PDA

View Full Version : Official App State vs East Carolina thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ECU
May 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
But congratulations, you have a couple of fat guys on the line that we can run around.
xcoffeex

DE CJ Wilson 6-4 271 SR.. 2nd round (34th overall ) projected pick (NFL draft scout)

DT Jay Ross 6-3, 306 SR ... 5th round projected pick (NFL draft scout)

DT Linval Joesph 6-6, 300 JR... Originally commited to Florida, was the state of FL weight lifting champ, actually lost 73 lbs &'s now ripped. One of the top DT's in the class of 2011

Good luck getting around those 3, fatties as will all likely play in the NFL.

AppIAA
May 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
xcoffeex

DE CJ Wilson 6-4 271 SR.. 2nd round (34th overall ) projected pick (NFL draft scout)

DT Linval Joesph 6-6, 300 JR... Originally commited to Florida, was the state of FL weight lifting champ, actually lost 73 lbs &'s now ripped. One of the top DT's in the class of 2011

Is Jesus on your team too? You're team, while very talented, is not the best team ever like you seem to think.

Get over yourself, your team, and wait for the game to be played!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm going to make a post without quotes to organize my arguments better.

These are the games with FCS teams the current CUSA members have played as CUSA members

ECU (6-6, 5-3 CUSA) beats William and Mary (8-4) by 15
UCF (4-8) beats South Carolina State (10-3) by 17
Marshall (4-7) beats William and Mary (5-6) by 12
Marshall (5-7) beats Hofstra (2-9) by 23
Marshall (3-9) loses to New Hampshire (7-5) by 13
Marshall (4-8) beats Illinois State (3-8) by 25
Memphis (5-6) beats UT Chattanooga (3-8) by 33
Memphis (3-9) beats Murray State (7-5) by 46
Memphis (9-4) beats Tennessee Tech (2-9) by 30
Memphis (8-4) beats UT Chattanooga (2-9) by 31
Memphis (7-5) beats UT Chattanooga (6-5) by 45
Memphis (2-10) beats UT Chattanooga (3-8) by 19
Memphis (7-6) beats Jacksonville State (6-5) by 21
Memphis (6-7) beats Nicholls State (3-6) by 21
Southern Miss (9-3) beats Northwestern State (4-7) by 34
Southern Miss (7-6) beats Jackson State (7-4) by 48
Southern Miss (7-5) beats McNeese State (5-4) by 28
Southern Miss (9-5) beats Southeast Louisiana (2-9) by 45
Southern Miss (7-6) beats UT Martin (4-7) by 22
Houston (7-5) beats Sam Houston State (4-7) by 18
Houston (6-6) beats Sam Houston State (3-7) by 21
Houston (10-4, CUSA champs) beats Grambling State (3-8) by 20
Houston (8-5) beats Southern (6-5) by 32
Rice (3-9) loses to Nicholls State (6-5) by 2
Tulane (4-8) beats Southeastern Louisiana (3-8) by 8
Tulsa (8-5) beats Stephen F. Austin (4-7) by 38
Tulsa (11-3) beats Central Arkansas (10-2) by 32
UAB (7-4) beats UTC (5-6) by 5
UAB (6-5) beats Montana State (5-6) by 28
UAB (5-6) beats Jacksonville State (6-5) by 7
UAB (2-10) beats Alcorn State (2-8) by 22

The teams that made the playoffs are highlighted in blue. The funny thing about all of this is that the current CUSA members as CUSA members have not beaten (because they haven't played) a single FCS team that has won a playoff game. Not one. 11 of the 31 teams had a winning record, and only 6 of the 31 had more than 6 wins. It's not like most of these teams are from the power conferences, either. You can't tell me that CUSA teams (actually all FBS) teams are choosy about which FCS teams they schedule.

Also, here's what happened to the playoff teams that CUSA played...
William and Mary (2001) loses to ECU by 15 in RS, loses to App. by 13 in first round
South Carolina State (2008) loses to UCF by 17, loses to App. by 16 in first round
New Hampshire (2007) beats Marshall by 13, loses to Northern Iowa by 3 in first round
Murray State (2002) loses to Memphis by 46, loses to Western Kentucky by 39 in the first round
Central Florida (1993) loses to ECU by 24, loses to Youngstown State by 26
(threw the last one in there because that was the only one of the three IAA UCF teams ECU played that went to the playoffs)

Sorry, taking all of this into consideration I just don't see anything indicating that the top 15 or so FCS teams on any given year wouldn't be an even match for at least half of the CUSA teams on the same year. And App. this year is probably going to be better than your average top 15 FCS team. This team could (depending on how they can do with Satterfield and whether they resolve OL issues) be among the best FCS teams ever. Sorry, I just can't see this game being a blowout.

And yeah, you guys beat GSC in 1986 with a 2-9 team (I'll give you the loss to Temple) but like I said you were not playing a CUSA schedule, you had a schedule consisting of two teams who went to BCS games, a 10-2 Auburn team, and an a NC State with a Bowl bid. And on top of that, playing them all at their stadiums...compare that to your BCS schedule from last year:
1) playing VT with a different QB than they have been using all year at a neutral site
2) playing the third best team in the Big East after the ACC looted their best programs in Greenville
3) playing the worst team in the ACC Atlantic division on the road
4) playing the second worst team in the ACC Coastal division on the road
And yes, you've got more BCS wins than all of the elite FCS programs (and the whole division for that matter) combined, but how many wins would elite FCS teams have if they have had as many opportunities as your team has? What if IA/FBS teams didn't "size up" FCS teams before scheduling them as they seem to usually do? And what if the FCS teams had the opportunity to play some of the games at home?

ECU
May 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
ECU (40-2) + CUSA (29-2) = 69-4 xcoffeex

GSU fan, are you seriously still rambling? For all your 6 national titles you're pulling an 0-fer vs d1, including 0-3 vs very bad ECU teams, with a couple top 5 D1aa GSU one's, even a "national" champ. It was cute taking shots at ECU & CUSA as being delusional & out of touch "yockles" from reality for a while, but you just need to drop it now. xrolleyesx

jonmac
May 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Gee, I guess the BCS should go ahead and etch ECU's name on that crystal football. Boy I'll be glad when this game gets here.

Appinator
May 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
xcoffeex

Ryan Leaf played in the NFL too, that doesn't mean much.

Wilson is definitely a talent, but he is not something that we haven't seen before.

The only thing scary about Joesph was how low his sack and TFL totals were last year (2.5 and 8)

appmaj
May 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM

GSU fan, are you seriously still rambling? For all your 6 national titles you're pulling an 0-fer vs FBS, including 0-3 vs very bad ECU teams, with a couple top 5 D1aa GSU one's, even a "national" champ. It was cute taking shots at ECU & CUSA as being delusional & out of touch "yockles" from reality for a while, but you just need to drop it now. xrolleyesx

If you are going to be on this site get it straight...
GSU has plenty of Division I wins seeing as how they play in a Division I conference and are a Division I school

Appinator
May 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM
By the way, ECU, I wanted to congratulate your athletic program for only having 1 men’s team (Baseball) above the Division 1 median APR for its respective sport and only 3 above the median for the D-1 Public institutions. (Out of 9 possible)

However, I know you are all about "comparable" stats, and only comparing your program to "big time FBS" programs makes sense. You wouldn't want any book smart Ivies or any other FCS teams skewing the overall Division 1 average. There might be a problem still, as 0 out of 9 programs are above the FBS schools median. Ouch.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/196_2008_apr.pdf

Longrifle
May 7th, 2009, 08:58 AM

GSU fan, are you seriously still rambling? For all your 6 national titles you're pulling an 0-fer vs d1, including 0-3 vs very bad ECU teams, with a couple top 5 D1aa GSU one's, even a "national" champ. It was cute taking shots at ECU & CUSA as being delusional & out of touch "yockles" from reality for a while, but you just need to drop it now. xrolleyesx

Jeez are YOU still rambling. For all of your grid iron success, YOU are still 10 and 19 against APP. Even if you manage to win (and YOU should) you will still only be 11 and 19 against us. You better hope you are able to blow us out, otherwise your season will suck and all of the other in state FBS schools will still be laughing and treating you like the red headed stepchild that you are.

phillyAPP
May 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Jeez are YOU still rambling. For all of your grid iron success, YOU are still 10 and 19 against APP. Even if you manage to win (and YOU should) you will still only be 11 and 19 against us. You better hope you are able to blow us out, otherwise your season will suck and all of the other in state FBS schools will still be laughing and treating you like the red headed stepchild that you are.

OOOUUCH !!!

Lets keep ECU around til game time. I like the banter.

Good luck Pirate Panzy in Purple !!!xsmiley_wix

I think it will be a great football fight myself !

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM

So in other words, you don't think it matters that the current CUSA teams as CUSA teams have not played a single team that has won a playoff game, and that 6 of the 31 teams had more than 6 wins, and that many are not from the top FCS conferences?

GSU fan, are you seriously still rambling? For all your 6 national titles you're pulling an 0-fer vs d1,

Our FBS/IA schedule from 1984-2005 would put all of your schedules in your CUSA years to shame. For that matter, it would put every college football schedule to shame because it's almost not possible to have a lineup like it.
1984/1986/1987 East Carolina
1988 - 11-1 Florida State Sugar Bowl champs.
1990 - 10-2 Florida State
1991 - 5-5-1 Auburn
1992 - 10-2 Georgia
1993 - 9-3 Miami Fiesta Bowl loser
1994 - 10-2 Miami Orange Bowl losers
1996 - 12-2 Florida Sugar Bowl Champs
1999 - 7-5 Oregon State (lost by 7, hung 41 on a team giving up about 20 ppg)
2000 - 8-4 Georgia
2004 - 10-2 Georgia
2007- 3-9 Colorado State
2008 - 10-3 Georgia
We haven't been getting games with teams from conferences like the Big East (the current members) or Conference USA. We also haven't got to play a 5-7 Virginia, a 3-9 NC State, or a 10-3 Boise State team either.

And we don't get to play any of them at home.

including 0-3 vs very bad ECU teams, with a couple top 5 D1aa GSU one's, even a "national" champ.

And yeah, you guys beat GSC in 1986 with a 2-9 team (I'll give you the loss to Temple) but like I said you were not playing a CUSA schedule, you had a schedule consisting of two teams who went to BCS games, a 10-2 Auburn team, and an a NC State with a Bowl bid. And on top of that, playing them all at their stadiums...compare that to your BCS schedule from last year:
1) playing VT with a different QB than they have been using all year at a neutral site
2) playing the third best team in the Big East after the ACC looted their best programs in Greenville
3) playing the worst team in the ACC Atlantic division on the road
4) playing the second worst team in the ACC Coastal division on the road
And yes, you've got more BCS wins than all of the elite FCS programs (and the whole division for that matter) combined, but how many wins would elite FCS teams have if they have had as many opportunities as your team has? What if IA/FBS teams didn't "size up" FCS teams before scheduling them as they seem to usually do? And what if the FCS teams had the opportunity to play some of the games at home?

"Really bad" is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? And as I have said before, the only reason that 1987 GSC team was ranked was because they won the NC before. We lost a lot of seniors after the '86 season and the best team we arguably played that season was ASU. And your '87 team was 5-6 and also laden with BCS teams.

phillyAPP
May 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
So in other words, you don't think it matters that the current CUSA teams as CUSA teams have not played a single team that has won a playoff game, and that 6 of the 31 teams had more than 7 wins, and that many are not from the top FCS conferences?

"Really bad" is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? And as I have said before, the only reason that 1987 GSC team was ranked was because they won the NC before. We lost a lot of seniors after the '86 season and the best team we arguably played that season was ASU. And your '87 team was 5-6 and also laden with BCS teams.

Keep the LOGIC streaming FCS........ We know what you be saying ! :D

We will see in September !!! but winning is the only answer to shutting them up then we can hear the excuses.

