PDA

View Full Version : YSU's starting QB leave's team?!

ysubigred
September 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Haven't seen anything "official" but our starting QB has left the team for unspecified reasons xconfusedx I could guess why but that would be unfair to all concerned.

Penguins Lose Savage & Matelan for Season

The YSU football team will be without the sevices of former All-American Mychal Savage and Defensive End Luke Matelan for the remainder of the 2008 season. Savage suffered a torn rotator cuff in the season opener at Ohio State, while Matelan went down with a broken foot against the South Dakota State. Savage will likely apply for a medical reshirt, making him eligible to play in the 2009 season. Matelan was previously granted a redshirt earlier in his career, which means he will not be eligible for another. The 0-2 Penguins host Central State Saturday at Stambaugh Stadium. Kickoff is set for 4pm.

Look's like the season will become longer in terms of painfulness xnonono2x

DetroitFlyer
September 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Haven't seen anything "official" but our starting QB has left the team for unspecified reasons xconfusedx I could guess why but that would be unfair to all concerned.

Penguins Lose Savage & Matelan for Season

The YSU football team will be without the sevices of former All-American Mychal Savage and Defensive End Luke Matelan for the remainder of the 2008 season. Savage suffered a torn rotator cuff in the season opener at Ohio State, while Matelan went down with a broken foot against the South Dakota State. Savage will likely apply for a medical reshirt, making him eligible to play in the 2009 season. Matelan was previously granted a redshirt earlier in his career, which means he will not be eligible for another. The 0-2 Penguins host Central State Saturday at Stambaugh Stadium. Kickoff is set for 4pm.

Look's like the season will become longer in terms of painfulness xnonono2x

Dayton easily defeated Central State this season. Is YSU up for the challenge?

ysubigred
September 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Dayton easily defeated Central State this season. Is YSU up for the challenge?

Who know right now there's something going on at YSU but I live in Kentucky and have no insider information.

xpeacex

patssle
September 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
If they win, they might get the #1 spot in the polls!

UNI Pike
September 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds like YSU has some bad karma. Sorry to hear about the chaos - hopefully it gets straightened out soon. You have enough to worry about with the schedule.

DetroitFlyer
September 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Who know right now there's something going on at YSU but I live in Kentucky and have no insider information.

xpeacex

I used to live in Elizabethtown, KY. One of the best places I have lived in to date! (Not far from Ft. Knox at all). Hopefully, YSU gets back on track. CSU should not give them too much trouble. They are better than last season, but they have a ways to go in rebuilding their program. The money game at YSU is a big help for them, as was the Dayton Classic at Welcome Stadium. Still, since UD and YSU do not play each other, I suppose this will be about as close as we can get to comparing our teams in 2008. (Unless we both make the playoffs)....

ysubigred
September 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I used to live in Elizabethtown, KY. One of the best places I have lived in to date! (Not far from Ft. Knox at all). Hopefully, YSU gets back on track. CSU should not give them too much trouble. They are better than last season, but they have a ways to go in rebuilding their program. The money game at YSU is a big help for them, as was the Dayton Classic at Welcome Stadium. Still, since UD and YSU do not play each other, I suppose this will be about as close as we can get to comparing our teams in 2008. (Unless we both make the playoffs)....

Cool!! I live in the Flaherty/Vine Grove area xthumbsupx Good luck to Dayton and I hope we both make it to the playoff's.

ysubigred
September 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
If they win, they might get the #1 spot in the polls!

xthumbsupx

SIUallDay
September 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM
tough break Penguins....see u 10/18.....

GoGuins
September 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM
YSU's ship is sinking fast. I will stick with my 3-4 win prediction. Strollo should use some of that O$U money and buy out Heacock's contract, & then fire himself

appfan2008
September 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM
could be a long season for ysu... long way removed from the glory days...

GoGuins
September 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
could be a long season for ysu... long way removed from the glory days...

Heacock has basically took what Tressel built & tore it down. He's a good assistant, just not a HC. One playoff apperance since 2000 and the AD Strollo keeps giving him extensions!xmadx

UNI Pike
September 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Good gig if you can get it - I would even be willing to do the job. I have a sweater vest, does that help?

