PDA

View Full Version : Wofford at Appalachian State In-Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

jonmac
October 31st, 2008, 10:31 PM
I truly believe that the continuation of the game plane until the final horn is all about building momentum for the run in the playoffs. We have not held the peddle down all season and it has affected our play. This was nothing personal against Wofford but the time is now to get into the Championship mindset. It's going to take a roll for us to win it all this year and hopefully this is just the start of it. I have mixed feelings about scoring as much as we did late but I can understand the mindset.

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM
All the App hate, but do we not remember Wofford trying to run up the score last season.

Jerry Moore got the team fired up with his anger tonight and he didn't call off the dogs. He did earlier in the season and we watched a 20 something point lead go away, he didn't want that to happen again.

It's GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!

We didn't run up the score last year, we tried to run out the clock an instead broke free for A TD. 11 points is breathing room. 46 points is running up the score.

ASU88
October 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM
How long before the next post whining about something App St players, coaches or fans do or don't do?

SE ... calling out "DISGUSTING" in one post and then lament about App St fans posting in this thread in another? Please!

xbawlingx
xbawlingx
xbawlingx
xbawlingx

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:33 PM
you made him change his sig

actually I did that before.

HiHiYikas
October 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
ASU fans, deflecting to Wofford's alleged 2007 piling on only legitimizes an argument that has all the merit of a six year old girl complaining "it's not right that one team's players are bigger than the others."

It's kinda cute actually, in it's own way.

Wofford did very well against ASU in 07, ASU did very well against Wofford in 08. I would assume that a smart program does the kinds of things neccessary to avoid a 5-loss season after a trip to the title game. Getting the future QB some reps against one of the best defenses you've faced all season seems a good way to do it.

appstate1998
We didn't run up the score last year, we tried to run out the clock an instead broke free for A TD. 11 points is breathing room. 46 points is running up the score.

what's the 49 you beat Chattanooga by then?

Appaholic
How long before the next post whining about something App St players, coaches or fans do or don't do?

SE ... calling out "DISGUSTING" in one post and then lament about App St fans posting in this thread in another? Please!

xbawlingx
xbawlingx
xbawlingx
xbawlingx

Careful 88...you're awfully close to pulling back the curtain and getting a suspension.....xnonox

Mntneer
October 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM

Enough already. Our backup QB was in, those snaps are valuable to him and our team's future. If you don't like the score, then you find a way to stop us. The way you talk, we shouldn't have even taken the field...xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:38 PM

that was the second string and Chatty gave up after the starters left 6 minutes in to the 3rd. It was 35-7 we called off the dogs

appstate38
October 31st, 2008, 10:38 PM

Hmmm you may want to hold this post in your pocket until after we play UTC.xsmiley_wix

appstate1998
October 31st, 2008, 10:41 PM
hey we only went for it once on 4th down and were amazing on third down. I think the real issue here was your 5 turnovers...not us running up the score. You had the ball longer.....ran all over us....400 yards? Are you kidding me. Had you held on to the ball..... could have been a totally different game.

Turfwar
October 31st, 2008, 10:41 PM
On the final App. drive should have taken the knee. It is a dangerous thing to run it up so high, builds false confidence, kind of like USC, then you lose a game to some low tier school. But maybe they won't.

Who knows, it was a boring game though, was hoping for a nail biter, but glad App. won cause I do not want to play Villanova again, and I think App. might have to deal with them for us.

BestOfBreed
October 31st, 2008, 10:43 PM
hey we only went for it once on 4th down and were amazing on third down. I think the real issue here was your 5 turnovers...not us running up the score. You had the ball longer.....ran all over us....400 yards? Are you kidding me. Had you held on to the ball..... could have been a totally different game.

Let's not get carried away xbowx xbowx I guess you are correct though ...closer game does equal different though.

mountaineertider
October 31st, 2008, 10:43 PM
Maybe I was a little touchy in saying that Wofford ran up the score last year, but I was frustrated that App haters have to come out and diminish everything ASU does.

What'd you want us to do, kneel the rest of the game away? De'Andre needs some seasoning before he takes the reigns in 2010, and this was a good time to get it against a good team. Why put him in just to kneel the ball, he needs the live action work.

appstate1998
October 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe I was a little touchy in saying that Wofford ran up the score last year, but I was frustrated that App haters have to come out and diminish everything ASU does.

What'd you want us to do, kneel the rest of the game away? De'Andre needs some seasoning before he takes the reigns in 2010, and this was a good time to get it against a good team. Why put him in just to kneel the ball, he needs the live action work.

Yeah we don't want him pulling an Elder and taking over the team and puking on the field ala NC State game lol

CamelCityAppFan
October 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry, but the "woe is me you big bad boys ran up the score" routine is pile of hot steaming terrier poop.

You are either the #3 ranked team in the NCAA FCS Division, or you are D-III Spartenburg Academy of Cosmotology.

If you are the former, take your lumps, take your loss, and move on.

If you are the latter, take your paycheck, take your loss, and move on.

