PDA

View Full Version : UNI - Nicholls State

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Good game tonight. UNI started off poor, but put it away.

Nicholls State fans were great as expected. Wish we were making a return visit. I want to play at McNeese, NW St, or Nicholls.

The team was not as classy. They were talking trash to the fans before the game even started. They got a lot more quiet as the game progressed.

UNI fans were not innocent. We were glad to return the banter. I've never seen a team at any level so out of focus and looking and jawing into the stands. Not at any level. SoDakSt did a little, but the Colonels jawed all game until the middle of the 4th Qtr.

Have a safe trip home Colonels. Nothing but the best of luck the rest of the way.

BEAR
October 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
After watching that game, I thought UNI might play itself out of the top ten with all the injuries! Nicholls had a couple, but UNI seemed to lose a guy every series. Hope they're all ok. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Only player that didn't come back had a boot after halftime. I was told it was precautionary.

Can we play you guys? I would love a UCA series.

Chi Panther
October 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Physical game...

At one point, our top 3 players in Gray, Lewis and Ruffin had to leave the game.....xoopsx xmadx

MSUBear42
October 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Only player that didn't come back had a boot after halftime. I was told it was precautionary.

Don't steal our team! Long live the Bear Bowl xlolx

JoshUCA
October 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Don't steal our team! Long live the Bear Bowl xlolx

I can't wait to play you guys again! I am glad that we are playing you in men's basketball this season...but I'm afraid that game won't be as close as the football games! :o

JoshUCA
October 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM

I would love a series with you guys as well!

ur2k
October 3rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
How did this game wind up on ESPNU HD? Are there others scheduled for the valley or Southland?

danefan
October 3rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Note to UNI Fans: please raise money to replace that god awful old turf. You are just asking for injuries on that concrete carpet.

WrenFGun
October 3rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Congrats to Northern Iowa. Solid OOC win.

Khan4Cats
October 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Solid game by the Panthers on a short turnaround. Nicholls was able to get yardage in between the 30's, and showed enough of a passing threat early to keep us guessing, but in the end we just had more talent. It definitely looked like we had more "game conditioning" than Nicholls from halfway through the third period.

Was not impressed with some of the cheap shots Nicholls was taking or attempting to take at us, and their overall discipline was severely lacking. Not gonna win many games if you're more interested in yelling back at fans than just doing your job on the field.

The carpet may have caused one of the injuries in the game (I didn't watch a replay of the broken leg so I don't know if that was a tangle or his foot stuck). The one I'm talking about is the linebacker who injured an ankle when he was faked out by our quarterback. The injuries UNI's players suffered were the result of the action on the field, not the field. Ruffing was hit in the legs from behind with a cheap shot, Gray's injury was from landing on his back after a catch and the back of his head snapping onto the ground (pretty sure that type of a hit would knock most woozy). Lewis' injury came when he was in a vulnerable position was hit late, again, he would have probably been banged up on any surface. Does the carpet need to be replaced, yeah it's using up it's life, but it is not the primary cause of the injuries yesterday.

msupokes1
October 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Congrats to Northern Iowa. Solid OOC win.

How is it that when UNI plays NSU it is a solid OOC win but when McNeese beats them it is because the SLC is weak?

Chi Panther
October 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
How is it that when UNI plays NSU it is a solid OOC win but when McNeese beats them it is because the SLC is weak?

Just like its a good game if you beat WIU/MSU/Ill State......

UNIFanSince1983
October 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
They can't put the other type of turf down due to the facilities multi-purpose use...

UNI Pike
October 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Note to UNI Fans: please raise money to replace that god awful old turf. You are just asking for injuries on that concrete carpet.

Rumor is that the Athletic department is looking to replace the painted concrete that is at the bottom of the UNIDOME. Some of the issues with replacing the turf have been neutralized by the building of a facilities that will host most of the basketball, volleyball, and wrestling.

The main issue now is finding a place / method to store the turf when it needs to be taken up. There is not alot of extra space around the field, and there is no easy way to transport it out of the UNIDOME.

danefan
October 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
They can't put the other type of turf down due to the facilities multi-purpose use...

Uhhh....if they can do it in the Carrier Dome, they can do it in the UNI Dome.

Purple For Life
October 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Rumor is that the Athletic department is looking to replace the painted concrete that is at the bottom of the UNIDOME. Some of the issues with replacing the turf have been neutralized by the building of a facilities that will host most of the basketball, volleyball, and wrestling.

