PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Power Rankings - Week 8

RazorEdge19
October 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM
1. Elon - They are tops in the conference rankings. Whether or not they remain here will be seen when they play Wofford and ASU
2. ASU - Last year's co-champs are very good. Like Elon, their most important games still are to be played.
2. Wofford - The 2007 co-champs have shown more then many thought they'd be capable of. Like ASU and Elon, their most important games are upcoming.
4. Furman - As many have noted, their season has been the tale of two teams. They need to become more consistent.
4. The Citadel - Losses to ASU and Elon have all but put El Cid out of the chase. Surprising considering how good many thought they would be this season.
4. Georgia Southern - A young team that will only get better as the season progesses.
7. Samford - Better then originally thought...but still has room to improve
8. Western - Wagner has changed the mentality...whether that is enough remains to be seen.
9. UTC - That loss to Wofford was ugly. I really was convinced that the offense had found a rhythm against GSU.

Reign of Terrier
October 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
1. Elon - They are tops in the conference rankings. Whether or not they remain here will be seen when they play Wofford and ASU
2. ASU - Last year's co-champs are very good. Like Elon, their most important games still are to be played.
2. Wofford - The 2007 co-champs have shown more then many thought they'd be capable of. Like ASU and Elon, their most important games are upcoming.
4. Furman - As many have noted, their season has been the tale of two teams. They need to become more consistent.
4. The Citadel - Losses to ASU and Elon have all but put El Cid out of the chase. Surprising considering how good many thought they would be this season.
4. Georgia Southern - A young team that will only get better as the season progesses.
7. Samford - Better then originally thought...but still has room to improve
8. Western - Wagner has changed the mentality...whether that is enough remains to be seen.
9. UTC - That loss to Wofford was ugly. I really was convinced that the offense had found a rhythm against GSU.

1. Elon- most likely to get in the playoffs
1. App- Keep playing one half of football against teams like Wofford and Elon, teams that can run with you, and see what happens.
1. Wofford-Offense is unstoppable. Defense is healthy and improving. Still hasn't played anybody.
4. GSU-very underrated. very fast
4. The most bipolar team in the Socon.
4. The Citadel- talented but on the brink of no playoffs
4. Samford- pain-in-the-butt team of the year
8. Western-Has heart
9. Chatty- doesn't

elonpuckhog
October 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I think those rankings are about as close as anyone can get right now. Samford has impressed me with their games so far. The hardest team for me to figure out right now is App. I thought they would lose to Citadel and they beat them big time, but then struggled with Samford (which we did as well). I think the ASU - GSU game will help shake some of these rankings out.

magman919
October 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I pretty much agree with Razoredge19's rankings.
I would swap Elon and App. Both Elon and Wofford have to come to Boone, as previously stated in numerous post. Playing one half of ball won't cut it against the best of the Socon. I have confidence that App will step it up these next four weeks.

appfan2008
October 13th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I would be surprised if the socon got anything other than elon, app and wofford in the playoffs... no more no less!!!... which would be fine with me...

jus10asu
October 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Those look good to me....though its still a toss up between Elon and App. I know everyone keeps sayin App needs to put together a full game instead of this one half football but I feel like they will. Even JM said the second half of Samford was by design to lay off. So I guess you can take that however you want. But I think App will step up in the next 5 weeks and play to their fullest. This week is gonna be a test down in Statesboro so we'll have a better outlook for my boys come next saturday.

appfan2008
October 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Those look good to me....though its still a toss up between Elon and App. I know everyone keeps sayin App needs to put together a full game instead of this one half football but I feel like they will. Even JM said the second half of Samford was by design to lay off. So I guess you can take that however you want. But I think App will step up in the next 5 weeks and play to their fullest. This week is gonna be a test down in Statesboro so we'll have a better outlook for my boys come next saturday.

