fans like youxnonono2x Here's to the REAL Elon fans, We'll see you tommorow in Lynchtown!!!!!

There'll be many more there to take your ***** *** place.

Here's to an Elon WIN in the first FCS playoff game!!!!!!

SuperJon
November 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM
It's over two hours from Lynchburg to Richmond.

phoenix3
November 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
xdizzyx xgiveadamnx Thanks Mr Wizzard.

SoCon48
November 22nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
Better not pay to much attention to the pass, if you do Brandon Newsome will run past you for 150 + yards. Just ask ASU, he can go.

xnodx And how did that work out for you?xeyebrowx

SoCon48
November 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Regardless of the outcome on the scorebord for the Elon victim team, plan to lose at least one player to knee surgery, etc for the offseason and get no late hit call from the refs.

elon77
November 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Regardless of the outcome on the scorebord for the Elon victim team, plan to lose at least one player to knee surgery, etc for the offseason and get no late hit call from the refs.

And how many did you lose for the season after the Elon game?xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Safe travels to all you Elon folks... it's game day!

elon77
November 22nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Safe travels to all you Elon folks... it's game day!

Great day for a football game, especially if it's an Elon victory.:D

appstate1998
November 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
And how many did you lose for the season after the Elon game?xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

guess we will find out if Edwards plays today. If thats the case then 1.xrulesx

B&G
November 22nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Liberty is looking pretty good so far.

0-0, 9:47 in 1st qtr

2nd & 10 in Elon territory

B&G
November 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Liberty converts 4th & 1 for 6 yd gain to Elon's 25

B&G
November 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
LIB hits 44 yd FG (their kicker's longest this season) to go up 3-0

B&G
November 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Newsome fumbles on draw play. LIB recovers at their own 46.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
FINISH

StrikeJMU
November 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
13-3 eh? whats Elons issues? (i cant see the game)

ElonPride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
13-3 eh? whats Elons issues? (i cant see the game)

We suck.......that's the issue

danefan
November 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Liberty looks good every 5th play and Elon is flat.

Liberty has no offensive TD's. 3 FGs and 1 punt return. Been stuffed in the red zone twice.

ElonPride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Liberty looks good every 5th play and Elon is flat.

Liberty has no offensive TD's. 3 FGs and 1 punt return. Been stuffed in the red zone twice.

Elon has no TDs either, and had a FG blocked. This is seriously a pathetic showing.

elcid96
November 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
How much time left in the game

T-Dogg
November 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
This is not the Elon team I expected to show up!

alexale23
November 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
its the one i did

ElonPride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
This is not the Elon team I expected to show up!

Not the Elon team I expected either. I can't say it enough, pathetic. Starting to believe what the Lehigh fans were saying about Lembo.

danefan
November 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Liberty need to tack on some points in this game for style. With Maine and W&M losing, maybe, just maybe a big win could help Liberty sneak in (unless Lafayette loses to Lehigh, which will likely ruin Liberty's slim chance)

T-Dogg
November 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
its the one i did

Brilliant there master of the obvious......

StrikeJMU
November 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Go Elon!

LEHIGH61
November 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hey numbnuts - where was ELON before Lembo showed up. You'e got the coach that we should have kept. He had some close, weird, unbelievable losses at Lehigh his final 2 seasons but they would have kicked Elon's ass real bad. WAKE UP! He was merely a victim of what football teams sometimes face BEING SNAKEBITTEN! Elon lost a game against a formidable foe and now you're acting like the world is coming to an end. What an a-hole remark.

danefan
November 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Kind of ironic that Lembo (Elon) gives Liberty a shot at the playoffs for a split second and it looks like Lehigh takes it away by beating Lafayette.

Ironic.

PhoenixSupreme
November 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Oh well...there's always next year...things should be bigger and brighter then. This was major deja vu from last year (lost the final two games last year as well to keep us out of the playoffs)

*sigh*

Congrats to Liberty, and hopefully the committee gives you serious considerations now in the playoff bracket.

*sigh*

matfu
November 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Boy Elon really choked at the end of the season two years in a row. Can't believe they lost to Liberty to keep them out of the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
You never know what the committee is going to do and I hope they give Liberty a berth. Unless of course it means it'd make the difference between the unlikely occurence of McNeese getting in as an at large or not.

woffordgrad94
November 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Liberty SHOULD be in now, but their conference has no auto-bid. For their sake (and maybe ours), I hope they don't get "Wofforded"! Liberty @ JMU, PLEASE! Let WC play at home vs. maybe Richmond or SC State!

