PDA

View Full Version : JMU, You're Officially Old!

IndianaAppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Congrats to James Madison University! The school is 100 years old now!

I like it that ASU is playing JMU again this year. They seem to be more like Appalachian State, my alma mater, than any other school I've heard of, in terms of size, academic offerings, mission, mountainous setting, quality, undergraduate focus, etc. Even WCU doesn't seem as similar to App as JMU, considering the size difference and difference in academic programs.

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM

I like it that ASU is playing JMU again this year. They seem to be more like Appalachian State, my alma mater, than any other school I've heard of, in terms of size, academic offerings, mission, mountainous setting, quality, undergraduate focus, etc. Even WCU doesn't seem as similar to App as JMU, considering the size difference and difference in academic programs.

This should be on the smack board since you just insulted JMUxsmiley_wix xlolx

Appaholic
July 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Congrats JMU....

IndianaAppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM

This coming from a guy whose alma mater brags that it's "like the Harvard of the South, or something," when it doesn't have a medical school, a law school, or more than a handful of Ph.D's. Heck, it's not even the best liberal arts school in the SoCon (that would be Davidson).

xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

This is all joking, Furman people. Save the App State hate. Yes, Furman is a great school, blah, blah, blah. Some of my best friends went there and they're all doing pretty dang well in their careers. Yada yada yada.

Anyway, my point was that JMU and ASU seem remarkably similar. If they were in the same state, I imagine it would be hard for a high school senior to decide between the two.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Anyway, my point was that JMU and ASU seem remarkably similar. If they were in the same state, I imagine it would be hard for a high school senior to decide between the two.

Perhaps, but if you're a guy, well App St. may be HOT HOT HOT, but JMU girls are HOT HOT HOT. You decide. xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

ButlerGSU
July 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Congrats JMU

Georgia Southern celebrated turning 100 last year so I know it is a special time for any campus - Enjoy it!

DFW HOYA
July 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM

Congratulations.

(Then again, over at W&M I'm guessing that's no big deal. When they turned 100, George Washington was president.)

IndianaAppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Perhaps, but if you're a guy, well App St. may be HOT HOT HOT, but JMU girls are HOT HOT HOT. You decide. xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Well, I knew many a fine-looking woman in my days at App State, but then I went & married an Elon chick! xsmiley_wix

I hope JMU knows better than to extend its 100-year celebration past the year of its anniversary. ASU turned 100 in 1999. Even though I wasn't a freshman until fall 2000 (8 months after '99), ASU still had 100-year banners all over campus. The last one didn't come down until my junior or senior year! (Maybe it's just part of ASU's nature to linger on our historic moments long after the people around us care to hear about it. Michigan game, anyone? Three titles?);)

ButlerGSU, has Ga. Southern put the 100-year stuff away yet?

DFW HOYA, if JMU were a man, Willard Scott would be telling America about his "key to longevity" right about now. If W&M were a man, he'd be challenging old-age records from Biblical times. xsmiley_wix

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
This coming from a guy whose alma mater brags that it's "like the Harvard of the South, or something," when it doesn't have a medical school, a law school, or more than a handful of Ph.D's. Heck, it's not even the best liberal arts school in the SoCon (that would be Davidson).

xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

This is all joking, Furman people. Save the App State hate. Yes, Furman is a great school, blah, blah, blah. Some of my best friends went there and they're all doing pretty dang well in their careers. Yada yada yada.

Harvardxconfusedx nevah huhd of itxrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Furman used to have a law school in the 20s. Gaining PhD and Masters programs would force us to drop the "liberal arts" college moniker and with it a bunch of money. Davidson's in the same boat.

AppStFan76
July 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Perhaps, but if you're a guy, well App St. may be HOT HOT HOT, but JMU girls are NOT NOT NOT. You decide. xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

Fixed it for ya!!xlolx xlolx

bandl
July 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Fixed it for ya!!xlolx xlolx

Wow. Neat. That was original.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Touche!

We didn't want your dirty 'ol mountaineer hands on them anyway. ;)

I-AA Fan
July 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM

He just needed a way to start another App State thread. JMU's age really means nothing to him.

IndianaAppMan
July 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
He just needed a way to start another App State thread. JMU's age really means nothing to him.

So do you know this by jumping into my head and reading my mind xrolleyesx xeyebrowx ? The truth is that I didn't open this thread to start another rah-rah-ASU rambling. I did it just to generate discussion. Besides, fans of multiple teams have responded on this thread. That's the way it should be.

App State fans regularly start new threads on other programs, or on neutral topics. That's exactly what this thread was about.

Likewise, has anybody noticed how many of the App State-oriented threads are started by non-App fans. Two current examples just from the past few days: First, UNHWildcats started the one about SI's Stewart Mandel's "Mailbag" response to App State-LSU. Second, an Auburn fan (Freeport) started the one about the '99 Auburn-App State game.