If they need to they can put together a whole game... I know people will point to the JMU debacle but that was early... we are a better football team now...

appstate38
October 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
The thing I love about this thread and others like it. Many posters are quick to point out the Apps weaknesses but fail to look at some of their own. For example Elon struggled to stop the run against Richmond and from the looks of things against the Citadel they didn't do a great job against the pass either. Just remember until they crown somebody new, we are still the defending champs. Maybe not quite as good but still can run and score with the best around. Elon and Wofford still have to travel to Kidd Brewer. Please don't think you will walk in there and own us.

jus10asu
October 13th, 2008, 08:22 AM
The thing I love about this thread and others like it. Many posters are quick to point out the Apps weaknesses but fail to look at some of their own. For example Elon struggled to stop the run against Richmond and from the looks of things against the Citadel they didn't do a great job against the pass either. Just remember until they crown somebody new, we are still the defending champs. Maybe not quite as good but still can run and score with the best around. Elon and Wofford still have to travel to Kidd Brewer. Please don't think you will walk in there and own us.

well saidxthumbsupx

Sir William
October 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM
As impressive as Elon is this season, the defending 3-time national champs are still the king of the hill until (and unless) Elon (or someone else) knocks them off their perch, and at the same time, is able to sit alone on that perch themselves (ie, wins the conference outright).

1) App
2/3) Elon, Wofford
4/5) Furman, Citadel (TBD Saturday)
6) GaSouthern
7) Samford
8) Western
9) UTC

terrierbob
October 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM
well saidxthumbsupx

Pride goeth before a fall.
I've fallen many times, but still get cocky.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
For example Elon struggled to stop the run against Richmond and from the looks of things against the Citadel they didn't do a great job against the pass either. Just remember until they crown somebody new, we are still the defending champs.

Wait a second, if they can't stop the run how do they expect to beat Wofford? Our defense is improving now that were healthy. You have to remember that we lost last year but it wasn't the D's fault, Our offense only scored 13 points and shot itself in the foot too much. Our offense is better now that the passing game is more efficient and we make little mistakes. We'll definately won't overlook Elon this year. It should be the best of the year so far.

SU DOG
October 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Admittedly, I am new at trying to predict anything about SoCon Football. I don't know about rivalry intensity, home field advantages, etc. so I may be proven totally wrong - but here goes. Elon did struggle(for whatever reason) to beat Samford. I do not want to take anything away from my Bulldogs, however, ASU did NOT struggle to win their game with us. We gave them our best shot, they responded in the second quarter to take control, then somewhat coasted through the rest of the game. We played hard and did not back down, but our young team was out-manned. I'm still very proud of the way Samford played. Did ASU hold back? IMO - Yes. Coach Moore, after the game, practically said as much. Having seen every team in the conference play, I believe without a doubt that the Mountaineers are at a somewhat higher level than any of us(not rocket science conclusion with 3 NCs I know). I realize that last year they didn't, but the talent is there to run the table this season. If they don't, then they should only blame themselves.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Admittedly, I am new at trying to predict anything about SoCon Football. I don't know about rivalry intensity, home field advantages, etc. so I may be proven totally wrong - but here goes. Elon did struggle(for whatever reason) to beat Samford. I do not want to take anything away from my Bulldogs, however, ASU did NOT struggle to win their game with us. We gave them our best shot, they responded in the second quarter to take control, then somewhat coasted through the rest of the game. We played hard and did not back down, but our young team was out-manned. I'm still very proud of the way Samford played. Did ASU hold back? IMO - Yes. Coach Moore, after the game, practically said as much. Having seen every team in the conference play, I believe without a doubt that the Mountaineers are at a somewhat higher level than any of us(not rocket science conclusion with 3 NCs I know). I realize that last year they didn't, but the talent is there to run the table this season. If they don't, then they should only blame themselves.

Who'd you see Wofford play?

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM

For Home field advantage
1. GSU
2. App
rivalry
everyone against everyone except UTC

appfan2008
October 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM

those are strong words... and i like them but I for one do not predict us to run the table... GSU, Wof, or Elon...

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM
those are strong words... and i like them but I for one do not predict us to run the table... GSU, Wof, or Elon...

lucky for you GSU doesn't play 60 minutes either.

introvertedGSUfan
October 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM
lucky for you GSU doesn't play 60 minutes either.

We did during our last game and hopefully will Saturday.

Black Saturday
October 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Thank you for saying what very few others are willing to say.

Samford in my opinion is going to hold their own in the SoCon and even surprise some on their remaining schedule.

phoenix3
October 13th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Wait a second, if they can't stop the run how do they expect to beat Wofford? Our defense is improving now that were healthy. You have to remember that we lost last year but it wasn't the D's fault, Our offense only scored 13 points and shot itself in the foot too much. Our offense is better now that the passing game is more efficient and we make little mistakes. We'll definately won't overlook Elon this year. It should be the best of the year so far.

