PDA

View Full Version : Media coverage

USDFAN_55
April 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
This is a great quote. It illustrates why I do not believe much of what is reported in the media as far as what teams think of prospects.

"If there's a GM who tells the truth during the month of April, he's making a mistake. I've always called it liar's month. All GMs should be forgiven in April. Please, do not judge any GM in April. Lying is simply a part of our business in April.''

--San Diego GM A.J. Smith, in an interview with Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union Tribune.

How much does the media affect your opinions on prospects? Is it at all possible to find a trully trustworthy information source that is knowledgeable.

I think the media plays a huge roll in how players are viewed by the fans, and how much their draft stock can rise or fall. If you don't think the media has much effect, then why do schools market their players for awards like the Heisman Trophy or Payton Award?

Cleets
April 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
This is a great quote. It illustrates why I do not believe much of what is reported in the media as far as what teams think of prospects.

"If there's a GM who tells the truth during the month of April, he's making a mistake. I've always called it liar's month. All GMs should be forgiven in April. Please, do not judge any GM in April. Lying is simply a part of our business in April.''

--San Diego GM A.J. Smith, in an interview with Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union Tribune.

How much does the media affect your opinions on prospects? Is it at all possible to find a trully trustworthy information source that is knowledgeable.

I think the media plays a huge roll in how players are viewed by the fans, and how much their draft stock can rise or fall. If you don't think the media has much effect, then why do schools market their players for awards like the Heisman Trophy or Payton Award?

AJ Smith is a pretty good GM... funny article (Good post)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20080415-9999-1s15canepa.html

USDFAN_55
April 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
AJ Smith is a pretty good GM... funny article (Good post)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20080415-9999-1s15canepa.html

Yes, that is a funny article. Kind of my view of mock drafts as well.xlolx

bleedblue
April 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yes, that is a funny article. Kind of my view of mock drafts as well.xlolx

You could just stick your head in the sand. It seems to me if you think all of this "stuff" does not have any worth, in terms of conversation, then I would think you would have only one comment. Something like we will see where he gets drafted and what if any success he will have. However we ALL know you have had more than one comment on mock drafts, combine results, pro days and nfl draft expert's opinions. Yes we all know that all of these things are used for speculation only but that's what makes it fun to talk about. We know that if JJ(the second coming) was thought, by the media, to be drafted anywhere from pick 20 to pick 40 then the "media talk" would be acceptable in your eyes. Your anger has to do with one thing and one thing only, why is Joe getting more press and hype then JJ. Here is one of the differences between you and me. You are hoping for the moment for JJ to succeed and Joe to fail and I want respect for FCS. I want the QB that destroyed my National Championship dreams, Armanti, to end up winning the Heisman and showing all those arrogant FBS big schools, like Penn State in this area, that we can play, and sometimes beat, with any of them. I don't why I continue toxbangx

USDFAN_55
April 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
You could just stick your head in the sand. It seems to me if you think all of this "stuff" does not have any worth, in terms of conversation, then I would think you would have only one comment. Something like we will see where he gets drafted and what if any success he will have. However we ALL know you have had more than one comment on mock drafts, combine results, pro days and nfl draft expert's opinions. Yes we all know that all of these things are used for speculation only but that's what makes it fun to talk about. We know that if JJ(the second coming) was thought, by the media, to be drafted anywhere from pick 20 to pick 40 then the "media talk" would be acceptable in your eyes. Your anger has to do with one thing and one thing only, why is Joe getting more press and hype then JJ. Here is one of the differences between you and me. You are hoping for the moment for JJ to succeed and Joe to fail and I want respect for FCS. I want the QB that destroyed my National Championship dreams, Armanti, to end up winning the Heisman and showing all those arrogant FBS big schools, like Penn State in this area, that we can play, and sometimes beat, with any of them. I don't why I continue toxbangx

I have no clue where this came fromxnonox Talk about hi-jacking a thread. You need to stop looking so deep into things. This is a simple thread about how the truth is rarely told by the GMs with respect to what they are planning on doing, and the effect of the media.

You are making completely false accusations.xmadx Please show me my post where I said I wished Flacco would fail? Please show me where I said Josh in the 20-40 range is good value. I think I've consistantly said late second to early third, but most likely somewhere in the third.

Get it through your thick head that I have nothing against Flacco. I hope he does succeed. I do believe he is being over hyped, and he is not a good value in the late first to early second. I think the same about all the QBs except Brohm and Ryan. Those two are head and shoulders above the other prospects in this years draft.

PaladinFan
April 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
I think usually the first 5 or so picks can be pretty accurately assesed, other than that I don't give a rip. People that try and predict the 4th pick of the 6th round creep me out anyway.

bleedblue
April 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
I have no clue where this came fromxnonox Talk about hi-jacking a thread. You need to stop looking so deep into things. This is a simple thread about how the truth is rarely told by the GMs with respect to what they are planning on doing, and the effect of the media.

You are making completely false accusations.xmadx Please show me my post where I said I wished Flacco would fail? Please show me where I said Josh in the 20-40 range is good value. I think I've consistantly said late second to early third, but most likely somewhere in the third.

Get it through your thick head that I have nothing against Flacco. I hope he does succeed. I do believe he is being over hyped, and he is not a good value in the late first to early second. I think the same about all the QBs except Brohm and Ryan. Those two are head and shoulders above the other prospects in this years draft.

Yeah right. I'm not the first to accuse you of this. You just don't have the balls to say what all your negative posts say about Joe. Just come out and say it. I love your comments that say how you really feel and then say but I wish him well. You don't wish him well. Nutless.

DetroitFlyer
April 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
Yeah right. I'm not the first to accuse you of this. You just don't have the balls to say what all your negative posts say about Joe. Just come out and say it. I love your comments that say how you really feel and then say but I wish him well. You don't wish him well. Nutless.

Wow, a typical Delaware FBS wannabee if there ever was one.... Talk about a serious inferiority complex! I sure would like to see Delaware move up to FBS and most especially take their "fans" with them. This board would be so much better without them, ( for the most part ). Granted, there are probably some OK Delaware fans, but off the top of my head I am having trouble remembering any....xlolx. The guy that my niece is going to marry is a Delaware grad, and he is a good guy. Of course he never posts anything here.... As for Flacco, he could not even beat out a fairly poor QB at Pitt. He is just a big dude that NFL folks like because of his size. He might do well in the NFL, and I hope he does very well. Frankly, JJ and Flacco have about the same chance IMHO of being NFL stars.

I just love to watch these FBS wannabees squirm when they realize that all of the money they spend on their programs trying to be FBS wannabees does not mean that their players are any better than a skinny kid from Oakland, CA! Can't you just hear the distress in their posts? One of the funniest things that one can read here on AGS!xlolx

andy7171
April 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
He might not get drafted, but JJ is sure as he11 the savior of non-scholarship football! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xrolleyesx

USDFAN_55
April 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM

You can make all the false accusations you want, but please do it in the correct thread.

Me saying Flacco is over hyped, does not mean I do not wish him well. Your emotions are getting in the way of reasoning. Kind of reminds me of my wifexlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx

bleedblue
April 23rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
You can make all the false accusations you want, but please do it in the correct thread.

Me saying Flacco is over hyped, does not mean I do not wish him well. Your emotions are getting in the way of reasoning. Kind of reminds me of my wifexlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx

I have to stop hanging out with her so much. Your right I'm sorry.

USDFAN_55
April 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have to stop hanging out with her so much. Your right I'm sorry.

Way to be originalxthumbsupx Next up is the "Your momma" jokesxlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx