GEORGETOWN @ Richmond
3:00 PM

OOC Results:

Overall: 18-15
vs. Ivy League: 9-9

carney2
October 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM
LEHIGH @ HOLY CROSS
It’s time to consider that the Squawks may have actually turned some sort of corner. Still, if Harvard’s Pizzotti (a good QB) can throw for over 300 yds. against this leaky secondary, ya gotta ask what Randolph will do. 400? More? Since Holy Cross can score against anyone and anyone can score against Holy Cross, these two may wear out a scoreboard or two.

LAFAYETTE @ FORDHAM
The Rams finally impressed this past week in running up 435 yds of total offense vs. what everyone presumes to be a good Yale team’s 182. The Pards impressed even more while while getting a really good start on the Carney Pavilion - and deserve the nod here. Should be close.

COLGATE @ BUCKNELL
While KenZ is in Sojka waiting for the game to begin, the Raiders will be over at Christy Mathewson looking to turn their League awarded “free win” into something special. We will find out early if the Buffalos really have what it takes to make some noise in the Patriot League.

GEORGETOWN @ Richmond
The Hoyas continue to impress. (Note to DFW: We’re not talking Appalachian State impressive here; we’re talking impressive vs. the Georgetown we know and love.) Unfortunately, when you’re in over your head, you just tread water and hope that you survive.

DFW HOYA
October 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM
The Hoyas continue to impress. (Note to DFW: We’re not talking Appalachian State impressive here; we’re talking impressive vs. the Georgetown we know and love.) Unfortunately, when you’re in over your head, you just tread water and hope that you survive.

This has been a discussion point in some circles--how would this Georgetown team compare to the 5-win team in 2002 (which went .500 after the season opening undressing by Lehigh) or the 2005 team that ranked #25 in the nation in defense.

Hmmm...eight years and still "over your head"? When does this change?

LeopardFan04
October 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Crusaders
Leopards
Raiders
Spiders

carney2
October 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hmmm...eight years and still "over your head"? When does this change?

Against the CAA big kids like Richmond, maybe never. Against the week in and week out competition of the Patriot League, you're one recruiting class away. I can't begin to tell you how important the next few months are for the future of Georgetown football. Kelly needs to make it happen again on the recruiting trail. Last year's "we'll take anything because it has to be an upgrade" philosophy where he brought in 7 QBs must be replaced by "here's what we need." I'm not saying you move to the top in one year, but we have to see that last year was the beginning of a trend and not just a blip on the radar screen.

letsgopards04
October 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
October 25

LEHIGH @ HOLY CROSS
1:00 PM

LAFAYETTE @ FORDHAM

COLGATE @ BUCKNELL

GEORGETOWN @ Richmond
3:00 PM

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
LEHIGH @ HOLY CROSS
It’s time to consider that the Squawks may have actually turned some sort of corner. Still, if Harvard’s Pizzotti (a good QB) can throw for over 300 yds. against this leaky secondary, ya gotta ask what Randolph will do. 400? More? Since Holy Cross can score against anyone and anyone can score against Holy Cross, these two may wear out a scoreboard or two.

I'm not arguing about the prediction, but Pizzotti is *far* better than just a *good* QB. Randolph is a great QB, but Pizzotti has tons of NFL scouts at his games looking to see if he can play on Sundays. I'd classify both in the "great" category.

bison137
October 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
COLGATE @ BUCKNELL
While KenZ is in Sojka waiting for the game to begin, the Raiders will be over at Christy Mathewson

Not only one basketball-related event on Saturday but three! xthumbsupx

8:30 AM - Induction of J.R. Holden into the Bison hall of fame.
10:30 AM - Intrasquad scrimmage in Sojka.
4 PM - Bison Mania in Sojka.

Maybe you can take a ride over to Lewisburg and join KenZ and me for the festivities.

carney2
October 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Not only one basketball-related event on Saturday but three! xthumbsupx

8:30 AM - Induction of J.R. Holden into the Bison hall of fame.
10:30 AM - Intrasquad scrimmage in Sojka.
4 PM - Bison Mania in Sojka.

Maybe you can take a ride over to Lewisburg and join KenZ and me for the festivities.

