PDA

View Full Version : Make it Official: Great West All-Sports Conference

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Figured now that it's official and will be announced todaqy, we'd start a new thread...so, six teams for now:

Utah Valley Univ
Univ of North Dakota
Univ of South Dakota
Houston Baptist
UT-Pan American
New Jersey Institute of Technology
---------------------
Joining the Great West today is a sextet of universities — Utah Valley, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas Pan American, Houston Baptist and New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Chicago State and Seattle are expected to follow soon into the Great West Conference; Cal State Bakersfield, Longhurst and Savannah State are said to have declined their invitations in hopes of aligning themselves in other conferences.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700241969,00.html

danefan
July 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
NJIT?

I haven't been following this - but really? That's more odd on its face than Stony Brook in the Big South.

Dane96
July 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Could quite possibly be the worst conference of all-time.

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
NJIT?

I haven't been following this - but really? That's more odd on its face than Stony Brook in the Big South.

In all reality, they were all independents and scheduling each other through that 'alliance' anyway. This just conferences their alliance and eventually will give them postseason opportunities...

danefan
July 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
In all reality, they were all independents and scheduling each other through that 'alliance' anyway. This just conferences their alliance and eventually will give them postseason opportunities...

Man I can't even imagine the travel expenses for NJIT.

BISON Thunder
July 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
So USD and UND will be the only schools which will field teams in all sports? What happened to Poly and Davis?

89Hen
July 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Could quite possibly be the worst conference of all-time.
Really not even close. xnutsx

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM
So USD and UND will be the only schools which will field teams in all sports? What happened to Poly and Davis?

That's incorrect. USD does not have baseball, do they? Every other school does, right?

Neither USD and UND have men's tennis. UTPA, Utah Valley State and NJIT do. HBU is adding it. I'd assume they'd have a conference championship in the sport, even with four teams. It'll be a sport where the conference contests a championship, but does not have conference matches during the regular season -- which is what quite a few conferences do.

I am sure there are other examples, but not game for looking...

And why would Poly and Davis want to join when an auto-bid is several years away and they already got a league that has one -- same with Southern Utah.

89rabbit
July 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM

It will be a loooooong while if ever.

. . . The Great West wouldn't be considered an official NCAA member conference until August 2011 at the earliest — the moratorium on creating new Division I conferences is in effect until then.

And it will likely be much longer than that, since the NCAA requires six full-status Division I member institutions — and many of the Great West newcomers have a longer wait than Utah Valley's single year. . . . (read more)

Best of luck to the Great West.

pwbnd
July 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I see NJIT went 0-29 last season in men's BB....ouch.

5-29 in 2006-07

813Jag
July 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Figured now that it's official and will be announced todaqy, we'd start a new thread...so, six teams for now:

Utah Valley Univ
Univ of North Dakota
Univ of South Dakota
Houston Baptist
UT-Pan American
---------------------
Joining the Great West today is a sextet of universities — Utah Valley, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas Pan American, Houston Baptist and New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Chicago State and Seattle are expected to follow soon into the Great West Conference; Cal State Bakersfield, Longhurst and Savannah State are said to have declined their invitations in hopes of aligning themselves in other conferences.

Smart move on their part. Their options will be the MEAC and ???? xconfusedx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
So let me get this straight: the "founding fathers" of this conference are two programs - UND and USD - that haven't played a single GWFC game in any sport to date?

I wonder how Cal Poly, UC-Davis, and SUU feel about all of this? They were the driving forces behind a GWFC originally; now two Johnny-come-latelies have made them affiliates in their own conference.

Furthermore, none of the other schools are really seriously pursuing football (Utah Valley, Houston Baptist, TX-PA, NJIT). Does that really align with Cal Poly and UC-Davis' dream to nab San Diego from the Pioneer to get an autobid for football?

IMO, UC-Davis, Cal Poly and SUU can't be happy about this - and it firmly keeps San Diego in the Pioneer, too.

dgreco
July 10th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think it is good for these schools, its not the best, but it allows them to not just be independents forever

AmsterBison
July 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Smart move on their part. Their options will be the MEAC and ???? xconfusedx

Well, I think the real reason for Savannah State not joining is that the travel costs would bankrupt them.

813Jag
July 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Well, I think the real reason for Savannah State not joining is that the travel costs would bankrupt them.
I agree. I was commenting on the statement that they would look for another conference home.

mizzoufan1
July 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Well this is an interesting development...

I want to see if Chicago State and Seattle actually decide to tag along...

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
IMO, UC-Davis, Cal Poly and SUU can't be happy about this - and it firmly keeps San Diego in the Pioneer, too.

Southern Utah's AD spearheaded the efforts, if I am not mistaken! xthumbsupx

bandit
July 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Good for them! Conferences have to start somewhere. If I understand the NCAA rules correctly, they'll have an auto-bid in 5 years as long as at least 6 schools hang together for that period.

