PDA

View Full Version : Samford Officially In The SoCon

GeauxLions94
July 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
They'll do OK in some sports. Unfortunately, football won't be one of them.

Samford Officially In The SoCon (http://samfordsports.cstv.com/genrel/070108aaa.html)

SU DOG
July 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Don't be too sure of your guess. Pat Sullivan has been bringing in some very good players. I won't predict anything record-wise now, as being competitive may take some time, but Samford will surprise some teams sooner than expected.

APPALACHIANstate
July 1st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Maybe not right away, but getting beat on for a while makes you work harder and appreciate success more. Look at Western Carolina, they will be doing great in the next couple of years.

catamount man
July 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM
Maybe not right away, but getting beat on for a while makes you work harder and appreciate success more. Look at Western Carolina, they will be doing great in the next couple of years.

You finally post something I can agree on. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Cleets
July 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
What is this "Samford" you speak of..? xeyebrowx

citdog
July 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
WELCOME! TIME TO CHANGE YOUR MASCOT. ONLY ONE SET OF BULLDOGS IN THE SOCON.

catamount man
July 1st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Welcome aboard BULLDOGS. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

citdog
July 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Welcome aboard BULLDOGS. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

DON'T YOU HAVE A GAY PRIDE RALLY to SUPPORT?

Lionsrking
July 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
They'll do OK in some sports. Unfortunately, football won't be one of them.

Samford Officially In The SoCon (http://samfordsports.cstv.com/genrel/070108aaa.html)

GL, why don't you sweet talk your old pals at Samford and see if they'll play us a home-and-home???

By the way, I saw them practice during the spring and thought they looked pretty solid.

catamount man
July 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
DON'T YOU HAVE A GAY PRIDE RALLY to SUPPORT?

Yep, and they are all card carrying members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

citdog
July 1st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Yep, and they are all card carrying members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

enlisted. figures.

The Military Order of the Stars and Bars is where my membership is.

james_lawfirm
July 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM

DanDan:

Not sure where your allegiance lies nor how much of the above message you intended as sarcasm. I see at least 5 likely possibilities:

1) You're a WCU fan & you were not sarcastic. Talk about the rose colored glasses approach. Wow! Getting beat year in and year out makes for a self fulfilling prophesy. To turn WCU around will take stern measures & a huge effort. Maybe they will & maybe they won't. We'll see. At least they'll probably beat Samford.

2) You're an App fan & your message drips with sarcasm. Yeah, I'd agree with you.

3) You're a WCU fan & you were being sarcastic. That's a pretty realistic viewpoint too.

4) You're an App fan but your message was not sarcastic. Man, you may be the most naive poster here. Ever.

5) You're a Samford fan (or some other SoCon school) and you are in for a rude awakening in the SoCon.

My monies on #2 or #3. Which is it?

CID1990
July 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Looking forward to seeing Samford sneak up on a couple schools in football this year.

APPALACHIANstate
July 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM
DanDan:

Not sure where your allegiance lies nor how much of the above message you intended as sarcasm. I see at least 5 likely possibilities:

1) You're a WCU fan & you were not sarcastic. Talk about the rose colored glasses approach. Wow! Getting beat year in and year out makes for a self fulfilling prophesy. To turn WCU around will take stern measures & a huge effort. Maybe they will & maybe they won't. We'll see. At least they'll probably beat Samford.

2) You're an App fan & your message drips with sarcasm. Yeah, I'd agree with you.

3) You're a WCU fan & you were being sarcastic. That's a pretty realistic viewpoint too.

4) You're an App fan but your message was not sarcastic. Man, you may be the most naive poster here. Ever.

5) You're a Samford fan (or some other SoCon school) and you are in for a rude awakening in the SoCon.

My monies on #2 or #3. Which is it?

I will be a senior at ASU this fall. I love Appalachian Football, however, I have seen how much some kids can benefit from being on a dedicated, winning, hardworking team. It can effect their academics also. Graduating more people from college (especially in the NW NC area) = something I want.

Jiggs
July 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM

Let's see....Samford, founded 1841. The Citadel, founded 1842.

We'll keep the Bulldog name.

gophoenix
July 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Welcome aboard guys.....

I don't think you'll be as bad off to start with as Elon was, or VMI was typically the few years before they left.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
Samford will be fine eventually. Name coach in a football heavy state. Most fans I've talked to seem to think they will probably take it on the chin a few years and then be competitive.

Elon, many of you remember, got absolutely sandblasted for years before having a winning season.

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Welcome Samfordxthumbsupx

http://rushthecourt.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/southernconferencelogo.jpg

1936 - The Citadel, Davidson, Furman
1971 - Appalachian State
1976 - Chattanooga, Western Carolina
1991 - Georgia Southern
1997 - UNC Greensboro, Wofford
1998 - College of Charleston
2003 - Elon
2008- Samford

xthumbsupx

ElonPride
July 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Elon, many of you remember, got absolutely sandblasted for years before having a winning season.

