PDA

View Full Version : Interesting NYT Article on Elena Delle Donne

93henfan
October 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19athlete.html

Among other quotes:

“If Tom Brady was your son, you would really enjoy that he was a darn good Ping-Pong player, but you’d feel like, Why’s he playing Ping-Pong?” Ernie Delle Donne, a real estate developer, said, referring to the New England quarterback.

“No kid should have to go through what she went through,” said Kenny, a past president of the American Volleyball Coaches Association. “Adults need to pay attention. It’s a problem in youth sports. These kids are burned out. From 12 to 18, I bet Elena can count on her hands the amount of weekends she didn’t have anything to do related to sport. She’s missed the opportunity to be a kid.”

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
Food for thought: My son told me this the other day: "I've come to the conclusion that I have no time for friends."

He's 14 and plays competitive basketball and club baseball. Year-round. xeyebrowx xcoolx xoopsx

93henfan
October 21st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Food for thought: My son told me this the other day: "I've come to the conclusion that I have no time for friends."

He's 14 and plays competitive basketball and club baseball. Year-round. xeyebrowx xcoolx xoopsx

Bottom line is, is he happy? If he's doing it for his own reasons, then that's healthy. If he feels it's an obligation, then maybe not so much.

andy7171
October 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM

At least he's playing two sports to break the monotany of just one all year long.

This girl is 6'5". I bet she's been playing basketball only for a long long time.