PDA

View Full Version : Is Appalachian State overrated?

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
xrotatehx I highly doubt it.

This is in response to the SoCon being overrated thread since everyone wants to exclude App from the SoCon accomplishments I thought it would be better to talk about just App on another thread. Sorry ahead of time for starting this thread to anyone it bothers.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM

This is in response to the SoCon being overrated thread since everyone wants to exclude App from the SoCon accomplishments I thought it would be better to talk about just App on another thread. Sorry ahead of time for starting this thread to anyone it bothers.

Perhaps you haven't seen the 10,000 threads about the BSC being overrated because everyone wants to exclude Motana's accomplishments... xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Can't have your cake and eat it to, you ECB mo-fo's.... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xcoffeex ;)

SideLine Shooter
November 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM

It depends which team shows up on game-day. Also if they can play 2 halves of football. If they play like they did against Wofford (hitting on all cylinders), they will be unbeatable in FCS competition from here on out. We will see if they can maintain that intensity.

BeauFoster
November 2nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Perhaps you haven't seen the 10,000 threads about the BSC being overrated because everyone wants to exclude Motana's accomplishments... xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Can't have your cake and eat it to, you ECB mo-fo's.... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xcoffeex ;)

Well, the BSC is pretty weak...

:p

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
It depends which team shows up on game-day. Also if they can play 2 halves of football. If they play like they did against Wofford (hitting on all cylinders), they will be unbeatable in FCS competition from here on out. We will see if they can maintain that intensity.

I doubt they can maintain that intensity but if they play consistent and the offense operates as it did Friday, maybe not scoring every drive but now with the emergence of Brian Quick, I would honestly not be to happy if I were other teams that would potentially play App.

Personally i'd love nothing more than to see a JMU App St. Championship game and both teams are playing at the level they need to be to make it happen.

Should be interesting.

griz&beer
November 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
No. If they play that good no one will beat them. I think that is the best they can play. If they do not get there D going fast they can lose.

BigApp
November 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
...everyone wants to exclude Motana's accomplishments...

exclude what and by whom? I keep seeing Motana ranked very highly. or do you have a MRB? (Mountain Region Bias)

xsmiley_wix

cmaxwellgsu
November 2nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
As much as it pains me to say it, there is no way you can call a three time defending nat'l champ overrated. Not only have they been handling their conference business, they have a 12 game playoff win steak against everybody else.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 2nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Over-rated, are you all nuts? Find someone who taped the Wofford debacle, then decide. In addition, any team with A. Edwards is definitely NOT over-rated, ..... no matter how "suspect" some of you think the ASU defense might be. Holy smokes, .....

Rob Iola
November 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
At least ASU was able to beat Wofford...

alexale23
November 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
They are not overated they #2 right where they should be

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Good, the Defense is doing pretty well this year all things considered, the scary thing is that App is getting back just about as many people who start next year as they will lose to graduation.

They aren't overrated but they aren't underrated. JMU and App could pretty much be split dead even IMO and the game of App and JMU showed that. Should be an interesting next month and a half.

Cleets
November 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
As much as it pains me to say it, there is no way you can call a three time defending nat'l champ overrated. Not only have they been handling their conference business, they have a 12 game playoff win steak against everybody else.

xnodx

This is correct - personal feelings aside

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hard to be overrated when you hang 70 on the #3 team in the country.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Now the question is, does Wofford deserve to be a top 10 team, still looking at the rest of their season and how they had down prior to the Appalachian shellacking they recieved.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Now the question is, does Wofford deserve to be a top 10 team, still looking at the rest of their season and how they had down prior to the Appalachian shellacking they recieved.

Hard to be a top 10-15 team when someone hangs 70 on you.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hard to be a top 10-15 team when someone hangs 70 on you.

But not every team has a reciever named Brian Quick or quarterback named Armanti Edwards or the coaching staff of App State or the fans or the stadium or a Friday night game on Halloween on ESPN 2 at KBS infront of 31,000 people.

I personally believe they are top 10 but where in the top 10 I have no idea.

Syntax Error
November 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
"Is Appalachian State overrated?"

No.

BisonBacker
November 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
If anything they are under rated.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
They can't be underrated seeing as JMU beat them but I think it's a toss up for number 1 between the two.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
But not every team has a reciever named Brian Quick or quarterback named Armanti Edwards or the coaching staff of App State or the fans or the stadium or a Friday night game on Halloween on ESPN 2 at KBS infront of 31,000 people.

I personally believe they are top 10 but where in the top 10 I have no idea.

yadada yadada yadada.