Either way, it doesn't matter. If you don't want 70 scored on you, then make a tackle.

But from where I stand, when #2 plays #3, there's no such thing as "running up the score".

AshevilleApp
October 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=grizbeer;1184585]

Nice game App - I think it is official you will be the most hated team in all of FCS - QUOTE]

What we weren't already....hated teams usually are winning teams and I'll take that any day.

B&G
October 31st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah we don't want him pulling an Elder and taking over the team and puking on the field ala NC State game lol

xlolx

Reign of Terrier

I'm okay with you winning but enough's enough.

Personally I can't wait until App goes FBS.(please!)

Cranium716
I didn't watch the last quarter and a half (because, let's be honest, there was no reason to). Did the announcers make any "running up the score" comments?

appstate1998
October 31st, 2008, 10:50 PM
I didn't watch the last quarter and a half (because, let's be honest, there was no reason to). Did the announcers make any "running up the score" comments?

they were wondering why some starters were still in on defense

appvette
October 31st, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry, but when you play the #3 team in the nation and already lost a game after a 21 point lead... do you want them to try to see how close we can make it?

ur2k
October 31st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Like I just posted on the Spiders Board. App just showed that the road to Chatty still runs through Boone.

AppIAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:00 PM
if we ran up the score, then wofford did the same against elon.

I am sorry our second team offense is better than your defense (1st or second). It was supposed to be a good game -- most wofford fans thought they would beat us, and most App fans thought it was going to come down to the wire. It was not running the score up... it was simply a better team playing a worse team..

appvette
October 31st, 2008, 11:14 PM
if we ran up the score, then wofford did the same against elon.

I am sorry our second team offense is better than your defense (1st or second). It was supposed to be a good game -- most wofford fans thought they would beat us, and most App fans thought it was going to come down to the wire. It was not running the score up... it was simply a better team playing a worse team..

Enough said...

beauvighn
October 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM
App. did not run up the score. It is our defense's job to make tackles and stop the other team. We didn't do it. Ask no quarters, give no quarters.

gvilleapp
October 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
When was the last time the Apps ran the gaunlet of Furman, GSU and Wofford undefeated????

That would be '06 I guess. What a performance!! Nothing like that since the NC against Delaware.

dungeonjoe
October 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
App. did not run up the score. It is our defense's job to make tackles and stop the other team. We didn't do it. Ask no quarters, give no quarters.

yep. We lost. Be generous in victory and noble in defeat. ASU should be #1.

AppIAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:24 PM

Thanks Joe, but i don't know about number 1.. we did lose to the number 1 team.

However, they have barely beat their ranked opponents where we destroyed number 3..

Definitely will be an interesting week in the poll

appstate1998
October 31st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Dukes get upset tomorrow and drop anyways....

T-Dog
November 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM
Well that was fun. Tons of great costumes. My personal favorite was a guy dressed up like Mugatu from Zoolander who was on the grass bank.

As for me, I was the guy with the scars....:D

asucrutch23
November 1st, 2008, 12:11 AM
Game being replayed right now on ESPN2. It's 14-14.:D

Edge316007
November 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
^ Yep, and for the record, the ESPN guys are saying that the App OFFENSE could hold their own in the Big East or Pac 10, not the entire team.

eaglewraith
November 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM
Man the App-GSU game should have been on ESPN instead. That would have made a much better show ;)

ASU
November 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM
Well that was fun. Tons of great costumes. My personal favorite was a guy dressed up like Mugatu from Zoolander who was on the grass bank.

As for me, I was the guy with the scars....:D

Don't you need to change your Wofford one to 15-10?

neersnbeers
November 1st, 2008, 01:58 AM
Well that was killer!

MSUfan2010
November 1st, 2008, 02:05 AM
All I can say is "Wow".

rcny46
November 1st, 2008, 02:07 AM

I agree with you.They are in a class by themselves when they are at the top of their game.

T-Dog
November 1st, 2008, 02:09 AM
Don't you need to change your Wofford one to 15-10?

xnodx

(updating that thing every week with my memory isn't going to be fun)

Just watched the replay and the espn360.com webcast. The ESPN announcers did a really good job.

I'm still in a bit of a shock of what happened. I predicted 49-42 App and thought after the 1st we were well on out way towards that. Our defense might bend a lot (they did give up 497 yards tonight), but they make big plays when needed which kept Wofford points off the board.

If you look at the stats and not the score, you would never guess the final score that happened. Wofford won the time-of-possession battle 31:37 to 28:23, held the yards battle to 620-497, had 23 first down's to our 27 and rushed for nearly 400 yards against us. Turnovers were the story of the game as we made Wofford pay every time they turned it over.

Now I'll sit back and watch Saturday as everyone else beats each other up. xpopcornx

kirkblitz
November 1st, 2008, 02:35 AM
awesome the game was on espn, it helped spread the fcs!

mountaineer_dax
November 1st, 2008, 03:06 AM
I don't know if any of you saw me there i was the guy dressed up like venom by the marching band. with kevin richardson's jersey on.

