PDA

View Full Version : A little bummed????

89Hen
October 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Had the strangest feeling this morning. Was thinking about the potential Phillies WS championship and actually started feeling a little bummed. xconfusedx xeyebrowx I think it's two things. One, Philly fans have kind of embraced the whole losing (longest championship drought for a four sport city) thing. It would feel really strange to not have that to complain about. Keep in mind that a Phillies WS for me, while still great, is #4 in my ranking behind the Hens, Eagles and Flyers. So while I will certainly take a WS... I really want a SB and another Cup more.

And two, look what happened with Red Sox fans. xoopsx Sorry Travis, everyone outside of NYC was pulling for the Sox to win that first WS, but now pretty much everyone outside of Beantown despises Sox fans more than the Yankees. They're like cockroaches that have crawled out of the woodwork. I can't go anywhere now without seeing Sox crap everywhere. I know that we won't see nearly the same reaction from closet Phillies fans (not even sure if there are any), but I'm afraid people will start hating Philly even more. :p

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM
First of all, don't worry, we're gonna keep losing even if the Phils defy history and win this thing. This is still Philly, we lose all the time. One WS title isn't going to change that - it didn't change it the first time we won either. We still have the Eagles with Reid coaching, a Flyers team that can never seem to get over the hump, and a Sixers team that is only now starting to see a glimmer of hope after so many bad years - we'll have plenty of losses ahead of us (and the Hens still need to find a QB so we're not so hot on that end either).

And second, it's almost a national reaction to just hate Philly anyway, hence why you always hear the rote diatribes that we booed Santa, and boo everything, and cheered a crippled Michael Irvin (never saw anything wrong about that btw), and we hate everybody and hate our own players maybe the most. You can tell when someone either doesn't know a thing about Philly or that they're just mailing in an argument when they go down that road. The negative part of Philly isn't any different than what you see in any city in America, especially the Northeast part of it. And the positive part, that most people outside of Philly almost never see, is the joy and exhiliration this town gets when it finally does win. There's no better city in America to win than in Philly, it just rarely gets a chance to show that. xthumbsupx

Rob Iola
October 27th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Dude, post this AFTER the Phils win...

89Hen
October 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM
First of all, don't worry, we're gonna keep losing even if the Phils defy history and win this thing.

And second, it's almost a national reaction to just hate Philly anyway
But there's the problem. Now when we lose year after year, we won't have the solace of knowing it's like that every single year. We lose the title of longest losers. Also, I don't mind being hated because the fans are perceived as evil maniacs, but I would mind being hated as annoying like the Sawks fans.

andy7171
October 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I don't think there will be anywhere near the bandwagon effect that the Red Socks have. Boston was the lovable loser for 86 years. A lot of the band wagoners jumped on when the NY Boston rivalry got over hyped prior to the Boston WS. More people rooted against NY than for the Socks. Then they won, and that bandwagon stayed on board. Now Boston fans are hated like the Yankees fans were.

Phillies got none of that going on. It'll be a nice return to normalcy.

89Hen
October 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
You know, now that I think about it... maybe it's not winning one that makes it unbareable for others... it could be winning it again. Look at the Rangers. I always have hated them, but didn't hate them anymore after 1994 because they went right back to sucking my undercarriage.

And on the Sawks... they did have perhaps one of the top 10 funniest videos of all time after that first WS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJ-8R4ghXU&feature=related

and then it became the most annoying of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_2PlQrL28&feature=related

ursus arctos horribilis
October 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Dude, post this AFTER the Phils win...

That's why I wonder if 89 is really a fan. Most Phillies fans are so jinx sensitive that they would not put an avatar supporting the team. he just don't care about no stinkin' jinxin'.

putter
October 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yes, but the Sox can't really talk about Buckner anymore and, if the Phils win, Mitch Williams will be safe to show his face again. Forces fans to move on to different topics. :)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, but the Sox can't really talk about Buckner anymore and, if the Phils win, Mitch Williams will be safe to show his face again. Forces fans to move on to different topics. :)

Mitch Williams is already safe. In fact he's actually become a beloved person in Philly despite the Carter HR. Most Philly fans don't blame the Wild Thing for what happened. Mitch is on a sports radio show and does Philly Post Game Live for the local comcast channel.

93henfan
October 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM

You're obviously not from around here. Mitch Williams has long been forgiven and has been cheered at Citizen's BanK Park. He lives in suburban-Philly, is an occassional co-morning host on WIP and does post-game analysis on Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia.

93henfan
October 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hah. Lehigh TU beat me to it! At least we think the same.xthumbsupx

LacesOut
October 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'd much rather have the Eagles win a SB before any other Philly teams win a championship.

I really don't care at all about the Phillies/Sixers/Flyers. But if they do win a championship, well that's great for their organizations/players/fans, etc. A deserved reward for all of their hard work.

It just does nothing for me personally.

