PDA

View Full Version : Can Appalachian State pull off another shocker in 2008?

UNHWildCats
July 3rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
What do you think are the chances that Armanti Edwards and Appalachian State knock off LSU in the season-opener battle of two 2007 national champs?
-- Jim W., Reno, Nevada

It was around this time a year ago that I put my foot in my mouth and said the Mountaineers could not possibly knock off Michigan in Ann Arbor. Admittedly, at the time, I knew almost nothing about Appalachian State. Now that I'm up-to-speed on the prowess of the scintillating Edwards and coach Jerry Moore's potent spread offense ... I still don't think they can beat LSU.

This is an entirely different sort of matchup. Last year, Appalachian State was able to take advantage of a more physical Michigan defense susceptible to big plays from athletes in space. In the first half of that game, Edwards and receiver Dexter Jackson simply picked apart the Wolverines' secondary. LSU, on the other hand, has exactly the type of speedy defensive linemen that can disrupt a spread attack. Edwards is unlikely to run wild, and it doesn't help that Jackson, a second-round draft pick, and all-time rushing leader Kevin Richardson are no longer in the fold.

On the flip side, one might justifiably point out that the Mountaineers were able to beat a team that had a four-year starting quarterback (Chad Henne), while LSU will be trotting out an entirely green QB. This is true. But the Tigers have plenty of other weapons on offense, and while I don't necessarily think they'll rack up 40 points, they probably won't need to if their defense gets a handle on Edwards.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/07/02/cfb.mailbag/1.html

AlphaSigMD
July 3rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Well, atleast he laid a Solid groundwork for what will certainly be the cry of the LSU apologists after our potentially stunning win in Baton Rouge.

I'd like to go ahead and do my own personal ESPN sound-bite should ASU win that fateful day.

"LSU is a traditionally strong team in an uncharacteristic rebuilding year, without a tested and credible weapon at QB. They were also decimated by the loss of Glenn Dorsey, Early Doucet, and several other impact players to the NFL. In addition, the removal of Ryan Perrilloux from the team due to many off-the-field indiscretions cannot be understated. This is simply not the same team that the won the national championship 8 months ago."

I think this sounds familiar?

LSU will then go on to finish the season 10-3, finishing 2nd in the SEC West.

Skjellyfetti
July 3rd, 2008, 02:05 AM
It was around this time a year ago that I put my foot in my mouth and said the Mountaineers could not possibly knock off Michigan in Ann Arbor. Admittedly, at the time, I knew almost nothing about Appalachian State.

Thanks fo rletting us know you don't do your homework and that we should not take any prognostication from you seriously. **** si. (pwi).

ALPHAGRIZ1
July 3rd, 2008, 04:20 AM
Appy St can beat LSU.

APPALACHIANstate
July 3rd, 2008, 05:35 AM
Appalachian could beat LSU, will they? We will find out. I don't necessarily believe you had to put your foot in your mouth when App beat Michigan. However, people claiming App will get obliterated will have to when the time comes.

chantster
July 3rd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Certainly won't be able to sneak up on LSU. I'm sure they hear it every day how ASU knocked off Michigan in the season opener last year.

LSU lost some studs on defense, and will be replacing the QB and RB. But, big programs like LSU can reload quickly with 4 and 5 star athletes.

One thing I have learned is to never count out ASU with Armanti at the helm. He is a definite playmaker than can certainly carry a team.

I would take ASU +14 or better. I think the line will be around 24 by game time.

CSUBUCDAD
July 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
There is a reason we say "any given Saturday".

Go Bison
July 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Certainly won't be able to sneak up on LSU. I'm sure they hear it every day how ASU knocked off Michigan in the season opener last year.

LSU lost some studs on defense, and will be replacing the QB and RB. But, big programs like LSU can reload quickly with 4 and 5 star athletes.

One thing I have learned is to never count out ASU with Armanti at the helm. He is a definite playmaker than can certainly carry a team.

I would take ASU +14 or better. I think the line will be around 24 by game time.

Why do people always say that a FCS team snuck up on a FBS team? "They won't be able to sneak up on them this year." NDSU hears this all the time as well. Seriously, I think it is just a sorry excuse for losing.

Syntax Error
July 3rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
I think the line will be around 24 by game time.Wasn't the score 24-0 last time they played?

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Note to the haters: An ASU fan did not start this thread.

But we approve.

Syntax Error
July 3rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Note to the haters: An ASU fan did not start this thread.
But we approve.xhomerx

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
xhomerx

Just the facts there, hater. Making sure there is no confusion.

And you wonder why Apps don't sponsor a banner.xrolleyesx

APPdopted
July 3rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Can ASU pull off another shocker against LSU? Yes, there's no doubt in my mind....Will they? That I'm not so sure of this year, call me crazy but I had the funny gut feeling they'd beat UM last year. This year's team is in somewhat of a dangerous position to me. They still have plenty of weapons, tactical genius coaching, and something that's tough to battle on the field: Heart. But they have a tough season ahead, esp. the road game at JMU. Should they lay it all out on the line in the Bayou? or Give it their best shot and regroup for JMU and the SoCon?

93henfan
July 3rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
The one thing going against you is that LSU knows that it can be done. I don't think Michigan did until a certain blocked FG.