I will be there if, and only if, KenZ is the featured maniac in that Mania thing.

carney2
October 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm not arguing about the prediction, but Pizzotti is *far* better than just a *good* QB. Randolph is a great QB, but Pizzotti has tons of NFL scouts at his games looking to see if he can play on Sundays. I'd classify both in the "great" category.

Good golly, LFN, I gave you 4 lines, one more than anyone else. Do I have to site statistics supporting every word? Do I need to allot 5, 6, 7 paragraphs to keep the Squawkers happy? As the guy in the picture to the left would say, "Sheesh, what a grouch."

bison137
October 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I will be there if, and only if, KenZ is the featured maniac in that Mania thing.

I'm sure Bisonmania could add a little one-on-one to the Saturday festitivities. You vs KenZ.

Or would you prefer to compete in the slam-dunk contest?

Go...gate
October 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm very worried about Bucknell. They have broken Colgate's heart on several occasions over the years, especially at Memorial Stadium.

bison137
October 20th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'm very worried about Bucknell. They have broken Colgate's heart on several occasions over the years, especially at Memorial Stadium.

With the injuries Bucknell has sustained, CU has to be a heavy favorite. Just found out BU's top defender, Sam Nana-Sinkam, sustained both a dislocated ankle and a broken leg early in the Georgetown game. He was leading the PL in tackles up to the point when he got injured.

carney2
October 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I'm sure Bisonmania could add a little one-on-one to the Saturday festitivities. You vs KenZ.

Or would you prefer to compete in the slam-dunk contest?

I used to be pretty good at one on one. It's when those other guys wandered out there that I fell apart.

I would agree to participate in the slam-dunk contest if KenZ agreed to be the ball - or the hoop.

ngineer
October 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I think Lehigh's defense will contain Randolph enough to achieve a payback from last year. I think Harvard is as talented as any team Lehigh will face, and they were not out played despite missing several starters. Yes, it's a 'homer' pick, but I feel that this team is jelling at the right time.
Lehigh 38 HC 31

Fordham's 'D' came alive against Yale's ground game. A similar effort will be needed against the 'pards, and at home, they may well get it. Now just playing for pride as the defending champion, I see them as being pretty dangerous. Rams pull the upset sending the PL into a tizzy. 24-17

Bucknell has been a repeated thorn in the Raiders' side and but for some injury issues, I'd pick them to pull another shocker. I still think this will be close, but 'gate slips out of Lewisburg by the skin of their teeth, 24-22.

Georgetown takes on Excedrin headache #1 and get spider veins. RU ready? 35-14.

ColgateTD
October 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
Holy Cross - I don't see Randolph stumbling against the Enginhawks
Lafayette - Peaking Pards take down last year's champions
Colgate - If Scott 1.0 can't make it, Scott 2.0 will pick up the needed 260.
Richmond - Spiders too much for DCmen

Record: 28-10

Pard4Life
October 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Holy Cross; leaky seconday + Randolph = watch out
Richmond, no comment
Bucknell - about time they surprised someone, and yes they have a history against Colgate. Don't know much about the Bison this year, but if their QBs are healthy it could be an interesting test
Lafayette - only because we won last week and will have a pyschological boost. If our offense is stale and Skelton can shread our zone, like last year, we are in for a tough day. Liberty had success with this last week, which has me concerned.

TheValleyRaider
October 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Last week a nice 5-1 (yes, I did pick Liberty to win) puts me at 26-12 for the season. Not bad, but I'd like to keep it climbing higher

Lehigh at Holy Cross Holy Cross The two teams actually played Harvard evenly, and in spite of the talk about them, have relatively even records. Holy Cross has still not really shown the ability to shut anyone down defensively, and that could let the Hawks stay in this one. Still, I'll take the best player on the field, Randolph, at home.

Lafayette at Fordham Fordham Why? Because I felt like picking an upset. Because I think Fordham sees a chance to get some more pride out of their season. Because it's entirely possible Lafayette suffers a letdown following their big road win over Liberty. Should be a good game either way

Colgate at Bucknell Colgate Yes, I am picking the road team, and yes, it is my team. If Scott is back, I see no reason he can't gash the Bison again (picked up 270 yards last year), especially with their best defensive player Nana-Sinkam out. It should be a close one, as Bucknell and Colgate always play a tight one, but I like the Raiders to move to 2-0 in this one

Georgetown at Richmond Richmond I tell you, if the Hoyas could pull this one off, it would be the biggest OOC shocker of the season in the FCS, hands down. Unfortuately, this isn't basketball, and I'm not sure anyone in the Patriot League should be favored against the Spiders

LehighFan11
October 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
Holy Cross
Fordham
Colgate
Richmond

Bogus Megapardus
October 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
I wish to go on record as predicting a highly unlikely Georgetown victory against the Spiders this week.

