July 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Any Thoughts?

none.....

furman94
July 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Zilch

AppStFan76
July 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
There are too many Elon threads on this forum and I'm pi$$ed about it!!xmadx xlolx

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 03:42 PM
who does Richmond have for runningback and wide out to step up?

JMU DUUUKES
July 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Ya why the huge amount of Elon threads ? Relevant teams only please

AshevilleApp2
July 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Any Thoughts?

Good try. But the only way to squelch App postings is to beat us in the playoffs. Until then suffer along, or don't read what may offend you.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM

This is actually IMO one of the biggest OOC games not really being talked about.

I know that Richmond returns a hell of a good squad only losing Hightower and one or two others. They are an experienced team this year and everything on paper says UR or JMU should be the best in the CAA this year. I'm sure UMass will have something to say about that before the season is over.

RB Vaughn is the real deal, and I believe as good as Hightower. Hightower was a bruiser and Vaughn more a slasher style back. It will be interesting to see how he does as the main guy.

WRs are a young crop, with only JR Jordan Mitchell as the senior member at that position. I expect to see a lot from Kevin Grayson and Jonathan Mayfield, both 6'3" 200 lbs. WRs.

Richmond will kill you in the trenches. Speed can trump size (see Big10 vs. SEC), and App St. did this to both Michigan and Richmond last year. When UR beats JMU every other year (the away team seems to always win in the series lately), I feel it is because JMU plays into Richmond's style of play. You are not going to pound it out on this team very easily, so you must use an offense that mixes it up frequently to beat them. This is one big reason IMO for the Towson victory last year over UR.

Just my thoughts. Richmond will be a tough team to beat in '08, but I see at least one L on their home schedule. :D xsmiley_wix

ur2k
July 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Josh Vaughan will step up at RB, he was Hightower's back-up last year and will be a senior this year. Last year he had 109 carries for 737 yards and 9 TDs.
Justin Forte will back him up and is more of a small and quick change-of-pace guy.

At WR, we have the CAA offensive rookie of the year (Kevin Grayson)coming back and some promising freshmen.

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Any Thoughts?

I'll get back to you on that one.

paward
July 7th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Any Thoughts?

Yeah one! Can't Wait!

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'll get back to you on that one.

OK. OK. I have one. That game could be part I of the SoCon going 2-0 vs the CAA.;)
Or 0-2.:(

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
high scoring game

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 8th, 2008, 11:15 AM
High scoring? Unlikely I think. Richmond's D is great. The display that people saw last year in the semi finals was App St.'s great offense combined with a not-so-great defense. In other words, that game said more about ASU than it did about UR to me.

As far as this year, I know Elon has potential to be explosive, but I think this game will be more involved in the trenches and lead to longer drives, bringing the final tally closer to a 31-24 type score - neither high or low scoring.

Weather can change everything though... xoopsx

ElonPride
July 8th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Josh Vaughan will step up at RB, he was Hightower's back-up last year and will be a senior this year. Last year he had 109 carries for 737 yards and 9 TDs.
Justin Forte will back him up and is more of a small and quick change-of-pace guy.

At WR, we have the CAA offensive rookie of the year (Kevin Grayson)coming back and some promising freshmen.

I'm interested to see how both teams fair in this game. You guys have a new head coach, we have a new offensive co. Could be a sluggish start to the game.....

ericsaid
July 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Elon should have something around their facilities that says, "Make it Rain". All they do is pass the ball and there will be a score in the 40's.

ur2k
July 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Elon should have something around their facilities that says, "Make it Rain". All they do is pass the ball and there will be a score in the 40's.

It would be nice if it were windy that day.

Most important question to Elon fans - What should we expect for tailgating? And where should we plan on setting up shop? How early, etc.

Spiders05
July 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Considering Elon broke 40 just once in the last 8 games of last season, I don't see it happening against a D like UR that returns 9 starters. Now, UR breaking 40 against Elon could be a different story...

paward
July 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Considering Elon broke 40 just once in the last 8 games of last season, I don't see it happening against a D like UR that returns 9 starters. Now, UR breaking 40 against Elon could be a different story...

Welcome Spider05 to AGS. We need all the Spider fans we can get over here.

gophoenix
July 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM
It would be nice if it were windy that day.

Most important question to Elon fans - What should we expect for tailgating? And where should we plan on setting up shop? How early, etc.

Tailgating can be a pain. The Elon fans tailgate over in Harper Parking Lot, there's usually some space for opposing fans, and relatively pleasant. I'd try to get there. Other than that, the other lots are scattered all over campus. But lots of opposing fans use the firehouse field for tailgating too depending on how many you bring. Since it will be the first day on campus for freshman, and the weekend before classes, I am not sure what to expect for student turnout.

Tribe4SF
July 9th, 2008, 07:54 AM

This is an interesting matchup. W&M was able to throw deep on UR in the season finale last year, with Elliott Mack going over 200 receiving. Elon will certainly try a similar attack, as UR's secondary gets an early test. I like the Spiders in this, but it should be close.

ElonPride
July 9th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Elon managed 38+ points in 6 games last season (which isn't bad seeing that most predicted Elon to finish next to last in the conference):

59 v. WV Weslyan (why did we play that game?)
42 v. Liberty
38 v. WCU
38 v. UTC
49 v. Furman
38 v. Stoney Brook

Both teams had 1 common game last season....Wofford. Elon was able to pull out a 24-13 win, and UR pulled out the win in the playoffs 21-10.

Offensive comparison v. Wofford:
Elon Total Offensive Yards: 442
Turnovers: 0

UR Total Offensive Yards: 309
Turnovers: 2

Defensive Comparison:
Wofford Total offensive yards v Elon: 400 (351 Rushing) - 4 Turnovers
Wofford Total offensive yards v UR: 250 (169 rushing) - 3 Turnovers

Needless to say, I like this game and the aggressive early scheduling by the coaches (formerly Clawson for UR).

ur2k
July 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Elon managed 38+ points in 6 games last season (which isn't bad seeing that most predicted Elon to finish next to last in the conference):

42 v. Liberty
38 v. WCU
38 v. UTC
49 v. Furman
38 v. Stoney Brook

Both teams had 1 common game last season....Wofford. Elon was able to pull out a 24-13 win, and UR pulled out the win in the playoffs 21-10.

Offensive comparison v. Wofford:
Elon Total Offensive Yards: 442
Turnovers: 0

UR Total Offensive Yards: 309
Turnovers: 2

Defensive Comparison:
Wofford Total offensive yards v Elon: 400 (351 Rushing) - 4 Turnovers
Wofford Total offensive yards v UR: 250 (169 rushing) - 3 Turnovers

Needless to say, I like this game and the aggressive early scheduling by the coaches (formerly Clawson for UR).

Other common opponent was Stony Brook. Spiders won 42-0 you won 38-23.

bostonspider
July 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Was the Elon - Wofford game at Elon or at Wofford?? Just for comparison sakes as the UR-Wofford game was in South Carolina.

AshevilleApp2
July 9th, 2008, 08:59 AM

I think you had a third common opponent as well.

ElonPride
July 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Well......Apparently I can't read xsmiley_wix

We both also played App. Elon lost 49-32, UR lost 55-35.

Both Elon and UR were in the game v App until the 4th, then App seemed to run away (Elon was down 21-17 after 3, UR was down 42-35 after 3).

ElonPride
July 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Was the Elon - Wofford game at Elon or at Wofford?? Just for comparison sakes as the UR-Wofford game was in South Carolina.

The Elon/Wofford game was in South Carolina.

Tribe4SF
July 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM

xlolx They'd both like to forget that!xnodx

Similar scores in both ASU games, but Elon got to play them without Armanti. No question that UR saw ASU at their best.

ur2k
July 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=Tribe4SF;1011651]xlolx They'd both like to forget that!xnodx QUOTE]

Yup

xwhistlex

paward
July 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM
The comparison to last years teams is not worth a hill of beans. There are too many intangibles to factor in this year. I like this match up because it give both teams a gage to measure where each is as a program with a new Head Coach and New Offensive Coordinator. I would love to win this game but if we do not I feel we still can rebound and make the playoffs if do well in the conference. Elon will be a great challenge to welcome in our coaching staff. I am not putting our whole season on this game but the one two weeks later, CAA opener can be a back breaker.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Good stats, but 3 out of that 6 shouldn't count in a serious discussion.