DLS
July 3rd, 2008, 08:17 AM
xhomerx

i question this man's sexuality.

Longhorn
July 3rd, 2008, 08:17 AM
All fans of FCS FB will be cheering for ASU against the Tigers, but the chances of ASU pulling off the win are almost zero. I'm just hoping ASU reps well and gets out of LA without any major injuries, especially to Edwards. We JMU fans want ASU at full strength so they'll be no excuses when the Dukes win. xsmiley_wix

jaxstatealum
July 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
The one thing going against you is that LSU knows that it can be done. I don't think Michigan did until a certain blocked FG.

My thinking exactly. There will be no surprise or lack of preparation on LSU's part.

I pulling for Appy - love to see them do it twice in a row xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
July 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
What do you think are the chances that Armanti Edwards and Appalachian State knock off LSU in the season-opener battle of two 2007 national champs?
-- Jim W., Reno, Nevada

It was around this time a year ago that I put my foot in my mouth and said the Mountaineers could not possibly knock off Michigan in Ann Arbor. Admittedly, at the time, I knew almost nothing about Appalachian State. Now that I'm up-to-speed on the prowess of the scintillating Edwards and coach Jerry Moore's potent spread offense ... I still don't think they can beat LSU.

This is an entirely different sort of matchup. Last year, Appalachian State was able to take advantage of a more physical Michigan defense susceptible to big plays from athletes in space. In the first half of that game, Edwards and receiver Dexter Jackson simply picked apart the Wolverines' secondary. LSU, on the other hand, has exactly the type of speedy defensive linemen that can disrupt a spread attack. Edwards is unlikely to run wild, and it doesn't help that Jackson, a second-round draft pick, and all-time rushing leader Kevin Richardson are no longer in the fold.

On the flip side, one might justifiably point out that the Mountaineers were able to beat a team that had a four-year starting quarterback (Chad Henne), while LSU will be trotting out an entirely green QB. This is true. But the Tigers have plenty of other weapons on offense, and while I don't necessarily think they'll rack up 40 points, they probably won't need to if their defense gets a handle on Edwards.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/07/02/cfb.mailbag/1.html

Who started this crap?

I'm sick of reading about you HOMER APP ST. FANS. There are other things happening than APP ST. Believe it or not. We already know about "THE GREAT APP STATE." Some people can't leave it alone. They have to bring it up like it is the only thing that matters anymore in FCS.

Disclaimer: this thread was not started by an Appalachian State Fan or Armanti Edwards.

Appinator
July 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
-- Jim W., Reno, Nevada

I think this is a great un-bias answer to a difficult question. To deny that LSU has great athletes backing up great great athletes is crazy. Despite their losses, LSU will field a team that is as good, or better, than last years Michigan team.

With that said, coaching will be the x-factor here. Carr was notorious for not opening the playbook up for the first few games, and never was known as the gambling type. Miles is light years different. I mean we are talking about a guy who passed for a touchdown with 8 sec left and no time outs instead of a gimmie field goal, and got it.

I said we would keep it close last year, and we did. (We just happened to be on the good side of close) I think we will again this year too. I think the main thing is focusing on not giving up the big play through basic dives or long runs after catches. If the game is close, Miles will pull something out of his bag of tricks, and we have to be ok about that. But if we play a sound game all around, we definitely won't get stomped.

SideLine Shooter
July 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
i question this man's sexuality.

Along with other things too.

patssle
July 3rd, 2008, 08:44 AM
I doubt App will keep it close. There is a huge disparity beteween BCS FBS and FCS football. The win over a ranked FBS is rare for a reason.

Now I HOPE App can keep it close or win, but I don't expect it.

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 08:54 AM
All fans of FCS FB will be cheering for ASU against the Tigers,. xsmiley_wix

I doubt that seriously. There is one quite obvious one in this very thread.xeyebrowx

CharlestonAppFan
July 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
AppySt can beat LSU.

Thanks xthumbsupx but I'm pulling a Citdog every time I see this crap! It's APP xrulesx xsplatx xpissedx xasswhipx

Appinator
July 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks xthumbsupx but I'm pulling a Citdog every time I see this crap! It's APP xrulesx xsplatx xpissedx xasswhipx

xoutofrepx

Syntax Error
July 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
All fans of FCS FB will be cheering for ASU against the TigersYou know it! I remember every FCS win over FBS and dancing!

DLS
July 3rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
oh snap, i got in trouble for my comment,

Dear DLS,

You have received an infraction at AnyGivenSaturday.com.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1004925#post1004925

Reason: Strike 1: Personal Attack on Other Member(s)
-------
personal attacks are not allowed on AGS
-------

This infraction is worth 3 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
AnyGivenSaturday.com

damn you syntax error. hater.

appfan2008
July 3rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
would love to see a tornado it another football town again but i just dont see it happening i would once again love to play with them and if we fall by 2 tds or less while putting a scare in them and coming away healthy i would be happy

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 09:38 AM

Dear DLS,

-------
-------

This infraction is worth 3 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
AnyGivenSaturday.com

I did, too. But I don't have a clue what for.xconfusedx

hawkeye
July 3rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Yes, there is a chance. There is also a chance gas will drop to $1.00 dollar per gallon. I hope both happens.