I don't know why I'm of this view given the considerable odds against such a monumental upset, but I just have faith in the Hoyas to pull out an odds-breaking win here.

I expect acknowledgment if proved correct (and benevolent disregard if not).

Holy Cross, Colgate and Lafayette will win the other contests by reasonably comfortable margins.

LUHawker
October 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Lehigh @ HC - I'm taking the Brown & White in what we'll refer to after the fact as "the turnaround win"

Lafayette @ Fordham - Tough one to pick, but I'm taking the home team here

Richmond - Nuff said

Colgate @ Bucknell - Bucknell's record is deceiving, Colgate's isn't. Colgate

LCFan21
October 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Holy Cross lights up LU secondary - they can't keep up on offense
Richmond
Colgate - Bison make it interesting
Lafayette - tough game - could go either way

jdb037
October 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Lehigh @ HC - Holy Cross by 17
Lafayette @ Fordham - Lafayette by 3
Georgetown @ Richmond - .....Big
Colgate @ Bucknell - Always make it interesting but we are gonna get manhandled up front and either Eachus or Scott will have a huge game. Colgate by 10

carney2
October 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
This week's "line:"

HOLY CROSS 5 1/2 over LEHIGH

LAFAYETTE 4 over FORDHAM

COLGATE 9 over BUCKNELL

Richmond 38 over GEORGETOWN

LehighFan11
October 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM

LAFAYETTE 4 over FORDHAM

COLGATE 9 over BUCKNELL

Jeeze 38 is alot or maybe not enough.

Bogus Megapardus
October 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM

Thirty-eight over will not happen. Take the points. If the Spiders are ahead by, say, tewnty-eight at the half, they'll rest the starters and show some respect by running the ball inside for a while. There is no Richmond/Georgetown animosity that would justify running up the score over their local brethren.

hc12
October 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
HC 35 lehigh 21
FORDHAM 28 lafayette 24
COLGATE 45 bucknell 21
RICHMOND 48 georgetown 21

colorless raider
October 23rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Lehigh
Fordham
Colgate
Richmond

bison137
October 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
HC
LC
Rich
CU

Ken_Z
October 24th, 2008, 08:09 AM
well after my mediocre performance last week and carneys successful imitation of a blind squirrel finding a nut, the bookies are permitting me to return to a regular posting schedule

LEHIGH 21 @ HOLY CROSS 31: Lehigh is showing signs of life, but they don't have a prayer of beating Holy Cross.

LAFAYETTE 24 @ FORDHAM 21: Fordham has the talent and the home field, but they just can't quite seem to get everything to come together this year. Laf on the other hand is finding the winning formula on a regular basis. i am now hearing rumblings of a CarneyDome on the scale of the Carrier Dome.

COLGATE 42 @ BUCKNELL 21: i called the Bucknell over Colgate upset six months in advance several years ago and drove Colgate13 into hiding ever since. unfortunately, can't see this one even being close this year. now if only i could replicate that prediction with Lafayette and send Carney packing.

GEORGETOWN 14 @ Richmond 48: the final score is up to Richmond. i think it will get ugly so fast that they can't call off the dogs fast enough to let G'town make it look respectable.

LehighFan11
October 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Holy Cross
Fordham
Colgate
Richmond

I take my pick of Fordham back. Fordham is 3-0 when Martin has over 100 and 0-3 when he has under 100. Considering Lafayette is a top ranked run D, they will probably hold him to under 75 yards. Forcing Fordham to throw will create turnovers. Lafayette by 7.

carney2
October 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I take my pick of Fordham back. Fordham is 3-0 when Martin has over 100 and 0-3 when he has under 100. Considering Lafayette is a top ranked run D, they will probably hold him to under 75 yards. Forcing Fordham to throw will create turnovers. Lafayette by 7.

