PDA

View Full Version : Felton stirring up competition in Detroit...

furman94
July 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/BLOG21/80729061/1048/SPORTS

Marinelli stirs up competition between Felton, Davis

Rod Marinelli rewound the tape and showed the play again.

And again.

And again.

No one would say how many times he did it in the team meeting Monday night, but everyone said the Lions’ coach did it enough to make his point.

You want to run the ball in the regular season? You want to stop the run? Then you’d better learn to be physical in training camp.

Earlier in the day, rookie fullback Jerome Felton had laid a lick on linebacker Buster Davis. He had knocked off Davis’ helmet.

Showing the tape over and over, in front of everybody, was sure to stir up competition.

As Marinelli did it, Felton must have felt a mixture of pride (“Yeah, that’s me!”) and apprehension (“Uh-oh, now I’ve got a target on my back”).

“I was quiet,” Felton said. “I wasn’t going to say too much, because this is my first year. I’m just trying to do my job the best I can.”

The offensive players were on Felton’s side. The defensive players told him he better be ready next time.

Felton knew Davis would be ready. Sure enough, Davis hit hard Tuesday morning.

“I knew it was going to be another battle today, and it was,” Felton said. “He came in there hard today. He brings it every play, but I’m going to bring it every play, too. …

“It’s all about responding and coming back strong.”

Felton and Davis are both in hot competitions for roster spots.

Felton, a fifth-round pick out of Furman, carried the ball a lot in college. He scored 63 rushing touchdowns. But to make the team, he’s going to have to be a blocker.

“I’m going to have to be a physical fullback, and that’s what I plan on being,” Felton said. “Whatever I’ve got to do to help the team and make this team and earn my spot is what I’m going to do.”

Arizona drafted Davis in the third round last year, but the Cardinals cut him coming out of camp. The Lions signed him and kept him on their practice squad most of the season.

Davis didn’t learn much about the Tampa Two defense last year, because he mostly played on the scout team. But Marinelli said he had a good off-season.

“He’s been a beast,” Marinelli said. “He’s been here every day. I asked him to lose weight. He lost weight. He’s thinner. He’s moving well. He’s got real good awareness. Boy, he’s physical now. He’s a physical player.”

Asked if Davis fit the system, Marinelli smiled and said: “Guys that hit and run, they fit.”

Check the tape.

citdog
July 29th, 2008, 03:44 PM
PERHAPS JUST ADDING TO THE other THREAD ABOUT FELTON WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN A WHOLE NEW ONE?

54-51

furman94
July 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Don't be jealous because The Citadel doesn't have any players drafted worth talking about!

The other thread was about Felton's 3 Year Contract, this one is on his practice competition.

OL FU
July 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
PERHAPS JUST ADDING TO THE other THREAD ABOUT FELTON WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN A WHOLE NEW ONE?

54-51

Perhaps you should realize that it is a different storyxnodx

citdog
July 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Don't be jealous because The Citadel doesn't have any players drafted worth talking about!

The other thread was about Felton's 3 Year Contract, this one is on his practice competition.

STUMP.....TRAVIS.....GREG......ANDRE?

Cleets
July 29th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Pretty exciting stuff... FCS Fullback smackin' skulls in training camp..!!!
It would be really cool if he wound up having a long NFL career...

xnodx

PaladinFan
July 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM
At least Davis probably wanted to tackle Felton. More than I saw out of many of the linebackers in the SoCon.

furman94
July 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Pretty exciting stuff... FCS Fullback smackin' skulls in training camp..!!!
It would be really cool if he wound up having a long NFL career...

xnodx

That's what we hope for!