PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Bank Bowl - Washington DC

89Hen
October 28th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I didn't realize that DC was hosting a bowl game this year. xeyebrowx I saw one early bowl projection that had UVA and Navy in the game... that would be a sure fire sellout. I may have to get tickets now. If I only knew somebody at Eagle Bank. xwhistlex

http://www.eaglebankbowl.org/

brownbear
October 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I thought it was going to be the "Congressional Bowl."

What is EagleBank?

bandl
October 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM

What is EagleBank?

Ditto..I've never heard of Eagle Bank xconfusedx

89Hen
October 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM

What is EagleBank?

Ditto..I've never heard of Eagle Bank xconfusedx
Local bank. bandl, they're mostly in Montgomery County. They had a branch at my little shopping center (may have been one of the first branches) but they closed it. This does seem like an awfully big event for them to be sponsoring.

http://www.eaglebankmd.com/index.php?page=locations

andy7171
October 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Why would a small local bank like Eagle throw a bowl game? I thought it was the Congressional Bowl too. As a member I thought you would have known. xlolx

AshevilleApp2
October 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Just what we need. Another Bowl game.

jstate83
October 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Just what we need. Another Bowl game.

..................Another bowl game between 6-5 teams.xnonono2x
6 and damm 5!! xsmhx

6-5 should get you a trip to "Wait til next year".
Who is going to see 2 team's that were not good in the regular season play in a bowl game except the team member's parent's. xsmhx

89Hen
October 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
6 and damm 5!! xsmhx

Who is going to see 2 team's that were not good in the regular season play in a bowl game except the team member's parent's. xsmhx
Not picking on you, but why would you care if two 6-5 teams went to a bowl? Are bowls really any different than classics? They do give out a trophy for the bowl winners, but it's not like it advance them to more post-season action. It's just a fun event to end the year. If this bowl ends up with Navy and UVA, it will be sold out. xpeacex

Marcus Garvey
October 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM
6 and damm 5!! xsmhx

Hate to rain on your (100% justified) tirade, but it will most likely match up a couple of 6-6 teams! 12 games in I-A these days.

Also, does anyone really think it will be the "Eagle Bank Bowl" by the time it's played?
I'm betting on the "Chase/Citi/BankOfAmeria/WellsFargo/PNC Bowl"

89Hen
October 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Also, does anyone really think it will be the "Eagle Bank Bowl" by the time it's played?
xlolx xnodx

jstate83
October 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Not picking on you, but why would you care if two 6-5 teams went to a bowl? Are bowls really any different than classics? They do give out a trophy for the bowl winners, but it's not like it advance them to more post-season action. It's just a fun event to end the year. If this bowl ends up with Navy and UVA, it will be sold out. xpeacex

I'll humor you even though the HBCU world has not a thing to do with this.xsmhx

Bowl games are for team's that stood out during the year and acheived great things.
Classic's are regular season FOOTBALL Games that have been packaged as a weekend event between the 2 schools.

Nobody is inviting a 6-5 HBCU to split a couple million dollars to play in front of a empty stadium.xnonono2x

Bowl games used to be special.
Now bowl games are like BOXING CHAMPIONSHIPS.
Just like the bowl's, Boxing Championship's are a dime a dozen with 97% of them being meaningless.

What's hard about making a bowl game these day's.
Team's can "cupcake" their way to 6-5.
THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT 6-5 TO WARRENT A BOWL INVITATION.

This is just more of the garbage that kid's are taught about sport's today.
EVERYBODY GET'S TO PLAY, EVERYBODY GET'S A STAR, AND EVERYBODY GET'S A TROPHY.
I'll bet you this game won't draw close to 30,000.xsmhx

jstate83
October 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Hate to rain on your (100% justified) tirade, but it will most likely match up a couple of 6-6 teams! 12 games in I-A these days.

That's even sadder. xnonono2x

I'm sorry but my feeling is this.

If you are going to jump your arse up to the big league's to play against the big boy's with $100,000,000 budget's, then you better win more games to go to a bowl.

NO TEAM with less than a 8-3 record should be invited anywhere.

Go...gate
October 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM

I'm betting on the "Chase/Citicorp/BankOfAmerica/WellsFargo/PNCBank/FannieMae/FreddieMac/Barney Frank/I Need Capital Bowl"

Wanted to show a few more of the players in Wall Street's game of "pin the tail on the donkey". xrotatehx

andy7171
October 29th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Bowl games are for team's that stood out during the year and acheived great things.
Classic's are regular season FOOTBALL Games that have been packaged as a weekend event between the 2 schools.

Nobody is inviting a 6-5 HBCU to split a couple million dollars to play in front of a empty stadium.xnonono2x

Just like the bowl's, Boxing Championship's are a dime a dozen with 97% of them being meaningless.

I agree with you about the lamness that bowl games have become. There are WAY too many of them, and no one watches the first 10-12 of them anyway. What's the point?

However I disagree with you saying a Navy-UVa match up will only draw 30,000.

FedEx is only 20 minutes from Annapolis. They average over 30K at their place. Then add UVa fans on the other side of the Potomac. Hell even I'd come down from Baltimore to see that game.

bandl
October 29th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I agree with you about the lamness that bowl games have become. There are WAY too many of them, and no one watches the first 10-12 of them anyway. What's the point?

However I disagree with you saying a Navy-UVa match up will only draw 30,000.

FedEx is only 20 minutes from Annapolis. They average over 30K at their place. Then add UVa fans on the other side of the Potomac. Hell even I'd come down from Baltimore to see that game.