Chi Panther
September 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
YSU's ship is sinking fast. I will stick with my 3-4 win prediction. Strollo should use some of that O$U money and buy out Heacock's contract, & then fire himself

xlolx xlolx LOLxlolx xlolx

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Cool!! I live in the Flaherty/Vine Grove area xthumbsupx Good luck to Dayton and I hope we both make it to the playoff's.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

GoGuins
September 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Confirmed on the local news. Rowan was not happy he was demoted and his parents did not like the way Heacock was developing their son, so he skipped Mondays meetings and told Heacock today. Good Luck at Slippery Rock quitter!

GoGuins
September 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Good gig if you can get it - I would even be willing to do the job. I have a sweater vest, does that help?

Only if you're gay:D

BDK@YSU
September 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Confirmed on the local news. Rowan was not happy he was demoted and his parents did not like the way Heacock was developing their son, so he skipped Mondays meetings and told Heacock today. Good Luck at Slippery Rock quitter!

Remember kids: it's OK for a guy to transfer from FBS to FCS, but not from DI to DII.

Sly Fox
September 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Quarterback Todd Rowan Calls It Quits

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 11:57 AM
Updated: Sep 9, 2008 06:42 PM

Youngstown - Youngstown State Head Football Coach Jon Heacock announced on Tuesday that junior quarterback Todd Rowan (Braceville, Ohio/LaBrae) has left the football team.

Rowan started the first two games of the season for the Penguins. In two contests this year, he had completed 14-of-23 passes for 84 yards and one interception.

Click Here for Full Story (http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=8978006&nav=menu491_5)

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Maybe he was tired of living in crime capital city. xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Click Here for Full Story (http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=8978006&nav=menu491_5)

That is basically the full story.

ngineer
September 9th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Penguins suffering from global warming?? Sounds like a melt-down going on at the igloo.xconfusedx

ysubigred
September 10th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Penguins suffering from global warming?? Sounds like a melt-down going on at the igloo.xconfusedx

Posted From: JOE SIMON Tribune Chronicle

Rowan leaves YSU
Wednesday, September 10 2008

YOUNGSTOWN - Enough was enough for Youngstown State quarterback Todd Rowan.

Rowan informed the the Penguins he was leaving the program on Tuesday after he was told he'd no longer be the starting quarterback, according to his father, Greg Rowan.

Todd Rowan waited three years for his chance to become the starter for the Penguins, and after a slow start in his first two games - against No. 5 Ohio State and South Dakota State, ranked No. 13 in the Football Championship Subdivision - he was replaced by backup Brandon Summers. Greg Rowan said Todd had a meeting with YSU offensive coordinator Brian Wright over the weekend and he was informed he would not start the home opener against Central State on Saturday.

That's when Todd Rowan, who was the backup to former YSU quarterback Tom Zetts the past three years, chose not to accept a step back.

''He just decided there wasn't any reason for him being demoted,'' Greg Rowan said. ''He didn't feel his play was so bad that he deserved to be benched. He didn't want to go backwards after waiting for so long.'' read more...

leatherneck177
September 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
That is a very difficult situation. I'm surprised at Rowan's quick departure. Obviously there were some broken lines of communication.

andy7171
September 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Posted From: JOE SIMON Tribune Chronicle

Rowan leaves YSU
Wednesday, September 10 2008

YOUNGSTOWN - Enough was enough for Youngstown State quarterback Todd Rowan.

Rowan informed the the Penguins he was leaving the program on Tuesday after he was told he'd no longer be the starting quarterback, according to his father, Greg Rowan.

Todd Rowan waited three years for his chance to become the starter for the Penguins, and after a slow start in his first two games - against No. 5 Ohio State and South Dakota State, ranked No. 13 in the Football Championship Subdivision - he was replaced by backup Brandon Summers. Greg Rowan said Todd had a meeting with YSU offensive coordinator Brian Wright over the weekend and he was informed he would not start the home opener against Central State on Saturday.

That's when Todd Rowan, who was the backup to former YSU quarterback Tom Zetts the past three years, chose not to accept a step back.

