PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Tailgate Help

danefan
September 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Hey CAA guys
Sorry for the separate thread, but I PM'ed Uncle Buc to no avail. I'm sure he's a busy guy and doesn't keep AGS open 24/7 like some of us.:D

Anyway, I'm trying to get a tailgate going for the Albany/Hofstra game on Saturday but I have no clue what the deal is at Hofstra.

Is there a particular area to tailgate? Parking lot, etc.?

Do people normally tailgate at Hofstra? I know its a bunch of weird Long Islanders.......jkxsmiley_wix

andy7171
September 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
UB will get back to you. He posts every so often. He goes to most of the games.

You might put a call out to him on the Hofstra forum at caazone.com too.

DrG
September 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
There are some parking lots behind the visitor's side where you can tailgate, but it wasn't a very big scene from what I saw on my first trip last fall.

Ruler
September 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Danefan and all others, keep me posted as I am going to Hofstra with some over the hill ex Bob Ford deciples. I am going to do a cooler filled with beverages and some sandwiches nothing crazy. Keep me posted. For some reason I cant get on our site from work.

danefan
September 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Is this the normal place?

http://media3.dropshots.com/photos/501913/20080910/101052.jpg

UDBlueLotFan
September 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
There are some parking lots behind the visitor's side where you can tailgate, but it wasn't a very big scene from what I saw on my first trip last fall.

Nothing but UD fans the last time I was there!

danefan
September 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Danefan and all others, keep me posted as I am going to Hofstra with some over the hill ex Bob Ford deciples. I am going to do a cooler filled with beverages and some sandwiches nothing crazy. Keep me posted. For some reason I cant get on our site from work.

Ruler, PM me an email address and I'll send you the details.

bluehenbillk
September 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Danefan, I've tailgated there a couple times. The HU and visitors tailgates are intermingled in the endzone parking lots.

Its generally OK but a fairly small and late arriving scene.

Bull Fan
September 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Us Hofstra fans take digs at the poor attendance and lesser atmosphere, but it's like a punch in the gut to hear it from objective folks xsmhx

Anyhow, Uncle Buck and I will be resurrecting the tailgating this year after a few-year hiatus. With kids and other issues chewing up our time, it fell off after a nice run. Bringing it back!

The tailgating has picked up a degree, with more students and alums stepping up last year. The main lot, facing Margiotta Hall, is the prime 'gating ground for home fans, and as mentioned, there's a lot behing the east stands (visitor's side) that gets some play as well.. but that's mainly visitors and never really any HU fans.

Dane, I caught your thread over on the CAAzone site, I'd expect Uncle _uck to get back to you shortly.

Uncle Buck
September 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry Danefan, with the new school year it's been a little crazy. As for the tailgating, there is never a HUGE scene, but as someone mentioned, it's a late crowd but never overwhelming. The lots off Uniondale Avenue will take you to the back of the visitor's stands where you marked, usually a lot of room and more visitors than anything. Just pass those lots on the same street, you come to a right hand turn that will lead you into the main lot behind the fieldhouse. That's where we usually set up right along the practice field and it's more intermingled.

I'll probably be there by five and we'll have small group of "weird" long islanders. If you want to look for us, we should have a tent with a Steel Fitness banner. I know, i know, out of shape guys eating and drinking beer, not a selling point for Steel Fitness. It belongs to the guy with the tent. i'll shoot you a PM.

danefan
Us Hofstra fans take digs at the poor attendance and lesser atmosphere, but it's like a punch in the gut to hear it from objective folks xsmhx

Anyhow, Uncle Buck and I will be resurrecting the tailgating this year after a few-year hiatus. With kids and other issues chewing up our time, it fell off after a nice run. Bringing it back!

The tailgating has picked up a degree, with more students and alums stepping up last year. The main lot, facing Margiotta Hall, is the prime 'gating ground for home fans, and as mentioned, there's a lot behing the east stands (visitor's side) that gets some play as well.. but that's mainly visitors and never really any HU fans.

Dane, I caught your thread over on the CAAzone site, I'd expect Uncle _uck to get back to you shortly.

So if we were to get there about 5pm where would be the best place to tell Albany people to meet us.

Sounds like with Modells sponsoring their own tailgate it may be a better bet to just get people to meet in the lot behind the visitor's section, as indicated on the above map. I guess we can always move over to the other lot if it sucks.

andy7171
Is this the normal place?

http://media4.dropshots.com/photos/501913/20080910/091648.jpg

I don't know, last time I was there everything was underwater! UB hears me.

henfan
September 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
It's always a good tailgating scene up there and the HU fans are good sports.

Don't miss stopping at the deli next to the McDonald's along Hempstead Turnpike, near the stadium. Great sandwiches!xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
September 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Coliseum Deli, expensive but good. My large counselor friend who i work with swears by it. Only problem is that he is a Marist guy, i just laugh at him all day long.

I saw the updated map, go in the main lot and look for our tent and silly banner. I'll shoot you more info, i got sidetracked with work!

appfan2008
September 10th, 2008, 02:36 PM
what sort of crowd comes out for a game at hofstra?

Bull Fan
September 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Anywhere between 4-6K. You may see 7K at a big game or homecoming... if the team is doing well that year. Unfortunately, many of the fringe fans don't understand what a big game is, and miss out on some good football.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Last year we went to the lot you've marked "backup". Think we got there before they were even expecting people -- must be that late arriving crowd comment. Anyway, this lot was loaded with UNH folks, and of course Uncle Buck and Bull Fan. Great access to the visitor's side as well as the team bus after the game if that is important to you.

IIRC, not many trash barrels so bring plenty of trash bags. Easy access off Uniondale Ave, plenty of room to set up the grill, seemed to be the lot that most of our fans parked in, etc. "Backup" was an excellent tailgating spot!

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Last year we went to the lot you've marked "backup". Think we got there before they were even expecting people -- must be that late arriving crowd comment. Anyway, this lot was loaded with UNH folks, and of course Uncle Buck and Bull Fan. Great access to the visitor's side as well as the team bus after the game if that is important to you.

IIRC, not many trash barrels so bring plenty of trash bags. Easy access off Uniondale Ave, plenty of room to set up the grill, seemed to be the lot that most of our fans parked in, etc. "Backup" was an excellent tailgating spot!

What he said. And the closest "little boy's room" is in the round looking building in the picture.:D

Easy to get to the cooler at half time and back in time for kick off

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Danefan,

I almost forgot to tell you that the Microbrew of choice for Hofstra Tailgating is Blue Point from Patchogue, Long Island. Their Toasted Lager will make Uncle Buck a happy guy!!

Blue Point Brewing (http://www.bluepointbrewing.com/)

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

OxSoxUNH05
September 13th, 2008, 05:30 AM
What they said!
Backup was a great place to tailgate, had plenty of room for a wide set up for us. I don't remember any trash barrels, but like yorkcounty said the bathroom is in the round building. I had a great time, and look forward to heading back!

Uncle Buck
September 13th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Danefan,

I almost forgot to tell you that the Microbrew of choice for Hofstra Tailgating is Blue Point from Patchogue, Long Island. Their Toasted Lager will make Uncle Buck a happy guy!!

Blue Point Brewing (http://www.bluepointbrewing.com/)

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

Yeah what he said! xthumbsupx