PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best FCS QB NFL Prospect?

smallcollegefbfan
April 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Since it has become a heated debate, pick who you think will have the best career and why.

ericsaid
April 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Joe Flacco, because he is the biggest, has played at the D-1 level and knows a little bit more. Does not get nervous. Doesn't let much get to him. His size, arm strength(witnessed in person) His accuracy in my opinion is absolutely great.

89Hen
April 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'd have to ask in what context? Most likely to get a chance or has the best potential? There's a big difference. So many QB's never get a real shot.

bobbythekidd
April 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
has played at the D-1 level
That was implied by the thread title.

Let the real bashing begin!

lizrdgizrd
April 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Flacco, most likely to get a shot at playing time.

smallcollegefbfan
April 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'd have to ask in what context? Most likely to get a chance or has the best potential? There's a big difference. So many QB's never get a real shot.

The one you feel will be the best NFL player.

USDFAN_55
April 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Joe Flacco, because he is the biggest, has played at the D-1 level and knows a little bit more. Does not get nervous. Doesn't let much get to him. His size, arm strength(witnessed in person) His accuracy in my opinion is absolutely great.

D-I as in FCS? All the QBs on that list have. If you are referring to him "playing' at Pitt, I would hardly call that playing. Being a back-up to Palko is really nothing to brag about. I know, it was a poor coaching choice.... but you can't give him credit for that.

This is where I'm stuck as well. It really all depends on who is lucky enough to fall into the right situation. If Flacco gets drafted by a team with a Steelers or Bears type of offense, he has a shot of being the best. If he is drafted by a team with a Seahawks or Buccaneers type offense I think he may struggle a bit. The opposite is true about Johnson. I would not be surprised when it is all said and done that Santos ends up being the better QB. Afterall he has proven himself a lot more than the other QBs on the list. He could be the next 6th or 7th round QB that shocks a lot of peoplexthumbsupx

In a perfect situation Johnson and Flacco are really a toss up. Both have very differnt qualities that can really help them succeed, but that is never a guarantee. Here's to hoping they both have great careers.

Ofcourse after all that is said, I will still vote for Johnson. like I said it's a toss up, but tie breaker goes to the home team:D

nwFL Griz
April 17th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Where's the option for none of the above.

I have my doubts that any of these guys will get a real shot at serious playing time. Unless the 'perfect storm' occurs, or one of these guys really blows away the coaches in camp....they'll probably never see the field, except as a back-up.

SideLine Shooter
April 17th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I'm going to step out on a limb and guess FLACCO..xlolx

Do I WIN.....xnodx xnodx xnodx

SoDakState
April 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
i'd say Joe for the NFL. but i don't think he was the best out of them in college

Hoyadestroya85
April 18th, 2008, 01:55 AM
The tribe has spoken..
is it a surprise?

Touchdown Yosef
April 18th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Quite a compelling pole we have going here.

lizrdgizrd
April 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM
This is where I'm stuck as well. It really all depends on who is lucky enough to fall into the right situation. If Flacco gets drafted by a team with a Steelers or Bears type of offense, he has a shot of being the best. If he is drafted by a team with a Seahawks or Buccaneers type offense I think he may struggle a bit. The opposite is true about Johnson. I would not be surprised when it is all said and done that Santos ends up being the better QB. Afterall he has proven himself a lot more than the other QBs on the list. He could be the next 6th or 7th round QB that shocks a lot of peoplexthumbsupx

In a perfect situation Johnson and Flacco are really a toss up. Both have very differnt qualities that can really help them succeed, but that is never a guarantee. Here's to hoping they both have great careers.

Ofcourse after all that is said, I will still vote for Johnson. like I said it's a toss up, but tie breaker goes to the home team:D
More evidence of your anti-Flacco crusade! xmadx xmadx xmadx

:p xsmiley_wix

Appaholic
April 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM
i'd say Joe for the NFL. but i don't think he was the best out of them in college

Agreed.....Joe wasn't the best quarterback on the field during Championship game, but if I was a Pro GM, I would be looking at Flacco as a pro prospect long before I ever looked at Armanti......Flacco impresses me with size and arm strength (the obvious traits) but also, he was very hard to pull down, stood in the pocket against the rush, and just has a "leader" demeanor about him.......hope the Panthers have a chance at getting him....personally, I think he is the best QB in this draft, but I think it is a weak draft for QB's....xpeacex

DetroitFlyer
April 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hands down, Kevin Hoyng. Kevin will make a team as a free safety. Part of the reason he is signed is because he can run the scout team at QB, saving a team the expense of the third string QB. ( Kevin did get to throw at his pro day at Bowling Green by the way ). While running the scout team, it will become obvious that he is the best QB on the team. He will get a shot at QB and far surpass JJ or Flacco!

