PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather host/play.....

DB_Atlantic10
November 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM
If by some miracle, JMU were to make the play-offs with a 7-4 record....and Coastal gets in with a 10-1 and of course Hampton who is already in with a possible 11-0 record were your choices to play 1st round.....who would you rather play and in what order?

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 12:03 PM
If by some miracle, JMU were to make the play-offs with a 7-4 record....and Coastal gets in with a 10-1 and of course Hampton who is already in with a possible 11-0 record were your choices to play 1st round.....who would you rather play and in what order?

Why pose a question when the first sentence is illogical? Just to prove a point that you think JMU is better than those teams?

Between Hampton and Coastal, it's simple. You'd play Coastal at home and Hampton on the road, so it's a no-brainer to play Coastal.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM

JMU is already eliminated from the playoffs since they can't meet the 7 1-A or 1-AA win requirement. That game against D2 Lock Haven really might come back and haunt ya guys in a season with so much parity.

AppGuy04
November 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM
This wasn't obvious........

but to answer the question, I'd rather have Coastal for 2 reasons:
1)show them last time was no fluke
2)start a hopefully very good rivalry

DB_Atlantic10
November 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Why pose a question when the first sentence is illogical? Just to prove a point that you think JMU is better than those teams?

Between Hampton and Coastal, it's simple. You'd play Coastal at home and Hampton on the road, so it's a no-brainer to play Coastal.

Did you hear the chant after the W&M/JMU game from the JMU students "Go and Study".....?

Case in point....of the 26 National Championship teams since 1978,

G.Southern, Youngstown St., E. Kentucky, Montana and Marshall owns 16 of them. The remaining 10 go to Fl.AM, Boise St., Idaho St., S.Illinois, La-Monroe, Furman, UMass, W.Kentucky, UDel and finally JMU. Of those 11, 5 no longer remain in I-AA. Of the remaining 120 I-AA programs, only 10 can claim a championship. So why would it be so illogical that if a 7-4 team, with 6 D-I wins were to make it, if they were the defending National Champtions? Only one team per year can claim those credentials, and this year, unfortunately for some, is JMU.

DB_Atlantic10
November 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
JMU is already eliminated from the playoffs since they can't meet the 7 1-A or 1-AA win requirement. That game against D2 Lock Haven really might come back and haunt ya guys in a season with so much parity.

Unfortunately for some, the committe does not read these boards and every year, there is someone crying about they should have made it. This is no different than the NCAA 64 field basketball tournament, they have guidelines to select, but it's their sole discretion to pick who they feel will make up the "best" field regardless. So JMU has a D-II win, does that mean they can't compete in the play-offs? That's what the committee is more concerned about than shear numbers. The Committee will look at history, fan support and also pay-out. They will more than likely, exhaust all bid-conferences first and then go to non-bid conferences. This is no place for public opinion... I don't think many teams out there would want to host JMU in the first round 6 D-1 wins or not.... Would you?

Jaques
November 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM

What...is this some sort of setup? have you not read the other posts? You haven't read what the experts (App fans) are saying?

EEVVEERRYYbody wants to play Coastal in the first round because we SUCK :rolleyes: and EEVVEERRYYbody can beat us. It is a no brainer. :cool:

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Unfortunately for some, the committe does not read these boards and every year, there is someone crying about they should have made it. This is no different than the NCAA 64 field basketball tournament, they have guidelines to select, but it's their sole discretion to pick who they feel will make up the "best" field regardless. So JMU has a D-II win, does that mean they can't compete in the play-offs? That's what the committee is more concerned about than shear numbers. The Committee will look at history, fan support and also pay-out. They will more than likely, exhaust all bid-conferences first and then go to non-bid conferences. This is no place for public opinion... I don't think many teams out there would want to host JMU in the first round 6 D-1 wins or not.... Would you?

