PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Work Out FCS QB

smallcollegefbfan
March 24th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Josh Johnson was recently worked out by New England. That is a good sign. Maybe they will take him in the 3rd or 4th round?

danefan
March 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
and where did he go to school?

San Diego.

ereiz03
March 25th, 2008, 01:55 AM
and where did he go to school?

He went to USD. Is this your first time on the board?

Umass74
March 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
The NY Giants may draft Johnson and move him to WR (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/24/patriots-examine-drafts-most-intriguing-player/?hp).

Rob Iola
March 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM
The NY Giants may draft Johnson and move him to WR (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/24/patriots-examine-drafts-most-intriguing-player/?hp).
A.R.E. (I'm a Redskins fan...)

USDFAN_55
March 25th, 2008, 01:26 PM

That would be the worst possible thing to do. The person that wrote this article obviously doesn't know much about JJ except from what he reads and what his friends tell him. JJ threw just fine in his pro day work out. There is no way he will be drafted to be a WR. The other players mentioned in the article that were converted to WR were not very good throwing QBs. They were very athletic QBs. JJ is athletic and he can throw.

danefan
March 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
That would be the worst possible thing to do. The person that wrote this article obviously doesn't know much about JJ except from what he reads and what his friends tell him. JJ threw just fine in his pro day work out. There is no way he will be drafted to be a WR. The other players mentioned in the article that were converted to WR were not very good throwing QBs. They were very athletic QBs. JJ is athletic and he can throw.

I agree that he'll be fine at QB. I do, however, think he would also be a pretty darn good WR too!

Hoyadestroya85
March 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I would love to have him on the Giants as a WR and emergency back up QB and potentially even compete with Carr for the true back up position

USDFAN_55
March 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Puting him at WR will be a waste of his talent. xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
March 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I'd like to counter that and say that it would be getting the most out of his athletic ability.. Let's be realistic here, he wasn't throwing the ball being chased by Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan, and his receivers weren't being covered by Champ Bailey

bleedblue
March 26th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Puting him at WR will be a waste of his talent. xnodx

The beauty of this is we will find out. Just stay in touch all you USD fans so we can discuss the outcome.

bleedblue
March 26th, 2008, 04:13 AM

Obviously.

USDFAN_55
March 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I'd like to counter that and say that it would be getting the most out of his athletic ability.. Let's be realistic here, he wasn't throwing the ball being chased by Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan, and his receivers weren't being covered by Champ Bailey

Well I guess the same can be said about many other QBs in the draft.xnodx That is the most rediculous reasoning for puting him at WR. Just because he is athletic it doesn't mean he should play a skilled position. If that was the case, why didn't they move Vick or Young to a skilled position? Those guys are very athletic, and are fairly poor at throwing the ball. I would understand moving Johnson to WR if he was an option or spread offense QB in college, because the learning curve for him to learn how to play a real NFL offense would be too big. The fact is he ran an NFL style offense, and was very efficient at it.

USDFAN_55
March 26th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Obviously.

Yes, obviously.xnodx xreadx xnodx xreadx

JohnStOnge
March 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM
If they don't give him a shot to play QB that'd be a tragedy.

Rob Iola
March 26th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm telling you, the same comments were made about ARE, and he was switched to WR and never looked back (though he has had a couple TD passes on trick plays)...

zymergy
March 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Do you think he will complain about the switch or be happy to be drafted and do whatever the team wants him to do? Hmmmmmm.

andy7171
March 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Do you think he will complain about the switch or be happy to be drafted and do whatever the team wants him to do? Hmmmmmm.

Exactly.

"Son, we are prepared to pay you $500,000 to be our 4th WR, do you have any problems with that?"

"NO SIR!"

USDFAN_55
March 26th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'm telling you, the same comments were made about ARE, and he was switched to WR and never looked back (though he has had a couple TD passes on trick plays)...

He was more of a runner than JJ. JJ's first instinct is to pass the ball; running is a last resort.

USDFAN_55
March 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Exactly.

"Son, we are prepared to pay you $500,000 to be our 4th WR, do you have any problems with that?"

"NO SIR!"

It's not always about the money. He has a chip on his shoulder to show everyone he can be a very successfull QB in the NFL.

danefan
March 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I don't care who you are. $500,000 a year for being in the NFL as a jock strap washer will remove any chip no matter what size that is.

