PDA

View Full Version : Can We Put Marc Mariani in the Payton Discussion Yet?

mvemjsunpx
September 28th, 2008, 02:11 AM
And Cole Bergquist, too.

Mariani - 126.2 receiving yds/game

. . . 22.0 yds/catch

. . . 7 touchdowns in 4 games

Bergquist - 972 yds. of total offense

. . . . 64.0 completion %

. . . . 9.2 yds/att

. . . . 4.5:1 TD:INT ratio

. . . . 10 total TDs in about 3.5 games

. . . . 167.3 efficiency rating

th0m
September 28th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Why Bergquist? Because he had such a big game against a DII team you barely beat? (no smack, just wondering)

mvemjsunpx
September 28th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Why Bergquist? Because he had such a big game against a DII team you barely beat? (no smack, just wondering)

Well, look at his stats on the season (that's for all 4 games).

I'm not saying Bergquist should necessarily win it, but he should at least be in the discussion if he continues on this pace.

th0m
September 28th, 2008, 05:09 AM
@ Weber State after their decent performance at Utah, and @ EWU will definitely tell more of the tale.

Wolfman
September 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Berquist is not even the best QB in the Big Sky, let alone the best offensive player in the nation.

Mariani should be a legit contender. The only problem for him is that Berquist can only look at one receiver per play, and looks for his buddy Ferriter 75% of the time. Hauck should put an end to the crap, but doesn't. Mariani is one of the most dangerous weapons in FCS football, but does not get thrown to enough. Phenicie should design some plays to get him the ball in space, like a jailbreak screen, or reverse. But, to ask something that creative of Phen Phen is like asking Green26 to admit to a mistake.

Grizzaholic
September 28th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Berquist is not even the best QB in the Big Sky, let alone the best offensive player in the nation.

Mariani should be a legit contender. The only problem for him is that Berquist can only look at one receiver per play, and looks for his buddy Ferriter 75% of the time. Hauck should put an end to the crap, but doesn't. Mariani is one of the most dangerous weapons in FCS football, but does not get thrown to enough. Phenicie should design some plays to get him the ball in space, like a jailbreak screen, or reverse. But, to ask something that creative of Phen Phen is like asking Green26 to admit to a mistake.

Against UC Davis I think Ferriter got one catch and Mariani had 9.

katstrapper
September 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I think you can start talking about putting Rhett Bomar on that list. If he puts up big number with two victories over Central Arkansas and McNeese in the next several weeks, he will be in the hunt for this honor....Berquist's numbers not much different than Bomar.

Currents Stats(after 3 games played)...

62-97, 878 yds 10 tds 3 ints 167.79

Game by Game...

East Central Ok 14-22, 198 tds 4tds 0 ints (played 1st half only)

Prarie View game cancelled

Kansas 26-46, 340yds 1 td 3 ints

Gardner Webb 22-29, 340yds 5tds 0 ints (played 3quarters)

TOTAL OFFENSE
3GMS 111 ATT 65 Rushing 878 Passing 943 Total Avg/game 314.3 11 total TD's

Wolfman
September 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I think you can start talking about putting Rhett Bomar on that list. If he puts up big number with two victories over Central Arkansas and McNeese in the next several weeks, he will be in the hunt for this honor....

Currents Stats(after 3 games played)...

62-97, 878 yds 10 tds 3 ints 167.79

Game by Game...

East Central Ok 14-22, 198 tds 4tds 0 ints (played 1st half only)

Prarie View game cancelled

Kansas 26-46, 340yds 1 td 3 ints

Gardner Webb 22-29, 340yds 5tds 0 ints (played 3quarters)

God, I would think so. He was one of the top high school QBs in the nation, and would have been a 3-year starter for the number one IA team in the nation.

slostang
September 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Don't confuse old Wolfie with such small details like facts. They get in the way of his Hauck hating. When someone brings them up the way he counters is to attack the person while ignoring the facts. Come on Grizzaholic, I thought you knew better.xnonox

Grizzaholic
September 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Don't confuse old Wolfie with such small details like facts. They get in the way of his Hauck hating. When someone brings them up the way he counters is to attack the person while ignoring the facts. Come on Grizzaholic, I thought you knew better.xnonox

Sorry, I just didn't know what came over me. I will stop now. Thanks for the reality check Slostang.

mtgrizfan4life
September 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Pot meet Kettle! xwhistlex (same ole same ole from Wolfie) . Kind of ironic he can only bash from his chair. Yet he has probably never coached a game of football beyond Madden or Stratomatic. Meaning if you were so damn smart in football you would not have time to be bashing here.