As you remember, my fine Furman fan, Elon came into to I-AA in '99 firing. Our first win that season was Furman :) .....after '00 we started getting sandblasted. Hung tough in many sports, but football really suffered.....

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
As you remember, my fine Furman fan, Elon came into to I-AA in '99 firing. Our first win that season was Furman :) .....after '00 we started getting sandblasted. Hung tough in many sports, but football really suffered.....

When you entered the Southern Conference in 2003 it wasn't pretty. That was also the last time you beat us :)

ElonPride
July 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
When you entered the Southern Conference in 2003 it wasn't pretty. That was also the last time you beat us :)

Oh yes, I am very well aware of that......and I'm also aware of the time you put up 35 points in the 1st quarter on us!!!!!

Hopefully those days are long gone! xsmiley_wix

IndianaAppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 09:34 AM

Eh,xoopsx ... sure there's room for two Bulldog squads in the SoCon. The SEC does it (Miss State & Georgia), and for that matter, they have two Tiger teams (Auburn & LSU). BUT, coming from your perspective, citdog, it's up to The Citadel to establish who's the "Top Dog," so to speak, like Georgia has compared to MSU in the SEC.

By the way, citdog, thanks for donating for AGS this month

AshevilleApp2
July 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Welcome Samford.

terrierbob
July 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Looking forward to playing you.

R.A.
July 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
So, does this mean that those other football-less SoCon schools will be taking the field soon? College of Charleston, Davidson...

Appaholic
July 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

yep...

citdog
July 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
yep...

it's still a BEAUTIFUL FLAG.xnodx xnodx

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
So, does this mean that those other football-less SoCon schools will be taking the field soon? College of Charleston, Davidson...

Davidson takes the field in the P(ansy)FL:D

Sorry to all you other PFLer's. I only think of you that way when it comes to the Mildcatsxnodx

Appaholic
July 2nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
What is this "Samford" you speak of..? xeyebrowx

(I guess the "son" would be citadel...xeyebrowx )

james_lawfirm
July 2nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
I will be a senior at ASU this fall. I love Appalachian Football, however, I have seen how much some kids can benefit from being on a dedicated, winning, hardworking team. It can effect their academics also. Graduating more people from college (especially in the NW NC area) = something I want.

Ahh. #4.

The Cats
July 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Welcome Samfordxthumbsupx

http://rushthecourt.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/southernconferencelogo.jpg

1936 - The Citadel, Davidson, Furman
1971 - Appalachian State
1991 - Georgia Southern
2003 - Elon
2008- Samford

xthumbsupx

Davidson has a new entry date.....

1936 - The Citadel, Furman
1971 - Appalachian State
1991 - Georgia Southern, Davidson
2003 - Elon
2008- Samford

IndianaAppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM

Dude, football suffered so bad that there was more cheering at Elon's halftime than there was during the game. It was so bad that people went to games just to see their friends, not to watch the game. Who was crowned homecoming queen mattered more than who won the game. (I know this from the Elon home games I attended back when my wife, an Elon alum, and I were dating.)

No disrespect, but I wondered for a while how Elon was able to get into the SoCon so quickly after joining the Big South. Their students didn't even know what they were getting into. To commemorate Elon's new membership in the SoCon, students printed t-shirts that said "Movin' on Up" On the back, the shirts had with a FOOTBALL helmet for each school in the SoCon, even CofC, Davidson, & UNCG! My wife still has that shirt and I try not to tell her how ridiculous it is.

Thank goodness Elon proved me wrong. They've proven themselves as an ideal addition to the SoCon. They're a great new geographic rival for my team, too. What I failed to realize was how committed they were to improvement all along. Time will tell if WCU & Samford will have a similar story. Will they commit to improve like Elon did, or will they spend the next fifteen years fiddling their thumbs like Duke football has done, making efforts too halfazz to really improve until finally deciding enough is enough?

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Davidson has a new entry date.....

1936 - The Citadel, Furman
1971 - Appalachian State
1991 - Georgia Southern, Davidson
2003 - Elon
2008- Samford

Listen I hate the bastards, but give them a break. They left for three years. I mean, really, did anyone even notice they were gonexlolx

IndianaAppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM

Like OL FU said, Davidson is happy in the PFL, for some reason.

As far as I'm aware, CofC has no interest in adding football. For one thing, in historic downtown Charleston, there is absolutely nowhere to put a stadium, meaning it would have to be miles away in Mt. Pleasant, James Island, or North Charleston. That would KILL attendance. CofC students have plenty of things to do without football, anyway. It's in one of the best colonial cities in the U.S., and they've got the beach right there, not to mention the music scene. It's not as though football is something needed for increasing exposure. Basketball already does that, not to mention Charleston's tourism and the fact that CofC has been featured in numerous movies such as The Patriot.