And I would like for an BCS team to come to the ROCK.....I know it aint go'in to happen but what about Charlotte in neutral site or somewhere else neutral almost ???

biggie
May 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Any App vs FBS team set in Charlotte would probably come close to a sellout. As long as it wasn't on TV.

appmaj
May 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Any App vs FBS team set in Charlotte would probably come close to a sellout. As long as it wasn't on TV.

App vs. ANY of the NC 5 FBS teams would be big in Charlotte

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
If this game was played this year I'd take Appy in a heartbeat!

It is this year, as in this coming Fall.

ECU
May 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
So in other words, you don't think it matters that the current CUSA teams as CUSA teams have not played a single team that has won a playoff game, and that 6 of the 31 teams had more than 6 wins, and that many are not from the top FCS conferences?
No. If you're going to buy a win, what’s it really matter? Perception of D1aa's are all about the same, & it's almost always a win. They don't give out style points & App St is about the only D1aa anyone outside D1aa has really paid attention to in that time frame that might have had any to take.

I wish none of CUSA would play D1aa's, we got our own perception issues, evident by you saying no way we could be a "legit" #17 team & trashing the rest of the conf when we are 29-2 vs D1aa, & it isn't like you're some BCS homer. CUSA should be trying to compete with the BCS or at the very least games with other D1a conferences, not lower.

ECU doesn't play D1aa's unless there are extenuating circumstances like games being dropped or moved late, & you can’t say we are dodging anyone D1aa. Seems like we are playing the best around this year. That’s what you originally asked me if we played any “good” D1aa’s in that 40-2 record. I pointed out where we beat your “national” champion GSU team with a 2 win team & you are still going.

We didn't either in the 70's. Then we expanded our stadium & pay teams enough to come.

"Really bad" is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?
The 3 ECU teams you got sweept by were a combined 9-24. Sure they played on another level and tough schedules, but all 3 of your teams all had 8+ wins & 2 were top 5 D1aa's. Then you lost to a 3-9 Colorado state team. There are 4 non-BCS teams that weren't good & had the same results.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
No. If you're going to buy a win, what’s it really matter? Perception of D1aa's are all about the same, & it's almost always a win. They don't give out style points & App St is about the only D1aa anyone outside D1aa has really paid attention to in that time frame that might have had any to take.

You can scoff at the "style points" argument all you want, the fact is the year after you beat our NC team you had a team that was probably much better and still barely beat a GSU team that wasn't as good. And of the four teams the current group of CUSA teams that actually made the playoffs, all of them could argue that team that they lost to was almost as good or better than the CUSA team they lose to. ASU was certainly the best team we played in 1987.

You can't just cherry-pick the one actual win you have over a team that won a playoff game any more than I could use ASU's win over Michigan as proof that top SoCon teams would be competitive in the Big X year in and year out.

ECU doesn't play D1aa's unless there are extenuating circumstances like games being dropped or moved late, & you can’t say we are dodging anyone D1aa. That’s what you originally asked me if we played any “good” D1aa’s in that 40-2 record. I pointed out where we beat your “national” champion GSU team with a 2 win team & you are still going.

So I'm supposed to be convinced because of one game you played back when you played a schedule that was head and shoulders above your CUSA schedule, despite the larger trend?

Then you lost to a 3-9 Colorado state team. There are 4 non-BCS teams that weren't strong & had the same results.

I'm not sure I'd use the CSU game as a measuring stick. In the CSU we had lost almost half of the original starters that we had at the beggining of the season. We had no one to replace them and had to use offensive players on the defense. CSU nearly lost to a team that was 3-5 in the Big Sky last year, anyways, so I don't think much of it. The point of that list though is that the BCS teams we have played are almost all better than the ones that you have beaten.

ECU
May 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
You can't just cherry-pick the one actual win you have over a team that won a playoff game any more than I could use ASU's win over Michigan as proof that top SoCon teams would be competitive in the Big X year in and year out.

So I'm supposed to be convinced because of one game you played back when you played a schedule that was head and shoulders above your CUSA schedule, despite the larger trend?
WTH is this larger trend exactly? All you can come up with is 1 big upset ever & some moral "we played them close" victories.

40-2..... get a clue xrulesx

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
ECU the team should win the game handily. Will ECU the poster hang around if the unthinkable happens?

ECU
May 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Upsets happen. I'd come back & eat crow.

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Upsets happen. I'd come back & eat crow.

I've certainly eaten my share. It'd be nice to see someone else get the chance. xnodx

appmaj
May 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
117 days

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
117 days

I've got my room. Now all I need is a ticket.

appmaj
May 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Same here...

APPStrongNC
May 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Getting my room set up at the Jameson Inn.
Looking for two tickets also???

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Only looking for one. ECU single game sales don't start until August. I figure (hope) they should be fairly easy to get.

appmaj
May 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Im looking for 2.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM
WTH is this larger trend exactly?

Maybe the fact (that I have already pointed out twice) is that only 6 of the 31 games I mentioned were against teams with more than 6 wins, only four were actual playoff teams, and not a single team that current CUSA members have played as CUSA members has won a playoff game.

Like I said before, you may have beaten the 1986 GSC team with a 2-9 squad but the next year you barely beat a GSC team that was only ranked because it had won the NC a year before. Also, the only other playoff teams you played were one team that was blown out in the first round and another that was blown out in the quarterfinals.

Seems to me like you are basing you're sizing up this game based on the outcome of a game from 1986 before you even played in CUSA and when there was arguably less parity between DIA and DIAA.

APPStrongNC
May 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Only looking for one. ECU single game sales don't start until August. I figure (hope) they should be fairly easy to get.

I hope so man. Looking daily and will jump If I find something I like. Hopefully before August....
good luck....

CamelCityAppFan
May 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
xcoffeex

<yawn>

I remember beating the chicken-snot of a certain Mr. Flacco in a National Championship game. I hear he's in the NFL now...

Appinator
May 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM
*Bump* - For App domination

DLS
May 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM
*Bump* - For App domination

the pegboys from wanna be wilmington, are going get a new hole to fill come sept 5th.

appmaj
May 18th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Where is the ECU fan?

Touchdown Yosef
May 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
So those of you who have either been there before or are ECU fans, where is the best place to stay? Is there anything in walking distance to the stadium? What time should I plan on arriving to get a decent tailgate spot?

phillyAPP
May 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM
xcoffeex

1- We love using speed to get around fatties !!!
2- Notice that 2nd round pick is not a fatty
3- Projected...smojected.....who cares on game day
4- App plays to WIN xeekxxeekx
5- Thank you for playing us and Thank you for making it fun with 109 days to go !!

GO APP..........Fight APP......... KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

biggie
May 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM
So those of you who have either been there before or are ECU fans, where is the best place to stay? Is there anything in walking distance to the stadium? What time should I plan on arriving to get a decent tailgate spot?
Believe you'll be lucky to find anything currently. Maybe Friday night, but not Saturday night.

Unless you look 25-35 minutes away from Greenville.

mountaineertider
May 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I can't remember what it was, but when I visited my brother, we stayed in a nice hotel in Washington, NC.

appmaj
June 8th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Any updates on ECU's preseason rank?

DLS
June 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Any updates on ECU's preseason rank?

ive seen 53 from sporting news.

strong defense with a mediocre offense

APPStrongNC
June 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM

staying at the Jameson Inn (bout 2 mile from campus on Friday Night) and plan to arrive around 8am for the game, as I have been told this is when they will open the lots. Talk on MMB about lot 18 as it is the general lot. Lot 7 is also a general lot

Also, I posted this over on MMB
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ecgruber__W0QQ_sidZ72499899?_nkw=East+Carolina+&submit=Search
Dude has three sets. This is where I got my three tickets from the other day....
Good luck and Look forward to chilling with some fellow APP fan at the game...

Touchdown Yosef
June 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
staying at the Jameson Inn (bout 2 mile from campus on Friday Night) and plan to arrive around 8am for the game, as I have been told this is when they will open the lots. Talk on MMB about lot 18 as it is the general lot. Lot 7 is also a general lot

Also, I posted this over on MMB
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ecgruber__W0QQ_sidZ72499899?_nkw=East+Carolina+&submit=Search
Dude has three sets. This is where I got my three tickets from the other day....
Good luck and Look forward to chilling with some fellow APP fan at the game...

Yea I got a room at the Holiday Inn Express. Keep the tailgate info coming. We are going down Friday Night and going to bed early to be up and at em at Sunrise. We got 8 of us going down and I cannot wait for September to get here. Tailgating in groups should be fun, strength in numbers. How many tickets did we get for our allotment?

jonmac
June 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Holiday Inn Express, huh? Make sure you're close to the sidelines in case JM has a strategy/play call question.:Dxthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
June 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm staying at the Day's Inn Friday and Saturday. I'm glad I booked several months ago. Rooms were $35 then, and $73 now.

Touchdown Yosef
June 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm staying at the Day's Inn Friday and Saturday. I'm glad I booked several months ago. Rooms were $35 then, and $73 now.

wow, mine was like 170 but no wives are going so we'll act like we are still in college cram 6 or 7 in the room and have great time. I'm just glad to have a place to crash thats close to campus.

biggie
June 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
We will be at Jameson Inn Friday night as well. Probably driving back after the game Saturday though.

ECU
June 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM
ive seen 53 from sporting news.

#32 in the composite ranking off all the polls

http://www.lsufootball.net/articles/2009-preseason-polls.htm

strong defense with a mediocre offense

The offense was mediocre last year, but we didn't have Jamar Bryant, Dwayne Harris, or Jon Williams after mid season. Those were easily our best 3 playmakers. You could even throw D. Lindsey in there as well who beat Chris Johnson out for starting RB a couple times in his career & we lost preseason. All should be back 100%. The year before however we had one of the best offenses in school history.

I envision something closer to that this year, with a 6th year QB, a veteran O-line, getting back our best playmakers, & the freshman that filled in last year only getting better. Much was made about Holtz turning down Syracuse, but our Offensive coordinator turned down Minnesota to return as well & I doubt he did that if he thought he was going to have a mediocre offense this year.

appmaj
June 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM

The offense was mediocre last year, but we didn't have Jamar Bryant, Dwayne Harris, or Jon Williams after mid season. Those were easily our best 3 playmakers. You could even throw D. Lindsey in there as well who beat Chris Johnson out for starting RB a couple times in his career & we lost preseason. All should be back 100%. The year before however we had one of the best offenses in school history.

I envision something closer to that this year, with a 6th year QB, a veteran O-line, getting back our best playmakers, & the freshman that filled in last year only getting better. Much was made about Holtz turning down Syracuse, but our Offensive coordinator turned down Minnesota to return as well & I doubt he did that if he thought he was going to have a mediocre offense this year.

This composite poll is flawed. If a team is not ranked in a poll they are given a #26.

PonteVedraEagle
June 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Actually they were winless, as they had never played a I-AA before App State or since.

Not exactly 40+ games worth with only 2 losses (& those came in the 1st couple years after the split). That also includes beating a I-AA champ (Georgia Southern), in a year we only won 1 other game that season.

The great Erk Russell coached football for 40 years. In those 40 seasons he was flagged only once and it was GSU's last trip to ECU. The 3 games GSU played there were all decided by a TD or less and every game came down to a ref's call. Erk said he would never again carry another team to ECU. Call it anything you want, but ECU didn't win those games without help.

As for ASU 9/5/09, you're going to need the refs again. You have not seen a player like A. Edwards.

SideLine Shooter
June 9th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The great Erk Russell coached football for 40 years. In those 40 seasons he was flagged only once and it was GSU's last trip to ECU. The 3 games GSU played there were all decided by a TD or less and every game came down to a ref's call. Erk said he would never again carry another team to ECU. Call it anything you want, but ECU didn't win those games without help.

As for ASU 9/5/09, you're going to need the refs again. You have not seen a player like A. Edwards.

Truth. Welcome PV Eagle.xthumbsupx

DLS
June 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM

that was just a summary of what most of the preseason mags were saying about ecu.

appstate fans are fully aware of what injuries can do to a season. we've had close to 30 surgeries since august 08. we were diving into depth charts just like ecu.

elon77
June 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I don't understand, I thought by now there would be a million reply's on this thread. It just needs to get nasty or something. Most outhouses, ugliest women, SAT scores of 10, worst moonshine, most teeth, best coon dogs. Only 300 post, it must be the ECU fans because I know the ASU fans can post.

DLS
June 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I don't understand, I thought by now there would be a million reply's on this thread. It just needs to get nasty or something. Most outhouses, ugliest women, SAT scores of 10, worst moonshine, most teeth, best coon dogs. Only 300 post, it must be the ECU fans because I know the ASU fans can post.

most outhouses - app

ugliest woman - app

sat scores of 10 - ecu

worst shine - ecu

most teeth - ecu (its a denistry school and little else)

best coon dogs - app (swear those wild muts think they own king street)

jonmac
June 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
most outhouses - app

ugliest woman - app

sat scores of 10 - ecu

worst shine - ecu

most teeth - ecu (its a denistry school and little else)

best coon dogs - app (swear those wild muts think they own king street)

DLS their dentistry school is just getting up and running. They've had a medical school for quite some time though...and little else.

DLS
June 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
DLS their dentistry school is just getting up and running. They've had a medical school for quite some time though...and little else.

the only thing ive heard about that school is the denistry crap. i assumed it must be good, guess i was just ignorant. oops

appfan2008
June 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
better school academically = ASU

better school athletically = ASU

The Cats
June 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM
better school academically = ASU

batter school athletically = ASU

batter school athletically xconfusedx

elon77
June 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
xconfusedx

School that spells the best, ECU.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

appfan2008
June 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
School that spells the best, ECU.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

my bad i fixed it... typed to fast for my own good

biggie
June 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Did we forget the landslide STD category? :)

biggie
June 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Noon kickoff set. Get ready for 7am tailgating, ala LSU.

http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061509aac.html

DLS
June 15th, 2009, 04:01 PM
god what i would give to face one of these fbs teams at a night game on the mountian.

AshevilleApp2
June 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Noon kickoff set. Get ready for 7am tailgating, ala LSU.

http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061509aac.html

I $#@*%#* hate 12:00 p.m. starts. xmadx

SideLine Shooter
June 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I $#@*%#* hate 12:00 p.m. starts. xmadx

Me too. But whatever tv wants, tv gets.

This is just such a big deal for the in state people it is a shame it is at noon. I'm sure it is a bigger deal for ASU than ECU because ASU has been trying to get a D-I in state game for years and finally ECU was the only school with the balls to play. I give them props for stepping up and giving us a game. Props to NCSU also for giving us a game in '06.

I hate noon games too!

jonmac
June 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
This post from an ECU fan on the MMB states it well. MASN doesn't have the pull to dictate game times and WITN is a local station that broadcasts Pirate games whenever they play. I think this was done by ECU and not dictated by TV.

To: APPRIDE unread (60 of 62)
26899.60 in reply to 26899.57

they MUST be doing this to curtail the drinking, it's the only strategy that works, (to some degree)...

WITN & MASN are individual ECU TV deals & not conference deals. They get 3rd pick or in other words the scraps left after ESPN & CBS-College Sports decide what they want. We work with WITN some I'm sure, but I doubt we bend much for either & do about what we please & normally tell WITN/MASN when and where we are playing & they have to make it work to keep the deals. For example WITN is the NBC affiliate & has to pre-empt Notre Dame to show us fairly often which catches them some flack & MASN has shown some games delayed to make it work for them.

I think the game time is more a proactive deal. In the past when we have played schools we anticipate selling their allotments or most of their allotments & bringing a few thousand fans & TV wasn't really a factor, like NC State, game times have been moved to noon to keep the drinking & subsequent problems from both sides lower. Smart move. I also suspect Holtz had some input & has often said he prefered to play at noon. I doubt we make you wear black though. Other opening kick offs I recall like Duke a few years back we wore the dark colors.

biggie
June 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
MASN was probably the only TV interested and they have 'bigger' games in mind for later. That's possible.

Either way too much heat and drinking early, 2nd year straight.

jonmac
June 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
It won't be that hot at noon. It will be hotter by game's end. Our hottest part of the day around here is between 2 and 4. And it will be nothing like LA. I was at Emerald Isle when we played Michigan and I think it was hotter in Ann Arbor that day than it was down east. It's also early enough in the hurricane season that there should not be much of threat.

biggie
June 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
It won't be that hot at noon. It will be hotter by game's end. Our hottest part of the day around here is between 2 and 4. And it will be nothing like LA. I was at Emerald Isle when we played Michigan and I think it was hotter in Ann Arbor that day than it was down east. It's also early enough in the hurricane season that there should not be much of threat.
With weather possibilities, if heavy rain how does their field hold up? Would it really slow the teams down?

jonmac
June 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
With weather possibilities, if heavy rain how does their field hold up? Would it really slow the teams down?

After the offseason I would think their field will be in the best shape it will be all season and should hold up well.

DLS
June 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM

the avg high is 85 and the avg low is 66.

record high is 96 degrees.

praying for overcast.

T-Dog
June 16th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm hoping for weather like it was last year in Statesboro. 60 degrees, overcast and a breeze. And we App fans were breaking out the t-shirts while the locals put on layer after layer.

SideLine Shooter
June 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I'm hoping for weather like it was last year in Statesboro. 60 degrees, overcast and a breeze. And we App fans were breaking out the t-shirts while the locals put on layer after layer.

That was a GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hippy@GSU
June 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM

I was disappointed with the weather in Statesboro. I wish you guys could have gotten a dose of the South Georgia bear, but sadly the weather was rather pleasant for the mountain dwellers.

Anyway, if ASU takes care of business they will be fine.

T-Dog
June 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
That was a GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely. The overcast was nice, but the slight breeze was awesome as it got rid of the gnats. xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
June 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Definitely. The overcast was nice, but the slight breeze was awesome as it got rid of the gnats. xthumbsupx

I was truly thankful for that. I didn't notice the odor being as bad as it was in '06 either.

ECU
June 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Our field drains exceptionally well. Before the West Virginia game last year, there was a tropical storm that passed though Greenville that morning & we played the game at 4. The game was only moved back one hour.

elon77
June 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM

I heard they are dumping water on the field as we speak so Edwards will only be able to slip and slide. ECU doesn't want him to be able to get any traction.xlolx

jonmac
June 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I heard they are dumping water on the field as we speak so Edwards will only be able to slip and slide. ECU doesn't want him to be able to get any traction.xlolx

Well, I'm not sure how much ECU relies on speed but I would expect them to let the grass get a couple of inches taller than usual. I would if it were me making that decision. That's what home field advantage is all about.

SideLine Shooter
June 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM

That works both ways.xnodx

ECU
June 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Well, I'm not sure how much ECU relies on speed but I would expect them to let the grass get a couple of inches taller than usual. I would if it were me making that decision. That's what home field advantage is all about.

Rain, longer grass, good grief. Last time I checked it rains on both sides of the field & players run on the same grass. This kind of stuff is irrelevant.

As far as speed, nahh we have none xrolleyesx . Ever heard of Chris Johnson? He ran a 4.24 at the combines last year, which was only the fastest electronically(legit) 40 ever in NLF combine history. The year before we had a WR run the fastest 10 yards ever at the NFL combine (who CJ also tied). This year one of our recruits ran the fastest electronically timed 40 in Nike combine history at 4.25 & of course the fastest high schooler in the nation coming in. That's before he even hits our weight program. Ever hear of track superstar Lashawn Merritt? Won a couple sprinting Golds at the 2008 Olympics. Ran here in college. We produce some world class speed & have plenty of it on the football field.

AshevilleApp2
June 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Rain, longer grass, good grief. Last time I checked it rains on both sides of the field & players run on the same grass. This kind of stuff is irrelevant.

As far as speed, nahh we have none xrolleyesx . Ever heard of Chris Johnson? He ran a 4.24 at the combines last year, which was only the fastest electronically(legit) 40 ever in NLF combine history. The year before we had a WR run the fastest 10 yards ever at the NFL combine (who CJ also tied). This year one of our recruits ran the fastest electronically timed 40 in Nike combine history at 4.25 & of course the fastest high schooler in the nation coming in. That's before he even hits our weight program. Ever hear of track superstar Lashawn Merritt? Won a couple sprinting Golds at the 2008 Olympics. Ran here in college. We produce some world class speed & have plenty of it on the football field.

So it's settled then. The game will be a blowout. I might as well cancel my room. xnodx

jonmac
June 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Dude, settle down a bit. I was not accusing ECU of any wrong doing. And I was not insinuating that you had no speed. In an effort to keep this thread from the smack board I will be refrain from some of the comments I would like to make. All I was saying is that ASU's offense is designed around team speed and it would benefit a team to slow us down a bit. Now ECU's offense may be based on team speed as well, I do not follow them closely enough to know for sure. Nor do I pay enough attention to them to recognize the names you mentioned in your post, but thanks for the info and good for ECU. If ECU's offense is built around team speed, then no, it would not benefit them to grow the grass a little longer as it would slow them down. But don't discount that those type of things are done. Natural grass fields are very often cut in a manner to benefit the home team. There are all kinds of little things home teams do in all sports to give themselves an advantage and it is not cheating(as long as it is within the rules), it is simply part of home field advantage.

Touchdown Yosef
June 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Just a quick bump. It doesn't look like App will have to wear black. The athletic dept. has not been notified of anything that would require them to wear black. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

biggie
June 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Unless they choose to. Wouldn't put it past them.

DLS
June 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Unless they choose to. Wouldn't put it past them.

all whites look the best regardless

Appinator
June 23rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Bad things happen to the big boys when we have our whites on....

biggie
June 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I much prefer the look of black, but for this game would like white for the trend/hot day.

DLS
June 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I much prefer the look of black, but for this game would like white for the trend/hot day.

never felt that my jersey color mattered much when playing on hot days. i'd be burning up no matter what.

Touchdown Yosef
June 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I wonder if they crank the heat in the indoor facility for indoor practices leading up to the ECU game.

AppIAA
June 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
They sure do.. and they'll also be blaring the ECU fight song during all summer workouts

biggie
June 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM
They sure do.. and they'll also be blaring the ECU fight song during all summer workouts
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum?

Appinator
June 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
.. and they'll also be blaring the ECU fight song during all summer workouts

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum?

The 80's hit "Girls just want to have fun"

DLS
June 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM
i wonder if ecu would be playing dueling banjos during their workouts then. hmm

that'd be funny

TexasTerror
July 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Enjoy!

Typical of the scheduling mentality under Holtz and athletic director Terry Holland, when ECU did schedule a Football Championship Subdivision opponent, they picked the best one in Appalachian State, the lower DivisionI national champions from 2005 to 2008. “I think it would be extremely hypocritical of us to stand over here and yell that N.C. State, North Carolina, Wake Forest need to play us, and then we turn our back on Appalachian State,” Holtz said.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/816896.html

Touchdown Yosef
July 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Enjoy!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/816896.html

Good article, Skip gains a few points in my book with that one.

appmaj
July 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Good article, Skip gains a few points in my book with that one.

xthumbsupx

DLS
July 20th, 2009, 02:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/conversation?gameId=292480151

fair amount of posting going on at espn for this game. but, it looks like they are beginning to run out of material to argue.

KiddBrewer
July 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/conversation?gameId=292480151

fair amount of posting going on at espn for this game. but, it looks like they are beginning to run out of material to argue.

hm, kinda like we are here?

DLS
July 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM
we've been out for a while.

unless someone wants to argue who's fans are gonna tailgate harder again.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 21st, 2009, 07:46 AM
LoL at all of the academic smack talk. ECU's academics remind me of Georgia State's. They have a few good undergraduate academic programs, good post-baccalaureate programs, but their admissions (at least undergrad admissions) are cream-puff. If they've got hotter coeds than ASU, then that's why. xlolx

elon77
July 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM
we've been out for a while.

unless someone wants to argue who's fans are gonna tailgate harder again.

or which school has the ugliest women.

ASU

ECU X

One vote ECU

MarchingMountaineer
July 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
or which school has the ugliest women.

