PDA

View Full Version : What keeps Coen at Lehigh?

Pard94
July 18th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Phil Steele's recent PL predictions started an interesting subtopic of discussion that I thought was worthy of its own thread. How well does Coach Coen at Lehigh have to do to keep his job? One of the Lehigh regulars brought up the excellent point that one could make the case that Lehigh really should be cut a little slack this year given that the have major questions at critical positions (QB being chief among them). That being said, given the lack of success last year (defined as no league championship and yet another loss to Lafayette in The Game) with a top rated returning QB, just how short is Coen's leash?

I personally see it like this...

PL chamionship earns Coen another three to five years

Winning record and a win against Lafayette gets him 1-3 years more

Winning record and a loss to Lafayette gets him 1 more tenious year

Losing record and win against Lafayette MAY get him one more year though it will be over much protest from students and alumni

Losing record and loss to Lafayette = put the house on the market, pack up the Family Truckster and start searching the want ads for Coordinator roles.

carney2
July 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Phil Steele's recent PL predictions started an interesting subtopic of discussion that I thought was worthy of its own thread. How well does Coach Coen at Lehigh have to do to keep his job? One of the Lehigh regulars brought up the excellent point that one could make the case that Lehigh really should be cut a little slack this year given that the have major questions at critical positions (QB being chief among them). That being said, given the lack of success last year (defined as no league championship and yet another loss to Lafayette in The Game) with a top rated returning QB, just how short is Coen's leash?

I personally see it like this...

PL chamionship earns Coen another three to five years

Winning record and a win against Lafayette gets him 1-3 years more

Winning record and a loss to Lafayette gets him 1 more tenious year

Losing record and win against Lafayette MAY get him one more year though it will be over much protest from students and alumni

Losing record and loss to Lafayette = put the house on the market, pack up the Family Truckster and start searching the want ads for Coordinator roles.

I disagree. Neither another losing record nor another loss to Lafayette are out of the question, but the Lehigh powers that be have never shown themselves to be hang the coach types. Despite some screeching alumni (many of them on this board), I'm betting that Andy Coen survives the season. I'm also betting that this patience will be rewarded. His team is one year away.

DetroitFlyer
July 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
What is going to happen to him once Lehigh loses to Drake in a few weeks?

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM
What is going to happen to him once Lehigh loses to Drake in a few weeks?

You will be incorrigible, all non-Lehigh fans will not be surpised and only mildly interested.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
The short answer is: this is Coen's team now. There are basically no leftovers from Lembo's time, these are all his recruits and his system. Another season like last year and I can't see how he remains.

In order of importance for coach Coen, I'd say is the following:

1. Beating Lafayette
2. Playing every game hard to the very end
3. Winning record
4. PL Championship
5. Autobid/Playoffs

If he gets all these goals done, I think he has the Lehigh job as long as he wants. But I think losing the sixth straight to Lafayette would be devastating to his chances, no matter what the record.

carney2
July 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM
losing the sixth straight to Lafayette

You're ahead of yourself. It won't be six in a row until November 21, 2009.

Pard94
July 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I disagree. Neither another losing record nor another loss to Lafayette are out of the question, but the Lehigh powers that be have never shown themselves to be hang the coach types. Despite some screeching alumni (many of them on this board), I'm betting that Andy Coen survives the season. I'm also betting that this patience will be rewarded. His team is one year away.

Oh man, Carney...I don't know. If he loses the support of the alumni, student body and maybe even his own players I don't see how he survives. I know Lehigh (nor any PL school) is not a football factory but football is important. Results are important. One could easily make the case that Coen was handed a very good situation upon which he was unable to capitalize. Now I have made it no secret that I personally think he inheritied a QB that was far less talented than the hype which surrounded him. Perception is reality though and Threatt's final year, in retrospect, was pretty devastating to Coen if you ask me. Right or wrong I think the ice is pretty thin.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Neither another losing record nor another loss to Lafayette are out of the question, but the Lehigh powers that be have never shown themselves to be hang the coach types.

Many sure seemed to be that type when Lembo was coach.

One could easily make the case that Coen was handed a very good situation upon which he was unable to capitalize. Now I have made it no secret that I personally think he inheritied a QB that was far less talented than the hype which surrounded him. Perception is reality though and Threatt's final year, in retrospect, was pretty devastating to Coen if you ask me. Right or wrong I think the ice is pretty thin.

Was Coen handed a very good situation? Again, it depends on whom you talk to. Some would say that he was handed a very good team that was one minute away from a PL championship and second-consecutive playoff apprearance; the others would say that Lembo "jumped ship since he knew the cupboard was bare". The truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

Coen has been remaking the team to conform to his offensive philosophy. The debates on how talented Threatt is/was will probably go on for quite some time. How would he have done in an Appalachian-style spread offense instead of Coen's system? What if he wasn't injured? etc. Threatt was not a bad QB by any stretch of the imagination - when healthy.