AppAlum
November 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM
I wasn't able to catch the game last night but it was covered on Sportscenter this morning. Wofford and App both made the Top 10 Listxthumbsupx

Never seen an FCS game covered on Sportscenter other than the championship.

DLS
November 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM
I wasn't able to catch the game last night but it was covered on Sportscenter this morning. Wofford and App both made the Top 10 Listxthumbsupx

Never seen an FCS game covered on Sportscenter other than the championship.

yea widmeyer made no. 6 with the big throw that was actually should have been out. in the first quarter.

AND, deandre pressley diving into the endzone over defenders.

there were enough plays in that game to fill up the entire list twice.

NC Aggie
November 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
ASU offense cleary on top of their game.

ASU defense a little suspect but as long as they can score like that who cares.

Wofford undersized, slower and less athletic, and got really exposed. There unique style and executation has gotten them as high as they are going to go....sort of like Air Force. Solid running game but need more than that to get to the top

Wofford passing game is terrible....can't come from behind.

IMO Wofford is barely at top 20 team. I don't think they deserve a slot in playoffs after this.

ASU
November 1st, 2008, 09:43 AM
The only thing that I want to see now is a JMU Dukes rematch in Chatty......probably will not happen, but if it does.....wow

AppGrad06
November 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
yea widmeyer made no. 6 with the big throw that was actually should have been out. in the first quarter.

AND, deandre pressley diving into the endzone over defenders.

there were enough plays in that game to fill up the entire list twice.

that was pretty sweet, he basically crowd surfed his way for 5 yards sliding over the tops of the defenders

D1B
November 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
That was a complete ass whompin. A couple thoughts: (sorry if redundant)

Wofford was ill prepared on defense.

Wofford's linebackers are slow and they cant tackle.

App is the fastest team in FCS, hands down.

Wofford's coaches are dumb. They panicked and gave up on their running game. That QB sucks as a passer. The only way to beat App is to keep their offense off the field by controlling the clock.

Woff's coaches are dumb - they should put more people in the box and played more man defense on receivers. They needed to pressure more and make the run more difficult.

No one could have beat App yesterday.

Edge316007
November 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
I don't know if anyone on TV saw it but after Quick's 3rd TD catch (or whichever one he go flagged for) he "chest-bumped" Jerry Moore on the sidelines. I thought that was pretty cool

AppGrad06
November 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM

Wofford undersized, slower and less athletic, and got really exposed. There unique style and executation has gotten them as high as they are going to go....sort of like Air Force. Solid running game but need more than that to get to the top

IMO Wofford is barely at top 20 team. I don't think they deserve a slot in playoffs after this.

I don't think the D was that suspect. Wofford easily has one of, if not the best running games in the country, so you know you are going to give up some yards. However, our D made big plays and stops when needed both against the run and through the air. Wofford came out hot and it was our D that gave them the big chill then our offense just ran away with it.

Yea we allowed 14 points in the first 8 minutes but our D held them to 10 points the remaining 52

asucrutch23
November 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
I don't know if anyone on TV saw it but after Quick's 3rd TD catch (or whichever one he go flagged for) he "chest-bumped" Jerry Moore on the sidelines. I thought that was pretty cool

Haha yeah I saw that. Also heard on the postgame interview with coach Moore that he told Quick he could dunk over the crossbar if he wanted to after he'd done it repeatedly in practice. He told him "just go ahead and do it and run off the field and we'll kick from the 15." xlolx

CSUBUCDAD
November 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM
All I can say is.......damn that Edwards is scary good. xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM

He is also fun to watch!!!xnodx xnodx

asucrutch23
November 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM

Fitting for Halloween night! xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx

james_lawfirm
November 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM

Yep, I saw it. I was sitting right in front of it (row XX). Too cool. If Quick can jump 42", then I'd say Coach Moore can still do about half that.

james_lawfirm
November 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM
Haha yeah I saw that. Also heard on the postgame interview with coach Moore that he told Quick he could dunk over the crossbar if he wanted to after he'd done it repeatedly in practice. He told him "just go ahead and do it and run off the field and we'll kick from the 15." xlolx

I heard the same comment on the post-game radio. However, I took Coach Moore to mean that as a warning. In other words he was saying if you dunk over the goal post, then we'll be kicking off from the 15. I did not understand him to be giving permission to do that.

Apparently, Coach Moore's excitement had more to do with the player than the actual play. My understanding is that Quick has made numerous plays during practice that have gotten everyone's attention. But, he is just now getting to show what he can do during games.

grizband
November 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Two things I noticed from last night's game:

1. Edwards is a better passer than I realized/thought!

2. App State is the Florida of FCS football - they may not be the best team, or win the championship, but their speed rivals, or beats, any team at our level.