SideLine Shooter
July 3rd, 2008, 09:46 AM

Probably for being an App Fan and telling the truth.

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Probably for being an App Fan and telling the truth.

No comment. I don't want another one that I don't know what it's for.

89Hen
July 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
I learned my lesson last year too and will never say never again. Can they? xnodx

CharlestonAppFan
July 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM

Dear DLS,

-------
-------

All the best,
AnyGivenSaturday.com

I fulfilled my brotherly APP State duties and gave both of you your 3 rep points back....xthumbsupx xnodx ;)

ASUPATCH
July 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
After last year I cant say never. But I will say it it highly unlikely. I see a 28-14 type score. We wont have near the success on O as we did at Michigan. But at the same time it will be hard for LSU to put up a bunch of points with primarily a run oriented O with a brand new QB.

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
I fulfilled my brotherly APP State duties and gave both of you your 3 rep points back....xthumbsupx xnodx ;)

KOOL!!! Thanks.;)

DLS
July 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM

we must have forgotten to donate.

CharlestonAppFan
July 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
KOOL!!! Thanks.;)

Wow...so you negative repped me for that? xeyebrowx xmadx

GtFllsGriz
July 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
It certainly could happen but I doubt that it will. I am certainly pulling for an App win. I will be a huge Mountaineer fan on that day! Good luck!

citdog
July 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
i hadn't even heard that appyxnodx state was plaing lsu.....when did they announce this? :D

CharlestonAppFan
July 3rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
i hadn't even heard that appyxnodx state was plaing lsu.....when did they announce this? :D

APP you should know better xnodx :D

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Wow...so you negative repped me for that? xeyebrowx xmadx

NO. I gave you positive rep and a positive comment? Did it come out as negative???? I'll e-mail the admin if it did!!!

CharlestonAppFan
July 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
NO. I gave you positive rep and a positive comment? Did it come out as negative???? I'll e-mail the admin if it did!!!

xnodx xnodx xnodx It's an APP conspiracy!!!!!!! xrotatehx

SideLine Shooter
July 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM

UNHWildcats broke the news today!!!

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
xnodx xnodx xnodx It's an APP conspiracy!!!!!!! xrotatehx

I'm trying to fix it. I have to spread some rep points around first it says. Anybody else you want to get some positive points? xcoolx

AppStFan76
July 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm trying to fix it. I have to spread some rep points around first it says. Anybody else you want to get some positive points? xcoolx

I would say yes but as an App fan I'm afraid it would end up being neg. rep pointsxlolx xsmiley_wix

udchuck
July 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM

Is that true,???????Appy State is playing LSU??????????????

AppStFan76
July 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Is that true,???????Appy State is playing LSU??????????????

No just a visious media hoax! I think App is going to drop their football program...said they wanted to go out on top!!xlolx xrotatehx

CharlestonAppFan
July 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM

It's all good xthumbsupx just wanted to make sure that you didn't have it out for me for some unknown reason. I enjoy your unparalled knowledge of everything App on the MMB too xnodx (or at least I think so, you are JCline right?) along with everyone else.

As for positive rep points, any poster who you think is willing :)

CharlestonAppFan
July 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Is that true,???????APP State is playing LSU??????????????

Fixed it for ya xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
July 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Why do people always say that a FCS team snuck up on a FBS team? "They won't be able to sneak up on them this year." NDSU hears this all the time as well. Seriously, I think it is just a sorry excuse for losing.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. And, ditto.

ALPHAGRIZ1
July 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
App St can definitely pull off another "shocker" this year but the following must happen:

1. D1B needs to be fairly drunk.
2. He needs to be in the mood.
3. Definitely has to be in a semi dark and private area.
4. He has to find an App St fan with small hands.
5. No photography or audio recording devices.

Death Dealer
July 3rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
App. St. does not match up as well against LSU as Michigan. LSU is fast and strong on defense. Their corners and LB's are going to be a lot harder to beat, and App.St. will have a hard time getting into scoring position, much less putting up points. Granted, LSU will be breaking in a new QB and may play a little conservatively, but I still think they will be able to score at least 3-4 times.

All that being said, it could happen.xnodx

IndianaAppMan
July 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
" 'What do you think are the chances that Armanti Edwards and Appalachian State knock off LSU in the season-opener battle of two 2007 national champs?'
-- Jim W., Reno, Nevada

"On the flip side, one might justifiably point out that the Mountaineers were able to beat a team that had a four-year starting quarterback (Chad Henne), while LSU will be trotting out an entirely green QB. This is true. But the Tigers have plenty of other weapons on offense, and while I don't necessarily think they'll rack up 40 points, they probably won't need to if their defense gets a handle on Edwards."

I think we all can at least appreciate that Mandel, one of the premier writers in all of college football, has acknowledged App State's capabilities. He at least goes beyond just calling ASU lucky. I loved it that my alma mater was involved in one the most famous upsets of all time, but I hated it when so many in the national media dismissed the UM game, say things like, "Michigan got beat by a community college," or "a high school team." Or they'd point out the HOT HOT HOT video and dismiss ASU as completely unworthy. Instead, Mandel points out Dexter Jackson, Armanti's Heisman potential (although a real longshot), and Jerry Moore. He gives credit where ASU deserves it.