USDFAN_55
March 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I don't care who you are. $500,000 a year for being in the NFL as a jock strap washer will remove any chip no matter what size that is.

If that is your only opportunity, of course you take it. If Josh has multiple options and the one he really want doesn't pay as much, but is the position he want to play, I would think he would take less money. He really isn't a great athlete when you compare him to WR's, but he is when you compare him to other QB's. Not saying that he can't succeed at WR, I just think his upside at the QB position is way too high to ignore.

Hoyadestroya85
March 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM
But he was Playing against subpar competition... I'd like to see him get a shot at QB.. but i think teams should have a backup plan.. because he's more untested than a guy like flacco

USDFAN_55
March 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM
But he was Playing against subpar competition... I'd like to see him get a shot at QB.. but i think teams should have a backup plan.. because he's more untested than a guy like flacco

That is the craziest thing I have heard. It's not like Flacco was playing USC, LSU, or Florida. Thanks for the laugh thoughxlolx

lizrdgizrd
March 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
That is the craziest thing I have heard. It's not like Flacco was playing USC, LSU, or Florida. Thanks for the laugh thoughxlolx
Johnson was playing against Davidson, Butler, and Jacksonville. Now tell me he's faced tougher competition than Flacco. xeyebrowx

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Johnson was playing against Davidson, Butler, and Jacksonville. Now tell me he's faced tougher competition than Flacco. xeyebrowx

I never said he did, but the previous poster made it sound like Flacco was so much more battle tested because of his competition level.... give me a break.

lizrdgizrd
March 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I never said he did, but the previous poster made it sound like Flacco was so much more battle tested because of his competition level.... give me a break.
You don't think the CAA is a step above the PFL in competition? xnutsx

DetroitFlyer
March 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Wow, IQ test time....

As always, I am glad to help you out here....

Lesson #1: To an FBS fan, FCS is considered "sub-par" competition....

Lesson #2: How do we evaluate kids from non-FBS conferences? I know, let's invite them to an all star game, say the East / West Shrine game to see how they perform against "real" competition....

Lesson #3: Final exam time genius: Who exactly was the MVP of the East / West Shrine game?

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM
You don't think the CAA is a step above the PFL in competition? xnutsx

You are completely missing the point. Yes the CAA is a tougher confrence.... no, it does not make you so much more ready to be an NFL QB. If we go by this logic, then it would mean that Booty, Henne, Ainge, Dixon, Woodson, and many other FBS QBs are way more battle tested than the beloved Flacco. I think Flacco should have a back-up planxsmiley_wix

Dane96
March 27th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Guys-- Brad Smith has been getting better and better. The Pats are looking at Josh Johnson to be a WR as well, with emergency back up duties.

Facts are facts. He will get the oppty to fling the pigskin, however he will be primarily worked out at receiver by most teams.

Brad Smith=Josh Johnson.

No shame in that.

lizrdgizrd
March 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
You are completely missing the point. Yes the CAA is a tougher confrence.... no, it does not make you so much more ready to be an NFL QB. If we go by this logic, then it would mean that Booty, Henne, Ainge, Dixon, Woodson, and many other FBS QBs are way more battle tested than the beloved Flacco. I think Flacco should have a back-up planxsmiley_wix

I think it means scouts know better what to expect from them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying JJ is crap or that he wouldn't be able to cut it as an NFL QB. I'm just saying that playing against competition that more closely resembles NFL level competition is likely to help a player succeed at that level.

Dane96
March 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Exactly.

Hoyadestroya85
March 27th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I was saying that the PFL pales in comparison to the CAA, i've witnessed Flacco play against a decent Villanova defense, but i've seen his cannon, i've read JJ doesn't have prototypical arm strength.. using the best possible terms I think JJ is definitely a work in progress and that he will most likely be a WR in the NFL.. and I think people should just be happy that he will get a shot

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I was saying that the PFL pales in comparison to the CAA, i've witnessed Flacco play against a decent Villanova defense, but i've seen his cannon, i've read JJ doesn't have prototypical arm strength.. using the best possible terms I think JJ is definitely a work in progress and that he will most likely be a WR in the NFL.. and I think people should just be happy that he will get a shot

Montana and Brady didn't have "prototypical" arm strength. Dig all you want. The facts are JJ has the skills and the back ground needed to be a good NFL QB.