Congrats App on a great game last night; Wofford, you're still a great team, and I hope you win out. xthumbsupx

mistersykes
November 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM
A few comments on the game:

What a great game at the rock under the lights! Almost 31,000 screaming fans, and some great costumes. I was a lumberjack. Loved the McCain/Obama/Clinton masks and dancing at the half. The band was great too - Thriller sure got the crowd on their feet.

I wish it was the shootout that it could have been, just because of ESPN. This was really our chance to show the country that its not just App and everyone else, that there are other really good teams in FCS. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the message that viewers got. People think its just App dominating a subdivision that they're too good for, which isn't true. That's the bittersweet part for me.

Armanti, good lord. I hadn't seen him chuck a ball like that before - you know which pass I'm talking about. He can really do everything, and he must be leading in the Payton race now.

As for the rest of the Socon and FCS, watch out. Did you notice what we did yesterday that we haven't done in a while? Caught the ball and did a good job on special teams. Two of our biggest weaknesses now look like they're fixed, or at least better. With Quick and Jorden emerging as go to guys in the passing game, along with Coco and TJ, thats big.

The bend-don't-break defense is back. This is what surprised me most about last night - everything pointed to a shootout, but App's defense stepped up. Crucial forced turnovers (how about LeGree, Banks and Roman last night?), and we made sure they counted.

I don't understand why Woff didn't stick to the run, which was working well. Breitenstein is going to be a star for y'all. Romero was great as well.

All in all, good game Woff. You're still a good team, just don't let up next week. Playoffs are still in sight. For App, I don't see us losing to Chatty in any circumstance, but Elon is still dangerous and Western, we know how that one goes. We're not done yet.

ASU88
November 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
With Quick and Jorden emerging as go to guys in the passing game, along with Coco and TJ, thats big.
You've hit the nail on the head here. This is something we've been lacking this year, and now it seems as the season progresses we've got more and more weapons emerging.

And Legree making plays on the defense makes a big difference as well. We had trouble stoppng teams last season, but if they were on the field long enough some of our playmakers (Lynch!) would make a play that might be the difference. Legree is starting to give that to this team.

I'm feeling better and better about how this season might end. xnodx

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2008, 03:50 PM
DISGUSTING, App throwing home run balls and going for it repeatedly on fourth down even when they lead by over 40.... shame

SE, did you watch the game? We went for it ONCE on 4th down... WTF are you talking about? xconfusedx

james_lawfirm
November 1st, 2008, 05:15 PM
I have been trying to figure out what I think about the game. Still not sure I can put it into words.

All I can say is: WOW!!!

Obviously, the offense was firing on all cylinders. Set up to stop the run & Armanti will pass. Set up for the pass & we'll run. Pick yer poison. Not sure a team can stop both. And boy is B. Quick exciting.

Special teams played the best full game, with no hiccups, yet. I still wish we would kick it into the end zone each time though.

But, to me, the unsung heroes of this game were the defense. Yes, they gave up 2 quick TDs at first. But, whatever adjustments were made, they worked. Wofford looked like a Chinese fire drill in motion. I was really worried about their offense. They had destroyed a very good Elon team. App got an interception, then a 3-&-out. Wofford was forced into passing more & got out of their comfort zone.

To the posters who seem to think the SoCon is weak, you fellers just don't know what you are talking about. The teams are good. App's young but talented team has just put everything together at the right time.

Finally, we have three SoCon games left. We cannot overlook any of the three. Elon of course is the toughest. Assuming we win out, I see no reason why we cannot get a #2 seed.

IF that is what happens, then here's my wish list: 1) I want Montana in Boone for a playoff game. If that occurs, I hope I can successfully invite some Griz fans over to tailgate. The few Griz fans I have met seem like fine folks. 2) I want JMU in Chatty. It's tough to beat the same team twice in a season. 3) Let's serve up some other CAA teams for the other playoffs contestants. Of course, we might not get to do that b/c someone else will have to beat Wofford. I predict the Terriers would give a CAA team fits.

grizband
November 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
I have been trying to figure out what I think about the game. Still not sure I can put it into words.

All I can say is: WOW!!!

Obviously, the offense was firing on all cylinders. Set up to stop the run & Armanti will pass. Set up for the pass & we'll run. Pick yer poison. Not sure a team can stop both. And boy is B. Quick exciting.

Special teams played the best full game, with no hiccups, yet. I still wish we would kick it into the end zone each time though.

But, to me, the unsung heroes of this game were the defense. Yes, they gave up 2 quick TDs at first. But, whatever adjustments were made, they worked. Wofford looked like a Chinese fire drill in motion. I was really worried about their offense. They had destroyed a very good Elon team. App got an interception, then a 3-&-out. Wofford was forced into passing more & got out of their comfort zone.

To the posters who seem to think the SoCon is weak, you fellers just don't know what you are talking about. The teams are good. App's young but talented team has just put everything together at the right time.

Finally, we have three SoCon games left. We cannot overlook any of the three. Elon of course is the toughest. Assuming we win out, I see no reason why we cannot get a #2 seed.