It would obviously make little sense for Southern Utah and Denver to join the Great West now for all sports, since they are already in auto-bid leagues, but in 5 to 7 years it might be an attractive alternative for them, especially considering escalating travel costs.

It also provides a potential home for other Western schools who might think about a move to D-1, but were reluctant to proceed without the reasonable prospect of conference membership.

Once they get their auto-bid, it will likely mean another play-in game in the NCAA tournament.

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm curious if this will help push a few schools into serious looks at football. Obviously, UT-Pan Am is not going to need football anytime soon -- they have enough problems, but a Houston Baptist?

They got a former FBS president (Sloan was President at Baylor) and could their be rumblings there, once they get all the things in place?

CollegeSportsInfo
July 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Exactly, it's just an alliance. It will give the schools the opportunity to build their programs and showcase them to other conferences. Gotta figure that if UND and USD were to become stong programs, that the Summit would consider them for #11 and #12. NJIT is hoping the NEC comes calling. and if Seattle joins, it's just until the WCC lets them in.

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Exactly, it's just an alliance. It will give the schools the opportunity to build their programs and showcase them to other conferences. Gotta figure that if UND and USD were to become stong programs, that the Summit would consider them for #11 and #12. NJIT is hoping the NEC comes calling. and if Seattle joins, it's just until the WCC lets them in.

Yep -- while providing championship opprotunities for the schools.

Don't forget, HBU is waiting to see what develops from the Southland Conference in the next realignment while UT-Pan Am is just happy to have a league to call "home".

slostang
July 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM
So let me get this straight: the "founding fathers" of this conference are two programs - UND and USD - that haven't played a single GWFC game in any sport to date?

I wonder how Cal Poly, UC-Davis, and SUU feel about all of this? They were the driving forces behind a GWFC originally; now two Johnny-come-latelies have made them affiliates in their own conference.

Furthermore, none of the other schools are really seriously pursuing football (Utah Valley, Houston Baptist, TX-PA, NJIT). Does that really align with Cal Poly and UC-Davis' dream to nab San Diego from the Pioneer to get an autobid for football?

In my opinion both Cal Poly and UC Davis are happy about this. It will give UND and USD some stability in their transition which will help keep the football side of the conference stable. I can see Utah Valley University adding football in the future which would get the football side to six teams and a shot at an autobid. It also gives the student athletes a chance at a conference championship and all-conference honors and awards.

What is the down side for Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM

They are no longer in the driver's seat.

dbackjon
July 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
In my opinion both Cal Poly and UC Davis are happy about this. It will give UND and USD some stability in their transition which will help keep the football side of the conference stable. I can see Utah Valley University adding football in the future which would get the football side to six teams and a shot at an autobid. It also gives the student athletes a chance at a conference championship and all-conference honors and awards.

I don't see a down side. Worst case scenario is that USD/UND get invited to the Summit/MVFC, killing the GWFC, which is less likely now. Best case scenario is the Great West becomes viable conference down the road, providing a home for schools like SUU (would make more sense than Summit), UVU, etc.

gophoenix
July 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Utah Valley Univ
Univ of North Dakota
Univ of South Dakota
Houston Baptist
UT-Pan American
---------------------

They could take Longwood and Savannah State too!!!

danefan
July 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
They could take Longwood and Savannah State too!!!

Savannah State declined.

slostang
July 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
They are no longer in the driver's seat.

Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah need a home for football. The Great West provides that. The Great West adding schools adds stability to the conference which adds stability to the football side of the conference. Drivers seat??? The three schools are big enough to set aside their egos and do what is right, which is adding stability to their home for football.

Hammersmith
July 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Good for them! Conferences have to start somewhere. If I understand the NCAA rules correctly, they'll have an auto-bid in 5 years as long as at least 6 schools hang together for that period.

It would obviously make little sense for Southern Utah and Denver to join the Great West now for all sports, since they are already in auto-bid leagues, but in 5 to 7 years it might be an attractive alternative for them, especially considering escalating travel costs.

It also provides a potential home for other Western schools who might think about a move to D-1, but were reluctant to proceed without the reasonable prospect of conference membership.

Once they get their auto-bid, it will likely mean another play-in game in the NCAA tournament.

With the current lineup, this conference would get autobids for every sport except men's basketball in 2022, and would never get a MBB autobid. Non-MBB sports played by more than 50% of DI members require 6 core institutions playing together for the previous 2 years. MBB requires 7 core institutions of which 6 have played together during the previous 5 years. A school becomes a core institution when it's been an active DI member for 8 years. Since HBU won't become an active member until 2014, they won't be a core institution until 2022. If Seattle or Chicago State were to also join, then this new conference could get a MBB autobid in 2022 as well. Of course, if anyone here actually thinks these schools will still be together at that time, then I've got some lovely oceanfront property to sell you right here in Fargo.

Reality: The only autobid this conference has a chance of ever landing is in football. Since FCS football is played by less than 50% of DI schools, it only requires 6 active members(not core) playing together for 2 years. With another FB member, the Great West could qualify in 2012(when UND & USD become active members).

Go_Herd
July 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
if anyone here actually thinks these schools will still be together at that time, then I've got some lovely oceanfront property to sell you right here in Fargo.

I take the property but it depends on which ocean. No way I'll have property on the Arctic Ocean...not gonna fight off polar bears

Ok on topic...will there be a buy-in or early exit fee? Speculation on how much?

slostang
July 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I take the property but it depends on which ocean. No way I'll have property on the Arctic Ocean...not gonna fight off polar bears

Ok on topic...will there be a buy-in or early exit fee? Speculation on how much?

I doubt it. At least not to start, maybe down the road.

Syntax Error
July 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/genrel/071008aab.html

Great West Expands to All-Sports League

ELMHURST, ILL. — The Great West has had a very successful run in its first four years as a football-only conference, but the league will take a giant leap forward in the coming years when it expands to include a minimum of six schools and 14 additional sports, Commissioner Ed Grom announced today. By expanding to an all-sports league, the Great West has invited six schools to enter under the Great West umbrella and begin competing in several sports in the 2008-09 year and beginning full conference scheduling in team sports and conducting the full complement of championships in 2009-10.

The schools becoming members of the all-sports league are Houston Baptist University (HBU), New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), University of North Dakota (UND), University of South Dakota (USD), University of Texas-Pan American (UTPA) and Utah Valley University. All six schools have accepted the invitation, and additional institutions may announce their acceptance in the next few months. ...

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM
HBU JOINS GREAT WEST CONFERENCE

Houston Baptist University has announced that it has accepted an invitation to join the Great West Conference. The formal announcement was made Thursday by HBU President Robert B. Sloan Jr. and Director of Athletics Ron Cottrell.

http://hbuhuskies.athleticsite.com/article.asp?articleID=361

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
From the looks of it...

2008-09
Golf and all six T&F components

2009-10
M/W Hoops, Baseball, Softball, Volleyball, W Soccer

No mention of tennis. The programs with men's soccer will continue their affiliation elsewhere.

helmetman
July 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I would like to see someone get football that is new to this conference. Also it seems that more teams will accept an invite to this league. Who else will join the new Great West?

BISON Thunder
July 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Should be a nice arrangement for the student athletes. Best of luck and congrats to all the schools in the GW.

aceinthehole
July 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Really not even close. xnutsx

Good for them, but its an U-G-L-Y conference, and this is coming from someone who watched CCSU and SUNY-Buffalo join the Mid-Con and travel for conference games at UMKC.

aceinthehole
July 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM

I wouldn't expect a NEC invite to go out to NJIT until someone leaves. There is a decent chance the AE will poach the conference and steal CCSU, Monmouth, and/or QU sometime in the future. Other than that, IMO the only other possibility is a real longshot - maybe the MAAC or even the PL could offer QU, Monmouth, Wagner, or possibly Sacred Heart a spot if they became desperate.

The NEC has said "no" to NJIT once already and took Bryant instead. That gives the conference great stability with 12 full members, of which 7 schools play football (plus 2 FB-only affiliates).

bincitysioux
July 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
From the looks of it...

2008-09
Golf and all six T&F components

2009-10
M/W Hoops, Baseball, Softball, Volleyball, W Soccer

No mention of tennis. The programs with men's soccer will continue their affiliation elsewhere.

Seems to be some conflicting reports here. The GWC Press Release (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gwfc/genrel/auto_pdf/ExpansionRelease.pdf) lists both women's soccer and women's tennis as sponsored sports. However the UND press release (http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=1507318), and our A.D. said at the press conference that the GWC won't provide a home for our soccer team. UND also still needs a home for swimming & diving.

There would have to be some sort of buy-in in order to fund the conference. I'd assume there is also some sort of an early exit fee, because UND's A.D. said that all the schools agreed to a 3 year commitment.

I would like to see someone get football that is new to this conference. Also it seems that more teams will accept an invite to this league. Who else will join the new Great West?

Reports have said that Seattle and Chicago St. still have interest, but have not made a decision yet. Chicagos St. is waiting until their new President and A.D. are hired. Perhaps the 3 year commitment scared off Seattle if they feel they could get an earlier invite from the WCC.

BISON Thunder
July 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Bincitysioux, wasn't there discussion of UND getting invited into the Big Sky? Is that for sure not going to occur now?

AZGrizFan
July 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Utah Valley Univ
Univ of North Dakota
Univ of South Dakota
Houston Baptist
UT-Pan American
---------------------

That conference sounds as ****ed up as the Pioneer Football League. Teams spread from hell to creation. xconfusedx

danefan
July 10th, 2008, 03:24 PM
That conference sounds as ****ed up as the Pioneer Football League. Teams spread from hell to creation. xconfusedx

But at least the Pioneer has a legit reason in common- the desire to play non-scholly football.