Seriously, if you are such a football expert, Why not prove it and coach at the collegiate level? I will take anything any coach says over you anytime regarding football.

BarefootApp
September 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I flew to Missoula in July, and, being an old FCS fan, had to see Wa-Griz. Couldn't sneak in (for pictures) anywhere because of all the construction. I ran into Mariani and he guided me through to the field. It was a great experience for me, talking to players, coaches, etc. He is a very polite and classy kid (telling my age here), and I wish him the best. If he checks out this site...."thanks".

Wolfman
September 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Pot meet Kettle! xwhistlex (same ole same ole from Wolfie) . Kind of ironic he can only bash from his chair. Yet he has probably never coached a game of football beyond Madden or Stratomatic. Meaning if you were so damn smart in football you would not have time to be bashing here.

Seriously, if you are such a football expert, Why not prove it and coach at the collegiate level? I will take anything any coach says over you anytime regarding football.

Your boy Bobby Hauck never played college football, and was never anything higher than a secondary coach, yet you suck up to him like he was the second coming of Knute Rockne. Don't be a tool. xlolx

Wolfman
September 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I flew to Missoula in July, and, being an old FCS fan, had to see Wa-Griz. Couldn't sneak in (for pictures) anywhere because of all the construction. I ran into Mariani and he guided me through to the field. It was a great experience for me, talking to players, coaches, etc. He is a very polite and classy kid (telling my age here), and I wish him the best. If he checks out this site...."thanks".

I don't know him, but everything I hear about him is positive. He embodies what Montana football used to be about, and what it is still about except for an infection on the team which was hopefully excised last season, but could return at any time because of certain conditions prevalent in the Missoula area currently.

Wolfman
September 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=slostang;1124669]Don't confuse old Wolfie with such small details like facts. They get in the way of his Hauck hating. When someone brings them up the way he counters is to attack the person while ignoring the facts. Come on Grizzaholic, I thought you knew better.xnonox

Haven't you sniffed enough bear rear-end this season? You must be growing hair clear up to your ears by now. If one looked up the word "wannbe" in the dictionary, your picture would be next to it, from the neck down, your head being obscurred by that bear arse. xlolx

slostang
September 28th, 2008, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=slostang;1124669]Don't confuse old Wolfie with such small details like facts. They get in the way of his Hauck hating. When someone brings them up the way he counters is to attack the person while ignoring the facts. Come on Grizzaholic, I thought you knew better.xnonox

Haven't you sniffed enough bear rear-end this season? You must be growing hair clear up to your ears by now. If one looked up the word "wannbe" in the dictionary, your picture would be next to it, from the neck down, your head being obscurred by that bear arse. xlolx

I'll be in Missoula next year to see the Mustangs take on the Griz. Maybe you can tell me in person little man.

slostang
September 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Here is a little fact that Grizzaholic brought up to counter your arguement that Cole Berquist only looks for his buddy Ferrieter 75% of the time. Just a week ago he had one catch and Mariani had 9. Of course instead of addressing the facts, you go on the attack and take a shot at me.

How about also addressing how you say in one thread that Hauck is such a bad recruiter to prove that he is a bad coach, but in another you say that the Griz have the best athletes by far in the Big Sky and maybe even the FCS. Correct me if I am wrong, but all those players were recruited by Hauck. This should be interesting.

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Here is a little fact that Grizzaholic brought up to counter your arguement that Cole Berquist only looks for his buddy Ferrieter 75% of the time. Just a week ago he had one catch and Mariani had 9. Of course instead of addressing the facts, you go on the attack and take a shot at me.

How about also addressing how you say in one thread that Hauck is such a bad recruiter to prove that he is a bad coach, but in another you say that the Griz have the best athletes by far in the Big Sky and maybe even the FCS. Correct me if I am wrong, but all those players were recruited by Hauck. This should be interesting.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, stang. Wolfie is down for the count. xlolx

http://www.bruceongames.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/knockout-punch.jpg

FCS Go!
September 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Sorry, I just didn't know what came over me. I will stop now. Thanks for the reality check Slostang.

The "ignore" function is your friend. xsmiley_wix

FCS Go!
September 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
If Mariani can keep up this pace on TDs for the rest of the year he'll be on the final list (not a "finalist"). WRs have a tough go of it vs. QBs and RBs though.

smallcollegefbfan
September 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Mariani should be in the discussion. Coulson is supposed to be updating the lists the first week of October so we should find out soon if he makes the list.

smallcollegefbfan
September 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM

I know everyone is going to put the Griz down for barely beating a D2 team but that D2 team probably will have 2 draft picks this year, more than 95 percent of FCS teams. They are no pushover and even App, JMU, etc. would have to take them seriously or else they could lose.

