PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette-Liberty

Pages : 1 [2]

carney2
October 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Can Tavani keep the boys firing for the rest of the season? You have to play to win as evidenced by Saturday.

Not like the Liberty game. That was the perfect football storm from an emotional and probably an execution standpoint, and you won't see its like soon again. Tavani's job is to prevent a return to the levels they were playing at in the 10 quarters immediately preceding Liberty and he'll be OK.

Your "play to win" comment touches a sore spot with me. There has been a bit too much "playing not to lose" with this team, and I point to the entire second half of the Penn game as Exhibit A.

Franks Tanks
October 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM
When is Tavani's contract up? I can see teams coming after him.

I believe he signed a 10 years contrcat about 2 years ago. He made a comment saying that will take him to retirement age.

carney2
October 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
When is Tavani's contract up? I can see teams coming after him.

He is signed well into the next decade. His age works against him in moving up and out. He's looking more and more like a College Hill lifer, but I guess stranger things have happened especially now that his youngest child is about to graduate from high school.

letsgopards04
October 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Not like the Liberty game. That was the perfect football storm from an emotional and probably an execution standpoint, and you won't see its like soon again. Tavani's job is to prevent a return to the levels they were playing at in the 10 quarters immediately preceding Liberty and he'll be OK.

Your "play to win" comment touches a sore spot with me. There has been a bit too much "playing not to lose" with this team, and I point to the entire second half of the Penn game as Exhibit A.

With the exception of the recent Lehigh games, the offensive play calling seems content to get a lead and then hold on while letting the defense do the work. I think this sends a bad message to the offense. Once you get conservative it takes the players out of the game and it can be hard to turn them back on if need be.

carney2
October 21st, 2008, 09:02 AM
With the exception of the recent Lehigh games, the offensive play calling seems content to get a lead and then hold on while letting the defense do the work. I think this sends a bad message to the offense. Once you get conservative it takes the players out of the game and it can be hard to turn them back on if need be.

Even in the Liberty game where (and my hat's off to him) Frank took some risks to go for 7 (the "old Frank" would have been positioning himself for a field goal) at the end of the 1st half, there may have been some of that in the second half. Someday when I have time and I don't have to hear "How can you watch that again? You know how it came out." from the missus, I'll check the tape. (I have a tape!) All I know for sure at the moment is that Lafayette shot itself in the foot with some penalties, but they only recorded one 1st down in the entire 3rd quarter vs. Liberty. How much of that was due to circling the wagons I don't know. In any event, this team is averaging 0.75 offensive points in the second half for the last 4 games. That's 1 field goal in 4 games! That needs to change - and probably this weekend in The Bronx.