OK, a bit of a stretch. Actually, Kevin Hoyng and Armanti Edwards are very similar. Armanti should watch Kevin's quest to make an NFL team. It is very possible that Armanti could follow in Kevin's foot steps.... I think the NFL misses out on some potentially good QB's because they will not look at a guy unless he is at least 6' 1" and even then it is iffy.... ( Hoyng is only 6' ).

As for this poll, I have to vote for the PFL kid, ( even though he was completely outplayed by Kevin in Dayton last year ). Truth be told, it really depends on the team and the coaches. In the right system, Flacco could do very well. I am from the Burgh and I still cringe everytime Big Ben goes to throw a ball. His arm strength looks sorry as compared to a Brett Farve for example.... Still, with his size, strength, and mobility, he is able to get the job done in the Steelers system. Some have Flacco going to Tampa Bay. I would not like that at all. JJ would be a better fit in Tampa Bay. Flacco to Chicago sounds good to me. Probably an opportunity for him to play right away as well. Atlanta.... Probably a better fit for JJ once again. Draft day will be interesting....

I will be VERY surprised if anyone else on the list enjoys NFL success, but I would have said the same about Tony Romo....

I just saw where the former Harvard QB signed an almost $1 million deal with the Bengals.... Not too bad!

Here is to hoping that all of the FCS QB's make a roster and get a shot to make a name for themselves!

spelunker64
April 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
This is a heated debate? Maybe for #2...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
D-I as in FCS? All the QBs on that list have. If you are referring to him "playing' at Pitt, I would hardly call that playing. Being a back-up to Palko is really nothing to brag about. I know, it was a poor coaching choice.... but you can't give him credit for that.

I like your way of thinking!! ;) xbowx :D

GannonFan
April 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Hands down, Kevin Hoyng. Kevin will make a team as a free safety. Part of the reason he is signed is because he can run the scout team at QB, saving a team the expense of the third string QB. ( Kevin did get to throw at his pro day at Bowling Green by the way ). !

Dude, that's hysterical. No NFL team is wasting a precious roster spot on the basis of who can run the scout team QB. But dude, that's funny stuff!!!

USDFAN_55
April 19th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Dude, that's hysterical. No NFL team is wasting a precious roster spot on the basis of who can run the scout team QB. But dude, that's funny stuff!!!

Can't fault the guy for his enthusiasm. No matter how much he is blasted, he holds true to his beliefs and opinions.xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
April 19th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Can't fault the guy for his enthusiasm. No matter how much he is blasted, he holds true to his beliefs and opinions.xnodx

sounds quite a bit like someone else xrolleyesx

USDFAN_55
April 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM
sounds quite a bit like someone else xrolleyesx

Yeah, it's hard to be the minority in here. Someone has to have a different point of view, otherwise these threads would be boring.xnodx

Bison101
April 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Where is Steve Walker?

AppAlum2003
April 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Where is Steve Walker?

At his house?

smallcollegefbfan
April 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
Where is Steve Walker?

I didn't include him because he classified as short and lacks "NFL arm". Those are the things that make it tough to get a look. I should have put the "other" option so you could have voted that.

USDFAN_55
April 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM
I didn't include him because he is short and lacks "NFL arm". I should have put the "other" option so you could have voted that.

You mean like Drew Brees, Jeff Garcia, or Doug Flutie?xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
April 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
You mean like Drew Brees, Jeff Garcia, or Doug Flutie?xthumbsupx

Those are some good examples for the lack of arm and size. The problem with that list compared to Walker is that those guys came from Purdue, Boston College, and San Jose State. It would be great to see Walker in the NFL. I wish him luck!

USDFAN_55
April 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Those are some good examples for the lack of arm and size. The problem with that list compared to Walker is that those guys came from Purdue, Boston College, and San Jose State. It would be great to see Walker in the NFL. I wish him luck!

Let's be real here. San Jose State is not very good. They had a good year two seasons ago, but for the most part they are consistantly on the bottom of the FBS. NDSU is at the top of the FCS, which we all know the top FCS teams can easily compete with the bottom FBS teams.

DetroitFlyer
April 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article466948.ece

Tampa Bay likes both Flacco and Johnson....

And speaking of "small" QB's, I have watched Kevin Hoyng for years and I swear that if he were to ever get a shot at playing QB on a professional level, he would open some eyes. At 6', and coming from Dayton, he will probably not get that chance.... Remember that Kevin Hoyng, not Josh Johnson, was the PFL offensive player of the year!