Lehigh has had a history of producing great PL QB's and offenses putting a lot of points on the board. Last year's offensive struggles - especially at home against Holy Cross - were something Lehigh fans hadn't seen in 20 years. That wasn't only a function of raised offensive expectations.

The difference between this year and last year is that Threatt was seen as Lembo's QB that Coen inherited. This year, it is Coen's vision of who a QB is and what a QB should do. It is 100% his offense, with his recruits and his players.

Marcus Garvey
July 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I saw the thread title and thought the answer was Pete's Hot Dog shop on Broadway. That would keep me working at Lehigh! Oh, and the Goosey Gander too! :D

carney2
July 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM
(In response to the comment "Lehigh powers that be have never shown themselves to be hang the coach types."): Many sure seemed to be that type when Lembo was coach.

Not true. Certainly many alumni wanted Pete Lembo's scalp, but not because he was a loser. He wasn't. In fact, he left Lehigh with the highest winning percentage in University history. They wanted him gone for the insane reason that he wasn't Kevin Higgins. At no time did "the powers that be" - the administration - give any indication that they were ready to pull the trigger on Lembo.

TheValleyRaider
July 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have to think he gets at least another year or two unless this coming season is an unmitigated disaster

There's definately been an overhaul within the program, and that's certainly not going to have taken place over night. I think it's too early to have this conversation. Talk to me again in at least another year or two

But that's an outsider's perspective xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I have to think he gets at least another year or two unless this coming season is an unmitigated disaster

There's definately been an overhaul within the program, and that's certainly not going to have taken place over night. I think it's too early to have this conversation. Talk to me again in at least another year or two

But that's an outsider's perspective xpeacex

A losing season and another loss to Lafayette would qualify as an unmitigated disaster. My biggest gripe with Coen so far has been the fact that no one on the offense has really improved or exceeded expectations. A good coach can get certain guys to overachieve. In Coen's case the opposite has happened and based on peoples feelings heading into this year that seems to be the trend this year.

carney2
July 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
A losing season and another loss to Lafayette would qualify as an unmitigated disaster. My biggest gripe with Coen so far has been the fact that no one on the offense has really improved or exceeded expectations. A good coach can get certain guys to overachieve. In Coen's case the opposite has happened and based on peoples feelings heading into this year that seems to be the trend this year.

Please elaborate.

carney2
July 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I saw the thread title and thought the answer was Pete's Hot Dog shop on Broadway. That would keep me working at Lehigh! Oh, and the Goosey Gander too! :D

The Ho. Still the best burger in Bethlehem.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Please elaborate.

Given the fact the offense was dreadful during the spring game is not a bode of confidence that Coen has figured it out yet. The individual pieces are there for a successful campaign but Coen needs to put them together for that to actually happen. The defense will be downright scary good, probably the best since '03. If the offense can average 24 points a game i think 7-4, 8-3 is easily obtainable. I think Lehigh will look alot like Lafayette's '05 team if Coen can maximize the potential on the team.

ngineer
July 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Interesting topic. My take.
First, as pointed out, Lehigh does not pull a fast trigger on coaches. They take into consideration the whole picture and not just W & L's. As much as certain alums scream and yell with their tantrums, they are a very small minority. PL teams are not football factories where the entire athletic department's budget is hanging on the success of the football team. We want a team that is out there playing hard, and 'in the hunt' for the championship. When your league and OOC competition is all pretty comparative, the difference between 8-3 and 4-7 can be fairly thin at times.
Last year's team was a disappointment for all, including Coen, and he made no bones about it. Hopefully it will be a motivator for the players. This year's seniors were primarily recruited by Lembo. Coen was hired very late, so his 'initial class' was not much of his making. The last two are, and from all accounts, the quality in terms of size and strength is better, as well as some speed. The QB will be a huge factor this year. I agree that the Threatt demise cast a cloud over last year. He was seriously hurt in the Princeton game and never fully recovered, affecting his play. At the same time, Lembo had annointed Threatt as the heir and none of the other QBs on the squad were better. Furthermore, Lembo was not forced out at Lehigh. He took a great opportunity to step up the ladder on course designed to end up with an FBS school in the near future. Yes, he rubbed some people the wrong way, but he was very young and was not the 'diplomat' some people think he should have been.
If there was a watershed moment last year, it may have been Holy Cross. That was a down right embarrassment and, only if something like that occurs again, do I think Coen's job would be in jeopardy (barring a major season long collapse). After the HC game, Lehigh played hard and either won or was in each game. Lafayette was a clear toss-up and Lehigh was a break away from winning that game, having lead most of the game.
I believe a school like Lehigh will give a coach a full shot of establishing his program with his recruits, unless something unseemly occurs. So long as Lehigh is competitive and is 'right there' with the competition this year, even if anothe 5-6 season, I see Coen getting at least one more year to complete the task.
Our defense could well be the best in the PL this year. We may have the best kicker/punting game. The big Q will be the offense. I think whichever QB starts, they have shown themselves to 'serviceable', so I think the real key will be the OL in giving protection (which they failed at miserably last year) and opening some daylight for two excellent backs. However, the focus always seems to be on the QB.
I think the preseason pick of being 5th is expected because of the ? at QB. Any other position with a ? does not have as much impact. But the gap between 1 and 5 is not that great and I fully expect us to have a shot against anyone. The only game I would call us a 'decided underdog' is our away game at Villanova, and even that is a game that I think we are capable of pulling an upset as we did two years ago.
So, "in conclusion", I expect Coen to have this team ready and he'll be around after this year. If the team doesn't respond, and gets blown out, then I won't be surprised to see heads roll. Remember Kevin Higgins had THREE losing seasons in his first four years before he was able to establish his program with his recruits.