42 v. Liberty
38 v. WCU
38 v. UTC
49 v. Furman
38 v. Stoney Brook

SoCon48
July 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM

xnodx xnodx xnodx

SoCon48
July 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
xlolx They'd both like to forget that!xnodx

Similar scores in both ASU games, but Elon got to play them without Armanti. No question that UR saw ASU at their best.

Good point. It could have been funny by halftime.

ElonPride
July 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Good stats, but 3 out of that 6 shouldn't count in a serious discussion.

42 v. Liberty
38 v. WCU
38 v. UTC
49 v. Furman
38 v. Stoney Brook

Liberty and SB are fairly good teams. Why shouldn't they count in serious discussion?xeyebrowx Liberty lost to an FBS team(granted a weak one) by 1 point and pretty much tore up the Big South (averaging nearly 48 ppg in conference play).

gophoenix
July 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM
The comparison to last years teams is not worth a hill of beans. There are too many intangibles to factor in this year. I like this match up because it give both teams a gage to measure where each is as a program with a new Head Coach and New Offensive Coordinator. I would love to win this game but if we do not I feel we still can rebound and make the playoffs if do well in the conference. Elon will be a great challenge to welcome in our coaching staff. I am not putting our whole season on this game but the one two weeks later, CAA opener can be a back breaker.

Exactly.

I love the number of App fans butting into an Elon thread. Makes me laugh xlolx

Cue the sarcastic and smack responses from App guys in 3... 2... 1...

AshevilleApp2
July 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Welcome Spider05 to AGS. We need all the Spider fans we can get over here.

Welcome Spider05!

There I go, cutting in again. :p

gophoenix
July 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Welcome Spider05!

There I go, cutting in again. :p

xlolx

SoCon48
July 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Exactly.

Bunch of us are on this board.

More than the number of Elon'ers that chip in on ASU threads. We apologize, but will probably keep on just like some Elon'ers butt in on App Emmy and App-LSU threads, etc..xeyebrowx
Makes me laugh.;)

gophoenix
July 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Bunch of us are on this board.

More than the number of Elon'ers that chip in on ASU threads. We apologize, but will probably keep on just like some Elon'ers butt in on App Emmy and App-LSU threads, etc..xeyebrowx
Makes me laugh.;)

That's good. It's all entertainment value anyway. :D

Spiders05
July 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Well......Apparently I can't read xsmiley_wix

We both also played App. Elon lost 49-32, UR lost 55-35.

Both Elon and UR were in the game v App until the 4th, then App seemed to run away (Elon was down 21-17 after 3, UR was down 42-35 after 3).

Take a look at who played QB for App against Elon and then see who played against UR -- that's the big difference. If you're going to compare scores against common opponents (which I'm not a huge fan of doing), UR looks much stronger on paper since they played against an App St. led Edwards, blew out Stony Brook and had a similar score against Wofford.

ElonPride
July 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Take a look at who played QB for App against Elon and then see who played against UR -- that's the big difference. If you're going to compare scores against common opponents (which I'm not a huge fan of doing), UR looks much stronger on paper since they played against an App St. led Edwards, blew out Stony Brook and had a similar score against Wofford.

Armanti is good, but Trey Elder was no joke.....I'm pretty sure most App fans would agree.

AshevilleApp2
July 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Armanti is good, but Trey Elder was no joke.....I'm pretty sure most App fans would agree.

Agreed. I think we had a legitimate shot at winning the NC with Elder playing.

gophoenix
July 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM

That's fair.

I don't like comparing scores anyway. App, though not with Edwards, was playing right after their first loss since the Michigan game. I would like to say that they were a bit more pumped to play our game than any normal game (not because it was us but because they wanted to avenge the loss). But who knows if that is true. Wofford is a fair comparison. And Stony Brook was when we were so banged up on a not so deep team and the team was left going through the motions since losing the chance for a conference title the week before.

Not excuses, but it just shows slight differences that can affect the outcome and comparison of games, easily.

SoCon48
July 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM

He would have started and excelled on some teams..not SoCon Champs, though. You're right, he's far from a joke, but no where near an Armanti or a Ritchie Willimans in this style O.

AE is a once in a lifetime find. Trey was a good leader and would have made a great pocket passer. Trouble is, we ran a spread, he was only minimally suited for it and made up for it to an extent with his leadership and intelligence. On the App squad under any savvy coach, Trey was a solid back up.
There's probably no another QB in college football as quick as Aramanti.

All things being the same, Armanti would have made the game a joke.

SoCon48
July 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Agreed. I think we had a legitimate shot at winning the NC with Elder playing.

I'd say two rounds at most and we would have had to find a way to win without relying on the spread.

Our old offenses, pre-Richie and pre-Armanti, Trey would have been as good as any we've had.

AshevilleApp2
July 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'd say two rounds at most and we would have had to find a way to win without relying on the spread.

Our old offenses, pre-Richie and pre-Armanti, Trey would have been as good as any we've had.

Maybe so. Anyway it looks like Elon and Richmond should be a great game. Go Elon!

SoCon48
July 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM
That's fair.

I don't like comparing scores anyway. App, though not with Edwards, was playing right after their first loss since the Michigan game. I would like to say that they were a bit more pumped to play our game than any normal game (not because it was us but because they wanted to avenge the loss). But who knows if that is true. Wofford is a fair comparison. And Stony Brook was when we were so banged up on a not so deep team and the team was left going through the motions since losing the chance for a conference title the week before.

Not excuses, but it just shows slight differences that can affect the outcome and comparison of games, easily.

I would like to say that they were a bit more pumped to play our game than any normal game

Pumped but less so than about 9 games out of our whole season. More than L-R, more than Woof (part of why we lost it) , more than Chatt. But that's about it. Some games we started out flat but got pumped for the duration after a big play of TO. GSU never let us get pumped, they had us by the throat all day.
Now the fans were pumped every game!

SoCon48
July 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Maybe so. Anyway it looks like Elon and Richmond should be a great game. Go Elon!

It should be a great game for Elon unless Richmond can find some way to get to Riddle. Hurrying him means zilch. He stays there and takes the sack or grounds it rather than throw a risky one. Can't just get o him once in a while either. He'll make up for it on the next play...and then some.
Best two receivers around, too.
The game being at at Elon..I'd say Elon by 2 to 3 full TD's. Unless the TO bug hits. Maybe more.

ElonPride
July 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I would like to say that they were a bit more pumped to play our game than any normal game

Pumped but less so than about 9 games out of our whole season. More than L-R, more than Woof (part of why we lost it) , more than Chatt. But that's about it. Some games we started out flat but got pumped for the duration after a big play of TO. GSU never let us get pumped, they had us by the throat all day.
Now the fans were pumped every game!

No offense, but App lost to Wofford b/c Wofford was GOOD! There are not many teams that could walk out with a win at Montana in the playoffs.

........and did I see a post from an App fan in this thread that said "Go Elon?" xsmiley_wix

gophoenix
July 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM
It should be a great game for Elon unless Richmond can find some way to get to Riddle. Hurrying him means zilch. He stays there and takes the sack or grounds it rather than throw a risky one. Can't just get o him once in a while either. He'll make up for it on the next play...and then some.
The game being at at Elon..I'd say Elon by 2 to 3 full TD's. Unless the TO bug hits. Maybe more.

Just a few comments. I am not making a prediction. I would say you're assessment of Riddle is right. The Richmond game, for us to have a chance depends, on more of our D than the O. As we saw through the season last year, we can score and do it well when focused. But when playing those games when we gun it to outscore, rather than beat our opponent, it'll burn us if the D can't make stops or the other other offense works around the D's weaknesses. And good coaches will find those defensive holes on our team and use it well, The Citadel was a prime example of that of exploiting the D more than stopping the O. And Furman was a prime example of losing a sprint of exploding points.

Maybe or maybe not. The first half was a tough contest without a doubt, and I'm not sure Armanti would have changed much of that. It was a tough, grind it out game with both teams covering everything well. The second half was a clear back and forth type of contest where your D made the plays to give you the win (ie the one or two interceptions for TDs) and your special teams played poorly to keep us in it more than our offense (giving up two big returns for TDs). It's hard to say Armanti would have changed anything, and it's hard to say he wouldn't have blown it wide open either.

BTW, I think I sat directly behind you in that game.

SoCon48
July 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
No offense, but App lost to Wofford b/c Wofford was GOOD! There are not many teams that could walk out with a win at Montana in the playoffs.

