PDA

View Full Version : 008 Northern Colorado football preview

ncbears
August 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM
My Bears return most of the starters from a very young team last year. Look for them to get out of the cellar. xnodx xnodx

http://uncbears.com/sports/m-footbl/2008-09/news/080708campstart

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM
You guys are coming to my part of the world for the opener against Purdue. Good luck!

UNCBears2010
August 7th, 2008, 11:41 PM
My thoughts on the Bears in '08:

First, we've got a QB, Brian Waggener can play. He reminds me of a (very) poor man's JaMarcus Russell/Daunte Culpepper. I watched him quite a bit in spring practice and arm strength is not a question. He is definitely an upgrade from Breazeale, who was slightly less mobile in the pocket than a statue, and Vlahogeorge who could barely catch a snap in the shotgun. (How Downing expects him to be a TE I have no idea.)

The RBs, Woods and Wilson, will be passable, but the passing game needs to be the focal point of our offense.

If used correctly, our undersized receiving corps can be deadly. Downing and Darnell need to use their speed with both deep routes and little quick slants. No more of the 5 yard out route crap we saw last year.

Tight end is solid with first team All-Big Sky Ryan Chesla. That's really all that needs to be said about that.

Our offense comes down to the line, which has seen a shake-up. If Thornbrue and the boys can keep Waggener on his feet, the offense has the potential to be great.

The line is also the biggest question on defense. The loss of Joe Silipo hurts. (Where did he end up, anyway?) John Eddy now has to step up as the leader of a relatively inexperienced group.

The linebacking corps is undoubtedly the strength of defense, with captains Joe Kenney and second team All-Big Sky performer Christian Sarmento. We also saw some big plays from some of out other linebackers last year.

The secondary showed perhaps the biggest strides toward the end of last season. Every CB that saw time last year is back and the Bears return safeties Max Hewitt and Stephen Michon. This secondary made some big INTs last ear but also had a tendency to get burned.

Zak Bigelow returns as the kicker and redshirt freshman Cameron Kaman will step in as punter. Return man Eric Brown is close to a school record for return yards.

I feel safe saying this is the year we climb out of the Big Sky cellar. How far out, I can't say.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
August 7th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I am gonna try and travel over when the Griz play you guys. It shouldn't be that bad of a drive for me, just have to see what else is going on that weekend. If it's clear, I'm there :)

ncbears
August 8th, 2008, 01:12 AM
You guys are coming to my part of the world for the opener against Purdue. Good luck!

Thanks! We're going to need it. Are you going to the game?

ThreadStopper
August 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Best of luck you Bears! I hope the season is a stepping stone to better and better things!

slycat
August 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I will be in Greeley for the Texas State game.

GOKATS
August 8th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sorry, but I still have you finishing 9th. It'll depend on how Sac. St. and ISU do. JMO

NoCoDanny
August 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM
It would have been nice to have a cupcake on the schdule but no such luck. Unless they really take a leap forward it will be another rough year and Downing needs to show something, anything, to keep his job. Maybe that's not fair but 2.9 wins in 2 years isn't cutting it.

furman94
August 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Go NoCo! Beat the Montanas!

ncbears
August 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Sorry, but I still have you finishing 9th. It'll depend on how Sac. St. and ISU do. JMO

It aint happening. I see middle of the conference with 5 wins.

Mustang Man
August 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Go Bears! Finish above Sac. St.!

GOKATS
August 9th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Go Bears! Finish above Sac. St.!

That wouldn't bother me a bit, but I think Sac.St. will be improved this year.

griz&beer
August 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Go NoCo! Beat the Montanas!

Yea go UNC, Furman can't win up there so you go get them. xlolx

No I hope you guys have a good season, I think you will take TX state. xbowx

Scooter
August 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
That wouldn't bother me a bit, but I think Sac.St. will be improved this year.

I didn't know Sac State had a team... do they have uniforrms and everything? JK

Good luck to fellow NCC brother.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Is this the team in our conference that beat the bobcats last year?

I thought they were a DII school but it turns out they are in the BSC........who knew?

slostang
August 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Best of luck to the Bears.

I think that Sac State will surprise some people this year. They have had players in the past, but not very good coaching. I think that Marshall Sperbeck will turn that program around.

Scooter
August 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Best of luck to the Bears.

I think that Sac State will surprise some people this year. They have had players in the past, but not very good coaching. I think that Marshall Sperbeck will turn that program around.

Slostang, if you say so. You have been pretty reliable in the past. They may surprise....no, just can't do it...they are a celler dweller and will remain there.

OB55
August 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I am hoping for two wins. And I am prepared for less than that. They had a terrible spring season, with as many as a third posing as injured players.

To me that indicates a lack of discipline, conditioning, or both. xnonono2x

IndianaAppMan
August 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks! We're going to need it. Are you going to the game?Nah, I can't. Only going to one game this year (Penn State). I'll be working & in grad school. Too poor & too busy. Best of luck to you guys.