If the committee did go this route, JMU would be in a group that could include EWU, Montana State, WKU, UNI and possibly others. Considering that every other team would have at least one quality win to point to, why would JMU get the nod?

bandl
November 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=DB_Atlantic10]

If the committee did go this route, JMU would be in a group that could include EWU, Montana State, WKU, UNI and possibly others. Considering that every other team would have at least one quality win to point to, why would JMU get the nod?

They won't....it's just a hypothetical question! Play along!

But...wouldn't it be funny if there was some rule stating that defending national champs don't have to fulfill the 7 I-AA win criteria the following year?? That would definitely throw some wrenches in the playoff bracketology! Won't happen, I know, they don't have enough quality wins, but it is sorta funny to think about.

Hamptongal
November 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=TypicalTribe]

They won't....it's just a hypothetical question! Play along!

But...wouldn't it be funny if there was some rule stating that defending national champs don't have to fulfill the 7 I-AA win criteria the following year?? That would definitely throw some wrenches in the playoff bracketology! Won't happen, I know, they don't have enough quality wins, but it is sorta funny to think about.
It's kinda like thinking about how Santa squeezes down my chimney at Christmas, totally crazy but so much fun to think about. Being that I can't play against hampton, I would pick Coastal in the playoffs if only because JMU has the confidence from last year.

DB_Atlantic10
November 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=DB_Atlantic10]

Becaue JMU carries the Big Joker...defending Champions, it's got to be worth something... If selecting teams were that easy, there would be no need for a committee...just read what the popular posts say and then declare the fields....right? No matter how you slice it, someone will get left out......there could be 17 10-1 teams, but only 16 can go.......

colgate13
November 8th, 2005, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=TypicalTribe]

Becaue JMU carries the Big Joker...defending Champions, it's got to be worth something...

New year. It's not worth anything.

Defending champs got you #1 preseason. Four losses and only 6 D-I wins has you sitting at home. Plenty of other teams to choose from.

GannonFan
November 8th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I don't think many teams out there would want to host JMU in the first round 6 D-1 wins or not.... Would you?

I'm sure UD would - it would get us in the playoffs and Cuff could possibly go for 300 yards this time. ;)

Down with the Foe!
November 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=bandl]It's kinda like thinking about how Santa squeezes down my chimney at Christmas, totally crazy but so much fun to think about.

I know how he squeezes down my Chimney: I had my contractor add extra bricks to make it more of a square than a rectangle while building my house...

:rolleyes:

forgive me, maybe I've said too much.

flip a coin... the committee will not select the best field of 16 teams because of some rule...that will need to be changed in the future becuase of adding an extra game to the schedule, but no one will want to change it because they may end up scrapping the I-AA classification....you get the picture.

Go Griz-

P.S. - I'll take Hampton for 200 Alex.

JMU Duke Dog
November 8th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I do not think JMU will make it the playoffs but in this ridiculously crazy year anything is possible. The 7 DI win suggestion is just that a suggestion to the playoff committee but they do not have to abide by it. I believe that JMU is better than a lot of teams that have better records that will make the playoffs however things did not bounce the Dukes' way in some close games. Here is a recount of what has happened so far in JMU's 2005 season:

9/3 W 56-0 vs. Lock Haven
9/10 L 27-31 at #9 Coastal Carolina - Adam Ford dropped possible interception really late in the 4th quarter would have ended the game with JMU being victorious
9/17 W 65-7 vs. Delaware State
10/1 W 42-7 at Hofstra
10/8 W 38-2 vs. Maine
10/15 L 7-10 at #5 Massachusetts - Alvin Banks' fumble eight yards away from the endzone would have resulted in a JMU victory
10/22 L 28-34 at Delaware
10/29 L 15-18 vs. # 18 Richmond
11/5 W 30-29 at #24 William & Mary
11/12 vs. Villanova
11/19 vs. Towson

JMU has to be the best 4-loss team in the nation with the smallest margin of defeat in its 4 losses by a combined 16 points with three of those to top 20 team making JMU also the one with the strongest resume out of those team with 4 losses in the nation.

bandl
November 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I believe that JMU is better than a lot of teams that have better records that will make the playoffs .

