PDA

View Full Version : He has to be brain dead...

polsongrizz
April 12th, 2005, 01:52 AM
April 11, 2005

Mike Tyson is returning to the ring.

The former heavyweight champion will fight for the first time in nearly a year, facing journeyman Kevin McBride on June 11 at Washington's MCI Center, a boxing source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday.

Tyson and promoter Marty Wynn planned to announce the bout at a news conference Tuesday, the source said.

Tyson's manager, Shelly Finkel, did not immediately return a phone message left at his office Monday evening.

The 38-year-old Tyson is 50-5 with two no contests and 44 knockouts. He lost two of his last three fights.

In his most recent outing, in Louisville on July 30, he was stopped in the fourth round by Danny Williams after tearing cartilage in his left knee.

That was Tyson's first fight in 17 months -- and his first loss in a non-title bout. He's entered the ring just once a year since 2001, earning a technical knockout victory over Brian Nielsen in October of that year, getting knocked out by Lennox Lewis in June 2002, and knocking out Clifford Etienne in February 2003.

Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion ever when he knocked out Trevor Berbick at the age of 20 in 1986.

McBride, 31, defeated Kevin Montiy by technical knockout on March 18 in his last fight. Born in Ireland and now based in Massachusetts, the 6-foot-6 McBride is 32-4-1 with 27 knockouts.

blackfordpu
April 12th, 2005, 03:09 AM
I hope he gets his ass kicked. That psycho needs to be put down for good. He had his moment and blew it!

Step down with the little pride you have left already.

Gil Dobie
April 12th, 2005, 07:08 AM
I am still waiting for the Buster Douglas rematch :)

ISUMatt
April 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM
I am still waiting for the Buster Douglas rematch :)

How about a Buster Douglass/Mike Tyson Chess match!!! That may be more entertaining than a boxing match at this point!!!

Gil Dobie
April 12th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Tyson was on the right track until Don King.

mlbowl
April 12th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Seriously- if Mike trains correctly and REALLY prepares for this fight, he should beat this guy. I've seen the guy fight, and calling him a tomato can may be too generous. Mike is no longer the Mike of 86-89, but he can still beat most of the crappy heavyweights out there. He will never return to his glory (only ONE fighter over 35 ever has), but he may be able to earn enough money to pay his creditors back. I just hope he gets himself together so he can live the rest of his life in relative peace. However, I will be at this fight "On the Front Row!!!"

Agreed.......I hope if he does get out of debt........he stays out. He's not been the most fiscally responsible person in the past!

polsongrizz
April 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Seriously- Mike is no longer the Mike of 86-89, but he can still beat most of the crappy heavyweights out there.

I don't know SS, he has had alot of fights in the past few yrs, some of which he trained for and still had his ass kicked. If he was as good as you say it shouldn't have taken that much to beat the guys he fought.

eaglesrthe1
April 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I doubt that Tyson will ever be out of debt. He doesn't command that type of money anymore, and there is a lot of overhead in boxing at that level.

Every year that he goes, his draw will be even less. He can't change his style, say like Forman did (going from a power puncher to a boxer with power), he doesn't have the height and reach. I doubt that he will ever reach the championship level again. He's more of a curiosity now. Most people just watch to see if he will flip out and do something crazy in the ring.

polsongrizz
April 12th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I wold never waste another dollar on this guy. Free, maybe not even then.

putter
April 12th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Tyson has some major issues. How many people would tattoo half their face? He is fighting because he has to, not because he wants to. He may win the fight but he is losing his war.

mlbowl
April 14th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Actually, he HASN'T trained correctly for any of those. He was too busy getting his face tattooed, going to trial, getting sued for paternity, getting divorced, and all of that stuff. Here is training properly- staying out of the nightclubs, not drinking and using other drugs, leaving the women of the evening alone, and focusing your energies on the task at hand. If he does that, he will beat McBride, and can beat some of the more serious contenders. Actually, he could beat the entire top ten of the WBC, WBA, and IBF. He could also beat John Ruiz (WBA Champ), and Chris Byrd (IBF champ). The ONLY person who is ranked in or champion of one of the big three that he would have trouble with is Vitaly Klitschko (WBC Champ).

As I stated earlier, I completely agree. Tyson definitely still has the power.......IMO, it's a matter of keeping the distractions to a minimum and not turning everything into a circus.

eagleskins
April 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Tyson would get destroyed by Klitshko. He might actually die in the ring.