PDA

View Full Version : Picking MICHIGAN's Jake Long over the ASU linemen?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
$57 million for an offensive tackle!!??
By Furman Bisher,The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/Bisher/entries/2008/04/24/57_million_for_an_offensive_ta.html

Opinion No. 1: A $57 million tackle? And did you stop to realize that this tackle played on the big-time Big Ten football team that lost to Appalachian State? His major assignment on his football team is to block for the ball-carrier. Sort of drudge work, requiring no sophisticated talent, such as catching or throwing a football, just helping clear a path for the guy who carries it under his arm.

Bill Parcells has always been perceived as one of the brains of professional football. That’s why he was hired to run the Miami Dolphins when the Falcons thought they had him in hand. He is the one who had to OK this deal with Jake Long. Maybe he should have looked at the Appalachian State tackle that Jake didn’t get blocked. You mean to say you have to pay $57 million to get a guy who can play tackle in the NFL these days? And $30 million of it guaranteed, before Jake even makes his first block? I don’t know what that comes out to by the pound, but that’s mighty expensive beef.

xlolx xnodx

SideLine Shooter
April 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/Bisher/entries/2008/04/24/57_million_for_an_offensive_ta.html

xlolx xnodx

I'm with you man. App St. made them look a little weak.

I'm use to that crap being a Panthers PSL owner. Just pass it on to the PSL owners. If they don't renew we'll have their seats to sell to another person and they are out their money.....xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

nwFL Griz
April 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM

xlolx xnodx

That's a rather simplistic view of what it takes to be an O-lineman in the NFL. So he had one bad game....big deal. Time will tell if he pans out, but I'd be willing to bet that he will be a great pick-up.

SideLine Shooter
April 25th, 2008, 12:29 PM
That's a rather simplistic view of what it takes to be an O-lineman in the NFL. So he had one bad game....big deal. Time will tell if he pans out, but I'd be willing to bet that he will be a great pick-up.

Worth that kind of MONEY? I doubt it. He is a BIG man with alot of ink. xlolx xlolx xlolx

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I have a hard time justifying making anyone who hasn't played a snap at the NFL level the highest paid lineman in the game.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM
It would be funny if a team in their division drafted a couple Apps.

UMass922
April 26th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I don't think it's a bad pick, necessarily, at least in the context of this year's draft crop. The thing is, there just aren't any slam-dunk, sure-thing skill-position players out there. It is a lot of money, but you're going to have to give the top pick a lot of money regardless of what position he plays. I guess they feel safer spending it on a guy from whom they pretty much know what they'll be getting (and at a very important position, left tackle), than on a Ryan or a McFadden. And they're not going with Dorsey because they play a 3-4, a scheme he apparently isn't suited to.

Also, it's not hard to find quality skill-position players lower in the draft--and at a lower risk because you don't have to invest as much money in them.

appfan2008
April 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM
The first pick is never worth the money they get and this year is no doubt the case as well

JohnStOnge
April 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
He only gave up one sack all year and it wasn't to anybody from Appalachian State. Michigan's problem against App State was not its offense. The Wolverines gained 479 of offense and averaged over 6 yards per rush in that game.

Appaholic
April 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
He only gave up one sack all year and it wasn't to anybody from Appalachian State. Michigan's problem against App State was not its offense. The Wolverines gained 479 of offense and averaged over 6 yards per rush in that game.

Very true.....they didn't lack offense, just heart. In this draft, Jake Long is the closest to a sure thing there is.......I'm sure there will be plenty of good players from this draft long term, but who are they?