PDA

View Full Version : Question about a penalty call

MountaineerMania54
October 18th, 2008, 04:55 PM
During the ASU/GSU game, App was called for a block in the back while they were kicking off. How do you block in the back while on the kicking team? Just wondering because I have never heard of that

JALMOND
October 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
During the ASU/GSU game, App was called for a block in the back while they were kicking off. How do you block in the back while on the kicking team? Just wondering because I have never heard of that

I'm not saying this is exactly what happened. Usually, when the ball is kicked off (not squibbed or onsides, but kicked deep), the receiving team will send everyone down the field and then form a wedge to create an alley for the runner to run through. As the receiving team's line is running down to form the wedge, the kicking team could possibly push one or more of them down before they can form the wedge. Not necessarily a "block" as rather a "push" but still the same type of penalty. Can't say that I've seen this type (and I did not watch the game), but this is how I think this type of penalty could occur. Instead of engaging him from the front, you knock him down from the rear. Like I said, I did not see the game so I did not see the penalty, but this is how it could happen.

ASU88
October 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
The announcers mentioned that recently the rule was changed to include members of the kicking team. On Kickoffs and punts, NO ONE is to hit an opposing player from behind.

I guess they're trying to protect all the players, not just one side or the other.

spdram
October 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Follow up question that I've often wondered, but to lazy to look up. What constitutes "the back"? Of course if you hit in face to face that's legal, and the "side" is legal too, as I understand. But so many times you see the edge of the backside, if that legal, how far can you go?

jlcharles
October 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
For the most part, your head has to be on their front. It becomes a judgment call as to what is the back.

So if you hit a guy from the side, but your head is on the backside of their shoulder, you will most likely be assessed a penalty. But if you hit him from the side and your head is on the front side of their shoulder, you would most likely not be hit by a penalty. But, it's going to be up to the discretion of the referee.

Jerbearasu
October 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Follow up question that I've often wondered, but to lazy to look up. What constitutes "the back"? Of course if you hit in face to face that's legal, and the "side" is legal too, as I understand. But so many times you see the edge of the backside, if that legal, how far can you go?

Normal rule of thumb, coaches will tell you if you can see a sliver of the # on the front of the jersey go ahead and knock them but it is a decision by the ref so you have to keep that in mind.

ASU88
October 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM
If an opposing player is running away from you ... don't hit him.

If you're coming at him from a 90 degree angle, better hit ahead of him or it's a judgement call for the ref.

GATA
October 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Overall the officiating in this game was typical SOCON...garbage. I can honestly say that App State got hosed on at least 3 calls and GSU caught 1 or 2 terrible ones as well.

The SOCON officials are really good about throwing a flag and then changing their minds.

spdram
October 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys, I figured there would be someone here that had the correct rule.