PDA

View Full Version : Jackson in Bucs Camp

Appaholic69
July 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Rookie Returns

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers surely envisioned rookie wideout Dexter Jackson and his blazing speed as a deep threat of the future when selecting him in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft.

It would be a bit unfair to expect the youngster to immediately step in to camp and grasp the team’s complex offense, but Jackson was also brought in with the hopes of providing a boost to the return game.

It is a challenge for Jackson to carve out a special teams role while trying to absorb a thick offensive playbook, but he knows his first chance to make an impact could come in the return game.

“When I first got here, I had the playbook for offense and then [Special Teams] Coach [Rich Bisaccia] gave me the big playbook for special teams,” Jackson said. “It’s kind of doubling up on us, but I know a big contribution on my part will be on special teams out of the gate. I’m trying to really study that and the offense so I know what to do when I get in there.”

A talented and diverse group of wide receivers means Jackson’s reps during passing drills are often somewhat limited. But as the team ran through some kickoff return periods for the first time Sunday morning, Jackson got his fair share of opportunities.

“As a wide receiver, I’m getting spot-played and just learning the ropes, where to line up, plays to run and just concepts on the offensive end,” Jackson said. “I’m just going to be utilized when I can on offense and I’m just really trying to learn all the plays on offense so when I do get in there I’ll know what to do. On special teams, I’m trying to learn that as well so I can deliver. We had some [kickoff returns] earlier today and I just finished up with some extra ones, so I’m getting a lot.”

Even though Jackson’s first crack at making a splash play in the NFL may be on the receiving end of a kickoff rather than a Jeff Garcia pass, the speedy young receiver said he’s excited for any opportunity that comes his way.

“For the most part, it feels good to come out here and be part of the team and make plays,” Jackson said.

813Jag
July 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Rookie Returns

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers surely envisioned rookie wideout Dexter Jackson and his blazing speed as a deep threat of the future when selecting him in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft.

It would be a bit unfair to expect the youngster to immediately step in to camp and grasp the team’s complex offense, but Jackson was also brought in with the hopes of providing a boost to the return game.

It is a challenge for Jackson to carve out a special teams role while trying to absorb a thick offensive playbook, but he knows his first chance to make an impact could come in the return game.

“When I first got here, I had the playbook for offense and then [Special Teams] Coach [Rich Bisaccia] gave me the big playbook for special teams,” Jackson said. “It’s kind of doubling up on us, but I know a big contribution on my part will be on special teams out of the gate. I’m trying to really study that and the offense so I know what to do when I get in there.”

A talented and diverse group of wide receivers means Jackson’s reps during passing drills are often somewhat limited. But as the team ran through some kickoff return periods for the first time Sunday morning, Jackson got his fair share of opportunities.

“As a wide receiver, I’m getting spot-played and just learning the ropes, where to line up, plays to run and just concepts on the offensive end,” Jackson said. “I’m just going to be utilized when I can on offense and I’m just really trying to learn all the plays on offense so when I do get in there I’ll know what to do. On special teams, I’m trying to learn that as well so I can deliver. We had some [kickoff returns] earlier today and I just finished up with some extra ones, so I’m getting a lot.”

Even though Jackson’s first crack at making a splash play in the NFL may be on the receiving end of a kickoff rather than a Jeff Garcia pass, the speedy young receiver said he’s excited for any opportunity that comes his way.

“For the most part, it feels good to come out here and be part of the team and make plays,” Jackson said.
If whoever the QB is can get him the ball, he'll have opportunities to make plays. Bucs don't have much speed outside of Galloway.

appfan2008
July 30th, 2008, 08:40 AM
wouldnt it be great if favre went down there and could air it out to dexter!

813Jag
July 31st, 2008, 08:12 AM
Nice article (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/31/sp-facing-a-tall-order/) on Dexter Jackson in today's Tampa Tribune. Here's a pic of him in camp:

http://media.tbo.com/photos/sports/2008/jul/0730djax425.jpg

appfan2008
July 31st, 2008, 10:20 AM
i dont think dex getting injuried is that big of a worry...

813Jag
July 31st, 2008, 12:40 PM
i dont think dex getting injuried is that big of a worry...
I don't think so either, it'll be good to actually see somebody with speed at receiver other than Galloway.

USDFAN_55
July 31st, 2008, 02:31 PM
The future of the Bucsxnodx

813Jag
July 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
The future of the Bucsxnodx
Only if Gruden leaves, he doesn't keep QBs long.

813Jag
August 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Right now (and it's early) Jackson is behind Galloway, Maurice Stovall, and Antonio Bryant on the first depth chart released.

Also right now he's wearing #10.

ericsaid
August 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Right now (and it's early) Jackson is behind Galloway, Maurice Stovall, and Antonio Bryant on the first depth chart released.

Also right now he's wearing #10.

Should get time in 4 WR sets.

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Should get time in 4 WR sets.
He'll mostly get time returning kicks which has historically been a Bucs weakness. Of course there's still time for the annual Michael Clayton flame out.

Skjellyfetti
August 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM
DYNAMIC DUO? The Bucs used Micheal Spurlock and rookie Dexter Jackson on kickoff returns, giving the Bucs two potential game breakers in their effort to improve field position. The move didn't yield spectacular results — the longest return of the night was Jackson's 21-yard runback.

They also split punt-return duties, with Spurlock taking the first couple of turns.

But it's expected that Jackson will supplant him as the preseason progresses — or at least that's the plan, according to coaches.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article765227.ece

813Jag
August 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Jackson also had a catch for 13 yards. Josh Johnson completed his first pass in the 4th Quarter.