Maroon&White
September 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Mariani should be in the discussion. Coulson is supposed to be updating the lists the first week of October so we should find out soon if he makes the list.

Will Coulson or his much needed intern be doing it?

GrizFanIRAQ
September 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
RECEIVING GP No. Yds Avg TD Long Avg/G
-------------------------------------------------
Marc Mariani 4 23 505 22.0 7 66 126.2

bshgriz
September 28th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I know everyone is going to put the Griz down for barely beating a D2 team but that D2 team probably will have 2 draft picks this year, more than 95 percent of FCS teams. They are no pushover and even App, JMU, etc. would have to take them seriously or else they could lose.

And they turned the ball over 5 times.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Your whining is so pathetic, emotional and without substance it defies logic. Ferriter has 17 receptions on the season, Mariani has 23 on the season. The insignificance of your opinions has reached a nearly unbelievable status.

smallcollegefbfan
September 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM

I'm sure that contributed but CWU is a very good D2 team that while Montana should beat by more than 3 points they also can't overlook them. Everyone got on Michigan about their arrogance with ASU last year and I feel like FCS teams have to watch out with good D2 teams or else they will do the same thing.

crusader11
September 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Right now, Jordan Scott may be the favorite to get the Payton Award. Kid is averaging just over 200 yards rushing a game, and has 9 touchdowns in 4 games. He's averaging an astounding 6.1 yards a carry.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Actually CW made the plays and took the ball away.

uofmman1122
September 29th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Actually CW made the plays and took the ball away.Strangely enough, I agree with Alpha. Somewhat. xlolx

Thomas Brooks-Fletcher got popped, even though he had pretty good control of the ball. Little he could have done.
Bergquist got stripped hardcore. All the props go to the guy who stripped it and took it in for the TD.Since I can't remember the 5th turnover (Aside from the Mariani punt fumble, and the Bergquist Int.) I can't say if the fifth was caused by CWU, or if we made a bad decision.

I can probably count the number of times I've ever agreed with Alpha on one hand, but in this case I'd have to agree. xrotatehxxlolx

Peems
October 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Bump. Mariani caught his 12th touchdown yesterday

KleinTx05
October 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Bump. Mariani caught his 12th touchdown yesterday

Cameron Luke caught his 13th Touchdown yesterday ...Bumpxsmiley_wix ...Naw jk but been keeping up with Mariani, what a great yr this kid is having. Good luck to him for the rest of the season!!

GolfingGriz
October 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
If Higgins weren't having as incredible a year as he is, either Mariani or Bergquist would be BSC offensive MVP. When they do the next update one of them needs to be on the list.

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Mariani will need 20 TDs to make the final list. I think Cole has a better shot at making the final list though he'll need more yards (and attempts/completions).

GolfingGriz
October 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Mariani will need 20 TDs to make the final list. I think Cole has a better shot at making the final list though he'll need more yards (and attempts/completions).

Maybe so but Cole has been spectacular his last three games. His stats aren't great(there not bad either), but he is managing the game perfectly and the blowout wins show this.

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Maybe so but Cole has been spectacular his last three games. His stats aren't great(there not bad either), but he is managing the game perfectly and the blowout wins show this.

They aren't?

Bergquist is second in the nation is passing efficiency, slightly ahead of Higgins.

GrizRchattybound
October 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM

That D2 would beat over half the FCS teams.

Just an FYI- their QB may go higher in the NFL draft than any of the FCS as a true QB.

Peems
November 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Chalk one up for Marc again! He does have a shot at 20 TDs, it'll be tough especially with another great WR like Ferriter on the team, but the chance still exists.

Grizzaholic
November 2nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Chalk one up for Marc again! He does have a shot at 20 TDs, it'll be tough especially with another great WR like Ferriter on the team, but the chance still exists.

Ferriter had 2 today, right?

mvemjsunpx
November 2nd, 2008, 12:09 AM

Mariani & Ferriter have 22 combined touchdowns.

Mariani, Ferriter, & Reynolds have 31 combined touchdowns.

mtgrizfan4life
November 2nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Mariani & Ferriter have 22 combined touchdowns.

Mariani, Ferriter, & Reynolds have 31 combined touchdowns.

All Montana kids too. Also Palmer (1), Schmidt (2), Selle (4) Beaudin (1), are Montana kids with TDS this year. that makes 38 TDs this year from in state kids. Not bad for a small state. Many more Montana kids waiting in the wings too. :) xthumbsupx

mlbowl
November 2nd, 2008, 01:02 AM

That argument doesn't wash unless you're CAA or SoCon