This conference has one thing in common - the want of a conference.

AZGrizFan
July 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM
But at least the Pioneer has a legit reason in common- the desire to play non-scholly football.

This conference has one thing in common - the want of a conference.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

True. xoopsx

bincitysioux
July 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Bincitysioux, wasn't there discussion of UND getting invited into the Big Sky? Is that for sure not going to occur now?

They invited us, but we declined because they didn't extend the same invitiation to USD, and we are a "package deal". xrolleyesx

Don't you read the papers? xwhistlex

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Surprised there is not so much discussion on the subject on the UND and USD boards. Seems to me that this is a relatively important announcement as it relates to each of those programs...unless I am looking at the wrong board(s) for either of those programs.

HBU board has been more active today than ever before...

mksioux
July 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Surprised there is not so much discussion on the subject on the UND and USD boards. Seems to me that this is a relatively important announcement as it relates to each of those programs...unless I am looking at the wrong board(s) for either of those programs.

The discussion on the UND board is in the reclassification forum, not the football forum.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showtopic=10974

downbythebeach
July 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah that's uglyxnonox
but there are a few good programs in there

NJIT is pretty bad right now, bad enough to be turned down by the NEC, but I hope in a few years they step it up and the NEC allows them in....academically they are pretty good.xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Possible affiliate-members...

Baseball: Chicago State, Dallas Baptist, Longwood, Northern Colorado, Savannah State, Hawaii-Hilo, LeMoyne and throw in Sacramento State if they ever get the boot from the WAC...

Softball: Northern Colorado, Idaho State, Weber State, Georgetown, Longwood, Savannah State

JBB
July 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
This could be the best thing to happen to UND athletics in a long time, maybe a century. This conference is a huge break for them and might provide them a home for many many years. It might be better to stick around until they become auto bid conferences because with the three year commitment and the unlikely prospect in a spot opening in what many UND fans might consider a more desirable conference, the little extra investment in time might be worth it big time! Big news for UND. Big Conference established and it might be for the long term! Way To Go!!!

CollegeSportsInfo
July 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't expect a NEC invite to go out to NJIT until someone leaves. There is a decent chance the AE will poach the conference and steal CCSU, Monmouth, and/or QU sometime in the future. Other than that, IMO the only other possibility is a real longshot - maybe the MAAC or even the PL could offer QU, Monmouth, Wagner, or possibly Sacred Heart a spot if they became desperate.

The NEC has said "no" to NJIT once already and took Bryant instead. That gives the conference great stability with 12 full members, of which 7 schools play football (plus 2 FB-only affiliates).

CCSU to the America East is a move I WANT to see...and a simple marketing name change to Connecticut St. would be a nice move as well.

GOKATS
July 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
They invited us, but we declined because they didn't extend the same invitiation to USD, and we are a "package deal". xrolleyesx

Don't you read the papers? xwhistlex

Huh? I don't recall any discussion whatsoever about UND or USD getting into the Big Sky, let alone an invite. There was discussion a few years back about maybe NDSU and SDSU, but Portland St. and Sac St. put the kibosh on that. Personally I think it'd be great to have a couple Dakota schools in the Big Sky.

dakotadan
July 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Huh? I don't recall any discussion whatsoever about UND or USD getting into the Big Sky, let alone an invite. There was discussion a few years back about maybe NDSU and SDSU, but Portland St. and Sac St. put the kibosh on that. Personally I think it'd be great to have a couple Dakota schools in the Big Sky.

Careful or you are going to walk right into the middle of a UND/NDSU smack fest. It was a joke. xthumbsupx

dakotadan
July 10th, 2008, 11:57 PM
http://greatwestconference.cstv.com/

The Great West has a new website name and is showing the new schools. A completely redesigned website showing all of the sports should be released in a month or two.

TonkaBison
July 11th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Careful or you are going to walk right into the middle of a UND/NDSU smack fest. It was a joke. xthumbsupx

Come on, it was out there for over 24 hours and no one touched it. I think LakesBison has been banned from the board. Good luck with the new conference it will definitely help with the transition and Ed Grom is one hell of a guy to have on your side!!

Green Cookie Monster
July 11th, 2008, 12:42 AM
How is New Jersey IT a West Coast oriented anything?

MplsBison
July 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
How is LA Tech in the WAC instead of Sac State?

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM

La Tech came into the WAC when Rice, SMU, Tulsa, and UTEP were members. Made sense as the WAC had a western group and an eastern group.

Now, the move has backfired and La Tech has crumbled -- even their historic women's BKB program.