IF that is what happens, then here's my wish list: 1) I want Montana in Boone for a playoff game. If that occurs, I hope I can successfully invite some Griz fans over to tailgate. The few Griz fans I have met seem like fine folks. 2) I want JMU in Chatty. It's tough to beat the same team twice in a season. 3) Let's serve up some other CAA teams for the other playoffs contestants. Of course, we might not get to do that b/c someone else will have to beat Wofford. I predict the Terriers would give a CAA team fits.
I made this point to my girlfriend (I doubt she payed attention, oh well): can you imagine the bidding war if neither App, nor Montana, was a seed, but were scheduled to meet in the playoffs? xeekx

proasu89
November 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Defense wins championships...

Or 70 pointsxsmiley_wix

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2008, 10:09 PM
It's apparent Wofford's the Georgia of FCS and App's the Florida.

proasu89
November 1st, 2008, 10:13 PM
I have a feeling Wofford is going to fall apart and get blown out. xeekx

Credit is given where credit is duexthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM

i think they could beat your team quite handly "NC Aggie" (whoever they are). the truth is that we weren't slower App is the fastest. They shut down the pass which lead to our demise. We played a horrible game and no one should judge us from this game alone. The reason the pass game "couldn't come from behind" was because we don't usually need to come from that far behind and when we do use it it's unexpected.

On a side note don't be such a hater.

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2008, 10:26 PM
That was a complete ass whompin. A couple thoughts: (sorry if redundant)

Wofford was ill prepared on defense.

Wofford's linebackers are slow and they cant tackle.

App is the fastest team in FCS, hands down.

Wofford's coaches are dumb. They panicked and gave up on their running game. That QB sucks as a passer. The only way to beat App is to keep their offense off the field by controlling the clock.

Woff's coaches are dumb - they should put more people in the box and played more man defense on receivers. They needed to pressure more and make the run more difficult.

No one could have beat App yesterday.

A. yes
B. No we played a bad game
c. yes
d, yes and no- our coaches are not dumb and our QB isn't supposed to be a good passer.
E- you have no clue what you're talking about--we don't play man-on-man. we don't get those kinds of players. we play the zone. From what I saw the middle was okay at stopping the run until we totally melted down as a defense. We didn't apply as much pressure because we were afraid Armanti would slip through.

On defense we are very young. we couldn't stand the pressure.

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
The main thing about this game that sucks is that everyone outside of the Socon will say that Wofford really sucks (see above). this will hurt recruiting

OldSouth
November 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM
From a 25 year SoCon'er. Wofford is a great team. Just one game. Hope you get to take out JMU first round.

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2008, 10:53 PM
From a 25 year SoCon'er. Wofford is a great team. Just one game. Hope you get to take out JMU first round.

thank you. quite frankly no on outside of the socon understands how bad wofford played and how great App played. I do think we played worse than app played good

proasu89
November 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
SE, did you watch the game? We went for it ONCE on 4th down... WTF are you talking about? xconfusedx

Please don't confuse him with factsxthumbsupx

Appaholic
November 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Please don't confuse him with factsxthumbsupx

....he'll just delete him like he did a couple of my posts on another othread...guess the truth hurts......

Black and Gold Express
November 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Couple of late thoughts.

First off, all you people claiming ASU was running it up are fools. ASU was doing no such thing. They have a responsibility to not only look at teh present, but look at the future. Most specifically DeAndre. He is not going to get one lick of meaningful game action barring an injury to Armanti this year or next. So what little game action he does get, I am all for him not only learning and running the zone read (and it was a perfect read to keep and go in for the score) but work on the passing game too. All you crybabies whining about running up the score are clueless to what was going on there. Get over it and yourselves. It was the right thing to do. I have never once bitched about running up the score being on either side of a game like that, because I think there is a rare case to be made for it actually happening. Backups kicking another teams backups butts does not qualify.

This is not powder puff football. Wofford has an equal responsibility to try and stop the offense. If they can't, and they couldn't, this is the deserved end result.

Secondly, I was very very impressed with the play of our young defense. They made teh adjustments after the first quarter and were playing very good disciplined football. For the first time all season I think we might be showing a championship caliber defense. Getting towards clicking at the right time as far as the ultimate goal is concerned.

APP91
November 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
DISGUSTING, App throwing home run balls and going for it repeatedly on fourth down even when they lead by over 40.... shame

Ralph, found this post over on the MMB, by APPST89, thought it applied to you:
"I'm glad to see you finally admit that your position is an opinion. You keep claiming it as a fact in your other whining rants. The real fact is that you have a huge case of App envy and you'll take any opportunity to get in a few jabs.

Whenever someone beats ASU by a wide margin, it will be ASU's fault not the opponent's.

By the way, have you gone to South Dakota's board to admonish them for winning 63-0 yesterday, or Maine for their 55-6 win or UMass for winning 49-0 or Davidson for winning 49-0? All of those scores were by wider margins than ASU's win. If you haven't been to each of those boards posting this same crap then you are a first-class hypocrite. But I'm sure you haven't because this has nothing to do with the scores and everything to do with your hatred of ASU. "

Keep on Hatin', and don't let the facts get in your way!