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I think it means scouts know better what to expect from them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying JJ is crap or that he wouldn't be able to cut it as an NFL QB. I'm just saying that playing against competition that more closely resembles NFL level competition is likely to help a player succeed at that level.

How about playing in an offense that more closely resembles an NFL offense?

lizrdgizrd
March 27th, 2008, 11:11 AM
How about playing in an offense that more closely resembles an NFL offense?
That's useful when learning a new offense that's similar, but he'll still have to get used to the difference in ability of defenders.

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
That's useful when learning a new offense that's similar, but he'll still have to get used to the difference in ability of defenders.

So then the question is: Is it more valuable to be well versed in an NFL offensive scheme, or be used to the ability of the defenders?

lizrdgizrd
March 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM
So then the question is: Is it more valuable to be well versed in an NFL offensive scheme, or be used to the ability of the defenders?
That's the $1M question. xnodx

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
That's the $1M question. xnodx

I guess that's why good talent evaluators like Bellicheck are a hot commodity.xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
March 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm not saying that he doesn't have the ability to do it but all i know is that his stock as a QB is falling but his stock as an athlete is rising, i'm truly rooting for Josh in every sense of the word, but i'm skeptical that his great season this year translates into NFL success or even a shot at playing QB

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not saying that he doesn't have the ability to do it but all i know is that his stock as a QB is falling but his stock as an athlete is rising, i'm truly rooting for Josh in every sense of the word, but i'm skeptical that his great season this year translates into NFL success or even a shot at playing QB

What information supports that claim? He showed at his pro day that he can throw. His poor showing (throwing the ball) at the combine was due to back spasms (according to a coach I talked to). That's the problem I have with many opinions of people regarding NFL talent ability. One may see a QB who is very athletic, and the assumption is immediately that he'll be a WR or PR in the NFL. You see a QB with a monster arm and assume he'll be great in the NFL as a QB. The intangibles are what's most important, and Josh has them (adequate arm strength, accuracy, footwork, football smarts, leadership, play making ability, experience in an NFL offense, NFL caliber coaching, competetive drive).

Hoyadestroya85
March 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
draft scout.. a fairly trusted resource

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=61532

Don't see where that is mentioned? Besides, how trustworthy are these sites? They guess wildly on where guys will get drafted (most accurate 2007 mock draft I saw for the more popular draft sites was 25%; that's not so good in my book), so why should I even trust their evaluation of a player. Most of these guys writing have no clue what they are talking about. Try not believeing everything you readxthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
March 27th, 2008, 06:07 PM
up until yesterday there was a downward facing arrow.. hmm
maybe that's a good sign

USDFAN_55
March 27th, 2008, 06:18 PM
up until yesterday there was a downward facing arrow.. hmm
maybe that's a good sign

It's possible they were late in updating his stock value after his pro day performance. Either way I tend to not take much from these opinions. I like to see for myself. They are a good tool to use to learn about lesser known talent, but then you should hunt down some video footage what the hype is all about.

bleedblue
April 1st, 2008, 01:34 AM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=61532

Don't see where that is mentioned? Besides, how trustworthy are these sites? They guess wildly on where guys will get drafted (most accurate 2007 mock draft I saw for the more popular draft sites was 25%; that's not so good in my book), so why should I even trust their evaluation of a player. Most of these guys writing have no clue what they are talking about. Try not believeing everything you readxthumbsupx

That's a great idea and I'll start with your posts. Fact is you have NO clue how Josh will play in the NFL or if he plays QB at all. Destroy your keyboard and I will buy you a new one to type the "I told you so's" when or if Josh makes it.

Hoyadestroya85
April 1st, 2008, 03:04 AM
Wow.. Well worded.. i'm rooting for Josh Though xthumbsupx

bleedblue
April 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM
Wow.. Well worded.. i'm rooting for Josh Though xthumbsupx

Me too. Although I root for anyone that shines a light on the FCS world.

SideLine Shooter
April 1st, 2008, 08:41 AM

JJ could play on my team anyday!!!!!xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
April 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM
JJ could play on my team anyday!!!!!xthumbsupx

As a wide receiver or QB?

USDFAN_55
April 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
[/B]

That's a great idea and I'll start with your posts. Fact is you have NO clue how Josh will play in the NFL or if he plays QB at all. Destroy your keyboard and I will buy you a new one to type the "I told you so's" when or if Josh makes it.