........and did I see a post from an App fan in this thread that said "Go Elon?" xsmiley_wix

Did I say anything different?? What I was saying was that we were not up for that game like we should have been. Had we been sky high, we still might have had our butts kicked. Wofford was good, but were they bwetter than Michigan, Richmond, EWU, James Madison, etc etc.

The main problem with our play against Wofford was their overall team speed, match ups at certain positions, and our being still beaten up injury wise.

In fact, we seldom are up for Wofford like we should be. Furman, yes, GSU, yes, WCU, always, any FBS, yes, Citadel, yes. Most OOC I-AA's, yes.

As to "go Elon," From me it's "go any SoCon" vs an OOC FCS or an FBS unless it would cause my team to lose a play-off spot. This could easily happen at season's end. We all know we aren't going to get more than two spots in the play-offs unless it's a play-in for a third. (does the play-in start this season or next).
I wouldn't be surprised if the CAA gets 5 plus the play-in.xeyebrowx

So go Elon vs Richmond.xbowx

SoCon48
July 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Just a few comments. I am not making a prediction. I would say you're assessment of Riddle is right. The Richmond game, for us to have a chance depends, on more of our D than the O. As we saw through the season last year, we can score and do it well when focused. But when playing those games when we gun it to outscore, rather than beat our opponent, it'll burn us if the D can't make stops or the other other offense works around the D's weaknesses. And good coaches will find those defensive holes on our team and use it well, The Citadel was a prime example of that of exploiting the D more than stopping the O. And Furman was a prime example of losing a sprint of exploding points.

Maybe or maybe not. The first half was a tough contest without a doubt, and I'm not sure Armanti would have changed much of that. It was a tough, grind it out game with both teams covering everything well. The second half was a clear back and forth type of contest where your D made the plays to give you the win (ie the one or two interceptions for TDs) and your special teams played poorly to keep us in it more than our offense (giving up two big returns for TDs). It's hard to say Armanti would have changed anything, and it's hard to say he wouldn't have blown it wide open either.

BTW, I think I sat directly behind you in that game.

We don't grind it out when Armanti is in. We either move it in huge chunks and score or we sputter or TO. Regardless, the game would have been a lot different. Elon was not one of the teams who could have gotten to him last year. He loves for most teams to really come after him.
Those committments by the defense is what the spread is all about with a smaller quick QB like AE running it.
IMOP, had Elon come after Trey 2 out of every 3 plays all day, Trey and KR would have burned the Elon defense some, but in the end, Elon could have won it. Remember, though the running game from the RB position was almost dead. KR had 3 cracked ribs. Wearing a flak jacket underneath. Thus, had Elon just ignored KR most plays and gone after Trey aggerssively enough...Elon could have pulled it out.

ElonPride
July 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Did I say anything different??

Acutally you did say something different. You said that was "part of the reason why you lost."

But believe it or not, this thread isn't about you. It's about Elon v Richmond.

By the way, thanks for pulling for us and thanks to AshvilleApp for saying "Go Elon."

Spiders05
July 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM

I'm really curious to see your rationale behind this. As for getting to the QB, you've got a new head coach that was the D coordinator for UVA being handed a D-line with two guys that are considered to be in the top 10 at their position in FCS at the bookends, and two very young guys at the DT positions who looked very good last year (one started every game despite being a freshman and the other could be just as good, if not better). Also, UR has a strong tradition of quality linebackers. Just so happens that our LB's are all returning starters and did a nice job of getting to the QB last year.

UR plays some of the best passers in the country every Saturday in conference play, so Riddle won't be anything we haven't seen. Our talented, yet young DBs will have to come ready to play though, and that is a potential concern.

gophoenix
July 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM
UR plays some of the best passers in the country every Saturday in conference play, so Riddle won't be anything we haven't seen. Our talented, yet young DBs will have to come ready to play though, and that is a potential concern.

In the order of best passer in the CAA:
Gave up 56 points to Delaware
no game against UMass
gave up 38 the New Hampshire
gave up 20 to William & Mary
no game against Hofstra
gave up 23 to Towson

These are of the QBs in the CAA who pass for more than 150 yards per game. I would hardly call that playing some of the best week in and out. Just simply not the case. Heck, you didn't even play 2 of the top 5 in your own conference.

You neither played a QB last year who attempts as much as Riddle, nor completes as much as Riddle or averages as much as Riddle.

But with that said, this is going to boil down to how the younger players on both sides of the ball have matured or mature through this game.

SoCon48
July 11th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I'm really curious to see your rationale behind this. As for getting to the QB, you've got a new head coach that was the D coordinator for UVA being handed a D-line with two guys that are considered to be in the top 10 at their position in FCS at the bookends, and two very young guys at the DT positions who looked very good last year (one started every game despite being a freshman and the other could be just as good, if not better). Also, UR has a strong tradition of quality linebackers. Just so happens that our LB's are all returning starters and did a nice job of getting to the QB last year.

Spider, I don't dipute anything you stated. All I know is that Riddle, depite Elon showing a mediocre, at best, running game last year, and with two of the best receivers in the nation, is totally unstoppable both on short, medium, and long passes if you can't get to him consistently. Period. He has no weaknesses per se. You won't rattle him. He has much too much confidence in himself for that. I know one of his former teachers and two of his former coaches from high school. He isn't terribly quick, but hasn't needed to be yet. He was a true freshman last year and still gave ASU a hell of a much tougher game than Richmond did.
That's all I have to relate to. I put no stock, much to GP's chagrin, in what they did over StonyBrook, Liberty, or WV Wesleyan. But I put a great deal in what they did vs App, GSU, Wofford, Furman, and Citadel. Under normal circumstances, you aren't going to stop Riddle. Just have to put up more than Elon rather than trying to shut them down.

I think Elon will put up 30 to 40 on Richmond. All Richmond has to do is put up more than that. Can they?

SoCon48
July 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Elon Pride, you said:
Acutally you did say something different. You said that was "part of the reason why you lost

Picky picky picky. It was definitely part of why we lost. No excuse but a reason. The nitty gritty of it is that we shouldn't have lost to Wofford that day for any reason. Maybe we should have lost to EWU or JMU. Woff took us out of our game and had the talent to keep us out. Period. Other factors helped them and hurt us.

But believe it or not, this thread isn't about you. It's about Elon v Richmond.

No s---, Sherlock. Neither was the Emmy thread about you. Nor many of the others you choose to participate in. Open forum.

By the way, thanks for pulling for us and thanks to AshvilleApp for saying "Go Elon."

As I stated, I always pull for the SoCon team unless there are over riding factors.

Spiders05
July 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
In the order of best passer in the CAA:
Gave up 56 points to Delaware
no game against UMass
gave up 38 the New Hampshire
gave up 20 to William & Mary
no game against Hofstra
gave up 23 to Towson

We went to 5OTs against UD and a QB that was taken in the first 20 picks of the draft (and he had a great RB to help him out). NH had Ricky Santos, a four year (maybe three) starter who rewrote the history books and won the Walter Payton award as a junior.

Sure, Riddle puts up huge numbers, but when you're throwing for 46 passes per game, it's kind of hard not to. Looking at his pass efficiency, which I think is a better indicator of passing prowess, Riddle had a very respectable 146 passer rating. While QBs in the CAA that UR played may not have passed for as many yards, had as many attempts, etc. etc., there were three QBs that had higher passer ratings than Riddle, two of which UR played against. There were two more guys that had efficiency ratios higher than 141, both of which UR played, so in total, there were five guys at Riddle's passing efficiency level or higher, UR played four of them and beat all four of them.'

None of this says that UR is automatically going to beat Elon or that we'll be able to stop Riddle. It simply says that he's not going to be able to do anything that we haven't already seen from QBs that we see week in, week out in our conference schedule.

You neither played a QB last year who attempts as much as Riddle, nor completes as much as Riddle or averages as much as Riddle.

You're 2/3 correct. We didn't play against a QB who attempted as much or completed as much, but we did play four QBs (of the five in our conference) who had better yards/attempt than Riddle and we beat all four of them). It was interesting looking at your yards/catch last season. Your opponents actually had more yards/completion than you did. In fact, eight QBs in the CAA had a higher yards/competition than Riddle.

gophoenix
July 11th, 2008, 09:04 AM
We went to 5OTs against UD and a QB that was taken in the first 20 picks of the draft (and he had a great RB to help him out). NH had Ricky Santos, a four year (maybe three) starter who rewrote the history books and won the Walter Payton award as a junior.