Jerbearasu
November 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Couple of late thoughts.

First off, all you people claiming ASU was running it up are fools. ASU was doing no such thing. They have a responsibility to not only look at teh present, but look at the future. Most specifically DeAndre. He is not going to get one lick of meaningful game action barring an injury to Armanti this year or next. So what little game action he does get, I am all for him not only learning and running the zone read (and it was a perfect read to keep and go in for the score) but work on the passing game too. All you crybabies whining about running up the score are clueless to what was going on there. Get over it and yourselves. It was the right thing to do. I have never once bitched about running up the score being on either side of a game like that, because I think there is a rare case to be made for it actually happening. Backups kicking another teams backups butts does not qualify.

This is not powder puff football. Wofford has an equal responsibility to try and stop the offense. If they can't, and they couldn't, this is the deserved end result.

Secondly, I was very very impressed with the play of our young defense. They made teh adjustments after the first quarter and were playing very good disciplined football. For the first time all season I think we might be showing a championship caliber defense. Getting towards clicking at the right time as far as the ultimate goal is concerned.

I don't necessarily think it was running up the score but the only thing people have complained about is App was still running plays when they could have kneeled on the ball. Some are saying Wofford did it to App last year. That is false; Wofford still needed a first down when their RB busted it up the middle... At that point you don't ask a guy to fall down. If Roman had returned that last fumble for a TD then nobody would be yelling about App running up the score.

Some argue that Pressley needs meaningful time. I agree but he also had meaningful time starting with 12 minutes left in the 4th. The last TD drive after the fumble was not his first action of the game. He has seen game action and will continue to see it over the next year and a half. The last 2 minutes last night would not have disrupted his learning curve one bit.

Last year when App beat Western by something like 79-35 IIRC, JM said after the game that he felt bad that Corey Lynch returned that last interception but he had nobody he could put in the game because of all the injuries. I am sorry find a backup corner to put in there... You have 60+ guys on the sideline that just want to see the field. You should act as if Corey was hurt which in that case you'd have to have someone else in. Even if he is a backup LB he knows how to play the game of football and can at least make it look respectable and if he can't then you need to teach him how. This year Jacques Roman and a few others were still in after the game had been decided. If we need so badly to give reps to our secondary players on offense then don't we need to do the same for the D.

For those of you who are saying you lost all respect for App because of that then you are just as bad as those who are trying to rationalize why App went for it. The offense was not running outlandish plays. They were basic offensive plays. At some point Wofford should have stepped up and just tackled the guys.

JM is still one of the most well-respected coaches in the country. Sometimes games get out of hand but JM and Mike Ayers have known each other for quite some time and I seriously doubt there is any ill-will between the two. Wofford and App State have very proud traditions and when a team punches them in the mouth they take it and learn from it. App took that punch from GSU back in 04 and came back to win 3 straight National Championships...

I don't say App was trying to run up the score... They were running basic offensive plays; at the same time they could have sat on it on their last offensive possession and I doubt people would have even been arguing this.

Black and Gold Express
November 2nd, 2008, 11:54 PM
Ralph, found this post over on the MMB, by APPST89, thought it applied to you:
"I'm glad to see you finally admit that your position is an opinion. You keep claiming it as a fact in your other whining rants. The real fact is that you have a huge case of App envy and you'll take any opportunity to get in a few jabs.

Whenever someone beats ASU by a wide margin, it will be ASU's fault not the opponent's.

By the way, have you gone to South Dakota's board to admonish them for winning 63-0 yesterday, or Maine for their 55-6 win or UMass for winning 49-0 or Davidson for winning 49-0? All of those scores were by wider margins than ASU's win. If you haven't been to each of those boards posting this same crap then you are a first-class hypocrite. But I'm sure you haven't because this has nothing to do with the scores and everything to do with your hatred of ASU. "

Keep on Hatin', and don't let the facts get in your way!

Exhibit... ah heck we've lost track there's so many... of how Ralphie continues to embarrass himself and the I-AA brand routinely with his antics.

It must have killed him to see ASU tear Wofford a new one on national TV, furthering in the general public's minds that we are the alpha and omega of I-AA football right now. His hatred of ASU is only overshadowed by his pathetic attempts to cover it up.

His misery is a nice by-product of this successful run we've had. Here's hoping that it doesn't stop anytime soon. xthumbsupx xnodx xlolx

B&G
November 3rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
If that had been Webber International, then I'd agree it would be running up the score. But it was the #3 team in the FCS who had just beaten ASU last year. They're not exactly defenseless so in this case I have to disagree about running up the score. I think a lot of it was about developing that killer instinct to put your foot on the opponent's throat and not let them back into the game as they did against JMU.