This is the first "take back" on record. It's a bad precedent. We'll never get straight picks again from KenZ. We''ll get something like

"If Trigg throws for 350+, I pick Bucknell. If under 100, I pick Colgate. If between 100 and 350, I reserve the right to make my decision after the game."

This is worse than deferring the decision after the coin toss.xnodx

LehighFan11
October 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM
This is the first "take back" on record. It's a bad precedent. We'll never get straight picks again from KenZ. We''ll get something like

"If Trigg throws for 350+, I pick Bucknell. If under 100, I pick Colgate. If between 100 and 350, I reserve the right to make my decision after the game."

This is worse than deferring the decision after the coin toss.xnodx

Haha. This was just a cause of more research. I was looking at Fordham's games this year and saw they only win when Martin gets 100+ yards rushing. Since Lafayette has the #1 rush defense in the country, I doubt Martin will be successful. Therefore, Fordham will have to thrown and this year that means turnovers. I'm taking Lafayette no if's and's or's or but's.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Lafayette 27 Fordham 17: Lafayette might be headed for their best season in 40+ years while Fordham is still scuffling around. If the Rams "O" was clicking a little bit better i'd take the home team.

Colgate 35 Bucknell 17: The Raiders are playing great football right now and i find it hard to believe they'd lose to a Bison a team who is nowhere near as good as it's record would indicate.

Richmond 45 Georgetown 3: Why is this game being played?

Holy Cross 42 Lehigh 41: Somehow someway Lehigh will find a way to lose this game. They'll be in it until the very end just like they are every week but will do something costly to prevent themselves from winning.

Record: 29-9

DFW HOYA
October 24th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Richmond 45 Georgetown 3: Why is this game being played?

(Gee, thanks for the vote of support...)

This game is being played in part because of geography. Outside Howard and Towson, Richmond is the closest I-AA opponent to Georgetown (100 mi.) and Georgetown wants..um, needs to devlop regional rivalries given the lack of regional interest in PL teams. It adds Old Dominion next year, and there was some talk with W&M but I don't think it went beyond that.

Ken_Z
October 24th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by carney2

Haha. This was just a cause of more research.

are you implying that my picks submitted post-game are not also simply the result of additional research?

colgate13
October 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
COLGATE 42 @ BUCKNELL 21: i called the Bucknell over Colgate upset six months in advance several years ago and drove Colgate13 into hiding ever since. unfortunately, can't see this one even being close this year. now if only i could replicate that prediction with Lafayette and send Carney packing.

BOO!

Let's Go 'Gate!

But yes, I share the apprehension about the Bison. I hope we get up early and put any thoughts of a close game far behind us.

LeopardFan04
October 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
BOO!

Let's Go 'Gate!

But yes, I share the apprehension about the Bison. I hope we get up early and put any thoughts of a close game far behind us.

Good to "see" you 13!

CrusaderBob
October 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Last Week: 3 - 3
Season to Date: 26 - 10

Looking to make it up this week.

Fordham - Leading off with a gut pick upset.
Colgate - Bucky's Boys are too beat up.
Richmond - Hoyas caught in the web.
Holy Cross - Hawkineers don't have enough bullets to overcome a big Family Weekend crowd and oh yeah the Crusader Offense.

Pard94
October 25th, 2008, 08:03 AM
BOO!

Let's Go 'Gate!

He's alive!!! Now 13, I live in NH as well. You can not use the excuse that living in the wilds of NH have prevented you from dropping in occasionally.

carney2
October 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
13 the zombie, the living dead. What really makes this special is that he came back from [fill in the tax haven of your choice] just to zing KenZ. Now, that's righteous devotion.

Hey, 13, still no football scholarships. What was your prediction? 2010?

65 Pard
October 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM

LAFAYETTE 4 over FORDHAM

COLGATE 9 over BUCKNELL

All except Richmond will beat the spread

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Continuity issues continue to bedevil Georgetown. The Hoyas will have eight freshmen and sophomores starting on offense alone against Richmond and no matter what some on this board would say, you don't win games with freshmen. Its offensive line (which is smaller than UR's defensive line) is down to only one player with starting experience before this year.

Six straight years of "rebuilding" is getting old.

Eight Legger
October 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Feel for you DFW. The team you put out there today didn't look like it would be competitive against many teams in FCS. You do have a lot of QBs though.

colgate13
October 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hey, 13, still no football scholarships. What was your prediction? 2010?