The main issue now is finding a place / method to store the turf when it needs to be taken up. There is not alot of extra space around the field, and there is no easy way to transport it out of the UNIDOME.

The only problem is that there are still large scale events--concerts and commencement, for example--that can't be held in the McLeod center.

UNI Pike
October 3rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Still, you are taking about 5-10 times a year during FB season versus daily conflict in late October - December every year.

rudy1648
October 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Was it just me, or is there usually so little crowd noise at a UNI football game? It sounded on TV like the mics were almost inside the broadcasting booth. After a UNI first down or even a score, all that could be heard was polite applause and the band playing. I would have thought that in a dome the noise would have been even louder than ouside, but it just seemed almost like applause at a concert. I could even hear the snap count being called out during the PAT. Not smacking at all,,,just an observation.

UNI Pike
October 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
That was a lame crowd - barely over half of the seats were filled. The Thursday night game kept many of the out of town ticket holders from going to the game. A large number of ticket holders live in cities 1 - 2 hours away (each way).

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
How did this game wind up on ESPNU HD? Are there others scheduled for the valley or Southland?

no :D

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM

not a money issue. we use the Dome for many other events.

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM

Not a solid OOC win. The SLC is weak.

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Was it just me, or is there usually so little crowd noise at a UNI football game? It sounded on TV like the mics were almost inside the broadcasting booth. After a UNI first down or even a score, all that could be heard was polite applause and the band playing. I would have thought that in a dome the noise would have been even louder than ouside, but it just seemed almost like applause at a concert. I could even hear the snap count being called out during the PAT. Not smacking at all,,,just an observation.

Lowest attended game I remember seeing in 19 years of going to almost every home game.

BEAR
I enjoyed the game but watching player after player go down on the concrete looked horrible. In the fourth quarter the Nicholls player that was faked out just crumbled to the ground in pain because of his inablility to turn his legs. xsmhx It looked so painful.

Hey, UNI fans, if your school is gonna invest in a new floor, why not also spend the money on a sideline? You almost lost a QB..guy had to duck under the wall after he went out of bounds! xlolx

Just kidding... place looked nice for it's age...according to the TV guy.

If you do happen to get a new floor, get the sparkly concrete spray paint so it glistens on TV. xlolx JK

Good game..I can see why your #10! xthumbsupx

danefan
not a money issue. we use the Dome for many other events.

Like I said before: Syracuse uses the Carrier Dome for many different events as well. They have had field turf since 2005.xrulesx

PantherRob82
Students also left early.

UNIFanSince1983
October 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
There were 9,000 people there and half of the students left at half time. If next weeks game or the NDSU game would be on ESPNU you would notice quite a bit different level of noise

Luther_Heggs
October 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
That old turf is getting to be an embarrassment. Sure, there are a few schools around that use it, but not many. As for multi-purpose...outside of the track underneath, it would be no different than every other indoor field that has gone with newer turf.

Can they roll the newer field turf up (to use the indoor track below)? I don't know. If not, maybe they give up the indoor track.

PantherRob82
October 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Like I said before: Syracuse uses the Carrier Dome for many different events as well. They have had field turf since 2005.xrulesx

We don't have the room to store the field turf trays.

patssle
October 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Not a solid OOC win. The SLC is weak.

So Nicholls is a solid OOC win, but isn't a solid OOC win, the SLC is weak, but McNeese is ranked top 5 with D2 and NAIA wins and based on last years rolling over as-mentioned weak SLC.

Common folks, lets get some consistency here.

Luther_Heggs
October 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
We don't have the room to store the field turf trays.

If it would need to be a modular type of installation...then I tend to agree with you. Just due to how the uni-dome was built, I am not sure they could accomodate that type of arrangement...without it being one of those $20,000,000 renovation projects.

That is a shame. It's hard to believe, but true, that UNI has a worse field than pretty much every division III and junior college (at least around me).

Maybe UNI should think about moving outdoors...

UNI Pike
October 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM

Syracuse athletic budget for 06-07 around $42.5 M per Daily Orange (http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2008/04/24/TheCostOfLosing/The-Cost.Of.Losing.Athletics.Has.Survived.Footballs.De cline.So.Far.Can.That.Co-3345322.shtml)
UNI athletic budget for 06-07 around $9.5 M

The turf will be replaced, just a question of when and with what. There are budgetary considerations... That and UNIDOME is built into a hill on 2 sides, which further limits the options for finding storage of field turf trays. The new AD is supposed to be working on it...