Sure, Riddle puts up huge numbers, but when you're throwing for 46 passes per game, it's kind of hard not to. Looking at his pass efficiency, which I think is a better indicator of passing prowess, Riddle had a very respectable 146 passer rating. While QBs in the CAA that UR played may not have passed for as many yards, had as many attempts, etc. etc., there were three QBs that had higher passer ratings than Riddle, two of which UR played against. There were two more guys that had efficiency ratios higher than 141, both of which UR played, so in total, there were five guys at Riddle's passing efficiency level or higher, UR played four of them and beat all four of them.'

None of this says that UR is automatically going to beat Elon or that we'll be able to stop Riddle. It simply says that he's not going to be able to do anything that we haven't already seen from QBs that we see week in, week out in our conference schedule.

You're 2/3 correct. We didn't play against a QB who attempted as much or completed as much, but we did play four QBs (of the five in our conference) who had better yards/attempt than Riddle and we beat all four of them). It was interesting looking at your yards/catch last season. Your opponents actually had more yards/completion than you did. In fact, eight QBs in the CAA had a higher yards/competition than Riddle.

Lovely thing about stats, you can paint whatever picture you want with them, as we both did.

gophoenix
July 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I put no stock, much to GP's chagrin, in what they did over StonyBrook, Liberty, or WV Wesleyan.

I'll buy that on WVWU and Stony Brook. WVW because of the type of team they are and Stony Brook because starters didn't play the second half. Liberty, I'll hold a bit higher after the game they gave W&M and Toledo.

But what you say is fair.

SoCon48
July 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM

Yeah, I know, I know, the Phoenix keep telling me I, as an App fan have no place in this thread...no dog in the fight.

And sure this is not apples to apples, oranges to oranges but just a FWIW:

Delaware's Flacco and Elon's Riddle vs ASU:

Flacco......48-23-0..........334 yds.........1 TD........42 longest......3 sacks

Riddle........51-32-2.........307 yds.........2 TD.......25 longest......5 sacks

As mentioned, Riddle was supposed to be a still wet behind the ears true freshman and Flacco was playing in a championship game getting ready for his next career move to the next level.

Unless Riddle has a sophomore slump, you'll see an even better Riddle and as good a passer as you've seen in the CAA. Didn't say, best QB, mind you, but at least as good of a passer. This guy, too, if nothing happens, will be playing on Sundays in a few years.
I'm just hoping he has a baaaaad hangover when he plays App.;)

SoCon48
July 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Lovely thing about stats, you can paint whatever picture you want with them, as we both did.

But if one weeds out as many variables as possible, and no twisting, rationalization is done, stats can paint a pretty accurate picure.

When Adrian Peterson was running rampant through the SoCon, every team knew that holding him to under 100 yds no matter the defense, no matter the conditions was nearly impossible.

Riddle is likely going to get his yards and likely his TD's vs most opponents.
A, let's put it like this, I wouldn't bet anyone against him putting up 275 -300+ yards on any team unless he's hurt or Elon brings in a stable of blue chip RB's to take the heat off the passing game.xrulesx

Spiders05
July 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
This guy, too, if nothing happens, will be playing on Sundays in a few years.

At 6-0, that's pretty unlikely even if he's talented enough.

SoCon48
July 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
It's pretty unlikely any of our FCS QB's will anyway given the politics of the matter and the type athlete we have to go after. I'd be surprised if Riddle isn't given a legit shot by some NFL team, though. There are exceptions to every rule. If he matures, improves his foot speed and overall game and Elon continues to rise to the top of the SoCon and the FCS, he'll have as good a chance as anyone in the FCS. IMOP!
Cuff isn't home free yet is he? He had a good draft spot and all that, but......he still has his work cut out to make the final roster. i have confidence he will, but it's not a done deal.

ericsaid
July 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
At 6-0, that's pretty unlikely even if he's talented enough.

Drew Brees, Michael Vick. Both 6-0. Both successful(relatively) NFL QB's

gophoenix
July 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
But if one weeds out as many variables as possible, and no twisting, rationalization is done, stats can paint a pretty accurate picure.

When Adrian Peterson was running rampant through the SoCon, every team knew that holding him to under 100 yds no matter the defense, no matter the conditions was nearly impossible.

Riddle is likely going to get his yards and likely his TD's vs most opponents.
A, let's put it like this, I wouldn't bet anyone against him putting up 275 -300+ yards on any team unless he's hurt or Elon brings in a stable of blue chip RB's to take the heat off the passing game.xrulesx

I hope one of our RBs step up this year. The guy from fayatteville is supposed to be good. But, unless our line learns to block for a true running game (instead of shovel passes) or unless we get a real running game of some sort, we'll never be able to truly turn the corner. You're right on this one. We need some sort of running plan to keep defenses honest, or at least guessing.

OTOH, I don't think Riddle has the size to be an NFL QB, not matter how good he is at Elon. But, I've been wrong before.

ElonPride
July 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I hope one of our RBs step up this year. The guy from fayatteville is supposed to be good. But, unless our line learns to block for a true running game (instead of shovel passes) or unless we get a real running game of some sort, we'll never be able to truly turn the corner. You're right on this one. We need some sort of running plan to keep defenses honest, or at least guessing.

OTOH, I don't think Riddle has the size to be an NFL QB, not matter how good he is at Elon. But, I've been wrong before.

Everyone said that about Nkang. He ended up setting a Jaguars franchise record for tackles on special teams and earned team ROY honors. xsmiley_wix

Also, Jeff Garcia and David Garrard are the same height as Riddle.

SoCon48
July 11th, 2008, 03:56 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I've seen better QB's in the SoCon, but I've never seen a true freshman in the SoCon more consistent as a passer.
If he just improves a small amount each year..by the time he's a senior, he may change some minds. He can take a lick, too.
There's always the CFL.

SoCon48
July 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
10 Smith, Troy QB ACT 6'0" 225 7/20/1984 2 Ohio State Balti. Ravens

DTSpider
July 11th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Wow, spend a few days away from the board and there's a huge Richmond thread...

I don't know a lot about Elon other than they have a great QB and 2 good wideouts. How is there offensive & defensive line shaping up?

I presonally think that UR will have 2 of the better lines in the CAA, and FCS. The O-Line has anchors in Matt McCracken (so far consensus pre-season AA) and Tim Silver has some AA mention. Will have 4 starters returning from a good unit froma year-ago. If Elon's d-line can't get a good push expect a lot of time chewing drives to keep their QB off the field.

UR's d-line should also be very solid as previously mentioned. Not enough to stop Riddle, but I'd have to imagine enough to slow him down some.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I am interested in hearing about Elon line play also. What about the secondary? We clearly don't throw the ball like Elon can ... but we can toss it around the yard from time to time also.

This is a nice thread for 7 weeks from the game! xthumbsupx

paward
July 11th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Like I said earlier, I can not wait for this matchup and this thread is making me itch all the more. We also have as a head coach, a defensive coach by all accounts. I am sure he is looking to see how we can slow down this well oiled machine. DT and Bighouse glad you all can join in on this one. We have not hear that much for "We Spiders". Keep the chatter going we may even win the blog battle if nothing else. One thing is going to happen someone will win and someone will loose. However, from the sound of it noone will lay down in this one.

phoenix3
July 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I don't mind saying, UR scares me. They will be the best balanced attack we have seen in the last year. (Armanti didn't play against us last year). Our D will have to play their best game to keep the Spiders under 450 yards of offense. We are a one dimensional team. A darned good dimension, but never the less, one. I can't wait for the game, but I'm nervous.

phoenix3
July 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I am interested in hearing about Elon line play also. What about the secondary? We clearly don't throw the ball like Elon can ... but we can toss it around the yard from time to time also.

This is a nice thread for 7 weeks from the game! xthumbsupx

If you're talking about O line, they're pretty good. Good size and quick feet. Should be noticably improved from last year. D line should be better than last year overall for 2 reasons. 1) we didn't lose anyone 2) (I know I'm going to get blasted for this one) we should be starting the season with few if any injuries. Our secondary is actually reasonably good as well. A couple of high ankle sprains, a bad shoulder injury and a broken arm hurt the secondary toward the end of last year. Only one loss from the D backfield from last year.

SoCon48
July 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I don't mind saying, UR scares me. They will be the best balanced attack we have seen in the last year. (Armanti didn't play against us last year). Our D will have to play their best game to keep the Spiders under 450 yards of offense. We are a one dimensional team. A darned good dimension, but never the less, one. I can't wait for the game, but I'm nervous.

