PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Allison's out at Chattanooga

NashMoc
October 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM
The Rodney Allison death watch is finally over. No coach in Chattanooga history has lost at the pace that RA did. The unfortunate thing is that UTC wasted a season before firing Allison. This should have been done after last year's 2-9 record. Instead our AD allowed Allison to have a lame duck season in which this team's performance has been abysmal. Good riddance Rodney.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oct/21/chattanooga-utc-football-coach-allison-out-after-s/?breakingnews

Any suggestions for quality replacements? There are few names going around the Mocs board, but I am curious to see what the FCS faithful come up with.

hippy@GSU
October 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Its about time. I sure hope you guys can get it straightened out in Chatty!!

appfan2008
October 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Good Luck to the successor... he will need it... this had to happen... glad to see you guys are finally moving on!

FCS Go!
October 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM
The Rodney Allison death watch is finally over. No coach in Chattanooga history has lost at the pace that RA did. The unfortunate thing is that UTC wasted a season before firing Allison. This should have been done after last year's 2-9 record. Instead our AD allowed Allison to have a lame duck season in which this team's performance has been abysmal. Good riddance Rodney.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oct/21/chattanooga-utc-football-coach-allison-out-after-s/?breakingnews

Any suggestions for quality replacements? There are few names going around the Mocs board, but I am curious to see what the FCS faithful come up with.

How about Fulmer? He'll be available soon. xlolx

No seriously. I'm completely serious. Really. xnodx

blazrdog#1
October 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM
nm

Eaglegus2
October 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Mike Sewak at Georgia tech and former Head Coach at Georgia Southern.

mcveyrl
October 21st, 2008, 01:03 PM
I heard Mickey Matthews was pretty sure he could take the talent at Chatty and AT LEAST finish second in the SoCon to App. :p

Appaholic
October 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM
Brain Van Gorder: Former GSU coach and Def coord at South Carolina.....xsmiley_wix

ericsaid
October 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
I heard James Madison is going to fall off of the poll this week, and the top three spots go to SoCon teams.

mcveyrl
October 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
I heard James Madison is going to fall off of the poll this week, and the top three spots go to SoCon teams.

Geezus, take a joke.

And if you're talking about the #1 spot, it's pole.

smallcollegefbfan
October 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM

Glad to see a change happen there. It is sad when another team in your league has more wins in 3 years than the hometown team does. Best of luck finding a replacement and hopefully they will get you guys competitive again soon!

WUTNDITWAA
October 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
I heard Mickey Matthews was pretty sure he could take the talent at Chatty and AT LEAST finish second in the SoCon to App. :p

Good one. xlolx

ASUG8
October 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM
I heard Mickey Matthews was pretty sure he could take the talent at Chatty and (while also coaching JMU) AT LEAST finish second in the SoCon to App. :p

Fixed it for you!xthumbsupx

Cocky
October 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM
Jack Crowe is good for getting a program turned around. He just can't put you in the championship arena. He would be a good 4 year coach then pickup a championship type coach.

FCS Go!
October 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
UTC should, and will,wait until the season is over, at least to name their finalists. I may have been joking about Fulmer (I doubt he'd take the job) but I'm pretty sure that Dave Clawson will be available by mid-December. What about DIIs in the Southeast? Valdosta St comes to mind.

NashMoc
October 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM
UTC should, and will,wait until the season is over, at least to name their finalists. I may have been joking about Fulmer (I doubt he'd take the job) but I'm pretty sure that Dave Clawson will be available by mid-December. What about DIIs in the Southeast? Valdosta St comes to mind.

Dave Clawson has been getting some run on the Mocs board, if Fulmer were to be let go. I would think he would be in demand by any number of FCS teams that may need a coach at the end of the year. He had good runs at his previous posts at Fordham and Richmond.

Other names of mention include Valdosta State's David Dean, North Alabama's Mark Hudspeth, Randy Sanders from UK, Carson Newman's Ken Sparks, the LB coach from App.

mcveyrl
October 21st, 2008, 01:52 PM
Dave Clawson has been getting some run on the Mocs board, if Fulmer were to be let go. I would think he would be in demand by any number of FCS teams that may need a coach at the end of the year. He had good runs at his previous posts at Fordham and Richmond.

Other names of mention include Valdosta State's David Dean, North Alabama's Mark Hudspeth, Randy Sanders from UK, Carson Newman's Ken Sparks, the LB coach from App.

Sparks would be a great pull for you guys and makes sense.

Also, Randy Sanders would IMMEDIATELY improve the recruiting in Tenn. Particularly given the way the Vols are fairing without him.

catdaddy2402
October 21st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Although there may be some negative feelings since Allison came from Clemson, if Clemson interim coach Dabo Swinney isn't retained in some fashion at the end of the year he'd be a good one.

