PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network NFL Draft Article

smallcollegefbfan
April 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

DetroitFlyer
April 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/gosselin_rankings.html

Here is a guy all the way down in Dallas that has picked up on Kevin Hoyng as his "sleeper" at free safety! Not the App kid, but Kevin Hoyng of Dayton! It does not look to me like DC dug very deep for his article.... No mention of Eric B, Wes Doyle, Kevin Hoyng, Ben Dato, and many others.... Not a great effort from a so called FCS expert. Granted, this is a somewhat subjective exercise, but I expected more.

I-AA Fan
April 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
He'll work his way down as far as it takes to get in all of the ASU players, that is about it.

USDFAN_55
April 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

Does anyone else notice how highly this article speaks of the ASU players? I don't think one negative thing was mentioned about any of them.

smallcollegefbfan
April 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Does anyone else notice how highly this article speaks of the ASU players? I don't think one negative thing was mentioned about any of them.

Jackson is the only one of the 3 who I feel like is being overrated. The other two should be mentioned.

Hoyng is a great kid but I wonder how much of a legit shot he will get in a camp? He should get a shot and probably should have been mentioned. I think DC was trying to hit main points in this. If you email him I know he would explain that he is not trying to slight the mid-majors. He talks very highly of Josh Johnson whenever he is asked. That is at least one mid-major guy he likes. In fact he has told me that he believes Johnson is better than Flacco personally but he was trying to rate players based on where they project in the draft.

PaladinFan
April 14th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Jackson is the only one of the 3 who I feel like is being overrated. The other two should be mentioned.

Hoyng is a great kid but I wonder how much of a legit shot he will get in a camp? He should get a shot and probably should have been mentioned. I think DC was trying to hit main points in this. If you email him I know he would explain that he is not trying to slight the mid-majors. He talks very highly of Josh Johnson whenever he is asked. That is at least one mid-major guy he likes. In fact he has told me that he believes Johnson is better than Flacco personally but he was trying to rate players based on where they project in the draft.

I agree with you. I'm all for SoCon guys, but I think Dexter Jackson is not quite as good as everyone thinks he is. Great speed yes, but check this out.

Jackson is
- not in the top 10 SoCon players in receiving yards per game,
- not in the top 10 of receptions per game,
- not in the top 10 all purpose yards,
- 6th in punt return avg. at 6.6 yrds (there are 8 teams)
- not top 10 in kick return average
- not top 10 in scoring

I just quickly glanced the numbers (which only list the top 10). Bear in mind that App State played 4 more games than every other player on the list (except for those at Wofford) and he still didn't crack into the top echelon of offensive players in the SoCon.

Will he get drafted? Quite possible. However, saying that teams will take a chance on him because of his game breaking speed and return ability, well, the statistics just don't back it up.

GannonFan
April 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Coulson was never high on Flacco, even when Flacco was outplaying guys he liked better in Sanders and Hill in the playoffs. Heck, SportsNetwork didn't even let Flacco on the Payton Watch list.

Tod
April 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I thought the article was fine. Anybody looking for ASU bias is, in my opinion, just looking for trouble.

I did find it interesting that Kroy Biermann of MONTANA is the only player whose alma mater wasn't mentioned. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Hoyadestroya85
April 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/gosselin_rankings.html

Here is a guy all the way down in Dallas that has picked up on Kevin Hoyng as his "sleeper" at free safety! Not the App kid, but Kevin Hoyng of Dayton! It does not look to me like DC dug very deep for his article.... No mention of Eric B, Wes Doyle, Kevin Hoyng, Ben Dato, and many others.... Not a great effort from a so called FCS expert. Granted, this is a somewhat subjective exercise, but I expected more.

If Allyn Bacchus didn't make it to the pros as a safety.. Hoyng won't

DLS
April 15th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I agree with you. I'm all for SoCon guys, but I think Dexter Jackson is not quite as good as everyone thinks he is. Great speed yes, but check this out.

Jackson is
- not in the top 10 SoCon players in receiving yards per game,
- not in the top 10 of receptions per game,
- not in the top 10 all purpose yards,
- 6th in punt return avg. at 6.6 yrds (there are 8 teams)
- not top 10 in kick return average
- not top 10 in scoring

I just quickly glanced the numbers (which only list the top 10). Bear in mind that App State played 4 more games than every other player on the list (except for those at Wofford) and he still didn't crack into the top echelon of offensive players in the SoCon.