No one can tell the future. You can make educated guesses by weighing in the information you know, but it's still just a guess. I've said the same thing to you Flacco lovers, but all I get in response is that I have no clue what I'm talking about. I guess only the Deleware fans know which players will succedd at the next levelxsmiley_wix

Trust me, I'll be the first one in here writing up a storm when Johnson shines in the NFLxthumbsupx

bleedblue
April 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM
No one can tell the future. You can make educated guesses by weighing in the information you know, but it's still just a guess. I've said the same thing to you Flacco lovers, but all I get in response is that I have no clue what I'm talking about. I guess only the Deleware fans know which players will succedd at the next levelxsmiley_wix

Trust me, I'll be the first one in here writing up a storm when Johnson shines in the NFLxthumbsupx

Here is the thing. You think, from what I can tell, that these draft expert people are wrong when it comes to Josh in comparison to Joe. That just seems crazy. We don't have what they have when it comes to comparing college kids and by that I mean the contacts and resources that Mel Kiper have for example. If you tried to look at this as if you were not a fan of Josh or Joe I think you would see more pro's than con's for Joe, in terms of the NFL. Now I am not saying Joe will have more success or visa versa. But it "SEEMS" one would rate Joe higher than Josh, slightly (1 nfl round perhaps). You can make an argument against that and I understand that but I would bet Kiper has a better understanding of how college kids translate to the NFL. I know he's been wrong and I get that but you have to try to see the other side of your argument as well. That's all I and other posters have tried to argue. Chances are that neither Joe or Josh are ever considered a mid level NFL starting QB. Good luck to Josh I hope he continues to prove that the kids that play at our level can make if in the NFL.

USDFAN_55
April 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
Here is the thing. You think, from what I can tell, that these draft expert people are wrong when it comes to Josh in comparison to Joe. That just seems crazy. We don't have what they have when it comes to comparing college kids and by that I mean the contacts and resources that Mel Kiper have for example. If you tried to look at this as if you were not a fan of Josh or Joe I think you would see more pro's than con's for Joe, in terms of the NFL. Now I am not saying Joe will have more success or visa versa. But it "SEEMS" one would rate Joe higher than Josh, slightly (1 nfl round perhaps). You can make an argument against that and I understand that but I would bet Kiper has a better understanding of how college kids translate to the NFL. I know he's been wrong and I get that but you have to try to see the other side of your argument as well. That's all I and other posters have tried to argue. Chances are that neither Joe or Josh are ever considered a mid level NFL starting QB. Good luck to Josh I hope he continues to prove that the kids that play at our level can make if in the NFL.

I'm not in here trying to say Josh is better than Joe (vice versa). All I'm trying to say is that the media (including Kiper) has a knack for over hyping players each year. In a way I feel bad for Joe, because the hype will put a lot of pressure on him to succeed sooner; when in reality he could use at least two years with a good QB coach to work on the things that were neglected while he was at Deleware. All I've been doing is keeping it real. Some people take that as blasphemy. I'm sorry if I don't agree with the media in saying Flacco is an early 2nd round (possibly late 1st round) pick; not a very good value pick in my opinion. That in no way means I am not pulling for him to succeed. I too love seeing the small school players make it big in the NFL.

smallcollegefbfan
April 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
I'm not in here trying to say Josh is better than Joe (vice versa). All I'm trying to say is that the media (including Kiper) has a knack for over hyping players each year. In a way I feel bad for Joe, because the hype will put a lot of pressure on him to succeed sooner; when in reality he could use at least two years with a good QB coach to work on the things that were neglected while he was at Deleware. All I've been doing is keeping it real. Some people take that as blasphemy. I'm sorry if I don't agree with the media in saying Flacco is an early 2nd round (possibly late 1st round) pick; not a very good value pick in my opinion. That in no way means I am not pulling for him to succeed. I too love seeing the small school players make it big in the NFL.

I agree with you. Flacco is more of a 4th round type guy to me. He could be good but needs time to develop.

Rating FCS players too high can hurt them by taking the chip off their shoulder. Many FCS players make it because they simply work hard due to feeling they are an underdog. FCS guys who go in the 1st and early 2nd round have a lot of pressure on them and it sort of takes away the chip on their shoulder. Anytime you see a FCS player with an ego they run into problems. Jerome Mathis had a bit of an ego and while he showed he had big talent he also ran into some off field issues. I like when a FCS player goes in the late rounds and comes out of nowhere i.e. Marques Colston types.