''He just decided there wasn't any reason for him being demoted,'' Greg Rowan said. ''He didn't feel his play was so bad that he deserved to be benched. He didn't want to go backwards after waiting for so long.'' read more...
xrolleyesx
What a baby!

catbob
September 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I can't really blame the kid. You wait so long to get a chance, and then you feel you aren't given a fair chance and you lose the starting job. Did you expect him to go 5 years only starting 5 quarters of football?

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Wow, he got a QB bad grade against OSU? I would hazard to say that was not fully Rowan's issue. Say what you will about OSU not being able to finish in the bowl games, but I think any FCS team loses to that team 98 or 99 times out of 100. I don't think Rowan was fully responsible for SDSU hanging 40 on the Birds.

Sounds like a coach trying to save his job, knowing he can't fire the coordinators/assistants at this point.

ysubigred
September 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Wow, he got a QB bad grade against OSU? I would hazard to say that was not fully Rowan's issue. Say what you will about OSU not being able to finish in the bowl games, but I think any FCS team loses to that team 98 or 99 times out of 100. I don't think Rowan was fully responsible for SDSU hanging 40 on the Birds.

Sounds like a coach trying to save his job, knowing he can't fire the coordinators/assistants at this point.

Saddly the coach isn't replacing Rowan with anyone better xnonono2x I believe that's why Rowan's bolting. Heacock didn't let him even play in the second half of the SDSU game and the guy who replace him had two INT's but can run a little xoopsx

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Does Heacock have a new contract with a large golden parachute? Maybe looking to cash out? Obviously I have no information on the issue, but it looks from the outside as an act of desperation.

Love it when UNI clubs those seals- err penguins, but we don't need any help from your coach to do it.

GoGuins
September 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Does Heacock have a new contract with a large golden parachute? Maybe looking to cash out? Obviously I have no information on the issue, but it looks from the outside as an act of desperation.

Love it when UNI clubs those seals- err penguins, but we don't need any help from your coach to do it.

Are you Cap'n Cat's younger brother?:D

X-Factor
September 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
so.....what does YSU have left for QB's and depth? Any of them good?

skinny_uncle
September 10th, 2008, 09:12 PM
It could be a long year for the Penguins.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM
YSU football is in the hands of a failure. Heacock has run off his best QB for the season and will replace him with a QB who doesn't throw well. However, in his search for the Holy Grail ( Appy St.) and playoffs he'll try to run the option. Frankly, other than being fast, the new QB isn't that much of a threat and a liability when we have to throw. I expect a losing season and no playoffs regardless. What was once the most dominate program in the country has been destroyed by an incompetent, run into the ground and dying. A buddy AD gave him an extension, so line up guys. I see YSU as available for the pickings for years to come.

Paladin1aa
September 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hey, GoGuins

You going to any games this year and watch this ***** ??

jmc_jackrabbit
September 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM
so.....what does YSU have left for QB's and depth? Any of them good?

I thought Brandon Summers, their third string QB against us, was their best option. Coach Stig said the same on his show this week. Summers is more athletic than Rowan, but can throw the ball some, too (unlike #1, a WR who is second string QB.)

Summers looks to have potential from what I saw.

ysubigred
September 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I thought Brandon Summers, their third string QB against us, was their best option. Coach Stig said the same on his show this week. Summers is more athletic than Rowan, but can throw the ball some, too (unlike #1, a WR who is second string QB.)

Summers looks to have potential from what I saw.

Actually, we have an all state Indianan player fresh out of HS that is a red shirt freshman who's probably the best of all but inexperienced and not the runner Summers is. xtwocentsx

UNI Pike
September 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Are you Cap'n Cat's younger brother?:D

No - the universe could not handle two of those...

BearsCountry
September 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Oct. 11 will be intresting - Pens at Bears.

ysubigred
September 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Oct. 11 will be intresting - Pens at Bears.

Blind Center vs Jerry's Kid's xsmiley_wix

Cap'n Cat
September 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
It pains The Cap'n to no end to hear about all this Penguin discord.

http://www.crystalinks.com/m23snicker.gif