This is going to bring you alot of smack!!!! :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with you, partly....they were on the short end of the close games this year, while they won those close games last year (UD, Furman, Lehigh, etc.) But I don't think they'll get in the playoffs this year...there are too many other teams out there who were in the same predicaments game in and game out....but won the close games, or at least more than one (before JMU beat W&M).

DB_Atlantic10
November 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM
But I don't think they'll get in the playoffs this year...there are too many other teams out there who were in the same predicaments game in and game out....

The question is, who where those close wins against? Looking at the field ahead of us and knowing how the Dukes played them and what those teams brought to the table, if the Dukes were to get in, they could definitely make a run. Once the autobids are selected, the committe may say, of the teams remaining, who scares you the most? Also D-II games are a part of scheduling.... for exp: with LSU being a BCS team, why would they schedule App St.? Because it's a part of football and is accepted to give the lower team a chance to play higher competition. Just dont' get carried away with it...ie more than I per season...up or down for that matter.

It's a stretch for the Dukes to make it with the situation they've put themselves in....but it won't be because they are not one of the best remaining teams, it would be because as you mentioned, a criteria...

bostonspider
November 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Well say UR loses to either TU or W&M, I don't think they would deserve to get in, but how would their resume be any less than JMU's, as they would have the required 7 D1 wins, and one of thier losses would be to a 1-A school and they would have beaten JMU. I just don't see anyway that Madison deserves to get a bid based on this year's results.

bandl
November 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Well say UR loses to either TU or W&M, I don't think they would deserve to get in, but how would their resume be any less than JMU's, as they would have the required 7 D1 wins, and one of thier losses would be to a 1-A school and they would have beaten JMU. I just don't see anyway that Madison deserves to get a bid based on this year's results.

again....PLAY ALONG! Everyone knows JMU won't get in....it's a HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION!!! Just for *****s and giggles. :p

DB_Atlantic10
November 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM
again....PLAY ALONG! Everyone knows JMU won't get in....it's a HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION!!! Just for *****s and giggles. :p

:lmao: What if they actually do get in....whose going to be the first to write the committee....

TypicalTribe
November 8th, 2005, 04:45 PM
:lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: What if they actually do get in....whose going to be the first to write the committee....

Not me. I'll be too busy watching the flying pigs.

Sam Adams
November 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM
JMU making the 2005 playoffs.... isn't it a bit early in the work week to be getting loaded up on the JMU joy juice?
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

bandl
November 8th, 2005, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Sam Adams]JMU joy juice?
QUOTE]

gross...I hope you aren't referring to the Duke Dog in some way!! ;)

Cocky
November 8th, 2005, 08:58 PM
I would want either App State or GSU. If we get in by a coin flip I may get my wish.

JSU Fan
November 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM
If JSU wins out AND wins a coin flip for the OVC autobid, I forecast a trip to Boone.

Out.

ngineer
November 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see Lehigh play UMass or Richmond (still possible). Always fun to go against the A-10,plus there is some recent history against both schools with some good battles back in '98...

bodoyle
November 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM
EVERYONE would choose to play us over the other 2 teams. Noone respects us outside of our own fan base, which is fine with me. Just ask my other favorite team, the Chicago White Sox

89Hen
November 9th, 2005, 01:02 PM
What I don't understand about this thread is why you are choosing between Coastal and Hampton. If you're going to pretend that JMU can make the playoffs, why not pretend that you could host Liberty or VMI in the first round? :cool:

grizindabox
November 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I want Prairie View? ;)

charliej
November 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM
What I don't understand about this thread is why you are choosing between Coastal and Hampton. If you're going to pretend that JMU can make the playoffs, why not pretend that you could host Liberty or VMI in the first round? :cool:

Yeah,Who wouldn't want to draw Nova in week one? :D