I don't claim to know..but I'd seriously doubt that Lembo neglected the needs for the running game and defense during the recruiting season.
Expect improvement in those regards.

phoenix3
July 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I don't claim to know..but I'd seriously doubt that Lembo neglected the needs for the running game and defense during the recruiting season.
Expect improvement in those regards.

We have a couple of gaurdedly (Bushism) impressive new frosh for the backfield. BUT, as of yet they are an unknown quantity. You know, chickens/hatching, etc...

gophoenix
July 12th, 2008, 09:43 PM
We have a couple of gaurdedly (Bushism) impressive new frosh for the backfield. BUT, as of yet they are an unknown quantity. You know, chickens/hatching, etc...

Yeah, we can speculate all we want to about them, until we start hearing some reports from camp about them, we just have to assume we'll start what we had last year.

This Richmond matchup scares me too. And it is also worrisome that we lost our OC and Wide Receivers coach.

phoenix3
July 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Not to sound cocky here but it won't be your LB's, DT's or safeties that get to our QB. If you are successful at getting to Riddle, it will have to be your DE's.

phoenix3
July 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM

If that were only true. He tried to force a pass in the 4thQ against App which wound up in a TD for you. Hopefully, He will be better at this in '08. He made that same mistake in the Furman (2x), Citadel (1x at least), and USF (2x) games. He is, however, a cool customer in the pocket. Not rattled by much.

phoenix3
July 12th, 2008, 10:17 PM
He would have started and excelled on some teams..not SoCon Champs, though. You're right, he's far from a joke, but no where near an Armanti or a Ritchie Willimans in this style O.

AE is a once in a lifetime find. Trey was a good leader and would have made a great pocket passer. Trouble is, we ran a spread, he was only minimally suited for it and made up for it to an extent with his leadership and intelligence. On the App squad under any savvy coach, Trey was a solid back up.
There's probably no another QB in college football as quick as Aramanti.

Someone in the know expressed that Elon actually expected Armanti to start that game. That was when Coach Moore was playing chess with Armanti's injury. We prepared for the spread with Armanti. Not saying that the outcome would've been different, but I don't really know that it would've been a joke.

Thanks for your patience on all of my posts. I'm just catching up.

phoenix3
July 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Exactly.

Yeeesh, get over it! So far the comments from the Apps are pretty interesting & intelligent.

gophoenix
July 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Yeeesh, get over it! So far the comments from the Apps are pretty interesting & intelligent.

Uhm, it was tongue in cheek jest..... good grief. xrolleyesx

URMite
July 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Not to sound cocky here but it won't be your LB's, DT's or safeties that get to our QB. If you are successful at getting to Riddle, it will have to be your DE's.

I agree about the DTs unless the pocket completely collapses which I don't expect. And I wouldn't expect it from the DBs either, but a couple of our LBs seem to have a much better ability at homing in on pocket passers than staying in coverage. I'm hoping we start our top to DEs. Last year it seemed we played 1+3 together with 2+4 in relief.

I'm not sure anyone will get to him consistently, but how is he at throwing while scrambling toward the sideline? Last year that seemed our best pass defense. Except against AE, then it just opened up running lanesxnonono2x.

I also still have some concern about our new coach in our first game. As a defensive coach, will he allow our offensive scheme to continue to get more balanced (a good new receiving corps) or have his own ideas? Will any defensive changes be ready for the first game? or will he need to see some game situations before blending his vision with our personnel? Overall I think he can be a great coach, I just hope he hits the ground running. I couldn't tell much from the spring game with about a dozen starters with minor injuries.

Last year 30-35 did seem the breaking point. Holding an opponent under 30 was usually enough, and scoring over 35 was too. We are a very solid defensive team but you really seem to new a great offensive team to win consistently in FCS, so I'm looking for steady improvement in that area.

SoCon48
July 13th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I'm not sure anyone will get to him consistently, but how is he at throwing while scrambling toward the sideline? Last year that seemed our best pass defense. Except against AE, then it just opened up running lanes.

Scott isn't a pure pocket passer in the classic sense of the word. He can throw on the run almost as well as when setup and planted.

Passing on the run, whether planned or scrambling: scale of 1-10:

When compared to all QB's in the conference and more or less all on our level...I'd estimate a 9.0/9.5

Compared to freshman QB's across the board: I'd say 12.0

Coming from a non Elon fan.

gophoenix
July 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I agree about the DTs unless the pocket completely collapses which I don't expect. And I wouldn't expect it from the DBs either, but a couple of our LBs seem to have a much better ability at homing in on pocket passers than staying in coverage. I'm hoping we start our top to DEs. Last year it seemed we played 1+3 together with 2+4 in relief.

I'm not sure anyone will get to him consistently, but how is he at throwing while scrambling toward the sideline? Last year that seemed our best pass defense. Except against AE, then it just opened up running lanesxnonono2x.

I also still have some concern about our new coach in our first game. As a defensive coach, will he allow our offensive scheme to continue to get more balanced (a good new receiving corps) or have his own ideas? Will any defensive changes be ready for the first game? or will he need to see some game situations before blending his vision with our personnel? Overall I think he can be a great coach, I just hope he hits the ground running. I couldn't tell much from the spring game with about a dozen starters with minor injuries.

Last year 30-35 did seem the breaking point. Holding an opponent under 30 was usually enough, and scoring over 35 was too. We are a very solid defensive team but you really seem to new a great offensive team to win consistently in FCS, so I'm looking for steady improvement in that area.

That's one way he gets so many passing attempts and completions per game. When the LBs come out of coverage and scramble him, then he'll just nickel and dime you to death on the short passes because someone will be open or mismatched. Typically, you'd see 3 or 4 receivers in. On a scramble a blocking RB will go into motion as well as the TE. You don't need 10+ yards passes when constant short gains will keep getting the first downs. And that's basically how we'll play.

Based on last year, I think this game is going to be one of those high scoring sprint type of games. It could just come down to who scores last wins.

Eight Legger
July 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I can't imagine many games in which our D is so incapable of stopping the other team that the game will be decided by who has the ball last. If that happens even once, we are in for a long year.

ericsaid
July 13th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure anyone will get to him consistently, but how is he at throwing while scrambling toward the sideline? Last year that seemed our best pass defense. Except against AE, then it just opened up running lanes.

Scott isn't a pure pocket passer in the classic sense of the word. He can throw on the run almost as well as when setup and planted.

Passing on the run, whether planned or scrambling: scale of 1-10:

When compared to all QB's in the conference and more or less all on our level...I'd estimate a 9.0/9.5

Compared to freshman QB's across the board: I'd say 12.0

Coming from a non Elon fan.

But you are defending the SoCon as a whole.xpeacex

ericsaid
July 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Will be interesting to see what improvements Riddle can make, scary at the same time.

SoCon48
July 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Will be interesting to see what improvements Riddle can make, scary at the same time.

Just in case the Apps slip a bit, I'm hoping Riddle has a case fo the sophomore slump. If Riddle gets hot and those receivers are still on their game, App just might have to match them score for score..plus one to win.

Phoenix87
July 14th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Wow, spend a few days away from the board and there's a huge Richmond thread...

I don't know a lot about Elon other than they have a great QB and 2 good wideouts. How is there offensive & defensive line shaping up?

I presonally think that UR will have 2 of the better lines in the CAA, and FCS. The O-Line has anchors in Matt McCracken (so far consensus pre-season AA) and Tim Silver has some AA mention. Will have 4 starters returning from a good unit froma year-ago. If Elon's d-line can't get a good push expect a lot of time chewing drives to keep their QB off the field.

UR's d-line should also be very solid as previously mentioned. Not enough to stop Riddle, but I'd have to imagine enough to slow him down some.

With a new offensive coordinator it will be interesting to see what type of play calling occurs come game day against Richmond. We had one of the youngest teams in the country last year, a team that knocked South Florida in the mouth for four quarters.

We should be a lot more mature this year and we have the entire offensive and defensive line returning. We have one of the top pass rushers in the country (FCS) in 6'6 Brandon Ward and one of the top DT's in the conference in Tim Happer. I think this game will be won in the trenches. I am not sure how our O-Line will hold up but I do believe that with the redshirt freshman we have stepping in to support on D, that we have one of the best, if not the best, D Line in the Socon and maybe even country.

Offensively I love our WR corps. Terrell Hudgins and Bo Williamson are known but watch out for Lance Camp and Sean Jeffcoat. I think Camp is going to have a massive year out of the slot and make everyone forget about Mike Mayers, one of the best WR in Elon history. As far as Rbs go, we have some great horses in the stable, but whether our O-line can get them some holes remains to be seen.