Bison77
July 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Lets face it this so called all sports conference is a holding ground for these schools. They'll leave in a heart beat if given the opportunity to leave for a REAL conference. The 3 year committment is a joke as anyone of them would buy out of the GWC if they had a chance. xlolx

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Lets face it this so called all sports conference is a holding ground for these schools. They'll leave in a heart beat if given the opportunity to leave for a REAL conference. The 3 year committment is a joke as anyone of them would buy out of the GWC if they had a chance. xlolx

Why is it a joke? Three year commitment = time til moratorium is lifted. These schools wouldn't really be able to move until thereabouts because that is when the shifting commences...though probably more likely 2014.

houtexan
July 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
From the Houston Chronicle this morning:

July 11, 2008, 12:14AM
HBU finds conference affiliation
Huskies among 2 Texas schools in 9-team Great West

By BRANDON C. WILLIAMS
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
Email Get section feed
Print Recommend
Comments (1) Yahoo! Buzz
Houston Baptist University announced Thursday that it will become a member of the Great West Conference, starting play this fall.

The Great West began as a football-only league in 2004, but it is expanding to include all sports.

"We are excited about our move to the Great West Conference," HBU president Robert B. Sloan Jr. said. "The identity that comes with conference membership will impact our entire HBU community, including our faculty, staff, students and alumni and help build a stronger campus atmosphere. Our participation in the conference will also provide an array of exciting sporting events for the Greater Houston community."

The Huskies will join Texas-Pan American, New Jersey Institute of Technology, North Dakota, South Dakota and Utah Valley in the conference. Cal Poly, UC Davis and Southern Utah will compete in the league only in football for now.

HBU, which joined NCAA Division I as an independent on a provisional basis last year, filed a lawsuit against the NCAA in March, bidding to shorten its probational period from seven years to three. The case will be heard in Houston on Nov. 10.

"The lawsuit does not affect the school joining the Great West," said Tom Thomas, a Dallas-based attorney who is co-counsel for HBU's case against the NCAA.

The Huskies will open Great West play this fall in men's and women's cross country, men's and women's golf, men's and women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's outdoor track and field.

HBU will play a full conference schedule in men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball and women's soccer starting in the 2009-10 season. The men's soccer team will play in the Atlantic Soccer Conference until the Great West adds the sport. HBU doesn't play football.

"Conference affiliation is key to a successful athletic program and will aid in scheduling, fundraising, branding, marketing, recruiting and will give HBU exposure in many areas of the country," Huskies athletic director and men's basketball coach Ron Cottrell said. "We are especially happy that our student-athletes will once again have the opportunity to play for championships and be recognized with postseason honors."

[email protected]

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
They're buying time for SUU to wriggle out of their commitment to the Summit League, methinks. SUU joins the GWC, and NJIT bribes either the NEC, America East or MAAC to take them. NJIT is clearly buying time to get some solution. It looks like TX-PA is in a similar boat.

Seattle sounds like it's looking for bargaining position with the WCC, but quite frankly, I don't think Gonzaga is at all interested in more competition for fans. I think Seattle could very easily find a permanent home in the GWC.

As for Chicago State, they're just looking for a shelter while that dysfunctional program returns to some level of normalcy. But it may benefit them to stay in the GWC with teams that are (reasonably) close by in UND and USD.

It makes no sense for SUU to be the lone Utah outpost in the Summit when there's a viable conference for them with a travel partner (UVU) and a potential rivalry. If/when UVU adds football it makes even more sense.

I think UND/USD hope to drag NDSU/SDSU into the GWC as well eventually, too. But they'd need an autobid in football first - which, by the way, might be doable in 5-6 years. Again, this is contingent on UVU adding football (I think this is a really good bet) - or, less likely, TX-PA.

You wonder if WIU might also be convinced to jump, too. All Summit League teams, notice.

Green Cookie Monster
July 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Come now, I know you aren't that dense.

La Tech and the WAC are FBS, Sac State is in the Sky which is FCS. xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Read on another message board (and may have missed this in some of the releases and articles), but apparently the GWC is looking at innovative ways to schedule...

Here's what was posted...

When the final schools are added, they will probably go to a "quad" scheduling system. The members of quadrant will meet in a single place and compete in various sports (basketball being the exception). As an example, four conference teams might meet in Denver and play three conference volleyball matches over a weekend. Similar ideas are being discussed for other sports.

Makes plenty of sense...for instance, the GWC could have like two volleyball tournaments (one up north, one down south) and get all their conference matches out of the way that way. I've seen historically, that this has been done in sports like VB, softball and tennis (looking through old media guides).

dgreco
July 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Read on another message board (and may have missed this in some of the releases and articles), but apparently the GWC is looking at innovative ways to schedule...

Here's what was posted...

Makes plenty of sense...for instance, the GWC could have like two volleyball tournaments (one up north, one down south) and get all their conference matches out of the way that way. I've seen historically, that this has been done in sports like VB, softball and tennis (looking through old media guides).