There was a long discussion about UNCG & football about a month ago in its own thread. Simply put, if they ever were to have football, it would be at LEAST a decade away because there's just not enough interest.

I personally like it that there's 12 overall members for most sports (allowing for two six-team divisions). I also prefer the nine-member structure for FB. Everyone plays everyone, with four home games & four away. That wouldn't happen in a 12-member football conference.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM

As far as I'm aware, CofC has no interest in adding football. For one thing, in historic downtown Charleston, there is absolutely nowhere to put a stadium, meaning it would have to be miles away in Mt. Pleasant, James Island, or North Charleston. That would KILL attendance. CofC students have plenty of things to do without football, anyway. It's in one of the best colonial cities in the U.S., and they've got the beach right there, not to mention the music scene. It's not as though football is something needed for increasing exposure. Basketball already does that, not to mention Charleston's tourism and the fact that CofC has been featured in numerous movies such as The Patriot.

There was a long discussion about UNCG & football about a month ago in its own thread. Simply put, if they ever were to have football, it would be at LEAST a decade away because there's just not enough interest.

I personally like it that there's 12 overall members for most sports (allowing for two six-team divisions). I also prefer the nine-member structure for FB. Everyone plays everyone, with four home games & four away. That wouldn't happen in a 12-member football conference.

Don't mean to be a pain, but there's already football in Charleston.

I just wish they'd mix up the basketball divisions. The SoCon south is a far tougher row to hoe than the north is. Other than that, I like the way the SoCon is set up.

citdog
July 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM

YOUR DAMN STRAIGHT THERE IS!

54-51

Mountaineer
July 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Welcome aboard Samford.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5607/cryingbaby1stbdayec9.jpg

:D

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
YOUR DAMN STRAIGHT THERE IS!

54-51

One red turd coming your wayxlolx

CharlestonAppFan
July 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM

As OL FU said, there is football down here, albeit it is at The Citadel; Charleston Southern (N. Chuck) has football too. C of C's baseball stadium is right over the bridge in Mt. Pleasant (where I live BTW) and it's only about 5 miles from downtown, not "miles" away xeyebrowx (only because some big river is in the way :) ). James Island is probably closer to downtown too, but there isn't anything on that side of town except the Folly Beach hippies :D Not rippin ya Indy, just gettin your facts a little more clearer xthumbsupx

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
As OL FU said, there is football down here, albeit it is at The Citadel; Charleston Southern (N. Chuck) has football too. C of C's baseball stadium is right over the bridge in Mt. Pleasant (where I live BTW) and it's only about 5 miles from downtown, not "miles" away xeyebrowx (only because some big river is in the way :) ). James Island is probably closer to downtown too, but there isn't anything on that side of town except the Folly Beach hippies :D Not rippin ya Indy, just gettin your facts a little more clearer xthumbsupx

Just to clear things up PaladinFan said that. I realize all our helmets look the same:) But Paladinfan appears to be an upstanding representative of the Purple and White and a all around good guy. xnodx

I wouldn't want to tarnish his reputation by having him confused with me:D

The Cats
July 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Listen I hate the bastards, but give them a break. They left for three years. I mean, really, did anyone even notice they were gonexlolx

Heck.... every head football coach in the SoCon noticed...... an almost sure win off the schedule. Now the fans... that's another story. xwhistlex

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Heck.... every head football coach in the SoCon noticed...... an almost sure win off the schedule. Now the fans... that's another story. xwhistlex

And that is why I hate them . Not that I enjoyed beating them by 50 points every year but at least it would be revenge time for the misery they inflict during basket ball season.

The Cats
July 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM

citdog wins a free, one year membership in the Samford "Bullpup Club

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/samf/graphics/auto/HoJoBPup.gif

IndianaAppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM

No, really? I never knew that. xrolleyesx Was there anything in my previous post that showed otherwise?

Just to clear things up PaladinFan said that. I realize all our helmets look the same:) But Paladinfan appears to be an upstanding representative of the Purple and White and a all around good guy. xnodx

my bad

What was unclear? I made it clear that I was talking about CofC, not The Citadel or Chuck South. My brother went to CofC and has lived there for ten years. Every time I've asked him whether CofC would get football, he said there's no way. Maybe things have changed recently, but everyone I've ever known from Charleston, including CofC students & alums, have expressed zero interest in college football at CofC.

By the way, I realize that James Island & Mt. Pleasant are only a few miles away, but that's far enough to keep plenty of students away from the games. The fact that Central Florida played off-campus hurt its attendance for years until the new on-campus stadium opened last year. Heck, until 2005, App State wasn't even drawing capacity crowds, and their stadium's smack-dab in walking distance from all dorms, AND they still had a winning team, although marginally (6-5). Imagine how bad attendance would have been if Peacock had approved a new stadium to be on ASU's new property off Daniel Boone Drive!