ASU

ECU X

One vote ECU

Nothing like the Boone Butt... it easily adds a point and was a good reason to go to college all the way across the state from home. ECU easily wins this contest... the football game will be a different story.

biggie
July 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Nothing like the Boone Butt... it easily adds a point and was a good reason to go to college all the way across the state from home. ECU easily wins this contest... the football game will be a different story.
Best day of the year = that one day in late April/early May that it hits 55-60 degress and the sun dresses/skimpy outfits came out.

CrackerRiley
July 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Best day of the year = that one day in late April/early May that it hits 55-60 degress and the sun dresses/skimpy outfits came out.

xnodxxthumbsupx

I think about this day when I'm walking in 10 degree weather against 40mph winds.... uphill both ways.

DLS
July 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM
well we could argue about which town is better but it seems the ecu fans have already given up the point.

and they believe it's because boone lacks a certain "urban" population. no lie.

http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=2649

elon77
July 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
well we could argue about which town is better but it seems the ecu fans have already given up the point.

and they believe it's because boone lacks a certain "urban" population. no lie.

http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=2649

I thought that's what they do in dry counties, ur ban the liquor.xlolx That's why you have shine. That's why you have it sometimes.:)

KiddBrewer
July 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I thought that's what they do in dry counties, ur ban the liquor.xlolx That's why you have shine. That's why you have it sometimes.:)

this collection of 24 words confuses me.....xconfusedxxcoffeex what am i missing?

ECU
July 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM

Doesn't really matter where you live, it's what you make of it. A couple months ago my parents rented a cabin outside of Boone & invited me & my sister's family to join them. Went cause I don't see my sis or her kids much. After getting my fill of the extended family thing & being pretty bored and needing a break, being a single man I hit your Boone bars up. Left the bar with just me and 5 lovely App ladies a decade younger than me, & picked which one I wanted. Boone treated me right, so I won't down it to much. You got some wild women too.

biggie
August 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
To get this back up.

Apps allotment of ECU tickets is gone. Except a few student tickets that will go on sale the 24th.

KiddBrewer
August 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
To get this back up.

Apps allotment of ECU tickets is gone. Except a few student tickets that will go on sale the 24th.

IVE GOT MINE!xnodx picked up 3 tickets this morning over the phone (after about an hour of calling and getting a busy signal, but the wait was well worth it!!!!)xthumbsupx:D

KiddBrewer
August 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
we need to have a meet-and-greet for Appalachian AGS members in Greenville....that is if im not too intoxicated to find the meeting spot, ofcourse...

AshevilleApp2
August 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
we need to have a meet-and-greet for Appalachian AGS members in Greenville....that is if im not too intoxicated to find the meeting spot, ofcourse...

Ya'll pick this place. I'll be in Greenville, ticket or not.

DLS
August 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM
im gonna be in portland OR.

had to find a bar open at 9am for kickoff. this place called kingston sounds promising. breakfast burritos look great.

http://www.kingstonsportsbar.com

MountaineerMania54
August 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Just bought tickets a few days ago, where is everyone going to be tailgating at?

Appinator
August 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Just bought tickets a few days ago, where is everyone going to be tailgating at?

Great question. I know there is an official tailgate that the school is sponsoring, but you have to buy tickets to it and I am pretty sure you cannot bring outside beverages.

I think it would be awesome if we could all pick a spot and make that the unofficial ASU lot if there hasn't been one designated already.

biggie
August 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Believe lot 18 on the ECU map is what everyone is aiming for. Though its general admission, so need to get there early. We probably plan on being out there by 7:30-8.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I think the App State fans are getting a little bit out of hand. It's good to be optimistic about your team but you need to keep things realistic. Could App beat ECU? Yeah anythings plausable. BUT, i would not put a single cent on them to win that's for sure. ECU is a legit, solid top 40 program. ECU has waited just as long to play their first game and will now exactly who they're on the field with. There's no way ECU is overlooking or taking App lightly. As long as ECU brings it for 60 minutes they're going to win. They're simply better. Michigan was a once in a lifetime deal. Beating ECU wouldn't be quite the headline maker but it would still turn some heads and sell some hats.

ECU 45 App 24

biggie
August 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I think the App State fans are getting a little bit out of hand. It's good to be optimistic about your team but you need to keep things realistic. Could App beat ECU? Yeah anythings plausable. BUT, i would not put a single cent on them to win that's for sure. ECU is a legit, solid top 40 program. ECU has waited just as long to play their first game and will now exactly who they're on the field with. There's no way ECU is overlooking or taking App lightly. As long as ECU brings it for 60 minutes they're going to win. They're simply better. Michigan was a once in a lifetime deal. Beating ECU wouldn't be quite the headline maker but it would still turn some heads and sell some hats.

ECU 45 App 24
We definitely should have as good or better overall team than last year. Are you trying to think that ECU is as good or better than LSU? I just think it will be a close game (within 10) either way.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM
We definitely should have as good or better overall team than last year. Are you trying to think that ECU is as good or better than LSU? I just think it will be a close game (within 10) either way.

I think ECU will probably be as good as LSU was last year, minus the Peach Bowl. I have no idea what happend there. LSU wasn't too hot last year. The biggest thing IMO is these teams speed on defense. ECU has a lot of speed for a non-bcs team. I saw them play 3 or 4 times and each time i saw the Pirates i was impressed. Their schedule caught up with them a little bit.

james_lawfirm
August 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I think ECU will probably be as good as LSU was last year, minus the Peach Bowl. I have no idea what happend there. LSU wasn't too hot last year. The biggest thing IMO is these teams speed on defense. ECU has a lot of speed for a non-bcs team. I saw them play 3 or 4 times and each time i saw the Pirates i was impressed. Their schedule caught up with them a little bit.

I agree that ECU is faster than Michigan, and that App does not match up as well against ECU as we did against Michigan.

However, I think this game will be closer than you think. I predict a lead at halftime, some rather heated halftime words in the ECU locker room & a ECU win by 2 scores or less.

Appinator
August 5th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Nice mention of us on College Football Live on ESPN today. Didn't think to many FCS teams have been mentioned in the "50 States" segments:

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204769881

KiddBrewer
August 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM

ECU 45 App 24

Lehigh, ill assume that you are you talking to some of App fans and not all, because many to most App posters youll read here are calling for an App win as a homer pick, and even in that case, ive only read wins by 2-5 points for the most part. Ill imagine that 99% of App posters here know how good ECU is, and that they arent a second class program. I think toward the end of your post you began to speak from an Appalachian fans point of view. That being, its just plain fun to speculate and feel confident about your teams chances, especially since your team is probably the best program in FCS at this point. And because of the Michigan win....10, 15, 20 years from now, App fans, before every opening game against a superior opponent, will always have that excitement in their discussions, whether it be here or by the drug store counter. I think after the 2007 opener, that is earned. So, in summary, while people here would love to think that App will win this game, you probably wont find many surprised if we lose.

As for me, my general excitement comes from the chance to watch what I do believe will be an exciting, hard hitting game!xthumbsupx

like i said before, as a homer...:)

App 34
ECU 32

Appinator
August 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Believe lot 18 on the ECU map is what everyone is aiming for. Though its general admission, so need to get there early. We probably plan on being out there by 7:30-8.

For anyone not aware of where "Lot 18" is, here is a map:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv129/bluewaterpirate/Dowdy%20Ficklen%20Stadium/DFPArkingMap09.jpg?t=1248110446

PalaceMaster
August 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm finally glad to see these two schools renew their rivalry on the gridiron.

I'm a Pirate grad, so I'll be rooting for ECU, but I won't be too angry if Appalachian State pulls off another upset.

Appinator
August 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Here is an article in the Observer today:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college-football/story/898066.html

Talks about one of their receivers possible return to the team and how Holtz wants to get back to running more spread offensive sets like he has in the past. It's kind of perplexing though, as his team had a lot of success with a ball control offense and a stifling defense. Why mess with a good thing?

Anyone see a game when ECU was more spread oriented?

Appinator
August 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
HA! also saw this in USA Today, the new 2009 Sagarin ratings are out:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt09.htm

ASU ranked # 68

ECU ranked # 73

AshevilleApp2
August 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
For anyone not aware of where "Lot 18" is, here is a map:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv129/bluewaterpirate/Dowdy%20Ficklen%20Stadium/DFPArkingMap09.jpg?t=1248110446

Lot 18 it is. It'll be good to meet some of ya'll!

Touchdown Yosef
August 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Thought I read on ECU's website and possibly Appfan that lot 18 will be closed for construction.

http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081009aad.html

http://www.appfan.com/blog/?paged=2
see "Beware of space crunch in the harbour"

AshevilleApp2
August 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Thought I read on ECU's website and possibly Appfan that lot 18 will be closed for construction.

http://www.appfan.com/blog/?paged=2
see "Beware of space crunch in the harbour"

Good pickup. So the Colonial Mall lot?

jonmac
August 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Lot 18 will be for reserved parking due to construction around the stadium. There will free satellite parking at the Brody School of Medicine with a $5 shuttle to the stadium, it is NOT within walking distance. ECU is also working with Colonial Mall to provide GA parking, it IS within walking distance, just a little further than lot 18.

biggie
August 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, mall is like a 1/3 mile believe. Probably where we'll try to be.

Touchdown Yosef
August 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Mall sounds good. Now that is a private lot and not necessarily subject to campus rules. So I plan on being there nice and early.

ericsaid
August 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Where will Travaris Cadet play in this game? He has to be put in the AE is a lock and DP is if AE doesn't play. So where do you put Travaris Cadet, it seems as though he's a guy you can't leave on the sidelines.

ASUG8
Mall sounds good. Now that is a private lot and not necessarily subject to campus rules. So I plan on being there nice and early.

Always gotta worry about mall cops with the flashing green lights......xlolx

ericsaid

My dorms within sight of the stadium. So me too!xthumbsupx

Saint3333
August 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Where will Travaris Cadet play in this game? He has to be put in the AE is a lock and DP is if AE doesn't play. So where do you put Travaris Cadet, it seems as though he's a guy you can't leave on the sidelines.

He has been returning kicks in practice. Sounds like he is better running between he and DP, but DP is much more consistent throwing the ball.

Appinator
August 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
He has been returning kicks in practice. Sounds like he is better running between he and DP, but DP is much more consistent throwing the ball.

Yesterday's practice update seemed to indicate that he was the only QB in action. No mention of DP at all. Has anyone heard of him playing with the first team?

Waco Kid
August 20th, 2009, 06:17 PM
DP is still running with the first team, but Cadet has had a few snaps there. Cadet will most likely be returning kicks and get in the game in the slot some. Just gotta make sure he is ready to go at QB as well just in case.

ASU_MBA
August 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
DP is still running with the first team, but Cadet has had a few snaps there. Cadet will most likely be returning kicks and get in the game in the slot some. Just gotta make sure he is ready to go at QB as well just in case.

At 6'0 200+ Cadet is a big guy that will flat out fly, (kind of like R Landers for JMU).....He will return kicks and see some time under center....I still think if he is able to throw slightly better he will split time with DP at QB next year at the least if not win out the job. I have watched Cadet play and the word 'sick' comes to mind. He has not practiced at the slot so not sure if they put him there or not.....Hard to see he pushes out Jamill Lott in the slot who is another A+ kid.

CrackerRiley
August 21st, 2009, 12:55 AM
At 6'0 200+ Cadet is a big guy that will flat out fly, (kind of like R Landers for JMU).....He will return kicks and see some time under center....I still think if he is able to throw slightly better he will split time with DP at QB next year at the least if not win out the job. I have watched Cadet play and the word 'sick' comes to mind. He has not practiced at the slot so not sure if they put him there or not.....Hard to see he pushes out Jamill Lott in the slot who is another A+ kid.

Now how many times have you seen an App QB actually takes snaps from under center? :p

ASU_MBA
August 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Now how many times have you seen an App QB actually takes snaps from under center? :p

it has been about 4 years..... sorry...just an expression I guess...but while we are on the subject...something I wish they did more of in certain situations...a la GSU game last year before the safety.

Appinator
August 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
it has been about 4 years..... sorry...just an expression I guess...but while we are on the subject...something I wish they did more of in certain situations...a la GSU game last year before the safety.

I remember the JMU game in the playoffs in 2007 watching Armanti scramble over to the sidelines and feverishly practicing taking snaps from under center because he hadn't done it all year. After all that had happened in that game, I was scared to death something else crazy would have happened like us fumbling it right back to them. I really think that is the last time since the Richie era (other than the GSU game) that I have seen it.

appmaj
August 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
What happened to our buddy ECU???

biggie
August 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Not sure we want "ECU" or any other of their fans around. Just browsing through their board the 'good fans' are rarely found (though some good ones have been on MMB). Most of their fans are more cocky on winning than UM or LSU was.

Have already heard way to many horror stories of ECU fans at games, even at their away games. Coming from friends who had witnessed things at games at ECU, at Dook, at UNC, and at NCSU. Should be an interesting road trip, haven't even mentioned to my friend's who are going with me, just let them be surprised.

AppStsGr8
August 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Having seen ECU fans "up close and personal" many years ago, I was hoping their behaviour had changed. The ones on MMB have been quite helpful. Sounds like we might be in for some fun.

On the other hand, they may be like most schools with some really stellar fans and some absolute jerks. Hope I see more of the former than the latter.

ericsaid
August 24th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Armanti was throwing today in practice. But i'm a student at ECU now and there really doesn't seem to be too much talk of football period to be honest. I'm pretty disappointed actually in the lack of interest. The university is excited and trying to stir excitement within the students but its just not there. I really don't think it will pick up till we go to UNC.

SoCon48
August 25th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Armanti was throwing today in practice. But i'm a student at ECU now and there really doesn't seem to be too much talk of football period to be honest. I'm pretty disappointed actually in the lack of interest. The university is excited and trying to stir excitement within the students but its just not there. I really don't think it will pick up till we go to UNC.

Interesting that they have issued more press passes for this game than any other opening game in their history.

AshevilleApp2
August 25th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Who are you pulling for in the game?

jonmac
August 25th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Who are you pulling for in the game?

Good question.
ericsaid, why in the world did you choose to go to ECU? Not diggin', just asking.

appmaj
August 25th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Are you in grad school?

ECU
August 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM
But i'm a student at ECU now and there really doesn't seem to be too much talk of football period to be honest. I'm pretty disappointed actually in the lack of interest. The university is excited and trying to stir excitement within the students but its just not there. I really don't think it will pick up till we go to UNC.

We've sold out our 43k seat stadium for the 3rd straight year before the season starts, & the quickest ever, in a bad economy. Someone's excited. I also don't think we'd be expanding the stadium to 50k after this season if there was no excitment around the program.

AshevilleApp2
August 25th, 2009, 09:54 AM
We've sold out our 43k seat stadium for the 3rd straight year before the season starts, & the quickest ever, in a bad economy. Someone's excited. I also don't think we'd be expanding the stadium to 50k after this season if there was no excitment around the program.

Welcome back ECU. Give us some information on Greenville. What bars, restaurants, live music venues, etc., would you recommend?

ericsaid
August 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Students didn't buy 43k tickets. Alumni and various people around the area did. The students though haven't been talking much about CUSA championships and barely about football period. I believe students will really catch on once we travel to UNC.

I was just saying I wish there was more excitement at the fact that we're playing Appalachian because it is afterall and in-state rival which is more academic then athletic but I was expecting more.

Touchdown Yosef
August 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Students didn't buy 43k tickets. Alumni and various people around the area did. The students though haven't been talking much about CUSA championships and barely about football period. I believe students will really catch on once we travel to UNC.

I was just saying I wish there was more excitement at the fact that we're playing Appalachian because it is afterall and in-state rival which is more academic then athletic but I was expecting more.

Eric I would imagine your sample size is somewhat limited simply b/c you are in contact with mainly freshmen and ECU is a large school with far more students than you are able to survey about their interest in the Appalachian game. I am sure the students will turn out and be quite excited for the start of football season. This is also an athletic rival not academic.

ECU
August 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM

I was just saying I wish there was more excitement at the fact that we're playing Appalachian because it is after all and in-state rival which is more academic then athletic but I was expecting more.

You are correct. Students have an allotment they have to pick up before each game during that week. I think around 12k allotted for 28k students. Several games the last couple years students have at times had to camp out or wake up early to ensure they got their allotment or stand in line for hours.

I assume you are either a freshman or grad student. Both would explain why there isn’t much talk in your circles. Most freshman have likely never been indoctrinated to tailgating at a college football game & how fun that atmosphere is, and many grad students haven’t either or they come from other schools, probably just more interested in their undergrad team at this point.

Welcome back ECU. Give us some information on Greenville. What bars, restaurants, live music venues, etc., would you recommend?
Depends on what you are looking for. Greenville has most popular restaurant chains. If you are looking for something more local, I’d suggest a barbeque place like Parkers or B’s. Barbeque, not my thing but most people here and visitors seem to love them. ESPN has done the taste of the town thing at B’s several times.

As far as bars there are tons of college bars downtown & I can help you if you tell me what your looking for. Pantana Bobs is the really young one, mostly under 21 crowd, the rest I think are 21 and up polices. Still life plays a bit more techno lot of the rest of the clubs are hip hop/pop. Lucky’s is more country. If you like a stand around bar with a good mix of mid 20’s “519’s” the place. Always crowded. If you are looking for something for an older crowd Tiebreakers or Chefs 505 has a lot of all age people but their not downtown.

phillyAPP
August 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
You are correct. Students have an allotment they have to pick up before each game during that week. I think around 12k allotted for 28k students. Several games the last couple years students have at times had to camp out or wake up early to ensure they got their allotment or stand in line for hours.

I assume you are either a freshman or grad student. Both would explain why there isn’t much talk in your circles. Most freshman have likely never been indoctrinated to tailgating at a college football game & how fun that atmosphere is, and many grad students haven’t either or they come from other schools, probably just more interested in their undergrad team at this point.

Depends on what you are looking for. Greenville has most popular restaurant chains. If you are looking for something more local, I’d suggest a barbeque place like Parkers or B’s. Barbeque, not my thing but most people here and visitors seem to love them. ESPN has done the taste of the town thing at B’s several times.

As far as bars there are tons of college bars downtown & I can help you if you tell me what your looking for. Pantana Bobs is the really young one, mostly under 21 crowd, the rest I think are 21 and up polices. Still life plays a bit more techno lot of the rest of the clubs are hip hop/pop. Lucky’s is more country. If you like a stand around bar with a good mix of mid 20’s “519’s” the place. Always crowded. If you are looking for something for an older crowd Tiebreakers or Chefs 505 has a lot of all age people but their not downtown.

Thanks ECU ..... The Mountaineers are excited to be in Pirate Land in 10 days !!!

It says a lot about the people running the ECU athletics that they set up this game.... and I RESPECT Mr. Holland and Holtz for the invite. This Philly APP fan is ready for some APP-Wooping(Wipping for my Yankee friends) this year !!! GO APP..........Kick A$$ !!!

Appinator
August 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Current word on Armanti is that he thinks he will be healed up enough to start running on Friday.....

biggie
August 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Current word on Armanti is that he thinks he will be healed up enough to start running on Friday.....
Hope that holds true. Apparently he (or the medical staff) have him on crutches sometimes, but still doing some things in practice. A wierd situation.

ericsaid
August 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Eric I would imagine your sample size is somewhat limited simply b/c you are in contact with mainly freshmen and ECU is a large school with far more students than you are able to survey about their interest in the Appalachian game. I am sure the students will turn out and be quite excited for the start of football season. This is also an athletic rival not academic.

An athletic rivalry from the 70's yes. But most students here don't recognize it as that really. The sample size you are right about as the majority of the students i'm sure are ready for football season but as of right now everyone i've come in contact with really talk more of UNC and Virginia Tech.

Some still thought we were playing State this year.xnonono2x

Either way, i'm an App fan but if Armanti doesn't play this game could get ugly. Seeing the ECU's spring game and seeing their defensive line. App will have a tough time moving the ball down the field. The holes for the running game will more than likely not be there and the speed of ECU's defense on the edge will contain App's attempt to run.

The passing game will take a hit because judging by the Fan Fest and how App's own dline did against their oline, the quarterback will not have enough time to let the recievers create seperation.

Prediction: 31-10 ECU

Aho_Old_Guy
August 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
~~snip~~

As far as bars there are tons of college bars downtown ...

Is the Elbo Room still there ? I have a fuzzy recollection of participating in a Halloween riot in that general vicinity - lost a nice pewter bracelet in the 'festivities' (it was a '70s thang).

I'm hoping the statute of limitations has run its course on that one xwhistlex

ECU
August 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM
It says a lot about the people running the ECU athletics that they set up this game.... and I RESPECT Mr. Holland and Holtz for the invite.
You'll really respect this: Did you know after we moved the NCSU game & were looking for a replacement, that Holland said publicly he turned down a home and home with Oklahoma to play App?

That ticked off a lot of our fans as you can imagine but the issue was we would have had to travel there this year and they returned in 2013. He didn't want to give up a home game this year. You guys have been asking for a while & we needed a home game so this game makes sense.

I hope he plays, I want your best shot, I don't want any excuses xpeacex. Chances are it's going to be a while before we play again and these should be a couple of our best teams.

An athletic rivalry from the 70's yes. But most students here don't recognize it as that really. The sample size you are right about as the majority of the students i'm sure are ready for football season but as of right now everyone i've come in contact with really talk more of UNC and Virginia Tech.

UNC and VT play in BCS conferences and are in the top 25. That's only reasonable. The App game is still intriguing to most knowledgeable fans. We haven't played a D1aa/FCS in years and I'm interested to see just where you guys measure up. You talk about us running our mouths but I've heard a lot of crap about how you don't get your due the last few years & where yu should rank in the state etc. You got a shot to make a statment about being one of the best teams in the state

ericsaid
August 25th, 2009, 11:10 PM
You'll really respect this: Did you know after we moved the NCSU game & were looking for a replacement, that Holland said publicly he turned down a home and home with Oklahoma to play App?

That ticked off a lot of our fans as you can imagine but the issue was we would have had to travel there this year and they returned in 2013. He didn't want to give up a home game this year. You guys have been asking for a while & we needed a home game so this game makes sense.

I hope he plays, I want your best shot, I don't want any excuses xpeacex. Chances are it's going to be a while before we play again and these should be a couple of our best teams.

UNC and VT play in BCS conferences and are in the top 25. That's only reasonable. The App game is still intriguing to most knowledgeable fans. We haven't played a D1aa/FCS in years and I'm interested to see just where you guys measure up. You talk about us running our mouths but I've heard a lot of crap about how you don't get your due the last few years & where yu should rank in the state etc. You got a shot to make a statment about being one of the best teams in the state

I've been one of the people on the App side saying App was the best in the state until I started spending my money to come to Greenville. It should be a good measuring stick for both programs but it's not the biggest game on our schedule. Honestly i'd be happier to see App win just because i've been to the national championship games and all play off games and almost all home games the past three years.

Should be a good time.xpeacex

appmaj
August 26th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Do you have any source for this? I seen this on the ECU boards but no one has anything to back it up.

ECU
August 26th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Source? how about audio straight from the horses mouth (Terry Holland)?

http://www.pirateradio1250.com/pod/special/terryholland100608.mp3

it's a little before half way.

not liars bro.

I was in the camp that would have rather had Oklahoma in our stadium in 2013 even if we had to go there this year & only had 5 home games. That said Holland knows what he is doing, & I'd still give him an A+ on scheduling.

Is the Elbo Room still there ? I have a fuzzy recollection of participating in a Halloween riot in that general vicinity - lost a nice pewter bracelet in the 'festivities' (it was a '70s thang).

I'm hoping the statute of limitations has run its course on that one xwhistlex

Elbo room was around until about 10 years ago, some crappy bar now. That was the first bar I ever wondered into myself as an 18 year old freshman. They had penny draft that night.

appmaj
August 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM

not liars bro.

Slow down there champ...No one was called a liar. I simply stated that there was nothing on the boards shown to back it up...

Thanks for the info none the less.

Terry puts a pretty good spin on NC State not wanting to play ECU.

ECU
August 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Terry puts a pretty good spin on NC State not wanting to play ECU.
Yep & he's followed up with, "let's not be like NCSU" to sell this App game in the ticket packages. Like I said he knows what he is doing, & is one of the best AD's in the nation.

What he didn't say about State in that interview, that later came out in the N & O after Fowler ran his mouth & forced a little of the cat out the bag, was that he is working on a deal with the NCSU & UNC AD's that would have either NC State or UNC on the schedule for the next 30 years, rotating every other year on a home and home basis. That was part of moving the NCSU game as well agree in part to.

KiddBrewer
August 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM

not liars bro.

I was in the camp that would have rather had Oklahoma in our stadium in 2013 even if we had to go there this year & only had 5 home games. That said Holland knows what he is doing, & I'd still give him an A+ on scheduling.

Elbo room was around until about 10 years ago, some crappy bar now. That was the first bar I ever wondered into myself as an 18 year old freshman. They had penny draft that night.

we like things to be cited before they are considered fact around here, bro.

ECU
August 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
& what if that radio archive wasn't there? You guys obviously wouldn't have believed me because getting a program like Oklahoma to do a home and home with a team outside the BCS is so far out of most fans reality. Yet we have quite a few more impressive long term impressive deals on the books IMO thanks to Holland. It should have been believable even without documentation.

appmaj
August 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
& what if that radio archive wasn't there? You guys obviously wouldn't have believed me because getting a program like Oklahoma to do a home and home with a team outside the BCS is so far out of most fans reality. Yet we have quite a few more impressive long term impressive deals on the books IMO thanks to Holland. It should have been believable even without documentation.

Look at OU's recent schedules:

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/seasons.html

They are not making a lot of trips east of the mississippi to play @C-USA. I'm not saying that they should or should not.

They have been to the east coast 1 time OOC vs. Alabama.
The rest of their OOC away games have been vs. PAC-10 teams.
There is on exception and that was @ Air Force.

Stoops & Co. would be more likey to buy out that 2013 away game than to actually play it.

ericsaid
August 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Still would be exciting to see them on the schedule.

appmaj
August 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Still would be exciting to see them on the schedule.

For which of your teams?

KiddBrewer
August 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM

as a history major, ive been molded to know that nothing can be considered truth without documentation.

just because somethings believable or plausible because a mass number of people said it doesnt mean you shouldnt ask to see it stated somewhere. How else would Wikipedia be such a big thing

http://spring.newsvine.com/_news/2006/08/01/307864-stephen-colbert-causes-chaos-on-wikipedia-gets-blocked-from-site

if i got 100 people to write on the internet that the word is Appalachian is moving to C-USA in 2012 (for instance) somebody would believe it, and tell more people, and they would tell more people, etc.

appmaj
August 26th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Did you hear that Appalachian is moving to C-USA in 2012!!!?!!!

ECU
August 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Stoops & Co. would be more likely to buy out that 2013 away game than to actually play it.
While there are always clauses to get out these contracts, it's rare they are used.

The reality is AD's don't like to be left hanging & scrambling for a game late. They don't do it to others unless there is a very good reason because it doesn't go unnoticed by other AD's. This is the same community of people they have to work to cut deals with & may even be looking for a job with in the future. It also would hurt their leverage when they are dealing too if they haven't honored arrangements in the past. MUCH MUCH more reasonable to believe they would honor the commitment.

Now if you got some rampant proof or any proof for that matter of Oklahoma's AD canceling commitments I'd love to see it, otherwise this is just a baseless rationalization to help you piece it into your reality of how we could get a team like that to agree to a home and home with us.

It's not really that hard to believe with some of our other deals. We'll have a stadium as large as many BCS teams next year & we'll fill it up. We'll pay & they'd have no reason not to come. I doubt they'd be scared...

DG Cowboy
August 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM
If App is at least within 3 to start the 4th, they will win.

kirkblitz
August 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
2 questions:

1: whats the date/time of the game?

2: will it be on tv?

biggie
August 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
2 questions:

9/5/09, Noon

MASN TV, DirecTV carries it.

ASUMountaineer
August 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
2 questions:

September 5/ 12 noon

MASN

There you go.

biggie
August 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Still sticking with 90% of ECU fans think they are the greast team in the world. I've been enjoying some reading, this should get somethings to talk about for 8 more days. These are just a few from one "thread" on their board. A few over there have even called out the rest for being arrogant after a couple years of success.

Again, not all are bad, some have been on here and the MMB and help out with travel/etc.

Is anyone else hyped as usual for the football season to start, but
just disappointed that our first game is against a team like App St.?
I just don't have that fire like I've had in the past. App St. simply
does not impress me.

I know I know....I hope the team doesn't feel like me...blah blah...!

There I said it.......Blast away!!!

Go Pirates!!!

Great first game, has in state intrest & appeal, sellout & app thinks...
they are going to beat us

Don't hurt in-State recruiting either.......

If we are after a kid that is undecided between us and App, then I say we are in a very bad situation recruiting wise. If we lose a kid to
App, then we are back to the JT years.

Like their QB ???

You mean that glorified DB/WR wanna be M Vick without the dogs?

No, I'd rather be playing any one of the 119 other D-1 programs.

Oh, so just to say we don't play D1AA. Still does nothing but help in the big picture. This game by selling out will bring more to ECU than
over half of D1A teams. Guess we should have started out playing
Oklahoma in Norman to prove we play the best. Then we could have
started out 0-1 and deflated.

So now we can pump our chest after whipping a midgets arse??

You going to hang 70 on that midget ?

ASUG8
August 27th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Funny stuff - I guess they think they're SEC quality now. Hangin' 70 on us xnonox

biggie
August 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Apparently ESPN 'comments' is where most of the dbags from both sides are posting. They must be reading there. Because I've seen no where else that App fans think they'll win easily. Most of use want to believe we have a chance, and I think like every game there is a chance, but most of us don't expect to win.

I haven't even posted all of the almost every 30 min update of another AE lawnmower joke that they post there.

kirkblitz
August 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
There you go.

Thanks! xthumbsupx

appmaj
August 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Now if you got some rampant proof or any proof for that matter of Oklahoma's AD canceling commitments I'd love to see it, otherwise this is just a baseless rationalization to help you piece it into your reality of how we could get a team like that to agree to a home and home with us.

So NOW you understand where I am coming from...xreadx

ericsaid
August 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
For which of your teams?

Probably more so for ECU. After seeing what OU did to Chatty last year. Them playing any FCS team just seems unfair.

ECU
August 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM
So NOW you understand where I am coming from...xreadx

Well played xsmileyclapx

....but I had some ;)

KiddBrewer
August 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
"Now if you got some rampant proof or any proof for that matter of Oklahoma's AD canceling commitments I'd love to see it, otherwise this is just a baseless rationalization to help you piece it into your reality of how we could get a team like that to agree to a home and home with us."

hahaha you walked right into that one

rOryOs-ASU
August 27th, 2009, 06:40 PM
anyone have a link to the ECU message board???

Appinator
August 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
anyone have a link to the ECU message board???

google search boneyard banter

crappiest.

message board.

ever.

ECU
August 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
hey now, something we can actually agree on about old yeller. Not sure why our fan base insist on flocking to that dinosaur in droves when we have both rivals and scout boards. People get stuck in what they have always known I guess, and that board has been around since the birth of the Internet pretty much in the same form. You're Delphi board isn't much of a step up though. 2nd crappiest board on the net.xthumbsupx

Appinator
August 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
hey now, something we can actually agree on about old yeller. Not sure why our fan base insist on flocking to that dinosaur in droves when we have both rivals and scout boards. People get stuck in what they have always known I guess, and that board has been around since the birth of the Internet pretty much in the same form. You're Delphi board isn't much of a step up though. 2nd crappiest board on the net.xthumbsupx

The Delphi board is still readable though..... I haven't ever posted there, but you can at least follow conversations and it is well maintained.

This time next week, I will be bouncing off the walls in my office and then bolting right at 5 for the coast.

Are they charging for the mall lot? I didn't know and my group was thinking about getting out there by like 7 or 8 for some brews and bojangles.

biggie
August 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
The Delphi board is still readable though..... I haven't ever posted there, but you can at least follow conversations and it is well maintained.

This time next week, I will be bouncing off the walls in my office and then bolting right at 5 for the coast.

Are they charging for the mall lot? I didn't know and my group was thinking about getting out there by like 7 or 8 for some brews and bojangles.
Heard the mall lot will open at 8am and is $5-$10 that go to local Boyscouts.

Appinator
August 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Heard the mall lot will open at 8am and is $5-$10 that go to local Boyscouts.

That is actually pretty cool that it doesn't go directly into the school's or mall's pocket. Good for the local boyscouts.

Appinator
August 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
ECU - Any update on who your starting running back will be? From what I read in a few places, it looked like it was still up in the air, any insights?

According to this mornings "Around the Mountain", Armanti participated in light practice yesterday with 7-on-7 drills. Previous interviews had him projecting to work on game conditioning today. Sounding better and better with every day.

ECU
August 28th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I haven't really been following close but I'd guess Lindsey starts. He's a senior &'s been around forever & that's normally Skip's MO to reward the seniors. He's stayed injured most of his career, but played since he was a freshman & was actually was ahead of Chris Johnson on the depth chart at times a couple years ago before injuries. Sounds like he is having a big pre-season, read he caught a 40 yard TD pass in the last workouts.

I'm sure you'll see Williams too but he was suspended and Holtz said he was starting at the bottom and would have to work his way up. Looks like last year leading rusher Whitley is still banged up as well as another senior in Rodgers so you probably don't see as much if any of them. Then there is the Kentucky transfer that was the top guy in the spring that they will want to get broken in.

I'd guess

Lindsey starts
Williams gets a lot of carries.
Jackson gets some carries and if the game is in hand a lot to finish it off.

Probably a lot of 2 back.

ASUG8
August 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I haven't really been following close but I'd guess Lindsey starts. He's a senior &'s been around forever & that's normally Skip's MO to reward the seniors. He's stayed injured most of his career, but played since he was a freshman & was actually was ahead of Chris Johnson on the depth chart at times a couple years ago before injuries. Sounds like he is having a big pre-season, read he caught a 40 yard TD pass in the last workouts.

I'm sure you'll see Williams too but he was suspended and Holtz said he was starting at the bottom and would have to work his way up. Looks like last year leading rusher Whitley is still banged up as well as another senior in Rodgers so you probably don't see as much of the. Then there is the Kentucky transfer that was the top guy in the spring I expect will get a lot of snaps to get broken in.

I'd guess

Lindsey starts

I was fine with you until those three words......xnonono2x

Appinator
August 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM

I'm sure you'll see Williams too but he was suspended and Holtz said he was starting at the bottom and would have to work his way up. Looks like last year leading rusher Whitley is still banged up as well as another senior in Rodgers so you probably don't see as much if any of them. Then there is the Kentucky transfer that was the top guy in the spring that they will want to get broken in.

I'd guess

Lindsey starts

Like pro formations or two back shotgun formations?

SoCon48
August 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Got a better authority on the subject than a 50+ year old pioneer publication that's the best known in pop culture on the topic & synonymous for beautiful women? Feel free to throw it out. I kind of think it's the standard on the subject myself.

that info came from the Carnige Institute.

Did I say ECU was a top academic school? I must have missed that part. What I recall was some one was just comparing the schools, and Ivy league neither of us are. BTW not sure when having both ranked hot girls that like to party became a bad thing. Maybe for you mountian boys it is that like to make ned beaty look-a-likes squill like a pigs xthumbsupx.

Now if eventually you could get your undergraduate programs up to 6th in the NC university system.

FormerPokeCenter
August 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
This may have been asked and answered already, but is there any streaming internet video of App State games available online, particularly this one?

biggie
August 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
This may have been asked and answered already, but is there any streaming internet video of App State games available online, particularly this one?

GoASU will have the radio call of the game being streamed (audio is free). But due to contractual issues with TV networks they can't stream video of a game on certain networks (MASN, ESPN, SportsSouth, etc).

You'd need to find someone/somewhere with DirecTV to watch it on MASN.

Appinator
August 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM

There is via GoAsu.com with a subscription or purchasing a single game. You can also probably get it on satellite because it will be on MASN

ericsaid
August 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM

I'd guess

Lindsey starts

Brandon Jackson from Kentucky is the real deal. I saw him at the spring game against the first team defense and he was doing better than any other back against the second team defense. I think he should be starting but he probably won't be for the first game.

ECU
August 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Appnator, pro formations. We’ve ran a lot of 2 tight ends, lot of 2 backs the last couple years & traditional stuff. My guess is we don’t get to cute in this game & just try to pound it down your throat.

We ran some of the stuff early you do a couple years ago with Pinkney until Chris Johnson emerged & we didn’t have to, but last year it was pretty much all traditional & I think they didn’t want Pinkney to run and risk getting hurt. I expect more of the same this year.

Brandon Jackson from Kentucky is the real deal. I saw him at the spring game against the first team defense and he was doing better than any other back against the second team defense. I think he should be starting but he probably won't be for the first game.

He looked good, but I still think Williams is the most talented. Guys the next NFL back from ECU if he gets his off the field act together. He has Chris Johnson level potiental.

RB is the deep.

Lindsey Sr,(was ahead of Chris Johnson as a fr & soph before injuries)
Williams Jr (ran all over WVU and VT before suspended)
Whitley Jr (leading rusher last year after all the injuries)
Jackson So (kentucky transfer, top in the spring)
Rodgers SR (fastest RB on the team got carries in the bowl)
Ruffin Jr (215lb JUCO transfer)

ericsaid
August 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
And guess who the starter is? Brandon Jackson!xnodxxnodx

I'm a little psychic.

McNeese72
August 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Jay,

If you are going to be down in L.C. Saturday, come visit us at our tailgate area. I'm sure we will have it on.

Doc

Appinator
August 31st, 2009, 07:54 AM
IT'S GAME WEEK-

http://www.nmnathletics.com/AudioArchives.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=21500&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=21500&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

According to this morning's "Around the Mountain" on GoAsu, Armanti will be participating in full practice this afternoon. If he has a full week to get his "lungs" back and has been reviewing all game tape like normal, I think we might see him back up to around 98% by Saturday.

Bring on the W

ECU
August 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
And guess who the starter is? Brandon Jackson!xnodxxnodx

I'm a little psychic.

True but doesn't tell the whole story.

Our depth chart says we will play 2 backs.

Lindsey is the other starting back & who I expect to get most of the carries.

Williams isn't getting the start &'s still being punished some I expect.

Whitley and Rodgers are still banged up.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ecu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart.pdf

Lot of size

ericsaid
August 31st, 2009, 08:48 AM
True but doesn't tell the whole story.

Our depth chart says we will play 2 backs.

Lindsey is the other starting back & who I expect to get most of the carries.

Williams isn't getting the start &'s still being punished some I expect.

Whitley and Rodgers are still banged up.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ecu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart.pdf

Lot of size

Yeah Brandon Jackson is good enough from what I saw to be the feature back though. He was a head above everyone else as far as keeping his balance after being hit and then picking his speed right back up.

Either way now there are two good backs. As for this game, who knows.

SoCon48
August 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah Brandon Jackson is good enough from what I saw to be the feature back though. He was a head above everyone else as far as keeping his balance after being hit and then picking his speed right back up.

Either way now there are two good backs. As for this game, who knows.

You really ought to think about changing your avatar. You seem more loyal to and knowlegeable about EZU than ASU.

biggie
August 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM
You really ought to think about changing your avatar. You seem more loyal to and knowlegeable about EZU than ASU.
Think this is the consensus now.

ericsaid
August 31st, 2009, 10:31 AM

Me being more knowledgable about ECU is just impossible. I've been follwing App State football just as hard as any and I mean any other App poster on the message bored.

I went to ECU's spring game and saw Brandon Jackson run and he looked like the better two runningbacks.

Now I could tell you about Loius Swaba who is in the two deep that you had never heard of until maybe a month ago. Brad Hardee same way. I could read you the depth chart of ASU without seeing it. I could tell you Armanti's stats for the Richmond game a year and a half ago or how many yards he rushed for against the Citadel as a sophomore having not looked at it for two years.

This is an FCS message bored so me putting an ECU avatar up wouldn't make any sense especially when i'm here as an App fan. Sorry for not saying App is going to kill ECU like all the other Appalachian homers out there.

xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxmadx

ericsaid
August 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM
Think this is the consensus now.

Ok now i'll say it. I guess going to three NC games as well as only missing one home game last year because of a marching competition but still managing to follow it on the radio. Listening to or being at everyother game including the App Wofford game in which I went up by myself being 17 and stayed the whole game by myself. Then not missing a playoff game since 06' and maybe three home games total makes me Anti App.

Maybe the other people are right, either your for App or against them theres no medium to you all. But i'm here to tell you that there is a medium and i'm it.

SoCon48
August 31st, 2009, 10:45 AM
Ok now i'll say it. I guess going to three NC games as well as only missing one home game last year because of a marching competition but still managing to follow it on the radio. Listening to or being at everyother game including the App Wofford game in which I went up by myself being 17 and stayed the whole game by myself. Then not missing a playoff game since 06' and maybe three home games total makes me Anti App.

Maybe the other people are right, either your for App or against them theres no medium to you all. But i'm here to tell you that there is a medium and i'm it.

Can't tell it from reading your posts. They would fit in on the ECU boards just as well.

Jag4Life
August 31st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Give em hell Appy.

Saint3333
August 31st, 2009, 11:31 AM
I have no problem with an ECU student who grew up being an ASU fan pulling for ECU. If all those ASU students that grew up as UNC-CH or Duke fans would take this attitude towards ASU basketball we'd average more than 3K per home game...

ECU
August 31st, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'd imagine he'll fully convert in the next couple years after the crazy atmosphere of a few home games vs Virgina Tech, North Carolina, West Virginia, NC State etc especially when we beat them.

DX Man
August 31st, 2009, 11:39 AM
I'd imagine he'll fully convert in the next couple years after the crazy atmosphere of a few home games vs Virgina Tech, North Carolina, West Virginia, NC State etc especially when we beat them.

I can honestly say that I hope you win all those games!

ericsaid
August 31st, 2009, 01:24 PM
Can't tell it from reading your posts. They would fit in on the ECU boards just as well.

Sorry for being realistic. ASU's defense will be fine in the game, but honestly after watching LSU absolutely manhandle App last year(had tickets to the ECU Vatech game but stayed home to watch App) because of the dline-oline match-up. I don't see a very improved offense line in App this year and with three future draft picks on ECU's dline its going to be very very difficult for the quarterback to have time to let his recievers get open.

I've now seen both teams and as it should be the FBS is bigger and stronger. I'll leave out the faster because thats for the most part not true. Position by position App's players mtch up very well speed wise but the dline of ECU will just be too much.

Mario Acitelli against C.J. Wilson should be an interesting match up though.xnodx

However, if Armanti plays and Brian Quicks in the game. It all depends on which Brian Quick is gonna show up. If he shows up and does really well my entire post before this point could be very wrong.

ericsaid
August 31st, 2009, 01:35 PM

As I learn more about the traditions of ECU it's a sure thing, but after this game its a pointless arguement.

People just like to give other people a hard time and I wish I could say what I relly wanted on this message bored. But I think the fans should save trash talk for the game. That's really where it becomes fun.xthumbsupx

Appinator
August 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Our secondary is going to be the key here. We have to make the most on every passing down. We have the size, speed, and athleticism that even most FBS teams would be jealous of in our back 7. If we are able to get one or two ints in the game, it will negate their o-line advantage that they have over us.

Mike Hart had no problem putting together some gem runs when we played against UM, but it was when Minor came in and they had less confidence in their running game that turned the outcome in our favor. From what I have seen, ECU's "depth" at running back, looks more like no one has really distinguished themselves as the clear cut #1 guy. If they don't get the yards they expected out of the back field early in the game and they switch their play mix up to around 40% running - 60% passing, we are in great shape IMO.

Skjellyfetti
August 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Our secondary is going to be the key here. We have to make the most on every passing down. We have the size, speed, and athleticism that even most FBS teams would be jealous of in our back 7. If we are able to get one or two ints in the game, it will negate their o-line advantage that they have over us.

Mike Hart had no problem putting together some gem runs when we played against UM, but it was when Minor came in and they had less confidence in their running game that turned the outcome in our favor. From what I have seen, ECU's "depth" at running back, looks more like no one has really distinguished themselves as the clear cut #1 guy. If they don't get the yards they expected out of the back field early in the game and they switch their play mix up to around 40% running - 60% passing, we are in great shape IMO.

Good analysis. xthumbsupx

I CAN'T WAIT!!

ericsaid
August 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM

Asking for two interceptions against someone that you may potentially can't get any pressure on is hard enough but a sixth year quarterback should be seasonaed enough to avoid that.

The advantage ECU has in this game is the oline, if you look at the depth chart you'll see why, so I can't see them shifting more to the pass because of what you said about App's secondary.

The only thing that would scare me is Jared Reine starting. In his start last year he didn't look like the quality of player that App is putting up at everyother position which will be a weak point.

Skjellyfetti
August 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Holtz press conference:
http://www.eastcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=982443

Classy guy.

ericsaid
August 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
I was just about to post that same thing.

elon77
August 31st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Asking for two interceptions against someone that you may potentially can't get any pressure on is hard enough but a sixth year quarterback should be seasonaed enough to avoid that.

The advantage ECU has in this game is the oline, if you look at the depth chart you'll see why, so I can't see them shifting more to the pass because of what you said about App's secondary.

The only thing that would scare me is Jared Reine starting. In his start last year he didn't look like the quality of player that App is putting up at everyother position which will be a weak point.

will the qb get a 7th and 8th year?xconfusedx

Saint3333
August 31st, 2009, 02:36 PM
ASU will get pressure on the QB. ECU's strength is their defense, I'm much more concerned about how ASU's o-line matches up (especially due to depth) than our d-line match-up.

I think this is going to be a lower scoring game than many have predicted.

Appinator
August 31st, 2009, 03:04 PM

I think it's entirely possible. As bad as we played against LSU, we still had a pick in that game too. As much as you would like to build up Pinkney, he ended his regular season throwing at least one int in his lat three regular season games. He might be good enough to designate Kass to the TE position, but when you have a guy that picks off 11 passes last year like LeGree, he can still have a bad game.

Holtz press conference:

Classy guy.

While he is a classy guy, it lets us know how they are prepping for this game, which is a little dissheartening. Nothing will be a surprise for this defense, because they respect ASU and play a number of schools that run wide open offenses.

Looking at how the WVU and Houston games ended, I really think we need to use our passing game en-mass. Spreading the field, focusing on the short to intermediate passing game to move the ball with a few draws mixed in, will take away the only clear advantage that they have on the defensive side of the ball. WVU only passed 18 times, which really played to ECU's strength. Houston aired it out much more and was able to move the ball effectively.

The argument hear is pressure, that we will need time to throw. That's not the case if you are running 4 wide sets or three 3 wide with Jorden in the slot. You cannot safely send LBs in blitz packages safely, without leaving someone open with those sets. If we pass enough to put them in softer zone coverages, it will really allow us to run more effectively, and thus remove their advantage like Houston did.