It is a great idea and a lot of conferences should do this. It will save a bunch of money. It will also make the matches exciting because it all becomes a mini-tourney.

I can see a lot of western schools doing this since a lot of them are more spread out.

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2008, 11:58 AM
They're buying time for SUU to wriggle out of their commitment to the Summit League, methinks. SUU joins the GWC, and NJIT bribes either the NEC, America East or MAAC to take them. NJIT is clearly buying time to get some solution. It looks like TX-PA is in a similar boat.

Seattle sounds like it's looking for bargaining position with the WCC, but quite frankly, I don't think Gonzaga is at all interested in more competition for fans. I think Seattle could very easily find a permanent home in the GWC.

As for Chicago State, they're just looking for a shelter while that dysfunctional program returns to some level of normalcy. But it may benefit them to stay in the GWC with teams that are (reasonably) close by in UND and USD.

It makes no sense for SUU to be the lone Utah outpost in the Summit when there's a viable conference for them with a travel partner (UVU) and a potential rivalry. If/when UVU adds football it makes even more sense.

I think UND/USD hope to drag NDSU/SDSU into the GWC as well eventually, too. But they'd need an autobid in football first - which, by the way, might be doable in 5-6 years. Again, this is contingent on UVU adding football (I think this is a really good bet) - or, less likely, TX-PA.

You wonder if WIU might also be convinced to jump, too. All Summit League teams, notice.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to post this. I think if that scenario was to play itself out I think you would see more support then what is already around for NDSU to look at FBS. That along with the messge board banter about the MVC moving as a conference to FBS would be whole heartedly supported by NDSU fans.

Bison77
July 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I'm not surprised by it - most ND fans are embarrassed by it. Even if you put a dress on pig it's still a pig. xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
July 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Every person in America will s**t out a bus before this ever happens.

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM

I agree xnodx

89rabbit
July 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM

No one will leave the Summit League (or any other "real" conference) to join the GWC. It is and will be a home for independents and move ups until such time as they get auto-bids to the NCAA say around 2020 if the current members stick it out (which they won't) excluding football of course. UND/USD would dearly love to follow NDSU/SDSU to the Summit.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/SPORTS0203/807110329/1002/sports

Great West era begins for USD
New all-sports league includes six schools

Mick Garry • [email protected] • July 11, 2008

VERMILLION - The new all-sports Great West Conference will be far-flung, but now it's no longer far-fetched.

On Thursday, the University of South Dakota officially announced that its athletic teams will join five other schools in the Great West, previously a football-only league.

USD, which left the North Central Conference and Division II this spring, will join North Dakota, Houston Baptist, the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Utah Valley State and Texas-Pan American beginning in 2009-10 for most of its sports. . . .

The school's interest in becoming a Summit League member - where South Dakota State and North Dakota State now compete - has not changed.
Great West football schools Cal Poly and UC Davis compete in the Big West in other sports. Southern Utah, also in the football Great West, is in the Summit League for other sports.

"Our letter of interest is still active (for the Summit League)," Nielsen said. "But as with any talk of conference affiliation, there's a great deal of uncertainty as to when, how, or if that would happen. At this point in the process, we think this is the best situation for our student-athletes and our program." . . . (read more)

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Here's something else that's interesting:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=81610&section=homepage

The league will be administered by Ed Grom, the Great West commissioner who also is an associate commissioner with The Summit League.

He said talk of expanding the Great West from football to all sports has been around for four years.

In May, however, officials from nine Division I independents met in Chicago to discuss a possible all-sports conference. That concept took off from there.

“This is a continuation of taking what we had and making it bigger and better,” Grom said.

This means that the Summit and GWC very well could have something up their sleeve about divvying up both conferences...

New Summit (all-sports)
UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
WIU
IU-PFW
IU-PUI
Oakland
*Chicago St.

New GWC (all sports)
Houston Baptist
TX-PA
SUU
UVU
ORU
Centenary
*Seattle

*possibles

This allows two far-flung conferences to become somewhat more normal a few years down the road. (NJIT is the glue to keep things together before they pay their way into the America East, the NEC, or MAAC.) Although the new GWC is still a bit far-flung, it's better than what it was.

Most importantly, it allows the Summit to keep things in football the way they are, with NDSU/SDSU/WIU in the MVC.

New Great West (Football):
Cal Poly (assoc.)
UC-Davis (assoc.)
Southern Utah
Utah Valley*
UND (assoc.)
USD (assoc.)

And this is okay with everyone since it's a strong football conference... now with an autobid.

If I'm a betting man, this is what I think things will look like down the line.

WestRiverBison
July 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM

xlolx Agreed.