How's CofC going to draw those fans on the fence, especially when they have options like the beach, the music scene, the party scene, and a much more established brand of football is already played at The Citadel? College football is very, very expensive, even for FCS teams. CofC would have to make sure there's enough interest to support it before taking that kind of financial risk.

IndianaAppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM

my bad

AppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
So, it is actually happening....

gophoenix
July 2nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
So, it is actually happening....

xrolleyesx

UNHWildCats
July 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Maybe Samford can shock the world and win the SoCon title this year lol

SU DOG
July 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
I can certainly remember Samford shocking New Hampshire 29-13 in the 1991 1AA playoffs. LOL

UNHWildCats
July 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Oh come on, no need to make me cry :@

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Dude, football suffered so bad that there was more cheering at Elon's halftime than there was during the game. It was so bad that people went to games just to see their friends, not to watch the game. Who was crowned homecoming queen mattered more than who won the game. (I know this from the Elon home games I attended back when my wife, an Elon alum, and I were dating.)

No disrespect, but I wondered for a while how Elon was able to get into the SoCon so quickly after joining the Big South. Their students didn't even know what they were getting into. To commemorate Elon's new membership in the SoCon, students printed t-shirts that said "Movin' on Up" On the back, the shirts had with a FOOTBALL helmet for each school in the SoCon, even CofC, Davidson, & UNCG! My wife still has that shirt and I try not to tell her how ridiculous it is.

Thank goodness Elon proved me wrong. They've proven themselves as an ideal addition to the SoCon. They're a great new geographic rival for my team, too. What I failed to realize was how committed they were to improvement all along. Time will tell if WCU & Samford will have a similar story. Will they commit to improve like Elon did, or will they spend the next fifteen years fiddling their thumbs like Duke football has done, making efforts too halfazz to really improve until finally deciding enough is enough?

OK. So the Elon rehab is almost finished. Now we start on the Bullpups.

GreatAppSt
July 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM

xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
xthumbsupx

It all depends on when they actually adopted the name though. For instance, Furman (founded 1826) didn't take on the name Paladins for the football team until, I think, the early 60s.

We are the only school in the country to lay claim to that moniker, though, so no real worries about who was first.

citdog
July 3rd, 2008, 10:46 AM

xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

HOWARD COLLEGE FOUNDED IN 1841.....NOT SAMFORD UNTIL MUCH...MUCH....MUCH LATER!

IT'S OUR NAME AND WE'LL BEAT YOU SO BAD IN BIRMINGHAM THIS YEAR THERE WILL BE NO MORE DISCUSSION ABOUT WHO THE "REAL DOGS" ARE

Jiggs
July 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

HOWARD COLLEGE FOUNDED IN 1841.....NOT SAMFORD UNTIL MUCH...MUCH....MUCH LATER!

South Carolina Military Academy founded in 1842. Not The Citadel until much later.

P.S. Thanks for sponsoring this month. I recognize the two distinguished genterlmen on the far right of the banner, but who is the gentleman to the left of those two?

citdog
July 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
South Carolina Military Academy founded in 1842. Not The Citadel until much later.

P.S. Thanks for sponsoring this month. I recognize the two distinguished genterlmen on the far right of the banner, but who is the gentleman to the left of those two?

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE CITADEL. THE OFFICIAL NAME IS...

THE CITADEL, THE MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROILNA

THAT IS GENERAL JOHNSON HAGOOD CSA THE CITADEL 1846 AND THE GENTLEMAN WHO OUR FOOTBALL STADIUM IS NAMED AFTER.

james_lawfirm
July 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Welcome aboard Samford.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5607/cryingbaby1stbdayec9.jpg

:D

Now, that's funny. Rep points, rep points.

whoanellie
July 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
welcome!

Jiggs
July 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE CITADEL. THE OFFICIAL NAME IS...

THE CITADEL, THE MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROILNA.

"The name of the college was officially changed in 1910 to The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. The word, "Academy", had become synonymous with secondary schools and the public had the misconception that the South Carolina Military Academy was a preparatory school."

http://www3.citadel.edu/brief-history

Skjellyfetti
July 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
"The name of the college was officially changed in 1910 to The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. The word, "Academy", had become synonymous with secondary schools and the public had the misconception that the South Carolina Military Academy was a preparatory school."

http://www3.citadel.edu/brief-history

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2882/owned9wz.jpg

citdog
July 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2882/owned9wz.jpg

"the building was called THE CITADEL" when asked where does your son go to school the answer was and is "he goes to THE CITADEL"

no one called it SCMA or The Military College of South Carolina. it has always been and will always be THE CITADEL.