SoCon48
July 14th, 2008, 04:18 AM
We had one of the youngest teams in the country last year, a team that knocked South Florida in the mouth for four quarters.

Had Elon been able to do some scoring of it's own vs that I-A team, it could have been exciting for the Phoenix. South Florida was able to stop Elon momentum on all but 4 3rd downs and keep the Phoenix from crossing the goal line until three minutes left in the game.

Elon did a good job of holding down any SF rushing attack. Considering SF was a winning I-A program, it has to be one of Elon's best defensive efforts of the year.

ElonPride
July 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
We had one of the youngest teams in the country last year, a team that knocked South Florida in the mouth for four quarters.

Had Elon been able to do some scoring of it's own vs that I-A team, it could have been exciting for the Phoenix. South Florida was able to stop Elon momentum on all but 4 3rd downs and keep the Phoenix from crossing the goal line until three minutes left in the game.

Elon did a good job of holding down any SF rushing attack. Considering SF was a winning I-A program, it has to be one of Elon's best defensive efforts of the year.

That was Riddle's 1st game at the helm. We had 2 redzone TOs and missed a FG. The game could've been a lot more interesting if he had a game or 2 under his belt.

ElonPride
July 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
With a new offensive coordinator it will be interesting to see what type of play calling occurs come game day against Richmond. We had one of the youngest teams in the country last year, a team that knocked South Florida in the mouth for four quarters.

We should be a lot more mature this year and we have the entire offensive and defensive line returning. We have one of the top pass rushers in the country (FCS) in 6'6 Brandon Ward and one of the top DT's in the conference in Tim Happer. I think this game will be won in the trenches. I am not sure how our O-Line will hold up but I do believe that with the redshirt freshman we have stepping in to support on D, that we have one of the best, if not the best, D Line in the Socon and maybe even country.

Offensively I love our WR corps. Terrell Hudgins and Bo Williamson are known but watch out for Lance Camp and Sean Jeffcoat. I think Camp is going to have a massive year out of the slot and make everyone forget about Mike Mayers, one of the best WR in Elon history. As far as Rbs go, we have some great horses in the stable, but whether our O-line can get them some holes remains to be seen.

Lance Camp is probably the best athlete on the team. He just needed to find his place on the team.

I would look for Aaron Mellette to have an impact right away. At 6'4" 200+ pounds, he's going to be a heck of a target. Stats for '07 - Receiving: 54 rec 1281 yards 13TD's

SoCon48
July 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM
That was Riddle's 1st game at the helm. We had 2 redzone TOs and missed a FG. The game could've been a lot more interesting if he had a game or 2 under his belt.

One fumble and an interception is nothing to be ashamed of in a first game vs a I-A.

Yep, sacked on the USE 20, on 3rd and long, fumbled. Wilcox missing a 45yard FG is not that terrible bad. Looks like 37 yards was his range that day. 2 of 3 isn't that bad. Riddle's for interception on 3rd and 14 at the 16 had to hurt. But at least USF gave it back at the USF 31 on the punt handling fiasco.

No I-A's this year be good for the record. I'd bet Elon has 2 losses max this year.

ElonPride
July 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM
No I-A's this year be good for the record. I'd bet Elon has 2 losses max this year.

I don't know about only having 2 losses. I have faith in the team and Lembo, but I don't think they're ready to make it over the hump for a 9-2 season and a playoff bid.

Yes the D will be deeper this year.....but will there be a running game to complement the passing attack, will Camp, Jeffcoat or Mellette step up to help Williamson and Hudgins? There are to many question marks right now. I think this game will let us know how much the Elon team has matured.......I do like the fact that there are no sub D-I teams on the sked.

Richmond
Stoney Brook
Presby
GSU
Samford
Furman
El Cid
Chatt
Wofford
WCU
App
Liberty

It's amazing to think how far this team has come in such a short time. If Elon would've won either the El Cid or Furman game this past season, the they would have the SoCon title. Hopefully Lembo has some tricks up his sleeve this year. I like the fact that there could be 4 QBs on the field during every offensive snap (Riddle, Williamson, Hudgins, Camp).

That could really make things interesting. Lembo liked to run gadget plays his first year at Elon. Hudgins and Williamson combined for 6-6 passing and 2 Tds.

SoCon48
July 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I don't know about only having 2 losses. I have faith in the team and Lembo, but I don't think they're ready to make it over the hump for a 9-2 season and a playoff bid.

Maybe I'm seeing more in Elon's season and less in some opponents than should be assumed, but I see odds on wins (and heavy odds on with some if the rankings are believed) vs:

Presby, Samford, Furman, and WCU at home. Stony Brook, Liberty, Chatty on the road.

That's 7. Only need to win 3 out 4 vs Richmond and Wofford at home and App and GSU on the road. These 4 won't be that easy but having tough Wofford and Richmond at home should vastly help. In the USA ranking, Richmond is only one spot higher and Wofford is four spots lower. In fact, remove the northeast bias and the two should be at least tied at 7th ;) . GSU is so much further down (17th) that the obnoxious fans and gnats in Statesboro are a non factor.

Thus if the rankings are to be believed and the help from the schedule, then Elon should go 10-1. Slip ups do happen, though, but there's a nice cushion included.
Richmond and Elon are close..but the homefield should give Elon the edge by one or two TD's and Riddle, Hudgins, Mayers, and Co could make it ugly if they can't be contained.

That could really make things interesting. Lembo liked to run gadget plays his first year at Elon. Hudgins and Williamson combined for 6-6 passing and 2 Tds

I don't see him having to resort to those this year. But you know him better than me. They're fun to watch, but against strong fundamental defenses they can blow up in your face..embarrassingly. A half back pass or reverse now and then are OK.

ElonPride
July 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]
Richmond and Elon are close..but the homefield should give Elon the edge by one or two TD's and Riddle, Hudgins, Mayers, and Co could make it ugly if they can't be contained.

Remember though, the HUGE loss for the season is Mayers. Williamson should fill his shoes nicely at WR, but Mayers had speed, speed and more speed on special teams. Mayers set SoCon records for all purpose yards in a game/season for the simple fact that he was hard to tackle on returns.......If I'm not mistaken, he had 1 KO return TD for 100 yards and another 80 yard return against App.

SoCon48
July 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Remember though, the HUGE loss for the season is Mayers. Williamson should fill his shoes nicely at WR, but Mayers had speed, speed and more speed on special teams. Mayers set SoCon records for all purpose yards in a game/season for the simple fact that he was hard to tackle on returns.......If I'm not mistaken, he had 1 KO return TD for 100 yards and another 80 yard return against App.

83 yarder actually.
We expect Elon to bring the gifts, this time.

ViennaSpider
July 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Trick plays and trying to contain Riddle could be problematic for the Spiders. (I still have nightmares about our inopportune defensive lapse against a similar style QB at the end of the Towson game last year.) Then, again, we do have a gifted QB ourselves. If Eric Ward starts lighting it up with Kevin Grayson & company, Elon could be in for a very long evening.

Bettina90
July 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM
If Logan and Sidbury are healthy I don't see Elon putting up any 40 points on UR but we'll see (or some of you will, I don't see any TV coveragee making it up to Delaware for this one).

When looking at Comparable scores from last year, particularly ASU, don't forget that UR lost Sidbury the week before vs. Wofford and did not have Logan either. Basically they were trying to defend Armanti w/o their top two DE's. The backups did an admirable job and it may not have made much of a difference in the outcome but UR is clearly a better D with a healthy Sid and Logan than w/o.

gophoenix
July 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Trick plays and trying to contain Riddle could be problematic for the Spiders. (I still have nightmares about our inopportune defensive lapse against a similar style QB at the end of the Towson game last year.) Then, again, we do have a gifted QB ourselves. If Eric Ward starts lighting it up with Kevin Grayson & company, Elon could be in for a very long evening.

Which is why I feel like this game is going to be a point sprint rather than any kind of real defensive containment.

Spiders05
July 15th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm just shocked at the lack of respect for our D, especially since we're getting a former BCS defensive coordinator as our new head coach. Not that I don't respect Elon, but I just don't think it's going to be a happy opening night for them. We control the ball on offense (keeping Riddle off the field is the best way to contain him) and have a D-line that will be in the backfield quite often.