NDB
July 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM
no one is leaving an established conference to join the GWC.

they have no men's auto bid, no ncaa money, and they likely never will.

a conference needs 6 core members to be in a conference together for consecutive five years. a core member is a member institution that has been active DI for eight straight years. the gwc currently has one core member, UTPA. if every school stuck it out, the gwc would be a 'real' conference in 2020+.

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Here's something else that's interesting:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=81610&section=homepage

This means that the Summit and GWC very well could have something up their sleeve about divvying up both conferences...

New Summit (all-sports)
UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
WIU
IU-PFW
IU-PUI
Oakland
*Chicago St.

New GWC (all sports)
Houston Baptist
TX-PA
SUU
UVU
ORU
Centenary
*Seattle

*possibles

This allows two far-flung conferences to become somewhat more normal a few years down the road. (NJIT is the glue to keep things together before they pay their way into the America East, the NEC, or MAAC.) Although the new GWC is still a bit far-flung, it's better than what it was.

Most importantly, it allows the Summit to keep things in football the way they are, with NDSU/SDSU/WIU in the MVC.

Cal Poly (assoc.)
UC-Davis (assoc.)
Southern Utah
Utah Valley*
UND (assoc.)
USD (assoc.)

And this is okay with everyone since it's a strong football conference... now with an autobid.

If I'm a betting man, this is what I think things will look like down the line.

I don't see NDSU and SDSU leaving the MVFC to move back to that. As I stated earlier I think it's more plausible that NDSU would back a move by the MVFC to go FBS before they would consider going back to the GWFC.

dbackjon
July 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I don't see NDSU and SDSU leaving the MVFC to move back to that. As I stated earlier I think it's more plausible that NDSU would back a move by the MVFC to go FBS before they would consider going back to the GWFC.

His post doesn't mention the xDSU's leaving the MVFC...

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2008, 12:33 PM
His post doesn't mention the xDSU's leaving the MVFC...
Wrong, read back to his post before. Besides "All Sports" means football too.

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Here's the quote from his original post on this.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM

With the Summit in effect administering the conference, it seems really unlikely that they would want to push NDSU/SDSU into the MVC in all sports...

And with the alignment I proposed just now, NDSU and SDSU and WIU remain in the MVFC for the forseeable future. The football landscape, for all practical purposes, remains the same, while in all other sports (including basketball) UND, USD, NDSU, SDSU would all be in the Summit League.

I may not have been clear in my last post that that's what I was saying.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM
For clarity:

New Summit (all-sports except football)
UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
WIU
IU-PFW
IU-PUI
Oakland
*Chicago St.

New GWC (all sports except football)
Houston Baptist
TX-PA
SUU
UVU
ORU
Centenary
*Seattle

*possibles

Cal Poly (assoc.)
UC-Davis (assoc.)
Southern Utah
Utah Valley*
UND (assoc.)
USD (assoc.)

* start-up

And the MVFC remains the same.

dbackjon
July 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Wrong again, MplsBisonBacker...;)

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Wrong again,...;)

Now there is no reason to go and throw around insults like that xsmhx

dbackjon
July 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Now there is no reason to go and throw around insults like that xsmhx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know he is a burden that should not be tarred on the rest of the Bison...

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I took it in stride your negative rep is on it's way xlolx

NDB
July 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
For clarity:

UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
WIU
IU-PFW
IU-PUI
Oakland
*Chicago St.

sounds great. kick out centenary and umkc. lose the mbb autobid & $$$......

Roger Thomas, is that you?

MplsBison
July 11th, 2008, 01:22 PM
UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
WIU
IU-PFW
IU-PUI
Oakland
*Chicago St.

This is what NDSU and SDSU want to have happen. In about 3 years, when UND and USD are up for a transfer, the Summit will extend invitations to UND and USD and both NDSU and SDSU will help vote them in.

NDB
July 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
MPLS you could not be more delusional.

i apologize for not responding to your rebuttal, but i'm putting you on ignore.

MplsBison
July 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM
You can't ignore the guaranteed future.

TheBisonator
July 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM
You can't ignore the guaranteed future.

You can't ignore the fact that you suffer from seven different mental illnesses.

BearsCountry
July 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
NDSU and SDSU need to just revamp their facilites and just flat out dominate the Summit League to get into MVC, which would be by far the best thing for them.

TheBisonator
July 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
NDSU and SDSU need to just revamp their facilites and just flat out dominate the Summit League to get into MVC, which would be by far the best thing for them.

You and I have been on the same page for a long time, BearsCountry. I agree 100%.

RabidRabbit
July 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I'll let the Bison speak for their facilities, but for Basketball, few arenas are much nicer than Frost.

Track, Rabbits need (tho we run wild anyway xoopsx )

Baseball, getting there, but need the weather to be better in spring more than anything.

Pool is 25 yds one way, 25 meters the other, so adequate.

Work out facilities, coach offices, separate training, under construction.

Football stadium, large, boring, simple structure. When Jacks start holding 15K + for the Nov. games, then may need to expand.