You want to be star-struck, then roll over and play dead. Too many better teams that App could not put 70 on. You get 70 hung on you, you're not top 10. Bet on it.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
yadada yadada yadada.

You want to be star-struck, then roll over and play dead. Too many better teams that App could not put 70 on. You get 70 hung on you, you're not top 10. Bet on it.

Lose 23-13 to South Carolina and have then 13-13 in the fourth quarter and win everyother game after that except App. They've lost to the #2 team in FCS and an FBS team, that IMO=top 10. They didn't almost lose to a D-II team either.xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Lose 23-13 to South Carolina and have then 13-13 in the fourth quarter and win everyother game after that except App. They've lost to the #2 team in FCS and an FBS team, that IMO=top 10. They didn't almost lose to a D-II team either.xthumbsupx

Any team that has 70 put on them had BETTER be playing USC, Okhlahoma or Texas Tech. Otherwise, they're not top 10 in my book.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM

Regardless of what you've done before, you got 70 hung on you. How can anyone be considered top 10 by giving up 70 points and doing it on national television? Too many better teams out there this late in the season, none of which App could put 70 on them.

alexale23
November 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
They can't be underrated seeing as JMU beat them but I think it's a toss up for number 1 between the two.

HOW is it a tossup when the debate was settled on the field?

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM

Because it was a three point game in which App was up 21-0 showing they have what it takes to be number one.

JMU is the obvious number one team only because they won that game, but if they played again you would still be saying the same things about the teams before they played last time. Three points separate the number 1 and 2 teams and that's not exactly what I call an obvious number one, is should be, number 1a and 1b and in alphabetical order. And then the number 3 team.

Either way whats done is done and JMU is number one.xoopsx

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Because it was a three point game in which App was up 21-0 showing they have what it takes to be number one.

JMU is the obvious number one team only because they won that game, but if they played again you would still be saying the same things about the teams before they played last time. Three points separate the number 1 and 2 teams and that's not exactly what I call an obvious number one, is should be, number 1a and 1b and in alphabetical order. And then the number 3 team.

Eric, I don't think you should drive today. You've drank way too much this weekend.xlolx xnodx

A win still counts for something and JMU heads up with App State will still give the nod to JMU regardless of three points count as nothing and they are tied (if I follow you. I don't know if I do).

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
At least ASU was able to beat Wofford...

xnonox Not last year!!!

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM

Exactly!!xthumbsupx And Woffy is not top 10 after Friday night.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I would love to see any other team play App after they beat them the year before at the Rock on Halloween on National television. I don't think anyone's team who's talking smack would have done better. Seriously I haven't seen any fan of a top 10 team say that Wofford isn't top 10. Th thing is people have only seen us play one game and it was the worst game we've played since Elon last year. The App team this year is way better than the Elon team last year so they were going to win by way more than 11 points. If you haven't played App you should not talk smack about losing to App. Especially if you haven't played them at The Rock.

If you would notice-App did stuff like this to most every team in the playoffs last year.

matfu
November 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
wofford absolutely is a top 10 team. app state played a great game and wofford had 4-5 turnovers. whoever thinks wofford is not a top 10 team, i hope they come back and beat your team in the playoffs. it was just one of those games.

DB_Atlantic10
November 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
It depends which team shows up on game-day. Also if they can play 2 halves of football. If they play like they did against Wofford (hitting on all cylinders), they will be unbeatable in FCS competition from here on out. We will see if they can maintain that intensity. It looked to me like ASU took advantage of their speed advantage over Wofford.... Especially the tall/fast #8 receiver against a slow and short Wofford Secondary..... Wofford had no answer for it and ASU kept going to the well..... That's why ASU/JMU...ASU/GSU and ASU/Furman games will always be tough....speed on both sides of the ball...especially at the skills positions.xcoffeex

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Eric, I don't think you should drive today. You've drank way too much this weekend.xlolx xnodx

A win still counts for something and JMU heads up with App State will still give the nod to JMU regardless of three points count as nothing and they are tied (if I follow you. I don't know if I do).

