PDA

View Full Version : Elon Pro Day

PhoenixPhan06
September 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM
While we've yet to have such a thing, Jr. All-American WR Terrell Hudgins is continuing to show that he is the premier WR in the FCS and one of the best in all of college football. Last week, he set the SoCon record for career TD's and once his time is done at Elon, he will own every major SoCon receiving record and more than likely a few national records. At 6'3, 235 lbs., he causes mismatches that warrent double and sometimes triple coverage. He has good speed and catcher's mits for hands.

Other players that are getting attention from NFL scouts are special teamers Sr. P Brandon Lane and Sr. K Andrew Wilcox. Both have garnered SoCon POW and All-Conference accolades throughout their careers and could find themselves on an NFL roster some day.

citdog
September 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM
While we've yet to have such a thing, Jr. All-American WR Terrell Hudgins is continuing to show that he is the premier WR in the FCS and one of the best in all of college football. Last week, he set the SoCon record for career TD's and once his time is done at Elon, he will own every major SoCon receiving record and more than likely a few national records. At 6'3, 235 lbs., he causes mismatches that warrent double and sometimes triple coverage. He has good speed and catcher's mits for hands.

Other players that are getting attention from NFL scouts are special teamers Sr. P Brandon Lane and Sr. K Andrew Wilcox. Both have garnered SoCon POW and All-Conference accolades throughout their careers and could find themselves on an NFL roster some day.

HUDGINS ISN'T EVEN THE BEST RECEIVER IN THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE.....CADET ANDRE ROBERTS HAS THAT DISTINCTION

smallcollegefbfan
September 24th, 2008, 06:57 PM

While Hudgins is very good and one of the best in the nation I don't see him going higher than the 5th-6th round because he will run in the 4.6 or 4.7 range. The word around is that he ran in the 4.7s for scouts this past spring.

smallcollegefbfan
September 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM

While I agree with you he is one of the best in the nation, if he runs in the 4.7s like he did this past spring I would be shocked if he went higher than the 6th or 7th round. He is just as productive as Barden but I think Barden goes much higher like in the 2nd-3rd round area.

PhoenixPhan06
September 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM
HUDGINS ISN'T EVEN THE BEST RECEIVER IN THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE.....CADET ANDRE ROBERTS HAS THAT DISTINCTION

While it wouldn't be fair to compare season totals since we've played one more game, the glaring differences between Hudgins and Roberts are the accolades.

Both are Juniors, and in Hudgins time at Elon he already has the SoCon record for Career TD's and Career Receptions. If that wasn't enough, he and teamate Michael Mayers broke an NCAA record for total receptions by teamates in a season. The previous record holders included a guy by the name of Jerry Rice xbowx xbowx

If you can tell me anything that Roberts has accomplished over his career that compares, or comes close, to what Hudgins has done in the same amount of time, be my guest! Mark my words, when his time is done at Elon, Terrell Hudgins will be the best receiver the SoCon has EVER hadxsmileyclapx

citdog
September 25th, 2008, 09:37 AM
While it wouldn't be fair to compare season totals since we've played one more game, the glaring differences between Hudgins and Roberts are the accolades.

Both are Juniors, and in Hudgins time at Elon he already has the SoCon record for Career TD's and Career Receptions. If that wasn't enough, he and teamate Michael Mayers broke an NCAA record for total receptions by teamates in a season. The previous record holders included a guy by the name of Jerry Rice xbowx xbowx

If you can tell me anything that Roberts has accomplished over his career that compares, or comes close, to what Hudgins has done in the same amount of time, be my guest! Mark my words, when his time is done at Elon, Terrell Hudgins will be the best receiver the SoCon has EVER hadxsmileyclapx

elon throws the ball 50 times per game...and has no running attack....The Citadel throws the ball 20-30 times per game.... Cadet Roberts also returns punts two for touchdowns this season....in the FBS games Cadet Roberts shows he is a better receiver as the 9 catches for 153yds and a ttouchdown against Klempsin Cow College prove....the head to head matchup betwixt the schools the last two seasons speaks volumes about the differences between these two fine receivers.....Cadet Roberts is faster, has better hands, and does more things well than hudgins