Even I would go to this game just to see those d!ckwads from UVA cry after they lose xnodx

93henfan
October 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM
The active duty, alum, and retired Navy population is just enormous in MD/DC. And UVA is only a couple hours away. Quick sellout if those are the two teams.

tribe_pride
October 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
If this winds up being a Navy-UVA matchup, I see the teams being
Navy 8-4 (currently 5-3 with Temple, ND, Northern Illinois and Army to go) and
UVA 7-5 at worst (maybe 8-4) (currently 5-3 with Miami, at Wake, Clemson and at VT coming up)

So there will be a lot worse matchups than this one. By the way, I looked and saw that Navy is automatically in this bowl. What's with that?

andy7171
October 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM
If this winds up being a Navy-UVA matchup, I see the teams being
Navy 8-4 (currently 5-3 with Temple, ND, Northern Illinois and Army to go) and
UVA 7-5 at worst (maybe 8-4) (currently 5-3 with Miami, at Wake, Clemson and at VT coming up)

So there will be a lot worse matchups than this one. By the way, I looked and saw that Navy is automatically in this bowl. What's with that?

Doesnt Hawaii automatically get into the Honolulu Bowl, unless they are BCS eligible like last year? Doesn't Boise State play in the Blue Turf Bowl, with the same exception?

For the lower tier bowl games, it makes sense to lock in the local team, if they are elligible, for a guarenteed ticket sale percentage.

Plus like 93henfan said, Navy's presence in Maryland and DC is immense.

813Jag
October 29th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I hate to rain on everybody's 6-6 team parade, but only 7 teams made bowls at 6-6. Actually 7-5 seems to be the mediocrity record. xlolx

tribe_pride
October 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Doesnt Hawaii automatically get into the Honolulu Bowl, unless they are BCS eligible like last year? Doesn't Boise State play in the Blue Turf Bowl, with the same exception?

For the lower tier bowl games, it makes sense to lock in the local team, if they are elligible, for a guarenteed ticket sale percentage.

Plus like 93henfan said, Navy's presence in Maryland and DC is immense.

Agreed that Navy playing in this game will help big time as could either UVA or UMD (ACC has the 2nd Spot in this bowl). The alums of these schools will hate that their football team will play in the first bowl but will love that it is this close.

That said, no other team has a specific bowl it is assigned according to ESPN. ND has a couple it can be slotted into (matching up with the Big East in the Gator and Sun Bowls) but no others are. Understand your point about the lower tier bowls though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowlprojection?season=2008&week=9.

89Hen
October 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM

I didn't say it had anything to do with the HBCU world, I was just using classics as a comparison. There have always been bowls that are meaningless, there's just more of them now. Do you think the Sun Bowl (which I remember watching as a kid) had more meaning in 1975 when #15 Pitt (7-4) beat unranked Kansas (7-4) than it does today just because there were fewer bowls?

Bowls are really only meaningful to the two participants and their fans. To everyone else, it's just another game. The only bowl that has any "meaning" to the nation is the bowl used as the NC game. This is why I compared it to a classic. The only people interested in most of those are fans of the two schools involved with a few locals thrown in.

I went to the Continental Tire Bowl in it's first year. It was UVA vs WVU. Did you care about that game? Probably not, but 73,000 people packed the Panthers stadium in Charlotte and had a fantastic time.

I guess what I'm saying is why the heck should anyone care if there are too many bowls. EVERY bowl outside of one is "meaningless" to the general public. xpeacex

89Hen
October 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
The alums of these schools will hate that their football team will play in the first bowl but will love that it is this close.
Like I said above, UVA played in the first Tire Bowl and it was the most fans they've ever taken to a bowl. xpeacex

tribe_pride
October 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Like I said above, UVA played in the first Tire Bowl and it was the most fans they've ever taken to a bowl. xpeacex

Kind of confused if you think that I am disagreeing with you but I am not. The thing I meant about hating being the first bowl is, in general, fans of BCS teams are embarassed to see their team play abowl game before Christmas because it's not good enough for them.

That said, the fans will flock if UVA or UMD makes it because they all live right around DC.

813Jag
October 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I didn't say it had anything to do with the HBCU world, I was just using classics as a comparison. There have always been bowls that are meaningless, there's just more of them now. Do you think the Sun Bowl (which I remember watching as a kid) had more meaning in 1975 when #15 Pitt (7-4) beat unranked Kansas (7-4) than it does today just because there were fewer bowls?

Bowls are really only meaningful to the two participants and their fans. To everyone else, it's just another game. The only bowl that has any "meaning" to the nation is the bowl used as the NC game. This is why I compared it to a classic. The only people interested in most of those are fans of the two schools involved with a few locals thrown in.

I went to the Continental Tire Bowl in it's first year. It was UVA vs WVU. Did you care about that game? Probably not, but 73,000 people packed the Panthers stadium in Charlotte and had a fantastic time.

I guess what I'm saying is why the heck should anyone care if there are too many bowls. EVERY bowl outside of one is "meaningless" to the general public. xpeacex
I agree with the premise, but couldn't that be said about most games. I don't like to use "meaningless" because almost every game is "meaningless" to lots of sports fans.

89Hen
October 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Kind of confused if you think that I am disagreeing with you but I am not. The thing I meant about hating being the first bowl is, in general, fans of BCS teams are embarassed to see their team play abowl game before Christmas because it's not good enough for them.

That said, the fans will flock if UVA or UMD makes it because they all live right around DC.
Yes, I was confused. I thought you meant inaugural bowl, not first of the season. I agree that first bowl is not the greatest, but it sure as hell beats going to damn Boise, Idaho to play on blue turf. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
October 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I agree with the premise, but couldn't that be said about most games. I don't like to use "meaningless" because almost every game is "meaningless" to lots of sports fans.
Yes. Every game is meaningless so somebody, but what I think I and others mean when they say that is that it is meaningless to a majority of sports fans. xpeacex