I understand JMU winning the game makes them the obvious number one team in the polls and the game could've easily gone the other way. All i'm saying is that JMU may not be the best team in the country and IMO it's pretty much dead even between App and JMU IN MY OPINION!!!xnonono2x

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
It looked to me like ASU took advantage of their speed advantage over Wofford.... Especially the tall/fast #8 receiver against a slow and short Wofford Secondary..... Wofford had no answer for it and ASU kept going to the well..... That's why ASU/JMU...ASU/GSU and ASU/Furman games will always be tough....speed on both sides of the ball...especially at the skills positions.xcoffeex

I don't know that it was Woffords secondary being slow or Woffords secondary underestimating Armanti's arm strength. One ball he threw 65 yards right on target . That seems plausible.

alexale23
November 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM

OK so you saying that game didnot count. With you 1a theory in that case shouldnt GSU be 1c for only losin to app by 1 point. The reason JMU is #1 cause they beat the #1 #3 #5 and #7 team this year. I dont think APP has done that. I mean DAM APP LOST TO JMU how could you say they ahould be 1a and 1b. WOW Should Texas be #1 after losin a close one to texas tech. You are nuts man

appfan2008
November 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
this thread is just silly app is far from overrated...

DB_Atlantic10
November 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Lose 23-13 to South Carolina and have then 13-13 in the fourth quarter and win everyother game after that except App. They've lost to the #2 team in FCS and an FBS team, that IMO=top 10. They didn't almost lose to a D-II team either.xthumbsupx Get in line......

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
OK so you saying that game didnot count. With you 1a theory in that case shouldnt GSU be 1c for only losin to app by 1 point. The reason JMU is #1 cause they beat the #1 #3 #5 and #7 team this year. I dont think APP has done that. I mean DAM APP LOST TO JMU how could you say they ahould be 1a and 1b. WOW Should Texas be #1 after losin a close one to texas tech. You are nuts man

You saw the game and saw App has what it takes to be number one. JMU squeeked squeeked and against squeeked by all those games, App blows out the #3 team 70-24 and has one every other game pretty decently. I never said JMU was a bad team or that they don't deserve their number one ranking. I'm saying from what i've seen they are two pretty even teams. For the one hundredth time.
xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

DB_Atlantic10
November 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I don't know that it was Woffords secondary being slow or Woffords secondary underestimating Armanti's arm strength. One ball he threw 65 yards right on target . That seems plausible. Well you have to execute it....and ASU executed their plan to take advantage of their secondary.....AE getting it there was never an issue.... That approach would not work as well against the three previous teams mentioned....as their secondaries are faster and their front rush would get to him a lot quicker....

Edge316007
November 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
App lost a close one to JMU in 3rd game of the season. Just as with the "other" division, an early loss isn't a bad thing. JMU is the clear #1 in my eyes, but some may believe that if the game was held in Boone or a neutral site then App may have won. That's the reason they'll get 10-20 first place votes in the poll.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Nope. App State is not over-rated rated at #2.

No matter how many teams they blow out at home, they should not be seeded higher than the one team that beat 'em, unless that team drops an FCS game. Then all bets are off.

Should be the same with Montana and Weber.

Heritage, tradition, computer ratings and revenue potential should count, but conference championships and same-season head-to-head wins and losses should count, too. The kids that are playing this year are not responsible for the teams that won or lost four years ago, or ten years ago, or twenty years ago.

All due respect to App State, Montana, Richmond, Villanova, and a host of other teams! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

But EACH has lost to this years' probable conference champs.xsmiley_wix

appstate1998
November 2nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
JMU is #1 in the polls but it's hard to say that this is the same App team that they played.

From Coach Moore's quote on why the team’s play has improved ...

“One of the things that’s happening with us is that 4-5 weeks ago when we had a few guys get hurt, we had to go with some younger guys that weren’t quite ready to play college football at our level. Now those guys are gaining some experience and you can see the dividends on the field.”

yosef1969
November 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Depends on the rater and where they have them rated.

I have them rated 1b, right behind JMU. For purposes of full disclosure I am a bit of homer. However I am not on the committee so my rating is about as worthless as this thread.

appstate38
November 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I tell you what... The App D forced 9 turnovers in the last two games. Yes they given up a ton of yardage, but when you are forcing turnovers at that rate then you truly have something to build on.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
JMU is #1 in the polls but it's hard to say that this is the same App team that they played.

From Coach Moore's quote on why the team’s play has improved ...

“One of the things that’s happening with us is that 4-5 weeks ago when we had a few guys get hurt, we had to go with some younger guys that weren’t quite ready to play college football at our level. Now those guys are gaining some experience and you can see the dividends on the field.”

Although I would not dream of arguing with Coach Moore, there is more to ASU's improvement than just guys recovering from injuries & young players getting reps. Lots of stuff just "gelled" against Wofford. Quick has been steadily improving - Halloween was his break out game. Who knew AE had such an arm? The D came of age too - against a good option team. And, special teams put out their best effort yet. Most of all, we played a complete game.

bpcats
November 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
From watching the Wofford game, it appears there are a few ways a team could attack App State and score some points. However, with Armanti Edwards running the show, I don't see a team being able to score enough to hang with them.