BTW - UNI v Syracuse in FB? I like our chances.

UNIFanSince1983
October 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
There are two former UNI players who are grad assistants for the Orange...

JohnStOnge
October 3rd, 2008, 08:06 PM
I haven't read all the posts but I watched the game. Basically, I think Nicholls State matched up physically with UNI well enough to have a chance to win. But they took themselves out of that chance with unforced mistakes...particularly penalties.

It would've been tough either way. But Northern Iowa did not physically dominate them at all.

Syntax Error
October 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
The team was not as classy. They were talking trash to the fans before the game even started. They got a lot more quiet as the game progressed.

UNI fans were not innocent...And I bet UNI fans got a lot louder as "as the game progressed." xlolx

FACT: Many players are rather shocked being on the UNIDOME sidelines. Fans are within about 10 feet of you. Different than almost any other place. Composure is lost at times.

danefan
October 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Syracuse athletic budget for 06-07 around $42.5 M per Daily Orange (http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2008/04/24/TheCostOfLosing/The-Cost.Of.Losing.Athletics.Has.Survived.Footballs.De cline.So.Far.Can.That.Co-3345322.shtml)
UNI athletic budget for 06-07 around $9.5 M

The turf will be replaced, just a question of when and with what. There are budgetary considerations... That and UNIDOME is built into a hill on 2 sides, which further limits the options for finding storage of field turf trays. The new AD is supposed to be working on it...

BTW - UNI v Syracuse in FB? I like our chances.

Didn't realize you guys had an indoor track in there. You'll definitely lose that. The indoor track in the carrier dome is no longer.

rudy1648
October 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
East Tenessee use to be in Southern Conf and had a mini dome much like UNI. Had a lot of the same problems. Cramped sidelines, hard field turf. It is almost like the Arena Football League,,,trying to squeeze a football field and fans into a smaller area. Lots of problems and very little room for expansion.

crunifan
October 3rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
East Tenessee use to be in Southern Conf and had a mini dome much like UNI. Had a lot of the same problems. Cramped sidelines, hard field turf. It is almost like the Arena Football League,,,trying to squeeze a football field and fans into a smaller area. Lots of problems and very little room for expansion.

Considering it was built in the mid-1970s, the Dome has held up very well. The side lines are not much of an issue, in fact we consider the fans close proximity a strength. Also, recent aesthetic changes at both endzones (including a new hall of fame and new locker rooms) have increase the appearance.

For as old a building as it is, it has held up well and is easily one of the best stadiums in I-AA.

Pantherpower
October 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I haven't read all the posts but I watched the game. Basically, I think Nicholls State matched up physically with UNI well enough to have a chance to win. But they took themselves out of that chance with unforced mistakes...particularly penalties.

It would've been tough either way. But Northern Iowa did not physically dominate them at all.

John, you have insightful posts and I enjoy them but I disagree with you on this one. I thought the Panthers were clearly more physical and it had a lot to do with the mistakes that were made along NSUs offensive line.

The surge that UNIs d-line created definitely had a role in NSU getting happy feet. While the UNI crowd often helps with this, they played little or no role in it on Thursday (I was at the game). In nearly thirty years of watching UNI football, I've never seen a more quiet atmosphere.

BisonBacker
October 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Most assuredly a result of having two games canceled this year.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2008, 11:08 AM
And I bet UNI fans got a lot louder as "as the game progressed." xlolx

FACT: Many players are rather shocked being on the UNIDOME sidelines. Fans are within about 10 feet of you. Different than almost any other place. Composure is lost at times.

It's true. I may have asked them why they were so quiet. :o

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Didn't realize you guys had an indoor track in there. You'll definitely lose that. The indoor track in the carrier dome is no longer.

Not an option.

Mountain Panther
October 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Which is why we have one of the best indoor track programs in the country.

UNI Pike
October 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
John, you have insightful posts and I enjoy them but I disagree with you on this one. I thought the Panthers were clearly more physical and it had a lot to do with the mistakes that were made along NSUs offensive line.

The surge that UNIs d-line created definitely had a role in NSU getting happy feet. While the UNI crowd often helps with this, they played little or no role in it on Thursday (I was at the game). In nearly thirty years of watching UNI football, I've never seen a more quiet atmosphere.

For those who don't know, Thursday is Sudoku night at the UNIDOME.