Skjellyfetti
July 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
"the building was called THE CITADEL" when asked where does your son go to school the answer was and is "he goes to THE CITADEL"

no one called it SCMA or The Military College of South Carolina. it has always been and will always be THE CITADEL.

Not according to citadel.edu. Perhaps they are confused? xconfusedx xlolx

citdog
July 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Not according to citadel.edu. Perhaps they are confused? xconfusedx xlolx

perhaps you should actually read the first three paragraphs of the link.

Jiggs
July 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM

"I was born at Abbeville, South Carolina, on Oct. 11, 1864. In October, 1882, I was appointed a cadet of the South Carolina Military Academy, at Charleston, S.C., of which I received the diploma in 1886, having completed the regular course of study."

From the book The Separable Prefixes in Anglo-Saxon By Thomas Perrin Harrison.

citdog
July 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
"I was born at Abbeville, South Carolina, on Oct. 11, 1864. In October, 1882, I was appointed a cadet of the South Carolina Military Academy, at Charleston, S.C., of which I received the diploma in 1886, having completed the regular course of study."

From the book The Separable Prefixes in Anglo-Saxon By Thomas Perrin Harrison.

in a building called THE CITADEL. xrulesx

Skjellyfetti
July 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
in a building called THE CITADEL. xrulesx

xlolx xnodx xrulesx

CID1990
July 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
You guys need to read it a little more closely.

The Citadel was always the name of the school itself. The name change that is referred to to the change from the South Carolina Military Academy to the Military College of South Carolina.

The technical name for the school was The South Carolina Military Academy at The Citadel. This is just like The United States Military Academy at West Point. GET IT?

Also, there was a brother school to The Citadel in Columbia. It was founded at about the same time and it was called The Arsenal. It was burned along with the rest of Columbia by Sherman's forces and never reopened.

The institutions were referred to as The Citadel and The Arsenal from the time of their founding.

Jiggs
July 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
"Enos Ballentine grew up in rural Berkeley County and attended schools there. He was awarded a scholarship to the South Carolina Military Academy now known as The Citadel, graduating on June 30, 1902."

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ballentinebranches/branches/vol_1_2.pdf

CID1990
July 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
"Enos Ballentine grew up in rural Berkeley County and attended schools there. He was awarded a scholarship to the South Carolina Military Academy now known as The Citadel, graduating on June 30, 1902."

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ballentinebranches/branches/vol_1_2.pdf

You are taking information in a genealogical newsletter as evidence? I am sure I know more about my own school's history than Mrs. Ballentine. Keep on Googling there, Cleatus.

I'll be out having a beer while you surf the net attempting to win an Internet argument.

CID1990
July 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
BTW.... I take back all the nice things I have been saying about Samford coming to the SoCon. I look forward to your on-field destruction at the hands of the South Carolina Military Academy.

SU DOG
July 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
"On field destruction" Hmmm. We're so scared we've made The Citadel our HOMECOMING opponent. LOL

Jiggs
July 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
BTW.... I take back all the nice things I have been saying about Samford coming to the SoCon. I look forward to your on-field destruction at the hands of the South Carolina Military Academy.

Bring it on, bellhops. Howard College vs. South Carolina Military Academy.

Peems
July 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM

So you admit it's not The Citadel:D ;)

CID1990
July 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
So you admit it's not The Citadel:D ;)

According to some Samford fans, apparently not.

Eyes of Old Main
July 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
"On field destruction" Hmmm. We're so scared we've made The Citadel our HOMECOMING opponent. LOL

Yeah, but you had to pick someone. Don't worry, Samford is everyone else's homecoming.

Jerbearasu
July 4th, 2008, 06:43 PM
It all depends on when they actually adopted the name though. For instance, Furman (founded 1826) didn't take on the name Paladins for the football team until, I think, the early 60s.

We are the only school in the country to lay claim to that moniker, though, so no real worries about who was first.

Before weren't you the Furman University Christian Knights until the administration realized what that spelled out? Either way I still love your chant that you have now... "FU All the time!!!"

CID1990
July 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I think Paladins is one of the coolest mascot names in sports.

It's just too bad it belongs to Furple.

Dinman31
July 4th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Before weren't you the Furman University Christian Knights until the administration realized what that spelled out? Either way I still love your chant that you have now... "FU All the time!!!"

NO! Football was the Purple Hurricane...baseball the Hornets.

OL FU
July 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Fun to consider, but fortunately or unfortunately, totally false.

Sorry

OL FU
July 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM

I agree with your first sentencexthumbsupx

SoCon48
July 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Occasionally Paladin leaves his gun at home. e.g. Cullowhee 2005. Happens to the best of us.