It was five years from when I made the prediction... which was 3-4 years ago. Who knows what the story is now... but that's how it looked to me then.

Big game next week... Good luck! Go Raiders!

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Feel for you DFW. The team you put out there today didn't look like it would be competitive against many teams in FCS. You do have a lot of QBs though.

"Many" teams or any? That was such a poor effort the UR fans should ask for a refund.

QB's? Started with seven, and we added yet another one last week!
http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/plebani_brice00.html

Too bad none of them can block.

Ken_Z
October 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
BOO!

It's Alive!

welcome back 13. stick around and talk for a while even if the annual rivalry game is over.

and as for scholly's, i think 13 is still about on target. it should happen next summer, unfortunately the market, and hence endowment, deterioration could derail this.

colgate13
October 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
It's Alive!

welcome back 13. stick around and talk for a while even if the annual rivalry game is over.

and as for scholly's, i think 13 is still about on target. it should happen next summer, unfortunately the market, and hence endowment, deterioration could derail this.

Actually, I could see the economy helping this. It could happen in a trade off scenario... something like 50 total equivalencies and fight for the rest in the regular pool... That would 'give back' 4-5 equivalencies. Just a thought.

colorless raider
October 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Actually, I could see the economy helping this. It could happen in a trade off scenario... something like 50 total equivalencies and fight for the rest in the regular pool... That would 'give back' 4-5 equivalencies. Just a thought.

Question: Could we still get 1A games with 50 equivalencies?

Ken_Z
October 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM
problem with that is:

- not sure what school we attract if the PL only goes to 50. since expansion seems to be the primary impetus for going scholly, this is a critical question
- cr's question is also important and i don't believe 50 is sufficient, but a school might be able to get to the required 57(?) by using additional need based grants if they were so inclined. didn't Lafayette indicate they planned to do this with the objective of landing a 1A game?

carney2
October 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM
problem with that is:

- not sure what school we attract if the PL only goes to 50. since expansion seems to be the primary impetus for going scholly, this is a critical question
- cr's question is also important and i don't believe 50 is sufficient, but a school might be able to get to the required 57(?) by using additional need based grants if they were so inclined. didn't Lafayette indicate they planned to do this with the objective of landing a 1A game?

"planned to do this" is a bit strong. Let's say that both the head coach and AD were salivating at the prospect of all that money.

colgate13
October 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM
That's what I'm talking about Ken_Z. Same money, but some admission concessions that make 4-5 lower AI kids have to be traded for top AI kids or 'regular' admits. Heck, schools do it already (try to bring in 'regular' kids they don't have to pay for).

LBPop
October 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Colgate 13??

Who's the new guy?xcoolx

HoyaMetanoia
November 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
"Many" teams or any? That was such a poor effort the UR fans should ask for a refund.

QB's? Started with seven, and we added yet another one last week!
http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/plebani_brice00.html

Too bad none of them can block.

Where did this kid come from DFW? Who knows whether he can help us on the field (he hasn't registered a stat yet), but, look at the kid's resume. Talk about a bio! Maybe he could help coach.

High School: A four-year letterwinner in football under Coach John Simon ... EA Sports 2007 "QB to Watch" ... Senior captain ... Helped lead team to conference titles in 2003, 2004, 2005 ... Three-year letterwinner in baseball ... Senior captain ... Led team to conference championship in 2006, going 3-0 with a 1.42 earned run average while throwing the school's first no-hitter ... Three-year letterwinner in basketball ... Helped lead team to first conference title in school history in 2006-07 ... Member of two-time national champion AAU basketball team with NBA players Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City) and Michael Beasley (Miami).

Personal: Born October 25, 1988 in Washington, D.C. ... The son of Jon Plebani and Johanna Schneider... Has two younger brothers, Nicholas and Chase ... Father played baseball at Franklin & Marshall College ... National Merit Finalist ... AP Scholar With Honors ... Presidential Scholar Nominee ... SAT score placed him in the 99.7th percentile nationally ... Enrolled in the McDonough School of Business.

colgate13
November 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Colgate 13??

Who's the new guy?xcoolx

My HS season is winding down... and Colgate is trending upward...

What better place to swing on by for a bit than AGS? :)