There are a few teams that could give them a run for their money in JMU, Montana and Cal Poly, but that is about it.

appstate1998
November 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
From watching the Wofford game, it appears there are a few ways a team could attack App State and score some points. However, with Armanti Edwards running the show, I don't see a team being able to score enough to hang with them.

There are a few teams that could give them a run for their money in JMU, Montana and Cal Poly, but that is about it.

run the ball and don't have 5 turnovers is the best offense against App

Boots Harvey
November 2nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Thought they had a weak defense ...until the Wofford game. ASU over rated? Don't think so. Will they win the title again? Up in the air. Armanti Edwards the Peyton Award Winner? Without a doubt. He's the best player in the FCS. Period. Oh yea, used to think that Coco Hillary was the best WR. Not anymore. That 6'5" WR named Quick I think is or will be unbelievable. The SoCon has some amazing WR's. Elon kid....TO like receiver... Roberts @ Citadel is for real. Andrews @ GSU has been impressive. ASU...Hillary, Quick...

appstate1998
November 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
I think the coaches finally realized that Quick being 6'5 and having some major hops has a major advantage over the defenses trying to cover him.

AppStateold299
November 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I would have to say they figured out a lot of things that will come in handy coming to the end of the season and heading into the playoffs. Let's hope they stay hitting on all cylinders like Friday.

ASU_MBA
November 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
JMU is #1 and should still be, they earned it by beating us....but honestly we are playing better ball right now....We had no passing game in Harrisonburg and our youth on D was shown....I would love to see a rematch for the Nat-l Title at our second Rock in Nooga....I think JMU is much more one dimensional than App at this point....I would not be shocked if both teams win out and JMU loses to Richmond or Nova at home in the playoffs...I know it is a homer thought...but just my opinion.

More to think about.....
Bill and Mary is the last test for JMU
App has a good and dangerous Elon team....and Western which in a rivalry game anything is possible...

Let's just hope they don't give some West coast team a #2 seed or we may be headed back to Bridgeforth in Dec.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
JMU is #1 and should still be, they earned it by beating us....but honestly we are playing better ball right now....We had no passing game in Harrisonburg and our youth on D was shown....I would love to see a rematch for the Nat-l Title at our second Rock in Nooga....I think JMU is much more one dimensional than App at this point....I would not be shocked if both teams win out and JMU loses to Richmond or Nova at home in the playoffs...I know it is a homer thought...but just my opinion.

More to think about.....
Bill and Mary is the last test for JMU
App has a good and dangerous Elon team....and Western which in a rivalry game anything is possible...

Let's just hope they don't give some West coast team a #2 seed or we may be headed back to Bridgeforth in Dec.

Where's Bridgeforth?

ASU_MBA
November 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Harrisonburg....i think that is the name of the stadium

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
I think the coaches finally realized that Quick being 6'5 and having some major hops has a major advantage over the defenses trying to cover him.

Major hops? Like beer? xsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM

Ah. But if we are the #2 seed, then the only place we will be heading, other than KBS, is Chatty.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM

Oops. Sorry, I did not read your earlier post correctly. Never mind.

ASU_MBA
November 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
I meant if they give the #2 seed to a west coast team...my error...

ASU_MBA
November 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
not a biggie...i actually thought I wrote it incorrectly...

MaxASU'81
November 2nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
I really think it has more to do with Brian! He has stepped up, not the coaches! They knew he had it in him! Now he is showing it!

ASUdrummer
November 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I was at the JMU game. I was at the Wofford game. We are far from over-rated. After that JMU meltdown the boys have worked hard to improve and Friday night showed everything paying off at once. If the Mountaineers play ball like that the remainder of the year give them another ring. Not being a homer, an optimist, or arrogant...just realistic.

As far as Wofford playing a horrible game. Does everyone seem to forget that they came out and scored on their first two possessions?! Give our defense some credit for figuring the Terriers out and working hard to exploit their weaknesses. It's an insult to those players to say Wofford played the worst game of the year...

blackNgold93
November 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
One thing that concerns me is that we may have peaked or are peaking too early. Last year in the playoffs our margin of victory increased each week. I'm not sure we can play a more complete game than we did on Friday. Thoughts?

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
One thing that concerns me is that we may have peaked or are peaking too early. Last year in the playoffs our margin of victory increased each week. I'm not sure we can play a more complete game than we did on Friday. Thoughts?

That wasn't a peak, the margin of victory grew to slow leading up to that game they will begin to peak again right in time for the second round playoff game. Then end after the Championship.(assuming they make it that far.)