That's a long way from where we were a year ago. I hope all of the FCS will get more credit from media people like Mandel in the years to come. xnodx

udchuck
July 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM
No just a visious media hoax! I think App is going to drop their football program...said they wanted to go out on top!!xlolx xrotatehx

Now they're getting smart.--Drop the Football program then brag about beating Mich.for the next 100 years.xlolx But you must drop the program BEFORE you play LSU.( getting beat by 31 points will not be good for the records.)

SU DOG
July 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM
The real point to me is that this discussion is even seriously taking place. Regardless of last year, that has to be a tribute to the unbelievable program that the Mountaineers have. Maybe lightning can strike twice!!!

JohnStOnge
July 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Appy St can beat LSU.

Possible? Yes. Likely. No.

In fact, very unlikely.

JohnStOnge
July 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
As fantastic as the App State run has been let's not forget that the Mountaineers have been 1-3 against BCS league schools during that run and the outcomes were never really in doubt during the three losses while the one win was in doubt until the field goal was blocked at the end of the game.

Regardless of any problems LSU may have, the Tigers have far more raw talent overall than Appalachian State has, they'll be playing at home, and they will be playing a game that kicks off at 3 pm in South Louisiana against a team that will have been practicing in a town where the average high temperature in August is 74 F.

Plus there's that thing where LSU players know Appalachian State beat Michigan last year and will take the Mountaineers fairly seriously. That's something Michigan's players probably didn't do prior to the 2007 opener.

JohnStOnge
July 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
You know, I was thinking about this and there's another thing. This is going to be a nationally televised ESPN game and it's going to be hyped as a matchup of national champions. There is going to be a bunch of focus on how Appalachian State beat Michigan in 2007. Probably a bunch of highlights of the App State at Michigan game, etc. I think that by the time kickoff arrives there's going to be a real "let's slap Appalachian State down" mentality among LSU players. I think there's going to be an intensity on LSU's part that will be unique as compared to that of BCS league teams in previous matchups of this type.

Skjellyfetti
July 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Can they? Without a doubt. It would take a great game for them to do it, but they definitely have the talent.

Will they? I don't know... I don't like making predictions. I wouldn't make a bet on the game either way.

JohnStOnge
July 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Can they? Without a doubt. It would take a great game for them to do it, but they definitely have the talent.

They are at a decided disadvantage in overall talent. Of course, they were at a decided disadvantage in overall talent against Michigan in 2007 too.

We'll see what happens. But if you think Appalachian State has anywhere near the overall talent LSU has, you're kidding yourself.

Skjellyfetti
July 4th, 2008, 08:30 PM
They are at a decided disadvantage in overall talent. Of course, they were at a decided disadvantage in overall talent against Michigan in 2007 too.

We'll see what happens. But if you think Appalachian State has anywhere near the overall talent LSU has, you're kidding yourself.

I didn't say they had the overall talent of LSU. LSU definitely has the depth advantage. However, no question in my mind that App does have the talent to win or make it interesting. I don't think Michigan had a great talent gap... just pull up highlights on youtube and watch Armanti juke Shawn Crable, DJ running by their defense on crossing routes and reverses, or Pierre Banks putting the hurting to Chad Henne.

The only part of the game Michigan beat us was Mike Hart and their running game against our DL. We were beat the same way in both of our losses and were fortunate against JMU.

The biggest advantage LSU will have matchup-wise will be their nasty DL and Ricky Jean-Francois. They will make some big plays, no doubt, and make it difficult for Devon Moore and Armanti to run... but they will not shut us out or blow us out.

I have no doubt that top FCS teams can compete with FBS teams... and I think McNeese also has the talent to beat UNC. Maybe not "overall talent
but they definitely have the players to beat themxthumbsupx

SoCon48
July 5th, 2008, 12:22 AM
As fantastic as the App State run has been let's not forget that the Mountaineers have been 1-3 against BCS league schools during that run and the outcomes were never really in doubt during the three losses while the one win was in doubt until the field goal was blocked at the end of the game.

Regardless of any problems LSU may have, the Tigers have far more raw talent overall than Appalachian State has, they'll be playing at home, and they will be playing a game that kicks off at 3 pm in South Louisiana against a team that will have been practicing in a town where the average high temperature in August is 74 F.

Plus there's that thing where LSU players know Appalachian State beat Michigan last year and will take the Mountaineers fairly seriously. That's something Michigan's players probably didn't do prior to the 2007 opener.

while the one win was in doubt until the field goal was blocked at the end of the game.

Good point. Of course the Michigan field goal attempt would have been meaningless had one of App's earlier FG attempts not bounced off the upright.

In doubt? But how much of the game? ASU led at the end of every quarter except the one TD first quarter lead by Mich. App led pretty much most of the game and had the biggest lead of the game. I'd venture to suggest "in question" was a much more accurate term than "in doubt."

LSU will be tougher, not necessarily because they are better than Michigan, but because the surprise element is completely gone and LSU has played us before and know we have kept within 2 scores of them into the 4th quarter. They'll be out to hang a bunch on us this time.

SoCon48
July 5th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I didn't say they had the overall talent of LSU. LSU definitely has the depth advantage. However, no question in my mind that App does have the talent to win or make it interesting. I don't think Michigan had a great talent gap... just pull up highlights on youtube and watch Armanti juke Shawn Crable, DJ running by their defense on crossing routes and reverses, or Pierre Banks putting the hurting to Chad Henne.