GATA
October 21st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Brain Van Gorder: Former GSU coach and Def coord at South Carolina.....xsmiley_wix

You didn't hear? VanGorder was only at South Carolina for about a week! He left to go back to the Falcons and be the defensive coordinator for new head coach Mike Smith...

so yeah...basically VanGorder is a douchebag. :D

james_lawfirm
October 21st, 2008, 03:09 PM
Geezus, take a joke.

And if you're talking about the #1 spot, it's pole.

McVeyrl:
Go easy on Eric. He's just a young feller & don't know no better.

TTUEagles
October 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
Mike DuBose (former HC at Alabama). Is extremely successful at D-III Milsaps (Jackson, MS).
Just a blind guess...
Hudspeth (UNA) would be a steal...

placidlakegriz
October 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM

Montana State University's fired coach Mike Kramer still isn't working.

NashMoc
October 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
You didn't hear? VanGorder was only at South Carolina for about a week! He left to go back to the Falcons and be the defensive coordinator for new head coach Mike Smith...

so yeah...basically VanGorder is a douchebag. :D

Of course BVG wouldn't have the same opportunity to destroy 20+ years of winning tradition in one season down in Chattanooga.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM

They are looking for an improvement. They didn't say they wanted to go 0-11 next year....

Seven Would Be Nice
October 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hopefully you guys can turn your program around with the next coach and not cancel the program all together.

Franks Tanks
October 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Although there may be some negative feelings since Allison came from Clemson, if Clemson interim coach Dabo Swinney isn't retained in some fashion at the end of the year he'd be a good one.

The only position Dabo Sweeney will be retained for is Head Cheerleader.

TTUEagles
October 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Is Lane Kiffin (Oakland Raiders) a possibility? I thought he had some chattanooga ties...but, I'm too tired and lazy to try and research that right now.

jaxstatealum
October 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
Its about time. I sure hope you guys can get it straightened out in Chatty!!

Me too!! It's a great place to play and a great rivialry for JSU. I hope they get a good one, but I also hope he can't figure out how to beat the Cocks xwhistlex

NashMoc
October 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Mike DuBose (former HC at Alabama). Is extremely successful at D-III Milsaps (Jackson, MS).
Just a blind guess...
Hudspeth (UNA) would be a steal...

Hudspeth is my personal #1. He has coached at Div I-A, Div I-AA, Div II, high school and been successful everywhere. He has a phenomenal record at UNA. He is already familiar with the Southeast and recruiting in the region. He will have to make himself familiar with the Atlanta market if he's not already. He is coach on the rise, someone who could boost his stock by turning around a moribund Mocs football program.

Eaglesrus
October 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
No suggestions, but I'm glad for you guys that you're finally going to get a fresh start. Just remember to have a little patience with whoever the new guy turns out to be (although I believe that somebody went overboard on the patience with Allison, so that shouldn't be a problem). The good thing for the next coach is that in the early going he'll be able to show improvement with just minimal positive result, and any more will be gravy. I truly don't mean that as smack, and I hope you UTC guys get what I'm trying to say.

jaxstatealum
October 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
No suggestions, but I'm glad for you guys that you're finally going to get a fresh start. Just remember to have a little patience with whoever the new guy turns out to be (although I believe that somebody went overboard on the patience with Allison, so that shouldn't be a problem). The good thing for the next coach is that in the early going he'll be able to show improvement with just minimal positive result, and any more will be gravy. I truly don't mean that as smack, and I hope you UTC guys get what I'm trying to say.

Good point and post Eaglesrus - they have a bunch of talent in Nooga. RA just never seemed to be able to put it all together. Whoever takes over will get some good kids with some experience so minimal positive result should be easy to achieve. If he can harness their emotion after the crap RA has put them through (losing so much) they will be good - I'd say almost overnight. Not top 25, but in most games every week.

blueballs
October 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM

I wouldn't wish him on anybody... weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, except maybe Furman..... (just kidding).

Seriously though, that walking talking sack of **** is wasting oxygen that could be used to support useful and honorable life forms and I wouldn't wish him on any body- even Furman.

OL FU
October 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't wish him on anybody... weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, except maybe Furman..... (just kidding).

Seriously though, that walking talking sack of **** is wasting oxygen that could be used to support useful and honorable life forms and I wouldn't wish him on any body- even Furman.

But we would have a cheer for him.xnodx

FU ALL THE TIMExthumbsupx

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2008, 04:20 PM

Wow, that's harsh, man! He must've really rubbed GSU folks the wrong way!

Anyway, I thought this might happen before the end of the year after seeing the Mocs play at Wofford and look the way they did. It was a neccessary move. Now the team can get a fresh start and a new outlook on things, and hopefully strt fielding a tough, competitive team. It would only make the SoCon a better conference.

blueballs
October 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Wow, that's harsh, man! He must've really rubbed GSU folks the wrong way!

