PDA

View Full Version : If Chicago Gets The 2016 Olympics

UNHWildCats
June 6th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Im not familiar with the geography of Chicago, I know the Olympic Stadium would be built in Washington Park if they get the olmpics.

My question for the Chicago members here is what will be the likely use afterwards?

Will it be built with more of a football feel to it or baseball?

Will the Cubs, White Sox or Bears be the future tenants? Is this being discussed in Chicago?

Mountaineer
June 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM
From what I've read it's going to be a temporary stadium, then reduced to 10,000 seats after the games. That's a ton of money for something "temporary".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_2016_Olympic_bid

Stadium
The Olympic Stadium will be in Washington Park, a site on the National Register of Historic Places in the Chicago community area of the same name on the city's south side. Chicago initially proposed building a temporary 80,000-seat track stadium adjacent to Soldier Field and having the two stadiums host dual Opening and Closing Ceremonies.[28][29] However, the final proposal called for a $366 million temporary stadium to be built in Washington Park. The stadium will be replaced by a 10,000 seat multi-use venue after the games.[23] The smaller post-Olympic stadium will be more in line with public interest in restoring the historic park after the games.[23]

UNHWildCats
June 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
thats moronic.

ISUMatt
June 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
thats moronic.

Not for those of us that work construction here in Chicago!!!

TexasTerror
June 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Would the Chicago Cubs and White Sox get prolonged road trips similar to the Houston Astros for the 1992 GOP National Convention? Does not seem July 22-Aug 7 would impact the Chicago Bears much....

ISUMatt
June 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
As long as 1 of them is on the road, the other ballpark is avaliable...they also have a field at Illinois-Chicago they could use also...

JayJ79
June 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Poverty? Hunger? Homelessness? Health Care?

let's ignore those and spend hundreds of millions on temporary stadiums....
(granted, considering the hundreds of billions that is spend on wars and the like, I suppose that's just a drop in the bucket)