OL FU
July 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Occasionally Paladin leaves his gun at home. e.g. Cullowhee 2005. Happens to the best of us.

One of my favorite TV shows as a kidxthumbsupx

jonmac
July 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah, but you had to pick someone. Don't worry, Samford is everyone else's homecoming.

Hmm, not so fast Eyes, The Citadel is App's homecoming too. Who said patsies were always scheduled for homecoming. Or maybe they are.xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

citdog
July 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hmm, not so fast Eyes, The Citadel is App's homecoming too. Who said patsies were always scheduled for homecoming. Or maybe they are.xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

and what a homecoming it will be. gonna send yosef home crying after he plays ned beattys role!

jonmac
July 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
and what a homecoming it will be. gonna send yosef home crying after he plays ned beattys role!

Citdog, you sure talk about that stuff an awful lot. Schmeckles and all. Hmm...jk. Probably will be one of the better homecoming games of record. You gonna make the trip? For both Sammy and ASU?

citdog
July 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Citdog, you sure talk about that stuff an awful lot. Schmeckles and all. Hmm...jk. Probably will be one of the better homecoming games of record. You gonna make the trip? For both Sammy and ASU?

i'll be in boone on 4 October, as a guest of Appaholic who will try not to vomit.

jonmac
July 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM
i'll be in boone on 4 October, as a guest of Appaholic who will try not to vomit.

Well, you know, we've all been told on here that you're more citpup in person. :D

ericsaid
July 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Coastal Carolina should have been invited to the SoCon. tisk tisk.

gophoenix
July 7th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Coastal Carolina should have been invited to the SoCon. tisk tisk.

Maybe so, but if the choice would have been Coastal, the same App and GSU fans would be whining that a smaller public school that's a startup in football with no football tradition was admitted. Plus they would pick the school and program apart from the NCAA violations to last years players that weren't suspended immediately after being arrested.

Trust me, to the whiners, no pick would have been good enough.

Hell, if the pick would have been Jacksonville State, certain numbers of the same fans would be whining because Jacksonville State isn't really known to fill up their stadium and is a reported FCS short timer. Where's the SoCon vision in that one?

Heck, some of the people still complain about the footprint statement Dan Morrison made, all the while the complain that they don't know how fuel prices are going to affect athletics budgets.

Trust me, the same people would be whining no matter who was brought in.

As for my opinion of Coastal. Samford was brought in for the immediate impact that they'll serve. The next two members will be public. Georgia State and Coastal will be SoCon within 2 years. Trust me.

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Maybe so, but if the choice would have been Coastal, the same App and GSU fans would be whining that a smaller public school that's a startup in football with no football tradition was admitted. Plus they would pick the school and program apart from the NCAA violations to last years players that weren't suspended immediately after being arrested.

Hell, if the pick would have been Jacksonville State, certain numbers of the same fans would be whining because Jacksonville State isn't really known to fill up their stadium and is a reported FCS short timer. Where's the SoCon vision in that one?

Heck, some of the people still complain about the footprint statement Dan Morrison made, all the while the complain that they don't know how fuel prices are going to affect athletics budgets.

As for my opinion of Coastal. Samford was brought in for the immediate impact that they'll serve. The next two members will be public. Georgia State and Coastal will be SoCon within 2 years. Trust me.

Trust me, if the choice was between Coastal, and Samford, you wouldn't have heard a peep! Guess you didn't notice the pro Coastal posts concerning them before Samford was chosen.

Samford was brought in for the immediate impact that they'll serve

You're kidding, I hope.xeyebrowx
They're at least a 7 or 8 year rehab project. Only impact Ii see is that they will help the rest of us us get the number of wins needed to make the play-offs. However the old top to bottom argument will get much worse. When you've lower the botom another notch, they have a good argument.

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Coastal has a lot more upside too with their program, fresh off Jerome Simpson being drafted and Tyler Thigpen the year before, they would have brought in better recruits and eventually more attention to the SoCon than Samford. Their location, talent, and being in the SoCon would have been very attractive for good football players.

SAMFORDxoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

gophoenix
July 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Trust me, if the choice was between Coastal, and Samford, you wouldn't have heard a peep! Guess you didn't notice the pro Coastal posts concerning them before Samford was chosen.

Absolutely! I noticed plenty of Pro-Coastal stuff. But I noticed some of the same whiners complaining about coastal being a possibility just as much as anyone else.

Samford was brought in for the immediate impact that they'll serve

You're kidding, I hope.xeyebrowx
They're at least a 7 or 8 year rehab project. Only impact Ii see is that they will help the rest of us us get the number of wins needed to make the play-offs. However the old top to bottom argument will get much worse. When you've lower the botom another notch, they have a good argument.

I didn't say they were brought in for athletic impact.

I am not saying I prefer Samford over Coastal or vice versa. I am fine with either. And Elon wasn't against Coastal like some schools were. I am just saying, App and GSU have the primary fans complaining about Samford (not all the fans complaining nor all fans complaining are from App/GSU). And many of that same bunch complain about the thought of playing Coastal on the road.

Coastal has a lot more upside too with their program, fresh off Jerome Simpson being drafted and Tyler Thigpen the year before, they would have brought in better recruits and eventually more attention to the SoCon than Samford. Their location, talent, and being in the SoCon would have been very attractive for good football players.

So basically, because you perceive Coastal is good because two guys were drafted and they are at the beach is some sort of justification for them being in the SoCon?

Like I said, I am not for or against. I am just saying, people would be complaining either way. ANd it is a moot point, Coastal will be here in 2 years.

PaladinFan
July 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
You think Coastal will be in after two years? I can see them maybe replacing App State, if they leave, but the conference is almost completely balanced right now.

OL FU
July 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
You think Coastal will be in after two years? I can see them maybe replacing App State, if they leave, but the conference is almost completely balanced right now.

I believe the Commish said expansion might take us to 14 teams which in my opinion only makes sense if he knows someone is leaving. But because it doesn't make sense to me does not mean that it doesn't make sense to others.

I would be more concerned about Georgia State. I can't for the life me understand why we would invite someone that has announced a goal of leaving before they enterxeyebrowx

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Absolutely! I noticed plenty of Pro-Coastal stuff. But I noticed some of the same whiners complaining about coastal being a possibility just as much as anyone else.

I am not saying I prefer Samford over Coastal or vice versa. I am fine with either. And Elon wasn't against Coastal like some schools were. I am just saying, App and GSU have the primary fans complaining about Samford (not all the fans complaining nor all fans complaining are from App/GSU). And many of that same bunch complain about the thought of playing Coastal on the road.

So basically, because you perceive Coastal is good because two guys were drafted and they are at the beach is some sort of justification for them being in the SoCon?
Like I said, I am not for or against. I am just saying, people would be complaining either way. ANd it is a moot point, Coastal will be here in 2 years.

I'm saying that would help in recruiting quality players that would help the SoCon overall quicker than Samford would, they have a lot more of an upside than Samford.

The only upisde to bringing Samford into the SoCon is that more recruits from that far south will be looking at SoCon schools.

SU DOG
July 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I have NO idea how we will do this football season in the SoCon, but neither do any of you. It may well be that it will take some time for us to be competitive. I cannot argue the question of proximity nor the lack of a quality football program in our recent history. I do know, however, that we will not be playing with history, but with our football team. Our program has new leadership in the President's Office and on the sidelines. Have ANY of you nayseers actually looked at the player bios of Sullivan's recruits last year and this year? Have you checked out the Rivals and Scout rankings - or is it just more fun to predict doom and gloom?

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM

I didn't say they were brought in for athletic impact

Can't think of any other impact they could have. Might impact academic image.

Media impact? Nope. We might actually help them finally keep from being ignored by the Birmingham media.

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I have NO idea how we will do this football season in the SoCon, but neither do any of you. It may well be that it will take some time for us to be competitive. I cannot argue the question of proximity nor the lack of a quality football program in our recent history. I do know, however, that we will not be playing with history, but with our football team. Our program has new leadership in the President's Office and on the sidelines. Have ANY of you nayseers actually looked at the player bios of Sullivan's recruits last year and this year? Have you checked out the Rivals and Scout rankings - or is it just more fun to predict doom and gloom?

No. Most of us just looked at the 7-15 record in the last two years, whom the losses were to and whom the wins were over.

chantster
July 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Seriously, why would Coastal have any interest in joining the SoCon?

Especially if GSU and App State are leaving.

gophoenix
July 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I didn't say they were brought in for athletic impact

Can't think of any other impact they could have. Might impact academic image.

Media impact? Nope. We might actually help them finally keep from being ignored by the Birmingham media.

Academic image may be some part of the equation. I can't say.

If it was really about the UTC administration (not the fans, but the admins) and the SoCon wanted a stable conference mate for UTC, then that is the impact.

But, that is an if, I don't know if this is truly the case or not.

gophoenix
July 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Because an App-less and GSU-less SoCon is still a better place than the Big South. xlolx

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Academic image may be some part of the equation. I can't say.

If it was really about the UTC administration (not the fans, but the admins) and the SoCon wanted a stable conference mate for UTC, then that is the impact.

But, that is an if, I don't know if this is truly the case or not.

With Wofford, Elon, and Furman. I don't believe academics is it either.

ericsaid
July 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Who said App and GSU are leaving?

They would join because as of right now they play in a joke of a conference known as the Big South.

zilla
July 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
If memory serves correct, I remember people with "inside info" posting back in late 2006 that Samford would be added for '08 with two more schools being brought in for either 2010 or 2011.