ASUMountaineer
November 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
I don't necessarily think it was running up the score but the only thing people have complained about is App was still running plays when they could have kneeled on the ball. Some are saying Wofford did it to App last year. That is false; Wofford still needed a first down when their RB busted it up the middle... At that point you don't ask a guy to fall down. If Roman had returned that last fumble for a TD then nobody would be yelling about App running up the score.

Some argue that Pressley needs meaningful time. I agree but he also had meaningful time starting with 12 minutes left in the 4th. The last TD drive after the fumble was not his first action of the game. He has seen game action and will continue to see it over the next year and a half. The last 2 minutes last night would not have disrupted his learning curve one bit.

Last year when App beat Western by something like 79-35 IIRC, JM said after the game that he felt bad that Corey Lynch returned that last interception but he had nobody he could put in the game because of all the injuries. I am sorry find a backup corner to put in there... You have 60+ guys on the sideline that just want to see the field. You should act as if Corey was hurt which in that case you'd have to have someone else in. Even if he is a backup LB he knows how to play the game of football and can at least make it look respectable and if he can't then you need to teach him how. This year Jacques Roman and a few others were still in after the game had been decided. If we need so badly to give reps to our secondary players on offense then don't we need to do the same for the D.

For those of you who are saying you lost all respect for App because of that then you are just as bad as those who are trying to rationalize why App went for it. The offense was not running outlandish plays. They were basic offensive plays. At some point Wofford should have stepped up and just tackled the guys.

JM is still one of the most well-respected coaches in the country. Sometimes games get out of hand but JM and Mike Ayers have known each other for quite some time and I seriously doubt there is any ill-will between the two. Wofford and App State have very proud traditions and when a team punches them in the mouth they take it and learn from it. App took that punch from GSU back in 04 and came back to win 3 straight National Championships...

I don't say App was trying to run up the score... They were running basic offensive plays; at the same time they could have sat on it on their last offensive possession and I doubt people would have even been arguing this.

You must have missed the West Carolina game. JM played every guy on the sideline (except the Neil Young - punter) in last year's game. Do you have App guilt?

I haven't posted in this thread (mainly cause I got home from Boone late last night). I have read most of the thread and this is such a ridiculous argument.

Either Wofford is the #3 team in the nation playing Division I football, or it is a weak team that is on the level of Savannah State? Which is it? Don't want us to score on you, man up and play D. Can't do that, man up and take your licks.

This is ridiculous and a direct result of our parents making sure little Tommy gets a trophy even though he and his teams sucks. Does WoCo want a trophy just for playing?

There were many WoCo fans on here leading up to the game (and non-WoCo fans) saying Wofford was going to march in to Boone and leave with a big W. Some said it wouldn't be close. App wins big, shows them up, and now they (ASU) are mean people who embarrassed poor, little WoCo. Give me a break.

I would like to know if the people bashing ASU for the score (as mentioned above) are saying the same things to other teams with blowouts? I haven't seen it. Did I whine a few years ago when GSU beat App 56-7? No. If you're going to play Division I football, play like it.

If ASU is going to take a knee to play defense against itself (as apparently WoCo wasn't) then I would expect WoCo to do the same. If we can't play offense and try not to score because WoCo has conceded the game, they should do the same. If they would continue to try to score, so should ASU (this logic works for any team).

End of rant.

Rekdiver
November 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
FIVE TURNOVERS....FIVE TURNOVERS!!! Wofford made the mistakes that led to ASU scores. Over 400 yards of offense and 360+ on the ground, with most of that in 3 quarters. Wofford has a powerful offense but you can't overcome turnovers like that.

The ovservation I make(Eric Breitenstein performance as the exception)was that it appeared Wofford gave up midway in the 3rd Quarter.

I remember a high school soccer game where the coach got cussed out by a mother of an opposing player for continuing to avoid scoring the score was 9-0 which is about like 70 to something. Said it was insulting to the team. If we had taunted Wofford in any way I would feel bad about the 70 points but quite frankly this was a statement game and a "coming of age" game for the ASU team and a lot of pent up frustration over spotty performance PLUS a fair amount of Terrier smack talk.

NOW we have to pay attention to Chatty and Elon and WCU. We still have to play with the same level of intensity all three of these. Elon especially is capable of wearing us out and Western put a bunch on the board against GSU before losing in OT.

IF we continue with this intensity the rest of the regular season, #4 is within reach. I want another piece of JMU.

Stang Fever
November 3rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Couple of things suprised me watching this game.

1) How good the Offense of ASU is - Edwards really has total command of that offense.
2) Wofford - It ws my first time ever seeing them play. And I just couldnt get over that there whole team (Starting offense and Defense) was basically all white?? Of course nothing wrong with that. But in this day and age where every team is heavily mixed, it seemed liek Wofford didnt get that memo.
3) I thought to myslef??? If ASU wins another National title could Edwards be the only play in NCAA history to not only win Three National Titles but 4!!!!

Appaholic
November 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
3) I thought to myslef??? If ASU wins another National title could Edwards be the only play in NCAA history to not only win Three National Titles but 4!!!!

