PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown-Colgate Game Cancelled

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/News/football/2008/10/2/foot1022008.asp?path=football

http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100208aaa.html

Georgetown University Director of Athletics Bernard Muir announced today that due to the outbreak of norovirus on campus, the football game at Colgate on Saturday at 1 p.m. will not be played.

The rest of the release is another paragraph saying there's no makeup date yet. At the moment, it seems unlikely there will be one given Colgate's only remaining open date is 11/15 and Georgetown's is 11/22

I was going to be at this game too :( xbawlingx :( xbawlingx

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Colgate's Homecoming matchup; weather looked pretty good, too. But no question you have to think of the health of the kids first. There will be other games.

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I absolutely agree G'town made the right decision. They have to act in the best interests of their students, and it was also in the best interest of Colgate's xnodx

I'm just disappointed because this was the only game I was going to be able to attend this year :(

Model Citizen
October 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Crazy idea--

wondering if North Dakota would give Colgate enough of a paycheck to fly a travel squad west for 11/15. The Sioux only scheduled 10 games this year. Southern Utah is their only D-I home game.

Would 'Gate's draw justify 50-60 grand? If the weather isn't too nasty, they might beat the 11,000 they drew for the season opener.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&KEY=&SPID=6399&SPSID=58644

Grizzaholic
October 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
What is Norovirus? A little lazy tonight.

Model Citizen
October 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Mom and Dad probably called it "stomach flu." Stuff coming out of both ends.

Model Citizen
October 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Haven't Colgate and North Dakota played hockey a few times?

Grizzaholic
October 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Mom and Dad probably called it "stomach flu." Stuff coming out of both ends.

Well I can see why the game would be canceled. You wouldn't want to tackle somebody that had something coming out of both ends.

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Crazy idea--

wondering if North Dakota would give Colgate enough of a paycheck to fly a travel squad west for 11/15. The Sioux only scheduled 10 games this year. Southern Utah is their only D-I home game.

Would 'Gate's draw justify 50-60 grand? If the weather isn't too nasty, they might beat the 11,000 they drew for the season opener.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&KEY=&SPID=6399&SPSID=58644

Interesting idea, but the real problem with our schedule this year is that we have no open date to fill this new gap in the League schedule. Essentially, we need a game with G'town because we need/want a full slate of conference games. If we were to be able to get this game rescheduled, we'd have a full 12 games. No way they'd add another trip to the schedule, especially given we have aspirations to be playing a 13th game anyway ;)

I am intrigued and interested by the idea of a game or series with NoDak. We haven't played them recent years in hockey, but I wouldn't be opposed to that series either xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Georgetown's only open date is the last week of the season, when Colgate meets Holy Cross. Barring a mid-week game or some major PL reshuffling, the game might not be made up.

Model Citizen
October 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
the game might not be made up.

That was my assumption.

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Georgetown's only open date is the last week of the season, when Colgate meets Holy Cross. Barring a mid-week game or some major PL reshuffling, the game might not be made up.

I suggested it in the other thread, but what do you think?

Colgate drops their OOC game next weekend against Princeton

Georgetown drops their OOC game next weekend against Penn

Georgetown visits Colgate on 10/11 to make up the game

Maybe? xconfusedx

colorless raider
October 2nd, 2008, 09:31 PM

You have to play League games as the PL is so small every game counts since we all seem to knock each other off. I agree cancel Princeton and Hoyas cancel Penn.

Model Citizen
October 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Tell us more about the GU-Colgate game in the Hoya's first PL season.

LehighFan11
October 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Yea they need to find a way to play this game. I agree cancel any OOC games they can.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Yea they need to find a way to play this game. I agree cancel any OOC games they can.

I think it's vital they do so. If, say, Colgate goes 4-1 and Fordham and Holy Cross go 5-1, there will be an ugly situation brewing. In that case, it could theoretically go to the ADs of Lehigh, Lafayette, G'Town and Bucknell to decide the league champion.

I agree with others here - they ought to try to cancel/"reschedule" the Ivy games and play the league game. Maybe play them the week of Thanksgiving if they're not in the playoffs.

Colgate's loss of Princeton on the schedule wouldn't hurt their postseason chances any since they were playing 12 games already - without the Tigers, they're still at 11 games.

However, is the Ivy League willing to play ball on this? Give two teams bye weeks, while the rest of the league plays 10 straight games? I don't think that will fly - especially since Princeton would have a "week of rest" before playing Brown, one of the early contenders for the title. (Penn's week of rest before the game against Dartmouth might be less contentious.)

I don't think this is going to fly.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2008, 04:24 AM
Tell us more about the GU-Colgate game in the Hoya's first PL season.

The two teams did not play that year.

