PDA

View Full Version : NHL FA starts--Here Come the Hawks, the Mighty BLACKHAWKS!!!

ISUMatt
July 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Today the Chicago Blackhawks sign D Brian Campbell to a 8 yr $56.8 mil contract, that followed up the signing of G Christobal Huet for 4 yrs $22.5 mil...Dale Tallon and Rocky Wirtz have shown they are committed to winning and this will be an exciting season indeed as we pick up the best D and G in the FA market!!!

TheValleyRaider
July 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
8 years is a long time, especially for a guy like Campbell, who while a good defenseman, isn't quite worth that kind of money. Oh well, that's what happens in the FA market

Good signings for the Hawks, certainly. It'll be nice to see Chicago back in the playoffs again, they certainly seem to be on the right track to get there xnodx

UNHWildCats
July 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
Peter Chiarelli just held a conference call to announce the signing of Michael Ryder......

Whats that sound we hear?

Bruins fans growling cause there not getting any closer to joining the Sox, Pats and Celtics as World Champs this decade.

ISUMatt
July 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM
8 years is a long time, especially for a guy like Campbell, who while a good defenseman, isn't quite worth that kind of money. Oh well, that's what happens in the FA market

Good signings for the Hawks, certainly. It'll be nice to see Chicago back in the playoffs again, they certainly seem to be on the right track to get there xnodx

8 years is a long time but it was a bidding war vs Atlanta apparently and thats what it took to get the job done!!!

ASUMountaineer
July 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I hope you're right. It would serve hockey well to have the Blackhawks back in the playoffs.

TheValleyRaider
July 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
8 years is a long time but it was a bidding war vs Atlanta apparently and thats what it took to get the job done!!!

My team's been there (1994-2002)

Still haven't won a series since 1993

At least this time they might finally be rebuilding the right way. It'll take a few years, but there might be real light at the end of this tunnel

Isles sign D Mark Streit
5 yrs, $20.5 mil

93henfan
July 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah, the Blackhawks need to get going again. I was talking to a buddy of mine from Chicago about sports a few weeks back and he said, yep, I'm all Chicago: Bears, White Sox, and Bulls, baby. I asked, do you like the Blackhawks too? He said, oh yeah, them too. I forgot we had a hockey team.

AshevilleApp2
July 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
It'd be great to see Chicago have a strong team. I'm partial to the Original 6.

89Hen
July 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
that followed up the signing of G Christobal Huet for 4 yrs $22.5 mil...
xeyebrowx I've been out of it for a week on NHL... who do the Caps have left if Huet signed with the Hawks? xconfusedx

TheValleyRaider
July 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
xeyebrowx I've been out of it for a week on NHL... who do the Caps have left if Huet signed with the Hawks? xconfusedx

They did sign Jose Theodore...

AshevilleApp2
July 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Wings make a splash today.

http://redwings.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367553

AshevilleApp2
July 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
I just saw that the Red Wings signed Marian Hossa to a one year deal. Nice.

89Hen
July 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
They did sign Jose Theodore...
xeyebrowx Was he cheaper than Huet?

whitey
July 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM

Not really, but they got him for less years.

Huet: 4 yrs/17m.
Theo: 2 yrs/9m.

tribe_pride
July 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

From what I read (from the Caps), Huet told the Caps the offer he wanted, they said ok and then he went back on his word for more money elsewhere. Also a sad day by losing Olie the goalie but that was inevitable.

From: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Capitals-GM-reveals-Huet-talks-Theodore-still-p;_ylt=AkE_YJ6XTNrvwOmT_kh8XndivLYF?urn=nhl,91388

"The process with Cristobal has been a long one," said GM George McPhee on a conference call this evening, following the Capitals' signing of free agent goalie Jose Theodore to a two-year deal. "We basically matched their demands, their requests, and still didn't get it done before we got to free agency. The day after the season, we offered three years at $3.7 [million], and they responded about a month later with their number, which was three years at five, and we said that makes sense. If you come down 10 or 15 percent or we come up 10 or 15 percent we can get a deal done. We came up to $4.3 [million], and they didn't come down. We came up to $4.6 [million], and they didn't come down.

"So we finally said, OK, we'll do the three years at five [million], and they said, 'We'll check out free agency,'" said McPhee, who said the Capitals actually went above that final number during negotiations today.

tribe_pride
July 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Not really, but they got him for less years.

Huet: 4 yrs/17m.
Theo: 2 yrs/9m.

4 years 22.5 million for Huet

whitey
July 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM

Yeah....TSN's FA tracker has it 4/17. My bad.

89Hen
July 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
That's a lot of ching for a guy who was just 'good'.

ISUMatt
July 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Rumor has it Mats Sundin is deciding between The Red Wings, Rangers, or if he just wants the cash, the Canucks

onbison09
July 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
If Sundin signs with the Wings they can start etching the names on the Cup right now. Also it's a sad day to be a Stars fan when we signed Sean Avery to 15.5 million dollar deal over 4 years. WTF?