PhoenixPhan06
September 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM
elon throws the ball 50 times per game...and has no running attack....The Citadel throws the ball 20-30 times per game.... Cadet Roberts also returns punts two for touchdowns this season....in the FBS games Cadet Roberts shows he is a better receiver as the 9 catches for 153yds and a ttouchdown against Klempsin Cow College prove....the head to head matchup betwixt the schools the last two seasons speaks volumes about the differences between these two fine receivers.....Cadet Roberts is faster, has better hands, and does more things well than hudgins

I agree that we throw the ball alot, as we should since its our offensive strength. And your point that Roberts also returns kicks speaks volumes of his versatility and athletic ability. However, unlike Roberts, Terrell Hudgins is not an all-purpose back, so its a moot point to compare all-purpose stats between the two. The games between The Citadel and Elon the past two years cannot overshadow the rest of these players stellar careers. Once Roberts has a few SoCon or national receiving records under his belt, then we can revisit this conversation.

phoenixphanatic21
September 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM

I'm sorry, no running attack? xoopsx Have you not seen what we did that past 2 weeks with our running game? I have seen Elon this year put extra emphasis on actually running the ball and it's working out quite well so far (as shown by the 210 rushing yards we had last week). No longer can people say we are just a one dimensional team now and this just makes us that much more scary to face. And honestly, how can you say Roberts has better hands than Hudgins or that the fact that we've lost to you the past 2 times we've played means that Roberts is better than him? If I remember correctly, Hudgins had some great games against you guys. xsmiley_wix

I will agree that they are easily the 2 best receivers in the SoCon, but I don't know how you can say Roberts is that much better than Hudgins. I give Hudgins a slight edge over Roberts. Oh yea, and Mel Kiper Jr. also ranked Hudgins as the #10 underclassmen WR this year (which includes both the FCS and the FBS) xbowx xbowx xbowx Forgot to mention that earlier.

GSUhooligan
October 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
I don't get the matchup argument either. I mean that's like saying GSU's option receivers were better than Terrel Owens because we stomped UTC when we played against him.

gofurman
October 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM

Very good and possible NFL - yes

Better than Terrell Owens? C'mon man.

Better than Randy Moss? NO

ElonFirefighter
October 2nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
he will go 4th at best. Its hard to get recognition in FCS unless you go deep into the playoffs or beat aFBS team. While he will be scouted these people have the usual schools they go to first

smallcollegefbfan
October 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM

I have to agree. Hudgins is very good and along with Roberts, Moss, and TO will be among the best to come through the SoCon he won't be better than Moss or TO. Those two are special players with something that Hudgins lacks, great top end speed.

smallcollegefbfan
October 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
he will go 4th at best. Its hard to get recognition in FCS unless you go deep into the playoffs or beat aFBS team. While he will be scouted these people have the usual schools they go to first

Not sure the reason he doesn't go high is due to teams not coming through there first. The order in which they go does not matter. If they think your player is top 100 talent they will rate them as that regardless of when they come through. He won't go higher than the 5th round as my prediction because of the fact he will likely run in the 4.7s. If he can get that 40 time faster than it was this past spring he should go higher but if not then he will be tabbed as too slow and passed on until late because of that. Hopefully he can run a 4.5 or so and get into that draft range. He somewhat reminds me of Dave Ball of UNH as a player with good size and just 4.6 or 4.7 speed with great production. I could see him go undrafted and then produce in the NFL like a 5th-6th round pick would.

PhoenixPhan06
October 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM

I don't have the college stats on TO close by but I firmly believe that by the end of his career, Terrell "T-Mobile" Hudgins will be the best WR the SoCon has ever seen. By no means am I saying that he will be a better pro WR than TO, but comparing apples to apples, baring injury, he will have a better college career.