ElonPride
July 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm just shocked at the lack of respect for our D, especially since we're getting a former BCS defensive coordinator as our new head coach. Not that I don't respect Elon, but I just don't think it's going to be a happy opening night for them. We control the ball on offense (keeping Riddle off the field is the best way to contain him) and have a D-line that will be in the backfield quite often.

As Elon has new offensive coord. from an FBS school! I think that our OL is getting less repsect than they deserve. They are young and undersized, but are strong and quick. I don't think that Richmond will be able to get the penetration.......

phoenix3
July 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Oh believe me, Coach Lembo very well respects your D. Esp. the DE's and Secondary. Don't think for one second that any of the coaches, staff or players don't respect every aspect of your program! I don't think you'll shut us down but I don't think this will be a score fest for either team.

gophoenix
July 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM

No more so that you're lack of respect for our O. But, the rest of us aren't taking such a cocky approach to it.

DTSpider
July 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
The Spider secondary will be key. We've had a lot of trouble in the past on getting beat deep. Good news is that we'll have a fresh set of safeties with better speed. Not sure if they're be completely ready, but we'll be faster back there.

Spiders05
July 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
As Elon has new offensive coord. from an FBS school! I think that our OL is getting less repsect than they deserve. They are young and undersized, but are strong and quick. I don't think that Richmond will be able to get the penetration.......

You're not comparing the resumes of the former defensive coordinator at UVA to the former wide receivers coach of Arkansas St. are you?

I respect your O, but I think a lot of the passing yards aren't due to superior passing per se, but an abnormally high amount of passes per game. I've shown that his efficiency rating, while good, wasn't anything we haven't seen before.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game. UR, a team that made the semi-finals of the playoffs, should beat a team that didn't make the playoffs. If we didn't return 90% of our players and have proven guys replacing our losses, then I may feel differently, but I don't.

ElonPride
July 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
You're not comparing the resumes of the former defensive coordinator at UVA to the former wide receivers coach of Arkansas St. are you?

Last time I checked, neither school was an FBS power.....but UVA did have a great defense last year. And did I compare resumes? Nope! But thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

Is this the same Def Coord. that allowed his unit to give up 3 scores in the final 3 minutes in some bowl or another this past season?

Tribe4SF
July 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Richmond already had one of the best DCs in FCS with Russ Huesman. When he was at W&M we had the #2 defense in the country. Richmond's program turned around when they hired Russ to run the D four years ago. The Spiders are fortunate he stayed after not getting the head job.

gophoenix
July 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I respect your O, but I think a lot of the passing yards aren't due to superior passing per se, but an abnormally high amount of passes per game. I've shown that his efficiency rating, while good, wasn't anything we haven't seen before.

xlolx :D xlolx

Let me see if I can come up with some of that same "logic" .... maybe this will work: "Richmond's D isn't really all that good, they just had an abnormally small amount of plays run against them" xrolleyesx

In fact, Richmond's D isn't unlike what we see week in and out either. xrolleyesx

DTSpider
July 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Richmond already had one of the best DCs in FCS with Russ Huesman. When he was at W&M we had the #2 defense in the country. Richmond's program turned around when they hired Russ to run the D four years ago. The Spiders are fortunate he stayed after not getting the head job.

I agree completely.

UR has traditionally been pretty strong on defense. Last year was a fairly young unit (mostly freshmen & sophomores) that did a pretty darn good job most of the year. At the end the lack of depth really showed as we couldn't handle the normal injury list (i.e. always presume you'll lose 4 or 5 starters by the end of the year). I'm excited to see what Coach Huseman will do with this year's unit.

Bettina90
July 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
xlolx :D xlolx

Let me see if I can come up with some of that same "logic" .... maybe this will work: "Richmond's D isn't really all that good, they just had an abnormally small amount of plays run against them" xrolleyesx

In fact, Richmond's D isn't unlike what we see week in and out either. xrolleyesx

Actually, you would be correct in that assessment to some degree. I don't know nor care to look at the numbers but that's what some people have been alluding to with Richmond's ball control offense and solid O-line and RBs. Richmond had quite a few long TD drives with double digit plays.

gophoenix
July 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Actually, you would be correct in that assessment to some degree. I don't know nor care to look at the numbers but that's what some people have been alluding to with Richmond's ball control offense and solid O-line and RBs. Richmond had quite a few long TD drives with double digit plays.

But what they both elude to is that Richmond plays a control game plan where the defense shines. And we play an air it out game plan where the offense shines. Neither of our silly comments are accurate to the reality of the games we (Elon and Richmond) play. :D

DTSpider
July 16th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'm just ready for the guys to report for practice so we actually have something productive to talk about. The anticipation is awful right now.

YoUDeeMan
July 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Richmond by 10. xnodx

The Spiders D will be good this year and their O will control the clock.

SoCon48
July 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Last time I checked, neither school was an FBS power.....but UVA did have a great defense last year. And did I compare resumes? Nope! But thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

Is this the same Def Coord. that allowed his unit to give up 3 scores in the final 3 minutes in some bowl or another this past season?

Some bowl or another? You must be referring to the Gator Bowl? Pretty good bowl, not one of the dotcoms or spark plug bowls.

Defense gave up three scores in the final three minutes? Well wasn't quite the last 3 minutes, but close? Only 1 FG scored in the last 3 minutes of the game. And you mean starting when Virginia's OFFENSE laid the ball down on their own 4 yard line for T Tech to score on a "4 yard yard TD drive" with 3:15 left in the game?

Then the Virginia OFFENSE punted the ball 23 whole yards setting up Tech Tech at the 47. Ten (10) plays later, TTech scores on a 41 yard FG?
Only 3 points in last 3 minutes of the game.

Sounds like the O deserved some blame, too.

ericsaid
July 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game. UR, a team that made the semi-finals of the playoffs, should beat a team that didn't make the playoffs. If we didn't return 90% of our players and have proven guys replacing our losses, then I may feel differently, but I don't.

He still had to make the passes to get the yards. To have only 13 interceptions in 500+ pass attempts IMO is also a great indicator of how smart he is.

SoCon48
July 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM
But what they both elude to is that Richmond plays a control game plan where the defense shines. And we play an air it out game plan where the offense shines. Neither of our silly comments are accurate to the reality of the games we (Elon and Richmond) play. :D

"allude to"

And yes, the offense does indeed shine; at least the aerial aspect of it.

Spider
July 17th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Richmond by 10. xnodx

The Spiders D will be good this year and their O will control the clock.
ditto that Cluck...and we were a very good road team last year......

SoCon48
July 17th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I quit. You guys have convinced me that this game is a toss up, barring any unforseen misfortunes.

I do bet a dollar to a donut that Elon will face at least 2 teams in the SoCon this year who will give them a tougher game than the Spyders. Just my opinion. Now how those will shake out is a $64,000 question.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
SoCon ... something else you might want to be aware of.... Several Richmond fans absolutely love to Dunk Donuts on the way to road games.

How does that impact your impression of the game? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I quit. You guys have convinced me that this game is a toss up, barring any unforseen misfortunes.

I do bet a dollar to a donut that Elon will face at least 2 teams in the SoCon this year who will give them a tougher game than the Spyders. Just my opinion. Now how those will shake out is a $64,000 question.

gophoenix
July 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM
"allude to"

And yes, the offense does indeed shine; at least the aerial aspect of it.

LOL.

Another one of those englishisms I always forget (like the contraction of it is vs it in the possessive). So, just try not to use them usually.

ur2k
July 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
SoCon ... something else you might want to be aware of.... Several Richmond fans absolutely love to Dunk Donuts on the way to road games.

How does that impact your impression of the game? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Big House, time for some X and O discussion, how will the 7pm game time affect our donut consumption on the ride to Elon?

It's the first game of the season with 2 good teams going at it. We message board prognosticators have no clue how this one will shake out. Should be a good one.

Bettina90
July 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Does "give them a tougher game" allow for "Beat them even worse"?

SoCon48
July 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Richmond def has a good team. I just think Lembo and the Phoenix will prevail. Just not by as much as i had previously felt.

whoanellie
July 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Big House, time for some X and O discussion, how will the 7pm game time affect our donut consumption on the ride to Elon?

It's the first game of the season with 2 good teams going at it. We message board prognosticators have no clue how this one will shake out. Should be a good one.
JMHO-
since this is hopefully going to be a start of some home and home trecks between our institutions will you be coming down via I-85s or us29-360-60 or 220-I-64??????? suggested pitstops SouthHill- Danville-Durham/Hillborough-or Graham. 7pm start is great since August in Alamance Co. is hotter than a Sweetbriar Sophmore.

ViennaSpider
July 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
JMHO-
since this is hopefully going to be a start of some home and home trecks between our institutions will you be coming down via I-85s or us29-360-60 or 220-I-64??????? suggested pitstops SouthHill- Danville-Durham/Hillborough-or Graham. 7pm start is great since August in Alamance Co. is hotter than a Sweetbriar Sophmore.

Oh, yeah - I'd definitely make Durham a pit stop!

DTSpider
July 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM
What time does JMU play Duke...it's the same day right?

ur2k
July 18th, 2008, 10:00 AM
What time does JMU play Duke...it's the same day right?

Looks like its also a 7pm start.

@ Nellie - From Richmond, I would think we'd just take the straight shot down I-85. How many hours before the game can we get into the parking lots?

gophoenix
July 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM

@ Nellie - From Richmond, I would think we'd just take the straight shot down I-85. How many hours before the game can we get into the parking lots?

85 is your best bet. EP and I make that trip all the time. Going the "back way" adds about 1 hour.

phoenix3
July 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Not trying to steal Nellie's answer, but, in the old days you could pull up 15 minutes into the game & be assured of parking 100 yards from the stadium. Last year 1 hour was reasonable with the exception of the App game. Needed about 2 hrs for that one. I would recommend a minimum of 1 hr for our game. With frosh orientation/move in and the hype this game is receiving it's anybody's best guess. For the App game they had an auxillary parking lot with a shuttle which actually was barely used. If we have that again you likely won't have to worry too much about coming within an hour of kickoff. These are minimum times. I'm not sure that there is a maximum. You should certainly be able to get in within 4 hours of gametime. Your best bet is to call the ticket office 336-278-6750.

ElonPride
July 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
85 is your best bet. EP and I make that trip all the time. Going the "back way" adds about 1 hour.

85 is the best way, but the "back road" is so much nicer!

If you're feeling adventerous, take 360 to South Boston and get on 58 towards Danville. In Daville hop on 29 until you get to Greensboro. Then find your way to 70, and that will almost take you into Elon. It's a really pretty drive through VA, and NO TRAFFIC!!!

gophoenix
July 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
85 is the best way, but the "back road" is so much nicer!

If you're feeling adventerous, take 360 to South Boston and get on 58 towards Danville. In Daville hop on 29 until you get to Greensboro. Then find your way to 70, and that will almost take you into Elon. It's a really pretty drive through VA, and NO TRAFFIC!!!

or US29 to NC87 in Reidsville and come to Elon from the NE, saves some time on that route.

elon77
July 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
has anyone on this thread mentioned how young elon is? only graduated 5 seniors last year and only have 5 seniors in the 2 deep on offensive and defense this year.

Phoenix87
July 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Parking is going to be an issue for the game. Usually for a 7 pm start they would open up the lots around 3, I believe. The Friday before the game though is freshman move in day and the rest of the student body isn't allowed to move in until 2:00 pm on Saturday, GAME DAY. Parking is usually an issue anyway, but having move in day be the same day as the game is going to cause huge headaches for people.

Also, student's aren't going to be allowed to tailgate in the student lot before the game because they don't want the freshman exposed to all of the drinking that usually goes on before a game.

Totally bogus in mine, and a lot of other peoples, eyes. Alumni and students are still trying to fight it.

Has anyone heard any updates on parking, this is all news I heard about a month or month and a half ago.

SoCon48
July 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Also, student's aren't going to be allowed to tailgate in the student lot before the game because they don't want the freshman exposed to all of the drinking that usually goes on before a game.

What they mean is, they don't want the parents of the freshmen to see all the drinking that usually goes on before a game.

BTW, why would alumni fight it for students?

Phoenix87
July 21st, 2008, 03:02 AM
no it's not the parents. the parents are being instructed to leave, which they probably won't. but I was told from administration involved with creating the student ban on tailgating for the game that the reason they are doing it is that they don't want the freshman to be drinking with the rest of the student body, or even be exposed to it. most of the students that tailgate are tailgating with their student organizations and the freshman aren't allowed to be exposed to any student organizations until after the Org Fair.

and yes, I have heard of alumni calling or writing in because they know how big of a game it is and that all of the support will be needed. banning tailgating is could diminish the amount of students that make it to the game.

YoUDeeMan
July 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM

I do bet a dollar to a donut that Elon will face at least 2 teams in the SoCon this year who will give them a tougher game than the Spyders. Just my opinion.

Boston Cream, please. :D

gophoenix
July 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM

What they mean is, they don't want the parents of the freshmen to see all the drinking that usually goes on before a game.

BTW, why would alumni fight it for students?

Because it kills the tailgating atmosphere, and discourages student participation in tailgating and the typical football experience. One of the biggest complaints is that we don't have a consistent fan base. This type of crap doesn't help with consistency.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Boston Cream, please. :D

Oh yeah. Coming from the conference who got their clocks cleaned last year by a SoCon team.
Please bring better competition this year to the play-offs.

YoUDeeMan
July 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Oh yeah. Coming from the conference who got their clocks cleaned last year by a SoCon team.
Please bring better competition this year to the play-offs.

Please. Stop living vicariously through one team. Your conference co-champs got lucky and slid by a weak Montana team before they got their clocks cleaned by Richmond. Remind me, how much offense did Woffy put together in that game...against an injured UR D?

And JMU beat the absolute snot out of the vaunted ASU team...but lost on the scoreboard. Hey, the scoreboard is what counts, but the way JMU manhandled ASU's boy toy defense puts a serious dent your statement about the CAA getting their clocks cleaned. xrolleyesx

A wide left kick and a silly fumble prevented the SoCon from being swept out of the first round. Count your blessings. xnodx

As far as 2008 goes, try to have a few more quality teams this year and you might get more than two into the playoffs. xlolx xlolx

gophoenix
July 22nd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Please. Stop living vicariously through one team. Your conference co-champs got lucky and slid by a weak Montana team before they got their clocks cleaned by Richmond. Remind me, how much offense did Woffy put together in that game...against an injured UR D?

xrolleyesx

In all fairness, please don't sit and pretend Wofford was at full strength either.

But, to answer your question, they put up 307 yards. Richmond put 309 yards on them. One Richmond score was due to a botched punt. So as much as you want to say JMU dominated App; Richmond did not dominate Wofford by the stats. Funny, I don't see this in your little spin session.

The rest of your post is just utter silliness and not worth responding to.

paward
July 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
To be honest this whole thread has gotten to be silly and representative of the same ole, same ole "Which conference is better CAA or SoCon?" The original take on Elon vs Richmond got lost long ago. As much as I feel CAA is a stong conference I feel that SoCon is as well. There is no battle there not at this point and time at least. Advice to posters take a few deep breathes and let's get back to what everyone thinnk AGS posters are, knowledgeable, objective and students of the FCS football game. Back to the Elon vs Richmond game my thoughts are still "Can't Wait".

gophoenix
July 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
To be honest this whole thread has gotten to be silly and representative of the same ole, same ole "Which conference is better CAA or SoCon?" The original take on Elon vs Richmond got lost long ago. As much as I feel CAA is a stong conference I feel that SoCon is as well. There is no battle there not at this point and time at least. Advice to posters take a few deep breathes and let's get back to what everyone thinnk AGS posters are, knowledgeable, objective and students of the FCS football game. Back to the Elon vs Richmond game my thoughts are still "Can't Wait".

Yes, it can't come soon enough.

ElonPride
July 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
This is a good regional matchup, and I hope it continues for a while.

The game next year in Richmond should draw good interest from the community. Elon has a decent amount a Alums that live in the area.

I would like to see this game on our schedule(s) for a long time.

paward
July 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Additionally, winning or losing this game came be a plus for both teams. It does not hurt in either's conference schedule. You could loose and still be your Conference Champs. Adjustments and game planning will be in place for the loser. The winner cannot get a false sense of security. The one element we both face in our conference on any given saturaday you can have you azz handed to you on a silver platter. To be effective you have to bounce back the next week and for get it. I do want to win this game but if we loose all is not lost for me. It will give us something to work on and with. I want to see how our new coaching staff will handle this game. I am more excited about this concept most of all.

elon77
July 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
i hope it's not too blame hot. i moved my daughter into her dorm last year at elon and it was a 103 degrees. will be down there taking her back this year and i can't wait for this game. for the fans and players let's all hope the temp. is half way decent. bring on the bugs!!!!!

Spiders05
September 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
It was fun digging this one back up to see how different thoughts on the game either did or did not come true.