PDA

View Full Version : Martin getting props at Tennessee; Felton getting MORE press in Detroit.

furman94
July 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/COLUMNIST0201/807310351/1002/SPORTS

Passer can also score with leg

Ingle Martin spent last season on the Titans' practice squad. During Saturday walkthroughs, those players would engage in a mock Shoe Carnival contest like the one in which fans attempt field goals during halftime at LP Field.

Martin was money.

"He was one of the best kickers we have ever had in that," special teams coach Alan Lowry said.

Make no mistake. Rob Bironas' job is safe. Martin's goal is to one day inherit the No. 2 quarterback slot. That way, the ex-Montgomery Bell Academy star would be active on game day and available to punt or kick a field goal.

When Bironas went out with a groin injury earlier in this training camp, Martin stepped up to kick field goals in special teams sessions. He opened some eyes by going 10-of-14, including a 52-yarder during his initial appearance.

Although Martin punted at Florida and later became an All-Southern Conference star at Furman as a quarterback and punter, he hasn't kicked field goals since high school.

Steps right in
He was certainly no slouch. As a senior at MBA, Martin made three field goals longer than 50 yards, including a school-record 56-yarder.

"He's a real good athlete," Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's got a real strong leg. He just needs to put it between the poles. He has to become a No. 2 quarterback and the rest is a bonus. It's one of the reasons we brought him in. He's really improved as a quarterback. He is getting some (repetitions). He's learning from the other two. He's got a good chance to play in the preseason games."

The Titans had Martin kicking again Wednesday and he nailed a 51-yard field goal.

"My goal was to not hit anyone in the butt," Martin joked. "This is the first time anyone told me I had to get it off under 1.3 seconds."

Martin played football, soccer, baseball and basketball at MBA. As a quarterback he led his team to three straight state championships, including 32 consecutive wins.

Finished at Furman
He was ranked as one of the country's top five prep quarterbacks, and signed with Steve Spurrier at Florida. When Ron Zook replaced Spurrier, he recruited Chris Leak and Martin was replaced after starting the first four games as a sophomore.

Martin transferred to Furman (21-6 in his two years) and set Furman career records in passing yards, passing touchdowns and total offense.

A fifth-round pick of the Packers in 2006, Martin was waived after his rookie season. He joined the Titans last year.

Veteran punter Craig Hentrich, who has been the Titans' long field goal kicker at times, is impressed with Martin's leg.

"I don't think he has kicked with a snap and a hold since high school and he went out there and made five or six today and did a great job," Hentrich said. "He was very impressive."

Martin downplays his kicks.

"It's just something I've been blessed to do. I enjoy it. I played a lot of soccer growing up and it just comes natural."

He smiled. "I kick it pretty straight for a quarterback."

Joe Biddle's column appears Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Reach him at 615-259-8255 or [email protected].

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2008/07/felton_bringin_the_wood_at_tra.html

Felton bringin' the wood at training camp

Posted by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com July 31, 2008 08:43AM
Categories: Local Media
When the Detroit Lions drafted Furman fullback Jerome Felton in the fifth round, I had to ask "Jerome who?" After reading about his strength and toughness, and seeing some clips of the big man, I was definitely intrigued.

Well, after knocking linebacker Buster Davis' helmet off in a devastating collision, Felton may be showing a little bit of what's to come. And Rod Marinelli wasn't shy about showing the film – over and over again.

The Detroit News, July 30: "I was quiet," he said. "I didn't say too much. It's my first year. I'm just trying to do my job. You're going to get some people. Some people are going to get you."
"The defense said, 'You better be ready tomorrow.' It's just fun. It's competitiveness. I knew there was going to be some people coming for me."
Felton is proving that Marinelli made the right call in taking him in the draft.

Detroit Free Press, July 30: "I'm going to have to be a physical fullback, and that's what I plan on being," Felton said. "Whatever I've got to do."

and another new one:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/SPORTS0101/807300368/1126

FU is racking up Media Attention in Detroit!

citdog
July 31st, 2008, 03:38 PM
good ol DINGLEBERRY!