PDA

View Full Version : 143rd Yale-Harvard Regatta This Saturday

bulldog10jw
June 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-crewhvy/spec-rel/061008aaa.html

SATURDAY'S RACE
Saturday's race marks the 143rd edition of the Yale-Harvard Regatta. The crews first met in 1852, and have competed for the Sexton Cup annually since 1859. On all but five occasions since 1878, the regatta has been held on the Thames River in New London. Three events are scheduled: the two-mile freshman race, three-mile junior varsity race with the F. Valentine Chappell Trophy at stake, and the four-mile Sexton Cup race between the varsity eights. The varsity race is the longest rowing race in the Western hemisphere. A special combination race with boats made up of rowers from the third varsity and second freshman crews will kick off the regatta on Friday afternoon. The winner of the combination race gets the James P. Snider Cup and earns the right to paint its school colors on the rock near the finish line. For the ninth consecutive year, all races will be held upstream.

THE TRADITION CONTINUES
Sports Illustrated named this event the most venerable rivalry in college sports, and its history predates the great football rivalry between the schools by 23 years. Crews from Yale and Harvard first met on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire on August 3, 1852, the first intercollegiate athletic competition of any kind in the United States. Harvard won that first meeting, and has built an 88-54 lead in the series. Harvard's junior varsity holds a 68-37 edge, and the Harvard freshmen are 64-39-1 against Yale. Last year, the Bulldogs claimed the Sexton Cup for the first time since 1999. Yale has only won the varsity race three times since 1985 (1996, 1999, 2007). Yale also won last season's JV race, while Harvard's freshmen claimed victory.

brownbear
June 14th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Why do they hold this event after the national championships, which occurred last week?

JayJ79
June 14th, 2008, 12:09 AM
No I mean, do you really know where Harvard is? It's another planet man- another universe. Totally unlike the one we know. Filled with big blond guys who eat ivy and row boats.

th0m
June 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Cool. I've recently turned into a crew-man myself, although the boatclub I'm rowing at is (only) from 1878.

Any idea on the chances for the various crews? And do you know why they change from going upstream to downstream? I've rowed a couple of Head-races and they have been changed in direction to increase capacity but I can't imagine that to be the case with a head-to-head race such as the Yale-Harvard Regatta.