This post qualifies as the understatement of the year...xlolx

BeauFoster
October 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM

Dale Jones is a great coach. He has ties to Tennessee (he played at UT). I would hate to see him leave.

PantherRob82
October 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
not suprising.

bobbythekidd
October 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
I have a name in mind but I am holding on to it for my own selfish reasons.

I would think that UTC already has a replacement in mind or under contract. If the new coach is currently between teams, it would be a huge jump to start scouting new players before all the other coaches even finish the season.

Baldy
October 21st, 2008, 06:20 PM
Tony Franklin. xeyebrowx

hoseman
October 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hate to see anyone lose their job but waiting for this to happen as rumor is, he did one of his players an injustice. RA recently dumped a scholarship athlete after a season ending injury which creates zero loyalty from the remaining players.

A tremendous replacement would be Coach Jeff Scott currently wide receiver coach at Clemson. Sparks is set to finish his career with CN then retire. There will be no problem finding a great replacement Head Coach for this program - they deserve a good one as they have no problem getting excellent talent - a new head coach will get them all on the same page and win a few.

Best of luck to the Mocs.

catamount man
October 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Randy Sanders from Kentucky
Hudspeth from UNA
Tony Ball from UGA, former Moc player

Hate it for RA and his family, but UTC is where WCU was during Briggs last 2 years. Hopefully UTC can land a good one.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
October 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
Randy Sanders from Kentucky
Hudspeth from UNA
Tony Ball from UGA, former Moc player

Hate it for RA and his family, but UTC is where WCU was during Briggs last 2 years. Hopefully UTC can land a good one.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Would have to think those are the top three candidates at this point.

catamount man
October 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Would have to think those are the top three candidates at this point.

You coming to the whee this week? I can get you into Gorham's tailgate if you need me to? Just let me know.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
October 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
You coming to the whee this week? I can get you into Gorham's tailgate if you need me to? Just let me know.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I'm coming as of right now i'll let you know something.

SideLine Shooter
October 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM

He would probably finish first. Unless, he runs 1 more play before kicking the field goal.

catamount man
October 21st, 2008, 09:32 PM
Vic Koenning, current Clemson DC and former Wyoming HC, and Terry Bowden have emerged as candidates per football scoop.xeekx

FCS Go!
October 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Vic Koenning, current Clemson DC and former Wyoming HC, and Terry Bowden have emerged as candidates per football scoop.xeekx

Is "football scoop" some kind of SoCon kitty litter?

As for Bowden I hope that is just a rumor. The idea here is to improve the program. TB is where they're already at.

catamount man
October 22nd, 2008, 06:29 AM
Is "football scoop" some kind of SoCon kitty litter?

As for Bowden I hope that is just a rumor. The idea here is to improve the program. TB is where they're already at.

www.footballscoop.com

walliver
October 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM

Terry Bowden would probably work out well (just keep him away from the coeds). But, I don't see why he would want to return to coaching at this point. I would avoid Tommy at this point - he had great talent at Clemson but couldn't deliver.

OLDMAIN80
October 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Tony Franklin. xeyebrowx

Franklin was my first thought, also like the Carson Newman idea. After this weekend Lembo might be availablexlolx

HiHiYikas
October 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Although every comment about BVG has been on-the-money, he'd still be an improvement at UTC - at least for the 6 weeks he held the job before hitting the road.

Jiggs
October 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Tony Franklin. xeyebrowx

If he were a head coach, I wonder if he would shave on game day? What a nut job.

Tribegrad02
October 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
To be honest I think it's pretty unlikely that a D1 coordinator or a Bowden is going to be a serious candidate for this job. I don't mean it as a knock against UTC, but I think it is just too much of a rebuilding job to draw interest. I know it happened with UR getting UVA's coordinator last year, but I'm betting he chose an already established program so he can brush up his head-coaching chops and jump ship in a couple years.

I mentioned this in another thread awhile ago, but I am pretty sure UR's DC is a UTC grad and he was a finalist for the UR job. He was an assistant at W&M in the 90s and is a great coach. He might be an interesting choice.

cmaxwellgsu
October 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
I am glad to see that UTC is going to keep the program. It looked like Allison almost had the whole program circling the drain. If the UTC team plays some whole games like they played first halves this year, they will upset some folks.

Rekdiver
October 22nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Well.....hate to recommend one of my own, but how about Sparky Woods from VMI (App, South Carolina and the pro's)

Millwoch
October 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
here is UTC faculty member reponse to firing that was in charleston paper online today:

--a UTC faculty member says in the The Chattanoogan that the school should use this opportunity to drop the football program:
"With Coach Rodney Allison about to depart, now is the perfect time to phase out the Mocs football team - a decision that has been needed for years, and one that is more imperative than ever in the face of the current budget situation.
The Football Study Committee, commissioned by the Faculty Senate, concluded several years ago that eliminating football would save UTC $1 million or more annually...

