PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire QB?

flexbone
July 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Who is the starter going to be?

UNHWILDCATS05
July 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Who is the starter going to be?

R.J. Toman (http://www.unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=F84DA6E8-041B-2D0B-D1FD4FF3B8D34980&profile=0E06DE49-0726-3A25-A12273FC60C33210)

WrenFGun
July 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
To further elucidate that point, Toman came in against Delaware and destroyed them for most of the game, before a late comeback, though he was playing with a limited playbook. He did the same thing against an obviously outclassed Iona group.

Toman is faster than Santos, but not as shifty. In open space, I'd take Toman, but I think Santos is probably better at making plays with his legs. Granted, Toman is only a sophomore with two starts under his belt. Toman throws a better ball and might have a better arm, but he is not the accurate passer Santos was, yet. Again, that could happen, he's still young. I'm most impressed by his ability to throw on the run, which he may have to do a lot if our OL breaks down again.

crusader11
July 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Still think it was a mistake to name the starting QB after the spring game. Decker and Toman should have competed for the starting job in the first 2 weeks of camp in August. Just my opinion.

andy7171
July 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Summer camp is for preparing for the first game and season. Spring is where you battle for positions.

That said, if a back up performs well and a named starter doesn't, no position ownership should be written in stone.

danefan
July 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
A new QB needs as many reps as possible during summer camp. He also doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder at the same time he's trying to work out his timing and take control of the team.

With this kid (soph right?) I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 75% of the snaps in summer camp.

crusader11
July 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I understand what you are saying, but hear me out with this. In the Spring, Decker was still getting a handle on the offense (it was his first time actually working with the starting team), so Toman had a head start, if you will, on Decker. As the Spring progressed, however, and the Spring game rolled around, Decker outplayed Toman in the game after getting used to the offense and working with the starters.

I think if the two compete against one another in the opening weeks of camp, after Decker fully understands the offense, it would make more sense to then name the starter.

bluehenbillk
July 17th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yes, Toman was impressive vs UD last year.

PapaBear
July 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Still think it was a mistake to name the starting QB after the spring game. Decker and Toman should have competed for the starting job in the first 2 weeks of camp in August. Just my opinion.

Maine will go thru this, too, this year -- for the second year in a row. Same two guys. Same lack of consistent/majority reps for either of them. I agree ... seems counterproductive. But what do we know?

Smendy
July 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM
While they don't have a David Ball type superstar, Toman and Decker will have Scott Sicko and Mike Boyle back as receivers, so they'll have a chance to shine for the Wildcats, even in their first season as a starter. I hope to catch them on TV when Hofstra plays them.

SOCAL
July 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Thats why you are not a coach--only a cheerleader for your buddy:)

Every football program worth anything will name the starters --especially QB after Spring practice.

At my school USC it was Sanchez v Mustain---pretty close competition in the Spring ---but Pete Carroll named his No.1--Sanchez

The designation means more at QB than any other position--with it goes reps, leadership and responsibility.

Summer/Fall practice means getting ready for the first game---not creating confusion---

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 17th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Thats why you are not a coach--only a cheerleader for your buddy:)

Every football program worth anything will name the starters --especially QB after Spring practice.

At my school USC it was Sanchez v Mustain---pretty close competition in the Spring ---but Pete Carroll named his No.1--Sanchez

The designation means more at QB than any other position--with it goes reps, leadership and responsibility.

Summer/Fall practice means getting ready for the first game---not creating confusion---

Ironic that you mention Sanchez as I do believe that Toman was his backup at Mission Viejo HS. RJ got one year at the helm after Sanchez went to USC.

Rob Iola
July 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, Toman went all Tom Brady on us - I honestly don't know what it is about obscure (at the time) QBs sitting on UNH's bench that get thrown into the UD games cold due to injury and absolutely crucify us (an unknown Ricky Santos did the same thing to us back in '04)...

SOCAL
July 18th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Ironic that you mention Sanchez as I do believe that Toman was his backup at Mission Viejo HS. RJ got one year at the helm after Sanchez went to USC.

That is correct--I played football with Sanchez and Toman at Mission Viejo HS---now I am just a student at USC

Perhaps many of you don't know that during the Toman/Sanchez era at Mission they were ranked in the top 5 in the country and defeated teams such as Long Beach Poly, Concord DeLaSalle and Mater Dei--we played on national TV 3 times(Fox Sports)

Toman is a winner and New Hampshire is lucky to have him

bleedblue
July 18th, 2008, 03:05 AM
To further elucidate that point, Toman came in against Delaware and destroyed them for most of the game, before a late comeback, though he was playing with a limited playbook. He did the same thing against an obviously outclassed Iona group.

Toman is faster than Santos, but not as shifty. In open space, I'd take Toman, but I think Santos is probably better at making plays with his legs. Granted, Toman is only a sophomore with two starts under his belt. Toman throws a better ball and might have a better arm, but he is not the accurate passer Santos was, yet. Again, that could happen, he's still young. I'm most impressed by his ability to throw on the run, which he may have to do a lot if our OL breaks down again.

On a scale of 1 to 10, Santos being a ten (for this example) what number do you, or anyone, think Toman is? What do you feel his high end # could be and what could be his low end #?

For what it's worht (nothing) if Santos is a 10 Toman is 6with high end 8 and low end 5. What do you think?

WrenFGun
July 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Bleedblue,

I think Toman has more actual "upside" than Santos, just in terms of quarterbacking skills, but I don't think they'll be a QB in FCS football with Santos ability to make something out of nothing. As I've mentioned, Toman is faster with a better throwing arm and a great ability to throw on the run, but I doubt he'll ever be the gamer that Santos was (it's almost impossible). In terms of an ability to run and offense at the FCS level, though, he's got a wealth of talent and has a chance to be a good one, particularly with his ability to move in and out of the pocket, make things happen with his legs, and, in particular, throw on the run (to the opposite side of the field, nonetheless). What's going to determine the success of this season is whether he can make the progressions the way Ricky did, and if he can take what the defense gives him over and over and over again. There was no doubt that Ricky has an unbelievable understanding of the system and was surgical in his dinks and dunks over the middle and to the outside.

Toman's going to be helped by the best running game UNH has had since I've been watching them. Chris Ward is gone, but for the most part, I wasn't his biggest fan. Ward's departure leaves room for Sean Jellison, who dominated the spring game and seems like a complete package back, though he's not as fast as Chad Kackert (who has a very difficult time missing defenders) and not as powerful as Bobby Simpson (who is terribly not shifty), so I think the three will complement each other well. I'm not sure Coach Mac is big on Simpson, so you may see a lot of Kackert and Jellison this season, much to Toman's delight.

UNH_ORACLE
July 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
rest assured, Coach Mac will have the best QB playing at Army, whether it's Toman or Decker.

UNH 1999
July 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Toman went all Tom Brady on us - I honestly don't know what it is about obscure (at the time) QBs sitting on UNH's bench that get thrown into the UD games cold due to injury and absolutely crucify us (an unknown Ricky Santos did the same thing to us back in '04)...

That is a very interesting trend and one I hope continues into the future! xnodx

Should be interesting to see the way Toman handles the UNH offense in the opener againt Army. I will be glues to ESPN Classic watching it unfold!

WrenFGun
July 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Oh come now, not making the trek, 99? I'm sure graduate school has something useful calling, but I wouldn't miss that game for the world.

UNH 1999
July 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I would love to make the trip but with a new little Wildacat on the way, I've had to prioritize expenses. Baby furniture/nursey items are moving up, $$$ for a roadie to West Point down.

Boo for being responsible! ;)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I would love to make the trip but with a new little Wildacat on the way, I've had to prioritize expenses. Baby furniture/nursey items are moving up, $$$ for a roadie to West Point down.

Boo for being responsible! ;)

Don't think anybody can give you any grief over that decision!!! Especially when Northern FL to New York isn't a trivial trek.

Congrats on that good news!!!!!!!! xnodx

UDBlueLotFan
July 19th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Toman should have a good career, but I don't think you'll see another QB like Santos in a long time. The guy can just flat out play, aka,..a gamer! I hope to see him in Arena or in the Canadian league, because he has many playing days ahead of him.

WrenFGun
July 19th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Congrats on the good news, 99.

Might be time to start bringing the new one to home games to fill out the student section!

UNHFootballAlum
July 21st, 2008, 12:50 PM
I hope to make it to the Albany game. Living in LA doesn't give me the opportunity to get to Durham very often. However, I do get to see Chip Kelly once a year against UCLA or USC

GeeWiz
July 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
Looking forward to the NU Huskies defense go up against Toman at Parsons Field! xnodx

Husky Alum
July 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
Looking forward to the NU Huskies defense go up against Toman at Parsons Field! xnodx

Yeah, should be a typical UNH-NU barn burner - 52-48.

NU's defensive backfield couldn't stop a sneeze.

ivyfan
July 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Good luck to R.J. Toman, QB product of Orange County, California. Mentored by Mark Sanchez and coached by Rob and Bob Johnson. He has all the tools necessary to be a good one. My Q.B. son played against MV and R.J. and lost a heartbreaker 6-7, went for 2 with 5 seconds on the clock, the pass was knocked out of our receivers hands. Mission Viejo had not been defeated for some time.

GannonFan
July 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
UNH will be more than fine with Toman under center this year. While Santos was a great QB, the system at UNH is what makes most of the magic. We were just starting to see that with Granieri before he tore his ACL and Santos got the chance he never gave up. Toman's certainly a quality QB and with the system, not to mention the easier schedule this year (no UD, JMU, or Richmond for New Hampshire this year) don't be surprised to see UNH in the playoffs again this year and likely the top team in the CAA North.

SOCAL
July 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Good luck to R.J. Toman, QB product of Orange County, California. Mentored by Mark Sanchez and coached by Rob and Bob Johnson. He has all the tools necessary to be a good one. My Q.B. son played against MV and R.J. and lost a heartbreaker 6-7, went for 2 with 5 seconds on the clock, the pass was knocked out of our receivers hands. Mission Viejo had not been defeated for some time.y

I played against your QB son and he was and still is a fine player--cool calm and collected --I believe he is now playing with a former teammate of mine--Sonny McCracken --Go South Coast League--Orange County California

UNHFan99
July 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
I have heard very positive things about the new Freshman QB Vick. He looks like an great athlete and I think he will challenge for the job if Toman slips up at all.

WrenFGun
July 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I think Vick would have to beat out Decker for that to happen, though. Decker seems to have had a strong camp, as well.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Don't forget that the naming of Toman as the starter was based on the entire Spring Practice not just the Blue-White game. And adding to what GannonFan stated, Toman has had two years learning that "UNH System", Decker one and Vick none. That alone gives RJ an advantage. I'm just glad to see that it seems like we've got some depth at QB, because I know a couple of seasons ago an injury to Santos would have been crippling. I know in 2005 and 2006 I couldn't even write QB depth as a concern for UNH because I feared jinxing them!! xwhistlex xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNH SUPERFAN
July 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Regarding the QB situation at UNH Toman is clearly the man. I was not impressed with Decker, I thought he looked slow and un-athletic, very skinny. He threw the ball well but I believe he will the forgotten man at UNH as other more athletic QBs behind him come in and compete for the job. Just my opinion.