PDA

View Full Version : Colston - Biggest Story in NOLA

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Listened to WWL on the way into work today and they were going over the top story of the day and 75% of the callers were saying it was Marques Colston.

The WR is apparently holding out of OTAs due to a contract dispute. He wants to get paid what he deserves instead of the salary he is currently getting from the Saints.

The general consensus from the callers -- SHOW HIM THE MONEY!

813Jag
June 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
They should pay him the $$$$, he's produced WAY past his draft value. Don't be cheap Saints. xnonox

danefan
June 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
"But Mr. Coulston, we shouldn't have to pay you a salary commensurate with someone who went to a Divison I school should we? I mean, you didn't got to a Division II school didn't you?" xrolleyesx xnonono2x

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM
They should pay him the $$$$, he's produced WAY past his draft value. Don't be cheap Saints. xnonox

I agree. Of note, Colston's agent is the same as Will Smith, who skipped out on some OTAs earlier this off-season due to contract dispute.

According to NOLA.com, "In 2007, Colston earned $360,000 in base salary, and according to the NFL Players Association, is scheduled to earn $450,000 in 2008, the final year of his original three-year contract."

UNHWildCats
June 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
he needs to stop being ababy, honor the deal he signed, have a huge year, and rake in the benjamins next off season.

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
he needs to stop being ababy, honor the deal he signed, have a huge year, and rake in the benjamins next off season.

He's doing the right thing in my opinion in forcing the Saints hand. He wants to be a part of the organization and if he does not do this now, he'll be out in the FA market and could get a better deal than the Saints would be able or willing to give him...

Hoyadestroya85
June 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'd love to have him on the Giants!

UNH_ORACLE
June 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM
he's definitely doing the right thing. there's nothing honorable about getting less than what you deserve.... As the great Chester Karrass says,

"In business, as in life, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate for." Get dat green!!

AppAlum2003
June 13th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Ah, therein lies the age-old argument. So if you under-perform as a professional athlete, should you have to give back some of those millions you were paid? I don't see that ever happening.

(Somewhere, Mo Vaughn is smiling)

Retro
June 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
xrolleyesx Ok, did he think he wasn't going to be that good when he signed the contract? Like someone said before, if he has a bad season, will he give money back?

The honorable thing to do is show and work hard and continue to work on a contract extension. A contract is a contract.. I'm a saints fan, but i'll never side with any of these guys like Chad Johnson, etc. who think they don't have to live up to their end of the contract because they have better than expected seasons, or the team has a bad season.. xnonox

I'm sure the saints will get a deal done before training camp..xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
June 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm a Hofstra fan and a big fan of Colston. I can understand why getting the money now before risking injury or a poor season next year is so important. Then again, i also feel like hey, you signed a contract, honor it. Then again, i once heard someone say something like "a contract is just an agreed upon piece of paper between two parties who try endlessly to violate it."

813Jag
June 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'm a Hofstra fan and a big fan of Colston. I can understand why getting the money now before risking injury or a poor season next year is so important. Then again, i also feel like hey, you signed a contract, honor it. Then again, i once heard someone say something like "a contract is just an agreed upon piece of paper between two parties who try endlessly to violate it."
I agree, but there's no way a guy who was a 7th round pick and has led the team in recieving for two years should be playing for a low wage. The Saints should pay him now as a reward for his play. But this is the Saints we're talking about. xlolx

Uncle Buck
June 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Good article from Colston's hometown paper.

GIVING BACK
Colston does his part for underprivileged children
Friday, June 20, 2008
BY JAMES PHILLIPS
Of The Patriot-News

On his Web site, Colston12.com, Marques Colston says he is blessed to be playing in the NFL.

This weekend, the former Susquehanna Twp. and Hofstra University star is giving back to the community that helped mold him into the humble, unselfish and well-grounded person he is today.

The second annual Marques Colston Charity Weekend, sponsored by the Crowne Plaza Harrisburg Hershey, kicks off today with a celebrity golf tournament at Felicita Garden Resort and Spa beginning at 10 a.m.

The star wide receiver for the New Orleans Saints was on hand for a press conference Thursday at the Whitaker Center. Colston Charities is a non-profit organization that gives support and better enrich the lives of underprivileged children in the Harrisburg area.

Growing up, Colston witnessed his parents care for several foster children, so the thought of helping children was instilled in him.

"To me, I just knew what it took to get to this point," Colston said. "A lot of people helped me, so it would be selfish of me to forget about them."

On Saturday, an autograph signing session will take place at Dick's Sporting Goods from 10-11:30 a.m. From 5-8 p.m., a celebrity basketball game will be held at Harrisburg High School. The Reebok Lounge (celebrity after-party) will be held from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. at the Whitaker Center.

Ticket locations for the events include Mr. Mike's Record Store, Music Man, whitakercenter.org and local 7-Eleven Stores.

After a solid college career at Hofstra, the Saints drafted Colston in the seventh round (252nd overall) of the 2006 NFL draft. The 6-4, 231-pound Colston quickly established himself as one of the steals of the draft.

Last season, Colston snared 98 passes for 1,202 yards and 11 touchdowns. In two seasons, he has registered eight 100-yard receiving games, sixth-most in team history.

"A lot of people thought it wasn't good that I was drafted in the seventh round. In reality, to even get drafted was huge," Colston said. "Many college players don't even get drafted, so it was a blessing for me."

Despite the lofty numbers Colston has put up in two years, he remains the same laid-back and quiet individual he has always been. He is in his final year of his rookie contract, so the Saints have a huge decision to make.

It should be a no-brainer.

"We have big plans for him ... I expect him to be even better this season," said Michael Harris, Colston's agent. "He should be rewarded; that is all I'm going to say about that."

For three years, Harris was the agent for Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant early in Bryant's career.

The Saints are coming off a 7-9 season, and Colston feels a renewed sense of urgency surrounding the team.

"We feel like we underachieved, and we're looking to bounce back," he said. "We want to give our fans hope this year, because sports play a small role in helping with the healing [from Hurricane Katrina]."

But Colston isn't thinking about the business side of football right now. He's just focused on getting better and helping the Saints get back to the top in the NFC South.

"Never be satisfied; I have no urge to become complacent," Colston said. "I work hard to get better each and every day to help the team win. I'm living a dream right now."

JAMES PHILLIPS: 255-8182 or [email protected]