...This is a perfect time for UTC to get out of the football business for good and concentrate on academics while maintaining successful athletic programs like basketball, golf, tennis, etc.

NashMoc
October 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
here is UTC faculty member reponse to firing that was in charleston paper online today:

--a UTC faculty member says in the The Chattanoogan that the school should use this opportunity to drop the football program:
"With Coach Rodney Allison about to depart, now is the perfect time to phase out the Mocs football team - a decision that has been needed for years, and one that is more imperative than ever in the face of the current budget situation.
The Football Study Committee, commissioned by the Faculty Senate, concluded several years ago that eliminating football would save UTC $1 million or more annually...

...This is a perfect time for UTC to get out of the football business for good and concentrate on academics while maintaining successful athletic programs like basketball, golf, tennis, etc.

Millwoch, I am sure there are faculty members on every campus that would like drop athletic programs. This wind bag is just taking advantage of UTC's current situation to make some noise. There is no traction within the administration to consider dropping the football program.

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Terry Bowden would probably work out well (just keep him away from the coeds). But, I don't see why he would want to return to coaching at this point. I would avoid Tommy at this point - he had great talent at Clemson but couldn't deliver.

Do you really think one of the Bowden brothers would take the head job at Chattanooga after having big-time jobs as head coaches in BCS conferences?

Millwoch
October 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Millwoch, I am sure there are faculty members on every campus that would like drop athletic programs. This wind bag is just taking advantage of UTC's current situation to make some noise. There is no traction within the administration to consider dropping the football program.

that is good to hear...it would be a sad state of affairs otherwise.

woffordgrad94
October 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM

Just don't keep football but drop scholorships. Don't be another Davidson, please, for the love of God!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Hopefully UTC will go for someone who has a good track record as a head coach (like WCU did with Dennis Wagner) and stop going after FBS assistant coaches. That's how you get VanGorded.

lizrdgizrd
October 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Tommy Bowden is looking for a job.

OVC Fan
October 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM
What about UT Martin's Jason Simpson who was UTC's OC in 2003-05? He is 21-12 in his 3rd year at UTM. I'm not sure how much the money difference would be and is it better to be near the top of the OVC or the better of the SoCon?

NashMoc
October 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
What about UT Martin's Jason Simpson who was UTC's OC in 2003-05? He is 21-12 in his 3rd year at UTM. I'm not sure how much the money difference would be and is it better to be near the top of the OVC or the better of the SoCon?

He still has the stink of Rodney Allison, being his OC from '03-'05.. UTC has turned the page on RA years. I don't think a former Allison assistant is the way for a new AD to make his first major coaching hire.

Besides why would Jason Simpson leave Martin for Chattanooga. He has started to win some games, he has a brand new football field house (no such facility exists at Chattanooga).

Skyhawk
October 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Please don't hire Jason Simpson at UTC. I thought UT Martin football was going to go back to being one of the worst programs in the FCS when Matt Griffin was hired away by Murray State.

Simpson is an outstanding young coach and I would love to see how far he could take the Skyhawks in the next few years.

NashMoc
October 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Please don't hire Jason Simpson at UTC. I thought UT Martin football was going to go back to being one of the worst programs in the FCS when Matt Griffin was hired away by Murray State.

Simpson is an outstanding young coach and I would love to see how far he could take the Skyhawks in the next few years.

I agree with Skyhawk about Simpson. The little bit of success that UTC experienced during the Allison era was largely due to Simpson. However, I don't think that Skyhawk fans have to worry about Chattanooga. I don't think our AD will bring in a former Allison assistant as a replacement.

catamount man
October 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I know who UTC will hire but I have sworn not to tell and NO, I AM NOT KIDDING. Not a bad hire, depending on your perspective. Should be announced early December. Good luck Mocs! xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I know who UTC will hire but I have sworn not to tell and NO, I AM NOT KIDDING. Not a bad hire, depending on your perspective. Should be announced early December. Good luck Mocs! xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

FCS or FBS? assistant or head coach? conference? You don't have to tell us but you can still give us hints.

catamount man
October 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM
FCS or FBS? assistant or head coach? conference? You don't have to tell us but you can still give us hints.

Not giving hints.

BlazerDawg
October 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
From the D-II coaching realms:

Ken Sparks isn't leaving Carson-Newman for anybdy.

Mark Hudspeth from UNA would be a good hire, but UNA is a better job. The only draw for him would be coaching at the FCS level.

David Dean at VSU, well, you can't have him. :) Seriously, I don't see him leaving VSU for Chatty.

The guy at Delta State would be a good fit. Go after him please.

The Cats
October 25th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I know who UTC will hire but I have sworn not to tell....... xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx