PDA

View Full Version : Chris Gocong: Starting Eagle LB and... Engineer?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080713/SPORTS02/807130363/1002/SPORTS

PHILADELPHIA -- Chris Gocong wouldn't be surprised if his post-NFL career life is linked to football.

With all the uproar over disability money for retired NFL players, Gocong has a plan.

"I'll probably be designing artificial hip implants," Gocong said last month.

Gocong completed a course in fluid dynamics to earn his biomedical engineering degree in 2005 from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo -- a school known for producing renowned engineers, not professional athletes.

xrulesx

slostang
July 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Gocong is just as impressive for his sucesses off the field which is saying something. How many biomedical engineers have had 23.5 sacks during their senior year of college?

Here is the next great Cal Poly Linebacker/engineer:

Quentin Greenlaw, LB, 6-0, 205, Oxnard, CA (Rio Mesa HS)
Greenlaw accumulated 89 tackles as a junior and 79 more as a senior under head coach Bob Gregorchuk at Rio Mesa High School. He also had three sacks in each season. Greenlaw also rushed 35 times for 182 yards and two scores, returned a kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown, forced two fumbles and recovered a fumble in his senior season; as a junior he blocked a kick. Greenlaw was named to the All-Ventura County and All-Pacific View League first teams, earned team defensive MVP honors and was a three-year varsity starter. Rio Mesa was 4-6 overall and 2-3 in the Pacific View League last fall and 10-2 for the season and 5-0 for first place in the Pacific View League in 2006, reaching the quarterfinal round of the CIF-Southern Section Northern Division playoffs. Greenlaw ran a leg on the of Rio Mesa's 4x100 relay team that took fourth place in the California State Track and Field meet.

Link:http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3000507

Franks Tanks
July 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Thats nice--in the mean time he better stop sucking so profusely at LB for the Eagles.

slostang
July 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thats nice--in the mean time he better stop sucking so profusely at LB for the Eagles.

Franks Tanks, I use to think that you knew football. It is funny that the Eagle coaches think that Chris is a very talented and you think he sucks. I think I will go with the pros on this one.

Franks Tanks
July 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Franks Tanks, I use to think that you knew football. It is funny that the Eagle coaches think that Chris is a very talented and you think he sucks. I think I will go with the pros on this one.

Overal he is doing a fair job. When you consider he was a DE in college he is actually doing pretty good, however I still think he is out of position as he should be a pass rusher in a 3-4 scheme IMO. I was somewhat joking he is a good kid and hardworker, but not a great NFL backer---maybe a Dwight Freeney type player however.

93henfan
July 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Well Frank is correct in that Gocong has done jack squat for the Eagles so far. This is a sports town where respect is earned, not given. Ask Jevon Kearse. If Gocong can prove himself, the adoration will come.

Hoyadestroya85
July 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
he wishes he was a Giant

Franks Tanks
July 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Well Frank is correct in that Gocong has done jack squat for the Eagles so far. This is a sports town where respect is earned, not given. Ask Jevon Kearse. If Gocong can prove himself, the adoration will come.

He is a good kid, but again I think the Eagles arent using him correctly and he wont reach his potential if they continue.

AggieFinn
July 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'd like to see how big the list is of notable professional athletes with engineering degrees. I do know that pitcher Kevin Brown has a Mech. Engr. degree from Georgia Tech which is pretty impressive considering his MLB record. he might've been on steroids though...he got Mitchell Reported.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/12/14/timestopics/Kevinbrown.jpg

Franks Tanks
July 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
I'd like to see how big the list is of notable professional athletes with engineering degrees. I do know that pitcher Kevin Brown has a Mech. Engr. degree from Georgia Tech which is pretty impressive considering his MLB record. he might've been on steroids though...he got Mitchell Reported.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/12/14/timestopics/Kevinbrown.jpg

Tim Ruddy, the former Miami Dolphins center, graduated from Notre Dame with like a 3.8 in Mechanical Engineering. He was also the Dolphins starting center for 9 years

AggieFinn
July 22nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Tim Ruddy, the former Miami Dolphins center, graduated from Notre Dame with like a 3.8 in Mechanical Engineering. He was also the Dolphins starting center for 9 years

You gotta love linemen!!! Wow, to be Marino's center for any period of time must've been awesome.