PDA

View Full Version : Southern Pigskin predictions- SoCon

Pages : 1 [2]

Touchdown Yosef
April 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
That was my thought. Last year was far from a stellar years defensively for any team. Seems like a mild improvement in the defense for Elon could set them up for one heck of a year.

It is going to be fun to watch. They really scare me with that passing game matching up against our young secondary.

Elon also lost their offensive coordinater and it will interesting to see what effect that loss has on their offense.

GSUhooligan
April 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Who would the four losses be to? i'd poop myself if that happened.

Four of the following; LSU, GSU, Elon, Furman, A Citadel, or JMU

Touchdown Yosef
April 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM

Wofford is probably more likely than a few of those teams.

OL FU
April 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Everyone seems improved, or maybe just optimistic. I think we'll have a very good team this year, but I wouldn't be shocked to have three or four losses.

I may be the only FU fan, but my optimism is cautious at best. I do think we have a lot of talent and while I am not so concerned about the offense apparently there will be a new scheme for both offense and defense and we also know that new schemes can take a while to develop.

Lamb was quoted in the paper that we would pass about 30 times a game. Not a lot for some but for Furman a big change. I doubt we averaged 20 passes during Martin's tenure.

The D change is critical. We lose some important players on last year's D. The emphasis on defensive speed is a good one and we recruited for speed this year. We will see if we have it for '08.

OL FU
April 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Little more than my gut tells me right now (not standings predictions just groupings):

1. ASU
2. WC, Elon and The Citadel
3. FU and GSU.
4. WCU, Chatt and Samford.

If Elon's defense improves they could move up.
WCU's new coach could give them a momentum push. But unknowns keep them low for the pre-season.

AshevilleApp2
April 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM

Or as Touchdown Yosef said Wofford. LSU is a likely loss. GSU and JMU are tough road games. Thankfully the South Carolina contingent and Elon (if I remember correctly) come to Boone. I wouldn't be at all surprised to go into conference play at 2-2. I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't be a shock.

I still think App would make the playoffs at 8-4, based on recent history and early season rankings. We had three losses in 2005 and still got the number 2 seed, and that was starting the season unranked.

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Or as Touchdown Yosef said Wofford. LSU is a likely loss. GSU and JMU are tough road games. Thankfully the South Carolina contingent and Elon (if I remember correctly) come to Boone. I wouldn't be at all surprised to go into conference play at 2-2. I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't be a shock.

I still think App would make the playoffs at 8-4, based on recent history and early season rankings. We had three losses in 2005 and still got the number 2 seed, and that was starting the season unranked.

I'm still mad about that one. Especially when a team that beat you and had a better record got no seed. xbawlingx

AshevilleApp2
April 2nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'm still mad about that one. Especially when a team that beat you and had a better record got no seed. xbawlingx

I thought ya'll got the third seed that year? You have to remember that two of our losses were to Kansas and LSU, both of whom played in bowl games. I admit I was surprised that App was #2, but we did win the conference outright. That probably made the difference.

OL FU
April 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
I thought ya'll got the third seed that year? You have to remember that two of our losses were to Kansas and LSU, both of whom played in bowl games. I admit I was surprised that App was #2, but we did win the conference outright. That probably made the difference.

We had no one to blame but ourself. Western beat us:(

ElonPride
April 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Anybody have a feel for Elon's defense this year. A quick look at last year's roster says they have almost everybody coming back. The question is does that improve the defense. If it does, keep your eye on themxnodx

I am pretty optimistic for this coming season. If the D stays pretty much healthy, then there shouldn't be too many problems (depth was a big problem).

Lembo was quoted as saying the defensive backs have come into this year's spring session with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. That was because the secondary basically lost 2 games for Elon (ie Furman and El Cid).

The team returns 18 starters, which is pretty scary.

I don't think there be any easy game in the conference this season.