The only part of the game Michigan beat us was Mike Hart and their running game against our DL. We were beat the same way in both of our losses and were fortunate against JMU.

The biggest advantage LSU will have matchup-wise will be their nasty DL and Ricky Jean-Francois. They will make some big plays, no doubt, and make it difficult for Devon Moore and Armanti to run... but they will not shut us out or blow us out.
I have no doubt that top FCS teams can compete with FBS teams... and I think McNeese also has the talent to beat UNC. Maybe not "overall talent
but they definitely have the players to beat themxthumbsupx

One scary thought. We were shut down for almost entire quarters by a couple SoCon teams last year. Plus one or two in the FCS play-offs.

JohnStOnge
July 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
In doubt? But how much of the game?

I'd say for just about the entire contest because neither team ever had an insurmountable lead and, when Appalachian State did have a 14 point lead, it was a situation in which the team that was favored and had superior overall talent was the one behind and there was more than an entire half of football to go. Then it was a 5 point game at the end of the third quarter. Then Michigan took the lead with less than 5 minutes to go and got the ball back at App State's 43 on a turnover. And that was under circumstances where an offense that had put up over 400 yards and averaged over 6 yards per rush to that point. Then they got to third and 5 at the App State 25 after having gained 5 or more yards on each of three of their four rushing attempts of the posession before being penalized for delay of game to put themselves in a bad down/distance situation.

There was plenty of basis for doubt about whether or not Appalachian State was going to win through most of the game. I'd say that when they got the 28 - 14 lead in the second quarter that provided a lot of basis for hope among FCS fans for a big upset. But there was always the concern that they wouldn't hold on and, in the end, the "Big Boy" would pull it out as so often seems to happen.

SoCon48
July 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'd say for just about the entire contest because neither team ever had an insurmountable lead and, when Appalachian State did have a 14 point lead, it was a situation in which the team that was favored and had superior overall talent was the one behind and there was more than an entire half of football to go. Then it was a 5 point game at the end of the third quarter. Then Michigan took the lead with less than 5 minutes to go and got the ball back at App State's 43 on a turnover. And that was under circumstances where an offense that had put up over 400 yards and averaged over 6 yards per rush to that point. Then they got to third and 5 at the App State 25 after having gained 5 or more yards on each of three of their four rushing attempts of the posession before being penalized for delay of game to put themselves in a bad down/distance situation.

There was plenty of basis for doubt about whether or not Appalachian State was going to win through most of the game. I'd say that when they got the 28 - 14 lead in the second quarter that provided a lot of basis for hope among FCS fans for a big upset. But there was always the concern that they wouldn't hold on and, in the end, the "Big Boy" would pull it out as so often seems to happen.

You made a great case....for the use of the term "in question" rather than "in doubt". If one assumed that App was supposed to lose by 60 from the get go, then no ASU lead, momentum, big play, or drives would have caused one NOT to think the ASU win was in doubt, especially if one knew nothing about the big plays ASU has made on defense almost consistently the past 3 years.

After almost everytime Michigan scored, ASU answered right back.
You mentioned Michigan being set back by a penalty. Both teams were set back an equal number of times..7. Can't just look at the end of a game and place the cause on a penalty. Same with turnovers. Almost exactly even.

The chance of victory was always in question because of the closeness of the margin..but in doubt..only by the ones who thought App shouldn't even been on the same field. The only way one could say that the win was in doubt most of the game.Sure Michigan could make huge drives and big plays.

The few seconds the kicker took to line up his kick was the only time the win was in doubt to anyone looking at what was happening rather than what was supposed and predicted to have happened.

In NO statistical category did Michigan dominate ASU. Repeat no. Unless one considers 246 to 160 dominating. When one holds a team to 246 yards rushing, they've done a good job on the day, especially a team like App whose weakness was supposed to be rushing defense. ASU had several SoCon teams put up much higher rushing yards than that.

Total O, App 387 Mich 479
And never entered the Michigan red zone without scoring.

JohnStOnge
July 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM
SoCon, I think we apparently just define "doubt" differently. To me, the terms "in doubt" and "in question" are interchangable in this situation. I realize that both teams made mistakes. Michigan didn't "dominate" App State in the stats, but App State certainly didn't dominate Michigan in the stats either. It was a close game that came down to the last play. It was a squeaker.

That is no disgrace to Appalachian State. It's remarkable that an FCS could take a good, solid BCS league team like Michigan was last year to the last play much less actually win the game.

SoCon48
July 5th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Michigan had the first play of the game. App had the last play..a huge defensive one.

You're right about the semantics. Just not exactly interchangeable to me..especially connotation wise. When I say in doubt, I mean I think we're likely to lose. Unlikely to win. When I say in question, I mean it hasn't been decided yet one way or the other.
If you apply for a job and get the interview. Only two applicants including yourself. You call the boss the next week and ask him if you're going to get the job. He says your hiring is in doubt. Or he says the hiring is still in question. What if he said during the whole application and interview process your chances were in doubt. Just like during the App-M game.

Get my drift?
xeyebrowx

One thing is for sure, we do know who won and we didn't hear decent writers saying App lucked into the outcome.