Will he get drafted? Quite possible. However, saying that teams will take a chance on him because of his game breaking speed and return ability, well, the statistics just don't back it up.

i see what you're saying and i kind of agree. there is no way dex should going higher in the draft than corey lynch but i don think he is that overrated. he played on a team that ran mostly and even when we went to the air the ball got worked around pretty well. he made huge gains everytime he got the tiniest bit of running room.

he may be getting viewed as a raw player teams want to work with.

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
i see what you're saying and i kind of agree. there is no way dex should going higher in the draft than corey lynch but i don think he is that overrated. he played on a team that ran mostly and even when we went to the air the ball got worked around pretty well. he made huge gains everytime he got the tiniest bit of running room.

he may be getting viewed as a raw player teams want to work with.

Right. I agree with you there. Phenomenal athlete, but its hard to even call him one of the premier offensive players in the SoCon. That is thrown into even sharper contrast when you realize ASU played more games than any other team and they had the highest scoring offense.

I'm certainly not looking for ASU bias in reading these things, but calling Jackson a second round pick just jumped off the page at me. Did he even return kicks for ASU?

smallcollegefbfan
April 15th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Coulson was never high on Flacco, even when Flacco was outplaying guys he liked better in Sanders and Hill in the playoffs. Heck, SportsNetwork didn't even let Flacco on the Payton Watch list.

When asked about it he said that Flacco would not have won it so he didn't want to take votes away from Cuff by having a 2nd Deleware player.

smallcollegefbfan
April 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Right. I agree with you there. Phenomenal athlete, but its hard to even call him one of the premier offensive players in the SoCon. That is thrown into even sharper contrast when you realize ASU played more games than any other team and they had the highest scoring offense.

I'm certainly not looking for ASU bias in reading these things, but calling Jackson a second round pick just jumped off the page at me. Did he even return kicks for ASU?

What is sad is that Jackson could go late 2nd or somewhere in the 3rd round if you read the legit draft websites. To me Jackson should be a 5th round pick but he is going to go much higher than that. It would surprise me if he fell to the 4th round.

DetroitFlyer
April 15th, 2008, 08:09 AM
If Allyn Bacchus didn't make it to the pros as a safety.. Hoyng won't

Kevin Hoyng is a bit of a long shot, but he brings so much to the table that I think he has a great shot! He would be a great special teams player, free safety, and could certainly run the scout team as a QB. With his speed, athletic ability, intelligence, etc., do not be at all surprised to see him on a roster come the regular season!

smallcollegefbfan
April 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Kevin Hoyng is a bit of a long shot, but he brings so much to the table that I think he has a great shot! He would be a great special teams player, free safety, and could certainly run the scout team as a QB. With his speed, athletic ability, intelligence, etc., do not be at all surprised to see him on a roster come the regular season!

One thing about Kevin is that he still has a QB build. When I saw him he looked like a QB physically. He needs to bulk up to be able to endure the NFL game but could be a surprise. I agree with you on that. He might make a team but it is so hit and miss that it is tough to know for sure with free agent types like him.

AppGrad06
April 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM

quite a bit actually, and in '06 he ran back 2 for TDs in one game in less than 3 minutes.

DetroitFlyer
April 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
One thing about Kevin is that he still has a QB build. When I saw him he looked like a QB physically. He needs to bulk up to be able to endure the NFL game but could be a surprise. I agree with you on that. He might make a team but it is so hit and miss that it is tough to know for sure with free agent types like him.

As I hear it, the scouts have told Kevin that he needs to beef up to around 205 and not lose any speed. He weighed in at 194 during his pro day. I know that he is working out six days a week and is working to beef up as well. Hopefully, he will be closer to 200 lbs and just as quick when camps open up.

smallcollegefbfan
April 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
As I hear it, the scouts have told Kevin that he needs to beef up to around 205 and not lose any speed. He weighed in at 194 during his pro day. I know that he is working out six days a week and is working to beef up as well. Hopefully, he will be closer to 200 lbs and just as quick when camps open up.

That is what I figured. He will need to gain weight but once he does he might surprise and make a roster.