Philly Phoenix Phan
October 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hell No!!! Bummed?!? Im gonna be runnin drunk and naked through the streets. This is the pinnacle of my existence. Im scaling Billy Penn and partying atop his hat. I can see my future discussions now:

(to my first born son who just won the heisman trophy): "Joe Blanton, this is the second happiest day of my life. Next to the Game 5 clincher."

And yes, I will name my kid Joseph Matthew Blanton.*

*God willing, knock on wood we win this thing.

93henfan
October 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Hell No!!! Bummed?!? Im gonna be runnin drunk and naked through the streets. This is the pinnacle of my existence. Im scaling Billy Penn and partying atop his hat. I can see my future discussions now:

(to my first born son who just won the heisman trophy): "Joe Blanton, this is the second happiest day of my life. Next to the Game 5 clincher."

And yes, I will name my kid Joseph Matthew Blanton.*

*God willing, knock on wood we win this thing.

And my third son will be named Matt Stairs.xthumbsupx

GannonFan
October 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM

As others have said, Mitch has been a beloved figure in Philly now for years - that's one of the real big differences between Philly and Boston - I'm not sure Buckner is even allowed back in the New England area, let alone his kids (and heck, Buckner didn't even have anything to do with the lead being lost - that was Stanley (I think?) and Gedman before him).

Besides, any true Philly fan will tell you that putting Mitch in wasn't what lost Game 6 in the '93 series - it was taking out Roger Mason in the 8th after he pitched a perfect 7th inning. Larry Anderson comes in, struggles, turns the lineup over, and Mitch faces the heart of the lineup in the 9th rather than the bottom of it. If Fregosi had kept Mason in, history could have been very different. xsmhx

Marcus Garvey
October 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Mitch Williams is already safe. In fact he's actually become a beloved person in Philly despite the Carter HR. Most Philly fans don't blame the Wild Thing for what happened. Mitch is on a sports radio show and does Philly Post Game Live for the local comcast channel.

Oh hell yeah! I never blamed Williams for that Game 6 fiasco. That was squarely on Fregosi. He had no business putting Williams in there after the guy had blown a couple of saves and that 5 run 8th inning lead in Game 4 (yeah, I know he was only "charged" for 3 of those runs, but a closer isn't supposed to allow any runs to cross the plate!).
Ironically, I think Curt Schilling has become the most despised member of the '93 Phillies despite playing arguably the best among all the team members.

In 2000, when he was traded to the Diamondbacks for a used razor and a half-eaten packet of pop-rocks, my D'back fan co-workers were asking me about him. "Million Dollar arm, 10 cent brain" was my response.

Philly Phoenix Phan
October 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
As others have said, Mitch has been a beloved figure in Philly now for years - that's one of the real big differences between Philly and Boston - I'm not sure Buckner is even allowed back in the New England area, let alone his kids (and heck, Buckner didn't even have anything to do with the lead being lost - that was Stanley (I think?) and Gedman before him).

Besides, any true Philly fan will tell you that putting Mitch in wasn't what lost Game 6 in the '93 series - it was taking out Roger Mason in the 8th after he pitched a perfect 7th inning. Larry Anderson comes in, struggles, turns the lineup over, and Mitch faces the heart of the lineup in the 9th rather than the bottom of it. If Fregosi had kept Mason in, history could have been very different. xsmhx

And what really lost the Series was that colossal epic choke job in Game 4. Up 14-9 in the 7th only to piss it away. Worst night of my life (until Game 6). The view of that collapse from the 700 level was the worst sight those young eyes had ever seen.

foghorn
October 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM
The Phillies are the only Philadelphia team I care about. Don't like the Eagles at all, but now I just love the Ravens. Professional basketball and hockey are extremely boring to me. Rather watch 'field turf' grow. :D
GO PHILS!

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
You know, now that I think about it... maybe it's not winning one that makes it unbareable for others... it could be winning it again. Look at the Rangers. I always have hated them, but didn't hate them anymore after 1994 because they went right back to sucking my undercarriage.

And on the Sawks... they did have perhaps one of the top 10 funniest videos of all time after that first WS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJ-8R4ghXU&feature=related

and then it became the most annoying of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_2PlQrL28&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4tTQVjHUI

putter
October 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
You're obviously not from around here. Mitch Williams has long been forgiven and has been cheered at Citizen's BanK Park. He lives in suburban-Philly, is an occassional co-morning host on WIP and does post-game analysis on Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia.

What part of living in Montana gave you the idea that I wasn't from around eastern PA??? :) Also, notice the smily.....I was trying to make a tongue and cheek comment about letting old memories die but I guess I tried it with the wrong crowd. xoopsx

UNHWildCats
October 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W12h9gNxdpo&feature=related

89Hen
October 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM
That's why I wonder if 89 is really a fan. Most Phillies fans are so jinx sensitive that they would not put an avatar supporting the team. he just don't care about no stinkin' jinxin'.
Nah, I've always changed my avatar for the I-AA playoffs, so this was OK. xpeacex