Not to say we're the best at stopping the run but we are 3rd in the SoCon. We held Furman to 72 yards rushing and the Citadel to 82. We held Samford to 118 yards rushing. Samford is the 3rd best rushing team in the SoCon behind Wofford and App who incidentally allowed Samford 195 rushing yards. Not saying any of these teams are to the level of Wofford in rushing. But, at least right now, our defense is doing a respectable job against the rush.

drpnut
October 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hey folks,

A lot of people are already handing the SoCon trophy to Appy or Elon.

Both are good teams, but one must not count out the little dogs of Woffy.

Even GaSouth could get hot and create havoc, as could Furman. But most likely it will come down to one of the trio of Appy, Woffy or Elon.

No one has talked about a very possible scenario, which is: Woffy beats Elon, loses to Appy, then wins the rest to finish 7-1. Appy beats GaSouth, loses to Elon and beats everyone else to finish 7-1. And that would leave Elon with a loss to Woffy and a win over Appy, which creates a three-way tie and probably a coing flip, or win margin to decide the auto-bid. It could get fun folks...

Holla

appfan2008
October 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hey folks,

A lot of people are already handing the SoCon trophy to Appy or Elon.

Both are good teams, but one must not count out the little dogs of Woffy.

Even GaSouth could get hot and create havoc, as could Furman. But most likely it will come down to one of the trio of Appy, Woffy or Elon.

No one has talked about a very possible scenario, which is: Woffy beats Elon, loses to Appy, then wins the rest to finish 7-1. Appy beats GaSouth, loses to Elon and beats everyone else to finish 7-1. And that would leave Elon with a loss to Woffy and a win over Appy, which creates a three-way tie and probably a coing flip, or win margin to decide the auto-bid. It could get fun folks...

Holla
In that case it really doesnt matter bc all three teams will be in the playoffs and all will be able to fly a socon champions flag!

drpnut
October 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Imagine the scenario I offered earlier with Woffy, Elon and Appy all being tri-champs with 7-1 conference records. Then throw in Furple wih two losses and GaSouth with 2 losses. One of those two would be left out of the playoff picture. I just don't believe the SoCon would get 5 in, as much as we would like it.

Eaglegus2
October 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Georgia Southern has an opportunity to make a statement this week. Should the Eagles put together a complete game the SoCon race will have a new direction. As difficult as it may be, Georgia Southern could possibly win out and throw a wrench into everything for those already crowning their favorite Team as SoCon Champion.

Looking forward to App State coming to the 'Boro this weekend.

appstate38
October 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Yes the Apps have not played a complete game thus far. No one will doubt that. But what team really has against good teams. NO Wofford your win over UTC doesn't count. We played our most complete game against the Citadel and you see what the result was. When they do play a complete game look out. That can be said for any team in our league, well except for UTC and WCU(right now)

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Imagine the scenario I offered earlier with Woffy, Elon and Appy all being tri-champs with 7-1 conference records. Then throw in Furple wih two losses and GaSouth with 2 losses. One of those two would be left out of the playoff picture. I just don't believe the SoCon would get 5 in, as much as we would like it.

My guess is that Furman will hand a loss to either Wofford or App State. Only one team could go undefeated. ASU probably has the toughest remaining conference schedule, but a lot of those games are at home. GSU probably has easier games, but something like four of their last six are on the road.

james_lawfirm
October 13th, 2008, 01:06 PM
In that case it really doesnt matter bc all three teams will be in the playoffs and all will be able to fly a socon champions flag!

Well ... it does matter too, because the SoCon has an Automatic Qualifier. The coin toss would determine the AQ & the others would have to get in by the good graces of the playoff committee. I would scream "Unfair" if a So-Con co-champ did not get an invite, but it is possible given the committee makeup, especially if there were 3 or more co-champs.

james_lawfirm
October 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Only one team could go undefeated.

Well, DUH!!!

whoanellie
October 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM

some of the App-gripers wanting to put a "whole" game together geeze.
they want 86-7.
And 48-z at half. they have the best over-all talent in the division.
that's not saying they can't be beat.
but there are many games left in the season.
GSU, Wofford,Furman, WCU & Elon all of a shot at the champs.

BULLDOG8180
October 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
As impressive as Elon is this season, the defending 3-time national champs are still the king of the hill until (and unless) Elon (or someone else) knocks them off their perch, and at the same time, is able to sit alone on that perch themselves (ie, wins the conference outright).

1) App
2/3) Elon, Wofford
4/5) Furman, Citadel (TBD Saturday)
6) GaSouthern
7) Samford
8) Western
9) UTC

AGREED