PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs in October???

Saint3333
October 14th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Well boys playoffs begin as usual for an ASU team in October. A 7-4 team will not make the playoffs this year.

Here's my playoff picture:
8 autobids
Cal Poly (rolling in the Great West)
CCU (even though they aren't a top 16 team)
SoCon gets one at large (unless ASU beats GSU and GSU beats Furman then they could get two at large teams)
Gateway gets one at large maybe two (S. Ill or N. Iowa)
A-10 gets two at large teams (JMU, NH, Bill & Mary, UMass fighting for three spots)
Big Sky gets one (Montana and Montana St make the playoffs)
Southland gets one if the Gateway doesn't get two(Texas St wins the SL and either NW St. or McNeese get the at-large)

Bottom line: Mr. Obvious says, just win baby!

JALMOND
October 14th, 2005, 01:36 PM
CCU gets one and E Washington doesn't? I don't know about that...

I think, with the parity going on nationwide, mid-October might be too early to speculate. I'll give it a week or two, but I have been skeptical all along about Coastal and how they would do in a major conference (Big Sky, SoCon, A-10).

TSX Analyst
October 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Well boys playoffs begin as usual for an ASU team in October. A 7-4 team will not make the playoffs this year.

Here's my playoff picture:
8 autobids
Cal Poly (rolling in the Great West)
CCU (even though they aren't a top 16 team)
SoCon gets one at large (unless ASU beats GSU and GSU beats Furman then they could get two at large teams)
Gateway gets one at large maybe two (S. Ill or N. Iowa)
A-10 gets two at large teams (JMU, NH, Bill & Mary, UMass fighting for three spots)
Big Sky gets one (Montana and Montana St make the playoffs)
Southland gets one if the Gateway doesn't get two(Texas St wins the SL and either NW St. or McNeese get the at-large)

Bottom line: Mr. Obvious says, just win baby!

My 16 teams would be this:

Autobids:

Atlantic-10: James Madison
Big Sky: Montana
Gateway: Southern Illinois
MEAC: Hampton
SoCon: Georgia Southern
OVC:Toss up here, no one has been that good. I would say Eastern Illinois
Southland: NW State
Patriot League: Holy Cross

At-Large:

App State
Furman
EWU
Cal Poly
UNI
WKU
SFA
Coastal Carolina but I do not think they are top 15. They will just run the table and have a good win in JMU to give them merit.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Autobids:

At-Large:

App State
Furman
EWU
Cal Poly
UNI
WKU
SFA
Coastal Carolina but I do not think they are top 15. They will just run the table and have a good win in JMU to give them merit.

out of the 3 socon teams, whichever has 2 losses will not make it if the other 2 have 1 loss, if 2 of the teams have 2 losses, then its a tossup and someone will feel like they got gipped

grizband
October 14th, 2005, 02:23 PM
If Montana State were to win the remainder of their games except against UM in November, I think they would have to get serious consideration for an at large. If this screnario panned out, their only three losses would be to Oklahoma St., Cal Poly, and UM, with quality wins over NDSU, EWU, and SFA.

colgate13
October 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM
At-Large:

App State
Furman
EWU
Cal Poly
UNI
WKU
SFA

I feel pretty confident in saying that more than one A-10 team will make the playoffs.

eaglesrthe1
October 14th, 2005, 02:35 PM
What makes you think that TxSt would be seeded instead of Cal Poly?

eaglesrthe1
October 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Regionalization.
Same thing I thought. It's a shame that it would come into play.

colgate13
October 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Isn't it hysterical that the #1 team in the Sportsnetwork and USA Today poll is currently a 'bubble' team? (Southern Illinios)

I was explaining the GPI vs. ranking on the Fordham board earlier today!

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Autobids:

At-Large:

App State
Furman
EWU
Cal Poly
UNI
WKU
SFA
Your insane if you think just 1 A10 team will get in... More like 3 is the magic number at least. Just so you know... if GSU beats App St this week that will be their 3rd loss with still one game vs a I-A team... if thats the case then it doesnt look good for App.

Hansel
October 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM
What makes you think that TxSt would be seeded instead of Cal Poly?
Montana plays Poly next week, the winner of that game will have an inside track on a seed

blur2005
October 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM
It's too early to have a good picture of what will go down, I think. In a week or two, I'll be fairly sure of who I think should make the playoffs, but as some of the big dogs haven't played each other yet, expecially in the Gateway, I'm pretty uncertain.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Your insane if you think just 1 A10 team will get in... More like 3 is the magic number at least. Just so you know... if GSU beats App St this week that will be their 3rd loss with still one game vs a I-A team... if thats the case then it doesnt look good for App.

Maybe its just me, but i don't count the I-A games, they would be 7-2 against I-AA competition. Anyways, i would agree that if they lose to both FU and GSU that they don't deserve to get in, so now its a matter of whether they finish with 3 or 4 losses unless a miracle happens in Baton Rouge.

Chi Panther
October 14th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Isn't it hysterical that the #1 team in the Sportsnetwork and USA Today poll is currently a 'bubble' team? (Southern Illinios)

I was explaining the GPI vs. ranking on the Fordham board earlier today!

Agree....very interesting....however assuming SIU beats Ill St this weekend...I bet they jump pretty good in the GPI next week......

bobcatfan06
October 14th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Autobids:

At-Large:

App State
Furman
EWU
Cal Poly
UNI
WKU
SFA

How do you have SFA instead of TxState as getting the at-large or even TxState as the champion?? :eek:

ngineer
October 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I really don't see Holy Cross winning the auto-bid. They are certainly living right, right now, but Lafayette, Colgate and Lehigh still look stronger in terms of team depth for the long haul. There are no "slam dunks" out there anymore, and I see the Crusaders losing at least two more games. Lafayette, with their tough defense, to me, appears to have the inside track--but that track has a final stop in Goodman. Whether Lehigh is still in the hunt or not, 141st game will be a bloodletting.

Tribe4SF
October 14th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Regionalization.

I don't see them regionalizing until they go to 8 seeds. Any chance of that this year?

SeattleGriz
October 15th, 2005, 12:32 AM
How does the SoCon deserve three bids when they have performed poorly the last couple of years in the playoffs?

SeattleGriz
October 15th, 2005, 01:01 AM
I have not forgotten the tradition, it just seems that few SoCon teams have played for the NC the last couple of years.

Maybe my opinioin is skewed since GSU has not been in the finals for awhile.