I don't beleive Randy Moss was ever a SoCon receiver while at Marshall but if so, it would still be a hard comparison because he also returned kicks.

Just looking at the facts, TH already has two major SoCon career receiving records, TD's and Receptions. Once he gets the record for career yards, there will be no argument left. xbowx

PhoenixPhan06
October 6th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Looking forward to the Andre Roberts and Terrell Hudgins showdown this weekend in Charleston. Hopefully Bo Williamson will be back in action to take some of the attention away from TH as he has been smothered the past three weeks.

seantaylor
October 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Demarcus Watts is the guy to watch out for. He will be the best receiver in the league by next year.

smallcollegefbfan
October 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I don't have the college stats on TO close by but I firmly believe that by the end of his career, Terrell "T-Mobile" Hudgins will be the best WR the SoCon has ever seen. By no means am I saying that he will be a better pro WR than TO, but comparing apples to apples, baring injury, he will have a better college career.

I don't beleive Randy Moss was ever a SoCon receiver while at Marshall but if so, it would still be a hard comparison because he also returned kicks.

Just looking at the facts, TH already has two major SoCon career receiving records, TD's and Receptions. Once he gets the record for career yards, there will be no argument left. xbowx

One thing you also have to remember with TO is that he does not have the talent at quarterback and other positions around him that Hudgins has.

The talent I mentioned is evident as he was only selected All-SoCon in 1995 and had 19 career TD catches. He was selected to play in the Senior Bowl and was a 3rd round pick by the 49ers and selected to play in the Senior Bowl. I doubt Hudgins goes that high because of his speed and because he would likely be considered a late rounder I don't know if he would get a good look from the Senior Bowl. Has Hudgins had a better career than TO in college? No doubt! Is Hudgins going to get the respect on draft day and by all-star games that TO got? Probably not.

PhoenixPhan06
October 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
One thing you also have to remember with TO is that he does not have the talent at quarterback and other positions around him that Hudgins has.

The talent I mentioned is evident as he was only selected All-SoCon in 1995 and had 19 career TD catches. He was selected to play in the Senior Bowl and was a 3rd round pick by the 49ers and selected to play in the Senior Bowl. I doubt Hudgins goes that high because of his speed and because he would likely be considered a late rounder I don't know if he would get a good look from the Senior Bowl. Has Hudgins had a better career than TO in college? No doubt! Is Hudgins going to get the respect on draft day and by all-star games that TO got? Probably not.

That book hasn't been finished yet. TH was a semi finalist for the Peyton Award last year and is currently on the list for 2008. After this weekend's game against UTC, TH broke the Elon and SoCon record for career TD's and has every major SoCon WR record except for career yards which he will get in the next game or two.

Two years ago, our star LB, Chad Nkang was invited to play in the Hula Bowl and picked up the Defensive MVP honors for that game. Sure its not the Senior Bowl, but it is one of the major bowl games for Seniors just before the combine. TH is on pace to become a 3-time All-American, something that Nkang was able to do and TH still has another year of eligibility left.

I think TH's draft potential really depends on the success of his team. Currently ranked #3 in the FCS polls, Elon is expected to make the playoffs which would certainly increase his exposure.

The key for TH and his NFL potential lies in the fact that he is still a Junior and has plenty of time to leave his mark in the SoCon and the rest of the FCS.

ASUTed
October 20th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Keep telling yourself that, Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie went in the 1st round and I don't remember Tennessee Tech winning very much.

The reason he wont be picked high is because he is slow and slow receivers from fcs do not get drafted high.

PhoenixPhan06
October 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Keep telling yourself that, Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie went in the 1st round and I don't remember Tennessee Tech winning very much.

The reason he wont be picked high is because he is slow and slow receivers from fcs do not get drafted high.

Right now I don't see him as a high round pick, but with a year left he has plenty of time to work on his speed. His strengths in the NFL will be his size and his ability to catch the ball. He doesn't have to be the fastest guy on the field to be effective and I think NFL teams would use him in goal line situations and primarily as a posession receiver.