LUHawker
July 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM
It is but a capable coaching staff should be able to get a kid prepared to play and be effective. All a QB this year needs to do is manage the game. Like i said he has two very good RB's behind him to take the pressure off, an improved OL that will provide better protection than was given last year. Also he'll have a go to guy at WR and a good safety valve at TE. This combined with what could very easily be the best "D" in the league. Coen needs to show he can make the moves to put the kids in position to win. In the first two years i haven't really seen that. Lembo was about to take a guy like Keaton and put him a position to succeed at a high level.

I lifted this quote from another thread, but I think it highlights an interesting point about the QB spot. While Threatt had question marks on his abilities, I think it was his style that hurt Lehigh. Much like a wingman (either the aerial or bar types) takes his cues from the lead, the offense takes its cues from the QB. But with Threatt you never knew what he was going to do. As soon as he got into any trouble he tucked and ran. Sure, every once in a while he made some spectacular moves and plays that always gave you hope, but I think it was difficult for the offense to function with a "wildcard" at QB. He didn't try to avoid the sack and then try to find a receiver or wait at times for the play to develop, he just tucked and bolted. Its very hard to know if you should zig or zag because this guy was always zigging and zagging somewhat randomly. I exaggerating a bit, but just for effect. Lehigh may not have a stellar QB this year, but it may not need one and may actually function better. I think that Lehigh's O this year will be less spectacular but more consistent and should be able to keep it in the race.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Remember Kevin Higgins had THREE losing seasons in his first four years before he was able to establish his program with his recruits.

Higgins had 2 losing seasons, he was 5-5-1 in 1994 before winning the league the following year. His '94 team got steam rolled by Marsh and Lafayette but the following year he responded with an 8-3 PL title. 1995 also started the streak over the 'Pards.

Syntax Error
July 18th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Lembo was forced out/saw the writng on the wall. Some Lehigh folks don't want to admit they were tooting the Lembo departure and they now rationalize it.

ngineer
July 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Disagree on the force out, if you imply by the administration. He did have very thin skin and the criticism from the vocal alums got him into some 'back and forth' that wasn't pleasant. The opening at Elon was perfect timing for him to step up to a program with full scholarships, and needed a savior. No great expectations, such as were at Lehigh. A turn-around, he becomes a name on the rise. No success, well, there hadn't been much there for awhile. Being 'forced out' is perception due to some people thinking that 'they' had some influence on the situation. I think Pete saw he was in a 'no win' situtation for any longterm gig, and took a great opportunity. Certainly, if he had been perfectly happy, as was Higgins*, he would have stayed. But following Kevin was most difficult, not only due to the record, but in terms of personality, as well.

*Higgins said before leaving Lehigh for the Detroit Lions that he didn't want to leave, but could not pass up the possible 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to coach in the NFL. Obviously, that did not work outr well, but he certainly segued into a nice opportunity at The Citadel.

ngineer
July 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Higgins had 2 losing seasons, he was 5-5-1 in 1994 before winning the league the following year. His '94 team got steam rolled by Marsh and Lafayette but the following year he responded with an 8-3 PL title. 1995 also started the streak over the 'Pards.

I stand corrected...However, a 5-5-1 record, IMO, feels like a losing record and it certainly isn't a 'winning' record...5-6, 5-5-1, distinctions with little difference. The point is he had very mediocre teams 3/4 years before the turnaround came.