PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Kindle and FCS Yearbook

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
I would like to know if you own one or plan on owning one. This is important, since we're thinking about distributing the FCS Yearbook through the Amazon Kindle portable reading device.

Distribution with the Amazon kindle would be cheaper for YOU, the fan, to buy than a hard-bound copy.

89Hen
June 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Where's the "Who is Amazon Kindle?" option? xconfusedx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
http://astore.amazon.com/csnlog-20/detail/B000FI73MA/102-4587387-3642523

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mLdDed4ML._SL210_.jpg

Thanks to electronic paper, a revolutionary new display technology, you’ll find reading Kindle’s screen is as sharp and natural as reading ink on paper—and nothing like the strain and glare of a computer screen. Kindle is also easy on the fingertips. It never becomes hot, and is designed for ambidextrous use so both “lefties” and “righties” can read comfortably at any angle for long periods of time. We wanted Kindle to be completely mobile and simple to use for everyone, so we made it wireless. No PC and no syncing needed. Using the same 3G network as advanced cell phones, we deliver your content using our own wireless delivery system, Amazon Whispernet. Unlike WiFi, you’ll never need to locate a hotspot. There are no confusing service plans, yearly contracts, or monthly wireless bills—we take care of the hassles so you can just read. With Whispernet, you can be anywhere, think of a book, and get it in one minute. Similarly, your content automatically comes to you, wherever you are. Newspaper subscriptions are delivered wirelessly each morning. Most magazines arrive before they hit newsstands. Haven’t read the book for tomorrow night’s book club? Get it in a minute. Finished your book in the airport? Download the sequel while you board the plane. Whether you’re in the mood for something serious or hilarious, lighthearted or studious, Kindle delivers your spontaneous reading choices on demand.

Syntax Error
June 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Price: $359.00 xeekx

AppAlum2003
June 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Nope, looks cool though, expect for the reliability on the 3G network. Blech!

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Why not just a PDF version?

grizband
June 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Why not just a PDF version?
Not a bad idea, many schools do this with their annual media releases. The logistics of a .pdf document would seem easier than a hard-bound copy, unless I am missing something in the process.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
No, and I agree with the others. A pdf that I can download and read on the computer seems like the way to go. Why not release it on a platform that everyone already has?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Just to be clear, the intent of this isn't to imply that this will *only* be released for the Kindle. This would just be one of several different ways the FCS Yearbook would be distributed.

I understand that the Kindle reader is "early adopter" type tech stuff, but I am trying to determine how popular it is here. For that price tag I don't have one either, but at some point the price will go down enough (I'm thinking) that I will get one.

lizrdgizrd
June 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Just to be clear, the intent of this isn't to imply that this will *only* be released for the Kindle. This would just be one of several different ways the FCS Yearbook would be distributed.

I understand that the Kindle reader is "early adopter" type tech stuff, but I am trying to determine how popular it is here. For that price tag I don't have one either, but at some point the price will go down enough (I'm thinking) that I will get one.
I keep my eyes on the price and will grab one once it hits $200 or so. I have a friend with one and I am completely jealous of his Kindle. xnodx

Syntax Error
June 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
No, and I agree with the others. A pdf that I can download and read on the computer seems like the way to go. Why not release it on a platform that everyone already has?Like this?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/magazine/2007yearbookweb.pdf

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
The kindle is so cool.... yet nobody is even planning on getting one. Interesting...

lizrdgizrd
June 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM
The kindle is so cool.... yet nobody is even planning on getting one. Interesting...

It's too expensive because you also have to buy the books to read on it. Or subscribe to the newspapers/magazines/whatever.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM
It's too expensive because you also have to buy the books to read on it. Or subscribe to the newspapers/magazines/whatever.

True. Still, it feels like "the future of newspaper/magazines/books" to me, and I'm very interested in getting my blog and the FCS Yearbook onto that media. We'll see, though.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2008, 03:20 PM

I gotta tell ya I like a lot of the tech stuff but this doesn't seem that cool to me. It just seems like another piece of crap to carry around. I do the reading of newspaper and sports and so forth while at the computer. What are the advantages to the kindle? I'm not gonna get one anyway but I'm wondering.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Like this?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/magazine/2007yearbookweb.pdf

Indeed, exactly like that. It's a nice, full sized way to go through the information. Oh, and all I had to do was click on the link and there it was. That's what I call convenience.

Retro
June 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I predict this thing will go the way of DAT (digital audio tape) and DIVX DVD's. Anybody remember those? I didn't think so...

The way graphics are on iphone and such, there is little need for this.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I predict this thing will go the way of DAT (digital audio tape) and DIVX DVD's. Anybody remember those? I didn't think so...

The way graphics are on iphone and such, there is little need for this.

If the vote on this thread is any indication then I'm not sure it will even do that well.

uni88
June 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
True. Still, it feels like "the future of newspaper/magazines/books" to me, and I'm very interested in getting my blog and the FCS Yearbook onto that media. We'll see, though.

Off the original topic - but the future of newspaper/magazines/books might be as audio files. I get books on CD from my library and listen to them while I drive to/from work. I knock off a book every two weeks or so this way. My library also has a number of books in eAudiobook format that are playable on MP3 players (but not the iPod or Zune). I rarely have time to read magazine articles so my hope is to begin downloading them as audio files and listening to them in the car using an MP3 adapter.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Will the FCS Yearbook be available in the traditional magazine format this year?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
If the vote on this thread is any indication then I'm not sure it will even do that well.

xlolx

Syntax Error
June 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Indeed, exactly like that. It's a nice, full sized way to go through the information. Oh, and all I had to do was click on the link and there it was. That's what I call convenience.Except you have to have a computer to read it unless you print it out. Kindle removes the print it out stuff plus gives you a whole lot of other content too. Put every FCS prospectus plus the mags on it and you have a handheld encyclopedia of 2008.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Except you have to have a computer to read it unless you print it out. Kindle removes the print it out stuff plus gives you a whole lot of other content too. Put every FCS prospectus plus the mags on it and you have a handheld encyclopedia of 2008.

Exactly. You can pull the stuff from anywhere, and no network? No problem - you still have your information. Imagine that from a press box...

Syntax Error
June 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Exactly. You can pull the stuff from anywhere, and no network? No problem - you still have your information. Imagine that from a press box...or in the tailgate area
or in the stands
or in the bathroom wherever
or just plain old wherever