We can only hope and pray, Stang Fever, hope and pray....xsmiley_wix

HiHiYikas
November 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM

It would only be 3 for Edwards if ASU wins this year.

Another memo that doesn't seem to have circulated very heavily is that Richie Williams, another Payton-candidate dual-threat QB, was ASU's signal-caller in 2005 (he's now a CFL QB). And a better-than-a-lot-of-starters backup, Trey Elder was outstanding in the gaps (he's now an ASU coach).

(On second thought, maybe your post is projecting into the 2009 season. I couldn't quite tell at first reading.)

Stang Fever
November 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
LOL!!! well I for one hope that it doenst happen ;-)

appmaj
November 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Watched it in Las Vegas @ the Sports Book in MGM...Lots of people enjoying the ASU offense

ASUMountaineer
November 3rd, 2008, 11:44 AM

1) How good the Offense of ASU is - Edwards really has total command of that offense.
2) Wofford - It ws my first time ever seeing them play. And I just couldnt get over that there whole team (Starting offense and Defense) was basically all white?? Of course nothing wrong with that. But in this day and age where every team is heavily mixed, it seemed liek Wofford didnt get that memo.

He has two so far. If we win this year Pierre Banks (starting LB) will have his fourth. There may be others not on the top of my head.

ASUdrummer
November 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
You must have missed the West Carolina game. JM played every guy on the sideline (except the Neil Young - punter) in last year's game. Do you have App guilt?

I haven't posted in this thread (mainly cause I got home from Boone late last night). I have read most of the thread and this is such a ridiculous argument.

Either Wofford is the #3 team in the nation playing Division I football, or it is a weak team that is on the level of Savannah State? Which is it? Don't want us to score on you, man up and play D. Can't do that, man up and take your licks.

This is ridiculous and a direct result of our parents making sure little Tommy gets a trophy even though he and his teams sucks. Does WoCo want a trophy just for playing?

There were many WoCo fans on here leading up to the game (and non-WoCo fans) saying Wofford was going to march in to Boone and leave with a big W. Some said it wouldn't be close. App wins big, shows them up, and now they (ASU) are mean people who embarrassed poor, little WoCo. Give me a break.

I would like to know if the people bashing ASU for the score (as mentioned above) are saying the same things to other teams with blowouts? I haven't seen it. Did I whine a few years ago when GSU beat App 56-7? No. If you're going to play Division I football, play like it.

If ASU is going to take a knee to play defense against itself (as apparently WoCo wasn't) then I would expect WoCo to do the same. If we can't play offense and try not to score because WoCo has conceded the game, they should do the same. If they would continue to try to score, so should ASU (this logic works for any team).

End of rant.

...amen

james_lawfirm
November 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
This is ridiculous and a direct result of our parents making sure little Tommy gets a trophy even though he and his teams sucks.

Tell it, tell it, tell it, tell it. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. And, Amen.

Jerbearasu
November 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM

End of rant.

App guilt? I am an App fan. Not once in my post did I say App ran up the score. I did see the game against WCU last year and also distinctly remember Corey picking off a pass with a little over 4 minutes left in the game when the score was 72-35... Why was Corey in that game? There was no reason for any starter to be even thinking about seeing the field at that point in the ball game especially Corey Lynch (Citadel of 04 should have cured that mistake).

I also remember distinctly the game against GSU that you referred to and yes it was a shellacking. But GSU's last touchdown was on a punt return with 12 minutes left in the game. When App got the first down on their last TD drive they could have sat on it to end the game. I never suggested kneeling on it with 12 minutes to go in the 4th because yes that would be insulting.

How is anything that I said in this post or my prior post anything but reasonable? In the first post I even mentioned that Wofford did not show up on D and App can't be blamed for that. But in a game like that at the end you bow out and go fight next week instead of risking injury to any of your players.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM

from the top of mu head non-whites in the 2-deep: Ameet Pall, Seth Goldwire, Buck Brown, Mycheal Johnson, 2 corners who's names escape me, Jeremy Marshall, Buck Brown. 8 of 44. Your right not very "mixed" Wofford is a hard school to get in and there is not a lot of people who get in let alone play football which makes our team even more remarkable. This isn't just a white black thing it's an everyone thing

ASU88
November 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
from Your right not very "mixed" Wofford is a hard school to get in and there is not a lot of people who get in let alone play football which makes our team even more remarkable.

Ohhhhhhhhh .... pretty close to a foul there. Beware the PC Police. xlolx

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh .... pretty close to a foul there. Beware the PC Police. xlolx

You need like 1200 SAT to get in. I'm not ripping anyone else down I'm just stating the facts. the facts say you need to be smart to go to Wofford.

ASU88
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
You need like 1200 SAT to get in. I'm not ripping anyone else down I'm just stating the facts. the facts say you need to be smart to go to Wofford.
I gotcha, but ... y'know ... just sayin' some might read that and think ... foul!

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
fixed it.

ASU88
November 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
fixed it.
xlolx xthumbsupx