WildPard
October 3rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Seems strange that only football was cancelled. What are they doing about other sports for the weekend---swimming, soccer, cross country, tennis, softball, lacrosse, etc??

patssle
October 3rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Hey Colgate, fly down to SHSU today, we can play tomorrow! We still needed a makeup game for the hurricane...

Eight Legger
October 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Hey Hoyas, don't try to pull this for OUR homecoming game against you in a few weeks. . . we are looking forward to that game! :D

appfan2008
October 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
that is too bad i hope the kids get better...

ColgateTD
October 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
I don't think the Ivies are going to go along with an open date for the Tigers. What about shifting the HC game to 11/29 and moving the G'town game into the HC slot on 11/22. I know it's T'giving recess, but that hasn't stopped teams from playing in the past. Look at the Brown-Penn series that was a staple of T'giving Saturdays for years. (..maybe it still is - too lazy to check)

My gripe is that this was Homecoming and I had my burgers ready to go and the barbie all fired up!....:D

LehighFan11
October 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
If colgate cancels one of their Ivy games and makes up the game with GTown. What are the chances they fill their open spot with another national team? Cal Poly still needs a game. I know some other teams have been mentioned above. I would be surpised if they pulled it off, but then again they've had a very national schedule this year.

EmeryZach
October 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Wow, crazy situation. I don't think I've heard of a game getting cancelled for this before. They can't just sit out the sick players, or is it way too many kids?

carney2
October 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
However, is the Ivy League willing to play ball on this?

Princeton has a history of not "playing ball" in this area. A few years ago Easton was flooded and the Lafayette team bus would have a very difficult time getting into Easton to pick up the team, and then an even more difficult time getting out of Easton and across the Delaware River for the drive to Princeton, NJ. Tigger's response was: "Your problem. The game starts at 6:00. Be there."

I agree with LFN. This is not Princeton's or Penn's problem. The Patriot League will have to go to a mid-week game where at least one of the teams plays 3 times in 8 days, or will have to concoct some sort of "political" arrangement which allows these teams into the championship/post-season mix with one fewer game played.

Kudos to the folks at 'gate for not making unreasonable demands ("It's our home game. We have tickets sold. People have made plans. Yada. Yada.") in what is apparently a bad situation.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Georgetown should forfeit. They aren't going win and the one less game for Colgate problem is solved.

Sorry but it is true
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

carney2
October 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Georgetown should forfeit. They aren't going win and the one less game for Colgate problem is solved.

I've enjoyed many of your posts, but this one is idiotic. Why schedule the game in the first place if everyone "knows" who is going to win? Whatever happened to "that's why they play the game?"

colorless raider
October 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Princeton has a history of not "playing ball" in this area. A few years ago Easton was flooded and the Lafayette team bus would have a very difficult time getting into Easton to pick up the team, and then an even more difficult time getting out of Easton and across the Delaware River for the drive to Princeton, NJ. Tigger's response was: "Your problem. The game starts at 6:00. Be there."

I agree with LFN. This is not Princeton's or Penn's problem. The Patriot League will have to go to a mid-week game where at least one of the teams plays 3 times in 8 days, or will have to concoct some sort of "political" arrangement which allows these teams into the championship/post-season mix with one fewer game played.

Kudos to the folks at 'gate for not making unreasonable demands ("It's our home game. We have tickets sold. People have made plans. Yada. Yada.") in what is apparently a bad situation.

Well it should be a forfeit. You can't ask Gate to play a mid week game. Have all games with G'town not count is my take.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I've enjoyed many of your posts, but this one is idiotic. Why schedule the game in the first place if everyone "knows" who is going to win? Whatever happened to "that's why they play the game?"

xlolx xlolx Hey, can't I be idiotic everyone once in a while if I wantxmadx xsmiley_wix

I did put these at the bottom of the page:o :o xpeacex

colorless raider
October 3rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
xlolx xlolx Hey, can't I be idiotic everyone once in a while if I wantxmadx xsmiley_wix

I did put these at the bottom of the page:o :o xpeacex

Carney just wants to "waste" Colgate with a mid week game. Stupid. It's a forfeit! Thei may be the last gasp for the Hoyas. I feel for DFW. Let's see if the commissioner can make a decision???

brownbear
October 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think the Ivies are going to go along with an open date for the Tigers. What about shifting the HC game to 11/29 and moving the G'town game into the HC slot on 11/22. I know it's T'giving recess, but that hasn't stopped teams from playing in the past. Look at the Brown-Penn series that was a staple of T'giving Saturdays for years. (..maybe it still is - too lazy to check)

My gripe is that this was Homecoming and I had my burgers ready to go and the barbie all fired up!....:D

You can't play it on 11/29 because that is the first week of the playoffs. The reason for playing the game is to determine who gets the PL auto-bid, and you can't exactly have the final PL game during the playoffs.