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
LU Put it all out there today and dominated on all sides of the ball. Way to go LU. I can't wait for 7pm tomorrow to see if the committe gets it right and puts the Flames in the field. They deserve it, and are playing there best ball now. Others being talked about over them are dying out.
Go LU!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Kind of ironic that Lembo (Elon) gives Liberty a shot at the playoffs for a split second and it looks like Lehigh takes it away by beating Lafayette.

Ironic.

I think a Big South team will get in before a PL team, especially with Stony Brook beating Colgate 42-26

[EDIT] NM, I understand what you are saying.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I think a Big South team will get in before a PL team, especially with Stony Brook beating Colgate 42-26

He just meant that Lafayette losing today by 16 to Lehigh makes Liberty's 14 point home loss to Lafayette look that much worse.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
You are right unfortunately!

Hoyadestroya85
November 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Thank you liberty, you may have just got a 5th CAA team in the Tourney

89Hen
November 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
I guess this eliminates the talk of Elon and the Big 3 for another year.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
I just want to know where all of the folks who said LU had no chance are now? It was a truly dominant performance.

g-webb1994
November 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Liberty deserves to be in, period, even if it is a quick exit game at Appy or JMU. ;)

Of course, G-W deserves a new head football coach too, and that isn't happening any time soon.:(

89Hen
November 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
FWIW, I watched parts of three Liberty games this year and they are not a playoff team IMHO. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
I don't think Liberty is a playoff team either. Lembo pulled the Sat before Thanksgiving gag and lost a game that Elon probably wins 8/10 times.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't think Liberty is a playoff team either. Lembo pulled the Sat before Thanksgiving gag and lost a game that Elon probably wins 8/10 times.

What makes you say that? He was 100% out coached today, and their players were out played. There are some bold statements being made on here about how teams would drill LU in a series of 8 or 10 games. Fortunately, they only play once per year and LU took this one soundly!

Mntneer
November 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Fantastically poor showing by Elon. Can't argue for them making the field after this game.

Boots Harvey
November 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Fantastically poor showing by Elon. Can't argue for them making the field after this game.

Elon was an embarrassment to the Socon today. They don't deserve to get in. Go ASU and Wofford. Make the conference proud.

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
How will Liberty "travel" on Thanksgiving weekend? Will some of your fans and alumni make it a point to attend? IMO, sometimes I swear that makes a difference to the Committee.

SuperJon
November 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hahaha, this is funny. Last week when we said it was a fluke losing that bad every single school said no, you just suck.

This year, we beat them that bad, and you're blaming it on a coach who supposedly can't win big games and saying it was a fluke.

Someone also said we'd lose to Samford by 21 right now.

This stuff is just funny.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
How will Liberty "travel" on Thanksgiving weekend? Will some of your fans and alumni make it a point to attend? IMO, sometimes I swear that makes a difference to the Committee.

We travel pretty well. Students... not so much. But there are plenty of alumni/friends in the area who would make the trip, and some students, like me and my friends, who will stop at nothing to make the trip.

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
We travel pretty well. Students... not so much. But there are plenty of alumni/friends in the area who would make the trip, and some students, like me and my friends, who will stop at nothing to make the trip.

I remember being that way too back in the day. Hope you get in and get to make the trip.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM

I would be there!

Boots Harvey
November 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Hahaha, this is funny. Last week when we said it was a fluke losing that bad every single school said no, you just suck.

This year, we beat them that bad, and you're blaming it on a coach who supposedly can't win big games and saying it was a fluke.

Someone also said we'd lose to Samford by 21 right now.

This stuff is just funny.

Congrats Liberty.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM

If they get sent to Harrisonburg first round you could expect a pretty decent turn out. Not far at all!

luflame15
November 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I will be there, no doubt . I havent missed a single game in 3 yrs as a student. Go LU!!!!!!!

elon77
November 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Just think 4 years ago Elon was where UTC is today. They have come along way in a short amount of time. Congrats go out to the Flames, Elon sure had a flame out today for some reason. Go luck to all the schools who make the playoffs, it was quite obvious today that Elon still has a way to go. Two years in a row they could not seal the deal. Hopefully they will be back with a chance next year, the program sees to be in pretty good shape and they are still fairly young. LONG LIVE ELON!xthumbsupx