PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Munoz's son quits football

bonarae
April 26th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Did he follow Brian Larsen's way of going to further his education instead? (Larsen was a defensive tackle at Dartmouth in the 1990's)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZ2NvMjltBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-nfl-munoz&prov=ap&type=lgns

Tennessee offensive tackle Michael Munoz decided to quit football after he was not chosen in the NFL draft over the weekend, his father, NFL Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz said Monday.

The All-American started 46 games in his career despite injuries, including a torn rotator cuff that ended his senior year before the Southeastern Conference championship game in December.

Anthony Munoz said his son has not yet decided what he plans to do now.

``When you're not drafted, I think that's a pretty clear indication as Michael has said,'' Anthony Munoz told The Associated Press. ``He'll tell you one door was closed and there's four or five other doors being opened at the same time. It's kind of a divine intervention here.''...

ISUMatt
April 26th, 2005, 07:51 AM
No one likes a quitter, I was hoping the Bears would sign him as a FA for a tryout

eaglefan452
April 26th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Amazing how a guy can be an all-american and have an injury and not get drafted. I know that many teams didn't want to take that chance, but I can't beleive that one team in one of the rounds didn't want to take the risk.

LetsGoNova
April 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM
From the articles, it sounded like he's a bright kid who played football as a means to an end, not because it was his life. He has other options in life, and he'd rather pursue those rather than fighting to be a third-stringer somewhere. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Fordham
April 26th, 2005, 03:52 PM
true, but why did he make himself eligible for the draft then?

it sounds like he just doesn't want to compete to me.

yomama
April 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Why don't you explain that process of making oneself eligible for the draft.

eaglefan452
April 26th, 2005, 09:52 PM

it sounds like he just doesn't want to compete to me.

He graduated, it's not like he left early to play in the NFL and didn't get drafted. Most senior players do have dreams of one day playing in the NFL, but luckily they have their education to fall back on.

Fordham
April 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Why don't you explain that process of making oneself eligible for the draft.

He graduated, it's not like he left early to play in the NFL and didn't get drafted. Most senior players do have dreams of one day playing in the NFL, but luckily they have their education to fall back on.

yo, my post would have been worded more appropriately if I wrote that he should be getting praise for having full perspective on life and doing something other than football had he made the NFL aware of the the fact he had no intention to play so they shouldn't waste any time or resources considering him. Instead it just comes off to me as though he was interested in playing in the NFL only if he got drafted, not if he needed to fight it out for a spot via free agency.

Now is he a bad guy and is this a big deal? No. Would I have done anything different? Probably, since getting any invite would have been cherished by me ... but, honestly, if given the same circumstances I can't say that I wouldn't take the easy pay day. I just think that I'd then be open to the criticism that I'd only be taking a paycheck and not that I'm interested in grinding it out.

LetsGoNova
April 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM
SI.com has an interesting article on this topic and Munoz in particular today. Give it a read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tim_layden/04/27/five.and.out/index.html