Oh well, I'm kind of still hoping that former Dayton QB, Jon Gruden, signs both Josh Johnson and Kevin Hoyng. Having two former PFL players on your roster is a sure bet for another Super Bowl ring.... Of course that would also prevent Kevin from having to intercept a JJ pass, ( except in practice maybe )....

JohnStOnge
April 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I voted Flacco because the continuing NFL draft discussion one hears on the radio, etc., makes it pretty clear that he's the most highly regarded of the non FBS quarterbacks and pretty far up there with respect to quarterbacks overall.

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Let's be real here. San Jose State is not very good. They had a good year two seasons ago, but for the most part they are consistantly on the bottom of the FBS. NDSU is at the top of the FCS, which we all know the top FCS teams can easily compete with the bottom FBS teams.

San Jose State does play some good teams. I was just pointing out that it is much easier to get a look from a FBS school than FCS or D2. Wasn't NDSU a D2 school when Walker was recruited there? At the time he was considered a D2 prospect, not FCS? Right?

That is just how it is. Not saying it is right or wrong but that is usually what happens. I hope Walker does get a shot.

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article466948.ece

Tampa Bay likes both Flacco and Johnson....

And speaking of "small" QB's, I have watched Kevin Hoyng for years and I swear that if he were to ever get a shot at playing QB on a professional level, he would open some eyes. At 6', and coming from Dayton, he will probably not get that chance.... Remember that Kevin Hoyng, not Josh Johnson, was the PFL offensive player of the year!

Oh well, I'm kind of still hoping that former Dayton QB, Jon Gruden, signs both Josh Johnson and Kevin Hoyng. Having two former PFL players on your roster is a sure bet for another Super Bowl ring.... Of course that would also prevent Kevin from having to intercept a JJ pass, ( except in practice maybe )....

What is the stats on that? How many teams have won a Super Bowl with 2 PFL players on it? I know you weren't serious there but has it ever happened? That would be great if that did or has happened.

USDFAN_55
April 23rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
San Jose State does play some good teams. I was just pointing out that it is much easier to get a look from a FBS school than FCS or D2. Wasn't NDSU a D2 school when Walker was recruited there? At the time he was considered a D2 prospect, not FCS? Right?

That is just how it is. Not saying it is right or wrong but that is usually what happens. I hope Walker does get a shot.

Johnson wasn't even a D-II prospect coming out of high school. After his sophomore year at USD he was offered scholarships to a few BCS schools, but turned them down. Some guys are just late bloomers, and with the amount of talent that there is in high schools there is bound to be a few that slip through the cracks. The same goes for NFL prospects. If that wasn't the case there wouldn't be walk-ons that turn into All-Americans, and there wouldn't be UFA that turn into Pro-Bowlers.

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Johnson wasn't even a D-II prospect coming out of high school. After his sophomore year at USD he was offered scholarships to a few BCS schools, but turned them down. Some guys are just late bloomers, and with the amount of talent that there is in high schools there is bound to be a few that slip through the cracks. The same goes for NFL prospects. If that wasn't the case there wouldn't be walk-ons that turn into All-Americans, and there wouldn't be UFA that turn into Pro-Bowlers.

There are always exceptions to the rule. Johnson is much better than Walker as well. Hopefully Walker gets a tryout. There are many late bloomers. That is why D3 WR Pierre Garcon is going to get drafted. He has come out of nowhere just like Johnson has.

USDFAN_55
April 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
There are always exceptions to the rule. Johnson is much better than Walker as well. Hopefully Walker gets a tryout. There are many late bloomers. That is why D3 WR Pierre Garcon is going to get drafted. He has come out of nowhere just like Johnson has.

Ofcourse there's exceptions to every rule. If walker has the talent and competetive drive, he will at least get a shot in some teams camp. There is always a need for a QB in the NFL.

UNH 40
April 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
This was written on CBS Sportsline about the most underrated players in the draft. Santos was at the top of the list. I couldn't agree more with the statements made by the colomnist.

Ricky Santos, QB, UNH: So he doesn't have great size. Neither did Drew Brees. Santos was the Colonial Athletic Association Co-Player of the Year with another quarterback, Delaware's Joe Flacco, and you hear a lot more about Flacco than Santos. Reason: Bigger body, bigger arm.

But look what Santos did at UNH: He took the club to four straight 1-AA playoffs, reached the quarterfinals three times and turned the Wildcats into a 37-14 team while he was there. He also beat Flacco the only two times they met and knocked off Division I opponents Rutgers, Northwestern and Marshall on the road. Now for the clincher: In his career he threw for 13,212 yards and 123 touchdowns, completed 68.6 percent of his passes and won the Walter Payton Award as a junior. Size? I care about productivity. This guy has it.

Santos is going to be a great NFL QB in a few years you watch.