SideLine Shooter
July 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Michigan had the first play of the game. App had the last play..a huge defensive one.

You're right about the semantics. Just not exactly interchangeable to me..especially connotation wise. When I say in doubt, I mean I think we're likely to lose. Unlikely to win. When I say in question, I mean it hasn't been decided yet one way or the other.
If you apply for a job and get the interview. Only two applicants including yourself. You call the boss the next week and ask him if you're going to get the job. He says your hiring is in doubt. Or he says the hiring is still in question. What if he said during the whole application and interview process your chances were in doubt. Just like during the App-M game.

Get my drift?
xeyebrowx

One thing is for sure, we do know who won and we didn't hear decent writers saying App lucked into the outcome.

xoutofrepx

JohnStOnge
July 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
When I said the outcome was "in doubt" I wasn't referring to it looking to be doubtful that App State would win or that Michigan would win. I was using it as I think people often do to refer to the outcome being uncertain. But if some of you guys like terminology like "in question" or "uncertain" better they work just as well to get across what I was trying to get across.

During its glory run Appalachian State has had four games against BCS league schools. And the overall outcome is decidedly in favor of the BCS league schools. The fact that the one Appalachian State win among the four games was very close is just part of the picture.

It's like I think I said earlier: Appalachian State pulling off another shocker is possible. But it's not likely. What's happened recently in previous games against teams of that level does not portend well for them winning. Even against Michigan, I think they won in spite of the Wolverines having a solid edge at the line of scrimmage. That was my impression in watching the replay and I also think it's backed up by things like Michigan averaging 6.2 yards per rush to App State's 3.6 and getting 4 sacks to App State's 1 even though App State had a far more mobile quarterback and attempted to throw the ball less frequently.

LSU is probably going to be better up front than Michigan was. The belief is that it's going to have its best offensive line ever and most expect the defensive line to be at least as good as it was last season (Rickie Jean-Francois is thought by many to be better than Dorsey). It may be that they can overcome it by making some big plays with skill people but Appalachian State is probably going to get mauled pretty badly up front. There's probably going to be a big mismatch in that area.

But we shall see. And don't get me wrong; Appalachian State has obviously done very well against BCS league teams for a FCS team. I'm saying that it's very unlikely that they can pull off another shocker like last year but there is not now nor has there ever been a I-AA/FCS team I wouldn't say that about going into a situation like they're going to be going into and playing a team that's got the players LSU's got. LSU's going to be breaking in a new quarterback but I don't think it's going to matter because any reasonably decent quarterback is going to look good when the offensive line is dominating and the team can run the ball well.

ericsaid
July 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
To the people who are saying LSU won't take App lightly (IMO) are partly right and wrong. Will they take them lightly? no. But in their minds App is still an FCS team that should be spanked no problem, which will be their downfall in certain situations during the game.

This seemed to happen in the UM game especially after the first drive. It may have been that UM wasn't prepared but IMO the defense witnessed how the offense pushed App around wherever they needed and the defense started thinking that right off the get go. Until the pass play to dexter jackson

(IMO)

JohnStOnge
July 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM

I don't think I said App State lucked into the outcome either, though as a general matter I think there's usually some "chance" involved in any really close game so that a different bounce here or a different decision there could've changed the outcome regardless of who won. I think that, in every game, both sides have some bad luck and some good luck.

But if Michigan would've won, they wouldn't have lucked into the outcome either. If you have more first downs, more total yards, more rushing yards, more sacks, a greater yards per play average, and win the game it wasn't because you were luckier than the other team was.

813Jag
July 5th, 2008, 06:14 PM
To the people who are saying LSU won't take App lightly (IMO) are partly right and wrong. Will they take them lightly? no. But in their minds App is still an FCS team that should be spanked no problem, which will be their downfall in certain situations during the game.

This seemed to happen in the UM game especially after the first drive. It may have been that UM wasn't prepared but IMO the defense witnessed how the offense pushed App around wherever they needed and the defense started thinking that right off the get go. Until the pass play to dexter jackson

(IMO)
I don't see how you can say that. Both teams will be ready no doubt. They played you guys before and had to fight for the W. They won't have that train of thought. Sounds like that's what you're hoping for, I read that fromyou before.

ericsaid
July 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I don't see how you can say that. Both teams will be ready no doubt. They played you guys before and had to fight for the W. They won't have that train of thought. Sounds like that's what you're hoping for, I read that fromyou before.

It's not a hope, in the players minds, App will still be the inferior team. They may prepare the same for the game but they will still come in expecting for App not to play as strong as their other opponents. It's not that they won't try to overcome that(and they might), but i'm sure the players have thought that since they were recruited in high school, that smaller FCs schools wouldn't be able to play with them and hang tough.xreadx

JohnStOnge
July 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
It's not a hope, in the players minds, App will still be the inferior team. They may prepare the same for the game but they will still come in expecting for App not to play as strong as their other opponents. It's not that they won't try to overcome that(and they might), but i'm sure the players have thought that since they were recruited in high school, that smaller FCs schools wouldn't be able to play with them and hang tough.xreadx

On one hand, I can already see that the mentality among radio talk show hosts is that Appalachian State is a cupcake. So they'll be exposed to that. On the other hand, I fully expect the ESPN people to try to hype the game as much as they can with references to how Appalachian State beat Michigan last year.

I think the end result will be that, no, LSU will not have the kind of focus and intensity during preparation that they're going to have for Auburn or Florida. But I think they will have a lot more focus and intensity during preparation than a BCS league school normally has when preparing for a FCS opponent.

813Jag
July 6th, 2008, 06:48 AM
That kind of mindset comes from the coach, I'm far from an LSU fan but Les Miles will not not let that mindset happen. This is my point, in 2005 you guys put up a good fight against them, there are guys that was on that team that are Seniors on this team, don't think they don't know how dangerous you are. Maybe they view us (Southern) that way, but a 3 time champ? I don't think so.

Saint3333
July 6th, 2008, 09:15 AM
You know, I was thinking about this and there's another thing. This is going to be a nationally televised ESPN game and it's going to be hyped as a matchup of national champions. There is going to be a bunch of focus on how Appalachian State beat Michigan in 2007. Probably a bunch of highlights of the App State at Michigan game, etc. I think that by the time kickoff arrives there's going to be a real "let's slap Appalachian State down" mentality among LSU players. I think there's going to be an intensity on LSU's part that will be unique as compared to that of BCS league teams in previous matchups of this type.

I agree, ASU is going to get LSU's best shot. Look at what they did to VT last year. If ASU can't move the ball in the first quarter or even worse turn it over it could be a very bad day for ASU.

Hopefully some of the young WRs and o-linemen step up in the first game.

ericsaid
July 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM
That kind of mindset comes from the coach, I'm far from an LSU fan but Les Miles will not not let that mindset happen. This is my point, in 2005 you guys put up a good fight against them, there are guys that was on that team that are Seniors on this team, don't think they don't know how dangerous you are. Maybe they view us (Southern) that way, but a 3 time champ? I don't think so.

A three time champ in FCS is just that to them, sure they realize the magnitude of the game and will prepare the same and sure the coach will pound out of their heads the FBS and FCS difference, but if that doesn't happen there should be a few let downs by LSU in the game.xpeacex

McNeese75
July 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Again App. has nothing to loose, and LSU has alot to loose, like face, like Mich.App will play there game without the pressure of we have to win or we will never hear the end of it, LSU will play as if ther lives depend on it, remember these are kids still in there teens some of them, they still have a self esteem thing going on in ther minds,How can the walk to class on Monday if they loose to a FCS team, LSU kids will be playing with[we have to win mentality]And that might take them out of there game, and if they get behind, look out the wheels just might come off.

That is BS and you know it. ASU has the giant killer image after last year and if they get their azz busted in Baton Rouge it is going to knock some shine off that image. keep it within three scores and its respectable. Anything more than that and the cupcake talk will come back. (Same goes for McNeese at UNC)

udchuck
July 6th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Again App. has nothing to loose, and LSU has alot to loose, like face, like Mich.App will play there game without the pressure of we have to win or we will never hear the end of it, LSU will play as if ther lives depend on it, remember these are kids still in there teens some of them, they still have a self esteem thing going on in ther minds,How can the walk to class on Monday if they loose to a FCS team, LSU kids will be playing with[we have to win mentality]And that might take them out of there game, and if they get behind, look out the wheels just might come off.

xlolx xlolx Wishful thinking at best.:p

McNeese75
July 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I agree. The tigers will be ready for this game and I anticipate they will come out with a businesslike approach.

There seems to be an expectation that the new QB is going to be a problem for LSU. As previously mentioned, with the OL that will be in front of them and the running back stable that is capable of taking it to the house at any time, I would not expect a lot of problems at the QB position.

ericsaid
July 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM
To anyone who thinks there will be a major void at reciever with Batichon and Jackson gone, the void will have a chance to be filled. I was on tigerdroppings.com and stumbled on a post by Brian Quicks brother. In the post he says he runs a 4.42 and has a vertical of 41" and being 6'5 and 215 lbs. There is a lot of upside to him so he has the intangibles to step up and take care of business, but we'll see.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Is it true that the game is going to be nationally televised, or is that a rumor? If so, that is something that will definitly work against ASU, as far as the outcome of the game. LSU will NOT want to look bad on national TV and they will definitly be fired up if they are inundated with this "will LSU be the next victim?" talk that's in the media.

That, and on defense, there is generally more speed in the SEC than there is in the Big X. App. will not have the speed advantage over LSU that they had over UM.

By the way, how do you App. State people feel about your runningback situation?

Skjellyfetti
July 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM

http://appfan.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/thecatch.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2XGeAU8lc

The picture is a 4th down catch in the 4th quarter against JMU that allowed us to get the go-ahead touchdown. The ball was severely under thrown and he really saved our a$$es with a great catch.

Video is a 46-yard touchdown run from the championship game.

Devon Moore is very capable and I don't think we miss a beat with him. Josh Jackson will be his backup and didn't play a lot last year but averaged 5.4 yards a carry and had a 42-yard run against Western Carolina. He's a little more of a question mark.

ericsaid
July 6th, 2008, 03:53 PM
http://appfan.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/thecatch.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2XGeAU8lc

The picture is a 4th down catch in the 4th quarter against JMU that allowed us to get the go-ahead touchdown. The ball was severely under thrown and he really saved our a$$es with a great catch.