KiddBrewer
August 31st, 2009, 03:07 PM

I've been a Duke fan my entire life, dont miss a game....but if App basketball was playing Duke, I would without question pull for Appalachian in that game. 1) because it would mean so much more to App than Duke, 2) because I pay Appalachian money, and 3) because as an Appalachian State student, I am part of the school and athletic community....it only seems right. So, with that said, I really do understand your stance on the issue, and I think you can call yourself "in between" without hesitationxcoffeexxthumbsupx

biggie
August 31st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Was shocked that I saw Mr Cupcake himself ("Herbskreet"), picked Southern Miss as the C-USA Champion this year. Bet that doesn't have some purple pirates too happy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview09/news/story?id=4432441

Skjellyfetti
August 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I've been a Duke fan my entire life, dont miss a game....but if App basketball was playing Duke, I would without question pull for Appalachian in that game. 1) because it would mean so much more to App than Duke, 2) because I pay Appalachian money, and 3) because as an Appalachian State, I am part of the school and athletic community....it only seems right. So, with that said, I really do understand your stance on the issue, and I think you can call yourself "in between" without hesitationxcoffeexxthumbsupx

That's the key, though.

KiddBrewer
August 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM
That's the key, though.

yea, because its my school.....ECU is ericsaid's school now......so i can see his POV

KiddBrewer
August 31st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Holtz press conference:

Classy guy.

i think i might have a man crush on Skip Holtz, hahahxbowx

ericsaid
August 31st, 2009, 03:38 PM
I think it's entirely possible. As bad as we played against LSU, we still had a pick in that game too. As much as you would like to build up Pinkney, he ended his regular season throwing at least one int in his lat three regular season games. He might be good enough to designate Kass to the TE position, but when you have a guy that picks off 11 passes last year like LeGree, he can still have a bad game.

While he is a classy guy, it lets us know how they are prepping for this game, which is a little dissheartening. Nothing will be a surprise for this defense, because they respect ASU and play a number of schools that run wide open offenses.

Looking at how the WVU and Houston games ended, I really think we need to use our passing game en-mass. Spreading the field, focusing on the short to intermediate passing game to move the ball with a few draws mixed in, will take away the only clear advantage that they have on the defensive side of the ball. WVU only passed 18 times, which really played to ECU's strength. Houston aired it out much more and was able to move the ball effectively.

The argument hear is pressure, that we will need time to throw. That's not the case if you are running 4 wide sets or three 3 wide with Jorden in the slot. You cannot safely send LBs in blitz packages safely, without leaving someone open with those sets. If we pass enough to put them in softer zone coverages, it will really allow us to run more effectively, and thus remove their advantage like Houston did.

I didn't mean to build him up but he completed over 80% of his passes against Virginia Tech and West Virginia last year so he's very capable. The offensive line will just be hard to get around to get as much pressure as you'd like on him.

ECU
August 31st, 2009, 11:07 PM
I didn't mean to build him up but he completed over 80% of his passes against Virginia Tech and West Virginia last year so he's very capable. The offensive line will just be hard to get around to get as much pressure as you'd like on him.

Yep. That's when he had Jamar Bryant & Dwayne Harris to throw to, who are 2 of the top 3 WR's we have had this decade, forget the best two last year. They were both out after mid season & his only real target left was the TE, Drew, & a couple freshman WR's one of which we had to pull the redshirt. Pinkney has a far greater issue with the fumbles.

As far as the secondary. We've had some secondary issues the last couple years breaking in young guys, but this year should be a great year. Eskridge is a first day NFL saftey. Davis was a freshman all american (& he is 2nd team) & an NC State transfer Levin Neal is new back there. Rick Smith has also been rated one of the best secondary coaches in the nation.

Everyone talks about our Dline, but we got some players all over the defense. Nick Johnson was a 1st team All American SR Linebacker by NBC, & their are a couple other senior starters at LB too.

Appinator
September 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Yep. That's when he had Jamar Bryant & Dwayne Harris to throw to, who are 2 of the top 3 WR's we have had this decade, forget the best two last year. They were both out after mid season & his only real target left was the TE, Drew, & a couple freshman WR's one of which we had to pull the redshirt. Pinkney has a far greater issue with the fumbles.

As far as the secondary. We've had some secondary issues the last couple years breaking in young guys, but this year should be a great year. Eskridge is a first day NFL saftey. Davis was a freshman all american (& he is 2nd team) & an NC State transfer Levin Neal is new back there. Rick Smith has also been rated one of the best secondary coaches in the nation.

Everyone talks about our Dline, but we got some players all over the defense. Nick Johnson was a 1st team All American SR Linebacker by NBC, & their are a couple other senior starters at LB too.

If the top two out of three receivers in ECU history are these two guys, we will be OK. Harris only had one game where he had more than 100 yards receiving last year and only caught ONE touchdown and he played in 10 games. Bryant, while only playing in five games, never had a game where he caught more than 5 passes in 2008 and has only done it 2 twice in his career (he will be a Sr.)!

While I want to try and break down your secondary, I never have fully seen them play. On all of the highlight reels from last year, of the back 7, Johnson was the guy that stood out. Before looking up that guys name, I knew that number 44 was going to cause problems for us. However, if we are picking our poisons here, I would much rather deal with your secondary than try to break through that D-line....

ECU
September 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM
If the top two out of three receivers in ECU history are these two guys, we will be OK.
I said this decade bro. They are probably 2 out of the top 4 actually though, because I forgot about Terrance Copper. Andre Allison was the other. Both of those guys are still in the NFL BTW & Bryant will likely be in the NFL next year as well. Harris has a smaller chance.

Talent not stats. Stats really don't really mean jack. #1 stats are never apples to apples actually they are quite worthless when you consider some teams play a lot tougher SOS, the quality of other players around them, & some teams play more conservative. Graham Harrell could throw for 5000+ yards every year & did it get him drafted, did he win the heisman? Nah. Brett Farve played in a conservative USM offense & did little in the way of stats, did that make David Kingler who holds a ton of stats records the same year more talented? Look them up.

Harris only had one game where he had more than 100 yards receiving last year and only caught ONE touchdown and he played in 10 games.
You'd have to watch the guy play to understand what makes him special. We'd throw him nothing but little safe latteral passes and he would get 10 yards on his own pretty much every time. Probably one of the shiftest most agile guys in the nation. He not the fastest but he can consistantly make things happen in a big way from nothing.

Bryant, while only playing in five games, never had a game where he caught more than 5 passes in 2008 and has only done it 2 twice in his career (he will be a Sr.)!

2008 was when we had Chris Johnson, why'd we need to throw it that much? Jamar Bryant is a 6-2, 220 WR, that was a 4 star player who originally commited to Georgia. He was our leading WR in 2008, & a projected draft pick until he got suspended. I expect he's stock will go back up by the end of the year.

JMU Newbill
September 1st, 2009, 07:53 AM
ECU just give it up. You are obviously over matched. In case you are not aware of how AGS works, no one is better than App State... not even the Dallas Cowboys.

EmeryZach
September 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM
How many tickets have sold to App State fans for this game? Are there any records of that anywhere?

I would imagine it would be around 10,000.

ECU
September 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
Dwayne Harris xthumbsupx xeekx

http://bluewaterpirate.phanfare.com/4087398_4517036#imageID=73581566

http://bluewaterpirate.phanfare.com/4087398_4484649#imageID=31014966

biggie
September 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
How many tickets have sold to App State fans for this game? Are there any records of that anywhere?

I would imagine it would be around 10,000.
App was alloted 5k, sold that.

No way of knowing how many App fans got tickets through ECU, one way or another. Everyone is guessing 7k total.

Appinator
September 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM
I said this decade bro. They are probably 2 out of the top 4 actually though, because I forgot about Terrance Copper. Andre Allison was the other. Both of those guys are still in the NFL BTW & Bryant will likely be in the NFL next year as well. Harris has a smaller chance.

Come on, the term "bro" went out of style with hammer pants, when you say that it makes you sound like the guy from the "new haircut" youtube video. If you don't know that I am talking about, look it up, it's funny. I am glad we can step it up a little here, IT"S GAME WEEK FOR GODSAKES.

These guys might have speed and agility, but look where that got Dexter Jackson (i.e. not very far). I wish them the very best in their pro endeavors, but it just doesn't look that promising with their college numbers. It's always good to see someone surprise you though....

Talent not stats. Stats really don't really mean jack. #1 stats are never apples to apples actually they are quite worthless when you consider some teams play a lot tougher SOS, the quality of other players around them, & some teams play more conservative. Graham Harrell could throw for 5000+ yards every year & did it get him drafted, did he win the heisman? Nah. Brett Farve played in a conservative USM offense & did little in the way of stats, did that make David Kingler who holds a ton of stats records the same year more talented? Look them up.

Stats really don't mean jack unless you care what the final score is. Those 5000+ yards that Graham put up came along with a large number of W's. Those years where Farve was at Southern Miss might have displayed his talent, but Farve had a lower winning pecentage and Graham won more bowl games. Does that make Graham a better PRO QB, doesn't look like it. Does it make him a better COLLEGE QB, I would say so.

You'd have to watch the guy play to understand what makes him special. We'd throw him nothing but little safe latteral passes and he would get 10 yards on his own pretty much every time. Probably one of the shiftest most agile guys in the nation. He not the fastest but he can consistantly make things happen in a big way from nothing.

2008 was when we had Chris Johnson, why'd we need to throw it that much? Jamar Bryant is a 6-2, 220 WR, that was a 4 star player who originally commited to Georgia. He was our leading WR in 2008, & a projected draft pick until he got suspended. I expect he's stock will go back up by the end of the year.

I would have to agree that a strong running game is going to take away from your passing stats, but still, if he was as impressive of a wide reciever as your making him out to be, you would expect him to actually produce a little more.

As everyone on this board can attest, those stars that rivals assign to players are the real things that don't mean jack. Arbitrary to put it nicely.

Appinator
September 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Dwayne Harris xthumbsupx xeekx

http://bluewaterpirate.phanfare.com/4087398_4517036#imageID=73581566

http://bluewaterpirate.phanfare.com/4087398_4484649#imageID=31014966

Great videos by the way. Bluewaterpirate has been an awesome representitive of your school over on the MMB. I hope that tailgating with the rest of fans will be similar.

SideLine Shooter
September 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
ECU just give it up. You are obviously over matched. In case you are not aware of how AGS works, no one is better than App State... not even the Dallas Cowboys.

And I always thought it was GSU.xconfusedx

Black_Saturday
September 1st, 2009, 09:36 AM
I hear Armanti was back at full practice yesterday. Did ECU fans just wet themselves?

ericsaid
September 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
I hear Armanti was back at full practice yesterday. Did ECU fans just wet themselves?

Every ECU fan wants him to play. They say they don't like to hear excuses but that's great to hear. 4 more dayssxthumbsupx

appmaj
September 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Coach Moore says he is very doubtful that AE will play

biggie
September 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, doesn't look good for a couple things:

AE playing
Finding a parking spot

biggie
September 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM
Someone still has a little confidence in us, barely:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&page=dash0901&sportCat=ncf

C-USA (24)... Best chance to be upset: East Carolina at home against Appalachian State.

But in the same article, hatred again:

It's shameful that the 12 members of the most powerful league in the country have dotted their schedules with likes of Georgia Southern, Charleston Southern, Western Carolina, Appalachian State, Chattanooga, Texas State, Tennessee Tech and many others while ignoring their other Southern neighbors. There is ample opportunity to fill some of those spots with Jackson State, Grambling, Southern, Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Prairie View A&M, Mississippi Valley State, Texas Southern and Alcorn State.

Skjellyfetti
September 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM
But in the same article, hatred again:

I don't think it's hate toward the schools listed... just pointing out that the SEC doesn't mind scheduling FCS teams... but, has something against scheduling SWAC teams for some reason.

Eaglegus2
September 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Good luck Mountaineers in the East Carolina game. I sure hope that AE plays.

ECU
September 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Looks like ECU vs App is a hot ticket.

Some students even camping out.

http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1324&tid=131518732&mid=131518732&sid=1084&style=2

hey eric, you hear anything about the game this week xthumbsupx

ericsaid
September 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Looks like ECU vs App is a hot ticket.

Some students even camping out.

http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1324&tid=131518732&mid=131518732&sid=1084&style=2

hey eric, you hear anything about the game this week xthumbsupx

Haha, talk has picked up this week. Got my beat App St pin at the student store yesterday.