PDA

View Full Version : Elon WR might go pro???

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I have recently heard through a coach friend of mine that Terrell Hudgins of Elon has been hearing from agents and is leaning towards asking the NFL for his grade and possibly come out early, if that grade is high enough. That same person told me the NFL has timed him in the 4.7 range and don't think he would be higher than a 7th rounder at this point.

Anyone else heard this?

Touchdown Yosef
July 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM
interesting but it would be a dumb move on his part if he wasn't going to be a lock for a first day pick. My guess is even if he looks into it he will stay at Elon and try and raise his draft stock with his play in Elon.

ElonPride
July 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have recently heard through a coach friend of mine that Terrell Hudgins of Elon has been hearing from agents and is leaning towards asking the NFL for his grade and possibly come out early, if that grade is high enough. That same person told me the NFL has timed him in the 4.7 range and don't think he would be higher than a 7th rounder at this point.

Anyone else heard this?

I heard rumblings about that some time ago.....

He won't go. If he stays until his senior year, he could possibly make it as high as the 3rd round.

Seven Would Be Nice
July 1st, 2008, 12:38 PM
interesting but it would be a dumb move on his part if he wasn't going to be a lock for a first day pick. My guess is even if he looks into it he will stay at Elon and try and raise his draft stock with his play in Elon.

That just sounds funny. :D

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
I heard rumblings about that some time ago.....

He won't go. If he stays until his senior year, he could possibly make it as high as the 3rd round.

I'm sure agents are all in his ear so you never know. Hopefully he goes to the NFL advisory board and sees he is a late rounder. Not sure where you got 3rd round from but a 4.7 40 won't get you anywhere near that. Look at David Ball. He had similar production and 40 time and went undrafted.

He will have to run 4.5 or better to go 3rd round and I don't see that happening. I don't mean to come off as negative but I just think it is better to be realistic.

Hoyadestroya85
July 1st, 2008, 02:42 PM
How about Erin Henderson the All American Linebacker from Maryland.. he went out early and wasn't even drafted..

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM
How about Erin Henderson the All American Linebacker from Maryland.. he went out early and wasn't even drafted..

Some players do. What happens is they listen to the media and agents and believe that the grade the NFL advisory board gave them is conservative and wrong. 9 times out of 10 they find out at the end of the day that the NFL was giving them much more accurate information.

Not sure where Elon people got the idea that Hudgins was a 3rd round pick. Haven't seen a quote from a NFL scout, GM, or anyone like that who would truly know.

NFL Draft websites don't know for sure either. They copy preseason ratings by NFL scouting services and is explained due to their ratings changing so quickly in June. It is funny that NFL scouting services have their preseason meetings in late May and many draft websites change their ratings in mid to late June shortly after those meetings.

Just shows that anyone rating players for 2010 now is just a guess and they have no real NFL information to back up those ratings until June 2009 arrives. xthumbsupx

ElonPride
July 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Not sure where Elon people got the idea that Hudgins was a 3rd round pick. Haven't seen a quote from a NFL scout, GM, or anyone like that who would truly know.

Not Elon "people" just me. I don't live in the Elon area, but sportscasters where I live (TV and ESPN radio) have commented on it. They're not scouts or GMs, but do know the game.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Not Elon "people" just me. I don't live in the Elon area, but sportscasters where I live (TV and ESPN radio) have commented on it. They're not scouts or GMs, but do know the game.

I have heard others who assume he is going high. Remember the talk surrounding David Ball? He was a 4.7 guy with great numbers, just like Hudgins. I have a feeling if that 40 time isn't below a 4.65 he will go undrafted or maybe 6th or 7th round.

There are people I consider know the game well but the draft and what GMs and head coaches are thinking is impossible to know for sure. Unless someone has some info from a scout, GM, or coach then I usually call it media hype. Hopefully Hudgins goes in the 3rd round and if he runs a 4.5 then I certainly believe your 3rd round projection will be right.

Phoenix87
July 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM
I don't see Hudgins leaving before his Senior year. I also see him converting to a receiving TE in the NFL. He has the speed, size, and athletic ability to beat LBs.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM
I don't see Hudgins leaving before his Senior year. I also see him converting to a receiving TE in the NFL. He has the speed, size, and athletic ability to beat LBs.

With his size/speed combo a move to h-back would be his best bet as long as he can block well. He still doesn't have experience there and I doubt a NFL team would take him higher than round 6 either way. Catching 100 balls makes no difference this year if he still runs 4.7 40s. If his 40 improves then he certainly could go very high.

I also agree with you that at the end of the day he won't leave early but I fully expect he will go to the advisory board. The coach I talked to said agents have been trying to contact him like crazy and we all know how some agents give the good ones a bad name by pushing kids who have no business leaving early out the door.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
I'd be happy to see him go. I've said it before, he's the best opposing player I've watched in the past 5 years at Paladin Stadium. If he gets hurt tomorrow, Elon is a 3 win team.

ElonPride
July 2nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'd be happy to see him go. I've said it before, he's the best opposing player I've watched in the past 5 years at Paladin Stadium. If he gets hurt tomorrow, Elon is a 3 win team.

Yes we would be hurtin', but with Williamson, Lance Camp (NC 3A player of the year) and freshman Aaron Mellette (Terrell Hudgins Jr.), I think we would be ok.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Yes we would be hurtin', but with Williamson, Lance Camp (NC 3A player of the year) and freshman Aaron Mellette (Terrell Hudgins Jr.), I think we would be ok.

You may well have some good players on roster, but losing Huggins would be a major blow to that team. He nearly single handedly beat us last year.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
You may well have some good players on roster, but losing Huggins would be a major blow to that team. He nearly single handedly beat us last year.

He is a good one but Elon has other weapons as well. They are certainly not a one man show entirely.

Seawolf97
July 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
With his size/speed combo a move to h-back would be his best bet as long as he can block well. He still doesn't have experience there and I doubt a NFL team would take him higher than round 6 either way. Catching 100 balls makes no difference this year if he still runs 4.7 40s. If his 40 improves then he certainly could go very high.

I also agree with you that at the end of the day he won't leave early but I fully expect he will go to the advisory board. The coach I talked to said agents have been trying to contact him like crazy and we all know how some agents give the good ones a bad name by pushing kids who have no business leaving early out the door.

Exactly - better he finishes at Elon with a degree and then makes a run for a contract.