Video is a 46-yard touchdown run from the championship game.

Devon Moore is very capable and I don't think we miss a beat with him. Josh Jackson will be his backup and didn't play a lot last year but averaged 5.4 yards a carry and had a 42-yard run against Western Carolina. He's a little more of a question mark.

The transfer from virginia tech devin radford is 5-9 190 and runs a 4.31 and he's listed as a runningback on goasu.com so if he has a good enough fall camp he'll be getting some two back sets with devon i believe.

DLS
July 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
also roderick chisholm, rb from the legendary independence high in charlotte. should be another haas for us. prolly gonna be redshirted this season though.

AppState
July 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
And Robert Welton.

Grizaholic17
July 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM
-- Jim W., Reno, Nevada

As Aerosmith once said...."Dream On"

ericsaid
July 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM
also roderick chisholm, rb from the legendary independence high in charlotte. should be another haas for us. prolly gonna be redshirted this season though.

Anyone should be excited about him. He ran for 42 touchdowns and had two 300+ yards rushing games his senior year.xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xwhistlex xeekx xbowx

SoCon48
July 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
The transfer from virginia tech devin radford is 5-9 190 and runs a 4.31 and he's listed as a runningback on goasu.com so if he has a good enough fall camp he'll be getting some two back sets with devon i believe.

if he has a good enough fall camp he'll be getting some two back sets with devon i believe.

Maybe a few, but it takes away from our version of the spread. I say don't mess with it if it ain't broke.

SoCon48
July 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Anyone should be excited about him. He ran for 42 touchdowns and had two 300+ yards rushing games his senior year.xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xwhistlex xeekx xbowx

two 300+ yards rushing games his senior year.

Mmmmmm.!
Was one of them vs the Cincinatti high school they played?

ericsaid
July 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM
two 300+ yards rushing games his senior year.

Mmmmmm.!
Was one of them vs the Cincinatti high school they played?

No idea, but the high schools around Charlotte that Independance plays aren't bad football schools at all.

appmountaineer
July 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
if he has a good enough fall camp he'll be getting some two back sets with devon i believe.

Maybe a few, but it takes away from our version of the spread. I say don't mess with it if it ain't broke.

I dunno we ran split backs a lot during the playoffs and it really paid off. It may be worth it to mix it up now and then during the regular season.

GGASU
July 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Is it true that the game is going to be nationally televised, or is that a rumor? If so, that is something that will definitly work against ASU, as far as the outcome of the game. LSU will NOT want to look bad on national TV and they will definitly be fired up if they are inundated with this "will LSU be the next victim?" talk that's in the media.

That, and on defense, there is generally more speed in the SEC than there is in the Big X. App. will not have the speed advantage over LSU that they had over UM.

Yes ...ESPN is covering the game....Gameday????

Not worried about the running back situation at all. The only spot I am worried about is the OL. We have a lot of experienced players on the offensive line, and if they can become as solid as last year, then the Mountaineers will be very very good.

Little worried about that transfer you guys got from Ohio State at QB. If he can be as elusive as Foster than we will have a hell of a game in Statesboro. I hope you guys give Georgia all they want and MORE!!

ASU 37-LSU 30 (I had us winning by more, but Tharrington would have stopped a couple of drives)

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Yes ...ESPN is covering the game....Gameday????

Not worried about the running back situation at all. The only spot I am worried about is the OL. We have a lot of experienced players on the offensive line, and if they can become as solid as last year, then the Mountaineers will be very very good.

Little worried about that transfer you guys got from Ohio State at QB. If he can be as elusive as Foster than we will have a hell of a game in Statesboro. I hope you guys give Georgia all they want and MORE!!

ASU 37-LSU 30 (I had us winning by more, but Tharrington would have stopped a couple of drives)

Malcolm bennett will fill the void, he more lean and faster. Gordy witte should be solid too, from what I read during the spring practices they were impressive.

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I dunno we ran split backs a lot during the playoffs and it really paid off. It may be worth it to mix it up now and then during the regular season.

Yeah, thats the set Devon Moore ran for his 46 yard touchdown from I do believe.

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 08:51 AM

If you noticed in the Richmond game, in which we racked up 49 points, it yielded us only one big play and that was on a called Armanti run. We actually had more big plays from the no RB formation than with two.
Too, if you noticd in the Michigan game, all the TD's and most big plays came with Armanti alone in the backfield.

Much of the time in the Richmond game,when we set up with two RB's, we shifted one of them to the slot before the ball was snapped.

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM
If you noticed in the Richmond game, in which we racked up 49 points, it yielded us only one big play and that was on a called Armanti run. We actually had more big plays from the no RB formation than with two.
Too, if you noticd in the Michigan game, all the TD's and most big plays came with Armanti alone in the backfield.

Much of the time in the Richmond game,when we set up with two RB's, we shifted one of them to the slot before the ball was snapped.

55, and the Play that Trey Elder ran in the National Championship for a touchdown was from a two back set, and the play that Devon Moore ran for 46 yards was from a two back set.

A lot of big gaines were also picked up earlier in the season from that formation when Trey was starting because he didn't have the elusiveness of Armanti.

ericsaid
July 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
oh right!!!