PDA

View Full Version : The Search for SHSU's New Opponent

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2008, 07:51 AM
SAM WANTS YOU!

The Sam Houston State Bearkats are looking for a Division I FCS school that is available on Oct. 4 and is willing to come to Huntsville. With our jam, we're probably a little willing to go on the road.

Heck, if you want to make it a home-and-home with future considerations (probably 2011 or 2012 -- as our schedule is coming together nicely the next two years for SHSU), please let us know!

Schools available: Alabama State, Mississippi Valley State, New Hampshire, Wofford, Stony Brook and Fordham.

So, which of you is willing to make it happen?

RabidRabbit
September 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Sounds like another SWAC/SLC match-up in the makings xwhistlex xwhistlex

Altho, any of those listed would be a nice game. xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
September 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM
UNH could use the beefing up of their schedule, IMO, but ultimately, having already had a week one bye, I don't think UNH has any interest in playing every game the rest of the way, so I'd suspect they're out.

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
UNH could use the beefing up of their schedule, IMO, but ultimately, having already had a week one bye, I don't think UNH has any interest in playing every game the rest of the way, so I'd suspect they're out.

That's what I'd suspect. Same goes for Wofford. Being in top conferences, they got a rough stretch of games ahead. SHSU does as well -- we follow up Oct 4 with UCA and McNeese the next two weeks, which represent the two most important games on the schedule.

UNHWildCats
September 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Agree and if UNH was to consider it, they would only consider hosting them... they surely wouldnt give up a bye to travel all the way to Texas.

da_Bison
September 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
UND is available

dgreco
September 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Bryant is available, but I doubt they would take it. It would be cool though.

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2008, 10:14 AM
UND is available

Bryant is available, but I doubt they would take it. It would be cool though.

Not for the purposes we seek -- we want a game that counts toward the Div I win requirement for the playoffs...

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
AD last night said on our halftime show that they are working on it. He put Jason Barfield, our Asst SID/Media Services guy on the job in finding who is available and Monday is when we'll really go to work...

BW (on Oct 4 opening)...SHSU started last Thursday and work some on Friday, JBarfield seeking for potential foes. Talked to Tom Burnett. Several schools in SLC in situation (SFA, Nicholls). Probably have 5 or 6 team list. Come down to whether or not we can get them in Huntsville. May look into traveling, may have to get in plane to do it. Like to play that game if we can. Help us as we look as season develops.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM

Based on comments I read earlier, then UNH is definitely out. I read comments stating they wanted that bye week during the season. The prior two seasons our bye has been week one and the eleven consecutive games took its toll. So there was no way they wanted twelve consecutive games. Pretty sure I read a quote from the AD stating that.

And I'm quite happy having two weeks to prepare for our nemesis William & Mary! :p

Time will tell how much beefing up the schedule needs. It's quite possible that both Villanova and W&M turn out to be very highly ranked nationally before the season ends.

Besides after the brutal schedules in 2004 (only four home games, OOC game at Delaware) and in 2007, I have no problem with this year's schedule. And don't forget that the Army game was supposed to have been played in 2005. And right now Albany sure isn't hurting the SOS!!

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Schools available...

Alabama State
Fordham
Jacksonville
Mississippi Valley State
New Hampshire
Wofford

Transitionals available (do not recommend)
Bryant
North Dakota

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 10:50 AM
SAM WANTS YOU!

The Sam Houston State Bearkats are looking for a Division I FCS school that is available on Oct. 4 and is willing to come to Huntsville. With our jam, we're probably a little willing to go on the road.

Heck, if you want to make it a home-and-home with future considerations (probably 2011 or 2012 -- as our schedule is coming together nicely the next two years for SHSU), please let us know!

Schools available: Alabama State, Mississippi Valley State, New Hampshire, Wofford, Stony Brook and Fordham.

Pretty sure that Fordham already has 12 games. Stony Brook only has 11 and they have to travel down south for a few games. And they have another bye week later in the season. That looks like a possibility. Wofford also has 11 games but has already had their other bye week.

JMHO, SHSU will have to pick up expenses and probably pay a guarantee to get a new opponent at this point of the season.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Pretty sure that Fordham already has 12 games.

They had 11. Looks like 12 because Rhode Island's original date is still on their schedule plus the date they ended up playing...

JMHO, SHSU will have to pick up expenses and probably pay a guarantee to get a new opponent at this point of the season.

We know it. We're really only available Oct 4 though unless we're able to get an SLC opponent to move around, but that looks less and less likely at this point based on other school's schedules.

We have no bargaining chip in this one.

MSUBear42
September 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM
SAM WANTS YOU!

I wish we could, we miss having you guys on our schedule, those were some good games.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
I wish we could, we miss having you guys on our schedule, those were some good games.

Missouri State would be great -- you guys really do owe us one after what amounted to a 2 for 0 deal we gave you guys! xnodx

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I figure we'll know something today...or tomorrow.

I'm glad the athletic department has done a GREAT job in trying to do all they could to get an opponent. This was a huge priority and if the results are as we all hope and think they'll be -- a huge pat on the back to the athletic department... :)

3rd Coast Tiger
September 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Prairie View's Head Coach comments...

"We definatley wanted to play the game. We definately tried to get the game on and I even threw out a scenario in terms of hey why don't y'all come up to Prairie View? We didn't get much damage up here just winds and rains but you know it just didn't happen."

http://www.swac.org/swacftp/fbreplays/091508/pvamureplay.html

GeauxLions94
September 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Why don't you give a call to North Dakota. They're available.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM
BW interview paraphrased from half, apparently we offered double the guarantee we typically do in an effort to get Alabama State...

(Replacement game) Seven teams that needed extra game or were missing a game. We got 4 no answers. Three interested and told us no different times. UNH, Wofford and as late as yesterday, Alabama State. We thought we may be able to get them and we were willing to go, but of course, wanted a home game. We were out there and pay double as far as game guarantee. Thought we needed to travel. Got a call from Cal Poly and didn't have the date. Sometimes when you get in situation, it was difficult with two weeks.

(Cal Poly/Replacement game continued) Our coaches cringed at that, but you want to play and we'd be willing to do that and have them come to our place. We tried, appreciate JBarfield, GHinze and talked to President and he was supportive of making it happen. Unfortunately, it didn't.