LehighFan11
October 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
Forfeit isn't the right way to go. Colgate and Gtown either need to find a way to play the game by canceling OOC games or they must play a mid week game. What about playing the game after the regular season on that Monday or Tuesday? If it comes to a position where that game matters to who will represent the PL in the playoffs. Yea it sucks, that would mean Colgate would have short rest for the Gtown game and then short rest if they make the playoffs. Think of it as a "play in game".

danefan
October 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
If you push it off until the end of the season then you can know whether the games actually needs to be played.

If the AQ is already locked up, then you don't need to play it.

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM

Exactly-- dont expect Princeton to budge as they only schedule 10 games to begin with. True Story-- Lafayette was scheduled to play Princeton the Saturday after September 11th. Both campus's are about 1 1/2 drive to NYC or less, so many students, fans and alumni live in or near NYC. Anyway right after the attacks Lafayette officials were of course like "we are cancelling the game right" and Princeton absolutely refused. Even after the NFL cancelled the entire week of games Princeton still wanted to play. They finally cancelled the game when it became apparent they would be hosting virtually the only college or pro game the entire weekend-- all within spitting distance of NYC. My point is doint expect Penn or Princeton to cancel a game. The best solution apppears to play it at the end of the season and hope it doesnt inpact the league race. Frankly it may not as I believe the league will come down to Lafayette and HC, but you can never count out the 'Gate.

UAalum72
October 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Wow, crazy situation. I don't think I've heard of a game getting cancelled for this before. They can't just sit out the sick players, or is it way too many kids?
In 1969 Holy Cross cancelled the last 8 or 9 games of the season when the whole team got hepatitis from an infected water fountain by the practice field.

http://www.holycross.edu/departments/publicaffairs/hcm/fall04/features/feature1.html

carney2
October 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Carney just wants to "waste" Colgate with a mid week game.

xsmiley_wix If not suspensions, expulsions, prison sentences, then this.xnonox

EmeryZach
October 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
If a team can not field enough players to play a game shouldn't that ruling be a forfeit? Or is there a seperate rule on the books that in rare cases, such as this one, the game is just cancelled and not forfeited?

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
If a team can not field enough players to play a game shouldn't that ruling be a forfeit? Or is there a seperate rule on the books that in rare cases, such as this one, the game is just cancelled and not forfeited?

Technically it probably should have been a forfeit, however Colgate officials did the smart and classy thing and agreed to cancel/postpone the game to protect the players and hopefully get a full strength game in at some point.

carney2
October 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
If a team can not field enough players to play a game shouldn't that ruling be a forfeit?

I don't know chapter and verse, but the home team acceded to the request for a cancellation, postponement, whatever. Unless there is some problem later on with rescheduling I would think that takes all of this rule booking off the table.

darell1976
October 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
We need more games. Come play us!!!!

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Technically it probably should have been a forfeit, however Colgate officials did the smart and classy thing and agreed to cancel/postpone the game to protect the players and hopefully get a full strength game in at some point.

That makes some sense--in addition, a forfeit makes any possible rescheduling out of the question.

To the question above, football was not the only sport to cancel games. Swimming canceled a meet, and women's soccer announced today canceling both weekend games in conference play.

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Exactly-- dont expect Princeton to budge as they only schedule 10 games to begin with. True Story-- Lafayette was scheduled to play Princeton the Saturday after September 11th. Both campus's are about 1 1/2 drive to NYC or less, so many students, fans and alumni live in or near NYC. Anyway right after the attacks Lafayette officials were of course like "we are cancelling the game right" and Princeton absolutely refused. Even after the NFL cancelled the entire week of games Princeton still wanted to play. They finally cancelled the game when it became apparent they would be hosting virtually the only college or pro game the entire weekend-- all within spitting distance of NYC. My point is doint expect Penn or Princeton to cancel a game. The best solution apppears to play it at the end of the season and hope it doesnt inpact the league race. Frankly it may not as I believe the league will come down to Lafayette and HC, but you can never count out the 'Gate.

This unfairly singles out Princeton. After 9/11, a lot of the northeast schools wanted to play on 9/15 as a "screw-you" gesture to the terrorists. Columbia and Fordham almost played as well, as did Colgate and Dartmouth. Rutgers also struggled with the issue. Mark Murphy, Colgate's AD at the time, did not cancel the game until the Friday morning before. I can remember discussing the issue with him by e-mail and he advised me of the foregoing.

Franks Tanks
October 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
This unfairly singles out Princeton. After 9/11, a lot of the northeast schools wanted to play on 9/15 as a "screw-you" gesture to the terrorists. Columbia and Fordham almost played as well, as did Colgate and Dartmouth. Rutgers also struggled with the issue. Mark Murphy, Colgate's AD at the time, did not cancel the game until the Friday morning before. I can remember discussing the issue with him by e-mail and he advised me of the foregoing.