Equestrian, brand new facility.

Golf, two very nice home courses.

Tennis?? Playing at the Hillcrest courts? xconfusedx

89rabbit
July 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'll let the Bison speak for their facilities, but for Basketball, few arenas are much nicer than Frost.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&KEY=&ATCLID=925127

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics4/400/VV/VVMFRADAPPYRYHW.20070615191432.jpg
Outside Frost Arena

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics6/400/YD/YDYNSNBHTZZLTXY.20070615191140.jpg
WNIT game

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics7/400/AG/AGAUCWMIAYOMHBL.20070615191135.jpg
Notice the nice new scoreboard!

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Baseball, getting there, but need the weather to be better in spring more than anything.

Football stadium, large, boring, simple structure. When Jacks start holding 15K + for the Nov. games, then may need to expand.

For the Bison the FargoDome expansion with the BBall facility will resolve that issue. xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
July 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
NDSU's POS arena:

(It looks nice when the place is full, which is almost never. We only fill up half the place generally. 3,034 avg. attendance in a 6,500 seat arena)

http://www.gobison.com//pics28/800/UQ/UQGJOXAHMECOOMP.20061211164533.jpg

mizzoufan1
July 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM
NDSU's POS arena:

(It looks nice when the place is full, which is almost never. We only fill up half the place generally. 3,034 avg. attendance in a 6,500 seat arena)

Sounds like Mizzou arena...over 15,000 cap. and barely get 8000...

TwinTownBisonFan
July 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
NDSU's POS arena:

http://www.gobison.com//pics28/800/UQ/UQGJOXAHMECOOMP.20061211164533.jpg

that'll change with real conference rivals developing

and tourney eligibility.

as for everything else at NDSU... the facilities are D-I

Newman Outdoor is a palace for baseball
the track is D-I quality

it's really just that arena...

MplsBison
July 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
The Fargodome arena expansion is guaranteed.

No vote will be taken, the money is there.

After that, we really only have left:

new turf in the Dome
new soccer stadium
new football turf practice complex at Dacotah

NoCoDanny
July 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I hope we join for baseeball, they only have 5 from what I understand so it would be a good fit and being an independant suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

BearsCountry
July 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM

You guys have fine facilites, as you guys know for conference expansion you will have to keep up with the other conference and look what alot of the MVC schools are building.

JBB
July 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM

That is exactly right and if there is a long term plan thats it. UND and USD would be in the wings to take our spots in the Summit saving it from oblivion as well.

bincitysioux
July 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I hope we join for baseeball, they only have 5 from what I understand so it would be a good fit and being an independant suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

There were a couple different articles over the winter reporting that UND, USD, UNC, Idaho St., UVU, and Weber St. were forming a softball conference. I wonder if those three schools will simply become affiliates of the GWC for softball, and a perhaps a few for baseball too. Do any other Big Sky schools sponsor baseball without a conference? I believe Northern Arizona is building a baseball/softball complex and considering adding the sports aren't they?

dbackjon
July 12th, 2008, 12:27 PM
There were a couple different articles over the winter reporting that UND, USD, UNC, Idaho St., UVU, and Weber St. were forming a softball conference. I wonder if those three schools will simply become affiliates of the GWC for softball, and a perhaps a few for baseball too. Do any other Big Sky schools sponsor baseball without a conference? I believe Northern Arizona is building a baseball/softball complex and considering adding the sports aren't they?

NAU is adding softball only at this time in the next year or so.

filbert
July 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
From the GWC announcement release:

In addition to football, the Great West will sponsor men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, baseball, men's and women's golf, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track and field, women's soccer, softball, women's tennis and volleyball. the Great West will actively seek associate members for 2009-10 in several team sports to assist in scheduling if it makes economical sense.

pcola
July 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM
UND Press Release (http://www.fightingsioux.com/downloads1/42920.pdf?ATCLID=1507318&SPSID=58715&SPID=6409&DB_OEM_ID=13500)

Kelley said joining the Great West will allow UND to continue its outstanding athletic tradition.
“UND is very pleased to be joining the Great West Conference,” Kelley said. “This comes at an excellent time as we
transition our entire athletic program into Division I, a move that will benefit UND and our athletes and fans for generations
to come. This is the beginning of the next great chapter in the long and much admired UND athletic tradition.”
Faison said joining the Great West was UND’s next move in its five-year transition to NCAA Division I.
“Membership in the expanded Great West Conference represents an important next step for UND athletics in our
Division I transition,” Faison said. “I am particularly excited for our student-athletes, who now will have an opportunity
to compete for conference honors much earlier in the transition process than had been thought possible.”
Go Sioux!!!

pcola
July 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
FightingSioux.com has a new cover, at least temporarily, showing all of the sports at UND.

FightingSioux.com (http://www.fightingsioux.com/)