As far as CCU goes, I haven't heard a single rumbling about us joining the SoCon in the past few months. Not saying this expansion talk is false. Just haven't heard anything.

One question...Didn't the administration at Georgia State make it very clear that when Panther Football began in 2010, they'd be participating in the CAA? Maybe there are some backdoor negotiations going on that I don't know about.

chantster
July 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Who said App and GSU are leaving?

They would join because as of right now they play in a joke of a conference known as the Big South.

Maybe because GSU and ASU is growing old of the SoCon? You know as well as anyone that its gonna happen one day.

Key reasons Coastal wanted to join was to save on travel expenses and playing in a conference with an autobid. Now, the autobid is a moot point.

The Big South will continue to grow. And Coastal will eventually outgrow its conference.

ericsaid
July 8th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Maybe because GSU and ASU is growing old of the SoCon? You know as well as anyone that its gonna happen one day.

Key reasons Coastal wanted to join was to save on travel expenses and playing in a conference with an autobid. Now, the autobid is a moot point.

The Big South will continue to grow. And Coastal will eventually outgrow its conference.

Yeah, with adding Stony Brooke and Gardner Webb, your right.xoopsx

SoCon48
July 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM

In many cases, it's the concept that the SoCon is no longer fair to some of its membership that creates the disenchantment. It seems to reward those who do the least for themselves.

chantster
July 8th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Yeah, with adding Stony Brooke and Gardner Webb, your right.xoopsx

THIS IS A DISCUSSION BOARD

You wanna take it to the smack board, Newbie?

gophoenix
July 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
In many cases, it's the concept that the SoCon is no longer fair to some of its membership that creates the disenchantment. It seems to reward those who do the least for themselves.

And how is that, exactly?

Last I saw, those schools that did the least for themselves (ie VMI and ETSU) were not rewarded. And every school gets screwed on something. This is starting to come back down to some the vast conspiracy theory about how the two large publics are somehow disenfranchised compared to all the rest. And it is just simply not the case. Every school in the conference gets rewarded for items worthy of reward. Every school benefits and hurts from crappy reffing and ump'ing. Some schools benefit from the TV contract while others don't. The complaint that stuff mal-affects only certain schools is just simply not true. All schools get benefit and drawback from conference membership yearly.

SoCon48
July 8th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Again, your opinion is noted.

Thanks for mentioning ETSU. You'll notice they're no longer in the SoCon and Davidson still is with no conference football.

gophoenix
July 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Again, your opinion is noted.

Thanks for mentioning ETSU. You'll notice they're no longer in the SoCon and Davidson still is with no conference football.

Yes, my opinion. And I asked for yours. Not to argue, but I would just like to point out that as much as you guys have thought App got screwed by the SoCon, I can point out arguments for aspects where Elon has been screwed too.

ETSU was a load of problems. But talk to the southern schools about it, Western, App, Elon and UTC were all on the same page with it.

CID1990
July 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM

I have a place in Valle Crucis so I will be there. I have not had my rabies and plague shots yet this year so I will likely not be around Appaholic and Citdog.

jonmac
July 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I have a place in Valle Crucis so I will be there. I have not had my rabies and plague shots yet this year so I will likely not be around Appaholic and Citdog.

Probably a good idea.

SoCon48
July 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Stop and buy some tomatos at one of the roadside stands. An Italian guy on 321 has the best. Run by Mr. Sal Manelli.

CID1990
July 14th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I met Sal once and he gave me the *****s.

CID1990
July 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM

I agree with this, insofar as the SoCon has given 'byes' on football to three of its newer members.

IndianaAppMan
July 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I agree with this, insofar as the SoCon has given 'byes' on football to three of its newer members.

Say wah? Watchoo talkin' bout, willis? (i didnt quite getcher joke. I guessitsmy hillbilly edjoocayshun. xlolx )

CID1990
July 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Say wah? Watchoo talkin' bout, willis? (i didnt quite getcher joke. I guessitsmy hillbilly edjoocayshun. xlolx )

I was agreeing with the 'fairness' portion of your comment. The other SoCon schools generally lag behind cofc, davidson and uncg in basball and basketball because those schools can devote more resources to them. It really has nothing to do with how well the football schools fare in football, but it is just another example of how the SoCon does not exactly contribute to a fair playing field in all sports.

gophoenix
July 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I was agreeing with the 'fairness' portion of your comment. The other SoCon schools generally lag behind cofc, davidson and uncg in basball and basketball because those schools can devote more resources to them. It really has nothing to do with how well the football schools fare in football, but it is just another example of how the SoCon does not exactly contribute to a fair playing field in all sports.

Are you kidding me. I look at the conference cup standings and don't see how UNCG, CofC or Davidson are that far above any of the rest of us. They don't really dominate anything.