My error is noted. I knew of the Princeton situation, but wasnt aware of the others. I understand the "screw you" sentiment no one really felt like playing football at the time.

WrenFGun
October 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
This is a tough situation.

It would seem that nothing should be shifted around until the end of the season, to absolutely see if a Colgate win over Georgetown would impact playoff races. It would not, then they could play the game as planned that next weekend.

If, however, the game did matter, then it would be interesting. I think you'd have to play the game no later than Tuesday or Wednesday, and then you'd have to match the "Patriot League Champion To be Determined Later" as a matchup with a certain team when the playoff brackets come out (Say UNH/PL Champ, for example). Unfortunately, if Colgate were then to catapult into the playoffs, they'd be on three days rest twice and would have virtually no shot. Not sure how it would work.

If the Ivies would reschedule, that would be best.

carney2
October 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM

It would seem that nothing should be shifted around until the end of the season, to absolutely see if a Colgate win over Georgetown would impact playoff races. It would not, then they could play the game as planned that next weekend.

If, however, the game did matter, then it would be interesting. I think you'd have to play the game no later than Tuesday or Wednesday, and then you'd have to match the "Patriot League Champion To be Determined Later" as a matchup with a certain team when the playoff brackets come out (Say UNH/PL Champ, for example). Unfortunately, if Colgate were then to catapult into the playoffs, they'd be on three days rest twice and would have virtually no shot. Not sure how it would work.

Unreasonable. That would mean that as many as 3 Patriot League teams would be "on hold" and increasing athletic department expenditures for a "possibility. The 22nd is it. Over and out. Playoff pairings are announced on the 23rd, and life goes on. This thing cannot remain in limbo until the end of the season.

Lehigh Football Nation
I think if Colgate is in the hunt for a playoff bid, the conference autobid will come down to a dreaded "vote with the ADs" of all the non-playoff schools.

If Colgate goes 5-0 and Georgetown goes 1-4 or 0-5, Colgate probably would be voted the autobid anyway. If Georgetown goes 3-2 (remember they're already 0-2) there could be an issue, but no disrespect to G'Town that's an unlikely scenario.

If Lafayette, HC or someone else goes undefeated in league play, of course, then it's a moot point.

The only issue comes up if Colgate has 1 loss and the rest of the teams have 1 or 2 losses. Then you have a mess, but the way the league is structured it still would be a mess anyway.

LehighFan11
Unreasonable. That would mean that as many as 3 Patriot League teams would be "on hold" and increasing athletic department expenditures for a "possibility. The 22nd is it. Over and out. Playoff pairings are announced on the 23rd, and life goes on. This thing cannot remain in limbo until the end of the season.

So then when do we play the game? Not play it and leave it up to the AD's to vote?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
So then when do we play the game? Not play it and leave it up to the AD's to vote?

At this point, it's the only solution. :(

ngineer
October 3rd, 2008, 02:10 PM

It may have to be. Significant ramifications in a multi-team race for the championship. If one team ends up 5-1 and Colgate is 4-1, how would your rectify (a good term considering the norovirus!:D )....If 'gate had allowed their team to be exposed to the Hoyas, they may have gone a 'run'...

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM

If the Ivies would reschedule, that would be best.

Colgate Men are always up to the roughest of challenges, be they numerous all-nighters in a row (after not studying all semester xreadx), consumption of a dozen kegs before sundown (or sunup, for that matter xrotatehx) or balancing the interest of two or three ladies in the same evening xsmiley_wix. Playing three football games in two weeks - NO PROBLEM for a Colgate Man! :) :D xlolx

elonpuckhog
October 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
I see it this way as an outside observer with no rooting interest in the game. 1. It stinks that one team got sick. A friend had norovirus last year and it is not fun. To expose another team to this would be terrible, so I agree, you don't play this week.
2. I think one of the problems is that Penn and Princeton are both Ivy League teams. I could see where a deal was brokered between the two teams Gate and Georgetown should have played to have them play each other a week later so Gate and the Hoyas could play. But since I assume Penn and Princeton are already playing this season, that's not possible. I wouldn't want to be in on these discussions though.
Good luck to both teams in making up the game.

MR. CHICKEN
October 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM

PLAY IT......NOVEMBERAH 29th.....LIKE YA'LL GONNAH BE BUSY DAT DAY.....xsmhx.....BRAWK!

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
PLAY IT......NOVEMBERAH 29th.....LIKE YA'LL GONNAH BE BUSY DAT DAY.....xsmhx.....BRAWK!

We may be busy that day, Mr. Chicken....in the Play-offs!

colorless raider
October 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
We may be busy that day, Mr. Chicken....in the Play-offs!

This is just another blow for Hoya football. How do you think the healthy players feel? What an empty feeling.